New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Ogre in the Playground

Default Some questions from an experienced 3.5 DM, new to 5E

Hey all. I'm looking to gain some insight and answers about various 5E issues.
    I'm a long time GM, but mostly in D&D 3.5E and Pathfinder. Recently I began to check and read about 5E. I'm quite intrigued and find it interesting, yet I've never yet played it or GMed using it. I've read large portions of the Player's guide, DM's guide and some of the Monster manual, but not all...

Some of the questions use quotes from a previous thread I recently posted, asking for comparisons between E6 and 5E, but you don't need to read that thread.

Ok, here goes:
    1) Awarding XP:
    While I got the idea of multiplying the sum of the monsters' XP by a modifier depending on the number of monsters, I'm unsure of how much XP do you award for the encounter? The text indicates that the adjusted XP is used for determining the encounter's difficulty, but I haven't seen anything about the award given.

As an example- Let's say in the encounter I'm using 2 monsters, each is worth 50XP. Do I award the players 100XP? (50+50) or 150 XP? (Adjusted by the x1.5 modifier)

2) Wealth by level?
    In 3.5E and PF, there was a table for approximate wealth-by-level. Basically, the worth of all her material possessions to this level. It helped gauge balance (In a very rough way, I'll admit), an plan loot and rewards. I haven't been able to find anything similar in 5E. What am I missing?

3) Online resource:
    In Pathfinder, the PFSRD site was a huuuuuuggge aid for me as a GM for planning, and for players for bulding characters. I've found various 5E sites, but most only had partial material, and usually not well hyperlinked to navigate. Is there a good site for the mechanical info for 5E?

4) Suggested supplements:
    5E has far fewer supplements (So far at least), but I have far less time... Anything really worth delving into? Anything worth avoiding?

5) Eberron:
    I'm a big fan, and one of my ideas (A major one), takes place in the setting. I understand there is a supplement. How good is it? I'm espeically interested to know if they kept the flavor well, how they dealt with the Dragonmakred, Eberron races and magi-tech technology. (From what I've read so far, 5E seems closer to 1st Ed D&D and AD&D in terms of world flavor)

6) Exploration:
    A major game element/ theme I want to incorporate is exploring the dangerous wilds. Including planning a course, mapping new land, possibly getting lost, dealing with natiral hazards and weather (Fast flowing rivers, rugged hills, salt plains, heat waves, storms, snow and more...). However, when I asked about it in the above mentioned thread, Yora responded:

Originally by Yora:
    ...A good wilderness travel system you would need to make yourself either way. (Though if this part is of interest to your group, the 5th ed. ranger is a bad thing to have in the campaign. A 1st level ranger means you no longer have to interact with the wilderness anymore.)...
    Looking at the ranger class (including the revised), the "natural outdoorsman" niche is fully done at 1st level... It does seem to circumvent most obstacles... Is that so? If it is, has anyone done anything to change it?

7) Magic system:
    It is... different. I'm not yet sure what to think about it. I like the idea that all spells cast by the same caster have the same DC, the ability to upgrade spells, and that the concentration mechanics basically obliterates the stacking of magical effects (As was common in 3.5E and PF). But it's still, a bit strange to me.

I'd love if anyone can explain how it affects their game- things that work well, and things to look out for.

Also, I mostly read spells of low level so far. D&D through it's versions is well known for game breaking higher level spells. Anything specific to look out for?

8) Inspiration:
    I am intrigued by the concept and it's implementation. To me it feels like a downgraded and somewhat altered version of Fate Core's Aspects mechanic. If you're using it- Why? And what are your experiences with it? If you don't- why?

9) The "hard cap" for ability scores:
    I quite loved that ability scores can't rise above 20 (except for very rare occurrences I imagine?). However, one of my players who heard about it, didn't like it. Your thoughts?

10) Anything else...
    Any other insight that might help a GM transitioning between the systems (And players!) that you think is worth mentioning?

Thanks in advance, and it seems I'll be looking into this part of the forum as well from now on.

Kol.

1. Special projects:
    Campaign logs archive, Campaign planning log, Tactical mass combat Homebrew, A unique monsters compendium.
    2. My campaign logs:
    Three from a GM's POV, One from a player's POV. Very detailed, including design and GMing discussions.
    3. Various roleplay and real life musings and anecdotes:
    For those interested, from serious to funny!

Thanks for reading!

2. - Top - End - #2
    Ettin in the Playground

Default Re: Some questions from an experienced 3.5 DM, new to 5E

1) Sorry, not good on this one, will let others answer

2) Page 38 in the DMG has adjustments for wealth starting at a higher level

3) Most sites out there only have the SRD, the free suppliment due to copyright restrictions. Roll20 and dndbeyond both have the ability to buy legally online copies of the book. There are other ones out there, but the legallity is questionable at best and flat out illegal at worst.

4) Depends on what levels you are playing at. Outside of the PhB, DMG, and MM. Look at Xanathar's Guide and Volo's, those will give you the best bang for you buck from WotC.

5) Have only read it and never played it, I will let others check it out.

6) Again, letting others go.

7) There are two huge changes here. The first is cantrip, they have gone from being a weak spell that is more fluff than anything else to being able to be cast at will. No longer are the days when a wizard had to fire a crossbow poorly when they ran out of spells. Not only that, but cantrips get more powerful as your character levels. The second is concentration, most buffs now require concentration on the spell. I like the mechanic personally, although it took some getting used to after having grown up in 3, 3.5. It makes you make more decisions on what is important to you in combat and makes it less about stack and casting buff after buff after buff and more about what helps you and the party the most.

As a DM, you just need to know or mark what is concentration so you don't accidentally cheat and have two concentration spells up at once. My DM, who plays a lot of pathfinder has done it a few times on accident.

8) I've seen 3 games that intended to use it, and used it for the first two sessions then completely forgot about it. Getting advantage on a roll is powerful, but there are lots of ways to get it already. So, inspiration seems to just loss out.

9) I like it, it helps avoid one person totally taking over a campaign because they rolled amazing.

10) The biggest struggle for me initially was concentration spells and checks. Once you get past that, many things run the same way. Overall though, I love the 5e system but I wouldn't mind seeing it grow more over time.
    Last edited by nickl_2000; 2019-05-13 at 07:05 AM.
    Pronouns he/him/his
    Spoiler: 5e Subclass Contest Wins
    Show

● IV-Pinball Wizard
    ● VI-Luchador Bard
    ● XIII-Rogue, Tavern Wench
    ● XV-Monk, Way of the Shrine Guardian
    ● XVI-Cleric, Madness Domain
    ● XVIII-Fighter, Chef
    ● XXI-Artificer, Battling Bowman
    ● XXV-Ley Line Sorcerer

3. - Top - End - #3
    Titan in the Playground

Imp

Don't have the time to answer all of them right now, but here's a few I hope will help:

Quote Originally Posted by Kol Korran View Post
    1) Awarding XP:
    While I got the idea of multiplying the sum of the monsters' XP by a modifier depending on the number of monsters, I'm unsure of how much XP do you award for the encounter? The text indicates that the adjusted XP is used for determining the encounter's difficulty, but I haven't seen anything about the award given.
    You don't give the adjusted XPs, you give the XP of each monster individually.

40 goblins are worth as much XP as (XP for 1 goblin)*40, without the modifier for the number of monster.

It helps keep mooks relevant.

Nothing stopping you from giving more XP if you'd rather, though.

As an example- Let's say in the encounter I'm using 2 monsters, each is worth 50XP. Do I award the players 100XP? (50+50) or 150 XP? (Adjusted by the x1.5 modifier)
    100 XP.

2) Wealth by level?
    In 3.5E and PF, there was a table for approximate wealth-by-level. Basically, the worth of all her material possessions to this level. It helped gauge balance (In a very rough way, I'll admit), an plan loot and rewards. I haven't been able to find anything similar in 5E. What am I missing?
    3.PF's magic items, which are a big drain of the wealth per level, are expected as inherent to the character. 5e's magic items are not, they're all supplemental to the character's power.

If you want to plan loot, the DMG has a ton of tables for that. Other than that loot can be as little or as much as you wish (and as is entertaining, of course).

Also, the Xanathar's Guide for Everything has a table of suggested magic items quantity per level.

In Pathfinder, the PFSRD site was a huuuuuuggge aid for me as a GM for planning, and for players for bulding characters. I've found various 5E sites, but most only had partial material, and usually not well hyperlinked to navigate. Is there a good site for the mechanical info for 5E?
    For the entire mechanical info? No legal ones. Aside the D&D Beyond stuff I suppose. But that doesn't stop people.

[QUOTE=Kol Korran;23906018]
    Also, I mostly read spells of low level so far. D&D through it's versions is well known for game breaking higher level spells. Anything specific to look out for?[QUOTE=Kol Korran;23906018]

There is nothing game breaking if you applies the actual limits of the spells rather than handwaving them because "it's magic". Even what is known as the "Simulacrum chain", aka have a Simulacrum of the caster make a Simulacrum of the caster, then have this Simulacrum make a Simulacrum, etc, which is widely considered like the only game-breaking exploit one should look out for, can reasonably be shot down.

I quite loved that ability scores can't rise above 20 (except for very rare occurrences I imagine?). However, one of my players who heard about it, didn't like it. Your thoughts?
    It's a great thing that the stats are capped. The few ways to go beyond that are suitably epic, as the capacity to go beyond humanoid limits should be.

4. - Top - End - #4
    Orc in the Playground

RogueGuy

I have also converted from 3.5 to 5th.

1) Awarding XP
    The DMG has alternative opiton for leveling on completing quests and Adventures League uses "Advancement Points". When running I ignore the rules and just give out a set amount for the adventure. This has been between 300 and 500 so far but will depend on how quickly you want players to gain levels.

3) Online resource
    Wizard seem to be a bit more forthright in stomping down on copyright material on other sites. There are a couple of good sites with full spell lists I have found but that is about it.

4) Suggested supplements
    This depends what you are looking for and want for your game. I am in two games that only use PHB for player options. Xanthar's Guide has some good subclasses and spells to help out those with weaker options but it also includes some rather over powered. That and the Monster Manual are enough for most of the adventures I have run. DMG does have the full list of Magic Items but there are enough in the free rules that it is not needed.

If you want adventures www.dmsguild.com has lots and some of the hardback adventure supplements are highly rated.

7) Magic system
    I like the limit of only concentrating on one spells. Makes spell selection more meaningful and stops the mass buff before the big fight.

8) Inspiration
    Nice addition I keep meaning to make more use of it.

9) The "hard cap" for ability scores
    There are still belts of Giant Strength. This will depend on what style of game you want to play. Personally never had a lot of games with massive amounts of stat boosts. With Feats also taking up Ability slots I do not see this being a problem.

10) Anything else...
    Overall I much prefer 5th Edition. The main weakness, for me, is the skill system. I like that Multi-classing is a real trade off of raw power against versatility.
    The only restrictions I would add to 5th Ed would be
    • Paladins can Smite a number times a day equal to there paladin level
    • Warlock spell slots cannot be converted into Sorcery point.
    • Healing Spirit follows Crawford's suggestion https://twitter.com/jeremyecrawford/...013312?lang=en
    • Hexblades get there extra powers at level 3 not level 1
    Last edited by Lyracian; 2019-05-13 at 07:21 AM.

5. - Top - End - #5
    Ogre in the Playground

I think there is a calculator.
    https://kobold.club/fight/#/encounter-builder

3. D&D byond is easy to use but requires payment to use all materials.
    From what I know you can open the materials for your players but I don't know how.

4. Xanathar's Guide and Volo's have most of the stuff you want.

7. It make everyone focus on ways to break the game with one spell at a time instead of multiple spells at at the same time.

8. We homebrewed it to be able to affect after the roll or be use as a bard inspiration dice at the same level.

9. I hate it as well, your player will need to suck it up and hope for a tome that will be able to get him past the cap.
    It can be done, I am an example.

10.read to rules you know of from 3.5e, they are different here. For example: there is only one type of critical, a 20 on an attack roll.
    20 on skills and saves aren't critical and a 1 on anything but wands and similar stuff do nothing.
    The rules are written poorly so you will need to work extra time in order to understand them.

Have fun, you are entering a simpler world, for good and worse.
    Last edited by BloodSnake'sCha; 2019-05-13 at 07:26 AM.

6. - Top - End - #6
    Barbarian in the Playground

1. You should give the Party 100xp for the combat scenario, assuming “success” by whatever method you care about. The modifier thing is just to help you gauge how close your encounter is to “trivial/deadly”.

2. I think you want Page 38 of the DMG, it has a small table about providing some extra gold and magic items to characters starting at a higher level. Alternatively, you can take a look at the treasure tables around page 136 and calculate how much coin a Party should expect over the course of a level. Rolling for treasure and magic items this way is likely to result in much more loot than page 38.

3. DndBeyond and Donjon are my preferred partial sources. I think anything that is more complete would count as piracy recommendation.

4. Xanathar’s Guide To Everything is kinda like the DMG2 and PHB2 from 3.5e days. It goes into more detail on the XP mechanics you asked in question 1. And it has other cool stuff, but it also has some reprinted material from other books too (if that’s a deal breaker for you).

5. Can’t say anything about that. Sorry.

6. Some spells, class features, feats, or a combo does negate an aspect of gameplay. If this is an intended and clever use, reward it. If this creates an issue by accident then you can talk to the Player about if they are happy with the results, and make changes. Some people may modify Goodberry to consume the magical component, so it doesn’t fully negate food needs (I’ve gone the opposite way in my game, since my players really don’t want to get bogged down with mechanical starvation).

7. 5e casting reminds me of the Beguiler (and/or Spirit Shaman) class from 3.5e. Druids and Clerics are still solid choices, I feel like Sorcerers need to be built for the campaign or vice versa. The spells you can stack are fun to figure out.

8. I occasionally give it out when we laugh at the roleplaying, but my Players rarely remember they have it without me reminding them. It has mostly helped fill in for the Bard failing to use their own Inspiration or Cast Bless or Heroism, and the fact my Druid Player doesn’t have Guidance, or Resistance, or cast Enhance Ability.

9. That Player should play a Archery Fighting Style Fighter, or Crossbow Ranger, while Blessed and maybe using Elven Accuracy.

10. Mordenkainen’s and Volos provide a decent variety of caster NPCs to use a reference if you really want to expand your sources of statblocks for comparison when building your own NPCs. Lair Actions really help round out things in 5e. Curse Of Strahd and Tales From The Yawning Portal seem to be the best rated adventure books.

A few things stack weird. Apparently Boots Of Striding And Springing can stack with the spell Jump to potentially give you 9X your Athletics Check in distance.

Edit: “Paladins can Smite a number times a day equal to there paladin level” I think this is an unnecessary nerf.
    Last edited by DrKerosene; 2019-05-13 at 07:58 AM.

7. - Top - End - #7
    Orc in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by DrKerosene View Post
    6. Some spells, class features, feats, or a combo does negate an aspect of gameplay. If this is an intended and clever use, reward it. If this creates an issue by accident then you can talk to the Player about if they are happy with the results, and make changes. Some people may modify Goodberry to consume the magical component, so it doesn’t fully negate food needs (I’ve gone the opposite way in my game, since my players really don’t want to get bogged down with mechanical starvation).
    I use this house rule. Goodberry consumes the misletoe on use. I also require that the mistletoe be reasonably fresh, no more than 2d4 days old.

My problem with Goodberry is more theme based than mechanics. I see Rangers as hunters, surviving off game, fishing, and maybe a little herbal knowledge. But why do all that work if you can just cast Goodberry once per day AND get 1hp back to boot?

8. - Top - End - #8
    Troll in the Playground

1) Awarding XP:

Don't use adjusted. The Adjusted number is for you to figure out how tough an encounter might be, and how much tougher it might be if you add more foes to it. Each monster just gives whatever XP it gives.

2) Wealth by level?
    Nothing at all!

Magical loot is not really assumed in 5e. Now, the game isn't balanced if there's no magical loot. Some enemies are outright immune to nonmagical damage. But there's no standard for who can have what kind of loot when.

...Well, there sorta is.

• Levels 1-5: Hand out common items, (adamantine longsword) and occasionally an uncommon. (+1 sword)
    • Levels 6-10: Hand out uncommon items, (+1 sword) and occasionally a rare. (flametongue)
    • Levels 11-15: Hand out rare items, (flametongue) and occasionally a very rare. (Frost Brand)
    • Levels 16-20: Hand out very rare items, (Frost Brand) and occasionally a legendary. (holy avenger)

But that doesn't completely hold up because some items (boots of flying) are way too good for their level. What I did was make a deck of cards, then assigned a piece of loot for each suit, rarity value omitting legendary, and 1-10 value. When they draw a card, they get the corresponding item. If they get a facecard, they get the item listed from 1-4 on the next rarity level.

3) Online resource:
    Not really. Giger has archetypes and feats. Other sites have spells. roll20 has good tools for building stuff and has all the free content. There's also a crapton of free UA content out there, most of which is either broken or has been published in some form.

If you pay money you can get a DRM-locked copy of the books online via DNDbeyond or Roll20.
    5E has far fewer supplements (So far at least), but I have far less time... Anything really worth delving into? Anything worth avoiding?
    In order.

Player's Hand Book -> Dungeon Master's Guide -> Monster Manual -> Xanathar's Guide to Everything

Then for a high level campaign pick up Mordkenkainen's Tome of Foes. For a mid-level campaign with strong lots of orcs, giants, beholders, goblins, or whatever, pick up Volo's.

Obviously if you're in Eberron or Faerun, get the relevant guides if you think you need them.

That pretty much covers it. XGtE has the most player options outside of the PHB and also has a lot of really slick DM tips.
    5) Eberron:
    I'm a big fan, and one of my ideas (A major one), takes place in the setting. I understand there is a supplement. How good is it? I'm espeically interested to know if they kept the flavor well, how they dealt with the Dragonmakred, Eberron races and magi-tech technology. (From what I've read so far, 5E seems closer to 1st Ed D&D and AD&D in terms of world flavor)
    There's no artificer in it, and the rules for magical item creation are... a little loose. But you can work it. I don't own this book but the general consensus seems to be positive?

There is a playtest artificer for free, and the latest version actually seems pretty cool. There are also like 500 different homebrew artificers of varying quality.

6) Exploration:
    A major game element/ theme I want to incorporate is exploring the dangerous wilds. Including planning a course, mapping new land, possibly getting lost, dealing with natiral hazards and weather (Fast flowing rivers, rugged hills, salt plains, heat waves, storms, snow and more...). However, when I asked about it in the above mentioned thread, Yora responded:

Looking at the ranger class (including the revised), the "natural outdoorsman" niche is fully done at 1st level... It does seem to circumvent most obstacles... Is that so? If it is, has anyone done anything to change it?
    Exploration is the weakest pillar of the game and you have to do all the work yourself. But even then Rangers only get advantage in their favored terrain and they can only avoid getting lost. So TBH I don't see it as an issue.

I would highly recommend keeping track of how aware the environment's predators are of them, and 'upgrading' the random encounter roll if the party has been moving slow and making a great big ruckus.

7) Magic system:
    It is... different. I'm not yet sure what to think about it. I like the idea that all spells cast by the same caster have the same DC, the ability to upgrade spells, and that the concentration mechanics basically obliterates the stacking of magical effects (As was common in 3.5E and PF). But it's still, a bit strange to me.

I'd love if anyone can explain how it affects their game- things that work well, and things to look out for.

Also, I mostly read spells of low level so far. D&D through it's versions is well known for game breaking higher level spells. Anything specific to look out for?
    So, its really simple.

Every character has 1 concentration slot. This means that they can have one powerful spell active at any time. This means that something like Haste is broken good... but you can't use it and Bless at the same time.

Every full caster has cantrips. So they can just plunk away with ye olde magical crossbow.

Ritual spells allow for free magic outside of combat.

Instanteous spells are very expensive for what they do (when compared with cantrips and concentration spells and rituals) but they're powerful in the short term.

At high levels, wish+simulacrum is broken and that's really it, without going into dubious rulings.

8) Inspiration:
    I am intrigued by the concept and it's implementation. To me it feels like a downgraded and somewhat altered version of Fate Core's Aspects mechanic. If you're using it- Why? And what are your experiences with it? If you don't- why?
    Never used it or seen it used or talked to someone who used it.
    They can move past 20, with magic items or boons. Same as 3.5, really.

But also, remember that other parts of your class features are easier to boost. You can get advantage on STR checks, for example, which is equivalent to a +3 or so.
    10) Anything else...
    Any other insight that might help a GM transitioning between the systems (And players!) that you think is worth mentioning?
    Just don't assume that because its named the same thing, that it works the same way.
    Make Martials Cool Again.

9. - Top - End - #9
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by napoleon_in_rag View Post
    I use this house rule. Goodberry consumes the misletoe on use. I also require that the mistletoe be reasonably fresh, no more than 2d4 days old.

My problem with Goodberry is more theme based than mechanics. I see Rangers as hunters, surviving off game, fishing, and maybe a little herbal knowledge. But why do all that work if you can just cast Goodberry once per day AND get 1hp back to boot?
    Because you want to eat something other than a big apple every day? Because meat/fish tastes good?
    Pronouns he/him/his
    Show

● IV-Pinball Wizard
    ● VI-Luchador Bard
    ● XVIII-Fighter, Chef
    ● XXV-Ley Line Sorcerer

10. - Top - End - #10
    Troll in the Playground

5: Eberron
    Since nobody's answered this, I will. There are two Eberron resources published for 5e as online only: Wayfinder's Guide to Eberron and Morgrave Miscellany. I don't have links, but they should be easy to look up online.
    Dragonmarks are handled as variant races, and the Eberron specific races can be found in the Wayfinder's guide. I haven't looked at Morgrave, so I don't know what's in there.
    Awesome avatar (Kothar, paladin of Tlacua) by Linkele!

Quote Originally Posted by William Shakespeare, King Lear, IV.i.46
    'Tis the time's plague, when madmen lead the blind.
    My Nexus characters

11. - Top - End - #11

Quote Originally Posted by nickl_2000 View Post
    Because you want to eat something other than a big apple every day? Because meat/fish tastes good?
    I usually like to say that Goodberries are like Willy Wonka Candies (AKA feywild fruit). “It tastes like a whole thanksgiving dinner!” “Mine tastes like blueberry pie!”

If the DM was pitching a game where you hunt for your food, prepare and cook it, have to purify your drinking water, etc, then I would be willing to play, but I would make a very different PC then if that gameplay focus and level of gritty realism was sprung on me.

Also, if Kol wants some support for Ebberon Artificer Stuff, then they should skim this: http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showt...es-Technique-)

Edit: I’ve seen some steampunk stuff in the form of a digitial third-party book a former DM was using. Had guns and a cursed “Midas Cannon”. Can’t recall the name though.
    Last edited by DrKerosene; 2019-05-13 at 08:21 AM.

12. - Top - End - #12
    Ettin in the Playground

Chimera

Those x1.5 things are for helping calculate an encounter difficulty. Running into 20 goblins is a lot (a lot!) harder than running into 1 goblin 20 times. For that reason a DM needs a handy metric for figuring out how much of a challenge increased numbers are. The XP award, however, is still just monster-XP x number-appearing.

2) Wealth by level?
    Xanathar's probably has the best advice. However, assuming you are not letting the party buy magic items (and there is no default assumption that you will), you can start them at whatever starting gold you want, and (over a certain point, as some mundane equipment is expensive enough to be non-trivial) it only matters insofar as which plots you want them to solve with money (passages booked, guards bribed, etc.).

To put it another way, if you want to start them at Xth level, with Y money, the only real effect is whether the fighters are wearing plate mail instead of chain mail, and if they have more or fewer healing potions (plus some middling things like hand crossbows, longbows, and a few kits and the like are a little costly compared to what you earn at levels 1-3).

Excess money does not (unless you decide to go that route) mean the party starts out with +1 everything and all the cool gadgets their bags of holding can carry. 5e doesn't innately work that way.

Sort of. Much of the wilderness rules are in the vein of 'speed is halved, you get disadvantage on X checks' for various terrains (if the DM remembers) unless you have a ranger. Thus, playing a ranger makes the wilderness portion of the game (the part you probably don't care about too much unless you are the kind of player who might reasonably play a ranger) less interesting. That said, you can still get lost. You can still spend 6 weeks instead of 2 getting from point A to point B because you have sketchy information on where you are going/what to look for, etc. Goodberry or the like can make the tracking rations part pretty trivial as well (not that 'this part of the game would be interesting, except that a low-level spell has made it completely trivial' is new to 5e, by any stretch).

Mind you, the biggest things 5e is worst at is 1) starvation, drowning, and other situations very few games do well, and 2) places where in 3e you'd want either hard and fast DCs or having players look for intermittent +1s and +2s to offset the situational -1s and -2s you throw in based on circumstances. Other than that, all the "planning a course, mapping new land, possibly getting lost, dealing with natiral hazards and weather (Fast flowing rivers, rugged hills, salt plains, heat waves, storms, snow and more...) " stuff works mostly the same in 5e as most D&Ds other than 3e/PF. There's a guy here who routinely harshes on the 5e skill system in favor of the 3e model.He's in no way wrong, I just contend that 3e/PF gives you clear, concise, solid structured answers that aren't in the end necessarily good answers.

There are few outright breakers. Simulacrum chaining can be. Wish plus Simulacrum as well (one of the costs of Wish is that you risk losing the ability to ever cast it again, which is a hollow threat if it is a simulacrum of you casting it). I strongly suggest flat out banning those. Otherwise, there are mostly just weaker or stronger spells for the given level.

At the highest levels, spellcasters do start to pull away from the pack. Not like they did in 3e, but enough so that the people who loved 4e consider it a backslide. There certainly are spells that you the DM need to know about such that the players don't trivialize an opponent you intend to be a serious challenge. Something akin to a high level melee fighter (non-EK)* as an enemy warlord is great along with his wizard henchman and his bodyguards, but in isolation a high level wizard PC might just stick him in a forcecage and he's SOL.
    *although you will have noticed that enemies do not need to be built using the PC rules, even if they are 'human warrior' or the like, conceptually.

Can you explain why/their reasoning? The guy doesn't know the system or what the numbers really mean, but he already dislikes them? This reminds me of when D&D 3.0 came out and a AD&D friend of mine started railing on how 'candy-ass' the game must be because monks eventually start dealing d20s for damage (with no conception on really how impressive that was or wasn't).

Anyways, when I was playing 3e, I never had a good yardstick for how good was good enough numerically. Is 16 high enough to play a fighter or do you really need to start with an 18+ or not bother? How quickly do you need to ramp that up as I level and/or acquire gear? I know 3e/PF allows you to optimize to your heart's content, but I never really knew what optimal was because I didn't have any good yardsticks against which to measure. 5e has yardsticks -- if you play point buy or array, you can't start with an 18. If you pick a race without a bonus in that stat, you can't even get 16. Maybe you're not supposed to play Str-based halfling fighters or Dex-based dwarven fighters, but 16 has to be a playable starting #. Likewise, since magic items are optional, 20 has to be a playable maximum to ever get to. Actually having some boundaries like that makes the actual numbers have more weight to me, as they aren't just arbitrary points on a scale I haven't mapped to anything.

Hope these were somewhat helpful.

13. - Top - End - #13
    Ogre in the Playground

1. DMG page 82, in the text right above the table spells this out for you. You would award 100 XP, which would then divide amongst your players. The multiplication factor is for determining the difficulty of the encounter, based on number of monsters. Amount of XP awarded does not get multiplied. You also do not count monsters of significantly lower CR than other monsters in the encounter. If you have an encounter with a Canoloth (CR8) and 10 Abyssal Wretches (CR 1/4), you do not multiply the total by anything for determining difficulty, but award the XP for all creatures defeated.

2. Wealth By Level Guidelines from 3.xe and 4e are necessary, due to how Challenge Ratings work. There is an assumption of a certain level of magical items by certain level thresholds. A level 20 Fighter with only mundane gear would not be able to adequately meet CR 20 challenges in 3.5e. 5e uses a concept called Bonded Accuracy. Which means that difficulty in meeting challenge thresholds (be they Skill DCs or monster AC) don't scale a lot, and most of the improvement to player's rolls come from levelling, not from gear or from ridiculously high stats (due to the cap of 20). It is entirely possible to run a game of 5e without any +1/+2/+3 weapons or armor. So those kinds of items are fairly rare and special. Lots of magical weapons have special effects without giving any +x to hit and damage at all. Since no magic items are necessary for higher level characters, no magical items are assumed, and thus no WBL guidelines. If you choose to give higher-level PCs more, it is, according to the DMG (page 38), entirely at your discretion. But that page also has a table for suggested higher level wealth for such characters.

3. D&D Beyond has some stuff, but not all of it is free. Most of what people homebrew on there is free, however. If you buy the books on pdf through D&D Beyond, you can access them anywhere. That's about it for free online resources. regrettably, PF is still superior when it comes to free online content. The Elemental Evil Player's Guide is free on the WotC site, that has some extra race options and a few new spells.

4. This is entirely subjective, but...I would recommend Xanthar's Guide To Everything as the #1 supplement. It has the most extra player options, most of which are a lot of fun. Next I would say either Volo's Guide To Monsters, or Mordenkainen's Tome Of Foes. Both of which have new player races and new monsters. The last supplement I recommend is Sword Coast Adventurer's Guide. It's a lot of info about the Sword Coast in Forgotten Realms, so not as useful for you. There are a few new character options (some of which were re-printed in XGtE), but of all the supplements, it's the least excting.
    EDIT: If you're interested in running Eberron, I would recommend Volo's over Mordenkainen's. Volo's has rules for running "monster" races, like goblinoids, and full blooded orcs, that you may be interested in vis heirs of Dhakaan or Gatekeepers, respectively.

5. A fellow Eberron fan! I can tell from your forum handle, too. I feel especially qualified to help you here. I literally own every single 3.5e Eberron product in print (including the DM's Screen with art from Grasp of the Emerald Claw). I was profoundly disappointed in 4th edition's take on Eberron. The Wayfinder's Guide to Eberron is GOOD. Keith Baker helped write it himself. The Kalashtar are a little odd, but we don't have a proper system for psionics yet, so that's to be expected. Warforged are great, Changelings are great, Shifters are pretty rad, too. Dragonmarks...I am a little disappointed by the fact that one cannot pick up a Dragonmark at higher levels, manifesting it later in life. They are handled as a separate subrace of each of the races that nears them (or variant race, in the case of humans, 1/2 elves, and 1/2 orcs). At the same time, I feel that they are handled well. I find almost all of them intriguing and compelling player options. 5e's treatment is the first time I have wanted to play a dragonmarked heir of House Vadalis, for example (going from a suggestion in the book, you could play a member of the Druid class who doesn't actually worship nature, but whose druid powers also come from their dragonmark). The dragonmarks also use 5e Eberron's Intuition Dice concept, which kind of reminds one of Action Points from 3.5e, but can only be used on skills related to the dragonmarks. Which is a great and still balanced way to reflect the extra potential those marked individuals have towards those skills. As far as lore, each nation only gets one page, but it does a great job, and if you're introducing new players to Eberron, a lot of behind-the-scenes spoilers are absent from the book (I'm looking at you, Kaius).

Short version is: I am a huge Eberron fan, I bought the Wayfinder's Guide, read every page, and I loved it. Worth it. I hadn't heard about Morgrave Miscellany until this very thread. I will buy it this week, and if I don't remember to re-post in this thread, feel free to PM me.

Also, I am currently playing a character with the updated Artificer playtest. It's pretty good so far, but my DM's world has flintlock firearms (and artificers are explicitly proficient in them if they exist), so YMMV.

6. This seems so subjective to me, and I can't provide any guidance. Ranger is the one class I've never had a player choose when I DM 5e.

7. The magic system in 5e works pretty great for me. I especially like that prepared spellcasters only need to prepare a given spell ONCE, and then they treat it like a "Spells Known" list of spontaneous casters of 3.5e. So a wizard prepares one Magic Missile, and can use spell slots of any level to cast it any number of times per day.

I also enjoy that Bards are full casters now, and could entirely replace the "requirement" of a Cleric or Druid if you want a healer in the party.

Spells to look out for...I haven't yet run a game where people got over 4th level spells (groups keep breaking up), but I've heard bad things about Simulacrum abuse. That might require a little bit of DM-adjudication to keep it from being abused.

8. I forget about it quite a bit, honestly. As do most of the DMs I have had. It's a good system that should be implemented more. It would also be nice to have some expansion on what can be done with it.

9. Hard cap of 20 for stats is a part of Bonded Accuracy that I mentioned before. It's actually not a problem, when you consider that the highest monster AC in the Monster Manual is a 22 for Ancient Red Dragons. Also Skill DCs do not rise exponentially like they did in 3.5e/4e, so it's not an issue. Stat-boosting books can raise the threshold, as does the Barbarian's lvl 20 capstone.

10. I guess I second the advice of the guy who said that you shouldn't assume things work the same way just because they sound the same or similar.
    Grappling has changed a lot.
    Attacks of Opportunity, too. An AoO is now only provoked if a creature leaves another creature's threatened area entirely, instead of leaving any threatened square. So the rogue can dance all around the ogre within it's threatened area with no AoO (of course, the Rogue class also Disengage as a bonus action, but that's neither here nor there).
    I would say another important note is that Stealth checks always oppose Passive Perception. If a creature wants a chance to roll Perception to look for a Stealthed creature, it must do so on its turn.
    Also note that Extra Attacks do not use lower modifiers; 2-weapon Fighting must use two Light weapons (unless one has the feat); Monk attacks may use DEX, but they are not "finesse" (and therefore Monk/Rogues may not Sneak Attack with them); and undead/constructs are not immune to Sneak Attacks or crits (but some have amusing interaction with crits, check out zombies. If it's not a headshot or radiant damage, they might get back up).
    And also, read up on how Legendary Actions work. This is 4e's inheritance of "Solo monsters", and makes a whole party fighting one "boss monster" actually more do-able that it was in 3.5e.
    Last edited by RedMage125; 2019-05-13 at 05:00 PM.
    Red Mage avatar by Aedilred.

Where do you fit in? (link fixed)

RedMage Prestige Class!

Best advice I've ever heard one DM give another:
    "Remember that it is both a game and a story. If the two conflict, err on the side of cool, your players will thank you for it."

Second Eternal Foe of the Draconic Lord, battling him across the multiverse in whatever shapes and forms he may take.

14. - Top - End - #14
    Firbolg in the Playground

EvilClericGuy

Quote Originally Posted by bc56 View Post
    5: Eberron
    Since nobody's answered this, I will. There are two Eberron resources published for 5e as online only: Wayfinder's Guide to Eberron and Morgrave Miscellany. I don't have links, but they should be easy to look up online.
    Dragonmarks are handled as variant races, and the Eberron specific races can be found in the Wayfinder's guide. I haven't looked at Morgrave, so I don't know what's in there.
    And only one of those exist in any official capacity. Wayfinder's Guide is more-or-less paid UA material with enough information to introduce Eberron to new players, but you would propably still need 3.5 material to run a game properly and have more information about the setting. Experienced Eberron GM doesn't strictly need it, as it doesn't present much in the way of new informations, but it's not a bad product. It *should* be updated, and artificer would be added when it's finally finished, but when that is, none can say. There isn't much crunch... new races, few magic items, dragonmarks... and some of it is clearly playtest material that should be revised before put into game... warforged and two-bladed scimitar and the related feat (which is strictly better than TWF + Dual Wielder feat, respectively).

Morgrave Miscellany, while being contributed to by Keith Baker, is strictly 3rd party product and presented as such. I bought it just few days ago and haven't had a chance to read through it properly, but it seems to include lot of fluff ideas Keith mentioned on his blog before, while the mechanical option seems on par with 3rd party DM's Guild products like Xanathar's Lost Notes (which is regularily refered to through the PDF). It shouldn't be mistaken for official material, though. I, personally, don't share the enthusiasm some other people have about it, but as I said, I haven't yet read through the whole thing, just skimmed.

15. - Top - End - #15
    Orc in the Playground

RogueGuy

Quote Originally Posted by DrKerosene View Post
    Edit: “Paladins can Smite a number times a day equal to there paladin level” I think this is an unnecessary nerf.
    It is there to stop Soradin multiclass so it depends if you think that is balanced?
    Single Class Paladin only has a single level where they have more spell slots than character level so they are barley going to notice.

16. - Top - End - #16

Quote Originally Posted by Lyracian View Post
    It is there to stop Soradin multiclass so it depends if you think that is balanced?
    Single Class Paladin only has a single level where they have more spell slots than character level so they are barley going to notice.
    I feel like allowing a multiclass PC to “go nova” at the start of the day, or to trick them into doing so, should be a part of the game. Since they built a character who could do that. If they are going nova on their sixth combat of that adventuring day, or against a boss, they earned it by that point.

17. - Top - End - #17
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by JackPhoenix View Post
    And only one of those exist in any official capacity. Wayfinder's Guide is more-or-less paid UA material with enough information to introduce Eberron to new players, but you would propably still need 3.5 material to run a game properly and have more information about the setting. Experienced Eberron GM doesn't strictly need it, as it doesn't present much in the way of new informations, but it's not a bad product. It *should* be updated, and artificer would be added when it's finally finished, but when that is, none can say. There isn't much crunch... new races, few magic items, dragonmarks... and some of it is clearly playtest material that should be revised before put into game... warforged and two-bladed scimitar and the related feat (which is strictly better than TWF + Dual Wielder feat, respectively).
    I wouldn't say "there isn't much crunch". Effectively 17 new player race options (4 whole new races, each of the 12 houses has a new race or subrace, with Tharasshk having new human and new half-orc), new magic items, and a new weapon and feat.

Ok, I will admit that the double scimitar needs to be toned down. It is too good.

You are probably correct, though, that a DM familiar with 3.5e Eberron will probably get more out of it. There's a lot of detail missing, but it's a short document, and meant to be a playtest, at that. I actually like that a lot of stuff like Kaius III's identity was left out. It feels more like a player book. But I would also say that it IS quite useful for 5e DMs who want to run Eberron. You may not like the Warforged, but I think that they're fairly well-balanced. Much like 3.5e warforged were, at any rate. For a "kick-in-the-door" style straight up combat/loot dungeon crawl, they are vastly superior. But they were in 3.5e, too. I like that the WGtE gave us quasi-official stats for all these things. I think they did a better job with Dragonmarks than I would have had I homebrewed something, anyway.

It's not perfect, but don't sell it short, either.
    Red Mage avatar by Aedilred.

Where do you fit in? (link fixed)

RedMage Prestige Class!

Best advice I've ever heard one DM give another:
    "Remember that it is both a game and a story. If the two conflict, err on the side of cool, your players will thank you for it."

Second Eternal Foe of the Draconic Lord, battling him across the multiverse in whatever shapes and forms he may take.

18. - Top - End - #18
    Ogre in the Playground

Chimera

I don't know if someone said this yet, but it's better to use milestone leveling in 5e. If you don't know, that's when you award levels for specific points in the game, or when your players do something so amazing it feels right to award it.
    Sorry if you know that already, hate to preach to the quire. Especially when you've been dming longer than me.

19. - Top - End - #19
    Bugbear in the Playground

ClericGuy

Hey all. I'm looking to gain some insight and answers about various 5E issues.
    I'm a long time GM, but mostly in D&D 3.5E and Pathfinder. Recently I began to check and read about 5E. I'm quite intrigued and find it interesting, yet I've never yet played it or GMed using it. I've read large portions of the Player's guide, DM's guide and some of the Monster manual, but not all...

Some of the questions use quotes from a previous thread I recently posted, asking for comparisons between E6 and 5E, but you don't need to read that thread.

Ok, here goes:
    1) Awarding XP:

2) Wealth by level?

3) Online resource:

5) Eberron:

6) Exploration:

7) Magic system:

8) Inspiration:

10) Anything else...

Thanks in advance, and it seems I'll be looking into this part of the forum as well from now on.

Kol.
    Fellow 3.x DM here. Only answering a few of them, mostly because lazy/not experienced with them.

2 - WBL does not exist, nor does it really need to. Because magic items aren't generally created as they were in 3.x, gold isn't as necessary. You could award magic items from the tables they have, but generally they only start with their starting gold.

4 - Depending on your DM'ing/play style, XGTE is almost mandatory. Beyond that, I like Volo's but otherwise everything is a wash.

7 - When comparing anything to 3.x, it's going to appear lower power level. This is a feature, not a bug. Bounded accuracy means that overall saves and number bloat is going to be below what you're used to. However, the numbers characters are going to be rolling are also going to be lower. A level 20 barbarian in 3.x would still be rolling (assuming neutral wisdom modifier) at a +6 WILL save, where here they'll still be rolling at a +0.

9 - I'll admit, I don't love the hard cap, but it does put more emphasis on the types of loot that players find. It makes it that much more important to find stuff like a Belt of Frost Giant Strength rather than just being like, "Oh, my strength goes to 23. Well, given that my strength is currently 30, why would I need this thing?"

6 - I feel like the quote in question is a bit misleading. If you implement a hex crawl type system where the players are going to come across hazards and such in the wilderness, they'll still have to deal with hazards. Basically, having a ranger means they won't get lost, aren't slowed, and can be stealthy easier. It doesn't mean they can magically teleport across the wilderness to where they need to get to. It also doesn't give them magically knowing exactly where the Mcguffin in the forest is. They just can't get lost and they're a bit better at avoiding random mob encounters.
    78% of DM's started their first campaign in a tavern. If you're one of the 22% that didn't, copy and paste this into your signature.

Where did you start yours?

In a mountain after a cave-in.

MY STATS OFF THE ELITE ARRAY:
    Str: 14 Dex: 8 Con: 12 Int: 15 Wis: 10 Cha: 11

Quote Originally Posted by Vrock_Summoner View Post
    I wish I had you for a DM...
    Please critique my 5e Beguiler Wizard subclass!

https://forums.giantitp.com/showthre...izard-Subclass

20. - Top - End - #20
    Firbolg in the Playground

EvilClericGuy

Quote Originally Posted by RedMage125 View Post
    I wouldn't say "there isn't much crunch". Effectively 17 new player race options (4 whole new races, each of the 12 houses has a new race or subrace, with Tharasshk having new human and new half-orc), new magic items, and a new weapon and feat.
    To be fair, in my mind, I don't really consider dragonmarked as separate racial options, but like one option (dragonmark) that has (somewhat) different effect on different races.

Also, Mark of Finding is half-orc only, except the half-orc may look indistinguishable from human.

21. - Top - End - #21

BlackDragon

Another 3.x DM, here.

Most everything you've asked about has been covered.

8) Inspiration.

I find this to be helpful, especially with New Players. Encourages Players to pick things they really want for their Character.

And gives the DM a means of rewarding the (Role)playing of Background flavor as well as their Traits/Ideals/Bonds/Flaws in game.

But, there are some things that the DM has to decide:

A) How hard is it to "earn" Inspiration?

B) How often is Inspiration rewarded?

And then balancing these two.

The only real problem that I've had, is that a Player will do "Something Cool" that I want to reward, but they already have Inspiration.
    I'm still working on it.
    My Knowledge, Understanding, and Opinion on things can be changed
    No offense is intended by anything I post.
    *Limited Playtest Group - I'm mostly Stuck in the White Room.
    *I am learning valuable things, here. So thanks, everyone!

22. - Top - End - #22
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Great Dragon View Post

The only real problem that I've had, is that a Player will do "Something Cool" that I want to reward, but they already have Inspiration.
    I'm still working on it.
    Why not just allow stacking of inspiration? You can get more than 1 inspiration available, but you can have a max of 1 at the end of a long rest (or don't do this, I don't really see a problem with having multiple inspirations at once).
    Pronouns he/him/his
    Show

● IV-Pinball Wizard
    ● VI-Luchador Bard
    ● XVIII-Fighter, Chef
    ● XXV-Ley Line Sorcerer

23. - Top - End - #23
    Titan in the Playground

Imp

Quote Originally Posted by Great Dragon View Post
    I'm still working on it.
    You could just give them advantage on the action directly.

24. - Top - End - #24

BardGuy

I've only ever played 5e - But based on reading about other versions and games and hearing people who have been playing for decades talk about it (People love to call it "Mathfinder" lol)

My opinion is the great thing about 5e is it has good mechanics that create a good core structure to run the game by, all while providing the DM flexability to improvise whatever he wants to enable him to focus on the experience and not be bogged down by whatever - numbers, rolling, checks, mechanics.

I'll pick out a few of your topics as examples.

Experience system - Do it however you want. To be honest, every-single-game i've played in real life, the GM simply gives us level up's when it's appropriate to the story line. We played Curse of Strahd, for example, and whenever we made good progress in the story or killed a strong bad guy (WinterSplinter, Babalisaga, etc) he would just tell us to level up. It made things easy for him, and it prevented us from having to track experience and seeking out "grinding opportunitites".

Inspiration - i LOVE this. Its a reward system doled out by the GM. Did you role play an encounter really well? Great! You get an Inspiration point! Did you think of a really creative way to solve a problem that is in-character? Great! Inspiration point. It just adds 1d4 to any roll you want, which is great. DC 15 Sleight of Hand check on that lock and you rolled a 13-14? Perfect, I'll use an Inspiration point - we want that loot!

I also love the spell system. The limitations prevent all this crazy magic use.

25. - Top - End - #25
    Orc in the Playground

RedWizardGuy

I find that, as it stands in the rules, inspiration just doesn't make enough of a difference to really be noticeable to my players.

I forget to hand it out, they forget to use it.

Our solution is to have inspiration be a reroll, instead of advantage. You get to see the roll and decide to use it or not.

And the other solution; I let the players decide when another player deserves inspiration. If they agree as a group, I hand it out. Doesn't take much time but it makes players feel cool because they did something everyone thought deserved a reward.

And I don't worry about them abusing this power; in the sorts of climactic scenes where abuse might be tempting, it actually makes a lot of sense to hand out lots of inspiration; those are the scenes where the PC's are doing lots of amazing things.
    The Stormwind Fallacy, Just because one optimizes his characters mechanically does not mean that they cannot also roleplay, and vice versa.

Corollary: Doing one in a game does not preclude, nor infringe upon, the ability to do the other in the same game.

Generalization 1: One is not automatically a worse roleplayer if he optimizes, and vice versa.
    Generalization 2: A non-optimized character is not automatically roleplayed better than an optimized one, and vice versa.

26. - Top - End - #26

PaladinGuy

2) Wealth by level?
    This and this

Waterdeep: Dragon Heist, definitely Waterdeep

8) Inspiration:
    I use my own little twist on it. We have a similar mechanic in my 40k game, and there it works wonders. You can see how I use it in the link in my signature.

27. - Top - End - #27

NinjaGuy

7) Magic system:

So I'd like to talk about this for a bit. I'm a pure 5e player, never touched 3.5e, but I've heard of some of the stuff that was possible in 3.5e (mostly from order of the stick...).

It's important to pay attention to power spike levels. Fifth level is a power spike for everyone, but for casters it means getting their hands on powerful tools like fireball (way powerful damage for the level its at. Even 4th level spells are often weaker), fly, counter spell, and haste. Keeping in mind how much more your party will be capable of is important. 7th level by comparison isn't as flashy and there's a lot of dud spells, but there's some gems like dimension door, guardians of faith, and polymorph. 9th level is big with wall of force (no save cages), animate objects, teleportation circle, and raise dead becoming options. 13th level is when you need to start fearing individual spells. Simulacrum and force cage can destroy encounters.

However, I notice that in 3.5e casters had access to many more high level spell slots. So while getting a new tier of spells is still a huge deal at higher levels, 5e casters only have 2 5th level slots, and 1 each of 6th, 7th, 8th, and 9th level slots all the way up up to level 18. For the most part in combat at medium-high levels, I find 1st and 2nd level spells are left for utility (especially shield and absorb elements), 3rd and fourth level spells make up the majority of go-to options.

I don't have a full understanding, but in 3.5e it looked like there was a lot of meta-magic? In 5e, it's only for sorcerers. Even their version is weaker, quicken makes a 1-action spell take your bonus action instead, but if you cast any spell with your bonus action you cannot cast anything more then a cantrip as your main action.
    Last edited by Frozenstep; 2019-05-14 at 11:16 AM.

28. - Top - End - #28
    Ogre in the Playground

Wow! I just wanted to thank all of you for the immense help, resources and information! In the thread itself, and from people who PMed me! It helps me understand things better, though it'll take time to absorb, asses and understand it all.
    Thanks a lot, I'll probably respond more directly in a few days (Or a week or so?) once I've had time, but the pouring of help rally surprised and encouraged me to take this on!

So thanks, everybody!

1. Special projects:
    Campaign logs archive, Campaign planning log, Tactical mass combat Homebrew, A unique monsters compendium.
    2. My campaign logs:
    Three from a GM's POV, One from a player's POV. Very detailed, including design and GMing discussions.
    3. Various roleplay and real life musings and anecdotes:
    For those interested, from serious to funny!

Thanks for reading!

29. - Top - End - #29

BlackDragon

@nickl_2000
    I was reading the DMG, and found Hero Points. Works mostly the same as Inspiration, except that it's +1d6 to the Roll, before being resolved.

But, instead of the 5 at start, then refreshing with each level-up to 5 +1 per level: I'll try giving 1 Hero Point at first level, with them being able to earn up to 5 plus level.

Some more research and Testing is needed.
    Last edited by Great Dragon; 2019-05-14 at 03:07 PM.

30. - Top - End - #30

Lizardfolk

As a recent transfer from Pathfinder myself, here are a few insights to keep in mind:

1. Pathfinder is very specific, and niche power building is a real issue. When you can achieve better than a +20 in stealth by 10th level, DCs have to be scaled accordingly, meaning if you don't have somebody built for that kind of thing, it ain't gonna happen. 5e doesn't have such things as skill points to allocate, and there is a cap on just how high you can powerbuild a specific skill so DCs are usually much more attainable even by those who aren't specifically power-built for that skill.

2. 5e is a lot more loose in how it plays. If you have a benefit, odds are it's advantage. If you have a debuff, odds are it's disadvantage. Much easier to keep straight and remember instead of all of Pathfinders "+4 to..." or "+2 to...".

3. While Pathfinder has multitudes of races, classes, feats, and the like, 5e has subclasses. Similar to Pathfinder's Archtypes, except it's required. This is both good and bad, in the sense there is less to choose from, but on the flip side it's much easier to customize and build your character to fit one playstyle. For example, I wanted to play a ranger, but the party desperately needed a healer. So I played a Paladin, but in play played him like a ranger by giving him crossbows and smites in lieu of Hunter's Mark.

4. Pathfinder has set rules of how to play everything, from mounted vs. unmounted combat and how that differs from mounted vs. mounted, even stretching to how combat should be played if the enemy's mount is larger than yours, to give an example of heavily mandated rules hardly anybody has used. 5e is a lot more up to the DM digression on how they want to handle things when the party decides to think outside the box, which I say to be a great benefit in 5e's favor.

As for a good reference, I enjoy Giger's 5e. All the stuff on there is free, unlike on Roll20, as well as I enjoy the aesthetic of the site, however, as with many sites for 5e, there are some noticeable gaps in the information it contains.