New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 6 of 61 FirstFirst 123456789101112131415163156 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #151
    Titan in the Playground

Question Re: Simple RAW Thread for 3.5 #35: 3/2 Score And Four Threads Ago

Q 078 (?)

Are there any rules for "unhorsing" a mounted opponent?

2. - Top - End - #152
    Titan in the Playground

Default Re: Simple RAW Thread for 3.5 #35: 3/2 Score And Four Threads Ago

A78 If you successfully trip a mounted opponent (opposed by his ride check,) he is unmounted.
    I've got a new fantasy TTRPG about running your own fencing school in a 3 musketeers pastiche setting. Book coming soon.

Check out my NEW sci-fi TTRPG about first contact. Cool alien races, murderous AIs, and more. New expansion featuring rules for ships! New book here NOW!

Quote Originally Posted by weckar View Post
    Venger, can you be my full-time memory aid please?
    Iron Chef Medals!
    Amazing Princess Mononoke avatar by Dispozition

3. - Top - End - #153
    Ogre in the Playground

WhiteWizardGirl

Q 79

Can someone flank or get a flanking bonus when weilding a ranged weapon? Does the answer change if the creature has Arrow Mind up?

If a 4th Elocator with arrow mind and sneak attack uses their flanker ability to treat an adjacent square as their occupied space for flanking, can they make flanked attacks from a range with a ranged weapon, and gain their sneak attack?
    Last edited by El'the Ellie; 2019-06-29 at 12:45 AM.
    Spoiler: Small Grammatical Library: use as desired. Please return links to front desk after checking them out.
    Show

4. - Top - End - #154
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by El'the Ellie View Post
    Q 79

Can someone flank or get a flanking bonus when weilding a ranged weapon? Does the answer change if the creature has Arrow Mind up?
    A79 Not unless they threaten, such as with an elvencraft bow, for example. Arrow mind allows you to threaten, so it would allow you to flank and provide flanking.

If a 4th Elocator with arrow mind and sneak attack uses their flanker ability to treat an adjacent square as their occupied space for flanking, can they make flanked attacks from a range with a ranged weapon, and gain their sneak attack?
    Yes.
    I've got a new fantasy TTRPG about running your own fencing school in a 3 musketeers pastiche setting. Book coming soon.

Check out my NEW sci-fi TTRPG about first contact. Cool alien races, murderous AIs, and more. New expansion featuring rules for ships! New book here NOW!

Iron Chef Medals!

5. - Top - End - #155
    Pixie in the Playground

HalflingRogueGuy

Q80

This is a 3.5 psionic question, Does this work?

Round 1: use any power with the matapower link power (the linked power is synchronicity)

Round 2: use the power hustle, link power synchronicity goes off and now I can take two full rounds of attack?

Synchronicity
    You gain a brief glimpse into the future that allows you to arrange a coincidence of of events. When you manifeeeest this power, you can ready a standard action (without spending an action to do so) and use it whenver you choose before your next turn. Unlike the normal use of readied actions, you need not specify the condition under which you take your readied action. If you do not perform your readied action before your next turn, you lose that action.
    Augment
    If you spend 2 additional power points, you do not need to specify the standard action you are readying. In effect, you can take your normal move action and then take any standard action at some later point in the round, depending on how events unfold.

Hustle
    You gain an additional move action in the current round. Taking a full round’s worth of attacks and then using this power to move away from your foe does provoke attacks of opportunity.
    You can manifest this power with an instant thought, quickly enough to gain the benefit of the power before you move. Manifesting the power is a swift action You cannot manifest this power when it isn’t your turn.

Thanks.

6. - Top - End - #156
    Titan in the Playground

ElfRangerGuy

A 80

No.

Synchronicity refers to the rules for readying an action. You cannot combine a readied action with a spare Move action to get a Full-Round action.
    "Nothing you can't spell will ever work." - Will Rogers

Watch me draw and swear at video games.

7. - Top - End - #157
    Bugbear in the Playground

Q 81

What is the effect of a Confusion spell cast on a swarm that isn't a hive mind (and is susceptible to it, i.e. non-vermin) or a mob (from Cityscape)?

My guess is the saving throw is unique, as usual for swarms or mobs, but does the varying effect each round apply to the whole swarm/mob, or is it rather applied to part of it (in other words, 30% of them attack each other, 20% flee away, 30% do nothing but babble, etc.), very likely breaking the swarm/mob in the process?
    Spoiler
    Show

DM: At the end of the meal, the innkeeper is bringing you the cheese plate. Roll for initiative.
    PC: Excuse me, what?
    DM: I said, roll for initiative. They like their cheese really ripe in these parts. They have the ooze type.

"Excuse me, but... is it a GOOD or a BAD thing when the DM can't help bursting into laughter every time he hears the phrase 'level-appropriate encounter'? No, just curious..."

Extended signature

8. - Top - End - #158
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by St Fan View Post
    Q 81

What is the effect of a Confusion spell cast on a swarm that isn't a hive mind (and is susceptible to it, i.e. non-vermin) or a mob (from Cityscape)?

My guess is the saving throw is unique, as usual for swarms or mobs, but does the varying effect each round apply to the whole swarm/mob, or is it rather applied to part of it (in other words, 30% of them attack each other, 20% flee away, 30% do nothing but babble, etc.), very likely breaking the swarm/mob in the process?
    A 81

Your answer is amusing and I’d support it as a houserule, but I do not believe it is RAW.

Quote Originally Posted by SRD, Swarms
    Swarm
    Swarms are dense masses of Fine, Diminutive, or Tiny creatures that would not be particularly dangerous in small groups, but can be terrible foes when gathered in sufficient numbers. For game purposes a swarm is defined as a single creature with a space of 10 feet—gigantic hordes are actually composed of dozens of swarms in close proximity. A swarm has a single pool of Hit Dice and hit points, a single initiative modifier, a single speed, and a single Armor Class. It makes saving throws as a single creature.
    A swarm is treated as a single creature. This doesn’t have an exception for random effects that aren’t simply saving throws. (A ground-bound swarm like a rat swarm doesn’t have to make a gazillion Balance checks to determine which individual rats fall prone when moving through a grease spell or a similar Balance-requiring area, for example.)
    Last edited by Zaq; 2019-06-29 at 10:57 AM.
    In the Beginning Was the Word, and the Word Was Suck: A Guide to Truenamers

Quote Originally Posted by Doc Roc View Post
    Gentlefolk, learn from Zaq's example, and his suffering. Remember, seven out of eleven players who use truenamer lose their ability to taste ice cream.
    My compiled Iron Chef stuff!

~ Gay all day, queer all year ~

9. - Top - End - #159
    Troll in the Playground

Q82: If you take Vow of Poverty on an even-numbered level, do you gain a bonus exalted feat at that level?

Quote Originally Posted by VoP
    Bonus Exalted Feats: At 1st level, an ascetic gets a bonus exalted feat, and another bonus feat at 2nd level and every 2 levels thereafter. Unlike the other benefits of a vow of poverty, a character does not gain these bonus feats retroactively when he takes the Vow of Poverty feat; he only gains those bonus feats that apply for the levels he gains after swearing his vow. Thus, the bonus feat gained at 1st level is available only to humans who take both Sacred Vow and Vow of Poverty at 1st level.
    The wording is a bit odd here, as it states your bonus feats only apply for levels after swearing your vow, but then also says that a human who takes Sacred Vow and VoP at 1st level also gains a bonus exalted feat at that level.
    Optimization Showcase in the Playground

Former projects:
    Shadowcaster Handbook
    Archer Build Compendium

Iron Chef Awards!
    Spoiler
    Show

GOLD
    IC LXXVI: Talos
    IC LXXV: Alphonse Louise Constant
    IC XLIX: Babalon, Queen of Bones
    IC XLV: Dead Mists
    IC XL: Lycus Blackbeak
    IC XXXIX: AM-1468
    IC XXXV: Parsifal the Fool
    IC XXX: Jal Filius

10. - Top - End - #160
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Piggy Knowles View Post
    Q82: If you take Vow of Poverty on an even-numbered level, do you gain a bonus exalted feat at that level?

The wording is a bit odd here, as it states your bonus feats only apply for levels after swearing your vow, but then also says that a human who takes Sacred Vow and VoP at 1st level also gains a bonus exalted feat at that level.
    It says you only gain the bonus feats for levels gained after you take the vow, but then gives a clarifying example where you gain the bonus feat and the vow at the same level. The reasonable conclusion resolving this contradiction is that the timing is just a bit wonky due to the abstracted nature of leveling up, and you do in fact gain the bonus feat for the level you take the vow—or, alternatively, you could say that you only just leveled up to level 6, and you have the whole rest of the level ahead of you. Either that or 1st level is different somehow, so it only works for exactly level 1. I could see an argument for either reading, but I think the former is better supported by RAI. Remember that the general rule for feats is that you can take them at the same level you qualify for them—not directly applicable here, but definitely an analogous precedent, IMO.
    Last edited by Troacctid; 2019-06-30 at 12:57 PM.

11. - Top - End - #161

DwarfBarbarianGuy

Q83 In the Digester entry in the Monster Manual, the Acid Spray ability says:

Quote Originally Posted by Monster Manual; Digester, Acid Spray pg 59
    A digester can spray acid in a 20-foot cone, dealing 4d8 points of damage to everything in the area. Once a digester uses this ability, it can't use it again until 1d4 rounds later. The creature can also produce a concentrated stream of acid that deals 8d8 points of damage to a single target within 5 feet. In either case, a DC 17 Reflex save halves the damage. The save DC is Constitution-based.
    Based on that, it sounds like the 20 ft spary that deals 4d8 damage to everything is the only acid spray ability that takes 1d4 rounds to recharge. Is this correct, or is any use of the Acid Spray ability on a 1d4 round recharge?
    Last edited by AnimeTheCat; 2019-07-01 at 09:09 AM.

12. - Top - End - #162
    Firbolg in the Playground

Q84

if a material from another plane is brought to the material plane then animated where does Banishment send the resultant creature?

Same question as above but for Reincarnate making someone a new body on another planr when the person is originally from the material plane?

BONUS Q
    What if the animated creature is half otherplanar material and half material plane material that was transported to the other plane?
    Last edited by unseenmage; 2019-07-01 at 10:39 AM.

13. - Top - End - #163

Quote Originally Posted by AnimeTheCat View Post
    Based on that, it sounds like the 20 ft spray that deals 4d8 damage to everything is the only acid spray ability that takes 1d4 rounds to recharge. Is this correct, or is any use of the Acid Spray ability on a 1d4 round recharge?
    A 83
    I think the intent of the ability is that it takes 1d4 rounds between any use (the time for the body glands to fill up with acid), whether a cloud or line, but you're correct to note that this is badly worded.
    Last edited by St Fan; 2019-07-01 at 11:10 AM.
    Spoiler
    Show

DM: At the end of the meal, the innkeeper is bringing you the cheese plate. Roll for initiative.
    PC: Excuse me, what?
    DM: I said, roll for initiative. They like their cheese really ripe in these parts. They have the ooze type.

"Excuse me, but... is it a GOOD or a BAD thing when the DM can't help bursting into laughter every time he hears the phrase 'level-appropriate encounter'? No, just curious..."

Extended signature

14. - Top - End - #164
    Ogre in the Playground

Beholder

A84

By RAW, you're native to the plane you're born in, and Reincarnate does birth you anew, so you'd be native to the plane you were reincarnated in.

It might even qualify as a reason to obtain Celestial/Fiendish/Axiomatic/Anarchic templates depending on your DM.
    Quote Originally Posted by noob View Post
    Honestly the fastest way to make a paladin fall is to cast the grease spell or to trip the paladin.

15. - Top - End - #165
    Dwarf in the Playground

GnomeWizardGuy

Q85
    Does the "polymorph any object" spell work on liches?

16. - Top - End - #166
    Dwarf in the Playground

GnomeWizardGuy

Q86
    Can you use "Moment of Prescience" to gain a bonus to your initiative roll?

17. - Top - End - #167
    Ogre in the Playground

Beholder

A85

Liches are immune to Polymorph. However, it's explicitly stated that they can use Polymorph on themselves.

Quote Originally Posted by SRD
    Immunities (Ex)

Liches have immunity to cold, electricity, polymorph (though they can use polymorph effects on themselves), and mind-affecting attacks.
    Last edited by MisterKaws; 2019-07-02 at 07:39 AM.

18. - Top - End - #168
    Titan in the Playground

A86 Yes. Initiative is an opposed ability check.

Iron Chef Medals!

19. - Top - End - #169
    Nerdomancer in the Playground Moderator

DruidGuy

Q87

if you have a SLA that uses an 8th level spell, could you take Extra Spell or Extra Slot to give you a 7th level spell?

Assume that you don't have a 7th lvl slot by class progression.
    Last edited by jdizzlean; 2019-07-02 at 03:06 PM.
    Spoiler: Medals & Current Characters
    Show

Quote Originally Posted by Nifft View Post
    More sources, more choices, more power. Welcome to D&D.
    Quote Originally Posted by Peelee
    I mean, I have been assuming Jdizzlean looks like Nathan Fillion this whole time to start with...
    The Mod Life Crisis If you need me to address a thread as a Moderator, please include a link

20. - Top - End - #170
    Ogre in the Playground

Beholder

A87

While the caster level would indeed let you qualify for the feats, SLAs don't count as spells of equivalent level for pre-requisites, although they do count if the pre-requisite includes being able to cast the specific spell the SLA is derived from. Thus, you would only be able to choose a spell up to one level lower than the highest-level real spell you can cast. The specific rules for this are at the beginning of the Prestige Classes chapter of Complete Arcane, although I don't have my glasses right now to read it.

We should take this to dysfunctional rules, since you can actually qualify for the feats without being able to choose a spell.
    Honestly the fastest way to make a paladin fall is to cast the grease spell or to trip the paladin.

21. - Top - End - #171
    Ogre in the Playground

WhiteWizardGirl

Q 88

When a wilder augments a power and uses wild surge, does the wild surge pay for the entire augment cost, or only for the additional points allowed by the manifester level increase?

Example: a 4th level wilder manifests Vigor for 5 power points, to gain 25 hp. Do they spend 4 points (and the 5th point is supplied by the wild surge) or do they spend 1 point (and the remaining 4 are supplied by the surge)?
    Spoiler: Small Grammatical Library: use as desired. Please return links to front desk after checking them out.
    Show

22. - Top - End - #172
    Ogre in the Playground

Beholder

A88

The class feature specifies that only the exact value augmented by Wild Surge is free:

however, she pays no extra power point for this wild surge. Instead, the additional 1 power point that would normally be required to augment the power is effectively supplied by the wild surge.
    And then it just mentions the scaling later, while following the same rules.

23. - Top - End - #173
    Firbolg in the Playground

Q89
    When using the Wish spell to transport a character can the transportation be detected or redirected as with Teleport spells/effects?

Can one be followed using magic if one is wish transported?
    Last edited by unseenmage; 2019-07-04 at 05:12 PM.

24. - Top - End - #174
    Titan in the Playground

A89 No. Anticipate teleportation only detects spells with the [teleportation] descriptor, as do similar effects. While wish would inherit that if it were mimicking a spell, using its own native transport function does not impart the descriptor.

No for similar reasons.

Iron Chef Medals!

25. - Top - End - #175
    Ogre in the Playground

Q 90
    The insanity caused by prismatic spray, does it bypass mind affecting immunity?
    Quote Originally Posted by Zaq View Post
    I feel like telling the ghost of Gary Gygax to hold your beer is a good way to suddenly stop being the GM, but I have to admit that this would probably be remarkably effective. At what, I dunno, but effective.
    Quote Originally Posted by Zombulian View Post
    I am continually astounded by how new you are here in contrast to how impressive your mind is.

26. - Top - End - #176
    Titan in the Playground

A90 Yes. It simply references the insanity spell because insane is not a condition on its own. Prismatic spray is not mind-affecting.

Iron Chef Medals!

27. - Top - End - #177
    Pixie in the Playground

Q. 91: Can sneak attack at range against targets under the effects of the Phantom Threat spell (spell compendium page 157)?

28. - Top - End - #178
    Ogre in the Playground

Beholder

A91

The rogue’s attack deals extra damage any time her target would be denied a Dexterity bonus to AC (whether the target actually has a Dexterity bonus or not), or when the rogue flanks her target.
    The Rogue is not flanking the target in this case, so no.

29. - Top - End - #179
    Barbarian in the Playground

EvilClericGuy

Q92

A) If I have a 1st level incarnate with psycarnum infusion and I activate it on a soulmeld, how much essentia would I have in that soulmeld for that round?
    B) What kind of action is it to use psycarnum infusion?

30. - Top - End - #180
    Titan in the Playground

A92 a You'd have whatever the normal maximum was.
    A92 b expending your psionic focus is a nonaction.
    Last edited by Venger; 2019-07-06 at 12:22 AM.

Iron Chef Medals!