New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Halfling in the Playground

Kobold

Default How to build a Godslayer

I'm starting to do some planning for a character for a game we'll be playing in the near future. I've had the inspiration for either a True Neutral, Chaotic Neutral, or Lawful Evil character whose aspiration in life is killing Gods or Godlike beings whether evil or not.

This game is going to be run from levels 1-20+ and my initial idea is 20 levels Great Old One (Pact of the Blade) Warlock.

My initial idea for this character would be a follower of one of the many Old Gods (and potential Starspawn descendant) and would view the "new" Gods as imposters and charlatans, and see their followers as Heretics. They would systematically destroy organized followings of these Gods through destruction of holy doctrine/objects, corruption or assassination of powerful members of the various faiths, and planting their own agents within them and destroying them from the inside out before pursuing the Gods themselves.

While I've gotten this far, I like having several options in case I'm not feeling as interested in one when the time comes to play it, so I was wondering, how would you guys build your own Godslayer?

2. - Top - End - #2
    Firbolg in the Playground

EvilClericGuy

Default Re: How to build a Godslayer

Step 1: ask your GM if killing gods is possible at all. Mortals can't kill gods in default 5e. Even the fight against Tiamat is only to kick her out of Material Plane, she's perfectly fine afterwards.

3. - Top - End - #3
    Orc in the Playground

DrowGirl

Mechanically? I'd like to build a character who would be able to drop everything they have into a single attack. When taking on deities it's often the case that Gods are only vulnerable for a brief period of time, if maybe only for a moment, so these single attack builds are what I'd consider to be very fluffy and appropriate for taking them down.

Probably some kind of Hexblade/Paladin multiclass with Grave Cleric thrown in to set up the death strike.

4. - Top - End - #4

Kobold

Quote Originally Posted by JackPhoenix View Post
    Step 1: ask your GM if killing gods is possible at all. Mortals can't kill gods in default 5e. Even the fight against Tiamat is only to kick her out of Material Plane, she's perfectly fine afterwards.
    Our games are very homebrew-esque. The DMs in our group all run the same style of game, use the same multiple house rules, and run with a general vibe of "IF you want to do it, and can figure out how, you can." So that would not be a problem.

5. - Top - End - #5
    Ogre in the Playground

HalflingRangerGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Jcp1195 View Post
    Our games are very homebrew-esque. The DMs in our group all run the same style of game, use the same multiple house rules, and run with a general vibe of "IF you want to do it, and can figure out how, you can." So that would not be a problem.
    So Cthulhu-like rituals?
    Trust but verify. There's usually a reason why I believe you can't do something.

6. - Top - End - #6

Kobold

Quote Originally Posted by bid View Post
    So Cthulhu-like rituals?
    Sure, if the need arose.

7. - Top - End - #7
    Orc in the Playground

ClericGirl

I feel like some details on the houserules would help. It sounds like they're pretty significant in how they alter the game. "If you want to do it, and can figure out how, you can" is kind of vague. Can figure out how within the rules? Can figure out a way that makes story-level sense that is justifiable within the narrative? If the houseruling is substantial enough that gods are killable, info on how gods work in general in your setting would help.

8. - Top - End - #8
    Barbarian in the Playground

I'm almost finished with a game that ran till level 40+. Of course homebrew, as normal content is insufficient at 20+. We battled Admodeus, Vecna, Chtulu and a few other Gods. I think next session will be our last. We destroyed the core of the earth and it imploded. We plan to make a new world in the prime material plane. This was all so we could destroy the book of Vile Darkness.

Unfortunately, Palor has the same plan, so we might have a final battle to settle who gets to create their own world. To answer your question, when we hit level 20, we started quests to ascend to God hood ourselves and we each gathered materials to make artifacts to help us kill Gods. Of course this is all in the DMs territory, but that's the best I can recommend given the information I have. Hope it helps :)

9. - Top - End - #9
    Titan in the Playground

Zombie

It's not really necessary for it to be possible for it to be the character's goal. I've right now got a kobold paladin who prays every night to tell Karmultuk or however the kobold god's name is spelled to inform him that his time is limited and he will be hunted and killed by the paladin. Don't have any idea if the DM will ever give the opportunity but that's irrelevant to that being the goal.
    I am the flush of excitement. The blush on the cheek. I am the Rouge!

10. - Top - End - #10
    Banned

Hexblade wielding a god slaying weapon, multiclassed with Paladin of Conquest.

11. - Top - End - #11
    Ogre in the Playground

WolfInSheepsClothing

Quote Originally Posted by Dualswinger View Post
    Mechanically? I'd like to build a character who would be able to drop everything they have into a single attack. When taking on deities it's often the case that Gods are only vulnerable for a brief period of time, if maybe only for a moment, so these single attack builds are what I'd consider to be very fluffy and appropriate for taking them down.

Probably some kind of Hexblade/Paladin multiclass with Grave Cleric thrown in to set up the death strike.
    I'd argue for a Wizard.

So far the best damage in one round I've managed to eke out of a build was a Divination Wizard 17/Assassin 3. Given the time and resources to prepare a "buffing parlor" demiplane filled with Glyphs of Warding, he and his Simulacrum put out enough damage to comfortably kill the Terrasque in one turn. Of course the Terrasque is just a big, dumb sack of hitpoints, so there are likely to be some hoops to jump through to make it work. The build relies on surprise, and while you can suprise the Tarrasque by engaging from outside its 120 foot truesight radius, the same isn't likely true for a God, who is likely nigh-omniscient in his own realm.

But that said, Wizards still have the best bag of tricks for shenanigans, even if the Assassin element doesn't work in this context.

12. - Top - End - #12

MonkGirl

Rogue/Assassin has the absolute highest single damage to a single target in one hit potential; but it is dependent on the target failing a save and getting surprise... neither easy feats when targeting the Powers

13. - Top - End - #13

If you just want to know about classes, I played barb 5, rogue 15 (at higher level I went barb 5, rogue 18, fighter 3 (for extra crit), paladin 7, but I'll assume that is not possible for you).

Another way to go is full wizard and become a lich. Always cool if you are going into an epic campaign. Moon druid is also decent at high levels. Another combo I recommend is going sorlock for metamagic. Wizards are nice, but Counterspell is nasty, subtle spell can save for life. Not to mention you can do some nice dmg output with it.

14. - Top - End - #14

If you’ll accept things like how Bullywugs worship Froghemoths as gods, then being able to slay a given CR 10 creature is much easier to figure out.

The Froghemoth can be easily killed if caught out in the open by someone with flight and Call Lightning. Additonal Party members can kite the perma-slowed “God” and maybe fight-off any Bullywugs.

The various CR 10 Eladrin could be worshipped as gods, one of them can bring back a dead creature each day at no cost. Slaying one of those shouldn’t be impossible to figure out.

Hell, a Couatl is a CR 4 creature that can bestow Lycanthropy on any worshipper, and while they can torment people at great distance with Dream, the utility of the ability is great. Killing some Coautls may be all that is needed to finish off the nearly forgotten “ancient god” who spawned them.

15. - Top - End - #15

OldWizardGuy

Good luck with that. Gods have a hard time killing other Gods. Also Gods have an uncanny way of knowing things ahead of time, so expect that getting divine assistance from any potential target dieties is probably not going to happen in that character's career, and in fact that character may be spurned and tormented by those Gods for capricious reasons.

That said, I'd go with Wizard because you're going to need to be able to master powerful magic to even have a shadow of a chance.
    Last edited by darknite; 2019-05-20 at 07:31 AM.

16. - Top - End - #16

EvilClericGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Sigreid View Post
    It's not really necessary for it to be possible for it to be the character's goal. I've right now got a kobold paladin who prays every night to tell Karmultuk or however the kobold god's name is spelled to inform him that his time is limited and he will be hunted and killed by the paladin. Don't have any idea if the DM will ever give the opportunity but that's irrelevant to that being the goal.
    Sure, but if the goal isn't achievable, it doesn't matter how you build your character. And if the goal is achievable, *how* matters for the character creation. If gods can be beaten up in combat, it'll lead to different character build than if you just need to find specific artifact/ritual, and both would be different from a character who has to eliminate or convert the god's followers to put the deity out of comission. The first would need to be combat monster, the second would be better suited for a spellcaster or skill-based character who's better at finding stuff, and the last one would work best with charismatic character to make the persuasion part work better.

17. - Top - End - #17
    Titan in the Playground

Zombie

Sure, but if the goal isn't achievable, it doesn't matter how you build your character. And if the goal is achievable, *how* matters for the character creation. If gods can be beaten up in combat, it'll lead to different character build than if you just need to find specific artifact/ritual, and both would be different from a character who has to eliminate or convert the god's followers to put the deity out of comission. The first would need to be combat monster, the second would be better suited for a spellcaster or skill-based character who's better at finding stuff, and the last one would work best with charismatic character to make the persuasion part work better.
    I think you'd need a mix of combat and persuasion. After all, the first step is to relegate their worship to the dustbin of history. You would want to convert as many as you can and kill the rest.

18. - Top - End - #18

MonkGirl

Quote Originally Posted by Sigreid View Post
    I think you'd need a mix of combat and persuasion. After all, the first step is to relegate their worship to the dustbin of history. You would want to convert as many as you can and kill the rest.
    I mean... stealing their worshipers to become a God yourself is probably a good third or fourth step... maybe a Glamour/Lore Bard build?

19. - Top - End - #19
    Orc in the Playground

DrowGirl

Quote Originally Posted by Naanomi View Post
    Rogue/Assassin has the absolute highest single damage to a single target in one hit potential; but it is dependent on the target failing a save and getting surprise... neither easy feats when targeting the Powers
    Couple of big IFs for that statement. IF the target is surprised and IF they fail their CON save.

20. - Top - End - #20
    Dwarf in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Dualswinger View Post

If you can get Surprise (possibly with an artifacte that hides you from deities) then I believe this would be the most damage in a single attack.
    Lvl 20 Build
    9 Hexblade for CHA att/dmg, banishing smite, eldritch smite. booming blade, improved PW.
    7 Assasin for auto crit, and sneak attack.
    2 fighter for dueling and action surge.
    2 grace cleric for CD path to grave.

Here is what the turn looks like:
    Action for path to grave, BA Banashing smite(5d10), Action surge Booming blade(3d8) with adv, Eldritch smite(6d8), SA(4d6), weapon dmg 1d8+8. Dice double for crit, and all dmg double because vulnerability giving your single attack an average damage of 376 and a max damage of 632. Also if you drop their HP low enough they'll disappear because of banishing smite.

21. - Top - End - #21

Gods often have resistances and immunities. Great Old Ones can't afford to be in melee, or anywhere close to it. I'd recommend keeping your distance, and staying there. I'd recommend an Eldritch Blast build, grabbing Spell Sniper and 3 levels into Sorcerer. Maybe use your GOO powers to convert some high clergy members to your cause, and your DM might invoke some kind of special bonuses to killing the God (now that you've turned several sections of their church against them).
    Quote Originally Posted by KOLE View Post
    MOG, design a darn RPG system. Seriously, the amount of ideas I’ve gleaned from your posts has been valuable. You’re a gem of the community here.

5th Edition Homebrewery
    Prestige Options, changing primary attributes to open a world of new multiclassing.
    Adrenaline Surge, fitting Short Rests into combat to fix bosses/Short Rest Classes.
    Pain, using Exhaustion to make tactical martial combatants.
    Fate Sorcery, lucky winner of the 5e D&D Subclass Contest VII!

22. - Top - End - #22
    Bugbear in the Playground

NinjaGuy

My suggestion would be unusually powerful magic items. Possibly gifted from other Gods. Think Clash of the Titans with much better gifts than a robot owl. Then you need powers that don’t allow you to have your thoughts read like Goo level ten ability thought shield.

23. - Top - End - #23
    Titan in the Playground

Zombie

Quote Originally Posted by Talionis View Post
    My suggestion would be unusually powerful magic items. Possibly gifted from other Gods. Think Clash of the Titans with much better gifts than a robot owl. Then you need powers that don’t allow you to have your thoughts read like Goo level ten ability thought shield.
    Clearly you need the wave wavemotion gun from Starblazers.

24. - Top - End - #24
    Banned

As always when it comes to single-target anihilation, be it lich, dragon, demi-god or god- nothing beats Sorcadin.

Chose between Shadow Blade Sorcadin or GWM Sorcadin, take 3 levels of Champion to get Action Surge + 19-20 Crits. Take Vengeance for VoE. Go DEX or STR, grab Divine Soul. Proceed to anihilate.

Of course many gods have resistances and immunities to many things, so nothing will be able to fight any god, but if maximum damage to single target is your goal- Sorcadin.
    Last edited by Mitsu; 2019-05-21 at 06:18 PM.

25. - Top - End - #25
    Bugbear in the Playground

NinjaGirl

If I were to actually build a character to kill gods, it would have to be either a bard or a rogue with heavy focus in cha skills. The most effective way to kill gods in a standard D&D setting is to convince people that they're weak or that worshiping a different god would be better.