The Order of the Stick: Utterly Dwarfed
The Order of the Stick: Utterly Dwarfed - Coming in December and available for pre-order now
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234
  1. - Top - End - #91
    Colossus in the Playground

Default Re: Zodi Plays: Kirby's Dream Land 3 (Pink and Blue Power Hour)

Quote Originally Posted by Qwertystop View Post
    Was waiting for someone to post this. It's so cute~

Corvo-Zodi by Cuthalion. I'm not a murderer, I'm a good person! *kills everyone*
    Sig Banner by Pinkhaired August. No Regrets.

2. - Top - End - #92

It's time... for the finale(?)

Zodi Plays: Kirby's Dream Land 3 [10] Flat, Feline, and Feathers

Video Length: 35:26

In this exciting episode... we really only actually have one stage. Like what has kind of sort of become Kirby tradition, the last two stages of the game are an enemy and miniboss in review. This is usually regulated to the special levels in modern Kirby, but here it's just a part of the main game itself. It's interesting. It also means, length aside, these levels are really easy. Truthfully, aside from a few stand out levels, I don't think any world is as hard as world 3 is (the last level of World 3 specifically as an indicator of what is genuinely too hard). Everything else is kinda easy, or Difficult But Doable if going for the star-heart. Again, with some exceptions, and you'll see next time.

Beyond that, we go fight King Dedede himself! He uh... seems a little out of it though. He fights basically how you would expect Dedede to go, except once you take down his lifebar... he reveals himself to be possessed by Dark Matter! He gets a really unsettling stomach eye that can turn into a mouth and he makes weird, cool noises and overall, it's a really good final boss in terms of aesthetic and such. We beat him, saving the day, and playfully trundle back home as we think about all the people we beat up on our journey... only for a legitimately terrifying image to appear at the end, a horrifying visage that tells us in no uncertain terms; we need to get 100% clear to beat the game proper. This isn't the first Kirby to do this, but it's the first Kirby to do so in a way that probably could traumatize a child.

With that in mind... I hope you all enjoyed! We'll see you all next time for what is going to be the star-heart collection run! I highly, HIGHLY recommend you watch it, for a variety of reasons I'll detail when I post it on Friday. Trust me.

Corvo-Zodi by Cuthalion. I'm not a murderer, I'm a good person! *kills everyone*

3. - Top - End - #93
    Ogre in the Playground

Huh, doesn't feel like we should be at the "end" already - despite the fact that it's perfectly normal Kirby length. Mario's 8 worlds have probably spoiled me in that regards.

It really seems like a decent Kirby game, but could possibly do with a little more 'polish' to make completing some tasks easier - mostly with the making it a little harder to lose powerups, and increasing the amount of stars/debris from minibosses when powerless. But, all in all, it still looks really well put together.

And, as always, there's an unnerving end... and then an even more unnerving final thing.

I dunno why you'd think people'd come all this way and not watch the last video, though.

4. - Top - End - #94

Quote Originally Posted by DataNinja View Post
    Huh, doesn't feel like we should be at the "end" already - despite the fact that it's perfectly normal Kirby length. Mario's 8 worlds have probably spoiled me in that regards.

It really seems like a decent Kirby game, but could possibly do with a little more 'polish' to make completing some tasks easier - mostly with the making it a little harder to lose powerups, and increasing the amount of stars/debris from minibosses when powerless. But, all in all, it still looks really well put together.

And, as always, there's an unnerving end... and then an even more unnerving final thing.

I dunno why you'd think people'd come all this way and not watch the last video, though.
    Because the collection of the star-hearts is it's own video and will be over an hour.

5. - Top - End - #95
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by LaZodiac View Post
    Because the collection of the star-hearts is it's own video and will be over an hour.
    Including or not including the boss rematches?
    Official Founder of the Defenders of the Kitsune, Nekomata, Tengu, Tanookie and Mujina. Please leave the Real World at the door.

6. - Top - End - #96

Quote Originally Posted by jindra34 View Post
    Including or not including the boss rematches?
    Including. It'll be nice to see how we've grown playing the game though, at least!

7. - Top - End - #97

*Maniacal laugh*

A Taste Of: Nefarious

Video Length: 21:34

It's time for an A Taste Of! On today's plate is Nefarious, an indie game made by (in part, not completely) by the person who made Brawl in the Family. And it shows! This game is super cute looking, with hilarious writing and interesting gameplay that is a reverse of the norm in all the most interesting ways. I've actually um, 100% beat the game in the time it took for this video to get posted, and suffice to say without spoiling things Nefarious is a game that GOES places.

Sadly, no one actually bought it. The game isn't actually that good, so any chances of a sequel went up in smoke... for good or ill, as the main creator has started creating a webcomic sequel to the game, which has heavy HEAVY spoilers, I cannot stress enough how this game genuinely has spoilers if you care to read the comic. I uh, personally thing the comic might get a LITTLE too dark, even though it captures the same comedy perfectly.

But yeah. That's Nefarious. You can find it on all major consoles and Steam if you want to give it a look yourself. I hope you all enjoyed, I'll see you all next time.

8. - Top - End - #98
    Ogre in the Playground

This definitely looks like a game that has a great aesthetic, and I love the humour... but, from what I've seen, the game portion looks to rather kinda, well... suffer for it. It doesn't really look all that easy or fluid to control.

9. - Top - End - #99

Truth be told, this is true. Not helped by the fact that it gets kind of hard at times!

There's a reason the creator is making a webcomic sequel as opposed to anything else.

10. - Top - End - #100
    Ogre in the Playground

There's a reason the creator is making a webcomic sequel as opposed to anything else.
    I figured that was the case. There are some ideas that sound good on paper, but end up actually being rather awkward...

11. - Top - End - #101

It can be strong, and sudden, and even cruel. But it might save your life.

Zodi Plays: Kirby's Dream Land 3 [11] The Power of Love

Video Length: 50:07

In this episode, we replay basically 40% of the entire game, give or take! This isn't actually as difficult as it appears, since we know the levels and know what we need to do in them, so ultimately it doesn't take us nearly as long to do as you'd expect. In fact, while in normal recordings three levels took us nearly half an hour on average, doing all but world 5 took us about 40 minutes. So we've improved quite a bit, I think!

Truthfully, the only actual difficult challenges are the one in world 3 that we already did, bringing Nago to his girlfriend through an entire gauntlet of enemies we've seen throughout the game, and getting Rick to his girlfriend which is probably the single most frustrating, nerve wracking thing I've ever done in a game. Without spoiling it, I HIGHLY recommend you watch this video through to the end just to see how the Rick Girlfriend Run goes with us. It's um... very good, I believe. And also the first recorded instance of something I'd consider iconic about yours truly.

Anyway, I hope you all enjoyed! We'll see you all next time... for the finale.

12. - Top - End - #102
    Troll in the Playground

So with the Rick section: If Kirby flies high enough, goey on rick will warp back to kirby before he hits the bottomless pit death section, you actually saw that ONCE in the run. So its not as bad as (if you are willing to abuse the game) as it could be. Also man the breakdown. Rick and Robot are definitely worth the abuse on though.
    Official Founder of the Defenders of the Kitsune, Nekomata, Tengu, Tanookie and Mujina. Please leave the Real World at the door.

13. - Top - End - #103
    Ogre in the Playground

That was... definitely a thing. An experience.

14. - Top - End - #104
    Bugbear in the Playground

That was... definitely a thing. An experience.
    It very much was.
    Spoiler: Pixel avatar and Raincloud Durkoala were made by me. The others are the work of Cuthalion.
    Show

Cuteness and Magic and Phone Moogles, oh my! Let's Watch Card Captor Sakura!Sadly on a small hiatus.

Durkoala reads a book! It's about VR and the nineties!

15. - Top - End - #105

It's time for the final land of dreams.

Zodi Plays: Kirby's Dream Land 3 [12] [FINALE] Z E R O

Video Length: 12:26

In this one, we leap into the Hyper Zone, the core of the darkness infesting Popstar, and face off against Dark Matter itself! With the power of all the star-hearts we acquired, we've obtained the Love-Love Stick, with the power to shoot out concentrated love at anything! You can also whack people pretty hard with it. Functionally it's basically the same as the Star Rod and such, having a slightly stronger physical swing attached to the shooting attack. Gooey, meanwhile, activates his Dark Matter abilities and gains the little flight orbs, and can shoot out stars. I like that, combined, we shoot out both aspects of the star-hearts, that's fun.

But yes, as said, it's time to fight Dark Matter. It fights how you'd expect given Dream Land 2, flying around shooting it's lightning bolts and flight orbs as a homing shot. If you've got two players this is actually surprisingly easy to bait into a pattern of lightning shots that you can easily take advantage of. However, much like in Dream Land 2, after taking enough abuse the Dark Matter breaks apart... but unlike in Dream Land 2, it doesn't become some alternate battle form like Dark Matter Blade. Instead... we fight the core of Dark Matter itself. Zero.

Zero is... a very hard boss, I feel. It's massive for one, and one of it's attacks is just kinda moving forward in a way that can be quite difficult to dodge given Kirby and Gooey are not quite as fast as you'd think. His other attacks are just as dangerous, the first one being to summon up a bunch of mini-Dark Matters that have some slight homing on them. You can lead the shots here, so it's not that bad. The second attack is... opening up cuts along his giant eyeball shaped body to shoot blasts of blood at you, which are thankfully non-homing and thus fairly easy to dodge, but be careful because they're wider then you'd imagine. Zero's third, and final move, is to zoom off screen and do an aimed fly-by, shooting a bunch of blood directly at Kirby. It's easy to dodge as long as you keep moving.

Once you've put enough pressure on Zero, it proceeds to... um... look, Kirby has a History, here. Kirby games, ever since the second one, have always had a tendency to be cute and fluffy and wonderful, and then right at the end slide in some surprisingly dark stuff. Kirby's Adventure had Nightmare, who looked pretty creepy but was otherwise not THAT spooky (beyond his death scream). Dream Land 2 had Dark Matter Sword, which is intimidating sure but not SCARY. Kirby's Super Star was released before Dream Land 3 and it's final boss is a horrifying eldritch goblin boy. But then we have Zero. Zero is the true start of the "Kirby is light and fluffy and cute and then suddenly horrifying" trend. Because once we've defeated Zero... it's pupil explodes out in an extremely graphic and bloody fashion, and then we have to fight the so-called Zero Core, which is a floating bloody pupil shooting blood spray at us. It follows Kirby relentlessly, trying to slam into him repeatedly, and is actually REALLY challenging. And since you have to restart the ENTIRE fight if you die, it can be frustrating to get this far just to die. Thankfully, the power of love and friendship beats all.

And with that, Kirby's Dream Land 3 is finished! We get together with all our friends, no longer horribly possessed by evil, and have a nice picnic while Adeline draws cute crayon pictures of everyone. The contrast is palpable. The end.

------

So yeah, that's the end of Kirby's Dream Land 3, both the game and this LP. I really hope you've all enjoyed. Me and Blue put our final thoughts in the video, but I can say again that this was a WONDERFUL experience. Beyond all the occasional difficulty complaints, beyond the absurdity of Sand Canyon's final stage, beyond the star-heart run that quite clearly shattered me, this was one of the funniest video series I've ever done. Doing it co-commentary was a little tricky, and there's still some stuff I'd like to work out in the future before doing another, but that's something we'll work on.

For now, I'd like to once thank everyone who is watching these videos, and especially those who support me on Patreon. It's really appreciated guys, thank you. I truly hope you had a good time watching these. And I hope you're ready... because next time, on the 15th of July, it's time... for rats. Next time on Zodi Plays; DISHONORED.

16. - Top - End - #106
    Ogre in the Playground

...not gonna lie, the first I saw the Love-Love stick, I thought it was a Carrot.

Also, I'd heard about this fight, and how apparently when it was finally evaluated it got the ratings people to bump up the rating... but, even knowing what to expect... yeah. It's a little disturbing. And would be moreso to anyone who didn't know what was coming.

Nothing really much else to comment on, but it was fun. And glad we didn't need a death counter. Because it was all done first try.

17. - Top - End - #107

...not gonna lie, the first I saw the Love-Love stick, I thought it was a Carrot.

Also, I'd heard about this fight, and how apparently when it was finally evaluated it got the ratings people to bump up the rating... but, even knowing what to expect... yeah. It's a little disturbing. And would be moreso to anyone who didn't know what was coming.

Nothing really much else to comment on, but it was fun. And glad we didn't need a death counter. Because it was all done first try.
    Yeah. We're the best at video games *poses*

Incidently now that we've seen the big giant horror-eyeball, y'all know what my avatar is now.

18. - Top - End - #108
    Ogre in the Playground

Yeah. We're the best at video games *poses*

Incidently now that we've seen the big giant horror-eyeball, y'all know what my avatar is now.
    Wait, can you have two 'the best's? Because, strictly speaking, you can only have one person better than all others...

And I know what it was before... the fight just happens to make things more... visceral.

19. - Top - End - #109
    Titan in the Playground

For all that the blood is the thing people go on about, I think the blistering mini-matters are worse.
    Quote Originally Posted by jamieth View Post
    ...though Talla does her best to sound objective and impartial, it doesn't cover stuff like "ask a 9-year-old to tank for the party."
    My Homebrew

20. - Top - End - #110

I'm here to tell you about the Avenger's initiative.

A Taste Of: The Mummy Demastered

Video Length: 16:12

More inspired by the Boris Carloff movie than the Brendan Fraiser movie, The Mummy (Dark Universe version) is genuinely one of the worst films I have ever had the displeasure of looking at with my eyeballs. It's utterly miserable in every single way you could possibly imagine times like two. The fact that they made Russell Crowe play Dr Jekyll and Mr Hyde as their ****ing Nick Fury wannabe and still failed is a tragic example of how awful this film really is. And that's before we get into the squicky **** about how Tom Cruise kills The Mummy.

This game, meanwhile, is barely related to the film beyond making use of Dr Jekyll's organization (seeing Russel Crowe's face in 2D sprite art is beautiful) and making use of the titular Mummy in question. It's a Metroidvania game made by Wayforward that's really good with stylish as hell sprite art. I haven' played much of it since recording this due to other reasons (100% clearing Nefarious, falling into FFXIV's rabbit hole) but it's a fun, interesting game. The way our Generic Soldier Man just YEETS grenades is kinda glorious.

That all being said; I hope you enjoyed! I'll see you all next time, for when we ACTUALLY begin Dishonoured.

21. - Top - End - #111
    Ogre in the Playground

I like how the game tells you as you're going through the first time through the tutorial area exactly where the enemies will spawn. It's really a nice touch with the zombies.

That's all I really have to comment on, but it looks neat.

22. - Top - End - #112
    Titan in the Playground

Locusts are, indeed, super-powered grasshoppers.
    Quote Originally Posted by jamieth View Post
    ...though Talla does her best to sound objective and impartial, it doesn't cover stuff like "ask a 9-year-old to tank for the party."
    My Homebrew

23. - Top - End - #113

Sneaky sneaky time.

Dishonored is here.

24. - Top - End - #114
    Bugbear in the Playground

Oklahoma, where the air elementals carry brooms

The main thing I've heard about The Mummy: Demastered, for better or worse, is the Souls-esque death mechanic.

When your soldier dies, he/she canonically dies. You then play an identically dressed soldier, sent in with just the starter rifle and 99 health, and have to fight your way back to the room with your predecessor, who is now a zombie with all of your upgrades. You have to re-kill them and take back your stuff.

It's a novel idea, but it means dying is more and more painful the farther you progress so either you love it or you hate it.

25. - Top - End - #115

Quote Originally Posted by Toric View Post
    The main thing I've heard about The Mummy: Demastered, for better or worse, is the Souls-esque death mechanic.

When your soldier dies, he/she canonically dies. You then play an identically dressed soldier, sent in with just the starter rifle and 99 health, and have to fight your way back to the room with your predecessor, who is now a zombie with all of your upgrades. You have to re-kill them and take back your stuff.

It's a novel idea, but it means dying is more and more painful the farther you progress so either you love it or you hate it.
    Feel free to post this in the new LP thread so more people see it because holy **** that's actually really cool.