New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Closed Account

Default Easiest ( less difficult ) ways to achieve eternal life for a low level human?

Let's say we have our Average Joe human. He wants to live forever or, if nothing better is avaiable, even achieve undead eternity.

First question: what would be the easiest route? Eating human flesh would be enough for becoming a ghoul? Simply willing to not die in order to become a ghost?

Second question: if he becomes an undead and stay undead for centuries, then may he be resurrected normally? ( the problem with resurrection is that once the soul becomes a petitioner it forgets the previous life; so I guess that a soul who never became a petitioner has not the same time limit )

2. - Top - End - #2
    Troll in the Playground

Kobold

Default Re: Easiest ( less difficult ) ways to achieve eternal life for a low level human?

Don't know the answer to question 2, but becoming Undead is easy enough. If you want to become an undead and retain a non-evil alignment it's harder, but doable. Necropolitan comes to mind, although they are campaign specific and it requires you to get on the good side of an organization)

As for non-undead immortality? Beats me

3. - Top - End - #3
    Troll in the Playground

Default Re: Easiest ( less difficult ) ways to achieve eternal life for a low level human?

Be an elan or warforged, or killorean. Or just take wedded to history feat.
    ,,,,^..^,,,,

Quote Originally Posted by Haldir View Post
    Edit- I understand it now, Fighters are like a status symbol. If you're well off enough to own a living Fighter, you must be pretty well off!

4. - Top - End - #4
    Orc in the Playground

Planetar

You're looking for a feat called Wedded to History, from Dragon #354
    Last edited by TalonOfAnathrax; 2019-05-16 at 07:14 PM.

5. - Top - End - #5
    Closed Account

Wedded to History and similar talents aren't something your Average Joe commoner has access to. I mean "achieved immortality / undeath" by an average human.

6. - Top - End - #6
    Troll in the Playground

NecromancerGirl

Necropolitan, then. That requires ECL 3 and no real abilities on Joe's part.
    Spoiler: Collectible nice things
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Faily View Post
    Read ExLibrisMortis' post...

WHY IS THERE NO LIKE BUTTON?!
    Quote Originally Posted by Keledrath View Post
    Libris: look at your allowed sources. I don't think any of your options were from those.
    My incarnate/crusader. A self-healing crowd-control melee build (ECL 8).
    My Ruby Knight Vindicator barsader. A party-buffing melee build (ECL 14).
    Doctor Despair's and my all-natural approach to necromancy.

7. - Top - End - #7
    Troll in the Playground

Kobold

Quote Originally Posted by Vizzerdrix View Post
    Be an elan or warforged, or killorean.
    This is easy, usually. This is not so easy for a human.

8. - Top - End - #8
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by heavyfuel View Post
    This is easy, usually. This is not so easy for a human.
    That is why I also mentioned the wedded to history feat.
    ,,,,^..^,,,,

Quote Originally Posted by Haldir View Post
    Edit- I understand it now, Fighters are like a status symbol. If you're well off enough to own a living Fighter, you must be pretty well off!

9. - Top - End - #9

Have a Shadow kill you. Savage Species explicitly says the created shadow and you are the same creature. It even suggests dying to a shadow as a way to become a monster.

10. - Top - End - #10
    Troll in the Playground

I mean, becoming an elan has no requirements. They're literally all former humans, you just need to be selected by the elders or council or whatever. Then you got through some vague ritual and pop out a level 1 elan. With all your memories in tact. Of course, you can't do this yourself and I guess the average Joe probably won't interest the elan elders but it seems the simplest method
    Quote Originally Posted by Nifft View Post
    All Roads Lead to Gnome.

I for one support the Gnoman Empire.

Spoiler: Build Contests
    Show

E6 Iron Chef XVI Shared First Place: Black Wing

E6 Iron Chef XXI Shared Second Place: The Shadow's Hand

11. - Top - End - #11
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Luccan View Post
    I mean, becoming an elan has no requirements. They're literally all former humans, you just need to be selected by the elders or council or whatever. Then you got through some vague ritual and pop out a level 1 elan. With all your memories in tact. Of course, you can't do this yourself and I guess the average Joe probably won't interest the elan elders but it seems the simplest method
    "Yeah, this is Joe. He got made an Elan, because his uncle donated the chairs for Friday night bingo for the council of elders. Nepotism, am I right?"
    Quote Originally Posted by Calanon View Post
    Raven_Cry's comments often have the effects of a +5 Tome of Understanding

12. - Top - End - #12
    Barbarian in the Playground

MindFlayer

Every full moon, turn a pebble into a human via Polymorph Any Object, then cast Steal Life (see BoVD) on them.

Oh sorry, I missed the low level part.
    Last edited by Pippin; 2019-05-17 at 03:16 AM.
    Have a look at my complete list of wizard spells, last updated 07/08/2015.

13. - Top - End - #13
    Ogre in the Playground

Devil

There's a way to do it from the very beginning at level 1. Take Death devotion as your 1st level feat, empower a weapon and then cut yourself with it. Voluntarily fail the save. As a one HD creature, the the negative level kills you. Whenever the clock strikes midnight, you rise as a wight.

14. - Top - End - #14
    Firbolg in the Playground

15. - Top - End - #15
    Closed Account

Mabye I didn't explain myself.

I meant "what a commoner with an immortality wish should reasonably do?" ( beside giving up, obviously ).
    How could he learn of the mere existence of undeads and life prolonging magic, since he starts as an average - therefore pretty ignorant- commoner?

Consult the local witches / adepts / hedge wizards?
    Move in a town or city with an open public library?
    Become an initiate at the local temple?
    Join a monastery with a good library?
    All the above?

16. - Top - End - #16

Quote Originally Posted by Conradine View Post
    Mabye I didn't explain myself.

I meant "what a commoner with an immortality wish should reasonably do?" ( beside giving up, obviously ).
    How could he learn of the mere existence of undeads and life prolonging magic, since he starts as an average - therefore pretty ignorant- commoner?

Consult the local witches / adepts / hedge wizards?
    Move in a town or city with an open public library?
    Become an initiate at the local temple?
    Join a monastery with a good library?
    All the above?
    Become fodder for the next necromancer who wanders through?

17. - Top - End - #17
    Closed Account

Becoming a zombie isn't immortality in any sense and, beside that, there's no guarantee of the outcome.

18. - Top - End - #18
    Troll in the Playground

Kobold

Honestly, the best thing for him is to grab a crossbow and light armor with ou acp and go adventuring, learn new things (aka, level up) to try to find the answers he seeks.

I don't think the local library will have the answers he seeks, and even it does, it's not like he has the knowledge to understand any of it.

Joining a Wizard Guild or something like that to retrain his commoner level before adventuring is probably wise

19. - Top - End - #19

Quote Originally Posted by heavyfuel View Post
    Honestly, the best thing for him is to grab a crossbow and light armor with ou acp and go adventuring, learn new things (aka, level up) to try to find the answers he seeks.

I don't think the local library will have the answers he seeks, and even it does, it's not like he has the knowledge to understand any of it.

Joining a Wizard Guild or something like that to retrain his commoner level before adventuring is probably wise
    Or he could optimize that commoner level to make his later spellcaster levels more potent.

Tomb Tainted Soul + Quick Draw + Infested with Chickens + greater consumptive field + Fell Drain + Destructive Retribution = hen grenades: the other wight meat.
    Last edited by MaxiDuRaritry; 2019-05-17 at 09:45 AM.

20. - Top - End - #20
    Troll in the Playground

OrcBarbarianGuy

I would pal around with druids and try to become one or failing that the very best friend of one. Serial reincarnation as a young adult in various bodies is a pretty good deal.

Light the lamp not the rat LIGHT THE LAMP NOT THE RAT!!!

21. - Top - End - #21
    Ettin in the Playground

Aren't Kaorti, being Outsiders (extraplanar), everliving?
    If yes - then 300 gp for a dose of Green Rapture, and 250 gp - for Resin Suit; starting gear of 1st-level NPC is 900 gp...

22. - Top - End - #22

Retrain your 1st level or human feat for Otherworldly. You've now got the outsider type, and immortality is part and parcel of that.

Alternately, start as a neraph. They're +0 LA outsiders, too.
    Last edited by MaxiDuRaritry; 2019-05-18 at 07:17 PM.

23. - Top - End - #23
    Closed Account

In percentage, what chance would you give to an immortality seeker who dies while still clinging desperately to life, to rise as a Ghost?

24. - Top - End - #24

In percentage, what chance would you give to an immortality seeker who dies while still clinging desperately to life, to rise as a Ghost?
    How important to the plot is it? The answer means the chances are either 0% or 100%.

Also, did he have enough XP to gain a level when he died?

25. - Top - End - #25
    Bugbear in the Playground

RedKnightGirl

d6 Re: Easiest ( less difficult ) ways to achieve eternal life for a low level human?

Since you asked.

Go to a Lawful Evil church. Tell them your goal. Have them get a devil to give it to you. Promise you will not miss that soul thing.

You may not like the final outcome however.
    9 wisdom true neutral cleric you know you want me in your adventuring party

26. - Top - End - #26
    Closed Account

Yes, I know that everything depends on the plot, but, let's pretend for the sake of the argument that we are trying to picture a fantasy world which is internally consistent ( verisimilitude ) and let's set aside plot necessities for a moment.

Let's talk about "standard" d&d 3.5 world ( if such a thing exists ).

27. - Top - End - #27

Yes, I know that everything depends on the plot, but, let's pretend for the sake of the argument that we are trying to picture a fantasy world which is internally consistent ( verisimilitude ) and let's set aside plot necessities for a moment.

Let's talk about "standard" d&d 3.5 world ( if such a thing exists ).
    Commoner is upset at his lot in life.

Commoner kicks a kitten out of frustration.

Kitten turns on blender mode.

Commoner is rendered into an explosion of fine, red mist.

Kitten gains XP.

Kitten is evolving!

Kitten evolves into: adult cat!

Adult cat uses: buzzsaw-purr!

It's super effective!
    Last edited by MaxiDuRaritry; 2019-05-18 at 09:38 PM.

28. - Top - End - #28
    Ogre in the Playground

Tangentially, if Elans wanted, they could turn almost all of humanity into Elans, leaving just a small breeding population from which to produce future Elans.

It wouldn't have to be that many humans, because if they play their cards right, the death rate of Elans should be pretty low. And since Elans can't have children, they won't have to worry about their long lives causing explosive population growth. If they managed the human population correctly, they could even guarantee transformation into Elans for every single human after they finish producing however many offspring the government assigns them.

So what do you think? Utopia or dystopia?

29. - Top - End - #29

What happens to the occasional Octo-Mom?

30. - Top - End - #30
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Maat Mons View Post
    Tangentially, if Elans wanted, they could turn almost all of humanity into Elans, leaving just a small breeding population from which to produce future Elans.

It wouldn't have to be that many humans, because if they play their cards right, the death rate of Elans should be pretty low. And since Elans can't have children, they won't have to worry about their long lives causing explosive population growth. If they managed the human population correctly, they could even guarantee transformation into Elans for every single human after they finish producing however many offspring the government assigns them.

So what do you think? Utopia or dystopia?
    I have a Psionics only setting where the Elan have done just that. Since becoming an elan is class based, both societally and mechanically (pretty much only psions and psychic warriors are made elans), it's most definitely a dystopia.
    Quote Originally Posted by Nifft View Post
    All Roads Lead to Gnome.

I for one support the Gnoman Empire.

Spoiler: Build Contests
    Show

E6 Iron Chef XVI Shared First Place: Black Wing

E6 Iron Chef XXI Shared Second Place: The Shadow's Hand