Results 1 to 16 of 16
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Halfling in the Playground
     
    GreataxeFighterGuy

    Join Date
    Dec 2018

    Default Interstellar Investigators! [CLOSED]

    Hi Playground!

    I'm running a series of adventures (campaign) for players looking for a combination of Space Opera & Law Enforcement:

    The year is 2519. Humanity has expanded across the solar system to colonize other planets. Over centuries of exploration, extraterrestrial species have been discovered, some friendly, some hostile. Interstellar treaties have been established which triggered an amazing jump in human technological advancement. As humans began migrating beyond Earth, with them came all the dreams, hopes, and pioneering spirit of the species.

    So too, came Crime.

    Both inner- and outer-system colonies had a small contingent of law-enforcement officials to maintain the peace or investigate lawlessness. But as a colony spread across a new homeworld, the creeping vestiges of organized crime grew. Over the last century even cordial extraterrestrials were indoctrinated as interplanetary police to assist with non-terrain villany.

    Emerging from this corps, the Department of Galactic Security was initiated. Their ranks are occupied by the finest investigative minds from across the void. Their mission: to uphold and enforce interplanetary law as mandated by interstellar treaties.

    YOU are the D.O.G.S. agents assigned to Sector Alpha-13; Olympia, an Earth-like planet, is peopled by two diverse communities; a class of super-rich elites indulging in intergalactic trade on one side of the planet, and Bacchanal indulgence on the other side. The elites level of wealth makes them (nearly) above the law and they know how to punish those who oppose them.

    The other class are the workers that carry out Olympia's industrial whims. Office people, maids, butlers, drivers, janitors, maintenance, programmers. All the invisible people that form the silent foundation of Mega-Corps. These people are relegated to a life on either of Olympia's two moons. A life not unlike middle-class Earth, with all the usual trappings.

    But even in paradise, calamity raises its head. The personal shuttle of one Tiberius Whitfield, an elite-level administrator for a powerful Mega-Corp, crashed just outside Olympia City. Two suspects have been detained, but Tiberius wasn't found! Foul-play could be in the air and as the local Olympian police force initiates their investigation, an unexpected dispatch from Earth pushes your unit into the investigation.

    Now, with jurisdictional power that may only problem your mission, your team must uncover the truth surrounding Whitfield's demise. Can, you, pushed to the lifts of your professional expertise and technological succor, solve a puzzle that unresolved - could lead to a murderer going free?


    There's still a lot missing here in terms of exact technology and PC type. We can work that out as you build characters. I'm expecting interested players to contribute to what this adventure, & eventual campaign, will be for us. All ideas will be considered, no matter how wild (remember I typed this).

    If you're unfamiliar with GURPS, post a detailed character concept and myself + possibly other players can help you work your build.

    Spoiler: Sweet 16
    Show

    1. What game system are you running (D&D, Call of Cthulu, Palladium, GURPS, etc.), and if applicable what edition (Original, Classic, Revised, 1st, 2nd, 3rd, 5th, 10th, etc.)? GURPS 4E

    2. What 'type' or variant of game will it be (i.e. "Shadow Chasers" or "Agents of Psi" for d20 Modern)? What is the setting for the game (eg. historic period, published or homebrewed campaign setting, alternate reality, modern world, etc.)? Interstellar Law-Enforcement agents

    3. How many Players are you looking for? Will you be taking alternates, and if so, how many? 1-4

    4. What's the gaming medium (OOTS, chat, e-mail etc.)? This forum

    5. What is the characters' starting status (i.e. experience level)? 150-point law enforcement officials (pseudo-FBI agents with high-levels of investigative skill, possibly specialized in one area or another.

    Investigation Tactics

    6. How much gold or other starting funds will the characters begin with? Up to PC design, but think "Comfortable"

    7. Are there any particular character classes, professions, orders, etc. that you want... or do not want? What are your rules on 'prestige' and/or homebrewed classes?Law Enforcement professionals

    8. What races, subraces, species, etc. are allowed for your game? Will you allow homebrewed races or species? 'Prestige' races or species?We'll work out 5-6 Alien race during recruitment, but I have the basics of;
    • The Grays; a slender, tall species with a level of technology resembling "magic"
    • Shurri, a rock-like species of humanoids with great physical power but zero concept of human emotion
    • T'hari; a telepathic species who can shift their form based on a target's thoughts
    • Shuritaul; an insectoid-avian hybrid species dedicated to universal peace
    • Durdru' Har' wot; an octopoid species claiming primacy to Earth's fish population who look to dominate the Galaxy via force and intimidation

    Please suggest others

    9. By what method should Players generate their attributes/ability scores and Hit Points?150 points (skills are always key)

    10. Does your game use alignment? What are your restrictions, if so?The PCs should be good people determined to uphold interstellar law, BUT, they can have "less than agreeable" personalities

    11. Do you allow multi-classing, or have any particular rules in regards to it?N/A

    12. Will you be doing all of the die rolling during the course of the game? Will die rolls be altered, or left to the honor system? If players can make die rolls, which ones do they make, how should they make the rolls, and how should they report them?Players make their own rolls. During combat, the PCs will always have initiative, unless the group is surprised

    13. Are there any homebrewed or optional/variant rules that your Players should know about? If so, list and explain them, or provide relevant links to learn about these new rules.WIP

    14. Is a character background required? If so, how big? Are you looking for anything in particular (i.e. the backgrounds all ending up with the characters in the same city)?PCs with a heavy background in law enforcement success on Earth or whatever homeworld works. These PCS need to be better than the normal cop in terms of capability. The actual history can be as short or long as you like, but shorter means less sub-plot

    15. Does your game involve a lot of hack & slash, puzzle solving, roleplaying, or a combination of the above?Investigation and NPC interaction is tantamount. The PCs should be able to "finesse" most people in order to get the information they want. A level of expertise with HTH or a weapon will also be required

    16. Are your Players restricted to particular rulebooks and supplements, or will you be allowing access to non-standard material? What sources can Players use for their characters? This will include 4e & 3e books;
    • GURPS 4e Core
    • GURPS Hi-Tech
    • GURPS Psionics
    • GURPS Space
    • GURPS Heroes
    • GURPS Exploits
    • GURPS Specialists
    • GURPS Cops
    • GURPS Covert Ops
    • GURPS Cyberpunk
    • GURPS Espionage
    • GURPS Gun-Fu
    • GURPS Lensman
    • GURPS Martial Arts
    • GURPS Psionics
    • GURPS Robots
    • GURPS Social Engineering: Pulling Rank
    • GURPS Spaceships
    • GURPS Time Travel
    • GURPS Vehicles


    I do not do templates. You need to build from the ground up, informed by the setting. Thus, this recruitment period will last until 6/17/19, or when we have 3-4 completed PC sheets. Due to alien species and psionics, I have little idea what your characters will look like.

    I can help with your character concept if you get stuck, and you can help me with the setting based on what kind of character you have in mind.
    Last edited by Vorpal Glaive; 2019-05-23 at 08:59 PM.

  2. - Top - End - #2
    Firbolg in the Playground
     
    Morcleon's Avatar

    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    Floating in the void

    Default Re: Interstellar Investigators! [GURPS 3/4e]

    Interesting... a few questions before I start brainstorming character ideas:

    1. What's the fabric of hyperspace like? Is it more like Star Trek, where if you have a warp drive, you can go anywhere at superluminal speeds? Is it like Star Wars where there are safe lanes that have been cleared but you can go elsewhere if you want to risk hazards? Is it like Freelancer where there are primary Jump Gates in each system leading to others like a network of highways, but also intermittently operating Jump Holes for the less savory folk out there?
    2. How utopian/dystopian is the interstellar society? On a scale of "Star Trek's Federation at its best and brightest" to "1984 but in space", let's say.
    3. Do strong AIs exist? If so, what's their role in society?
    4. Are there any galactic superpowers that are head and shoulders above the other civilizations in terms of technology/power? Something on the scale of, say, modern day Earth vs medieval Earth.
    5. What tech level will we be starting at? (I saw TL 13 in the initial thread but I'd like to confirm if that's still the case.)
    6. Jumping off #3, might I request the use of GURPS Ultra-Tech? It contains items that are for TLs 9-12 and above.
    7. How should we handle some of the abilities given by race, especially since some of them may have particularly high point costs? (For example, the T'hari's telepathy and shapeshifting seems like it would be quite a high cost)
    8. Do we get our own starships and do we get to customize them?
    Avatar of Furude Setsuna, by Telasi.
    Quote Originally Posted by Mephit View Post
    Don't worry, I like my characters the way I like my coffee: Strong, but with no cheese in it.
    Quote Originally Posted by Akagi
    Don't hesitate to tell the people you care about the feelings you have for them, because they may not be there tomorrow.

  3. - Top - End - #3
    Ettin in the Playground
     
    Miltonian's Avatar

    Join Date
    Jan 2016
    Location
    Brinstar Depths
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Interstellar Investigators! [GURPS 3/4e]

    Nice! I like GURPS. I'm sure I can work something up.

  4. - Top - End - #4
    Ettin in the Playground
     
    RossN's Avatar

    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Interstellar Investigators! [GURPS 3/4e]

    In obviously, and thanks again for setting this up.

    I like the sound of the T'hari but I'll need more info in seeing how their abilities work. Is the form shift not entirely under their control, like the GELFs from Red Dwarf?

  5. - Top - End - #5
    Halfling in the Playground
     
    GreataxeFighterGuy

    Join Date
    Dec 2018

    Default Re: Interstellar Investigators! [GURPS 3/4e]

    Quote Originally Posted by Morcleon View Post
    Interesting... a few questions before I start brainstorming character ideas:

    1. What's the fabric of hyperspace like? Is it more like Star Trek, where if you have a warp drive, you can go anywhere at superluminal speeds? Is it like Star Wars where there are safe lanes that have been cleared but you can go elsewhere if you want to risk hazards? Is it like Freelancer where there are primary Jump Gates in each system leading to others like a network of highways, but also intermittently operating Jump Holes for the less savory folk out there?
    I like the Star Wars option, but I'm open to alternate ideas that either make more sense or are more fun.
    Quote Originally Posted by Morcleon View Post
    2. How utopian/dystopian is the interstellar society? On a scale of "Star Trek's Federation at its best and brightest" to "1984 but in space", let's say.
    More like Star Trek; mostly civil but everyone isn't friendly.
    Quote Originally Posted by Morcleon View Post
    3. Do strong AIs exist? If so, what's their role in society?
    A.I. has advanced to the level of being recognized as a new life-form. Think The Matrix. The role they play is expansive and we can discuss it more as a group.
    Quote Originally Posted by Morcleon View Post
    4. Are there any galactic superpowers that are head and shoulders above the other civilizations in terms of technology/power? Something on the scale of, say, modern day Earth vs medieval Earth.
    It's pretty level with some races more advanced in certain areas. No one species can dominate all the others. Yet.
    Quote Originally Posted by Morcleon View Post
    5. What tech level will we be starting at? (I saw TL 13 in the initial thread but I'd like to confirm if that's still the case.)
    TL13.
    Quote Originally Posted by Morcleon View Post
    6. Jumping off #3, might I request the use of GURPS Ultra-Tech? It contains items that are for TLs 9-12 and above.
    Sure. I forgot to add that one.
    Quote Originally Posted by Morcleon View Post
    7. How should we handle some of the abilities given by race, especially since some of them may have particularly high point costs? (For example, the T'hari's telepathy and shapeshifting seems like it would be quite a high cost)
    I'm dialing that species back to being shape-shifting EMPATHS (they can sense emotion). Their transformations are a reaction to emotional contact. But, I'm open to others' ideas on this and other races.
    Quote Originally Posted by Morcleon View Post
    8. Do we get our own starships and do we get to customize them?
    Yes & yes.

    Quote Originally Posted by Miltonian View Post
    Nice! I like GURPS. I'm sure I can work something up.
    Glad to have you.

    Quote Originally Posted by RossN View Post
    In obviously, and thanks again for setting this up.
    I like the sound of the T'hari but I'll need more info in seeing how their abilities work. Is the form shift not entirely under their control, like the GELFs from Red Dwarf?
    My pleasure. Touched on that race above.

  6. - Top - End - #6
    Dwarf in the Playground
     
    Wuff's Avatar

    Join Date
    Oct 2018

    Default Re: Interstellar Investigators! [GURPS 3/4e]

    I'll have to look up some of my options before I post a sheet, and I'd rather not start on creating a character that will outclass another character at what they do or be made useless by another. I also don't wanna go heavy into the details and background until I've picked.

    Some ideas I have in mind:

    Shuritaul Peacekeeper (Assassin/Scout)
    A lot of the fun regarding playing and playing with this character relies on secrecy both ICly and OOCly. This is perhaps one of my favourite ideas though, with a lot of sub-plot and hidden plot to play around with.


    Human Luddite (Mage)
    Despite being someone who rejects technology apart from basic word processors and databases, after securing a variety of Gray technology and "forgetting" to surrender it as evidence, there was a lot of re-thinking, and a lot of experimenting.

    Rejects the use of a lot of technology but has become somewhat of a self-taught expert and tinkerer, somewhat a self-dubbed "practitioner" of "Gray-Magick" in private, mostly.

    This gray technology is used as an investigative aid when possible.



    Durdru' Har' wot/Human Overlord/Commander (Leader)
    A figure used to commanding others, with expertise in building morale for others and all the skills needed in running an effective and cohesive team.

    On top of this, this character has a significant amount of prestige and status within wider society, having received multiple rewards and high-society acknowledgements from all sorts of people.

    Mostly relies on using social clout in order to get their way and effective assignments.

  7. - Top - End - #7
    Orc in the Playground
    Join Date
    Aug 2018

    Default Re: Interstellar Investigators! [GURPS 3/4e]

    since ai has advanced to the point of being a recognized life form does that mean that an android character might be viable as a PC?

  8. - Top - End - #8
    Ettin in the Playground
     
    RossN's Avatar

    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Interstellar Investigators! [GURPS 3/4e]

    I have a few ideas I'm toying around with too.

    Agent Lunlith

    A T'hari officer with a brilliant deductive mind but who has difficulty controlling his (or her - what's gender to a shapeshifter?) control over their powers after lasting trauma left over from a near death experience. Lunlith is sardonic and deadpan and tends to be more comfortable around robots, clues or corpses than living breathing sentients, mostly because feeling their emotions tends to result an awkward physical shift...

    I'm thinking Lunlith could work as the group medical examiner, though it would be fun to have him/her out on the beat too. I'll probably need a bit of help building this character since I only have the basic book (and GURPS Mystery.)

    Agent Denlan Ubrian-B

    Denlan was a young, highly promising Agent from Earth. Highly intelligent and charming he was a touch arrogant and naive about serving on the 'wild frontier'. Unfortunately his highly promising career was cut short during a complex undercover investigation of a crime syndicate. Fortunately Denlan's family were very prestigious and well to do and had been paying for cloning and braintapping.

    Denlan-B woke up in a cloning tank. That wasn't a surprise - he'd regularly had his brain scanned to be downloaded into a clone should the worst happen. What was a surprise was that even though he scanned himself monthly all the stored memories from the last six months had vanished and he had no idea what happened while he was undercover. Effectively he woke up as an old copy. The techs say it was a freak computer glitch...


    Denlan is basically Dr. Bashir from Deep Space Nine if he was a space FBI man. Obviously his backstory only really works if braintapping and cloning exist and or legal.

  9. - Top - End - #9
    Halfling in the Playground
     
    GreataxeFighterGuy

    Join Date
    Dec 2018

    Default Re: Interstellar Investigators! [GURPS 3/4e]

    Quote Originally Posted by Wuff View Post
    I'll have to look up some of my options before I post a sheet, and I'd rather not start on creating a character that will outclass another character at what they do or be made useless by another. I also don't wanna go heavy into the details and background until I've picked.

    Some ideas I have in mind:

    Shuritaul Peacekeeper (Assassin/Scout)
    A lot of the fun regarding playing and playing with this character relies on secrecy both ICly and OOCly. This is perhaps one of my favourite ideas though, with a lot of sub-plot and hidden plot to play around with.


    Human Luddite (Mage)
    Despite being someone who rejects technology apart from basic word processors and databases, after securing a variety of Gray technology and "forgetting" to surrender it as evidence, there was a lot of re-thinking, and a lot of experimenting.

    Rejects the use of a lot of technology but has become somewhat of a self-taught expert and tinkerer, somewhat a self-dubbed "practitioner" of "Gray-Magick" in private, mostly.

    This gray technology is used as an investigative aid when possible.



    Durdru' Har' wot/Human Overlord/Commander (Leader)
    A figure used to commanding others, with expertise in building morale for others and all the skills needed in running an effective and cohesive team.

    On top of this, this character has a significant amount of prestige and status within wider society, having received multiple rewards and high-society acknowledgements from all sorts of people.

    Mostly relies on using social clout in order to get their way and effective assignments.
    We need to be on the same page here: this is a team of law-enforcement agents with exceptional investigative/psychological skills. Mages & Assassins wont work (GURPS Magic isn't on the list). And why would someone with high levels of prestige stoop to becoming a law-enforcement agent? There's zero glamour about the job other than an award and a possible pay-raise. This is "Space FBI". There could be "phaser fights", HTH combat, and a little Psionics, but the key here is crime-scene investigation & analysis, social interaction, interrogation (subtle & overt) and the players putting all the pieces together to solve the mystery.

    More "CSI: Space" than "Star Wars".

    Quote Originally Posted by ninjabot View Post
    since ai has advanced to the point of being a recognized life form does that mean that an android character might be viable as a PC?
    Sure, if you can make the points work.

    Quote Originally Posted by RossN View Post
    I have a few ideas I'm toying around with too.

    Agent Lunlith

    A T'hari officer with a brilliant deductive mind but who has difficulty controlling his (or her - what's gender to a shapeshifter?) control over their powers after lasting trauma left over from a near death experience. Lunlith is sardonic and deadpan and tends to be more comfortable around robots, clues or corpses than living breathing sentients, mostly because feeling their emotions tends to result an awkward physical shift...

    I'm thinking Lunlith could work as the group medical examiner, though it would be fun to have him/her out on the beat too. I'll probably need a bit of help building this character since I only have the basic book (and GURPS Mystery.)

    Agent Denlan Ubrian-B

    Denlan was a young, highly promising Agent from Earth. Highly intelligent and charming he was a touch arrogant and naive about serving on the 'wild frontier'. Unfortunately his highly promising career was cut short during a complex undercover investigation of a crime syndicate. Fortunately Denlan's family were very prestigious and well to do and had been paying for cloning and braintapping.

    Denlan-B woke up in a cloning tank. That wasn't a surprise - he'd regularly had his brain scanned to be downloaded into a clone should the worst happen. What was a surprise was that even though he scanned himself monthly all the stored memories from the last six months had vanished and he had no idea what happened while he was undercover. Effectively he woke up as an old copy. The techs say it was a freak computer glitch...


    Denlan is basically Dr. Bashir from Deep Space Nine if he was a space FBI man. Obviously his backstory only really works if braintapping and cloning exist and or legal.
    Denlan works best. I can build story elements around that. Cloning & Brain-tapping fit the setting easily.

  10. - Top - End - #10
    Dwarf in the Playground
     
    Wuff's Avatar

    Join Date
    Oct 2018

    Default Re: Interstellar Investigators! [GURPS 3/4e]

    Quote Originally Posted by Vorpal Glaive View Post
    We need to be on the same page here: this is a team of law-enforcement agents with exceptional investigative/psychological skills. Mages & Assassins wont work (GURPS Magic isn't on the list). And why would someone with high levels of prestige stoop to becoming a law-enforcement agent? There's zero glamour about the job other than an award and a possible pay-raise. This is "Space FBI". There could be "phaser fights", HTH combat, and a little Psionics, but the key here is crime-scene investigation & analysis, social interaction, interrogation (subtle & overt) and the players putting all the pieces together to solve the mystery.

    More "CSI: Space" than "Star Wars".
    Assassin/Scout and Mage was my attempt to try and classify characters into roughly understandable tradtional RPG trope/archetypes and their roles. Not literal interpretations of what the characters are. I assumed that would be understood, I'm not sure why.

    Gurps magic isn't on the list, but Gray technology being like magic was what the focus of that particular character was on, which is, I'd argue, made relatively clear.

    "ranks are occupied by the finest investigative minds from across the void", "law enforcement officials (pseudo-FBI agents with high-levels of investigative skill(...)"

    "PCs with a heavy background in law enforcement success on Earth or whatever homeworld works."



    Interest lessened considerably... ??? I'm not being funny, just not sure whether I've misunderstood you, or you've misunderstood me... I thought I had a fair grasp of what the concept was.

  11. - Top - End - #11
    Halfling in the Playground
     
    GreataxeFighterGuy

    Join Date
    Dec 2018

    Default Re: Interstellar Investigators! [GURPS 3/4e]

    Quote Originally Posted by Wuff View Post
    Assassin/Scout and Mage was my attempt to try and classify characters into roughly understandable tradtional RPG trope/archetypes and their roles. Not literal interpretations of what the characters are. I assumed that would be understood, I'm not sure why.
    I responded to what you present. That alone. Please don't assume any further than that. Assumption & I do not mix. I prefer we ask questions of each other. Internet conversation is tradionally "cold" - people can sometimes take more from a comment than what's there. Don't.

    Quote Originally Posted by Wuff View Post
    Gurps magic isn't on the list, but Gray technology being like magic was what the focus of that particular character was on, which is, I'd argue, made relatively clear.
    I would be hesitant to a PC with a cache of Gray technology, given these are Earth-sponsored investigators relying on personal skill rather than tech. For this, tech is part of the setting but not the full story. The story is social interaction.

    Quote Originally Posted by Wuff View Post
    "ranks are occupied by the finest investigative minds from across the void", "law enforcement officials (pseudo-FBI agents with high-levels of investigative skill(...)"

    "PCs with a heavy background in law enforcement success on Earth or whatever homeworld works."
    Right. But the impetus is investigation. I'm looking for SKILLED investigators rather than detectives who use magic or tech to do the work for them. This comes from what the OP requested as well.


    Quote Originally Posted by Wuff View Post
    Interest lessened considerably... ??? I'm not being funny, just not sure whether I've misunderstood you, or you've misunderstood me... I thought I had a fair grasp of what the concept was.
    My post were as clear as someone could post with a setting that is not perfectly fleshed-out. Everything is still open to player input. What I don't want? Characters optimized to be so exceptional that being a D.O.G.S. agent makes no sense.

    D.O.G.S. are very good cops - Space FBI. Based on what the OP wants, the investigators are capable but not hyper-capable.

    You can fail. You can be disappointed. You have limitations. You can look back across your life and see where you could've been rather than where you are. These aren't, as I understand the OP's request, superheroes.

    These are normal people, with exceptional skill, who strive to be heroes, rather than superheroes.

    I do not think you missed the mark - I think I didn't define what's expected properly. Sorry.
    Last edited by Vorpal Glaive; 2019-05-18 at 07:59 PM.

  12. - Top - End - #12
    Bugbear in the Playground
     
    Bowerbird's Avatar

    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Australia
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Interstellar Investigators! [GURPS 3/4e]

    I haven't looked at GURPS in literally years, yet this tempts me to dig up some books and build a character. I kind of want to try and build a Gray Alien cop, whose convinced there's some kind of human-led conspiracy to run things from the shadows. Basically Mulder from the X-Files, but actually an alien. I'll have to see if I can relearn the system and find time to build a character.
    Quote Originally Posted by Who
    Loving that fluff, loving it so much. If that fluff was a person I'd marry it.
    Helped provide Homebrew for lowlevelowl's Desecrated Campaign Setting.

  13. - Top - End - #13
    Bugbear in the Playground
     
    Kaworu's Avatar

    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Location
    Kowary, Poland
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Interstellar Investigators! [GURPS 3/4e]

    I'm interested :D I think of a rat-like alien IT specialist, maybe a self-aware computer program? But I see at least one person was interested playing AI, so maybe the rat would be better?
    LGBTitP, Furry 🐾, European 🇪🇺 & Schizophreniac ♿, possibly a Weirdo 😜
    Fursona by Sirodbcollie from Twitter
    My long singature

  14. - Top - End - #14
    Firbolg in the Playground
     
    Morcleon's Avatar

    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    Floating in the void

    Default Re: Interstellar Investigators! [GURPS 3/4e]

    My current character concept is that of the techie. Inspired by Merlin (Kingsman), Shuvi (Black Panther), and Anakin (Star Wars, pre-baby murdering).

    Quote Originally Posted by Vorpal Glaive View Post
    I like the Star Wars option, but I'm open to alternate ideas that either make more sense or are more fun.
    I do like this one because it allows for "trade lanes" to be a thing that are both recognized and safe travel for most, as well as being able to be patrolled and attacked by pirates. Additionally, it's far less obvious for secret trade lanes existing (like a naturally forming one that's been used for piracy or top secret military stuff).

    Quote Originally Posted by Vorpal Glaive View Post
    A.I. has advanced to the level of being recognized as a new life-form. Think The Matrix. The role they play is expansive and we can discuss it more as a group.
    Would the concept of ship AIs work with them being considered sophonts in and of themselves?

    Quote Originally Posted by Vorpal Glaive View Post
    I'm dialing that species back to being shape-shifting EMPATHS (they can sense emotion). Their transformations are a reaction to emotional contact. But, I'm open to others' ideas on this and other races.
    Gotcha. How exactly does that part work? Do they shift into forms based off what they think makes others feel better? How would they react to multiple people at once?
    Last edited by Morcleon; 2019-05-19 at 09:25 PM.
    Avatar of Furude Setsuna, by Telasi.
    Quote Originally Posted by Mephit View Post
    Don't worry, I like my characters the way I like my coffee: Strong, but with no cheese in it.
    Quote Originally Posted by Akagi
    Don't hesitate to tell the people you care about the feelings you have for them, because they may not be there tomorrow.

  15. - Top - End - #15
    Ettin in the Playground
     
    Miltonian's Avatar

    Join Date
    Jan 2016
    Location
    Brinstar Depths
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Interstellar Investigators! [GURPS 3/4e]

    Alright! So I suppose it's time to present my idea.

    Scraps

    Dogs have always been man's best friend, and centuries have not changed that. The canines of today, however, are a little different than they used to be. Genetic enhancement and implants allow them to be specialized beyond what simple breeding allows. The current line used by D.O.G.S. is based off the old German Shepherd breed. They are the ultimate police dogs, able to track, detect lies by listening to heartbeats, assist in public relations, and even manipulate objects with a robotic limb grafted onto the tail.

    They're also great with kids.

  16. - Top - End - #16
    Firbolg in the Playground
     
    Morcleon's Avatar

    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    Floating in the void

    Default Re: Interstellar Investigators! [GURPS 3/4e]

    Concept: T'kali Bentus. T'hari mechanic, techie, and pilot. Suffers from a bit of social anxiety, is running away from an overly controlling Harbor Ship clan (see below).
    Inspirations: Merlin (Kingsman), Shuri (MCU), Anakin Skywalker (Star Wars, pre-baby murdering)

    Proposals (on T'hari):
    1. As a race that has natural and ubiquitous shapeshifting, putting stock in physical appearance is less of a thing within their culture. Therefore, it would make sense that there is much more emphasis placed on emotional connections made after birth. This would seem to manifest itself in a number of differences from IRL modern human society, mostly in the de-emphasis of family as a natural unit (at least not to the extent that IRL human society has it) and in the importance of truthtelling (a race of empaths makes lying typically not a thing that works well).
    2. Due to cultural osmosis from other races, it's likely that there's been a cultural schism within the T'hari for some as of yet undecided factor, creating a group that I'd like to call the Unbound. These T'hari are almost entirely spacefaring, plying the starlanes in massive Harbor Ships that trade and explore. Over the years and due to the hopeful peace that has been brokered, relations between the Unbound and the Starbound are fairly good, with a touch of friendly rivalry.
    3. T'hari given names are formatted as [consonant][apostrophe][core name], with the rules of consonants currently undecided.

    More questions:
    1. After actually reading through the starship books, turns out that they're incredibly expensive (one of the smallest hyperdrives costs over a million credits). Will we get any extra money specifically for ships, or will those be provided/able to be modded/etc?
    2. Just to confirm, superscience is available, right?
    3. As a pseudo-follow-up to #1 and #2, are we using the normal starting wealth of $100,000?
    4. What are the cultural reactions and attitudes towards cybernetics and such?
    5. Are Wildcard skills allowed? Or should we stick to individual skills?
    Last edited by Morcleon; 2019-05-23 at 10:52 AM.
    Avatar of Furude Setsuna, by Telasi.
    Quote Originally Posted by Mephit View Post
    Don't worry, I like my characters the way I like my coffee: Strong, but with no cheese in it.
    Quote Originally Posted by Akagi
    Don't hesitate to tell the people you care about the feelings you have for them, because they may not be there tomorrow.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •