Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Barbarian in the Playground

RogueGuy

Default Recruitment for One Punch Man M&M 3e

We've got some interest and are going to play a M&M 3e game. PL: 8 (120PP).
    Last edited by LimSindull; 2019-06-06 at 09:30 AM.
    "I'll get a cool quote, just you wait."
    Here is the backdrop to the first Campaign in my Titan Blood World.
    Bastilonis

2. - Top - End - #2
    Titan in the Playground

Default Re: Interest check for One Punch Man

Okay.

I'm interested in how you think this will actually go, because OPM isn't really the OPM universe without y'know....Saitama, sure there is the hero association and such, but outside of those two things nothing really defines that world, so who is going to be Saitama and thus literally one punch everything into oblivion while everyone else......can't? like how do you see this working?
    My Fan Fiction:
    To Catch A Mew
    A Kalos based pokemon fan fic. Now up to Chapter 23!

3. - Top - End - #3

RogueGuy

So you've seen the show! Yeah, in the show, One Punch Man shows up to threats that bother him enough that he goes out and deals with him, or the enemies seek him out. However, I've noticed other characters in the show that aren't a comedy plot narrative meant to be a parody on a whole culture. Giving a player or an NPC that kind of ability would take away from a game.

The hero association would make for a great plot line in a game. The characters could either start in it or be trying to get in it. There are people that ignore in the show and people that use it to further their own agendas.

A world where demons and other monstrosities appear daily could either lend itself to a fun setting with either single day activities and or overarching narratives for players to explore.

The setting having an ambiguous rating system for everyone to gauge enemies on also lends itself to some fun shinanigans. The difference between wolf and tiger is low, but the difference between tiger and demon leaves a lot of room for powers before the threat gets leveled up.

From a GM perspective, this leaves a lot of levers in play and freedom to build in the world. It also gives the players a lot of agency, something really important to some players, for their character creation and backstory.

The world has very little in the ways of limits that are put on things.

Anyways, this is a feeler. Maybe some interest will show up.
    Bastilonis

4. - Top - End - #4
    Orc in the Playground

DrowGirl

I would be down for this depending on the system.
    "Time is an abstract concept created by carbon-based life-forms to monitor their ongoing decay." - Thunderclese

5. - Top - End - #5
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by LimSindull View Post
    So you've seen the show! Yeah, in the show, One Punch Man shows up to threats that bother him enough that he goes out and deals with him, or the enemies seek him out. However, I've noticed other characters in the show that aren't a comedy plot narrative meant to be a parody on a whole culture. Giving a player or an NPC that kind of ability would take away from a game.

The hero association would make for a great plot line in a game. The characters could either start in it or be trying to get in it. There are people that ignore in the show and people that use it to further their own agendas.

A world where demons and other monstrosities appear daily could either lend itself to a fun setting with either single day activities and or overarching narratives for players to explore.

The setting having an ambiguous rating system for everyone to gauge enemies on also lends itself to some fun shinanigans. The difference between wolf and tiger is low, but the difference between tiger and demon leaves a lot of room for powers before the threat gets leveled up.

From a GM perspective, this leaves a lot of levers in play and freedom to build in the world. It also gives the players a lot of agency, something really important to some players, for their character creation and backstory.

The world has very little in the ways of limits that are put on things.

Anyways, this is a feeler. Maybe some interest will show up.
    eeeeehhh....parody on a whole culture is kind of stretching it, parody on a specific heroic archetype maybe...

so.....whats the difference between this and any other superhero game exactly? OPM without the OPM is kind of a weird sell.
    My Fan Fiction:
    To Catch A Mew
    A Kalos based pokemon fan fic. Now up to Chapter 23!

6. - Top - End - #6
    Ogre in the Playground

PirateGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Lord Raziere View Post
    eeeeehhh....parody on a whole culture is kind of stretching it, parody on a specific heroic archetype maybe...

so.....whats the difference between this and any other superhero game exactly? OPM without the OPM is kind of a weird sell.
    I think OP is interested in the One Punch Man world for most (or all) of these reasons:

- Shonen world, where physical training leads to immense power. I'm not talking about Saitama, I mean guys like Garou, Bang, and Metal Bat, who are some of the mightiest beings in the world simply because they have trained themselves to be really strong, or really skilled, or because they have immense fighting spirit (seriously, Metal Bat is a chad).

- 'Monsters' are often just people who were overcame by their own obsessions or interests, turning them into mock parodies of themselves. In this way, symbolic villains and stories are baked into the world as a whole.

- All superheroes are part of a paid-off organisation run by rich executives. Heroes are organised by rank and number, but many of them don't even care about heroism so much as the celebrity status and power of their position.

- It's in Japan (some people are weaboos. That's okay).

Anyway, to answer your question, those are the differences between running this sort of game and running, like, Marvel. You don't need Saitama to be active for the world to be its own thing with these mostly unique properties.

7. - Top - End - #7

RogueGuy

Izzarra, is there a system that you think would work best? I've used M&M 3e a few times.
    Bastilonis

8. - Top - End - #8
    Orc in the Playground

WolfInSheepsClothing

Depending on the system I will be interested I was thinking of DMing something similar but If it is M&M 3 I will submit a character.

- edit As for the concept I will be playing around with I am thinking a Semi disgraced inventor turned superhero that fights in a mech suit.
    Last edited by Stormwolf69; 2019-05-18 at 10:43 AM.

9. - Top - End - #9
    Orc in the Playground

DrowGirl

Quote Originally Posted by LimSindull View Post
    Izzarra, is there a system that you think would work best? I've used M&M 3e a few times.
    Of the systems that I have played before M&M and BESM would work well.
    I have seen Fate suggested a few times for similar games but I am unlikely to pick it up.
    Personally I like M&M.
    "Time is an abstract concept created by carbon-based life-forms to monitor their ongoing decay." - Thunderclese

10. - Top - End - #10

RogueGuy

What kind of threat level do you think we should shoot for?
    Bastilonis

11. - Top - End - #11
    Troll in the Playground

Personally I love this concept if it's done as Manwithaplan described but I hate the MnM system. Is any other rule set available or desired?
    <BananaPhone> Stop sniveling worm! You think something as petty as "oh boo hoo my house is collapsing!" should stop you from posting in an online fantasy game where people pretend to be werewolves?

"Let me get this straight. Some guy dressed up as Batman to fight the guys dressing up as clowns scaring people. Maybe this planet aint so bad after all."

12. - Top - End - #12

RogueGuy

BESM has been mentioned
    Bastilonis

13. - Top - End - #13
    Titan in the Playground

~I think power game is the best and simplest system for such a thing
    Bazzilion legions of thanks to his highness Emperor Ing for the awesome avatar!

Who want to join some freeform Naruto Rp?
    http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showt...ound-ITP-OOC-1

14. - Top - End - #14
    Orc in the Playground

WolfInSheepsClothing

well for mutants and masterminds 3 edition. What would be the best power level? Well, the question is how strong do you want the heroes to be? If the DC powers levels are to be use as a scale characters like Jonah Hex PL 8. Were a chacter like Darks side or Doomsday is PL 16 (I persionally Like more points the better)

Also how do you feel about the use of sidekicks and minions?
    Last edited by Stormwolf69; 2019-05-19 at 11:04 PM.

15. - Top - End - #15

RogueGuy

I would think around the class B trying to get to class A.
    Bastilonis

16. - Top - End - #16
    Ogre in the Playground

DwarfFighterGuy

Gotta start at either C or not yet in the system. I don't think it is a problem if Saitama is active. It's not like he one punches all the threats, plenty for everyone. Having him show up and quip a few lines would be fun, and really it can't be OPM without him around somewhere. He doesn't really care what rank you are after all, he kinda treats them all the same, more or less.

I like that it has a built in "leveling" system already. It's an old game system, but Champions would work real well for this I think. But no one really uses it anymore.

17. - Top - End - #17
    Ogre in the Playground

DwarfFighterGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Stormwolf69 View Post

I dunno, Genos is his sidekick, but his power level is way above the typical sidekick. Having a sidekick like that kinda ups the power level without really having the drawback of having to watch out for your weaker companion. Having a weaker sidekick would mean a high ranking B would have a low ranking C as a sidekick, don't really see that much in OPM, unless I've missed it.

18. - Top - End - #18
    Troll in the Playground

BardGuy

I might be up for another game, but I'd be more interested in FAE than M&M. I like Mutants & Masterminds, but it's combat can be clunky and drawn out in PbP. But M&M is cool.

Playwise, I think starting C-rank or not-yet-recognized heroes would be the most fun. It sounds fun to be Rank B or low Rank A power but be a newbie.

Quote Originally Posted by Stormwolf69 View Post
    Assuming this is meant mechanically for M&M, I'd recommend not doing it. Stuff like sidekicks, minions and powers that net you more power points (Magic) are easily abused in the game. So just seems best to avoid it unless the players are really doing it for RP purposes and the DM knows to look out for abuses.

19. - Top - End - #19
    Orc in the Playground

WolfInSheepsClothing

Like I said I am waiting to see what the powerpoints level were going to be.

20. - Top - End - #20
    Orc in the Playground

DrowGirl

I would like to see the characters take the entrance exam and be assigned ranks in the C class. This way the GM can introduce us to the setting as there are likely going to be some differences from the Manga/Anime.

In M&M I think that would be in the PL 8-10 range.

21. - Top - End - #21

RogueGuy

It seems the majority of players would like to be fresh starting.

That's easy to build for M&M, and I share JeenLeen's hesitation for combat in M&M. Fight drag out. I see the FAE system mentioned as well as BESM. I'm not familiar, or as familiar with, either of these systems.
    Bastilonis

22. - Top - End - #22
    Orc in the Playground

WolfInSheepsClothing

Would a small team of Minions that are to help repair and maintain a characters power armour be considered for role play if they are non-combatants?

23. - Top - End - #23
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Frendle View Post
    I dunno, Genos is his sidekick, but his power level is way above the typical sidekick. Having a sidekick like that kinda ups the power level without really having the drawback of having to watch out for your weaker companion. Having a weaker sidekick would mean a high ranking B would have a low ranking C as a sidekick, don't really see that much in OPM, unless I've missed it.
    Closest there is to sidekicks (besides Genos) is...the other tornado girl, what's her name...the top-ranked B-class who could easily be higher but deliberately stays at the top of B so she can have her gang of weaker heroes working for her. I think Saitama calls her out on it too, that if a lot of "her" power is actually just the people working for her, then she's not really all that great.

Also, yeah, Genos is absolutely ungodly powerful for a "sidekick" because he's Saitama's sidekick. Batman's sidekick Robin and Thanos' sidekick Ebony Maw (the telekinetic guy) aren't on the same power level either, but that's because Thanos is operating on a whole 'nother level, so of course his sidekick is as well when compared to "normal" sidekicks.

Oh and if this game ends up going M&M3, I'm probably gonna put together an Esper. Beyond being a versatile powerset, I think it's implied in the comics that affecting a target is partially opposed willpower (which is why Tornado had some trouble lifting Saitama when he didn't wanna be lifted), and the idea of telekinesis resisted by Will is interesting fluff-wise.
    Last edited by AvatarVecna; 2019-05-23 at 04:35 PM.
    I'm one of those people who ruins X-stalt/epic games for everybody who's just wanting to play legendary figures.

Current Avatar (Sunny and Violet) was created by the incredibly talented AsteriskAmp.
    Many thanks!

24. - Top - End - #24
    Ogre in the Playground

DwarfFighterGuy

Quote Originally Posted by AvatarVecna View Post

Also, yeah, Genos is absolutely ungodly powerful for a "sidekick" because he's Saitama's sidekick. Batman's sidekick Robin and Thanos' sidekick Ebony Maw (the telekinetic guy) aren't on the same power level either, but that's because Thanos is operating on a whole 'nother level, so of course his sidekick is as well when compared to "normal" sidekicks.
    Of course, there is no reason that a Genos/Saitama(ish) master sidekick could not be done with players.

25. - Top - End - #25
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Frendle View Post
    Of course, there is no reason that a Genos/Saitama(ish) master sidekick could not be done with players.
    Oh indeed.

Spoiler: I spent way too much time on this dumb joke power
    Show
    Spoiler: Power: Saitama Decides To Join The Fight/Statted Up Deus Ex Machina
    Show
    Summon 32 (9)
    • Active (+1/rank)
    • Increased Duration: Continuous (+1/rank)
    • Attitude: Indifferent (-1/rank)
    • Distracting (-1/rank)
    • Feedback (-1/rank)
    • Limited: Doesn't work unless you're getting your ass kicked (-1/rank)
    • Uncontrolled (-1/rank)
    • Unreliable (-1/rank)
    • Innate (+1)

Spoiler: Summon: Saitama (PL 10*/480* PP)
    Show
    Spoiler: Abilities (80)
    Show
    Str 0 (10*) (points put into Str are reflected in the One Punch power rather than here)
    Sta 10*
    Agl 10
    Dex 10*
    Fgt 10*
    Int 0
    Awe 0
    Pre 0

Spoiler: Skills (25)
    Show
    Acrobatics 10*
    Insight 10*
    Intimidation 20*
    Perception 10*

Spoiler: Advantages (106)
    Show
    Accurate Attack
    Agile Feint
    All-Out Attack (no reason not to use fully every time)
    Benefit 1: Ambidexterity
    Equipment 1: Indestructible Hero Costume
    Extraordinary Effort (no reason not to use fully every round)
    Improved Aim (use in combination with Ultimate Aim and Multiattack for high damage against crit-immune targets)
    Improved Critical 18: Unarmed 18 (if you hit, you crit)
    Improved Disarm
    Improved Grab
    Improved Hold
    Improved Initiative 36 (you go first)
    Improved Smash
    Improved Trip
    Improvised Weapon 10*
    Instant Up
    Interpose
    Luck 5*
    Move-By Action
    Power Attack
    Precise Attack 4
    Prone Fighting
    Seize Initiative (YOU GO FIRST)
    Takedown 2 (tear through armies easily)
    Throwing Mastery 10*
    Ultimate Effort: Ultimate Aim
    Weapon Bind
    Weapon Break

Spoiler: Power: Too Tough (89)
    Show
    Immunity 176
    • Distracting (-1/rank)
    • Innate (+1)
    • 80: All effects resisted by Toughness
    • 30: All effects resisted by Fortitude
    • 30: All effects resisted by Will
    • 20: All effects resisted by uncommon resistances
    • 5: Fatigue Effects
    • 5: Entrapment
    • 5: Interaction Skills
    • 1: Own Powers

Spoiler: Power: Too Fast (33)
    Show
    Flight 30
    • Distracting (-1/rank)
    • Limited: Works like Leaping except its not arbitrarily speed-capped (-1/rank)
    • Innate (+1)
    • Alternate Power 1: Speed 30 (+1)
      • Distracting (-1/rank)
      • Innate (+1)

Quickness 30
    • Distracting (-1/rank)
    • Innate (+1)

Spoiler: Power: Too Powerful (11)
    Show
    Enhanced Strength 20
    • Permanent (+0/rank)
    • Limited: Applies to lifting/throwing (-1/rank)
    • Distracting (-1/rank)
    • Innate (+1)

Spoiler: One Punch (136)
    Show
    Basic idea here is that you make a single attack roll, with tradeoffs as appropriate for atk/DC. Multiattack increases the DC based on how well you attack the target. Then they are weakened, afflicted, and damaged in that order. If they are successfully hurt, they are affected by the Move Object power. Anything that gets hit by the moved object along their trajectory is also affected by One Punch as a whole, until the domino effect fails to hurt the next domino in line (or until you get bored of rolling). Oh, and you get fatigued and distracted and affected by One Punch every time you use One Punch, but you're immune to all that so who cares.

Weaken Defenses 10* (55)
    • Will to resist
    • Affects Objects (+1/rank)
    • Broad (+1/rank)
    • Contagious (+1/rank)
    • Linked: Affliction (+0/rank)
    • Linked: Enhanced Strength (+0/rank)
    • Linked: Move Object (+0/rank)
    • Multiattack (+1/rank)
    • Progressive (+2/rank)
    • Simultaneous (+1/rank)
    • Distracting (-1/rank)
    • Side-Effect: Power always affects self as well (-2/rank)
    • Tiring (-1/rank)
    • Affects Insubstantial 2 (+2)
    • Incurable (+1)
    • Innate (+1)
    • Penetrating 10* (+10)
    • Precise (+1)

Affliction 10(45)
    • Will to resist
    • F1: Dazed/Vulnerable
    • F2: Defenseless/Stunned
    • F3: Incapacitated/Unaware
    • Contagious (+1/rank)
    • Cumulative (+1/rank)
    • Extra Condition (+1/rank)
    • Linked: Weaken (+0/rank)
    • Multiattack (+1/rank)
    • Progressive (+1/rank)
    • Distracting (-1/rank)
    • Tiring (-1/rank)
    • Incurable (+1)
    • Innate (+1)
    • Penetrating 10* (+10*)
    • Precise (+1)

"Damage 10" (Enhanced Strength 10*) (20)
    • Contagious (+1/rank)
    • Multiattack (+1/rank)
    • Distracting (-1/rank)
    • Tiring (-1/rank)
    • Incurable (+1)
    • Innate (+1)
    • Penetrating 10* (+10*)
    • Precise (+1)

Move Object 10* (16)
    • Fortitude to resist
    • Contagious (+1/rank)
    • Multiattack (+1/rank)
    • Decreased Range: Close (-1/rank)
    • Distracting (-1/rank)
    • Limited: Only affects target if they get hurt by "Damage" effect (-1/rank)
    • Limited Direction: Away from me (-1/rank)
    • Resistible: Fortitude (-1/rank)
    • Tiring (-1/rank)
    • Innate (+1)
    • Penetrating 10* (+10)
    • Precise (+1)

I'm one of those people who ruins X-stalt/epic games for everybody who's just wanting to play legendary figures.

Current Avatar (Sunny and Violet) was created by the incredibly talented AsteriskAmp.
    Many thanks!

26. - Top - End - #26
    Troll in the Playground

I love the premise of the PCs starting as literal C-listers but...

...But yeah, I can't play in an MnM game no matter the edition. No matter what I do, who coaches me or how many days I sink into the rule book, I *cannot* comprehend how you're supposed to build a damn character using the rules. It's just too frustrating.

Moreso because I've got a character for this but she would technically have an alt form and alternate form character building is the worst of the worst for me when it comes to MnM...
    <BananaPhone> Stop sniveling worm! You think something as petty as "oh boo hoo my house is collapsing!" should stop you from posting in an online fantasy game where people pretend to be werewolves?

"Let me get this straight. Some guy dressed up as Batman to fight the guys dressing up as clowns scaring people. Maybe this planet aint so bad after all."

27. - Top - End - #27
    Orc in the Playground

WolfInSheepsClothing

I think i can help with that. have you read the quick start character generator? I find it helpfull.

28. - Top - End - #28
    Troll in the Playground

I didn't find it helpful the last two times I tried it, no... I dunno if it's changed since then but I really mean it: MnM has frustrated me to the point of tears because it's character building just does not make sense to me. I hate trying at this point becuase it just doesn't work.

I'm probably gonna bow out if the majority wants MnM though. I'd rather not force/complain my way into a different system.... despite now publicly going on record for how much I hate it. :V

29. - Top - End - #29
    Dwarf in the Playground

Lizardfolk

Yeah I'd be interesting in playing.

Edit: I assume its more just using the world of OPM and maybe have Saitama himself pop up every now and again. I could be really fun using a more corporate approach to a superhero world where the characters actually have to worry about money, popularity and rankings compared to most super hero games where that is more or less not worried about.
    Last edited by Jumbus; 2019-05-27 at 09:31 PM.

30. - Top - End - #30
    Orc in the Playground

WolfInSheepsClothing

Well, I think if you guys want I could set up a sandbox game up with the One Punch Man setting.