New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Halfling in the Playground

Kobold

Default Druid circle of power

I am attempting to make a druid which functions by enhancing their own physical body instead of changing it like how normal wildshape works. After some time trying to make this I've been stuck in the phase of "is this powerful? Is this broken?" And the "this is so messy phase" for quite a while and haven't been able to find myself getting out of that phase at all really. This is probably very far from what it'll be when I'm fully done but I don't really know where to improve it from here so anyone who is willing to help would be amazing.

Anyway here is the subclass - https://homebrewery.naturalcrit.com/share/H1bteau1TN
    Last edited by Mystical-man; 2019-05-19 at 08:41 PM.

2. - Top - End - #2
    Dwarf in the Playground

Default Re: Druid circle of power

Beast State
    Spoiler
    Show
    You can use your bonus action to expend a wild shape to transform into an animal state. In this state you

• lose the ability to cast spells
    • your physical scores are changed to what the state gives you (constitution decreases do not affect the number of hit points you have but constitution increases do)
    • you gain temporary hit points
    • abilities detailed in the animal state.
    This state lasts for 30 minutes and these states are improved at levels 4, 6, 9, 12, 14 and 16. Any weapons you have are absorbed into your body and if you absorb a magic weapon your unarmed strikes gain the abilities of the magic weapon (i.e. if you absorb a +1 item your unarmed strikes gain +1 bonus to attack and damage and become magic weapons.)

Seems legit. Pretty cool. Does your damage die change, or do you still do the damage of the weapon that you sucked up? Or is it 1d4+str/dex punching damage? Also why are they getting so many abilities? Druids gain new features at 2nd, 6th, 10th, and 14th level.

Bear State
    Spoiler
    Show
    Ability Score Changes
    Strength: 16
    Dexterity: 12
    Constitution: 16
    Your strength score increases to 18 at 4th level and then 20 at 9th level.

Temporary Hit Points
    When you change into the bear state you gain 5 temporary hit points for each level you have in druid. This increases to 6 temporary hit points for each level you have in druid at 12th level.

Abilities
    Bear's Endurance
    You can use your bonus action to expend spell slots to gain temporary hit points equal to Xd10 where X is the spell slot's level. This changes to giving you X+1d10 temporary hit points at 14th level

Bear's Strength
    You are counted as a large creature when determining carrying capacity, what you can pull, lift or shove and what attacks you can be affected by (examples include if a creature with size small attempting to grapple you or a attack that knocks you prone if you are size medium or smaller.) This increases to you being counted as huge for these situations at 12th level

Increased Movement Speed
    You gain a extra 10 feet of movement speed.

Trampling Charge
    Prerequisite: 4th level
    When you perform the move action you can expend your bonus action and attempt to trample anyone that gets in your way. You can attempt to move through someone's space by attempting to shove them prone, doing so expends 5 feet of movement speed and once knocked prone you can walk through their space. You can perform this once per beast state change but at 16th level you can use this at will.

Mystical Durability
    Prerequisite: 6th level
    You can add your wisdom modifier to your constitution saving throws while in your bear state.

Bear's Ferocity
    Prerequisite: 16th level
    You can use your bonus action to gain resistance to all nonmagical damage for 1 round.

Temp hit points- Bit odd of an ability. It's a bit weaker then moon druid at low levels and gets better then higher levels. So it's hard to judge if it's balanced but I'm not sure how to do a better job of it.

Bear's endurance- This is a much stronger version of the Moon Druids Combat wild shape feature. I would recommend shaping it around that a bit more (1d8 non-scaling)

Bear's Strength- This is fine until level 12, I don't think the players should be pushing stuff around as if they were storm giants.

Increased movement- Okay this is getting a bit front heavy for a level 2 feature. But sure! +10 movement is fine.

Trampling Charge- 4th level ability is pretty weird man. Should specify what kind of check is needed to knock them prone (str vs str?) also huge boost at level 16 with one to infinite uses.

Mystical Durability- Great! Wonderful feature. Also a 6th level feature so that's good.

Bear's Ferocity- Really big feature in the late game, virtually doubling your hit points. To strong and a tad boring. Not sure how to fix this other than replacing it. Also 16th level feature so not so great.

Eagle State
    Spoiler
    Show
    Ability Score Changes
    Strength: 12
    Dexterity: 16
    Constitution: 12
    Your dexterity score increases to 18 at 4th level and then 20 at 9th level.

Temporary Hit Points
    When you change into the bear state you gain 2 temporary hit points for each level you have in druid.

Abilities
    Enhanced Movement
    You gain a extra 20 feet of movement speed and at 12th level you gain 35 feet of flying speed.

Glide
    you are immune to fall damage and fall at half the speed as normal, additionally for every 5 feet you fall you can move forward 10 feet vertically or horizontally

Movement of the Wind
    You can expend a spell slot to disengage as a bonus action which lasts until you exit beast form. Additionally if you expend more than a 1st level spell slot you can gain a movement speed bonus equal to 5 feet for each level above 1st

Eagle Eyes
    Prerequisite: 4th level
    While in your eagle state your darkvision extends to 120 feet and you can see something 1 mile away with fine detail.

Agile
    Prerequisite: 6th level
    You can add your wisdom modifier to your dexterity saving throws while in your bear state.

Dive
    Prerequisite: 9th level
    When you drop down from 10 feet in the air and land on the ground before making a attack against someone you can make a dive attack which deals 1d10 extra damage. This increases to 2d10 at 14th level

Evasion
    Prerequisite: 16th level
    When you are subjected to an effect that allows you to make a Dexterity saving throw to take only half damage, you instead take no damage if you succeed on the saving throw, and only half damage if you fail.

Temp hit points- Makes you a good bit tougher than other flying creatures late game. Maybe to strong? also says bear, might want to fix that.

Enhanced movement- +20 movement is a bit front loaded so I'd reduce that. +35 flying is fine at level 12.

Glide- Sure! That's fun.

Movement of the Wind- Being a full caster spending a couple spell slots on movement seems fine to me, so you probably don't need "lasts until you exit beast form." The rest of it seems good, maybe cap it off at an additional 25ft of movement.

Eagle Eyes- To good, mixture of Shadow sorcerer and totem barbarian having to get both would be 7 levels. So I would drop the 1 mile thing or make it so the range of darkvision becomes 30ft. (not all races have darkvision).

Agile- Uh says bear but seems reasonable.

Dive- Pretty neat, once you get your fly speed might become a little to spamable

Evasion- This is fine.

Feral Attacker
    Spoiler
    Show

At 6th level, when you make a attack action to make one melee attack against someone you can use your bonus action to perform another melee attack

Honestly really strong on eagle allowing you to spam those dive attacks. Not so broken on bear.

Beastial Mutations
    Spoiler
    Show

At 10th level, your beast states have caused your body to mutate and change more into a beast.

you add +10 feet to your movement speed
    you are not affected by difficult terrain if it is a natural structure
    the amount of feet you can cover with a long jump or high jump is increased by an amount equal to your wisdom modifier
    you can add your wisdom modifier to strength and dexterity checks made outside of combat

I think your already fast enough and probably don't need the base bonus. Second is fine, would make it so your still slowed by magical difficult terrain (unless that's what you mean by natural structure). Third is fine. Fourth is fine.

Beastial Mastery
    Spoiler
    Show

At 14th level, there is no longer a time limit to your beast states and you gain the ability to cast spells in your wildshape outside of combat

Infinite time is fine, but why are you gaining the ability to cast in your wildshape and not your beast state?

Overview
    Spoiler
    Show

So really cool concept your just pumping out way to many abilities. I would recommend following your other thread a bit more. Much less crowded features and more unique.

I understand that all the features are "making" the animal you are suppose to be turning into. This is rambling so all I'm saying is less features.
    Last edited by sleepyhead; 2019-05-21 at 07:48 AM.
    My limited homebrew experience
    oh hey didn't see you there

3. - Top - End - #3

Kobold

just coming back to this after a bit of time and your responses are very valuable. I did feel like it was on the all over the place side of things hence why I was looking for what things I should keep and what things I should throw out. In terms of some of the typos in the document I must give some apologies I was struggling with the building of the main classes so I guess I forgot to delete and change some of the words.

Quote Originally Posted by thisdude901 View Post
    animal state - Seems legit. Pretty cool. Does your damage die change, or do you still do the damage of the weapon that you sucked up? Or is it 1d4+str/dex punching damage? Also why are they getting so many abilities? Druids gain new features at 2nd, 6th, 10th, and 14th level.
    I mainly tried to keep it like that so it was more in line with moon druid's bonuses, moon druid gains bonuses with it's normal subclass features and then they get features from their wildshapes still being buffed from it corresponding with levels. This said I think I'll change it so there's features that just scale with levels directly and you gain them at 2nd, 6th, 10th and 14th level respectively with exceptions of course (a buff to ability scores wouldn't really scale with level unless you do it very specifically.) Also to note you do the same damage (1d6 shortsword makes you deal 1d6 damage) but I am thinking of changing it to not doing that so it fits with the half wildshape aesthetic (small change but something.)

Bear state - Temp hit points- Bit odd of an ability. It's a bit weaker then moon druid at low levels and gets better then higher levels. So it's hard to judge if it's balanced but I'm not sure how to do a better job of it.

Bear's endurance- This is a much stronger version of the Moon Druids Combat wild shape feature. I would recommend shaping it around that a bit more (1d8 non-scaling)

Bear's Strength- This is fine until level 12, I don't think the players should be pushing stuff around as if they were storm giants.

Increased movement- Okay this is getting a bit front heavy for a level 2 feature. But sure! +10 movement is fine.

Trampling Charge- 4th level ability is pretty weird man. Should specify what kind of check is needed to knock them prone (str vs str?) also huge boost at level 16 with one to infinite uses.

Mystical Durability- Great! Wonderful feature. Also a 6th level feature so that's good.

Bear's Ferocity- Really big feature in the late game, virtually doubling your hit points. To strong and a tad boring. Not sure how to fix this other than replacing it. Also 16th level feature so not so great.
    Bear's endurance - yeah lowering this to moon druid healing is the way to go

Bear's strength - wanted this to allow the player to feel super strong but cutting it at higher levels is fine

Trampling charge - I kinda wanted this to be something that fits with how utterly powerful a bear charge could be but I see how weird it is. I'm thinking of changing it to a at will charger style ability where you can just main action dash then bonus action shove which makes it more easier to understand.

Mystical durability - no problems here I suppose

Bear's ferocity - this was meant to be the capstone feature, where moon druids get CR 5 and CR 6 (if they go higher to 18) these guys get something powerful to but replacing it is honestly understandable

Eagle state - Temp hit points- Makes you a good bit tougher than other flying creatures late game. Maybe to strong? also says bear, might want to fix that.

Enhanced movement- +20 movement is a bit front loaded so I'd reduce that. +35 flying is fine at level 12.

Glide- Sure! That's fun.

Movement of the Wind- Being a full caster spending a couple spell slots on movement seems fine to me, so you probably don't need "lasts until you exit beast form." The rest of it seems good, maybe cap it off at an additional 25ft of movement.

Eagle Eyes- To good, mixture of Shadow sorcerer and totem barbarian having to get both would be 7 levels. So I would drop the 1 mile thing or make it so the range of darkvision becomes 30ft. (not all races have darkvision).

Agile- Uh says bear but seems reasonable.

Dive- Pretty neat, once you get your fly speed might become a little to spamable

Evasion- This is fine.
    Yeah sorry about the times it said bear but besides that it seems this overall worked but to refer to the main points

Enhanced movement - maybe changing it to 10 feet bonus and something where you can jump higher would be better, plus being able to have really good jumps could be combined with dive to make you use parkour which is honestly pretty cool

Movement of the wind - capping is probably a good idea to avoid druids that are secretly from star labs

Dive - might add something where you have to stay on the ground after using it so it adds damage but puts you in range

Eagle eyes - I wanted it to capture the essence of eagle sight so I think the seeing from far distances works but darkvision doesn't. That said I might change this entirely

Feral attacker - Honestly really strong on eagle allowing you to spam those dive attacks. Not so broken on bear.
    Yeah I'll just add "once per turn onto dive"

Beastial Mutations - I think your already fast enough and probably don't need the base bonus. Second is fine, would make it so your still slowed by magical difficult terrain (unless that's what you mean by natural structure). Third is fine. Fourth is fine.
    Yeah maybe no base bonus or I might change it to where base movement speed is something only out of your animal state so you still feel like you have beastial abilities. For second I am not gunna add you're still slowed by magical terrain but will define natural structure more so something like a wizard's entangle spell still slows you but a natural fey pond or a demonic forest doesn't.

Beastial Mastery
    Yeah changing that to just pure beast state sorry. Besides that anything else? I put it to out of combat instead of all the time as a way to not give a big buff on top of increases to beast states and allowing you to cast out of combat means you can constantly be in beast state and use it for combat while still casting those sweet utility druid spells.

Overall

Yeah I think decreasing the all over the place of this is a good idea and I'll try to take your complaints into account when designing version 2.

4. - Top - End - #4

Kobold

Okay after some more revisions from this feedback I've attempted to make a more streamlined and passive heavy circle so you don't need to check resources as much to make it easier to play.

https://homebrewery.naturalcrit.com/share/Bkoggcv6N