New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Orc in the Playground

Default Pathfinder-to-3.5 translation request

My DM has given me permission to use the Golden Legionnaire PrC from Pathfinder in a 3.5 campaign. He's letting me gain levels in the class mostly as-written, but there are a couple of small issues which need to be translated into 3.5-ese.

Defy Danger (Ex)
    A Golden Legionnaire gains a +2 bonus on saving throws against one of the following dangers: charms and compulsions, curses, diseases, fear, poisons, traps, or the innate magical powers (spell-like abilities and supernatural abilities not gained from class levels) of one creature type (and subtype, if applicable) chosen from the ranger favored enemy list. At 5th level and again at 9th level, a Golden Legionnaire gains an additional +2 bonus against a different danger; alternatively, he can increase the bonus against a previously selected danger by 2.

Legion Feats: A Golden Legionnaire gains the following bonus feats at the prescribed levels, even if he doesn’t meet the prerequisites: 2nd level-Stand Still, 4th level-Bodyguard, 6th level-In Harm’s Way, 8th level-Swift Aid. If he already has the feat for a given level, he can instead take any other Combat feat whose prerequisites he meets.

Intercept (Ex)
    At 2nd level, a Golden Legionnaire gains a bonus equal to half his class level on combat maneuver checks when using the Stand Still feat, and gains the same bonus to his CMD when an opponent attempts an Acrobatics check to move through a square he threatens.
    How can I translate the bonus feats into something compatible with 3.5 rules? My brother suggested I make Stand Still a bull rush check and make the bonus apply to that specifically, and have it just raise the DC of Tumble checks to move through their threatened space. But how much should it increase those DCs? What seems fair/balanced to you?
    My Homebrew Projects

Crossroads: The New World - Tribes, colonists, trade confederacies, and empires both new and old collide in an alt-history North America, circa 1750 A.D. (On the road to publication!)

Author of Motor City Breakdown, Co-Author & Accuracy Consultant for Ashes of the Motor City
    Major Contributor, Tenebrous Seas Wiki

2. - Top - End - #2
    Barbarian in the Playground

RedWizardGuy

Default Re: Pathfinder-to-3.5 translation request

Stand Still is also from 3.5, from the XPH. AFB, can’t check how comparable it is, but look here:

http://www.d20srd.org/srd/psionic/ps...htm#standStill

3. - Top - End - #3
    Spamalot in the Playground

Default Re: Pathfinder-to-3.5 translation request

3.5 Stand Still should be fine here. It's a bit weaker (two rolls instead of one) but the functionality is the same. If you want to convert Intercept, just have it buff the attack roll and the "damage roll" instead of the combat maneuver check.

Bodyguard, In Harm's Way, and Swift Aid can all be used as-is.
    Quote Originally Posted by The Giant View Post
    But really, the important lesson here is this: Rather than making assumptions that don't fit with the text and then complaining about the text being wrong, why not just choose different assumptions that DO fit with the text?
    Plague Doctor by Crimmy
    Ext. Sig (Handbooks/Creations)

4. - Top - End - #4
    Orc in the Playground

Thumbs up Re: Pathfinder-to-3.5 translation request

Sorry it took me so long to respond to your extremely helpful ideas. I have already implemented them as you suggested, and my DM has approved the changes. Kudos to both of you, RedWarlock and Psyren!
    My Homebrew Projects

Crossroads: The New World - Tribes, colonists, trade confederacies, and empires both new and old collide in an alt-history North America, circa 1750 A.D. (On the road to publication!)

Author of Motor City Breakdown, Co-Author & Accuracy Consultant for Ashes of the Motor City
    Major Contributor, Tenebrous Seas Wiki