Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
  1. - Top - End - #31
    Firbolg in the Playground

Default Re: Deadly Ultimatums.

Quote Originally Posted by darknite View Post
    Example - your 5th level party finds a strange amulet bearing an indecipherable inscription upon it in a dungeon. On the way home flames shoot out of a standing stone at a crossroads and it cracks open to reveal Asmodeus flanked by two pit fiends. Asmodeus offers you a deal, because that's what he does - give him the amulet and you can live, oppose him and your souls will be roasted in the bottom layer of Hell. Hmm, obviously there's something interesting, at least to Asmodeus, about this amulet. Your party can elect to withhold the amulet and face Asmodeus and entourage, or you can give it up and be alive.

Does the party really need to keep the amulet?
    I challenge him to a fiddling contest!
    June 17, 2019: No longer on GITP due to frustrations with forum technology and culture. Find me on Reddit as hemlockR.

2. - Top - End - #32
    Troll in the Playground

EvilClericGuy

Quote Originally Posted by MaxWilson View Post
    I challenge him to a fiddling contest!
    Damm (or, well, not) you, Johnny, not again!

3. - Top - End - #33
    Titan in the Playground

If you want to teach players that choices have meaning, the way to do that is to give them meaningful choices. This is the opposite of that.
    Time travels in divers paces with divers persons.
    As You Like It, III:ii:328

Chronos's Unalliterative Skillmonkey Guide
    Current Homebrew: Blood Warrior Shadow Rider

4. - Top - End - #34
    Pixie in the Playground

First of all I'd just like to thank everyone for the feedback! And I apologise for my near week long absence on this topic. I actually postponed the session for a week (We had a boardgame night instead, great fun!) whilst I thought things over.

I have decided to go a completely different route, put this plot line on a much more slow burn whilst I focus on other things within the campaign. So, for me, this thread has served its purpose and has ultimately changed my mind and broadened my horizons on how I should approach things, so I would like to thank everyone for that!

And on that note, I'm unsure if I'll be checking this thread any further, as I'm attempting to move on from this objectively oppressive train of thought for a DM. I will be putting up a new thread later on for those who wish to help a budding DM explore hooks on how to help my party with tasks that would be deemed the current 'Main Story Objective' if it were your typical RPG video game! So be on the look out for that if you're at all interested.

If not, thank you all once more for the assistance! I truly appreciate it.