1. - Top - End - #1
    Dwarf in the Playground

Griffon

Default Artificer with Repeating Shot Infusion on a Scorpion, Cannons, or Ballistas?

Hello all, I was just reading the new UA Artificer Returns stuff, and I was wondering if I missed anything or can you legitimately make a siege weapon like a Scorpion, Ballista, or Cannon an auto-loading magical ranged weapon that supplies its own ammunition? This seems really really powerful, especially if there are rules for the base weapons but I don't think there are?

I do love the idea of an Artificer with his own cart being dragged by his Iron Defender, with a concealed Scorpion on it :). I included some pictures if you don't know what a Scorpion is.

https://www.google.com/url?sa=i&sour...58206143429872

https://www.google.com/url?sa=i&sour...58206096063429
    Last edited by Citadel97501; 2019-05-17 at 02:02 PM.

2. - Top - End - #2
    Dwarf in the Playground

Default Re: Artificer with Repeating Shot Infusion on a Scorpion, Cannons, or Ballistas?

Siege weapons probably aren't classed as "simple or martial" weapons. And might not have ANY weapon properties at all, really, but I don't actually know where their rules are.

3. - Top - End - #3
    Ogre in the Playground

Default Re: Artificer with Repeating Shot Infusion on a Scorpion, Cannons, or Ballistas?

Needs to be a simple or martial weapon.

Siege weapons are neither.

4. - Top - End - #4
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Citadel97501 View Post
    Hello all, I was just reading the new UA Artificer Returns stuff, and I was wondering if I missed anything or can you legitimately make a siege weapon like a Scorpion, Ballista, or Cannon an auto-loading magical ranged weapon that supplies its own ammunition? This seems really really powerful, especially if there are rules for the base weapons but I don't think there are?

I do love the idea of an Artificer with his own cart being dragged by his Iron Defender, with a concealed Scorpion on it :). I included some pictures if you don't know what a Scorpion is.

Siege weapons are simple enough to use... I would allow it, the amount of situations a player would be able to go crazy with siege weaponry would be few & far between

5. - Top - End - #5
    Firbolg in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by OvisCaedo View Post
    Siege weapons probably aren't classed as "simple or martial" weapons. And might not have ANY weapon properties at all, really, but I don't actually know where their rules are.
    It's in the DMG. They are crew-served weapons which have a fixed to-hit bonus and damage, no matter who the crew is.
    June 17, 2019: No longer on GITP due to frustrations with forum technology and culture. Find me on Reddit as hemlockR.

6. - Top - End - #6
    Troll in the Playground

BlueKnightGuy

Would a DM support a Warlock being able to summon a trebuchet?

Likely, No.

Warlocks, however, have the ability to conjure a weapon of their choosing. So if they cannot summon trebuchets, then trebuchets are not weapons, at least as a mechanical ruling.
    Quote Originally Posted by KOLE View Post
    MOG, design a darn RPG system. Seriously, the amount of ideas Iíve gleaned from your posts has been valuable. Youíre a gem of the community here.
    Quote Originally Posted by Man_Over_Game View Post

5th Edition Homebrewery

Prestige Options, changing primary attributes while maintaining balance with default options.
    Adrenaline Surge, fitting Short Rests into combat to fix bosses/Short Rest Classes.
    Pain, using Exhaustion to make tactical martial combatants.
    Fate Sorcery, lucky winner of the 5e D&D Subclass Contest VII!

7. - Top - End - #7
    Barbarian in the Playground

SolithKnightGuy

Likely, No.

Warlocks, however, have the ability to conjure a weapon of their choosing. So if they cannot summon trebuchets, then trebuchets are not weapons, at least as a mechanical ruling.
    I'm now going to create a Homebrew pact. Pact of the Siege. Just so that I can make Siegelocks that summon trebuchets to deal with all their problems.

Locked door? Trebuchet.
    Pesky wall in the way? Trebuchet.
    Enemies appear? Trebuchet.
    Owe someone money? Trebuchet.

8. - Top - End - #8
    Troll in the Playground

BlueKnightGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Galithar View Post
    I'm now going to create a Homebrew pact. Pact of the Siege. Just so that I can make Siegelocks that summon trebuchets to deal with all their problems.

Locked door? Trebuchet.
    Pesky wall in the way? Trebuchet.
    Enemies appear? Trebuchet.
    Owe someone money? Trebuchet.
    Oh, it gets better. Just consider the shenanigans if you had access to the Fly spell.
    MOG, design a darn RPG system. Seriously, the amount of ideas Iíve gleaned from your posts has been valuable. Youíre a gem of the community here.

5th Edition Homebrewery

Prestige Options, changing primary attributes while maintaining balance with default options.
    Adrenaline Surge, fitting Short Rests into combat to fix bosses/Short Rest Classes.

9. - Top - End - #9

SolithKnightGuy

Oh, it gets better. Just consider the shenanigans if you had access to the Fly spell.
    I am assuming this is a full sized trebuchet not some little recreation knock off mini. How would flying do anything? The trebuchet is still earthbound unless you have some crazy high strength! Or am I just missing some shenanigans?

10. - Top - End - #10
    Bugbear in the Playground

ElfWarriorGuy

Likely, No.

Came here to say this.

Would you allow a Bladelock to get a magic siege weapon as their pact weapon? If yes, then its ok.

11. - Top - End - #11
    Troll in the Playground

BlueKnightGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Galithar View Post
    I am assuming this is a full sized trebuchet not some little recreation knock off mini. How would flying do anything? The trebuchet is still earthbound unless you have some crazy high strength! Or am I just missing some shenanigans?
    Using, say, the trap rules in the DMG, how much damage do you think a trebuchet, falling 500 feet, would do to a city?

Once a round?

5th Edition Homebrewery

12. - Top - End - #12
    Troll in the Playground

EvilClericGuy

Likely, No.

PotB specifically allows for melee weapons from PHB. Trebuchet isn't there. Neither is the yklwa (spelling?), double-bladed scimitar, or any of the monster attack options.

If they find magic trebuchet to bond with....

13. - Top - End - #13
    Troll in the Playground

BlueKnightGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Rukelnikov View Post
    Came here to say this.

Would you allow a Bladelock to get a magic siege weapon as their pact weapon? If yes, then its ok.
    Quote Originally Posted by JackPhoenix View Post
    PotB specifically allows for melee weapons from PHB. Trebuchet isn't there. Neither is the yklwa (spelling?), double-bladed scimitar, or any of the monster attack options.

If they find magic trebuchet to bond with....

I realized after posting it that the weapon would have to be magical for it to work, but the same thing is true as an Eldritch Knight without the requirement for the weapon to be magical.
    Last edited by Man_Over_Game; 2019-05-17 at 05:01 PM.

5th Edition Homebrewery

14. - Top - End - #14
    Bugbear in the Playground

ElfWarriorGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Citadel97501 View Post

Take into account, that siege weapons don't have the ammunition property, so they wouldn't be eligible for the Repeating Shot infusion, and even if allowed, they don't have the loading property, so the infusion wouldn't skip that either.

At this point, allowing it is completely homebrew, so you should just choose how to run it.

15. - Top - End - #15

SolithKnightGuy

Using, say, the trap rules in the DMG, how much damage do you think a trebuchet, falling 500 feet, would do to a city?

Once a round?
    So yes, shenanigans I was missing! Lol
    I never thought of using the Trebuchet as an improvised bomb. If I actually made the Pact I would put wording in it that placed it on the ground, in unoccupied space, within 10 feet of you. At least I would now that you pointed this out! I want the Trebuchet to be fired not dropped.