Page 1 of 6 123456 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Ogre in the Playground

Default A Simple 5e Game [GM FOUND]

I'm interested in playing a wizard for a 5e game and am looking for a DM willing to run one. I'd like for there to be a fair mix of RP and action, if possible, and most especially would like to play in a game where player choice will matter (we can do a pre-written adventure module if you want, as long as you're comfortable improvising should it become necessary). Beyond that, player number, setting, books, and so on are up to you. Anyone interested?

Link to the 16 Post
    Last edited by Luccan; 2019-05-20 at 05:11 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Nifft View Post
    All Roads Lead to Gnome.

I for one support the Gnoman Empire.
    I have a homebrew: A couple Generic Classes (Now with a new Feat and ACF!)

Spoiler: Build Contests
    Show

E6 Iron Chef XVI Shared First Place: Black Wing

2. - Top - End - #2
    Barbarian in the Playground

Default Re: A Simple 5e Game

I would be interested in running something, but I want to see if there's other player interest first before I write up a pitch.
    See that cool Teifling? Thanks, potatopeelerkin! If you want something like it, they have more avatars up for adoption in the thread with the same name...

Hey, I have an extended signature now!

3. - Top - End - #3
    Pixie in the Playground

RogueGuy

I'd be interested in playing as an artificer (or rogue if you don't want UA)

4. - Top - End - #4

Quote Originally Posted by Chengduguy View Post
    I'd be interested in playing as an artificer (or rogue if you don't want UA)
    I'm absolutely fine with UA, and most reasonably balanced homebrew so long as you ask. Just be sure you use the most recent version of things (i.e. use the most recent Artificer, and use the Celestial Warlock from XGtE instead of the Underdark UA from a while back).
    Last edited by SunderedWorldDM; 2019-05-19 at 12:00 PM.
    See that cool Teifling? Thanks, potatopeelerkin! If you want something like it, they have more avatars up for adoption in the thread with the same name...

5. - Top - End - #5
    Ogre in the Playground

I'd love to play.

Preferably Rogue or Paladin.
    ďIt's like everyone tells a story about themselves inside their own head. Always. All the time. That story makes you what you are. We build ourselves out of that story.Ē
    ― Kvothe, The Name of the Wind

Map for RotRL

6. - Top - End - #6

I'm interested in playing a bard or something along those lines.
    And the far stars cried, and the planets yearned;
    But no man may know, for she'll ne'er return.

7. - Top - End - #7
    Ogre in the Playground

It seems we have some interest. I suspect people were waiting for a DM to volunteer.
    All Roads Lead to Gnome.

Show

8. - Top - End - #8
    Bugbear in the Playground

Since homebrew is potentially cool, I think I'd like to do a fighter subclass I've been sitting on for a bit. Not sure on race.
    Entering the tower of my fears,
    I shut my doors on that dark guilt,
    I bolt the door, each door I bolt.
    Blood quickens, gonging in my ears:

9. - Top - End - #9
    Colossus in the Playground

I'm torn. On the one hand, I want to request tons of wacky-zappy homebrew.

On the other hand, the thread title is Simple. So I probably won't request anything TOO crazy.
    I have a LOT of Homebrew!

Current Avatar by Elder Tsofu, who is awesome!

Spoiler: Former Avatars
    Show
    Spoiler: Avatar (Not In Use) By Professor Gnoll!
    Show

Spoiler: Avatar (Not In Use) By Cdr. Fallout!
    Show

10. - Top - End - #10

I'm glad we have some interest! I haven't yet come up with a fabulously amazing game idea, but I'm tossing around some ideas that look along the lines of heavily modified Dragon Heist set in my homebrew world. Does anyone here have any ideas for a campaign that they think would be cool?

11. - Top - End - #11

Personally, I'd like to start around level 3-ish, but a heist or criminal focused campaign sounds pretty awesome to me

12. - Top - End - #12

BardGuy

I'd be interested in rolling something - Whatever party balance required.

Doesnt sound like anyone's picked a character who can heal - Maybe i'd play a Lore Bard and pick up Healing word, and at lvl 6 Aura of Vitality.

13. - Top - End - #13
    Ogre in the Playground

My only request is that we start a little bit higher level. Most games on this forum start somewhere between levels one and three, and frankly most play by post games donít have the longest lifespan. It would be nice to play with at least a little bit of higher level content. Iíd be happy with even level 5 to 8 or something, or whatever the GM wanted. Itís just nice to get a little bit out of the initial few levels in the game.

14. - Top - End - #14

Quote Originally Posted by SunderedWorldDM View Post
    I'm glad we have some interest! I haven't yet come up with a fabulously amazing game idea, but I'm tossing around some ideas that look along the lines of heavily modified Dragon Heist set in my homebrew world. Does anyone here have any ideas for a campaign that they think would be cool?
    So that would be an urban-focused criminal campaign, would it? Sounds fine to me.

Quote Originally Posted by Tallytrev813 View Post
    I'd be interested in rolling something - Whatever party balance required.

Doesnt sound like anyone's picked a character who can heal - Maybe i'd play a Lore Bard and pick up Healing word, and at lvl 6 Aura of Vitality.
    I was thinking about a bard. I can swing a sorcerer instead if you particularly want to bard it up, however.
    And the far stars cried, and the planets yearned;
    But no man may know, for she'll ne'er return.

15. - Top - End - #15

BardGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Awful View Post
    So that would be an urban-focused criminal campaign, would it? Sounds fine to me.

I was thinking about a bard. I can swing a sorcerer instead if you particularly want to bard it up, however.
    Dibs on bard. I called it hahaha

No role whichever you prefer - if you want to run a Sorc I'll play bard

16. - Top - End - #16
    Colossus in the Playground

If we're going criminals, I'd like to be an Enforcer.

I hope that the OP doesn't mind that bit of brew-it's nothing too flashy.
    I have a LOT of Homebrew!

Current Avatar by Elder Tsofu, who is awesome!

Spoiler: Former Avatars
    Show
    Spoiler: Avatar (Not In Use) By Professor Gnoll!
    Show

Spoiler: Avatar (Not In Use) By Cdr. Fallout!
    Show

17. - Top - End - #17
    Ogre in the Playground

Sounds like fun. I'm not flowing with ideas, like I said I just want the opportunity to play a Wizard.
    All Roads Lead to Gnome.

Show

18. - Top - End - #18

Quote Originally Posted by Whiskeyjack View Post
    My only request is that we start a little bit higher level. Most games on this forum start somewhere between levels one and three, and frankly most play by post games donít have the longest lifespan. It would be nice to play with at least a little bit of higher level content. Iíd be happy with even level 5 to 8 or something, or whatever the GM wanted. Itís just nice to get a little bit out of the initial few levels in the game.
    I can agree with this tbh. It's nice to start with some features under our belts for a change

19. - Top - End - #19

BardGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Luccan View Post
    Sounds like fun. I'm not flowing with ideas, like I said I just want the opportunity to play a Wizard.
    You could roll Illusion Wizard - that would fit in, and be quite useful, with a thiefy-type game. Or Divination...that too.

20. - Top - End - #20

Alright, looks like we have plenty of interest for a higher-level urban adventure. Would we rather go like Tier 2 high level or Tier 3? Because I'm good with anything from 5th to 15th level, I just want to know where your preference falls in that range, and that will change my prompt. I'll come up with a more solid pitch tonight, and should have a definitive 16 by tomorrow or so.

JNA, that Enforcer should work just fine.
    Last edited by SunderedWorldDM; 2019-05-20 at 12:22 PM.

21. - Top - End - #21

BardGuy

Alright, looks like we have plenty of interest for a higher-level urban adventure. Would we rather go like Tier 2 high level or Tier 3? Because I'm good with anything from 5th to 15th level, I just want to know where your preference falls in that range, and that will change my prompt. I'll come up with a more solid pitch tonight, and should have a definitive 16 by tomorrow or so.

Lets look at 6+ (So i can properly be a healer with Aura of Vitality)

My vote, i think 6th - 8th level is good

22. - Top - End - #22
    Ogre in the Playground

I think 7th-10th level should be fine.
    All Roads Lead to Gnome.

Show

23. - Top - End - #23

This is the brew I'd like to try out.
    My vote goes to 7-10 as well.

Spoiler: Martial Archetype: Discordant
    Show
    In battle, blades clash and ring, shields break and snap, warriors yell and scream, and beneath it all, the sound of violence reigns supreme. One sound, however, stands out above the rest in your memory: the eternal song of the Perfect Chord, a manifestation of light and sound that bore witness to your conflict, collecting the cries of the wounded and the yells of the victors before vanishing once more. Inspired by this melody, you have dedicated your martial focus to the creation of dissonance, adjusting the vibrations of the universe to inflict a discordant cacophony of destructive power upon your adversaries. With weapons singing a tale of triumph and despair, you stand valiant before the chaos of everlasting war.

Ring the Blade
    When you choose this archetype at 3rd level, you learn to make your blades sing with destructive energy. While you are wielding a melee weapon, you can use a bonus action to make it ring with sonorous power for one minute. If the weapon leaves your hand, it stops ringing.
    While a weapon is ringing, it inflicts thunder damage instead of the normal type. Whenever a creature other than you starts its turn within 5 feet if you while your weapon is ringing, it takes thunder damage equal to your highest ability score modifier.
    As an action while holding a ringing weapon, you can unleash this energy, generating sharpened edges of pure sound to lash out in all directions around you and causing the
    weapon to stop ringing. When you do this, each creature other than you within 15 feet of you takes thunder damage equal to the damage dice of the weapon plus your highest ability score modifier.
    You can unleash the energy within a ringing weapon twice, and you regain these uses when you finish a short or long rest.
    Starting at 7th level, unleashing this energy inflicts twice as much damage, and it inflicts three times as much damage at 15th level.

Hear the Silence
    Also at 3rd level, you learn to stop noise around you by disrupting your own heartbeat. As a bonus action, you can cast silence centered on yourself. When cast in this way, it requires no verbal, somatic, or material components, lasts until the start of your next turn, and affects a 5-foot-radius sphere centered on you.

Defy Harmony
    At 7th level, you move against the beat of the universe, like nails upon lifeís chalkboard. You gain proficiency in the Intimidation skill. When you wield a weapon that is ringing, your attacks with that weapon ignore disadvantage caused by your target being heavily obscured.

Shatter Syncronicity
    At 10th level, you learn to further manipulate sound and silence. Friendly creatures within 15 feet of you gain resistance to thunder damage. When a hostile creature takes thunder damage as a result of starting its turn within 5 feet of you while your weapon is ringing, it becomes disrupted by eldritch vibrations that interfere with spellcasting. If it tries to cast a spell with a verbal component before the start of your next turn, it takes 2d10 thunder damage immediately after casting the spell. If this would cause it to make a concentration saving throw, it makes this saving throw with disadvantage.

Strike Unhindered
    At 15th level, while your weapon is ringing, you can use a bonus action to take the Dash action. When you do, you automatically break free from any creature grappling you. After you use this bonus action, any creature or object other than you within 5 feet of you at any time during your turn takes thunder damage equal to your highest ability score modifier at the end of your turn.

As Perfect Imperfection

At 18th level, your path has taken you to the final measure, as you at last become the metronome of the Chord. Your heartbeat is as unstoppable as it is unpredictable, and your pulse thunders in your ears. Whenever you are below half your maximum hit points, you can unleash the energy within a ringing weapon without expending your use of the feature. Whenever you are reduced to 0 hit points, you can choose to be reduced to 1 hit point instead. Once you do so, you canít do so again until you finish a long rest.

(From the compendium of forgotten secrets) [file link]
    Last edited by Hypersmith; 2019-05-20 at 12:35 PM.

24. - Top - End - #24

BardGuy

Lets do 8th level?

25. - Top - End - #25
    Ogre in the Playground

Hmm, a higher level intrigue based game. Kind of Leverage meets Gary Gygax. I like it, and am definitely looking at Rogue here.

10th would be my sweet spot.
    Last edited by Kvard51; 2019-05-20 at 12:46 PM.
    ďIt's like everyone tells a story about themselves inside their own head. Always. All the time. That story makes you what you are. We build ourselves out of that story.Ē
    ― Kvothe, The Name of the Wind

Map for RotRL

26. - Top - End - #26

Love seeing interest flow in like this
    Makes me hyped to start working on a background. Looking forward to this pitch/16, and everyone's characters!

27. - Top - End - #27

BardGuy

Lets pick a level so i can create this character - im getting the creation itch

Someone said 10th, I'm fine with that - thoughts?

28. - Top - End - #28

10th it is, that's what I see most people saying. I'll design my campaign pitch off of that level in that case.

29. - Top - End - #29

The Tale of Trollskull Alley

In the bustling city of Ermeridian, crown of the Free North, many conflicts lie below the watchful eye of the city guard. Countless petty thieves guilds vie for power, all under the watch of the two most notorious crime rings in the north- the Apex and the Black Maw. You all are agents of the more widespread group, the Apex. How deeply embroiled you are in the organization is up to you. The Shaar, enigmatic leader of the Apex, has tasked you with running the Trollskull Alley tavern, a small backwater space that doubles as a source of legal income for the Apex and a safe house for agents that need a place to stay.

However, the conflict between the Apex and the Black Maw is beginning to flare up. You're not yet sure why, but the Shaar has warned you to guard against members of the Black Maw, and attack them on sight if possible. As events escalate, your characters are driven into a city-wide struggle in hunt of a dragon's hoard from eons before, with many villainous forces on the trail. Will you secure the cash for the Apex, or will the streets of Ermeridian claim your lives?

Spoiler: The 16
    Show
    What game system are you running (D&D, Call of Cthulu, Palladium, GURPS, etc.), and if applicable what edition (Original, Classic, Revised, 1st, 2nd, 3rd, 5th, 10th, etc.)?
    5e D&D, as promised.

What 'type' or variant of game will it be (i.e. "Shadow Chasers" or "Agents of Psi" for d20 Modern)? What is the setting for the game (eg. historic period, published or homebrewed campaign setting, alternate reality, modern world, etc.)?
    Homebrewed and heavily modified Dragon Heist. Don't worry if you've played or are playing through another Dragon Heist campaign now, this one is set in a homebrew world and will be modified so heavily that you won't really be able to recognize much of it.

How many Players are you looking for? Will you be taking alternates, and if so, how many?
    We'll start with 6 players, and if interest holds, 2 alternates. But I'm happy to run with as little as 3.

What's the gaming medium (OOTS, chat, e-mail etc.)?
    Forum here. I might be silent for a bit, but if you need me to do something, just put up an OOC post and/or PM me and I'll get right on it. Sometimes I get busy, sometimes I wait for the payers to unanimously declare an action, but if you get my attention, I'll be sure to advance the plot.

What is the characters' starting status (i.e. experience level)?
    10th level.

How much gold or other starting funds will the characters begin with?
    We'll start everyone else with 100 extra gold and an Uncommon magic item of your choice. In addition, if you need extra equipment during the campaign, you can try contacting the higher-ups in the Apex for a favor, though they might ask for one back.

Are there any particular character classes, professions, orders, etc. that you want... or do not want? What are your rules on 'prestige' and/or homebrewed classes?
    You should all have some reason to have fallen in with the Apex, even if your character didn't have a choice. Otherwise, run any homebrew by me first, and make sure it fits in the metropolitan setting.

What races, subraces, species, etc. are allowed for your game? Will you allow homebrewed races or species? 'Prestige' races or species?
    Again, run it by me, and if it fits the setting, go for it.

By what method should Players generate their attributes/ability scores and Hit Points?
    Ability scores, 4d4 4d6 (thanks, guys) drop lowest seven times and drop one of your choice for a total of 6. Not necessarily the lowest one, mind you. Hit points, take max 1st level and average after.

Does your game use alignment? What are your restrictions, if so?
    Really anything, so long as your character would work with the other characters and obey the laws of Ermeridian (as much as possible given your job) and the Apex if not out of respect for them, but of fear of rebuttal.

Do you allow multi-classing, or have any particular rules in regards to it?
    Go for it, but multiclassing homebrew will raise some suspicion from me.

Will you be doing all of the die rolling during the course of the game? Will die rolls be altered, or left to the honor system? If players can make die rolls, which ones do they make, how should they make the rolls, and how should they report them?
    As typical, I will roll for everyone that isn't the PCs, you roll everything else. Generally don't cheat, don't be stupid.

Are there any homebrewed or optional/variant rules that your Players should know about? If so, list and explain them, or provide relevant links to learn about these new rules.
    Run any homebrew by me first.

Is a character background required? If so, how big? Are you looking for anything in particular (i.e. the backgrounds all ending up with the characters in the same city)?
    Skirt length. Something I love is when player add things to my world as part of their backstory, so if you mention a ship you grew up in or an arcane academy you graduated from or a specific orphanage or something, you can create the space whole-cloth and I'll add it to my world, or work with you to modify the concept enough so that I can. But if that's not something you're interested in doing, you can keep things generic and we can fill in the details.

Does your game involve a lot of hack & slash, puzzle solving, roleplaying, or a combination of the above?
    There's gonna be a lot of social interaction, a lot of combat, and some minimal puzzle solving in the form of mysteries, riddles, or the like.

ONE LAST NOTE: I find optimization a bit obnoxious. If you're building a character just to be a DPS machine or 'beat' my campaign, we're not going to have a good time. I'm okay with a bit of synergy, but if you're putting a mechanical advantage over a sound and plausible narrative we're going to butt heads.
    Last edited by SunderedWorldDM; 2019-05-20 at 05:56 PM.

30. - Top - End - #30

BardGuy

For DM:

I am making a Lore Bard - wanted to Confirm i get to see rolls without modifiers or knowing whether they fail/succeed before deciding whether to use Cutting Words, correct?

Also pertinent to Lucky feat