1. - Top - End - #1
    Ettin in the Playground

Default Some Starfinder this summer? (Sheets due Friday)

Hey y'all,

I recently picked up the Starfinder rulebook and am interested in seeing how it plays, so thought I'd run a short one-shot that would ideally run over the course of the summer and finish up around August. I'm basing the scope of this adventure on the Pathfinder/Starfinder Society scenarios, which take about four hours in person, so I figure a couple months should be doable given a fairly active posting rate. (I've been away from the forums for a couple years, though, so let me know if I'm being foolhardy.) It'll be a pretty conventional adventureówhat I have planned now opens on the characters stuck in a third-rate prison on a fourth-rate planetóbut feel free to bring as weird and out-there character concepts as suit your fancy. I'll be closing recruitment on Friday (the 24th), and if there's more interest than spots I'll prioritize complete sheets, interesting concepts, and decent posting histories. Let's have some fun doing lasers in space!

Spoiler: Intro
    Show
    That the galactic outpost of New Steven doesn't appear on any maps is a testament to both its relative newness and its utter insignificance. Out at the edge of the Near, it was created some generations ago by a rather self-impressed wizard and has been hurtling on unnoticed ever since. That isn't to say it doesn't get traffic, as its very inconsequence makes it a destination for smugglers, refugees, and those who just want a little peace and quiet. Still, your average traveler would be hard-pressed to find anything of worth on the tiny planet.

You, of course, are not average travelers. But whatever you hoped to find on New Steven, you have instead found yourself examining the inside of one of its surprisingly well-guarded prisons. You are not alone in thisóthe New Steven jails, as out-of-the-way as they are, have proved a remarkably convenient place to stash political prisoners, inconvenient truth-tellers, and other rabble-rousersóbut the outlook is nevertheless grim. Each morning you are greeted by the same plasticine walls, and each night you doze off to the same. Once they hired a traveling magician to come in and do a show, and it was the highlight of most of the inmates' decade.

Needless to say, you don't want to end up like that. But escape may prove difficult, when the only other prisoners you can communicate with are the two or three in the cells facing yours...

System: Starfinder
    Player Count: 3-4
    Style of Play: Depends on the characters, but I want to try at least one over-the-top vehicle chase.
    Allowed Content: Core and Alien Archive (including new playable races)
    Character Creation:
    • Backstory: I don't need a novel, but give me a sense of who your character is, what's important to them, and what they might be in for.
    • Experience: Level 3
    • Wealth: None (you're in prison). If you want, though, you can list items up to WBL (4,000 credits) that would have been confiscated upon your arrest.
    • Ability Scores: By core (10-point buy on a 1:1 ratio)
    • Hitpoints/Health: By core
    • Alignment: Play nice with others please
    Other Notes: In the interest of reaching some kind of conclusion before the start of the school year, I'll try to post once or twice a day, and I'd like you to do the same. If I find that we're still moving too slowly, I may introduce some new rules to speed things up, but I will only do so with consent from all the players. As far as setting and fluff go, feel free to use as much or as little from the books as you like. I may borrow from it (and I'll try to incorporate things from your backstories into the plot in some way), but the adventure itself will be largely self-contained. That is to say: go nuts! I look forward to seeing what y'all come up with.
    Last edited by Plerumque; 2019-05-29 at 02:58 PM.

2. - Top - End - #2
    Orc in the Playground

DrowGirl

Default Re: Some Starfinder this summer?

I would be interested in playing. Got a character half built from another game that never made past recruiting.
    Slate based loosely on Rocket Raccoon using a re-skinned Ysoki.

Edit: Can usually post once a day.
    Last edited by Izzarra; 2019-05-18 at 03:24 PM.
    "Time is an abstract concept created by carbon-based life-forms to monitor their ongoing decay." - Thunderclese

3. - Top - End - #3
    Barbarian in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

I also happen to have a character (I believe from the same game as Izzarra) that should slot in quite well. Ex-military, he turned to vigilantism to deal with some criminals that law enforcement couldn't/wouldn't. Guess he got caught

Cedric Toric, mechanic vigilante man

I can post pretty frequently, multiple times a day unless something comes up

How do implants work in this situation?

Edit: the GM liked the 10 minute background, so here's what I had:

Spoiler: Character Concept
    Show
    1. He was a skilled starship pilot in the planet's/system's military.

2. His current employment is as a computer technician, doing various forms of work, from computer building, to debugging and troubleshooting, to white-collar hacking.

3. He has had his technological implants from childhood, and has never had to be disconnected from an infosphere. The idea of separation scares him, and he avoids situations that'll leave him isolated.

Spoiler: Goals
    Show
    1. He'd like to expand his ability to access connections and improve his implants to the point that he can access anywhere on a planet at a given time. Essentially, he'd like to expand his consciousness into an entire infosphere. With this information, he would be able to track and monitor criminal activity far more effectively, allowing him to protect people better.

2. He'd very much like to gain possession of his own personal starship.

Spoiler: Secrets
    Show
    1. Cedric is a vigilante, although he has no alternative moniker, taking extra steps to avoid entering public consciousness. Tackling criminals that law enforcement can't(or won't) handle, he leaves those he captures tied up in front of government buildings he knows to be uncorrupted, often with evidence obtained using his skill with computers.

Spoiler: Contacts
    Show
    1. Cedric's best friend is a Korasha Lashunta named Kopalo, whom he bonded with during his time in the military. Although currently employed as a pilot in the transportation industry, he makes sure to keep his hand-to-hand combat prowess up to snuff.

Spoiler: Memories
    Show
    1. One of Cedric's earliest memories is waking up after having his augmentation implanted, and feeling his mind expand far beyond what it was.

2. The first time Cedric cracked a computer is firmly lodged in his memory, it felt similar to the rush one gets when they've cracked a clever puzzle. He's been addicted ever since.
    Last edited by Stevesciguy; 2019-05-18 at 03:22 PM.

4. - Top - End - #4

RedWizardGuy

I'd be interested in this. Possibly as a solarian, although I'm definitely not committing to that yet.

5. - Top - End - #5
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Stevesciguy View Post
    I also happen to have a character (I believe from the same game as Izzarra) that should slot in quite well. Ex-military, he turned to vigilantism to deal with some criminals that law enforcement couldn't/wouldn't. Guess he got caught

Cedric Toric, mechanic vigilante man

I can post pretty frequently, multiple times a day unless something comes up

How do implants work in this situation?

Edit: the GM liked the 10 minute background, so here's what I had:

Spoiler: Character Concept
    Show
    1. He was a skilled starship pilot in the planet's/system's military.

2. His current employment is as a computer technician, doing various forms of work, from computer building, to debugging and troubleshooting, to white-collar hacking.

3. He has had his technological implants from childhood, and has never had to be disconnected from an infosphere. The idea of separation scares him, and he avoids situations that'll leave him isolated.

Spoiler: Goals
    Show
    1. He'd like to expand his ability to access connections and improve his implants to the point that he can access anywhere on a planet at a given time. Essentially, he'd like to expand his consciousness into an entire infosphere. With this information, he would be able to track and monitor criminal activity far more effectively, allowing him to protect people better.

2. He'd very much like to gain possession of his own personal starship.

Spoiler: Secrets
    Show
    1. Cedric is a vigilante, although he has no alternative moniker, taking extra steps to avoid entering public consciousness. Tackling criminals that law enforcement can't(or won't) handle, he leaves those he captures tied up in front of government buildings he knows to be uncorrupted, often with evidence obtained using his skill with computers.

Spoiler: Contacts
    Show
    1. Cedric's best friend is a Korasha Lashunta named Kopalo, whom he bonded with during his time in the military. Although currently employed as a pilot in the transportation industry, he makes sure to keep his hand-to-hand combat prowess up to snuff.

Spoiler: Memories
    Show
    1. One of Cedric's earliest memories is waking up after having his augmentation implanted, and feeling his mind expand far beyond what it was.

2. The first time Cedric cracked a computer is firmly lodged in his memory, it felt similar to the rush one gets when they've cracked a clever puzzle. He's been addicted ever since.
    Good question. I would assume the local law enforcement would have a way to disable the more dangerous implants (weapons etc), but others might slip under the radar or not be worth the trouble, and they certainly wouldn't be able to do much to screw with a mechanic's Exocortex. I'd say equip your character with augments as you see fit, and if any of them are either obvious enough to want restraints or would cause a balance issue with the other characters, we'll figure out a way they're disabled and conditions under which that can be undone. Sound fair?
    Icon of Ilsensine by Grinner.

6. - Top - End - #6
    Ogre in the Playground

This seems like some fun, I'll get to work on making a character later today.
    Dresden Character Table

This is what I am called. I am called Glad-of-War, Grim, Raider, and Third. I am One-Eyed. I am also called Highest, and True-Guesser. I am Grimnir, and the Hooded One. I am All-Father, Gondlir, Wand-Bearer. I have as many names as there are winds, as many titles as there are ways to die. My ravens are Huginn and Muninn, Thought and Memory; my wolves are Freki and Geri; my horse is the gallows. I am ODIN

E-A-G-L-E-S SPELLS EAGLES!!!

7. - Top - End - #7
    Orc in the Playground

DrowGirl

I do not see any mention of what level we are starting at. I am assuming level 1, but can we get confirmation.
    "Time is an abstract concept created by carbon-based life-forms to monitor their ongoing decay." - Thunderclese

8. - Top - End - #8
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Izzarra View Post
    I do not see any mention of what level we are starting at. I am assuming level 1, but can we get confirmation.
    Huh, I must have accidentally deleted that line. I was actually thinking level 3; I'll edit the first post.

9. - Top - End - #9

Planetar

I consider submitting an operative, probably a thief whose hands got into the wrong pockets and was sent to prison as a way to make sure he won't spill what he found.

EDIT-tentative build is elf outlaw operative (ghost), who was hired into stealing something WAY above his paygrade. naturally, he was caught and sent to prison.
    Last edited by Heavenblade; 2019-05-19 at 01:50 PM.

10. - Top - End - #10
    Bugbear in the Playground

OrcBarbarianGuy

This seems like it might be interesting. Thinking of trying a mystic outlaw.

11. - Top - End - #11

Tentatively interested, assuming youíre fine with someone new to the game. Starfinder has seemed like a fun alternative to Pathfinder/D&D for a while but I havenít had a chance to give it a whirl yet.

Iíll see what I can pull together from the SRD; am thinking about a Lashunta operative or mystic atm.
    "Ye are who ye are on all o' yer days. All o' em. Includin' that worst an' tha best. Ev'ry single one counts. All tha way ta tha end."

Recently returned from an extended hiatus.
    Spoiler: Extended signatures
    Show
    Both of the following are not up-to-date, but will be in the next few weeks.My Homebrew.
    Extended Signature.

War Doctor avatar by linkele.

12. - Top - End - #12
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Libro View Post
    Tentatively interested, assuming youíre fine with someone new to the game. Starfinder has seemed like a fun alternative to Pathfinder/D&D for a while but I havenít had a chance to give it a whirl yet.

Iíll see what I can pull together from the SRD; am thinking about a Lashunta operative or mystic atm.
    Of courseólike I said, I'm pretty new to the system myself. Welcome!

Everyone: Here's an introduction to the story I have planned, to give you a better understanding of the setting and the circumstances under which the game will begin.

Spoiler: Intro
    Show
    That the galactic outpost of New Steven doesn't appear on any maps is a testament to both its relative newness and its utter insignificance. Out at the edge of the Near, it was created some generations ago by a rather self-impressed wizard and has been hurtling on unnoticed ever since. That isn't to say it doesn't get traffic, as its very inconsequence makes it a destination for smugglers, refugees, and those who just want a little peace and quiet. Still, your average traveler would be hard-pressed to find anything of worth on the tiny planet.

You, of course, are not average travelers. But whatever you hoped to find on New Steven, you have instead found yourself examining the inside of one of its surprisingly well-guarded prisons. You are not alone in thisóthe New Steven jails, as out-of-the-way as they are, have proved a remarkably convenient place to stash political prisoners, inconvenient truth-tellers, and other rabble-rousersóbut the outlook is nevertheless grim. Each morning you are greeted by the same plasticine walls, and each night you doze off to the same. Once they hired a traveling magician to come in and do a show, and it was the highlight of most of the inmates' decade.

Needless to say, you don't want to end up like that. But escape may prove difficult, when the only other prisoners you can communicate with are the two or three in the cells facing yours...

I've added this to the OP, and I've also edited the title of this thread to reflect the fact that sheets are due this Friday. If you don't have a completed level 3 sheet by the time I make the OOC and IC threads (probably around 10am EDT), I'll assume you're no longer interested in playing. If you have any more character-creation questions, though, don't hesitate to ask.

13. - Top - End - #13

OrcBarbarianGuy

Default Re: Some Starfinder this summer? (Sheets due Friday)

Carlos Perigo, Mystic Outlaw

"Oh, man, how'd I get here? Was born on some rinky-dink mining station. It sucked. Soon as I could, I run off and joined the navy to escape the drudgery and the poverty and the boredom. Turns out, the navy's pretty zarking boring, ya know? I'm a pilot, so I was doing all these long-range patrols, looking for smugglers and stuff. You see all sorts of weird stuff out in the void. Ya know, it really makes you think out there. In the eternal nothing. We're all just motes of dust, right? And like all that stuff we stress out about, like polishing buttons and paying taxes and the laws of physics and stuff. I had a revelation. It's all voluntary, man. You don't have to do it if you don't want to, right? Anyway, so I finally found those smugglers. Cool crew, by the way. They really know how to party. We hung out for a bit, and then they paid me the usual bribe, right? So I took the stuff and went to deliver here in my scout, and those zarking bastards threw me in jail! Such gob****e, I never created joinder with these bastards. So I've been here for, uh, wait a second. You guys aren't cops, right? You have to tell me if you're a cop."
    Last edited by dojango; 2019-05-23 at 08:24 PM.

14. - Top - End - #14

NecromancerGuy

Alright, Cedric has been brought up to level 3. He's ready for play, once I get his equipment sorted out. His only augmentation is a datajack

15. - Top - End - #15

OrcBarbarianGuy

Think I got my equipment sorted out. It's his standard issue pilot's survival kit, stored in a bright orange bag labelled (EMERGENCY KIT, NAVAL PROPERTY. UNAUTHORIZED USE FORBIDDEN)

16. - Top - End - #16

WIP sheet for Zhoss, a Lashunta Mystic (Mindbreaker, Scholar theme).

Basic backstory is that he was an orphan, managed to drag himself through education, got adopted into a powerful family of empaths when he started showing psychic talent. Him being a Mindbreaker revealed itself to him and his adopted family after an instructor pushed him too hard (minor injury only). He was disowned and sent to the prison after killing three thieves that tried to mug him at gunpoint (bad PR for a bunch of empaths that work in diplomacy, politics and the judicial system).
    Last edited by Libro; 2019-05-23 at 10:06 PM.
    "Ye are who ye are on all o' yer days. All o' em. Includin' that worst an' tha best. Ev'ry single one counts. All tha way ta tha end."

Recently returned from an extended hiatus.
    Spoiler: Extended signatures
    Show
    Both of the following are not up-to-date, but will be in the next few weeks.My Homebrew.
    Extended Signature.

War Doctor avatar by linkele.

17. - Top - End - #17
    Orc in the Playground

DrowGirl

I have been having a very busy week, I might be able to finish off my character sometime on Friday but there is a good chance that I will not be able to work on it until Monday.

18. - Top - End - #18
    Halfling in the Playground

OldWizardGuy

If there's still room, I would like to participate.

19. - Top - End - #19
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Izzarra View Post
    I have been having a very busy week, I might be able to finish off my character sometime on Friday but there is a good chance that I will not be able to work on it until Monday.
    Quote Originally Posted by artsmythe View Post
    If there's still room, I would like to participate.
    Y'all can have until the end of the day today; I won't be posting the threads until then. Good luck!

20. - Top - End - #20

OldWizardGuy

WIP.

Taeon Quickfinger, Damaya Lashunta, Outlaw, Envoy.

21. - Top - End - #21

OldWizardGuy

I think that does it. Taeon "Quickfinger" Valsari of Absalom Station.

22. - Top - End - #22
    Orc in the Playground

DrowGirl

I got as far as I could with what time I managed to scrounge together. I think I managed to finish the mechanics and I have a chunk of backstory roughed out. Left my drone blank to save time and because I doubt they would allow it in prison. If there is anything missing and I make the cut let me know, I should be able to fill in any blanks on Monday.

Slate

23. - Top - End - #23
    Ogre in the Playground

Whoops I just saw this, can I toss something in later tonight or in the morning? Totally understand if thatís not feasible

24. - Top - End - #24
    Ettin in the Playground

There were few enough applicants that I can take everyone, so I'd like to invite everyone who's posted a sheet (that is, Izzarra, Stevesciguy, dojango, Libro, and artsmythe) to our OOC thread here. Whiskeyjack, I'll keep you in mind if we need an alternate! Thank you all very much, and I hope to see the rest of y'all around some other time.

25. - Top - End - #25
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Plerumque View Post
    There were few enough applicants that I can take everyone, so I'd like to invite everyone who's posted a sheet (that is, Izzarra, Stevesciguy, dojango, Libro, and artsmythe) to our OOC thread here. Whiskeyjack, I'll keep you in mind if we need an alternate! Thank you all very much, and I hope to see the rest of y'all around some other time.
    Thanks, just let me know