New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Bugbear in the Playground

PaladinGuy

Default Psychic Weapon Cantrip Help

A fighter with minor Psionic abilities found a way to time his attacks perfectly with a synchronous mental assault, for a cumulative effect.

Any idea what this weapon cantrip would look like, 'cause I'm drawing a blank :X

...actually, this whole "I'm a sorcerer with one level in fighter, but I'm actually more like a psycher from 40k" character concept my friend is going for has me stuck on many things. All tips and suggestions are welcome to help us bring his character to life :D

2. - Top - End - #2
    Dwarf in the Playground

Default Re: Psychic Weapon Cantrip Help

I would model it off of Green Flame Blade and Booming Blade. Cast the spell as an action, make 1 attack as part of it - if you hit you get a rider effect, and at 5, 11, and 17 you get extra damage. As for the rider effect, Vicious Mockery is the only psychic damage cantrip.

Psychic Blade
    Enchantment Cantrip
    Casting Time: 1 action
    Range: 5 feet
    Components: V, M (a weapon)
    Duration: 1 round
    As part of the action used to cast this spell, you must make a melee attack with a weapon against one creature within the spell's range, otherwise the spell fails. On a hit, the target suffers the attack's normal effects, and psionic energy surrounds it until the start of your next turn. If the target makes an attack roll before then, it does so at disadvantage.
    This spell's damage increases when you reach higher levels. At 5th level, the melee attack deals an extra 1d6 psychic damage to the target. The extra damage increases by 1d6 when you reach 11th level (+2d6), and 17th level (+3d6).
    Last edited by theVoidWatches; 2019-05-18 at 09:26 AM.
    Hi, you can call me Void. I prefer she/her or they/them pronouns, please. Yes, "they" is a singular pronoun. I write a superhero webserial called Paternum - check it out!

PEACH My 5e Homebrew, including...

Yet Another Warlock Rewrite (on GiantITP) Playtested Once!

Lycanthrope Base Class (on GiantITP) Contest Winner!

Vampire Base Class (on GiantITP) Full Class!

Inspiration Domain (On GiantITP) In Playtest!

Skinwalker Ranger Subclass (on GiantITP) Silver Medalist!

3. - Top - End - #3
    Librarian in the Playground Moderator

Quote Originally Posted by theVoidWatches View Post
    I would model it off of Green Flame Blade and Booming Blade. Cast the spell as an action, make 1 attack as part of it - if you hit you get a rider effect, and at 5, 11, and 17 you get extra damage. As for the rider effect, Vicious Mockery is the only psychic damage cantrip.

Psychic Blade
    Enchantment Cantrip
    Casting Time: 1 action
    Range: 5 feet
    Components: V, M (a weapon)
    Duration: 1 round
    As part of the action used to cast this spell, you must make a melee attack with a weapon against one creature within the spell's range, otherwise the spell fails. On a hit, the target suffers the attack's normal effects, and psionic energy surrounds it until the start of your next turn. If the target makes an attack roll before then, it does so at disadvantage.
    This spell's damage increases when you reach higher levels. At 5th level, the melee attack deals an extra 1d8 psychic damage to the target. The extra damage increases by 1d8 when you reach 11th level (2d8), and 17th level (3d8).
    This looks very much like what I would suggest. It is, as TVW says, pretty much "Booming Blade/Green Flame Blade with Vicious Mockery as a rider", so it does the job well.
    The Cranky Gamer
    *It isn't realism, it's verisimilitude; the appearance of truth within the framework of the game.
    *Picard management tip: Debate honestly. The goal is to arrive at the truth, not at your preconception.
    *Mutant Dawn for Savage Worlds!
    *The One Deck Engine: Gaming on a budget
    Written by Me on DriveThru RPG
    There are almost 400,000 threads on this site. If you need me to address a thread as a moderator, include a link.

4. - Top - End - #4
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Bjarkmundur View Post
    Any idea what this weapon cantrip would look like, 'cause I'm drawing a blank :X
    Clearly it's a Mind Axe
    Aligaros would be so proud!
    Spoiler: D&D Story: The Legend of the Legendary Aligaros Ashuin!
    Show

5. - Top - End - #5
    Dwarf in the Playground

1 brief revision to the cantrip as I suggested it - the extra damage should be in d6s. Psychic is one of the better damage types, and the rider is powerful.
    Hi, you can call me Void. I prefer she/her or they/them pronouns, please. Yes, "they" is a singular pronoun. I write a superhero webserial called Paternum - check it out!

PEACH My 5e Homebrew, including...

Yet Another Warlock Rewrite (on GiantITP) Playtested Once!

Lycanthrope Base Class (on GiantITP) Contest Winner!

Vampire Base Class (on GiantITP) Full Class!

Inspiration Domain (On GiantITP) In Playtest!

Skinwalker Ranger Subclass (on GiantITP) Silver Medalist!

6. - Top - End - #6
    Dwarf in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by theVoidWatches View Post
    1 brief revision to the cantrip as I suggested it - the extra damage should be in d6s. Psychic is one of the better damage types, and the rider is powerful.
    Psychic is not better than Thunder in most cases, and booming blade uses d8s. You could actually potentially argue Thunder is better, even: they have roughly an equal amount of monsters that take less damage from them (resistance + immunity), however Psychic has way more creatures immune than resistant, while Thunder is the opposite. I think d8s would be fine.

There's also the fact that, unlike every other bladetrip, you don't get bonus damage for an effect.

The main argument I can see is that this is better than Vicious Mockery as d8s - but it's better than Vicious Mockery as d6s, too.
    Check out my homebrew blog, Bando's Homebrew!