New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Orc in the Playground

Default Path of War multiclass question

So the Path of War book says these maneuvers are readied and performed separately. But it doesn't say anything about recovering maneuvers when multiclassing. Is it just assumed that by readying a maneuver under one class makes it impossible for another class to use their recovery method to recover that maneuver? Is there an errata that says this or is it just assumed? Or is the readied and performed part more of you can't ready a maneuver that is too high level for you. Like say you are Zealot 9 and Warlord 1. The Zealot can ready up to level 5 maneuvers and the Warlord can only ready up to level 3 maneuvers. Which makes a lot more sense. Each class only has so many ready slots. While you have many learned maneuvers each class tracks those ready slots separately. Or have I missed something? If I have can you tell me where I can find that myself? Not that I doubt you guys I just really like to see it with my own eyes so in the future I can show any of my group where it is.

2. - Top - End - #2
    Bugbear in the Playground

Default Re: Path of War multiclass question

Like a spellcaster, PoW keeps every base class separate. There is no cross-talk at all between your zealot and warlord when learning maneuvers or stances. The only apparent exception is that you can never ready a maneuver more than once under any circumstances. Class recovery mechanics interact only with that class' maneuvers.

3. - Top - End - #3
    Orc in the Playground

Where is it stated that this is the case? Is it explicitly stated somewhere or is it just assumed based on other base classes? Because it just seems wonky if that is the case. I understand for the magic users. A fireball is a fireball is a fireball. But how you actually cast it is completely different. But for initiators it seems werid. Every class uses the exact same pool of maneuvers. There is no difference between a Zealot using a maneuver and a Warlord or a fighter with maneuvers. No difference in how they use them or even ready them. Just in how they recover them.

4. - Top - End - #4

Quote Originally Posted by keeper2161 View Post
    Where is it stated that this is the case? Is it explicitly stated somewhere or is it just assumed based on other base classes? Because it just seems wonky if that is the case. I understand for the magic users. A fireball is a fireball is a fireball. But how you actually cast it is completely different. But for initiators it seems werid. Every class uses the exact same pool of maneuvers. There is no difference between a Zealot using a maneuver and a Warlord or a fighter with maneuvers. No difference in how they use them or even ready them. Just in how they recover them.
    It is clear from a rules reading. Every class refers to itself in most instances, and does not allow for most features to be used for out-of-class purposes. It is the same reason that having a sorcerer level, and therefore a spontaneous casting feature, does not allow you to spontaneously cast from your wizard slots.

There are exactly as many differences when using maneuvers as when using spells. Usually, this comes down to initiator level and primary initiator mod - equivalent to caster level and primary casting mod. A fireball is indeed always a fireball, but the same goes for maneuvers. A sorc1//oracle 7 cares about which class is casting magic missile just as a multiclass initiator cares about which is using a maneuver. There's no difference between zealot and warlord ready or use mechanics only because every class has the same rules. There is no inherent similarity there, they just happen to work all the same way for ease-of-use.

5. - Top - End - #5
    Orc in the Playground

I figured maneuvers are techniques. You know swing sword this way and that way. It's not like magic. A sorcerer forces magic to shape to his will through sheer force of will. A Wizard who spends long hours formulating arcane writing then burns it into his mind. Or a Cleric who asked his god to grant him power and is simply a conduit for divine strength. That when you recover a maneuver you are simply resetting your stance to a neutral position. That each class has their own way of doing recovering. Minor things but unique nonetheless.

6. - Top - End - #6

I figured maneuvers are techniques. You know swing sword this way and that way. It's not like magic. A sorcerer forces magic to shape to his will through sheer force of will. A Wizard who spends long hours formulating arcane writing then burns it into his mind. Or a Cleric who asked his god to grant him power and is simply a conduit for divine strength. That when you recover a maneuver you are simply resetting your stance to a neutral position. That each class has their own way of doing recovering. Minor things but unique nonetheless.
    Fluff =/= mechanics. I've said only how the system itself works mechanically. This has nothing to do with the fluff that may be surrounding them.

7. - Top - End - #7

Though exels has already answered your question about readying maneuvers, I thought I'd jump in and muddy the waters a bit with a few "kinda sorta" exceptions worth keeping in mind when it comes to related stuff:
    1. Maneuvers you've learned through advancing IL in one class can be used to qualify for maneuvers learned by advancing your IL in a different class. So for example if you've learned 2 Solar Wind maneuvers through your Warlord IL advancement, you can choose to learn a level 5 Solar Wind maneuver when you advance your Zealot IL.
    2. PrCs granting a maneuver progression let you add maneuvers to any one of your previous classes progression, chosen each time the PrC grants you a maneuver (or stance). So if you're say a Warlord 6/Zealot 2/Landsknecht 2, you can choose to add the maneuver granted by Landsknecht 2 to either your Warlord maneuvers known (IL 9, max 5th level) or your Zealot maneuvers known (IL 7, max 4th level). The same goes for maneuvers readied granted by PrC levels.

Hope that didn't simply confuse things for you.

8. - Top - End - #8
    Orc in the Playground

So when you gain a discipline from one class are they unlocked for the character or just that class?

9. - Top - End - #9

So when you gain a discipline from one class are they unlocked for the character or just that class?
    Characters don't have disciplines, their classes and feats do.

10. - Top - End - #10
    Orc in the Playground

So if I have a level 2 dip for one class and have say 4 know maneuvers for that class. And have Riven Hourglass for that class but no other class as Riven Hourglass. I can only select Riven Hourglass from the maneuvers known from that one class? I can't use the other maneuvers known from other classes to select maneuvers from Riven Hourglass?

11. - Top - End - #11

So if I have a level 2 dip for one class and have say 4 know maneuvers for that class. And have Riven Hourglass for that class but no other class as Riven Hourglass. I can only select Riven Hourglass from the maneuvers known from that one class? I can't use the other maneuvers known from other classes to select maneuvers from Riven Hourglass?
    That's correct.

However, if more than one of your classes have access to Riven Hourglass, the Riven Hourglass maneuvers known gained through levels in one of those classes can be used to qualify for Riven Hourglass maneuvers gained through levels in another one of those classes. Or in other words, you must know Riven Hourglass maneuvers in order to meet the prerequisite "[X number of] Riven Hourglass maneuvers known", but those previously learned RH maneuvers can come from any source (class, Martial Training feats, etc).

(So in my previous post, by "prerequisite" I was only referring to the number of maneuvers in a specific discipline you must known before learning higher level maneuvers.)