New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 6 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #151
    Bugbear in the Playground

Default Re: Funeral of a Friend (Pathfinder 1.0 IC)

Hector raises his head as Brac shouts a warning, noting the insectile threat above. He lets out a hiss and makes a motion towards his crossbow, before instinct takes over and he feels the familiar words of power spill over his lips. He raises his right hand towards the sky as the magic courses through him, and two shimmering projectiles fly out to strike the mantis above.

Spoiler: OOC
    Show
    Hector casts Magic Missile at the mantis who is preparing to strike.

Damage: (2d4+2)[7]

2. - Top - End - #152
    Ogre in the Playground

"Here it comes!" Tesselin says, reaching quickly for his bow and glancing around at the others. His gaze settles on Erica, who looks like she can do a lot of damage to that creature with that hammer of hers. "Strike the thorax, if you can - maybe that'll put its arms or wings out of commission!"

Spoiler: Erica/Actions
    Show
    Move action to use Combat Advice on Erica. +2 to Erica's next attack roll on the mantis.
    Also drawing shortbow, if I can?

Also because I'll forget if I don't do it now, I would like to spend 2 uses of inspiration to buff my initiative, please! I get an additional +1d6 to my initiative roll!
    S C R E A M I N G is always a free action.

If you don't have a group that supports you - if you instead have a group that judges you - find a different group, trust me. It's not worth your life to waste it on a bunch of hyenas who serve no value to you aside from keeping you down. Everyone deserves to have a say at the table regardless of how they do it.

-Guy, "How to be a Great Game Master"

3. - Top - End - #153
    Ogre in the Playground

Erica saw what was there to be seen, and had the one up on the creature. It could fly -- but few things were that coordinated when the world was falling out from under it. No doubt, it was out of even her prodigious reach.

But the tree it was on wasn't, and with a mighty swing, she smashed at the most convenient spot to break the branch out from under the thing. Sudden encounters with gravity were never fun for something that big, even if it could flap. Maybe it would end up on its ass for a moment and give them a real chance to Render Some Justice.

(1d20+7)[20] to strike an appropriate spot on the tree with Power Attack.
    (1d12+9)[16] damage to Break Stuff

4. - Top - End - #154

Tracking creatures through woods, snow, ice and the like always took a good amount of focus, but in regards to her work, she was always prepared to abandon it if the winds went against her.

Though in a more literal sense, she's particularly prepared to abandon said work if a giant bug that eats creatures her size shows up hungry.

With lightning speed she pulls free her bow and fires a shot!

Spoiler: ooc
    Show

Move Action to pull out her bow.

Standard to fire a shot with deadly aim!

Lenna Attack: (1d20+5)[21]
    Lenna Damage: (1d8+4)[8]

5. - Top - End - #155
    Troll in the Playground

When Brac sees the creature, he quickly warns the rest about the mantis. "You werent joking about the size. Well, at least it doesnt look very Smart. I am sure we can handle it." Brac decides to cast a spell on himself to engage the creature as son as it was close.

Show
    Casting Bless on myself.
    Thanks to linklele for the amazing avvy.
    Quote Originally Posted by jidasfire View Post
    On a long enough scale, every OOTS forum discussion turns into a debate about alignment, Miko, or Familicide.
    or Star Wars.
    Spoiler: Easydamus result
    Show

Neutral Good Human Paladin/Cleric (3rd/2nd Level)
    Ability Scores:
    Strength-15 Dexterity-13 Constitution-14
    Intelligence-16 Wisdom-17 Charisma-14
    Alignment: Neutral Good

6. - Top - End - #156
    Ogre in the Playground

Hector's missiles strike true, as always, as does Lenna's bow shot. However, it is Erica's blow that knocks the insect down from the tree, and as it is falling her hammer rains down again and smashes the creature to broken chitin and goop. The goop sprays across everyone in a warm green splash, covering everyone in gore. This wouldn't be a problem if it wasn't for the other mantis, which perks up it's head at the smell of fresh meat, tossing aside the headless hobgoblin for fresher prey.

Show
    So with an attack of opportunity and a little help from fall damage Erica turned the bug to paste. Initiative has been rolled for battle with the second mantis, which is 40 ft away from the melee oriented party members.

INITIATIVE-
    Erica-22
    ------------
    Mantis-21
    ------------
    Tesselin-17 (with the d6 included)
    Lenna-16
    Hector- 6
    Brac- 4

Just like last time, Erica goes, then mantis, then the everyone (including Erica) can take their second action in posting order, then mantis, then everyone, etc. I hope no one minds this method, just seems to keep things going fast.
    The Bear is Back.

7. - Top - End - #157
    Ogre in the Playground

Gore splashed in a whirlwind of violence even as Erica Westmarch cried out, spurring her mount forward to meet the next attacker. The roan galloped toward the enemy under her guidance, stopping at the edge of its rider's hammer range. The Sarenite grit her teeth as she swung the mighty hammer around and followed through, hard --

Ride (1d20+5)[22] DC 5 to guide with knees.

(1d20+7)[26] to hit with Power Attack
    (1d20+9)[10] dmg

8. - Top - End - #158
    Ogre in the Playground

Erica's strike hits true,, smacking the mantis in the side and breaking more chitin. The creature responds anemically, raking with its claws at the source of its pain but failing to do more than scratch at her magic armor.

Show
    Finish it off, team.
    The Bear is Back.

9. - Top - End - #159

Lenna pulls another arrow and turns to take a quick shot at the other mantis while calling for Maple to break it down! The great beast lumbers forwards and moves to just tackle the mantis with her antlers as an arrow flies towards the same target!

Show
    Move action to order Maple to charge!

Maple runs up to gore the mantis with a charge attack
    Maple Attack (1d20+6)[8]
    Maple Damage (1d6+2)[6]

Standard to shoot an arrow with deadly aim and coordinated shot.
    Lenna Attack: (1d20+6)[25]
    Lenna Damage: (1d8+4)[11]

10. - Top - End - #160
    Ogre in the Playground

Tesselin lets loose an arrow of his own, hoping it strikes true.

Spoiler: Rolls
    Show
    Attack - (1d20+6)[7]
    Damage - (1d6+1)[6]

If you don't have a group that supports you - if you instead have a group that judges you - find a different group, trust me. It's not worth your life to waste it on a bunch of hyenas who serve no value to you aside from keeping you down. Everyone deserves to have a say at the table regardless of how they do it.

11. - Top - End - #161

Hector maneuvers his horse closer to the grounded beast, and pulls his gigantic spear from his back in the same motion. He moves to put the beast between Erica and himself, and tries to ram the spearhead into its disturbingly oversized eyes.

Show

Move action to guide the horse, drawing the longspear as part of the move. Ride DC 5 should be autopass with his +6, so not rolling that.

Hector tries to flank with Erica if it is at all possible, and then makes an attack with the longspear.

Attack roll: (1d20+7)[23] (subtract 2 if it was not possible to flank)
    Damage if hit: (1d8+4)[7]

12. - Top - End - #162
    Ogre in the Playground

Steel and magic did their work, and the mantis's counterattack was deflected. The Sarenite's hammer continued with its momentum even as she nudged the horse forward with her knees to bring its hooves and teeth to bear in a combined flurry of violence --

Erica: (1d20+5)[15] to ride vs DC10 to make the horse attack
    Last edited by Lokio; 2019-06-13 at 01:31 PM.

13. - Top - End - #163
    Ogre in the Playground

OOC: Apologies - remainder of dice rolls:

Two should be added to each of these to hit rolls due to flanking, btw...

Erica: (1d20+7)[17] to hit power attack
    (1d12+9)[16] dmg

Heavy Warhorse takes a five foot step and unloads:

Bite to hit: (1d20+5)[13] to hit
    Bite dmg: (1d4+5)[9] dmg

Hoof 1 to hit: (1d20+5)[18] to hit
    (1d6+5)[7] dmg

Hoof 2 to hit: (1d20+5)[6] to hit
    (1d6+5)[11] dmg
    Last edited by Lokio; 2019-06-13 at 01:32 PM.

14. - Top - End - #164
    Troll in the Playground

Brac´s heart accelerated in excitement. It was finally chance to fight and as this was his first encounter. He planned to fight with all he got. "Time to take it down." Brac declares as he attacks the creature with his longsword. He could feel the power in his spell flowing through his body and increasing his skill in combat.

Show

Attack: (1d20+6)[25]
    Damage: (1d8+3)[7]
    On a long enough scale, every OOTS forum discussion turns into a debate about alignment, Miko, or Familicide.
    or Star Wars.
    Show

Ability Scores:

15. - Top - End - #165
    Ogre in the Playground

In a rain of hammer, blades, and arrows, the mantis collapses and is hacked to pieces. Covered in ichor, the party is victorious over the insects, and can now proceed to track down the goblin raiders.

The rest of the day is uneventful. Lenna follows the obvious tracks of the attacking force, leading deeper and deeper into the Wylds. Still, there is some signs of civilization, even this far out. However, in their retreat the goblins were not merciful to these outlying communities. As the sun is falling at the end of the first day, a small village appears on the horizon, appearing damaged and burnt from a distance. Smoke rises from still smoldering fires, and there are more and more signs of violence as the group moves forward. The village is nestled in a small clearing near a stream where the trees are more spaced out, but it is possible to see crosses that have been erected, with people hanging from them. There isn't any sign of the enemy, but caution could not hurt.
    The Bear is Back.

16. - Top - End - #166
    Ogre in the Playground

Wiping away the ichor from her enchanted armour with a cloth as they traveled on, Erica Westmarch was all too happy to remove her helmet and chat idly on their way. Pieces of information that would have flowed freely? She was in her twenty-sixth year, having served Sarenrae as one of her faithful church knights for four years. She had learned from Eloric Halfhand in her first year, going on little adventures with him here and there. The fellow had always been a bit of a flirt, she had said fondly, but never in a way that would have crossed any lines. That was old Eloric for you: making the new girl from the big cities on the coast feel welcome. Now that there wasn't immediate danger, Erica was much more chatty and relaxed, the formality of the funeral and the immediate danger that followed gone and allowing her to just be.

As they approached the village, however, Westmarch's manner became much more stern. The crosses; the burning; these monsters had the Sun coming for them into the dark places where they hid. They could surrender and seek redemption, but would they? Evil such as this rarely did, and so she would serve up some of the Everlight's displeasure on a hammer-sized plate.

"Eyes up, my friends. This may be an ambush."

And hers did, in fact, rise even as she replaced her plumed helmet -- her head on a swivel, capably scanning for Evil in all of its forms. Where it was, she would be, astride her armored horse, a beacon of light ready for what may come.

Spoiler
    Show
    (1d20+3)[9] Perception. Also, Detect Evil, please!

17. - Top - End - #167
    Ogre in the Playground

Tesselin listened happily to Erica's stories as they walked. He offered a little information of his own as they traveled, the group taking the time to get to know one another. Tesselin reveals himself to be nearing ninety - though that's still quite young for a Sylph. He doesn't brag on himself, just mentioning he's picked up 'a little of this and that' over the years, but his fondest memories are his most recent ones, with Eloric. He doesn't go into great detail, more apt to just chime in with a 'oh, really?' or 'that sounds like him' in regards to the tales the others have to tell.

But then the mood changes when the town comes into sight. Tesselin's sharp eyes are already on the prowl, his mind racing in every direction as he tries to gather information from the crime scene.

Spoiler: Some questions for GM and rolls to hopefully get answers
    Show
    First, this: Perception - (1d20+10)[13] plus (1d6)[1]

What town is this? How newly established was it? What sort of people lived here? Local - (1d20+9)[29] plus (1d6)[3]

Is this the typical 'ruins' left by goblin attacks? Is it more of the stuff typically directed by the hobgoblins? Basically, is this common at all, especially the crucifixion? Nature - (1d20+10)[24] plus (1d6)[5] and History - (1d20+9)[17] plus (1d6)[5]

Is it possible to tell how long ago the attack was by looking at the ruins of the buildings and guessing how long they've been burning? Engineering - (1d20+9)[16] plus (1d6)[1]

Are the people on the crosses still alive? I imagine my Perception will factor into if I can make this check, as I do not intend for Tesselin to race ahead of the others if there is danger, but can I tell from where I am? Heal - (1d20+5)[20]

And, finally, is it possible to get any potential survivors down off the crosses without hurting them? I'm just guessing at the roll for this one, let me know if I need to roll something different here. Engineering - (1d20+9)[29] plus (1d6)[5] or Craft Woodworking - (1d20+9)[17] or Disable Device - (1d20+10)[14] and possibly Heal - (1d20+5)[12]

whew that was a lot hopefully I covered everything
    Also, in case anyone is confused, I can use inspiration for free on any trained knowledge skill, so that's where all the extra d6's are coming from. Except for that one on perception, I did spend a point for that. yay i'm actually remembering to use my inspiration this time!

18. - Top - End - #168

Hector clearly feels elated after the decisive victory against the giant insects. Despite the circumstances, he feels the spirit of adventure overcome him, and he happily joins in the conversation as the party travels on. He is open about his draconic heritage, and talks fondly of how Eloric helped open his eyes towards his own potential. He shares stories of himself and Eloric patrolling the areas near Rainmere, often joined by Tesselin. It quickly becomes clear that Hector has to some extent inherited Eloric's tendency to add a little extra colour and flourish to some of the stories (upon hearing one particular story again, Tesselin is fairly convinced that the fifteen orcs Hector describes the three of them defeating single-handedly were actually eight rather disorganized goblins, for example), though there is always a kernel of truth.

As with the others, his mood drops dramatically at the brutal sight before them. "No no no...surely even they would not...curse them!" His eyes scan the area, much more concerned with whether the people on the crosses are still alive than about any potential ambush. For the second time in a short while, he feels the raging fury inside of him that seems almost too momentous for his body to contain.

Show
    Perception: (1d20+5)[9]

Heal (to determine whether people are alive and how tricky it might be to get them safely down if so): (1d20+3)[17]

19. - Top - End - #169
    Troll in the Playground

Brac loved to hear about the tales the rest brought up about Eloric. He asked frequently in middle of the stories wanting to hear everything in about as much detail as posible. He shared how much he looked up to him as a father and role model. He explained how he helped his mother out and how he took care of him since he was born. He also shared about his desire to follow in Eloric´s footsteps one day and fill in the role of caretaker of Rainmere. Compared to the rest, Brac Blackmoon didnt have much experience on the field but he reassured the rest by telling them he would keep giving his all.

His face turned to horror when he saw the village in ruins. He couldnt believe there were beings out there capable of suh horrors. Brac needed a moment to recover himself and calm down. "Who could do something this awful?" Brac replied trying to contain his anger.

When Erica suggests the possibility of an ambush, Brac decides to put to his skills to good use."I´ll bark if I sense anything unusual." He then transformed into his full wolf form. He knew that his enhanced senses might be necessary to prevent being caught off guard easily.

Show

Assuming wolf form. I should gain scent.

I Will aslo roll perception: (1d20+9)[27]
    or Star Wars.
    Show

Ability Scores:

20. - Top - End - #170
    Ogre in the Playground

Show
    I'll be answering all the roles and questions OOC just to make things easy to understand.
    Erika- There is a lingering aura of evil residing like dust on the ground and floating above it, like a mist. You have seen something like this before in an area that has had a large number of evil creatures pass through, but it is much stronger this time. There is also a flow to it- low grade evil is pumping into the area from the shrine in front of the crosses.

Hannah- This is Jostenshire, a recent settlement and one of the furthest west in the entire colonies. Jerril Josten left to great acclaim fifteen years ago and set up an outpost, which saw frequent trade with adventurers heading into the Wylds. There were also sizable farm plots here which fed Rainmere. There were around forty people who trickled in from town to join the trading, farming, and tree cutting going on at Jostenshire.

This is not typical at all of goblin attacks, but fits more with the methods of the hobgoblins. The buildings have been sacked but not burned- it even looks like some of the smaller fires were put out on purpose. Most of the populace were probably killed or taken slaves. The crosses, however, are something completely alien to goblinoids. Crucifixion is generally a religious punishment.

Judging by the damage and the fires, you would estimate it has been half a day since this attack happened.

There are two moaning individuals on the crosses next to the shrine. Both could be saved with magical healing if it is applied soon after they are removed from the crosses.

Hector- Same information as Tesselin's heal check.

Brac- You smell the stench of goblins everywhere, but your scent is partially stunted by the think incense coming from the shrine. You can smell the dripping blood from the crucified people, along with other gorey and foul scents. According to your sharp senses there are only the two survivors, and no enemies within the village.

The town is in ruins, and it becomes more obvious the closer you all come. Over a dozen small buildings have been burned, broken, and looted. There are a half dozen corpses strewn across the ground, and four more on crosses, hanging low and slumped, obviously dead. There are however, two survivors, both of which have no stench of evil about them.

An older man, cut countless times across his body, hangs on a cross, moaning and bleeding. Tesselin's long memory recognizes Josten, the village's founder and local celebrity. He hangs onto life with white knuckles, eyes closed, barely conscious.

Two crosses down from him a tall, lumpy looking goblin hangs on a cross. He shouts out in common as you all come closer. "Hello? Hello! Up here, yes! Please, cut us down so we may heal, please! The human won't last much longer, and I am VERY uncomfortable. Help please!" He is nearly as tall as a man, with a paunch that droops down over his loose pants.

But is the shrine that draws attention, due to the glowing rune on the ground and the smoke billowing from it. The rune glowers red like a forge, and black waves of evil smoke pour off of it over the ground for several feet. The sigil is exactly six feet long and six feet wide. Under the crosses, on the far side of the rune, there is a small stone altar with several skulls on it, all stained with rusty red blood. There are five small rubies on the altar, which are holding down a sheet of paper, along with an even smaller black diamond, no bigger than a thumbnail.
    The Bear is Back.

21. - Top - End - #171
    Troll in the Playground

Brac barks a couple of times and tries to guide the team to where he can smell the survivors. There was no time to waste especially to change between forms. He could only hope the rest would understan and follow him.
    or Star Wars.
    Show

Ability Scores:

22. - Top - End - #172

Lenna follows the wolf along with her moose, keeping a good eye out before approaching the human to cut him down and give him a quick tap of her odd wand. After healing him for a moment, she removes a knife from her pack and goes to cut him down, shaken by the terrible look of the village.

"We will have to pause our tracking to find others, eh? No telling who else is still living here."

She eyes the altar with concern as she continues her work to remove the restraints on the man.

"And we're gonna need to figure out what that whole business is about."

Show

Spending a charge of my wand for Josten! (1d8+1)[9] healing.

23. - Top - End - #173
    Ogre in the Playground

"Josten!" Tesselin speaks urgently, running over to the human to assist Lenna in getting him down. Once the man is off the cross and at least slightly healed, Tesselin gets out his waterskin, offering the man something to drink by bringing the water to his lips and supporting his head gently. He looks at the goblinoid figure with a bit more suspicion, leaving it to the others to decide whether or not to get him down as he keeps his attention on his old acquaintance.

24. - Top - End - #174

Seeing that the others have Josten well in hand, Hector makes his way towards the crucified goblin and starts working to get him down as well. Noting the questioning glance from some of the others, he merely shrugs his shoulders as he works. “No one should be tortured like that. I’ll keep a good eye on him, though, make sure he does not attempt anything stupid.” As he adds the last part in a more threatening tone, he looks straight at the goblin with his inscrutable snake-like eyes.

When his work is nearly done, he calls out towards Lenna and Erica, who have both exhibited healing abilities earlier. “Could you help me make sure he...well, does not bleed out when I remove the last of these? Healing is not really my area.”

25. - Top - End - #175
    Ogre in the Playground

The sight of the village was a grim one, and Erica Westmarch dismounted once they began pulling down bodies off crosses, her jaw set firmly with quiet fury. Her hand came up to heal the man and the goblin once each, with her whispering to the Everlight a solemn prayer for recovery as holy gold light flowed through her into them. With that, she moved to the evil shrine, her internal compass screaming at her to destroy this.

"Stay back," she said to the rest, holding up a hand as she sought to identify what she was looking at... before she smote the hell out of this shrine and the wickedness it stood for. Stepping forward, she looked at the paper...

(1d20+4)[21] Know Religion

Go ahead and heal each NPC once with Lay on Hands 3d6.

Also, can she destroy this shrine's evil magicks by smiting evil on it?

26. - Top - End - #176
    Ogre in the Playground

The goblin thanks Hector profusely while he is being cut down. By the time he is on the ground, he has also nearly physically recovered, with the wounds in his hands and feet healing up even as they spoke. "Many thanks, dragon man! I would have suffered on that stick for months without you! I will sell you luck at an alltime low price if you are in the market. It's good luck, sir, you have my promise!" The goblin tries to shake Hector's hand feverishly when he is finally cut down and freed, walking tenderly on his once maimed feet.

Josten is also cut down and healed fully in a matter of seconds. His body, though covered in dried blood and barely closed wounds, is whole again between the healing effects of Lenna and Erica. He coughs and drinks water eagerly when Tesselin provides it. "The attack... no one made it... why did I survive?"

Erica's attention turns to the glowing sigil on the ground and the evil energy pouring from it. It is a generic symbol of both law and evil, meant to exude an aura of tyranny into the world. One or two good smites would probably destroy its magic permanently. The letter provides more insight. It is written in poor quality common, but is readable.

Spoiler: Letter
    Show
    Scum from Rainmere,

We know you follow us. We have gods to give us insight too. Take rubies. Take bribe, and turn back. Five rubies for five pursuers, and a black gem for the mystery sixth. If you proceed, one more will join you. You will need them to succeed, but they will die for your ambition. If you do not give in, choose wisely who you would sacrifice and give them this gem.

In Worzall's evil name, we do what we must.
    Signed, Hokum Eggsnatcher, Lord Marshall of Fort Dire Wings
    The Bear is Back.

27. - Top - End - #177
    Ogre in the Playground

Tesselin shakes his head in response to Josten's questions. He doesn't know the answers - he knows enough to know that much, at least. "Tell us what happened," he requests instead.

28. - Top - End - #178
    Troll in the Playground

Brac can only at the scene with disgust. He decides to be attentive about the rescued indviduals they could hold valuable information. Since he didnt wasnt sure if he could trust the recently found survivors, he decided to stay in his wolf form for the moment. Brac also wondered if on some level, the enemy wanted to be found and if that was the case, what the reason could be. Maybe they were preparing something for the group?
    or Star Wars.
    Show

Ability Scores:

29. - Top - End - #179
    Ogre in the Playground

Gems. The kinds of focuses someone could use to see them? Glancing at the others, she took the note off the shrine, placing it indelicately on the ground nearby with the gems holding it in place. Hefting her hammer, the Sarenite shouted her righteous fury, and as she brought the polearm down with a mighty blow onto the shrine, a blue-gold light burst forth as blows landed once, twice, three times until it was no more.

Putting up her weapon once the deed was done, she said, "The note. They seek to bribe us, and to lead us to believe that a sixth will join us - and be doomed for it. These items could well just be focuses for a spellcaster to observe us, could they not?"

Smite Evil deployed against the Shrine.

30. - Top - End - #180

Somewhat reluctantly, Hector returns the goblin's handshake, though he also seizes the opportunity to gain a firm hold of the goblin's wrist with his other hand.

"I don't want to buy your luck," he begins, inwardly shuddering to think about the kind of filth that might pass for a good luck charm among these creatures, "but I would like some information. Why did they put you up there? Didn't you travel with them? Why would they do this to one of their own? I only want to hear the truth, mind you. You look like a smart fellow, I'm sure you know what dragons do to those who try to trick them!" His eyes take on a fiery glow as he speaks the final words.

Show
    Rolling Intimidate, if relevant (could also be another social skill, his bonus is exactly the same in all of them): (1d20+7)[26]

Also Knowledge (Arcana) for Erica's question about whether the gems could be scrying foci: (1d20+7)[11]