The Order of the Stick: Utterly Dwarfed
The Order of the Stick: Utterly Dwarfed - Coming in December and available for pre-order now
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Halfling in the Playground

GreenSorcererElf

Default Best Dm Tricks You Use on Player

The title says it all: best puzzles, traps, and infuriating scenarios you've come up with.
    Someone once said don't judge a book by its cover—well people don't have covers so I can judge them!

2. - Top - End - #2
    Titan in the Playground

Imp

Default Re: Best Dm Tricks You Use on Player

Not really infuriating, but I had hitmen who were tasked with killing the PCs pose as street performing jesters a d jugglers, with the leader challenging PCs to a mock-duel as part of the performance. The moment the realization that it wasn't a fake fight when the leader inflicted a nasty cut on the Bard (who had accepted the challenge) with his seemingly harmless wooden sword was nice.

3. - Top - End - #3
    Orc in the Playground

PirateGuy

Bad guy with a Sling attack using a couple Elemental Gems as ammunition.

2 females next to a river, both are soaking wet and 1 appears unconscious. The conscious one begs for someone to help her friend breath again, just before she collapses. The Succubus is the one feigning unconscious and hoping for the party to go all Baywatch.

4. - Top - End - #4
    Barbarian in the Playground

Kobold

1. I trick my players into not wasting time during the session.

(Adapted from The Angry DM) The Time Pool

Start with six d6 on the table next to a dice cup or a bowl.

Every time out of combat choice is made that would take minutes, I say, "and time passes" and move one of them into a dice cup.

Every time the party is noisily discussing when threats are about, I add a die to the cup and then roll the cup. If a 1 comes up, "something bad" happens, and I remove a die from the pool.

The cup is rolled when there are six dice in it, then emptied. That marks approximately one hour in game for mechanical duration.

I've had one of my younger players say, "But guys, time MATTERS in this game!"

2. My mimics aren't intelligent, but they are observant. They have learned somehow that adventurers always kill mimics, but unsuspecting animals don't. So appearing as dead animals and eating the carrion animals (hyena, buzzard, etc) is a good living. A less bright one poses as a crying child with their arms extended after seeing the commoner's response to a real child. This mimic gets the first shot, but gets killed anyway.

But never as a door or other object they HAVE TO manipulate.

Last edited by Kurt Kurageous; 2019-05-17 at 10:08 AM.

5. - Top - End - #5
    Ogre in the Playground

I just google “Riddles for kids” or “basic puzzles” & usually give a lot of hints

6. - Top - End - #6
    Ettin in the Playground

BlueKnightGuy

I like to make enemies that require players to change their tactics. Spamming a signature spell is fine, but using the same tactic every single encounter is not.

One of my favorites I like to use are "'Zerker Kobolds". They wield two handed weapons that are too big for them. Their hit chance is abysmal, but they deal 8 damage on a hit.

The catch? They still have Pack Tactics (Advantage to hit if an ally is adjacent to the target).

So the trick is for the party to split up and separate, otherwise your Barbarian will become Kobold Stew.

With the same creatures, I also throw in "Rabid Kobolds", which have higher movement speed (40), and have advantage to be hit from Opportunity Attacks (as they're pretty reckless). However, their own Opportunity Attacks have Advantage to hit, and knock the target prone on a hit. The idea is that they're incredibly psychotic from exposure to magic, and have grown an addiction to it that has melted their minds. While the 'Zerkers split the party up, the Rabids take advantage of the gaps in the defenses and swarms the party's back line.
    Last edited by Man_Over_Game; 2019-05-17 at 10:36 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by KOLE View Post
    MOG, design a darn RPG system. Seriously, the amount of ideas I’ve gleaned from your posts has been valuable. You’re a gem of the community here.
    Quote Originally Posted by Man_Over_Game View Post

5th Edition Homebrewery

Prestige Options, changing primary attributes while maintaining balance with default options.
    Adrenaline Surge, fitting Short Rests into combat to fix bosses/Short Rest Classes.
    Pain, using Exhaustion to make tactical martial combatants.
    Fate Sorcery, lucky winner of the 5e D&D Subclass Contest VII!

7. - Top - End - #7

WolfInSheepsClothing

Trap room with ropers and rust monsters.

8. - Top - End - #8
    Barbarian in the Playground

Kobold

One of my favorites I like to use are "'Zerker Kobolds". With the same creatures, I also throw in "Rabid Kobolds"...
    You gave magic as the origin for this.

What if...there was a dragon-type who was actively breeding kobolds for these traits? I've done this twice.

A gold dragon became the benevolent dictator of kobolds and then began a selective breeding program for ASI.

A dragonborn diviner convinced a kobold tribe that she was 'the bride of Kurtulmak' and used her divining powers to find gems in the mines, gems which she collected for the ransom of Kurtulmak (but not really).

It's not that kobolds are evil as how they express their evil. When led by a 'good' and their work redirected to 'good' purposes, are they still evil?

9. - Top - End - #9
    Ettin in the Playground

BlueKnightGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Kurt Kurageous View Post
    You gave magic as the origin for this.

What if...there was a dragon-type who was actively breeding kobolds for these traits? I've done this twice.

A gold dragon became the benevolent dictator of kobolds and then began a selective breeding program for ASI.

A dragonborn diviner convinced a kobold tribe that she was 'the bride of Kurtulmak' and used her divining powers to find gems in the mines, gems which she collected for the ransom of Kurtulmak (but not really).

It's not that kobolds are evil as how they express their evil. When led by a 'good' and their work redirected to 'good' purposes, are they still evil?
    On the Good/Neutral/Evil scale, Stupid should be the 4th option. That's the only valid choice for questions like these.

There are those that make a choice, and those that make the choice for them. For the second option, I don't think they have an alignment, as it's been decided by someone more powerful than them.

I do like the idea of designed kobolds for enhanced traits. I could see a Blue Dragon messing around with that, creating a perfect army as a pet project of his, selling them to Red Dragons for more power, or a Green one for information. A Green Dragon with changeling Kobolds would be a terrifying scenario.
    Last edited by Man_Over_Game; 2019-05-17 at 11:19 AM.
    MOG, design a darn RPG system. Seriously, the amount of ideas I’ve gleaned from your posts has been valuable. You’re a gem of the community here.

5th Edition Homebrewery

Prestige Options, changing primary attributes while maintaining balance with default options.
    Adrenaline Surge, fitting Short Rests into combat to fix bosses/Short Rest Classes.

10. - Top - End - #10
    Pixie in the Playground

The classic "your commanditor was actualy evil". Ran a game where a temple asked the party to recover a stolen artifact. What they actually had in mind was to use them as cannon fodder, then have the corrupt Inquisition swoop in, recover the item and take all the credit.

11. - Top - End - #11
    Ogre in the Playground

I ran an entire campaign without a single major plot twist.
    By the end my players where so paranoid they ended up starting a war because they assassinated a well liked religious leader because they believed it was a demon in disguise.
    what is the point of living if you can't deadlift?

12. - Top - End - #12

HalfOrcPirate

I am still testing this out but the one combat that I had with it went amazingly well. The problem I had with the players is that when combat started it always became a bunch of rolling dice and no role-playing.

You know how in video games the NPCs talk. If they think they hear something they will say "What? What was that?" and if you managed to sneak again they will say "I guess it was the wind" or whatever. And then when combat starts they will yell things like "I need backup" or maybe a commander of some kind will give directions "Circle to the right" etc

My NPCs did that. On paper this was a Hard encounter, but it ended up being 2 hours of combat roleplaying. I don't want to overuse it, but it played out amazing.

The face the players made when the NPC leader setup tactics on the fly to counter-attack them was worth it. So was their oh sh!t moment when two NPCs made a shield wall by a door, while the third one run away for backup. They ended up fleeing in the end, which was also a first.

Sometimes as a DM you got to try things, and they might fail miserably, but about 50% of the time it goes really well. Another 5% of goes amazingly well.

As a side note, I avoid puzzles. It always engages the player not the PC and I don't see a reason to do it. If a PC is smarter than the player, how will the player come up with the solution? On the opposite side if the PC is dumb but the player is smart, does the PC know what the smart player knows? No matter what it pulls you out of character.

Not to mention the puzzle that no one can solve, what do you do then?

Puzzles suck.

13. - Top - End - #13
    Bugbear in the Playground

PaladinGuy

I tried to use a piece of anti-magic furniture (that could be rather easily detected and destroyed, a wall mounted beholder is not subtle) to make a BBEG fight a bit more difficult. I got met with "that's not how it works" so I eventually stopped trying tricks and eventually took a break from DM'ing.

I think the idea would have worked a lot better with some more experienced players, they were pretty strictly book learning at that point and even small deviations were either met with confusion or disdain. Wasn't great fun for me.

14. - Top - End - #14

GnomePirate

Expose them to many traps before they encounter an innocent. I did this by accident- some kobolds had booby trapped an orchard, and were you know, doing kobold stuff with apples and critters attracted to apples.

Once they made it through, they found a lovely rustic cottage with an old lady baking pies. Apple pies.

I hadn't expected them to come to the conclusion that the old lady was the BBEG, not the questgiver for kobolds. I had barely offered them a slice of delicious pie before they gunned her down with extreme prejudice. I was rolling on the floor laughing, because they had fully expected her to start slinging fireballs, or for there to be a hydra in the pie. They really didn't believe, even once she was dead and I was holding my sides, that she really was just an npc.

So if you do booby trap a mine or a food source, and then offer your players a reward giver involving the item they associate with their frustration, they'll probably kill it.

15. - Top - End - #15
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by ProsecutorGodot View Post
    I tried to use a piece of anti-magic furniture (that could be rather easily detected and destroyed, a wall mounted beholder is not subtle) to make a BBEG fight a bit more difficult. I got met with "that's not how it works" so I eventually stopped trying tricks and eventually took a break from DM'ing.

I think the idea would have worked a lot better with some more experienced players, they were pretty strictly book learning at that point and even small deviations were either met with confusion or disdain. Wasn't great fun for me.
    I have to agree with your players. A random wall that nullifies magic isn’t how it works

16. - Top - End - #16
    Dwarf in the Playground

"The Bridge can hold No more than 500 pounds"
    The players (except for the dwarf) assumed that meant "exactly 500 pounds"

The dwarf thought he'd check it, and saved the party a hundred foot fall. The player felt amazing, and it clued to party in to the trap filled lair they were entering.

The bridge max was 400 pounds.
    78% of DM's started their first campaign in a tavern. If you're one of the 22% that didn't, copy and paste this into your signature.Where did you start?
    Outside a town, trying to get the sentries to let them in... So they could rent a room.

Please do not give advice on whether or not to do something, if I am asking how to do it. I've already made up my mind on that matter. You're wasting your time, and annoying me.

17. - Top - End - #17
    Ettin in the Playground

ClericGirl

Quote Originally Posted by BigPixie View Post
    Best Dm Tricks You Use on Player
    I "give them enough rope."
    They do the rest themselves: they either make a macrame hammock out of it1, or they hang themselves.

1 figure of speech for innovative out of the box decisions
    Last edited by KorvinStarmast; 2019-05-17 at 12:23 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Malifice View Post
    (paraphrased) Rulings are not 'House Rules.' Rulings are a DM doing what DMs are supposed to do.
    Quote Originally Posted by greenstone View Post
    Player agency doesn't mean they get to roll for everything. Agency means that they control their character's actions; you control the world's reactions to the character's actions.
    Gosh, 2D8HP, you are so very correct (and also quite handsome) or so I am told ... by 2D8HP

18. - Top - End - #18

PaladinGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Anderlith View Post
    I have to agree with your players. A random wall that nullifies magic isn’t how it works
    When the BBEG starts fondling his necklace and an eyeball statue sprouts out of the wall behind him, I feel like I've left it pretty clear. It used the BBEG's first action and I wasn't at all subtle about the implications.

"Random wall" is not what happened. The amulet creates beholder statues, it was meant to be a challenge and reward for the players. All it turned into was disappointment, they crushed the BBEG and were unhappy about the situation, right up until they discovered the amulet was the cause and they were excited to have it for themselves.

I was still disappointed.
    Last edited by ProsecutorGodot; 2019-05-17 at 12:31 PM.

19. - Top - End - #19
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by ProsecutorGodot View Post
    When the BBEG starts fondling his necklace and an eyeball statue sprouts out of the wall behind him, I feel like I've left it pretty clear. It used the BBEG's first action and I wasn't at all subtle about the implications.

"random wall" is not what happened.
    So they are led to believe that the magic necklace needs to be dealt with not the random wall.

You cannot expect others to intuit the pathology of your thinking.

20. - Top - End - #20
    Ettin in the Playground

BlueKnightGuy

I think the trick here is to never have "passive" benefits. Make sure that it's understood that it's not a function of the boss, but of the statue. For example, allowing casters to cast a spell, and THEN removing casting by summoning the statue, would have given a clear understanding of the situation.

Alternatively, the statue could be treated as a trap, creating a nullification field every round until the start of its next turn in the initiative. What this does is provide a visible effect, like a pulse, that the players can recognize is impacting their fight.

Lastly, you could proactively provide the players clues. For example, when it reaches a caster's turn, you could say that there is an odd sensation of loss, and you feel cut off from the spark of magic. The cause seems to be emanating from an area around the boss, or something nearby. You can attempt to detect the actual source if you focused on doing so (costs an Action).

5th Edition Homebrewery

21. - Top - End - #21
    Ettin in the Playground

ClericGirl

Quote Originally Posted by Anderlith View Post
    You cannot expect others to intuit the pathology of your thinking.
    One of the best sentences I've read this week.

How would you apply the three clue rule to the problem our friend Godot had?
    Quote Originally Posted by Malifice View Post
    (paraphrased) Rulings are not 'House Rules.' Rulings are a DM doing what DMs are supposed to do.
    Quote Originally Posted by greenstone View Post
    Player agency doesn't mean they get to roll for everything. Agency means that they control their character's actions; you control the world's reactions to the character's actions.
    Gosh, 2D8HP, you are so very correct (and also quite handsome) or so I am told ... by 2D8HP

22. - Top - End - #22
    Ogre in the Playground

NinjaGuy

The best thing I do is I try to throw in most overarching mechanics that they'll encounter in the first 2 sessions.
    • Skill Challenges
    • Minion Swarms
    • Traps using the CLICK mechanic
    • Scouting/Terrain matters
    • Storage/Encumbrance issues
    That way it's in their minds when they run into some variant of those later on. Few things suck more as a player than getting 8 sessions in, and then suddenly they have to care about X out of nowhere.
    Always looking for critique of my 5E homebrew!
    Including new Base Classes, a better Ranger, and Subclasses based on:
    • Books
    • TV Shows
    • Marvel Cinematic Universe
    • League of Legends IP
    • Current series: Planeswalker-themed Subclasses based on Magic: The Gathering's War of the Sparks
    And MORE!
    Quote Originally Posted by Bjarkmundur View Post
    ... does this stuff just come naturally to you? Do you even have to try anymore xD
    Vogie is the sh**. I don't really have anything to contribute to the topic, just wanted to point that out.

23. - Top - End - #23
    Ogre in the Playground

ElfRogueGirl

I once made a panel maze puzzle, where each panels had arrows on them. A casual glance would look like the arrows pointed the right direction, but of course there was a catch that you had to follow a certain pattern of where the arrows pointed rather than follow the arrows. It wasn't a particularly complicated puzzle, but I enjoyed that it did take them something like half an hour to figure out the trick.

The next challenge was a pop quiz where the questions were about all our previous campaigns. 'Twas a fun game that day.

24. - Top - End - #24
    Dwarf in the Playground

Can't take credit for this idea, but I tweaked it a bit and ran the version below and it worked like a charm!

Players walk into a room in the dungeon with no other apparent exits. Door slams shut behind them.

Written on the opposite wall in Common are the words "Don't Overthink it!"

Players proceeded to spend the next half hour debating how to get out of the room.

Eventually, one of them figured out that the door that slammed shut wasn't locked and they could leave anytime they want.

25. - Top - End - #25

OrcBarbarianGuy

Kobold Gladiators. Gradiators with Pact Tactics, using scimitars instead of spears.

I ran a campaign where the characters (all good) didn't realize they were tricked into taking out bad guys by even worse bad guys so that they could expand their territory.
    - BloodOgre
    "And now, a song I wrote about Paladins. It's called, 'Crunchy on the Outside, but Chewy in the Middle'!"

26. - Top - End - #26

BardGuy

1. I do not allow people to call their characters by the class names in the book and neither do npcs.

Ex. Your fighter would not call himself a fighter, he might be an adventurer, a guard, a knight, ect.

A cleric might call themselves a priest, a monk, cardinal, ect.

Really makes people stay on their toes when you are describing things.

2. When an NPC casts a spell, I never say what the spell is or even what save it is until people have decided to counterspell or not.

I do have them all on note cards and put them down on the table so people know I am not changing it.

PCs do the same thing.

3. There are no teleport spells unless they are done as a ritual and there is a prepared exit at the other end.

4. For ever 10 points over your current hit points that you are hit with when you drop you get an auto failed death save.

ex. If you were hit for 22 points more damage than you had, you drop to zero and have two failed death saves.
    No more of this whack a mole healing.
    Also, failed death saves stay until you take a long rest.

5. long pit trap that is easy to spot, however not nearly as easy to spot is the small anti magic field about half way across.
    People have to be careful about whole, oh I just cast fly plan.

6. Everything means something, so pay attention.

7. If it is broken and you try to do it, just remember, NPCs can do it too.

8. Enemies will run away if they are losing and go get reinforcements.

9. Enemies are also not self contained morons.
    If you are invading a castle and you get in a fight in room number 4, unless you planned amazingly, the rest of the place will know in seconds, and react accordingly.

10. Enemies that can fly, stay flying, they are not going to go down to the ground to be beaten on by people who could not reach them otherwise.

11. Many enemies especially small ones who are kind of cowardly like goblins or kobolds use the age old strategy of, "They send more than enough."

12. If you are dealing with enemies who are much larger and stronger than you like giants or the like, they makes their doors, chests, and things giant sized and giant weight. You may be able to unlock that giant sized door but I really doubt you care strong enough to open it mr. "8 str" dex guy.

13. Enemies will not fight fair. They are trying to stay alive just as much as the PCs.
    ex. Warforged do not need to breathe so if things go wrong they will jump in the water of a lake or whatever and wait.

14. Most traps do not do a lot of damage, if any at all, but they are very loud.

15. The best kind of trap is the kind you never knew you tripped in the first place.

16. Grunts and guards are cheap in comparison to what kinds of things powerful people can do or what they can have.
    ex. Enemy NPC is an evil warmonger. He could throw 1 gold a day to have 20 out of work commoners just hanging around his keep for no other reason than to alert the guards if the see anything.

27. - Top - End - #27
    Orc in the Playground

Pretending I don't know everything going on in the world.
    Or sometimes pretending that I do.

28. - Top - End - #28
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Misterwhisper View Post
    1. I do not allow people to call their characters by the class names in the book and neither do npcs.
    I am Zandell the all powerful wizz... wiz... wizarrrrr. I’m a wiz...zzz... I mean can cast spells! but not like Rongar the Sorce... the Sorccccc... it must be bedeviled by a Curse from a Warrrrrr.... a warrrrrlllla... one of those other spellcasters that ask for spells but not the Clerrrrrrr.... I mean Cleeeeee...

You know what! You Harold! You fight things right? You fight well? You must be a strong fighttttttt... fightfight! I mean fighty Fightingman!!! Haha!

29. - Top - End - #29
    Ettin in the Playground

Zombie

Used on me. We enter a room with chains hanging from the ceiling. I pull one and a chain devil falls down and attacks.

Normal person: dont pull any more chains.
    Me: I wonder if they all have chain devils?...pulls the next one.
    I am the flush of excitement. The blush on the cheek. I am the Rouge!

30. - Top - End - #30

I once ran a game called 'the Metagame' where each player was playing themselves, and they knew what they actually knew. I let them know ahead of time that there was a great treasure in the early parts of the dungeon, meant for a particular player (it was his birthday).

First, by design, they run into a treasure room. My narration was- "Inside, you are greeted with a magnificent sight- a heavy oaken treasure chest bound in brass, flanked by two flaming braziers. There is a door beyond it, and another to your right."

Anyone looking for traps would have noticed that there were vents on the ceiling pointed at the chest. These were noticed and stuffed up by the party rogue with some cloth they'd found earlier (deliberately put there because, as you will see, I am a monster). This prevented the room from filling up with plague gas. So then the barbarian opens the chest to find a smaller coffer inside. He lifts it out immediately, failing to notice that there was a small rope tethering it. Pulling it caused the braziers to suddenly amplify their flames and roast the party. It also burned the cloth up above. Two members of the party caught sewer plague.

Inside that coffer was 6 copper pieces and a cloak that identified as a Cloak of Protection. Which it was- but the wizard nearly died when he tried putting it on, because it was cursed to strangle whoever wore it. So they ended up ripping it up and got 6 copper for their troubles.

Shortly afterwards, they started noticing that there were three magic seals in the dungeon. Each one had a short riddle:
    1. From stars unknown, search beneath the waters of energy.
    2. From stars unknown, search the reaches of a small world.
    3. From an ancient time, tell me your desire.

The party spent, in real time, somewhere around two hours on this. Eventually they realized that the trick was in the name of the game- there was a metagame.

Underneath the coffee pot I hid a sticky note that said 'da'. On the far side of an old world globe in another room, a note that said 'mihi'. This disengaged the first two seals. But after searching the house top-to-bottom, they couldn't find the third note.

That's when someone finally noticed that the beginning of the third riddle differed from the other two. Minutes later, someone put together that the other two magic words were integral. Then they figured out it was Latin, and that they essentially translated to 'give me' (I deliberately allowed phone use during this game). So they tried just adding the Latin word for 'treasure' and got zapped a few times before someone remembered that conjugation matters in Latin, and finally gave 'a' right password- da mihi divitias (there were a few I would've accepted. Latin's complicated).

Inside- "Before you is the real treasure of the dungeon- a secret cache, surrounded by braziers burning saffron and sandalwood. The glint of the chest before you promises untold riches."

The chest was trapped, but it was a simple one-shot deal and they caught it this time. Inside they got 100 copper pieces, a shortsword, a longsword, a shield, two daggers, leather armor, a breastplate, and Goggles of Night. The disappointment on their faces was delicious.

Fortunately for the party, the rogue refused to believe I'd put absolutely nothing else in there, and checked the area. There was a secret door beyond the chest that did, in fact, lead to yet a third treasure. A normal wooden trunk in a dark hallway, with a note attached to it that said 'happy birthday'. That one had Gauntlets of Ogre Strength, Heward's Handy Haversack, a scroll of Cure Disease, two Healing Potions, and a combined 1,500 gp.

Despite all the jerking around, these guys still talk about this puzzle. I've given out better rewards than this, but they never had to earn it this hard.