Page 1 of 6 123456 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Troll in the Playground

GnomeWizardGuy

Default Tentacles: Kung Fu Panda game. Calling Minotaur, bear, or Luxo.

(current proposed characters are a Vanara-dragonborn, a nezumi, a kitsumi, a pixie, and a mongrelfolk....and now a werehorse)

Edit: Our horse/melee player had to drop out due to rl workload. I'd like to replace the character, though not necessarily with another melee build. A minotur, bear, or Luxo would fit nicely. Open to suggestions.

Tentacles.

That is what all the oracles are seeing.

What all the Ouija boards are spelling out.

What every child’s nightmare is about.

Every bard writing a new song finds them in his verse.

Every chef building a new menu wants to order sashimi.

Every sketching sketchy artist…well, let’s not talk about that.

The priests feel that even the gods are nervous, …or embarrassed?

All agree that it is coming from Austros, the South-eastern continent.
    The continent that is hard to scry or teleport to.
    The one with all the weird animals and half feral failed colonies.
    Where prospectors go for opals, but often never return.

The sages and seers all agree, something has awakened .
    Something is growing in Austros.
    The princes agree that they must gather forces and act.
    But while they organize that they’re sending you lot.

You are one of the band of misfits they could put together on short notice to cram on a fast ship and send as an advance group. (unless somehow only ‘normal’ characters get submitted). The queen is sick of these tentacle dreams and has insisted on immediate action.

Edit: We might make this and Asian game as most of the proposed characters are at least somewhat Asian themed.

Set up: You start on a ship heading for Austros to fight tentacles. Press as far ahead as you can. The real expedition will catch up with you...eventually.

1. What game system are you running?

-I’m adapting material form DCC for Dnd 3.x.- Players may run level 7ish characters using 3.0, 3.5, PF, and the Monte Cook Arcana Unearthed/Evolved books. See below for restrictions.
    I’ll let players run a ‘native’ DCC character if they really want to.

Edit: Oriental Adventures, Lot5r, and the Asian classes in the Complete series are recommended.

-Resistance, DR and SR rules will vary per creature. UNDEAD NOT SUBJECT TO CRITS. We will be using 3.5 rules for what isn’t subject to precision damage.

-We will be using the 3.5 xp chart.

-The following skills may be added. Iaijutsu Focus (CHA)(Samurai only), Autohypnosis, Perform: kabuki, Tea ceremony, Calligraphy, Sudoku, Flower Arranging, landscape painting, gardening, landscaping, origami, Go, cooking, Mahjong ,and Shogi

2. What is the setting for the game
    -Generic fantasy. Clerics may use Greek, Norse, FR, GH, or the benign PF gods. No evil clerics.
    Edit: If Asian, then actual or dnd expys of Taoist, Shinto, Confucianism, Buddhism, spirits/kami/ancestor worship, Celestial Bureaucracy
    No firearms or bombers (PF alchemist)
    The Princes sending you on the mission, but I won’t developed the Kingdoms beyond throwaway lines as the adventure will take place at the destination.

3. How many Players are you looking for? Will you be taking alternates, and if so, how many?
    4-8. Daily posting please.

4. What's the gaming medium (OOTS, chat, e-mail etc.)?
    This forum.

5. What is the characters' starting status (i.e. experience level)?

-Option 1: “normal” level 7.
    -Option 2: Gestalt level 5. Gestalt characters will be treated as level +1 for xp purposes. Yes, that means you will be treated as level 6 at start of game.
    More diverse abilities, or more hit dice? Decisions, decisions….

-If you choose a race with an LA or racial HD, it counts towards both sides of the gestalt build.

-You may (optional) bring a level 4 non-gestalt sidekick along, with the same classes as your main character. (guard the mounts/replacement pc. This is your squire/apprentice.)

6. How much gold or other starting funds will the characters begin with?
    13000 gp per pc.
    1000 gp per sidekick (to equip the sidekick until he inherits something. No using sidekick funds for your main character)

Your employers will be providing the following equipment to the pcs (not the sidekicks):
    +1 armor of player choice.
    +1 weapon of player choice.
    1 cold iron, 1 silver, and 1 ghost touch item (you may combine these, but you don’t get extra items. So if you want a +1 silver ghost touch sword and a cold iron dagger, then that is all of your free weapons) .
    Spell books. Go ahead and pick 2 spells of each level you can’t cast yet, as you may not be able to resupply.
    Mount: choice of horse, pony, camel, riding dog. (for pc and sidekick) Comes with saddle and tack.
    1 pack mule. 30 days rations per pc.
    -Banned items: everlasting food /beverage sources. Monk's belt

Edit: 3.0, 3.5, and Pathfinder equipment lists may be used.

7. Are there any particular character classes, professions, orders, etc. that you want... or do not want? What are your rules on 'prestige' and/or homebrewed classes?

-No homebrew or ‘fixes’. Published sources only. All third party material requires approval.

-No firearms or explosive based classes. (pf alchemist)

-No classes with a ‘world mind’ mechanic.

-No necromancers.

-No Bo9s:TOB or similar (stances, maneuvers), or ‘ritual warrior’ from AE.

-You can run a monk, but it is a ‘tentacles’ themed game, so do you really want to be touching that?

--Prestige:

-No classes based on being or becoming evil, insane, corrupted, undead, plain dead, drunk, or monstrous.

-If you are playing gestalt, then the usual restrictions on prcs apply (Mystic Theurge)

8. What races, subraces, species, etc. are allowed for your game? Will you allow homebrewed races or species? 'Prestige' races or species?

--Please read carefully:
    -No homebrew.

-No drow or anything else that can’t be in direct sunlight. No undead/dead, incorporeal, or amorphous. No medusa like things with passive ‘can’t look at me’. Must be able to climb a ladder and breathe air without spells, items, or time limits. Nothing that can be mistaken for a squid or has tentacles. Nothing larger than large or smaller than tiny. Nothing blind, deaf, mute, or unable to speak common (I’ll let a thri-keen slide but not as a wizard). Must be an adult (full sized for your species). Nothing that must eat sentients or drain lifeforce. Able to hold and use items (sorry, no Lassie). Nothing with earthglide. IF you come up with something that surprises me, I reserve the right to say “No, not that either”.

Edit: If you want to run an awakened viper, you can. IF you want a thri-keen monk who speaks common, you can.

LA of 6 or less without racial HD. With racial HD, ecl of 7 or less. If ecl is 7 you start with no class levels.

You may take racial levels (Unearthed Arcana or Arcana Unearthed), or advance by HD, but no whining about it later (or in advance).

9. By what method should Players generate their attributes/ability scores and Hit Points?

Option 1: You may use an Iconic or PF sample character of level 7. You may change non mechanical features.

Option 2: 25 point buy. Use this site: http://jody-white.com/pathfinder-ability-score-calculator.php

Roll HP after level 1, minimum ½ of the hit die. (4 for a d8).

10. Does your game use alignment? What are your restrictions, if so?
    -No evil. No alignment clashes in the build (paladin/bard). CN and N does not mean acting randomly.

11. Do you allow multi-classing, or have any particular rules in regards to it?
    -No alignment clashes in the build. FX abilities tracked separately for each class. (multiclasses wizard/cleric uses INT for wizard spells and Wis for Cleric spells, and has separate prep times)

12. Will you be doing all of the die rolling during the course of the game? Will die rolls be altered, or left to the honor system? If players can make die rolls, which ones do they make, how should they make the rolls, and how should they report them?

-Roll most things in the IC thread. Roll crit confirmation and damage along with to hit. We’ll calculate crits by multiplying the damage result.

13. Are there any homebrewed or optional/variant rules that your Players should know about? If so, list and explain them, or provide relevant links to learn about these new rules.
    -Resistance, SR, and DR rules vary per creature. 3.5 rules for what creature types can’t be critted. All casting from different classes tracked separately.

-If I call for a spot check and you are running a PF character, roll perception with relevant vision modifiers. Ditto on other skills that pf blends.

-Magic items may be custom/wonky.

-I might simplify enemy casters or port a creature form a different edition, but I won’t announce this.

14. Is a character background required? If so, how big? Are you looking for anything in particular (i.e. the backgrounds all ending up with the characters in the same city)?

-No. You agreed to take the mission.

15. Does your game involve a lot of hack & slash, puzzle solving, roleplaying, or a combination of the above?

-Combination but hack heavy.

16. Are your Players restricted to particular rulebooks and supplements, or will you be allowing access to non-standard material? What sources can Players use for their characters?

-Answered above.

https://i0.wp.com/www.nelevation.com...size=300%2C300
    Last edited by jakarta; 2019-06-08 at 12:19 PM.
    General purpose Avengers: Endgame and G.O.T 8.3 spoiler.

Spoiler:
    Show
    <The short Stark pulls a slick move to get the weapon to the other hand, then with one final stroke disintegrates the Big Bad and takes out his army. >

]

2. - Top - End - #2
    Ettin in the Playground

Default Re: Tentacles

So, we can combine +1 weapon and cold iron weapon ... can we combine apprentice/squire with mount, presuming our own class is sufficiently nonmagical? Like, a warhorse barbarian or dog rogue. Can a ranger or paladin combine the free mount's HD or the squire's class levels with their special companion?

How do squires/apprentices determine stats and HP?

Do squires/apprentices have to have the same archetypes or ACFs as their PC?

"UNDEAD NOT SUBJECT TO CRITS" -- even with the ACFs/items/spells that allow it?

Kinda been wanting to try a gestalt totemist|incarnate ...
    Last edited by Dimers; 2019-05-17 at 02:17 PM.
    Avatar by Meltheim: Eveve, dwarven battlemind, 4e Dark Sun

3. - Top - End - #3
    Colossus in the Playground

I might be down for this.

Perhaps as a Caster/Dragonfire Adept.
    I have a LOT of Homebrew!

Current Avatar by Elder Tsofu, who is awesome!

Spoiler: Former Avatars
    Show
    Spoiler: Avatar (Not In Use) By Professor Gnoll!
    Show

Spoiler: Avatar (Not In Use) By Cdr. Fallout!
    Show

4. - Top - End - #4
    Troll in the Playground

GnomeWizardGuy

QUOTE=Dimers;23916963]So, we can combine +1 weapon and cold iron weapon ..

. can we combine apprentice/squire with mount

no. The sidekick is it's own seperate character.

presuming our own class is sufficiently nonmagical? Like, a warhorse barbarian or dog rogue.

sidekicks follow the same restrictions as main characters.

Can a ranger or paladin combine the free mount's HD or the squire's class levels with their special companion?

no. The free mount is just a ride. If you would rather ride your companion then you can decide if the free one moves to the baggage train, or if you just didn't take the free by when offered. Not that much room on the ship...

If later you want to convert the horse to companion status, you can.

How do squires/apprentices determine stats and HP?

same as main characters. They just can't be gestalt.

Do squires/apprentices have to have the same archetypes or ACFs as their PC?

yes*. And if cleric follow the same pantheon. If wizard the same specialty. The side kick may not be higher in any class than the master. Later, if the master takes a prestige class the sidekick may progress in the original class.

Spontaneous casters don't have to have the same spells.

*If they don't qualify due to race they can take the standard level for the class.

"UNDEAD NOT SUBJECT TO CRITS" -- even with the ACFs/items/spells that allow it?

only if you gain a 3.5 prestige undead killing prestige class, but that may not be the best choice for fighting tentacles.

If you want an undead killing weapon you are probably better off with bane or disruption. If you just have to have a dagger of critting undead you can buy it with your initial budget, but they won't be available in Austros. You might be better off spending the money on an arrow of squid slaying...

Spells will work as normal.

Kinda been wanting to try a gestalt totemist|incarnate ...[/QUOTE]

-- I'm going to ban the leadership feat, as the sidekick covers that option.

Spoiler:
    Show
    <The short Stark pulls a slick move to get the weapon to the other hand, then with one final stroke disintegrates the Big Bad and takes out his army. >

]

5. - Top - End - #5
    Troll in the Playground

AssassinGuy

Can we fight tentacles with tentacles?
    "Everything in creation is flawed. Humans don't need to be mentioned. Air, intent, and even time. My eyes can see the death of things. They're special, like yours. So I can kill anything that lives. Even if that thing is God."

6. - Top - End - #6
    Troll in the Playground

GnomeWizardGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Yas392 View Post
    Can we fight tentacles with tentacles?
    If you don't have anything else to improvise a weapon with....

Evard's spells are available, but may also be used by Gm.

Spoiler:
    Show

]

7. - Top - End - #7
    Ettin in the Playground

A'ight. I'm making a dragonborn vanara totemist|incarnate with a nezumi totemist NPC. The apprentice has followed me fanatically from faraway lands because he thinks astrology demands it: Rat matches up well with Dragon and Monkey.

EDIT: Are you allowing 3.X flaws and traits?
    Last edited by Dimers; 2019-05-18 at 04:38 AM.

8. - Top - End - #8
    Troll in the Playground

GnomeWizardGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Dimers View Post
    A'ight. I'm making a dragonborn vanara totemist|incarnate with a nezumi totemist NPC. The apprentice has followed me fanatically from faraway lands because he thinks astrology demands it: Rat matches up well with Dragon and Monkey.

EDIT: Are you allowing 3.X flaws and traits?
    No on the flaws. I think this will end up much in enough without them.

What color dragonborn. ?

Let's hope monkey dragon + rat > squid.

The city masters are quite happy that these two 'exotic guests' are shipping out on this adventure. ( See lot5r, Oriental Adventures, or such for Jade and obsidian weapon pricing)

Spoiler:
    Show

]

9. - Top - End - #9
    Ettin in the Playground

Hmm, what color ... ummmmm ... incarnum dragon?

10. - Top - End - #10
    Troll in the Playground

GnomeWizardGuy

If you want pink we can work out bubblegum. Even if it fits a monkey, I'm taking yellow off the table. (Erfworld)
    You should try to match the characters alignment.

Wait, I'm getting editions confused.
    You mean the 3.5 dragonborn, right?

http://archive.wizards.com/default.a...nd/iw/20060105

Spoiler:
    Show

]

11. - Top - End - #11
    Ettin in the Playground

I can't get that link to work. But yes, I mean the Races Of The Dragon dragonborn. No color selection involved. Most of the pics show purple scales, in fact.

12. - Top - End - #12
    Ogre in the Playground

This is going to be a mess, a huge, huge, mess. The question, if it will be a fun mess. I'm thinking about something Pathfinder based, maybe with 3.X stuff mixing editions is allowed.

Spheres are one thing I really like to use whenever playing Pathfinder.
    I color is green, no I blue. Ok, ok, I think color. not sure now to call it

Shameless self promotion in 3... 2... 1... my DA link. I got drawing, I got litterature. You have to see it

13. - Top - End - #13
    Troll in the Playground

GnomeWizardGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Greenflame133 View Post
    This is going to be a mess, a huge, huge, mess. The question, if it will be a fun mess. I'm thinking about something Pathfinder based, maybe with 3.X stuff mixing editions is allowed.

Spheres are one thing I really like to use whenever playing Pathfinder.
    This is the mess:

Spoiler: messy
    Show

We're not using Spheres or other Book of 9 Swords related. It's basically the opposite of my preferred play-style (fighters = simple), and with 3.5 and 'standard' Pathfinder there is already enough of a spaghetti tangle of options.

I do allow (and occasionally encourage) some edition mixing. However, I try to manage out the really broken combinations.

Last edited by jakarta; 2019-05-18 at 11:36 AM.

Spoiler:
    Show

]

14. - Top - End - #14
    Troll in the Playground

GnomeWizardGuy

Quote Originally Posted by JNAProductions View Post
    I might be down for this.

Perhaps as a Caster/Dragonfire Adept.
    At the risk of sounding like a parrot, what color?

Spoiler:
    Show

]

15. - Top - End - #15
    Ogre in the Playground

Note there is SoP and SoM, SoP is just for casters. Problem with simple is that is reputable and if we are going to be doing even an average amount of hack & slash I would rather play something that doesn't repeat the same set of actions on each round of combat.

Shameless self promotion in 3... 2... 1... my DA link. I got drawing, I got litterature. You have to see it

16. - Top - End - #16
    Troll in the Playground

GnomeWizardGuy

Note there is SoP and SoM, SoP is just for casters. Problem with simple is that is reputable and if we are going to be doing even an average amount of hack & slash I would rather play something that doesn't repeat the same set of actions on each round of combat.
    Do you mean 'repetitive'?

Spoiler:
    Show

]

17. - Top - End - #17
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by jakarta View Post
    Do you mean 'repetitive'?
    repetitive combat is repeating the same set of actions continually.

18. - Top - End - #18

At the risk of sounding like a parrot, what color?
    Dragonfire Adepts don't choose a color.

Show
    Show

Show

19. - Top - End - #19
    Troll in the Playground

GnomeWizardGuy

I guess gf133 did mean repetitive instead of reputable...

And I'm a bit Rusty with late 3.5 source books...

Upon review, Dragonfire adept looks fine. What race are you wanting?
    Last edited by jakarta; 2019-05-18 at 10:54 PM.

Spoiler:
    Show

]

20. - Top - End - #20
    Ogre in the Playground

Here is an idea
    Pixie (4) || Kineticist (4)
    with Kitsune sidekick.

21. - Top - End - #21
    Troll in the Playground

GnomeWizardGuy

Here is an idea
    Pixie (4) || Kineticist (4)
    with Kitsune sidekick.
    1. Do you mean the pf occult class, or the psion tekekinesis specialist? I'm assuming the occult class.

2. You can run a pixie with two class levels. Pixie(LA +4), Kineticist 2 for an level 6 . We aren't gestalting with race levels.
    For the sidekick, the apprentice shouldn't exceed the master in a class, but we can make her a Kinsuni sorc 1, Kineticist 2.
    Sorc seems to be the default class for kitsuni.

Spoiler:
    Show

]

22. - Top - End - #22
    Ogre in the Playground

That wouldn't really work. I would end up contributing very little to the group. Maybe I will go with Kineticist || Sorcerer, would you mind making bloodline familiar for unicorn blood line?

23. - Top - End - #23
    Troll in the Playground

GnomeWizardGuy

That wouldn't really work. I would end up contributing very little to the group. Maybe I will go with Kineticist || Sorcerer, would you mind making bloodline familiar for unicorn blood line?
    Do you mean swapping you first bloodline power for a familiar? If so, I'm ok with that.

Are you talking about a a pixie with 2 caster levels, "contributing very little"? an invisible, flying, confusion specialist, with fire starting magic? If so, you either don't play pixies right, or you are using the wrong matrix for "contributing".

If you are talking about the sidekick, well, she isn't supposed to contribute that much.

Spoiler:
    Show

]

24. - Top - End - #24
    Ogre in the Playground

Do you mean swapping you first bloodline power for a familiar? If so, I'm ok with that.

Are you talking about a a pixie with 2 caster levels, "contributing very little"? an invisible, flying, confusion specialist, with fire starting magic? If so, you either don't play pixies right, or you are using the wrong matrix for "contributing".

If you are talking about the sidekick, well, she isn't supposed to contribute that much.
    I'm looking at Familiar Folio pg. 16, this familiar replaces lv 1 ability and delays the progression of bonus spells by 1 level, but gets special ability based on the bloodline, for unicorn it would have to be an ability made by you.

Majority of these arrows are hard to employ in combat when facing more than 1 person. Sleep would be nice, but rules are generally designed to make waking up easy. Even then, I would probably have to go Fighter (Archer) or UMonk (Zen Archer) to apply multiple arrows at ones. Still, I would have to both hit and have enemy fail to save.

Even assuming enemy doesn't have any special defence (life protection from arrows, immunity to sleep, see invisibility, perception skill unlock, etc) that doesn't give me too good odds. On top of that these arrows are limited and with fight or two will run out, and then my options are even more limited

25. - Top - End - #25
    Troll in the Playground

GnomeWizardGuy

1. Celestial—Heavenly Touch sounds right for unicorn bloodline. Which familiar do you want? Are we talking about the pixie or the kitsumi? Both?

2. So you are both playing a pixie wrong and are using the wrong matrix (combat). But that is a topic for a rules discussion tread, so let's table the matter here.
    3. If you aren't as keen on pixies, would you rather focus in kitsumi? They have no level adjustment.

4. I'm thinking of splitting this recruitment thread into western (dwarves and knights) and eastern(catgirls and samurai) expeditions, and/or bumping to level 7.
    Anybody have any thoughts on this?

Spoiler:
    Show

]

26. - Top - End - #26
    Troll in the Playground

GnomeWizardGuy

Dragonfire Adepts don't choose a color.
    I was thinking of dragon Shaman.

Spoiler:
    Show

]

27. - Top - End - #27
    Troll in the Playground

AssassinGuy

No on the flaws. I think this will end up much in enough without them.

What color dragonborn. ?

Let's hope monkey dragon + rat > squid.

The city masters are quite happy that these two 'exotic guests' are shipping out on this adventure. ( See lot5r, Oriental Adventures, or such for Jade and obsidian weapon pricing)
    I was about to make an anthropomorphic octopus when this came up and I thought you were talking about my character. But anthropomorphic octopus and squid are totally different sub-species.

Seeing that most on the board are leaning towards zodiac/oriental animals makes me want to join the wagon. Maybe a chicken, cockatrice or even an anthro rabbit for good compatibility with the dragon monkey. But I might also settled on mongrel half-orc PF fighter/earth sorcerer with some dwarfish blood in their veins.
    Last edited by Yas392; 2019-05-19 at 09:27 AM.
    "Everything in creation is flawed. Humans don't need to be mentioned. Air, intent, and even time. My eyes can see the death of things. They're special, like yours. So I can kill anything that lives. Even if that thing is God."

28. - Top - End - #28
    Ogre in the Playground

1. Celestial—Heavenly Touch sounds right for unicorn bloodline. Which familiar do you want? Are we talking about the pixie or the kitsumi? Both?
    I'm thinking about that. Thrush with Protector archetype is my usual choice but I will be looking over the options, for race, I'm looking at Pixie, Kitsune and Merfolk.
    2. So you are both playing a pixie wrong and are using the wrong matrix (combat). But that is a topic for a rules discussion tread, so let's table the matter here.
    For hack havy game? If combat is what we are doing then combat is what matters.
    3. If you aren't as keen on pixies, would you rather focus in kitsumi? They have no level adjustment.
    Thinking about it
    4. I'm thinking of splitting this recruitment thread into western (dwarves and knights) and eastern(catgirls and samurai) expeditions, and/or bumping to level 7.
    Anybody have any thoughts on this?
    Do we have enough people for 2 games?

29. - Top - End - #29

Mongrelfolk is the classic.

If cheese is allowed, Arctic Dragonborn Lesser Ooze Para-Genasi is always fun.

Show
    Show

Show

30. - Top - End - #30
    Ogre in the Playground

Mongrelfolk is the classic.

If cheese is allowed, Arctic Dragonborn Lesser Ooze Para-Genasi is always fun.
    I pretty sure we aren't supposed to cheese, else I got a painter with an improved copy of Cernunnos Empyreal Lord, at their service.