The Order of the Stick: Utterly Dwarfed
The Order of the Stick: Utterly Dwarfed - Coming in December and available for pre-order now
Page 46 of 50 FirstFirst ... 21363738394041424344454647484950 LastLast
Results 1,351 to 1,380 of 1472
  1. - Top - End - #1351
    Titan in the Playground
     
    Blackhawk748's Avatar

    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Location
    Tharggy, on Tellene
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Warhammer 40K Tabletop Thread XXXVII: Highlighting the Contrasts

    Quote Originally Posted by Manticoran View Post
    >.> I legit started playing Orkz so I could just throw random parts of vehicles together to make Looted Vehicles.
    This is a valid reason

    Quote Originally Posted by Hootman View Post
    I'm reasonably sure this is how all Ork players get started. That, and the desire to scream war cries at (or with) their toy soldiers.
    And there are the other ones. That and being super forgiving with conversions, cuz Orks
    Quote Originally Posted by Guigarci View Post
    "Mr. Aochev, tear down this wall!" Ro'n Ad-Ri'Gan, Bard
    Tiefling Sorcerer by Linkele
    Spoiler: Homebrew stuff
    Show
    My Spell, My Weapon, Im a God

    My Post Apocalyptic Alternate Timeline setting: Amerhikan Wasteland


    My Historical Stuff channel

  2. - Top - End - #1352
    Titan in the Playground
     
    Cheesegear's Avatar

    Join Date
    Jan 2008

    Default Re: Warhammer 40K Tabletop Thread XXXVII: Highlighting the Contrasts

    Quote Originally Posted by Blackhawk748 View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Manticoran View Post
    >.> I legit started playing Orkz so I could just throw random parts of vehicles together to make Looted Vehicles.
    This is a valid reason.
    [...]
    That and being super forgiving with conversions, cuz Orks
    Depends on whether or not you're putting literal garbage on the board. Every Ork player I've who has used 'conversions' as a reason to get into Orks has used it for justification to use basically trash (i.e; Why buy real models when I can use this thing I found at the $2 shop and put electrical garbage on it?)

    The only person I know who has done it correctly sold all his Looted Vehicles (i.e; Converted Leman Russes) 'cause GW made them Open Play only and thus, expensive paperweights.
    Last edited by Cheesegear; 2019-08-19 at 07:49 PM.
    Steam Name: Cheesegear
    League of Legends Name: Cheesegear
    You can fight like a krogan or run like a leopard but you'll never be better than Commander Shepard.


    Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Anuan View Post
    Cheesegear; Lovable Thesaurus ItP.
    Quote Originally Posted by Lycan 01 View Post
    Cheesegear, have I told you yet that you're awesome?
    Quote Originally Posted by MeatShield#236 View Post
    ALL HAIL LORD CHEESEGEAR! Cheese for the cheesegear!
    Quote Originally Posted by Shas'aia Toriia View Post
    Cheesegear is awesome

  3. - Top - End - #1353
    Titan in the Playground
     
    Blackhawk748's Avatar

    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Location
    Tharggy, on Tellene
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Warhammer 40K Tabletop Thread XXXVII: Highlighting the Contrasts

    Quote Originally Posted by Cheesegear View Post
    Depends on whether or not you're putting literal garbage on the board. Every Ork player I've who has used 'conversions' as a reason to get into Orks has used it for justification to use basically trash (i.e; Why buy real models when I can use this thing I found at the $2 shop and put electrical garbage on it?)

    The only person I know who has done it correctly sold all his Looted Vehicles (i.e; Converted Leman Russes) 'cause GW made them Open Play only and thus, expensive paperweights.
    I didn't mean that forgiving (though I have seen some hilarious usage of Monster Truck toys) I meant it mroe of "You clipped a Rokkit off your Rokkit Launcha and stuck a pair of storm bolters on the end so it sorta looks like a gun and called it a Snazzgun."

    Basically I call them Easy Mode conversions which let you get practice for the harder ones
    Quote Originally Posted by Guigarci View Post
    "Mr. Aochev, tear down this wall!" Ro'n Ad-Ri'Gan, Bard
    Tiefling Sorcerer by Linkele
    Spoiler: Homebrew stuff
    Show
    My Spell, My Weapon, Im a God

    My Post Apocalyptic Alternate Timeline setting: Amerhikan Wasteland


    My Historical Stuff channel

  4. - Top - End - #1354
    Dwarf in the Playground
    Join Date
    Nov 2014
    Location
    Winter
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Warhammer 40K Tabletop Thread XXXVII: Highlighting the Contrasts

    Quote Originally Posted by Blackhawk748 View Post
    I didn't mean that forgiving (though I have seen some hilarious usage of Monster Truck toys) I meant it mroe of "You clipped a Rokkit off your Rokkit Launcha and stuck a pair of storm bolters on the end so it sorta looks like a gun and called it a Snazzgun."

    Basically I call them Easy Mode conversions which let you get practice for the harder ones
    Orks and to a slightly lesser degree Chaos, just stick som barrels/tentacles on it and it works.

    Eldar feels like they would be the hardest.

  5. - Top - End - #1355
    Titan in the Playground
     
    Cheesegear's Avatar

    Join Date
    Jan 2008

    Default Re: Warhammer 40K Tabletop Thread XXXVII: Highlighting the Contrasts

    Quote Originally Posted by The Patterner View Post
    Orks and to a slightly lesser degree Chaos, just stick som barrels/tentacles on it and it works.
    Back when I was in high school, we had a guy who made Nurgle Daemons using paper clips and blu-tac.
    Literally none of us were impressed.

    ...Until he bought a bunch of sculpting tools and got good at it.
    Last edited by Cheesegear; 2019-08-20 at 02:41 AM.
    Steam Name: Cheesegear
    League of Legends Name: Cheesegear
    You can fight like a krogan or run like a leopard but you'll never be better than Commander Shepard.


    Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Anuan View Post
    Cheesegear; Lovable Thesaurus ItP.
    Quote Originally Posted by Lycan 01 View Post
    Cheesegear, have I told you yet that you're awesome?
    Quote Originally Posted by MeatShield#236 View Post
    ALL HAIL LORD CHEESEGEAR! Cheese for the cheesegear!
    Quote Originally Posted by Shas'aia Toriia View Post
    Cheesegear is awesome

  6. - Top - End - #1356
    Orc in the Playground
     
    RogueGuy

    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    Broomfield CO
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Warhammer 40K Tabletop Thread XXXVII: Highlighting the Contrasts

    Quote Originally Posted by Cheesegear View Post
    Back when I was in high school, we had a guy who made Nurgle Daemons using paper clips and blu-tac.
    Literally none of us were impressed.

    ...Until he bought a bunch of sculpting tools and got good at it.
    Everyone starts somewhere. Heck I still use paper clips when I pin parts of minis. I also use Blu-tac to dry fit models while they are WIPs.
    Now, Back to Lurking!
    Quote Originally Posted by The Giant
    I think I'm going to defer to his wiser judgment in this case, because I'm probably going to keep writing responses and that will only lead to me getting myself in trouble somehow.
    - I should follow this advice more often.

    Belkar's Death Countdown best guess: 28/49 days used before Belkar is gone forever more!

    Hey, its the Blog where I write! Dice Roles

  7. - Top - End - #1357
    Titan in the Playground
     
    Cheesegear's Avatar

    Join Date
    Jan 2008

    Default Re: Warhammer 40K Tabletop Thread XXXVII: Highlighting the Contrasts

    So, it's legal to create your own Chapter, right?
    But then also make another Chapter for a new Detachment?

    e.g;
    Cool Kids, Battalion: +1 Advance and Charge, Advance and Shoot without Penalties.
    Big Nerds, Spearhead: Count as being in Cover over 12" away, Vehicles count as having double wounds.

    ...Right?
    Time to start painting shoulder rims.
    Last edited by Cheesegear; 2019-08-20 at 12:03 PM.
    Steam Name: Cheesegear
    League of Legends Name: Cheesegear
    You can fight like a krogan or run like a leopard but you'll never be better than Commander Shepard.


    Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Anuan View Post
    Cheesegear; Lovable Thesaurus ItP.
    Quote Originally Posted by Lycan 01 View Post
    Cheesegear, have I told you yet that you're awesome?
    Quote Originally Posted by MeatShield#236 View Post
    ALL HAIL LORD CHEESEGEAR! Cheese for the cheesegear!
    Quote Originally Posted by Shas'aia Toriia View Post
    Cheesegear is awesome

  8. - Top - End - #1358
    Orc in the Playground
     
    RogueGuy

    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    Broomfield CO
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Warhammer 40K Tabletop Thread XXXVII: Highlighting the Contrasts

    Quote Originally Posted by Cheesegear View Post
    So, it's legal to create your own Chapter, right?
    But then also make another Chapter for a new Detachment?

    e.g;
    Cool Kids, Battalion: +1 Advance and Charge, Advance and Shoot without Penalties.
    Big Nerds, Spearhead: Count as being in Cover over 12" away, Vehicles count as having double wounds.

    ...Right?
    Time to start painting shoulder rims.
    Now, I didn't get the book because I pretty much only run BA. But does combat doctrines require the whole army to be from the same chapter or just have the whole army with the ability combat doctrines? That would be my only question on your dual multi chapter army idea.

    Edit: Maybe wait for the 2 week FAQ to come out. If they don't clarify it as not possible then, then you are good to go. Because we all know they almost never update them again.
    Last edited by Ornithologist; 2019-08-20 at 12:09 PM.
    Now, Back to Lurking!
    Quote Originally Posted by The Giant
    I think I'm going to defer to his wiser judgment in this case, because I'm probably going to keep writing responses and that will only lead to me getting myself in trouble somehow.
    - I should follow this advice more often.

    Belkar's Death Countdown best guess: 28/49 days used before Belkar is gone forever more!

    Hey, its the Blog where I write! Dice Roles

  9. - Top - End - #1359
    Troll in the Playground
     
    Turalisj's Avatar

    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    WI, USA
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Warhammer 40K Tabletop Thread XXXVII: Highlighting the Contrasts

    Just requires everyone to have combat doctrines.
    Past Avatars:
    Spoiler
    Show

    By Alterform


    Spoiler
    Show
    Lore: 7.

    Factors: 2.

    Wealth: 5

    Magic: 4

    Espionage: 4

    Reputation: 3.

    Military: 2.

    Faith: 6.



  10. - Top - End - #1360
    Titan in the Playground
     
    Cheesegear's Avatar

    Join Date
    Jan 2008

    Default Re: Warhammer 40K Tabletop Thread XXXVII: Highlighting the Contrasts

    Quote Originally Posted by Ornithologist View Post
    Now, I didn't get the book because I pretty much only run BA. But does combat doctrines require the whole army to be from the same chapter or just have the whole army with the ability combat doctrines?
    The whole army must have Combat Doctrines, for anything to have Combat Doctrines. But they're pretty lame and don't count for much. But it's moot, because everything I'm running comes out of the Codex which means I'd get Combat Doctrines anyway. If you ran three different Codex: Space Marine Chapters in the same army, you would have Combat Doctrines.

    An army with Raven Guard, Iron Hands & Ultramarines would have Combat Doctrines.
    An army with Space Wolves, Iron Hands & Ultramarines, wouldn't.

    Chapter Tactics, is what I'm talking about, and it's per Detachment, and it looks like you can create Chapter Tactics for all your Detachments as many times as you want, cherry picking the **** out of the Codex. Of course you're not supposed to do it, 'cause the game is supposed to be fun, right? But I can't see anything stopping you from breaking it if you wanted to.

    Making your entire army from a single Chapter becomes more relevant in Supplements.
    Last edited by Cheesegear; 2019-08-20 at 12:41 PM.
    Steam Name: Cheesegear
    League of Legends Name: Cheesegear
    You can fight like a krogan or run like a leopard but you'll never be better than Commander Shepard.


    Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Anuan View Post
    Cheesegear; Lovable Thesaurus ItP.
    Quote Originally Posted by Lycan 01 View Post
    Cheesegear, have I told you yet that you're awesome?
    Quote Originally Posted by MeatShield#236 View Post
    ALL HAIL LORD CHEESEGEAR! Cheese for the cheesegear!
    Quote Originally Posted by Shas'aia Toriia View Post
    Cheesegear is awesome

  11. - Top - End - #1361
    Troll in the Playground
     
    Lord Torath's Avatar

    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Location
    Sharangar's Revenge
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Warhammer 40K Tabletop Thread XXXVII: Highlighting the Contrasts

    Regarding "extra bits" in boxed sets:

    The Space Marine Devastator box comes with five marines and 12! heavy weapons. Combine that with the Tactical Squad box, and you can make 3 5-marine devastator squads with 4 heavy weapons each. Plenty of bits in the two sets to make 3 sergeants. Then you just have a bunch of extra bolters and special weapons.
    Warhammer 40,000 Campaign Skirmish Game: Warpstrike
    My Spelljammer stuff (including an orbit tracker), 2E AD&D spreadsheet, and Vault of the Drow maps are available in my Dropbox. Feel free to use or not use it as you see fit!
    Thri-Kreen Ranger/Psionicist by me, based off of Rich's A Monster for Every Season

  12. - Top - End - #1362
    Orc in the Playground
     
    RogueGuy

    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    Broomfield CO
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Warhammer 40K Tabletop Thread XXXVII: Highlighting the Contrasts

    Quote Originally Posted by Cheesegear View Post
    The whole army must have Combat Doctrines, for anything to have Combat Doctrines. But they're pretty lame and don't count for much. But it's moot, because everything I'm running comes out of the Codex which means I'd get Combat Doctrines anyway. If you ran three different Codex: Space Marine Chapters in the same army, you would have Combat Doctrines.

    An army with Raven Guard, Iron Hands & Ultramarines would have Combat Doctrines.
    An army with Space Wolves, Iron Hands & Ultramarines, wouldn't.

    Chapter Tactics, is what I'm talking about, and it's per Detachment, and it looks like you can create Chapter Tactics for all your Detachments as many times as you want, cherry picking the **** out of the Codex. Of course you're not supposed to do it, 'cause the game is supposed to be fun, right? But I can't see anything stopping you from breaking it if you wanted to.

    Making your entire army from a single Chapter becomes more relevant in Supplements.
    sounds like its good to go then. I could see them FAQing it out, but it wouldn't be the weirdest thing they ignored.

    I ran that trick with a sternguard squad box and a BA tacitcal box to get 3 pretty nice sternguard 5 man squads back in the day.
    Now, Back to Lurking!
    Quote Originally Posted by The Giant
    I think I'm going to defer to his wiser judgment in this case, because I'm probably going to keep writing responses and that will only lead to me getting myself in trouble somehow.
    - I should follow this advice more often.

    Belkar's Death Countdown best guess: 28/49 days used before Belkar is gone forever more!

    Hey, its the Blog where I write! Dice Roles

  13. - Top - End - #1363
    Titan in the Playground
     
    LeSwordfish's Avatar

    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    Cambridge, UK
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Warhammer 40K Tabletop Thread XXXVII: Highlighting the Contrasts

    Am I correct in thinking you can combine your custom chapter tactics with the relics, stratagems etc from the supplements?
    - Avatar by LCP -

  14. - Top - End - #1364
    Titan in the Playground
     
    Cheesegear's Avatar

    Join Date
    Jan 2008

    Default Re: Warhammer 40K Tabletop Thread XXXVII: Highlighting the Contrasts

    Quote Originally Posted by Lord Torath View Post
    Plenty of bits in the two sets to make 3 sergeants.
    No there isn't. You don't get the Signums.
    But, as LansXero pointed out earlier, if GW gives you too many bits, you're better off buying the rest of models from...Elsewhere.

    I've bought several Devastator legs, torsos - and yes, Signums - from...Elsewhere, and it turned out to be cheaper than buying a Tactical Squad box. IIRC the Devastator box comes with like 15 heads or something stupid.

    Quote Originally Posted by LeSwordfish View Post
    Am I correct in thinking you can combine your custom chapter tactics with the relics, stratagems etc from the supplements?
    Negative. To use the Supplements, you must have that Chapter's Tactics.
    Using Create Your Own Chapter, and picking the 'Pick a real Tactic', counts. So...Technically it's your custom Chapter.


    EDIT: It's worded incredibly badly...So I'll have to go over it better. Seems like you can.
    Last edited by Cheesegear; 2019-08-20 at 01:44 PM.
    Steam Name: Cheesegear
    League of Legends Name: Cheesegear
    You can fight like a krogan or run like a leopard but you'll never be better than Commander Shepard.


    Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Anuan View Post
    Cheesegear; Lovable Thesaurus ItP.
    Quote Originally Posted by Lycan 01 View Post
    Cheesegear, have I told you yet that you're awesome?
    Quote Originally Posted by MeatShield#236 View Post
    ALL HAIL LORD CHEESEGEAR! Cheese for the cheesegear!
    Quote Originally Posted by Shas'aia Toriia View Post
    Cheesegear is awesome

  15. - Top - End - #1365
    Troll in the Playground
     
    druid91's Avatar

    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    Lemuria
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Warhammer 40K Tabletop Thread XXXVII: Highlighting the Contrasts

    And lo. Did Games Workshop replace portions of Imperial Soup with Space Marine Soup.
    Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by AvatarZero View Post
    I like the "hobo" in there.
    "Hey, you just got 10000gp! You going to buy a fully staffed mansion or something?"
    "Nah, I'll upgrade my +2 sword to a +3 sword and sleep in my cloak."

    Non est salvatori salvator, neque defensori dominus, nec pater nec mater, nihil supernum.

    Torumekian knight Avatar by Licoot.

    Note to self: Never get involved in an ethics thread again...Especially if I'm defending the empire.

  16. - Top - End - #1366
    Ogre in the Playground
     
    LansXero's Avatar

    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    Lima, Peru
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Warhammer 40K Tabletop Thread XXXVII: Highlighting the Contrasts

    Quote Originally Posted by Cheesegear View Post
    No there isn't. You don't get the Signums.
    But, as LansXero pointed out earlier, if GW gives you too many bits, you're better off buying the rest of models from...Elsewhere.

    I've bought several Devastator legs, torsos - and yes, Signums - from...Elsewhere, and it turned out to be cheaper than buying a Tactical Squad box. IIRC the Devastator box comes with like 15 heads or something stupid.
    Well, if its just the Signum you just bluestuff that bit, its not even hard and once painted nobody will notice.

    Small detail quality will vary tremendously between recasters (and its a big no-no for 3D printers except the very high end ones) so going for the 'solid' parts (like bodies or chasis) is better. You still need to be handy with a knife though, as youll need to trim and polish joints more than with GW kits, but then, with the difference you can probably afford a pretty good knife xD.

    This is why I think its BS that Canis Rex is an evergreen item on the trade range, but Renegade isnt. The only way to justify the asinine price tag on Canis Rex is if all those extra options had extra bodies to go onto, and Renegade was a great value option for that.

  17. - Top - End - #1367
    Titan in the Playground
     
    Cheesegear's Avatar

    Join Date
    Jan 2008

    Default Re: Warhammer 40K Tabletop Thread XXXVII: Highlighting the Contrasts

    Quote Originally Posted by druid91 View Post
    And lo. Did Games Workshop replace portions of Imperial Soup with Space Marine Soup.
    Space Marine Soup was already happening (everyone is Black Templars Servitors!). Most Space Marine players are 'casuals' and not only play One Army = One Codex, but One Sub-Faction = One Army. But everyone playing Space Marines seriously has been running Astartes Soup for a while, Space Marine players have been dunking on people for ages, it's why Guilliman is 400 Points and Repulsors got nerfed. The problem is it's not 'Top 8' so no-one notices.

    EDIT: So it seems everyone wants to know if Index units are getting the Angels of Death rules... They are not. GW doesn't care about Index units, and they never will.
    Last edited by Cheesegear; 2019-08-20 at 02:08 PM.
    Steam Name: Cheesegear
    League of Legends Name: Cheesegear
    You can fight like a krogan or run like a leopard but you'll never be better than Commander Shepard.


    Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Anuan View Post
    Cheesegear; Lovable Thesaurus ItP.
    Quote Originally Posted by Lycan 01 View Post
    Cheesegear, have I told you yet that you're awesome?
    Quote Originally Posted by MeatShield#236 View Post
    ALL HAIL LORD CHEESEGEAR! Cheese for the cheesegear!
    Quote Originally Posted by Shas'aia Toriia View Post
    Cheesegear is awesome

  18. - Top - End - #1368
    Ogre in the Playground
     
    LansXero's Avatar

    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    Lima, Peru
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Warhammer 40K Tabletop Thread XXXVII: Highlighting the Contrasts

    Huh, so Scouts can deploy 9" as usual? Wasnt it changed to 'run 9" forward from deployment"? Because I just checked the FAQ and its still 'deploy 9" away'. What am I missing?

  19. - Top - End - #1369
    Titan in the Playground
     
    Cheesegear's Avatar

    Join Date
    Jan 2008

    Default Re: Warhammer 40K Tabletop Thread XXXVII: Highlighting the Contrasts

    Quote Originally Posted by LansXero View Post
    Huh, so Scouts can deploy 9" as usual? Wasnt it changed to 'run 9" forward from deployment"? Because I just checked the FAQ and its still 'deploy 9" away'. What am I missing?
    That was Strike From the Shadows.

    Scouts never had the same rule as Rangers.

    EDIT:
    Reading a question on Facebook, it seems that custom Chapter Tactics Successors can claim to be a Successor Chapter of anyone they want. However, in the rules, it says that if you're running a Chapter whose parent is Known, you must run that Chapter Tactics (We're going to ignore 'hobby oppression' and being objectively punished for subjectively liking things...For now).

    Solution? ...Don't put Chapter Badges on your models. Don't buy those 'upgrade sprues' that inflate the cost of every box. Just...Don't do it. See, I was once desperate for those Imperial Fists sprues to come out IRL, instead of in a limited edition box and then gone forever until GW decides I can have them again. But, if putting Chapter logos on my models is going to force me to play Imperial Fists, whether I want to or not...Why would I buy them? When I can just use the same models for yellow Blood Angels Lamenters, or yellow White Scars Marauders?

    As long as you're not running named Characters, play whatever you want (as long as your models don't have Chapter badges), I think is the message.

    That being said, the other implication is that all Marneus Calgars or Kor'sarro Khans must be painted blue or white respectively, and then we're back to hobby oppression where if you don't want to paint white, you're literally not allowed to play with Kor'sarro... The ****?
    Last edited by Cheesegear; 2019-08-20 at 09:36 PM.
    Steam Name: Cheesegear
    League of Legends Name: Cheesegear
    You can fight like a krogan or run like a leopard but you'll never be better than Commander Shepard.


    Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Anuan View Post
    Cheesegear; Lovable Thesaurus ItP.
    Quote Originally Posted by Lycan 01 View Post
    Cheesegear, have I told you yet that you're awesome?
    Quote Originally Posted by MeatShield#236 View Post
    ALL HAIL LORD CHEESEGEAR! Cheese for the cheesegear!
    Quote Originally Posted by Shas'aia Toriia View Post
    Cheesegear is awesome

  20. - Top - End - #1370
    Firbolg in the Playground
     
    Gwyn chan 'r Gwyll's Avatar

    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Location
    Das Kapital

    Default Re: Warhammer 40K Tabletop Thread XXXVII: Highlighting the Contrasts

    Letís be real, anyone who insists on stuff like that isnít worth your time to play with.
    Steampunk GwynSkull by DR. BATH

    "Live to the point of tears"
    - Albert Camus


    Quote Originally Posted by Wyntonian View Post
    What. Is. This. Madness.

  21. - Top - End - #1371
    Titan in the Playground
     
    Mystic Muse's Avatar

    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Blessed Perfection
    Gender
    Female

    Default Re: Warhammer 40K Tabletop Thread XXXVII: Highlighting the Contrasts

    I'm painting all my marines a custom color scheme, because I don't have the money OR space for multiple armies of Space marines.

    Plus, it makes things more unique.
    Last edited by Mystic Muse; 2019-08-20 at 10:36 PM.
    Mystic Unity by DirtyTabs



    Quote Originally Posted by Cobra Ikari
    ...yeah, I'm basically gonna use you as my example to explain how White, as a color of magic, can represent pure evil. =P
    My extended Homebrew Signature
    My Monster Classes. Taking requests! Come give it a look.

  22. - Top - End - #1372
    Bugbear in the Playground
     
    NecromancerGuy

    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    Durham, UK
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Warhammer 40K Tabletop Thread XXXVII: Highlighting the Contrasts

    Quote Originally Posted by Gwyn chan 'r Gwyll View Post
    Letís be real, anyone who insists on stuff like that isnít worth your time to play with.
    This. The approach to deciding which chapter tactics to use with your army should be up to the player. For me, having the Ďbestí tactics is a secondary consideration, so I am happy to use the tactis Ďas intendedí; my Ultramarinesuse Ultramarine tactics, if I want another chapter Iíll paint them up in whatever it is I want.

    But thatís my choice for my own collection, and largely governed by my collection being relatively small: I donít have many 1000s of points all painted the same way, instead I organise on detachments. I have an Ultramarines detachment, but if I decide to paint up a load of vehicles as a support detachment theyíll probably be a different chapter. But if you have a collection built over years, all of the same chapter, you should be able to use whichever tactics you want.
    Evil round every corner, careful not to step in any.

  23. - Top - End - #1373
    Titan in the Playground
     
    Cheesegear's Avatar

    Join Date
    Jan 2008

    Default Re: Warhammer 40K Tabletop Thread XXXVII: Highlighting the Contrasts

    Quote Originally Posted by Gwyn chan 'r Gwyll View Post
    Letís be real, anyone who insists on stuff like that isnít worth your time to play with.
    What's worse, that GW made it RAW in the first place, or someone enforcing it because it is RAW?

    Quote Originally Posted by Avaris View Post
    But if you have a collection built over years, all of the same chapter, you should be able to use whichever tactics you want.
    As I've said, the easiest way to represent it if you're definitely not willing to strip and re-paint all your models is to use the shoulder rims to represent Company markings.
    Steam Name: Cheesegear
    League of Legends Name: Cheesegear
    You can fight like a krogan or run like a leopard but you'll never be better than Commander Shepard.


    Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Anuan View Post
    Cheesegear; Lovable Thesaurus ItP.
    Quote Originally Posted by Lycan 01 View Post
    Cheesegear, have I told you yet that you're awesome?
    Quote Originally Posted by MeatShield#236 View Post
    ALL HAIL LORD CHEESEGEAR! Cheese for the cheesegear!
    Quote Originally Posted by Shas'aia Toriia View Post
    Cheesegear is awesome

  24. - Top - End - #1374
    Ogre in the Playground
     
    LansXero's Avatar

    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    Lima, Peru
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Warhammer 40K Tabletop Thread XXXVII: Highlighting the Contrasts

    Is there anything keeping you from putting a Knight in a teleportarium with the Lucius stratagem?

  25. - Top - End - #1375
    Titan in the Playground
     
    Cheesegear's Avatar

    Join Date
    Jan 2008

    Default Re: Warhammer 40K Tabletop Thread XXXVII: Highlighting the Contrasts

    Quote Originally Posted by LansXero View Post
    Is there anything keeping you from putting a Knight in a teleportarium with the Lucius stratagem?
    "You can set up a <Lucius> unit from your army in a teleportarium chamber..."

    Dunno. The wording is ambiguous.
    Steam Name: Cheesegear
    League of Legends Name: Cheesegear
    You can fight like a krogan or run like a leopard but you'll never be better than Commander Shepard.


    Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Anuan View Post
    Cheesegear; Lovable Thesaurus ItP.
    Quote Originally Posted by Lycan 01 View Post
    Cheesegear, have I told you yet that you're awesome?
    Quote Originally Posted by MeatShield#236 View Post
    ALL HAIL LORD CHEESEGEAR! Cheese for the cheesegear!
    Quote Originally Posted by Shas'aia Toriia View Post
    Cheesegear is awesome

  26. - Top - End - #1376
    Bugbear in the Playground
     
    NecromancerGuy

    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    Durham, UK
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Warhammer 40K Tabletop Thread XXXVII: Highlighting the Contrasts

    Quote Originally Posted by LansXero View Post
    Is there anything keeping you from putting a Knight in a teleportarium with the Lucius stratagem?
    They canít get the required Lucius keyword, as they donít (I think) have a <Forge World> space in their list of key words? And you canít just give them the keyword as their <HouseHold> either, just as you canít call a guard regiment <Ultramarines> to use their stratagems.

    Edit: unsure if the Ad Mech codex has rules for knights in: those ones might have <Forge World> but lose out on everything else Knights get
    Last edited by Avaris; 2019-08-21 at 02:46 AM.
    Evil round every corner, careful not to step in any.

  27. - Top - End - #1377
    Ogre in the Playground
     
    LansXero's Avatar

    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    Lima, Peru
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Warhammer 40K Tabletop Thread XXXVII: Highlighting the Contrasts

    Quote Originally Posted by Cheesegear View Post
    "You can set up a <Lucius> unit from your army in a teleportarium chamber..."

    Dunno. The wording is ambiguous.
    Dont be a smartass, it is in spanish. Thanks though, saves me the trouble of hitting VK for the english version.

  28. - Top - End - #1378
    Titan in the Playground
     
    Cheesegear's Avatar

    Join Date
    Jan 2008

    Default Re: Warhammer 40K Tabletop Thread XXXVII: Highlighting the Contrasts

    Quote Originally Posted by LansXero View Post
    Dont be a smartass, it is in spanish.
    Is someone in your shop exploiting the fact that the Spanish is poorly worded and thus using it to teleport Mechanicus Knights?
    Steam Name: Cheesegear
    League of Legends Name: Cheesegear
    You can fight like a krogan or run like a leopard but you'll never be better than Commander Shepard.


    Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Anuan View Post
    Cheesegear; Lovable Thesaurus ItP.
    Quote Originally Posted by Lycan 01 View Post
    Cheesegear, have I told you yet that you're awesome?
    Quote Originally Posted by MeatShield#236 View Post
    ALL HAIL LORD CHEESEGEAR! Cheese for the cheesegear!
    Quote Originally Posted by Shas'aia Toriia View Post
    Cheesegear is awesome

  29. - Top - End - #1379
    Ettin in the Playground
     
    Wraith's Avatar

    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    England
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Warhammer 40K Tabletop Thread XXXVII: Highlighting the Contrasts

    I'm curious - can you translate more or less what the Spanish version says for us, please? While I appreciate that nuances can be different from region to region, if the language actually changes the rule then I'll be quite amazed that international tournaments aren't more argumentative.

    I know English-speaking tournaments insist on English-language books, but I'd have thought we'd have heard more stories about people turning up and going, "What, what? That's not what *my* books says!"
    You don't know what it was like.
    You weren't there.
    You never fought in the Console Wars.

  30. - Top - End - #1380
    Ogre in the Playground
     
    OldWizardGuy

    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Location
    Australia

    Default Re: Warhammer 40K Tabletop Thread XXXVII: Highlighting the Contrasts

    Quote Originally Posted by Wraith View Post
    I'm curious - can you translate more or less what the Spanish version says for us, please? While I appreciate that nuances can be different from region to region, if the language actually changes the rule then I'll be quite amazed that international tournaments aren't more argumentative.

    I know English-speaking tournaments insist on English-language books, but I'd have thought we'd have heard more stories about people turning up and going, "What, what? That's not what *my* books says!"
    IIRC, the non-english codecies have been pretty lacklustre for accuracy from inception (some of the english ones too for that matter). I seem to recall some of the german ones being pretty bad some years back in ... early 6th where the exact same argument you posit broke out at some international thing.

    I also seem to remember that a general rule of thumb is that the english book is always right and anything else just gets errata'ed as it gets found.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •