The Order of the Stick: Utterly Dwarfed
The Order of the Stick: Utterly Dwarfed - Coming in December and available for pre-order now
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #31
    Colossus in the Playground

Default Re: Zodi Plays: Kirby's Dream Land 3 (Pink and Blue Power Hour)

It's time for a return to dream land, as it where.

Zodi Plays: Kirby's Dream Land 3 [3] Precipitation, Parasols, and Pots

Video Length: 20:22

We tackle Level 2's first three stages, which are a significant jump in difficulty all across the board in basically every regard! We show off a few more powers that are all pretty good honestly, and we managed to even get two out of three star-hearts here! Not bad.

Not a lot to actually talk about in these videos now that we can speak with our words, I'm realizing. I could probably try and go indepth on some of the powers and the star-heart puzzles, but I don't actually know if that's needed given we talk about it in game as well? Feel free to provide input on that.

Also worth noting; me and Blue have broke up. It's mutual and important for our growth and there's a chance we'll get back together. We're still best friends and you can expect more Blue in these videos and in general. I just felt you guys should know.

ANYWAY, I hope you all enjoyed! We'll see you all next time.

Corvo-Zodi by Cuthalion. I'm not a murderer, I'm a good person! *kills everyone*
    Sig Banner by Pinkhaired August. No Regrets.

2. - Top - End - #32
    Ogre in the Playground

Can I just have an appreciation for how many 2s made it into the 2nd world video time?

Yeah, Kirby isn't really a game that one can go in depth to a lot of the time - for the most part, what you see is exactly what you get. So, having a little less commentary here is to be expected. Especially when you have someone to bounce more conversation off of.

Won't really comment on your guys' personal lives, but, glad at least that it's not really gonna cause awkwardness. I've seen that happen far too often, so, happy to know that two player shenanigans can still happen.

3. - Top - End - #33
    Titan in the Playground

Noooo! Lovey-dovey Zodi & Blue was the highlight of my 2019! Is there no goodness left in the world?!?
    Chibi Sora by zheida!

Spoiler: Acclaim
    Show
    Winner of Spellbrew Contest I & Subclass Contest II
    Quote Originally Posted by JNAProductions View Post
    That is the perfect ending. Thread done, Ninja_Prawn won.
    Quote Originally Posted by KorvinStarmast View Post
    We love our ninja prawn.
    Quote Originally Posted by Professor Gnoll View Post
    NinjaPrawn, you are my favourite.
    Quote Originally Posted by Sir cryosin View Post
    Ninja you're like the forum's fairy godmother.
    Quote Originally Posted by ThinkMinty View Post
    This is why you're the best, Ninja Prawn.
    Spoiler: PbP
    Show

Homebrew: Sig, MHP

4. - Top - End - #34

Literally signing my ass on from work to assure you NOT to worry, our breaking up likely won't change our commentary chemistry at all, given this and the next video were made after said break up (more or less).

And again, we're still friends and going to do what we need to to rebuild our relationship. So don't worry, there is still good and precious things in this world (and much of them are Blue).

edited to add: there's a lot of fun things you can read into with this situation regarding parasocial relationships, since this, literally this, is the only thing that could ever get me to sign on from work ever, and it really speaks to how that parasocial nature reflects both in the fans and in oneself.

My point being you're all good people and thanks for the support. Don't worry, we (as in me and Blue) will be hanging in there.
    Last edited by LaZodiac; 2019-06-03 at 03:06 PM.

Corvo-Zodi by Cuthalion. I'm not a murderer, I'm a good person! *kills everyone*

5. - Top - End - #35
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Ninja_Prawn View Post
    Noooo! Lovey-dovey Zodi & Blue was the highlight of my 2019! Is there no goodness left in the world?!?
    Hey, there's still six months to go and make more highlights. Work to earn happiness. Or just go out and buy a highlighter, I guess.

Quote Originally Posted by LaZodiac View Post
    Don't worry, we (as in me and Blue) will be hanging in there.
    All this is giving me the mental image of is the each of you hanging onto one of Kirby's feet as he flies through the air, Helper-style.

6. - Top - End - #36
    Firbolg in the Playground

Zodi is still the best and most wonderful person ever and I really love her and Im really sorry that I cant be with her right now due to personal issues. Im going to try my best to become a person worthy of her. In the meantime, you guys give her lots of love, okay?

Blue Ghost, Lawful Good generalist wizard, at your service.
    Love wins. S'agapo.

I make MtG cards. My portfolio

7. - Top - End - #37
    Ogre in the Playground

Don't worry, I don't think any of us are planning on going anywhere. And I sincerely hope that you manage to get to be where you feel comfortable with yourself as a person. I know it's not really my place, but I've sure as heck gone through personal issues myself, and I know that you have to be able to be happy with yourself before you can really do anything else. So, best of luck with whatever you have to do to make things work for yourself.

8. - Top - End - #38

Quote Originally Posted by DataNinja View Post
    All this is giving me the mental image of is the each of you hanging onto one of Kirby's feet as he flies through the air, Helper-style.
    This is fanart worthy.

Quote Originally Posted by Blue Ghost View Post
    Zodi is still the best and most wonderful person ever and I really love her and Im really sorry that I cant be with her right now due to personal issues. Im going to try my best to become a person worthy of her. In the meantime, you guys give her lots of love, okay?
    A powerfully good man.

9. - Top - End - #39
    Ogre in the Playground

This is fanart worthy.
    Unfortunately, the most you'd be able to get from me would be a blue and a purple stick figures holding onto a pink circle. My art is... spectacularly bad. (And, as art/computer class taught me, has a habit of self-destructing, corrupting, or otherwise somehow getting ruined - thankfully mostly after marking - to such a degree that I feel like I'm cursed.)

(On the plus side, at least, it has the side effect of making anyone feel better about their own. )

10. - Top - End - #40
    Titan in the Playground

Perhaps this weekend.
    Quote Originally Posted by jamieth View Post
    ...though Talla does her best to sound objective and impartial, it doesn't cover stuff like "ask a 9-year-old to tank for the party."
    My Homebrew

11. - Top - End - #41

Onwards, to the rest of world two!

Zodi Plays: Kirby's Dream Land 3 [4] Frogs, Family, and Faces

Video Length: 37:04

This one is a little longer than you'd typically expect, because oh boy it turns out world 2's levels are hella long huh! Starting us off we've got a level that requires us to find the right path so we can acquire a baby frog, the next level is an out and out MAZE where you must find Pitch and bring him to his mother (when we do go to do this I may just cheat and bring Pitch from the next level) and the last one is a rather difficult area where the star-heart puzzle is actually really interesting and cool, though simple since it just involves an understanding of shapes. It occurs to me that, comparing world 1 and 2, the star-hear challenges are basically all the same, give or take, and that's neat. There's minor differences here and there, but ultimately it asks the same stuff of us.

With that done, it's time for the boss of world 2, Acro! Much like the rest of world 2, this is a water boss... mostly. The first half is super easy, as long as you aren't absolutely distracted and paniced because you forgot how to fish, but the second half is a bit harder due to it being underwater and auto-scrolling! Acro spits out skulls and rocks and baby whales, which can all be sent back at him if you hit them with bubbles from Kirby (or, blessedly, if Gooey eats them) and he also spews out bouncing anchors of death that can really put the hurt on you. This boss is SURPRISINGLY hard, and honestly given the length of the levels in this world and the difficulty of Acro, I'd call this like a world 4 or 5, not a world 2! That said, the boss fight goes VERY well, in all the ways that I feel matter, so I hope you enjoy that.

And I hope you enjoyed this video. We'll see you again next time, for world three!

12. - Top - End - #42
    Ogre in the Playground

I'll be honest. I actively loathe water levels in Kirby. It tends to take the bright visuals and gloom them down a bit. It takes the floaty gameplay, and insert awkward controls (if there are just a few bubbles in the air, it can be fun to jet up through em, admittedly). And, most of all, it pretty much neuters essentially your entire powerset. I don't play Kirby just to have a single tiny jet of water as my ability.

Singular water parts of stages? Sure, I can deal. But, ugh, whole water stages just suuuuuck to me. And that boss looks awful introducing a mechanic you've never seen before, with no explanation, and awkward rebound controls.

13. - Top - End - #43
    Titan in the Playground

Singular water parts of stages? Sure, I can deal. But, ugh, whole water stages just suuuuuck to me
    Welcome to video gaming, I'll be your guide, over on the left you can see 11 year olds shouting obscenities that they really shouldn't know yet, straight ahead you'll see braindead idiot ADCs blaming every other laner for their inability to get more than 2cs per minute (true story), on your right...
    Last edited by HalfTangible; 2019-06-07 at 01:28 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Keld Denar View Post
    +3 Girlfriend is totally unoptimized. You are better off with a +1 Keen Witty girlfriend and then appling Greater Magic Make-up to increase her enhancement bonus.
    Everything is going according to plan. And by that I mean the plan has changed like 3 times in the last year but now I have it written down and the new plan is going well!.

Primal ego vos, estis ex nihilo

Extended Sig

Brother of Battle by Emperor Ing

14. - Top - End - #44
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by HalfTangible View Post
    Welcome to video gaming, I'll be your guide, over on the left you can see 11 year olds shouting obscenities that they really shouldn't know yet, straight ahead you'll see braindead idiot ADCs blaming every other laner for their inability to get more than 2cs per minute (true story), on your right...
    I mean, it's not all water levels that I hate. Water levels in Mario platformers? I like those - you're exchanging horizontal flexibility for added vertical range, and the powerups you get still work there. They're generally not the best levels, but they don't take away the core mechanics of the character in the way that I feel water does for Kirby.

15. - Top - End - #45

I mean, it's not all water levels that I hate. Water levels in Mario platformers? I like those - you're exchanging horizontal flexibility for added vertical range, and the powerups you get still work there. They're generally not the best levels, but they don't take away the core mechanics of the character in the way that I feel water does for Kirby.
    Yeah, I agree pretty heavily on this. Water levels are pretty counter to a lot of what Kirby IS. You can't fly, you can't suck in stuff, most of your powers don't work and if they do they're gonna be slower and weaker. Water is so crippling to the little puff ball!

16. - Top - End - #46
    Titan in the Playground

*shrug* I'm saying water levels in general are usually pretty bad in vidya, not that all of them are.
    +3 Girlfriend is totally unoptimized. You are better off with a +1 Keen Witty girlfriend and then appling Greater Magic Make-up to increase her enhancement bonus.
    Everything is going according to plan. And by that I mean the plan has changed like 3 times in the last year but now I have it written down and the new plan is going well!.

Extended Sig

17. - Top - End - #47
    Ogre in the Playground

*shrug* I'm saying water levels in general are usually pretty bad in vidya, not that all of them are.
    Sure, because generally they're a complete gameplay shift. And the further the shift, the worse they usually are - hence my loathing for Kirby ones, because, as mentioned, you're basically removing all the Kirbybilities.

18. - Top - End - #48
    Titan in the Playground

Sure, because generally they're a complete gameplay shift. And the further the shift, the worse they usually are - hence my loathing for Kirby ones, because, as mentioned, you're basically removing all the Kirbybilities.
    It is almost always a downgrade to have to go slower except in areas where movement is forced (currents and waterfalls), be in an environment that you can only survive in for brief periods (air), and more often than not lose most of your combat ability. Also, a lot of games love to add water levels to their water levels (as in, raising and lowering the water is part of the level) and it can get *ridiculous*.

Extended Sig

19. - Top - End - #49

*stumbles into frame, nearly falls over* new video!

Zodi Plays: Kirby's Dream Land 3 [5] Mushrooms, Mops, and Math

Video Length: 29:51

In this exciting episode, we head into world 3, after I finally fix the game saving issue we were having (ooops!). World 3 is, like Blue says, where things start getting serious, and I think that's actually true here as well, even if world 2 was full of lengthy, pretty tricky levels. Of note, we've FINALLY seen the, at least I believe, last power in the game; ice! I'll be sure to show off all the power combos eventually, don't worry, but for now know that we've seen at least every base power.

As for the tasks we have to perform in these levels, they're actually pretty unique. Intuiting the mushroom one is fun, figuring out how to do the cleaning one can be a little tricky but I think is also pretty intuitive. The counting one we had to do was kind of crazy and rude since there's no real way to prepare for that unless you know in advance what's going on, and while I did know I was also distracted so we kinda goofed it on that one.

But yeah, hope you all enjoyed! We'll see you all next time!

20. - Top - End - #50
    Ogre in the Playground

Pshhhh it's not a deadline if you don't almost kill yourself trying to make it at least once, right?

Those spiders are still super-creepy.

21. - Top - End - #51

Emphasis on the dead given how many times I got beaten up in this one.

22. - Top - End - #52
    Ogre in the Playground

Emphasis on the dead given how many times I got beaten up in this one.
    I don't know what you mean. I saw you guys do it first try. Clearly.

23. - Top - End - #53
    Titan in the Playground

I don't know what you mean. I saw you guys do it first try. Clearly.
    Get some DataGlasses.

Extended Sig

24. - Top - End - #54
    Ogre in the Playground

Get some DataGlasses.
    I try, but it's hard to find some that fit my oculars at times.
    Also, they tend to be rose-coloured. I'm sure it's fine, though.

25. - Top - End - #55
    Titan in the Playground

This is fanart worthy.
    Ding!
    ...though Talla does her best to sound objective and impartial, it doesn't cover stuff like "ask a 9-year-old to tank for the party."
    My Homebrew

26. - Top - End - #56
    Titan in the Playground

"Wait, you're a ghost, why do you need Kirby to f-"
    "Shhh!"

Extended Sig

27. - Top - End - #57

This art is beautiful and inspiring.

28. - Top - End - #58
    Firbolg in the Playground

Beautiful.

When will (when will)
    When will (when will)
    Our wings flutter as we fly together
    A marathon
    For you and I
    Dreaming as we race across the sky

Blue Ghost, Lawful Good generalist wizard, at your service.
    Love wins. S'agapo.

I make MtG cards. My portfolio

29. - Top - End - #59
    Ogre in the Playground

Very impressive!
    (And better than even my imagination could do justice to. )

30. - Top - End - #60
    Titan in the Playground

I still need to learn to do any kind of shading.
    My Homebrew