The Order of the Stick: Utterly Dwarfed
The Order of the Stick: Utterly Dwarfed - Coming in December and available for pre-order now
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
  1. - Top - End - #31
    Orc in the Playground

Default Re: Iron Chef Optimization Challenge: E6 Appetizer Edition (Round XVII)

Unfortunately, I just didn't have the time for this one. I've always liked the concept of the Lurk, though a deep look at the class makes you wonder why WotC thought it was ready to publish.

Spoiler: Spoilered so as to not influence potential judges
    Show

My plan had been to take a Lesser Tiefling through the Illithid Heritage line of feats to get to Illithid Extraction coupled with the Dire Stun feat. Use a stun attack from the Lurk Augment on the first tentacle attack and the rest get Psionic Sneak Attack damage. If you can succeed on the grapple check with all of the tentacles, you can "extract" the following round, which should be augmentable with Mental Assault to deal even more Int damage (and recover even more power points).
    It was a very feat intensive build. Even with the 10 extra feats, there wasn't enough room to get all the Illithid feats needed and all of the grappling feats I wanted and all of the stun DC boosters/debuffers I was hoping for. Still, it made for a pretty interesting concept, even if it did come on fairly late in the build.

2. - Top - End - #32
    Bugbear in the Playground

I had considered a couple of things, including a lurk5/soulknife 1 taking hidden talent a couple of times for more PP and powers known, and a lurk 6 going all in on PP to do damage to mental stats with almost every attack, but that one sunk once I realized I'd misread the ability and it capped out on 5 damage per attack, not 8.
    Jasnah avatar by Zea Mays

3. - Top - End - #33
    Troll in the Playground

RogueGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Macabaret View Post
    Unfortunately, I just didn't have the time for this one. I've always liked the concept of the Lurk, though a deep look at the class makes you wonder why WotC thought it was ready to publish.

Spoiler: Spoilered so as to not influence potential judges
    Show

My plan had been to take a Lesser Tiefling through the Illithid Heritage line of feats to get to Illithid Extraction coupled with the Dire Stun feat. Use a stun attack from the Lurk Augment on the first tentacle attack and the rest get Psionic Sneak Attack damage. If you can succeed on the grapple check with all of the tentacles, you can "extract" the following round, which should be augmentable with Mental Assault to deal even more Int damage (and recover even more power points).
    It was a very feat intensive build. Even with the 10 extra feats, there wasn't enough room to get all the Illithid feats needed and all of the grappling feats I wanted and all of the stun DC boosters/debuffers I was hoping for. Still, it made for a pretty interesting concept, even if it did come on fairly late in the build.
    If you dip out after 3 lurk levels and do psywar 2/Psion 1 or monk 1 there are 2 or 3 psionic bonus feats to play with, and that +4 grapple psywar power and expansion. Are you commited to tiefling for some reason? Human or strongfeat halfling grants another feat.
    Last edited by daremetoidareyo; 2019-06-04 at 07:56 PM.

4. - Top - End - #34
    Bugbear in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by daremetoidareyo View Post
    I had a stun based build that was kung fu genius monk 2/ lurk 4 that I couldn't finish. It had like a DC 24 double stun attack, using ability focus, ascetic rogue, dire stun, and sapphire fist. One punch, two Fort saves. Extra stunning attack from complete warrior would give extra stunning attacks to both stunning fist and lurks stunning attack. I just couldn't jigger it together in time
    I did the same thing and got less far on my build, was planning on doing standard action coup de graces, until I learned a stunned foe isn't a legal target. Scrapped the whole thing and ignored contest.
    Quote Originally Posted by Zaq View Post
    I feel like telling the ghost of Gary Gygax to hold your beer is a good way to suddenly stop being the GM, but I have to admit that this would probably be remarkably effective. At what, I dunno, but effective.
    Quote Originally Posted by Zombulian View Post
    I am continually astounded by how new you are here in contrast to how impressive your mind is.

5. - Top - End - #35
    Troll in the Playground

RogueGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Falontani View Post
    I did the same thing and got less far on my build, was planning on doing standard action coup de graces, until I learned a stunned foe isn't a legal target. Scrapped the whole thing and ignored contest.
    need that paralyzing fist feat from drow of the underdark, then you could throw contagious paralysis on it from libris mortis...take the throw anything feat and toss them at other enemies.

problem is the 15 wis requirement on the paralysis feat. kung fu genius doesn't help with that. that and you need to stun someone twice in a round, and the existence of rapid stunning feat means to me that you need to take that feat tax too...

6. - Top - End - #36
    Firbolg in the Playground

Made it to Friday! Dunno about you, but this has been a bizarre week for me.

Whoís still committed to judging?
    In the Beginning Was the Word, and the Word Was Suck: A Guide to Truenamers

Quote Originally Posted by Doc Roc View Post
    Gentlefolk, learn from Zaq's example, and his suffering. Remember, seven out of eleven players who use truenamer lose their ability to taste ice cream.
    Come join the Iron Chef Optimization Challenge in the Playground E6 Appetizer Edition! We're currently cooking for Round 19, so come show us what you've got!

My compiled Iron Chef stuff!

7. - Top - End - #37
    Ogre in the Playground

I'll try to have my judgements by Tuesday. Work has been weird this week, but I've got some free time coming up. A few more than I expected, actually, but I should be able to cover it.
    Quote Originally Posted by Nifft View Post
    All Roads Lead to Gnome.

I for one support the Gnoman Empire.

Spoiler: Build Contests
    Show

E6 Iron Chef XVI Shared First Place: Black Wing

8. - Top - End - #38
    Nerdomancer in the Playground Moderator

DruidGuy

First, a few observations:
    Not a single build included what their Lurkís Code is in any of the fluff.
    Most of the competitors this round had difficult to understand attribute tables. Seriously, list your point buy separate from your +/-Ďs.

Spoiler: Altht Bolthide
    Show
    Originality: Thug fighter is interesting, just. The rest is expected.
    Score 3
    Power: Thug Fighter seems a mismatch. Why not Psychic Warrior, why not Psychic Rogue. Both would give more powers/PP, and PWar would give you another feat that you lose out on w/ Thug. The change to skills and more skill points overall is the only benefit, but you arenít using that for anything later on as a pre-req. gaining 4 Hps and losing a feat seems a mismatch for skills alone. Like your investment in sleight of hand/knowledge local/gather info, for example that gets no specific use in your buildÖ
    You have great to hit and damage, but a single faerie fire/glitterdust negates your entire build. As does anything being farther than 30ft away.
    Score 2.5
    Elegance: Everything appears legal.
    Score 5
    Use of SI: Youíve got hide and move silent maxing for e6, but nothing else screams Lurk in this build.
    Score 2

Spoiler: Psirus
    Show
    Originality: Chameleon fits, but was unexpected.
    Score 3.5
    Power: specific weapon (equipment) reliance = penalty. Further, a kaorti could secrete the resin from their hand, you can't. You might be able to get ahold of that specific bow, but you have nothing in your backstory to justify it, nor anything to deal w/ probably an endless tide of kaorti intent on getting it back from you. Further, nothing in that article states that a bow made from the resin would grant that x4 crit multiplier to it's ammunition.
    Epic 3rd: list Precise Shot as a Bonus feat from binding Sighting Gloves
    You have at most 1 uber attack per day, and then you are decidedly less awesome.
    Score 2
    Elegance: Azure Talent requires CON 13, which you donít have
    Psycarnum Infusion requires CON 13, which you donít have
    Improved Essentia requires CON 15, which is right out
    Score 2

Use of SI: Youíre going whole hog on 1 augment, but arenít really using the rest of the class. Your build makes more use out of, and is more dependent on your 1 level of chameleon than it is on its 5 levels of Lurk.
    Score 2.5

Spoiler: Steel Raerfen
    Show
    Originality: Amphibious Wavecrest? Excelsior!
    Soulblade is a good bonus, you Ďcanítí be disarmed, and you can whip that sucker out and put it away
    Score 4
    Power:.
    Any DR in e6 is meaningful, even 2/- from biofeedback.
    Mind Drain is a double edged sword, great vs psionic foes, useless otherwise, plus you have to burn PPís to get up to that 2nd die in SA, or use your augment.
    Speed of Thought/Skate/Up the Walls give you boosts to your movement speed so you can be where you arenít expected to be.
    Deafening Strike requires you to sacrifice 3d6 SA damage, meaning you are wasting PP to use it as otherwise you donít have 3d6 SA.
    Ghost Attack is ďokĒ, but requires a crit to function
    Score 3.5

Elegance: Your saves are off, REF/WILL are only +2 at 1st lvl
    Point it Out requires Spot 8, which you donít have
    Magic in the Blood is a good start, triple the SLAís. But, its 3/day for each, not 6/day that you have listed. And Deceptive Illumination changes it to 4/day for Dancing Lights. And Fascinating makes it 5/day
    Score 2.5
    Use of SI: Youíve got a lot going on in this build, but itís much more a jack of all trades than a focused Lurk
    Score 3

Spoiler: Stew P.Factor
    Show
    Originality: the only full lurk in the round, however Murkdweller is quite overused in build competitions.
    My actual suggestion is for a stronger character to carry you in a bucket full of water.
    Ė Hilarity.
    Score 4
    Power: a 15ft cone of blindness at level 1 isnít to shabby.
    Arterial Strike isnít horrible, but also isnít great. The point of combat is to end it asap, not draw it out, and a 1 hp bleed/rd doesnít seem worth it at the cost of a d6 in sneak, especially at 6th level when it comes online.
    Maiming Strike is great on a full level 20 build, decidedly less so in e6 where you can only do 1pt of CHA damage at the expense of 2d6 actual damage, hardly worth it.
    I donít agree that your squirt attack can apply sneak attack damage. Especially not when used in the cone configuration, area attacks canít apply sneak attack. The absence of a rule doesnít mean you get to determine for yourself how that ďruleĒ works. Complete Arcane has rules for weaponlike spells (which could be an argument for you, but also isnít one), which states that a spell requiring an attack roll can be used w/ sneak attack, but your spittle does no damage. Which of course means you canít CHA drain someone, although thatís a great idea!
    Score 3
    Elegance: Your point buy appears to be 34. (S10, D14, C14, I18, W12, C8), further, you donít list where your point at 4th goes into..
    Everything else appears legal mechanically, if not together as youíve stated.
    Score 4
    Use of SI: Youíve really tacked on the chasis that is Lurk onto your squirt attack quite well. Pity it doesnít work as intended.
    Score 4

Spoiler: Xin
    Show
    Originality: Factotum, quite unexpected
    Score 4
    Power: if you arenít using your psionic focus, psionic weapon is a good use for it. However, Psionic Sneak requires you to be focused, so you canít use both of these in the same attack.
    You have no way to defend against a flying or ranged opponent
    You donít have any essentia until epic 10th, and then you donít state what you want that for.
    Score 3.5
    Elegance: Everything appears legal
    Score 5
    Use of SI: While factotumís Cunning Insight is well used in this build, I think this is by far a factotum build than it is a Lurk Build. In point of fact, you spend 3 feats on Font of Inspiration. While that does use INT like a Lurk does, and youíre getting that bonus to 8 things/day, itís not a function of the Lurk itself. This build seems like you couldíve really used anything else for the 4 levels of Lurk you have and still come to much the same thing.
    Score 1

Spoiler: Zurgi
    Show
    Originality: I do love starcraft references, and ashrati is quite unexpected.
    Score 4.5
    Power: Scorpionís Sense combined w/ Sandswim is insane, especially if you actually manage to hit w/ deep impact and greater psionic weapon.
    Youíre nigh unhittable as long as you stay below the surface of the dunes, which you can do indefinitely, or near enough. However that also means you canít hit anything that isnít walking on the ground w/o risk.
    Likewise, why not take Psychic Warrior instead of straight fighter?
    Score 4
    Elegance: Skill Points are off at levels 2 and 3, you should have 2+INT, you have 2 (formatting error, not marked as cc). Everything else appears legal.
    Score 4.75
    Use of SI: You do a fair job of using augments and powers, but this is much more about optimizing the racial choice, not the class choice.
    Score 2.5
    Last edited by jdizzlean; 2019-06-24 at 01:33 PM.
    Spoiler: Medals
    Show

More sources, more choices, more power. Welcome to D&D.
    The Mod Life Crisis If you need me to address a thread as a Moderator, please include a link

9. - Top - End - #39

Thanks for your judgment, jdizz!

Gentlefolk, learn from Zaq's example, and his suffering. Remember, seven out of eleven players who use truenamer lose their ability to taste ice cream.
    Come join the Iron Chef Optimization Challenge in the Playground E6 Appetizer Edition! We're currently cooking for Round 19, so come show us what you've got!

10. - Top - End - #40
    Troll in the Playground

RogueGuy

No disputes

11. - Top - End - #41

Quick-hit dispute!

Quote Originally Posted by Zurgi, WHO DID NOT INCLUDE THEIR NAME IN THEIR DISPUTE PM TITLE AND MUST BE SHAMED
    2 minor disputes:
    Quote Originally Posted by jdizzlean View Post
    Likewise, why not take Psychic Warrior instead of straight fighter?
    Because WotC, in their infinite Wisdom, elected to make the PsyWar not a full BAB class.

Quote Originally Posted by jdizzlean View Post
    Skill Points are off at levels 2 and 3, you should have 2+INT, you have 2. Everything else appears legal.
    Those are cross-class skill ranks. Sorry if the formatting made it unclear.

12. - Top - End - #42

DruidGuy

in e6, unless you're going full BAB progression, BAB doesn't count for as much. If you would've taken psy war for 2 levels, you'd have the same or better bonus feats, more pp overall, a broader range of powers to use to augment the lurk, and only lose out on 1 BAB. You aren't getting an iterative attack anyways by using lurk. the benefits of psy war far outweigh the negative of losing +1 BAB. (and, i may recall something you had required BAB 5 as a pre-req, but i'm a little fuzzy w/o looking it all back up again, still I think psy war was probably a better option)

that makes sense now looking back on that, i missed that :/ I'll cut the penalty in half and leave the remainder as a formatting penalty.
    Last edited by jdizzlean; 2019-06-11 at 05:10 PM.

13. - Top - End - #43

Luccan, any progress?

14. - Top - End - #44
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Zaq View Post
    Luccan, any progress?
    Ah! My bad, mostly been busy with work the past while. I should have time tomorrow evening to finish my judgements and post. Sorry for the delay
    All Roads Lead to Gnome.

I for one support the Gnoman Empire.

Spoiler: Build Contests
    Show

E6 Iron Chef XVI Shared First Place: Black Wing

15. - Top - End - #45

Another response!

Quote Originally Posted by Xin
    Thanks for the judging jdizzlean but i think you have done some errors and there is one consideration about the use of secret ingredient
    Quote Originally Posted by Jdizzlean
    If you arenít using your psionic focus, psionic weapon is a good use for it. However, Psionic Sneak requires you to be focused, so you canít use both of these in the same attack
    This is false because to use psionic weapon i will use the psionic focus contained in the psicrystal (thanks to psicrystal containment) starting from the 1st epic feat , regaining thanks to psionic meditation the next round if i want to use it again (to land a sneak attack is more difficult ok but we can flank an enemy or using sapphire nightmare blade even if it's only a strike)
    Quote Originally Posted by Jdizzlean
    You donít have any essentia until epic 10th, and then you donít state what you want that for.
    It's true that i don't have essentia points until the last feat , i use the soulmeld as a boost to abilities , but i list where i put the essentia points in the last two line of my build breakdown
    Quote Originally Posted by Xin build breakdown level 6 and epic feats
    The shape soulmeld feats improve our abilities so this character will have good abilities thanks to them, in combat he will use the essentia point on kruthik and on vitality belt, while out of combat on kruthik and on theft gloves (kruthik occupy shoulder slot as soulmeld)
    In the elegance i have done some error writing my build and i have not listed able learner in the source

About the use of secret ingredient to do a True thief lurk i needed a class who give us search and disable device, and i had to use able learner to take them as class. There were various class but the factotum helped the attack , and the low saves , it's not exact that i could have used 4 level of any class to do this build but that the first level in factotum help various build . The first level is important but it doesn't sign this build , it only helps us at landing better hit and in the defense , or using some abilities but if replaced by a rogue level for example the build is still legal and function without many problems except that font of inspiration have to be replaced by other feats)
    This is clearly my thoughts I'm not expert as judge so if you think that this build is a factotum build i will accept it (for me will be strange having only a level but you are the judge)

Looks like jdizz will be our only judge this time. Hoping to get the new contest underway within the next few days.

Iíll be out of the country on vacation for the second half of July, so Iím trying to time things so that the next roundís reveal will be shortly before I leave and the judging will take place while Iím busy. Weíll make something work!

16. - Top - End - #46
    Barbarian in the Playground

EvilClericGuy

Have a good trip, Zaq.

17. - Top - End - #47

DruidGuy

apologies, i saw this soon after posting, but only had the phone, and then forgot about it, even after Zaq plinked me w/ a pm :(

fair enough on using the psicrystal to regain your focus, but it's a wonky component to have to keep up with.

lacking the essentia for so long is still an issue to me, I'd rather you spent the 10th feat on something else at that point as you'd be quite significantly into an e6 game by epic 10th.

Power +.5

thanks for the honesty on able learner, but since i didn't ding you in the first place, and its not an obscure thing, no change.

on factotum, i'll stand firm on my thoughts that your build spends an inordinate feat expenditure on a class that isn't the SI. no change.

i'll update the original score to reflect
    Spoiler: Medals
    Show

More sources, more choices, more power. Welcome to D&D.
    The Mod Life Crisis If you need me to address a thread as a Moderator, please include a link

18. - Top - End - #48

I was willing to join the judging, but stuff happened and I got on a sick leave for 2 weaks with freaking feavers, not able to do much of anything. So take this post as an apology, no judging for me - the high level first run wasn't too far from jdizzlean's scores anyway, so there wouldn't be much of a difference anyways.
    Again, sorry folks, my crappy health and laziness took advantage once again...

PS: Zaq, enjoy you vacation!
    Fantabulous Duskblade avatar by linklele, for which I am eternally grateful.
    Previous avatars composed by Nathan, Ivius and Threeshades, for what I am eternally grateful, as well.

Quote Originally Posted by Buufreak View Post
    Cookie cutter racial cheese aside, we should probably keep an eye on the whole "Dwarf only" bit of the OP. But hey, that's just me. Everyone feel free to throw out more op tricks that are 100% topic irrelevant. :P

19. - Top - End - #49

Basically nothing has actually gone wrong with this move. Itís all gone just as planned, which is awesome.

Itís also exhausting beyond words and still sucks even in what seems to be damn near close to ideal circumstances. Like, seriously.

Anyway I found my laptop but not my charger (yet), so typing is hard. Who wants to make a table for me so we can move to the next round?

20. - Top - End - #50
    Pixie in the Playground

Beholder

Here is the table

Build Chef Score Rank
    Zurgi ??? 15.75 1st, Gold
    Xin ??? 13.5 2nd, Silver
    Stew P. Factor ??? 13 3rd,Bronze
    Steel Raerfen ??? 13 3rd,Bronze
    Altht Bolthide ??? 12.5 5th
    Psirus ??? 10 6th

I hope the colors are right I had to see old competitions to see the colors so i don't know if i have chosen the right colors

Good work to all partecipants

21. - Top - End - #51

EvilClericGuy

Good luck with finishing the move, Zaq.

Thanks to our hosts and judge!

22. - Top - End - #52

Thanks Quentinas! I will probably be able to post the reveal and the new contest in a few hours.

Timing for the new one: Iíll be leaving the country for the second half of July, so I canít do any extensions. Weíll cook until I leave and judge while Iím gone. To make sure that thereís enough entries, Iím going to post an SRD ingredient, since those always get lots of interest. That means weíll have probably quite a few entries. If anyone feels like committing to judge right now, that might end up being really helpful. If not, weíll find a solution like we always do!

23. - Top - End - #53

Gah I'm so bad at budgeting time/energy right now. Sorry sorry sorry. Let's get moving!

Build Chef Score Rank
    Zurgi MinimanMidget 15.75 1st, Gold
    Xin Quentinas 13.5 2nd, Silver
    Stew P. Factor daremetoidareyo 13 3rd,Bronze
    Steel Raerfen thorr-kan 13 3rd,Bronze
    Altht Bolthide Quentinas 12.5 5th
    Psirus WhamBamSam 10 6th

Great showing this time around! Congrats to all our medalists, and thanks as always to jdizzlean for judging! I'll have the new round up as quick as I can. Thanks for being patient with me, everyone!