1. - Top - End - #1
    Dwarf in the Playground

Kobold

Default Flawed (not cursed) magic items

So I have been working on a campaign and one of the features of the campaign is an enclave of enchanters that make most of the accessible magic items in the game, but there is of course going to be mistakes and rejects. I am looking for Ideas for otherwise normal magic items that through a mistake of the inexperienced creator work but are not made to Enclave standards.

Things like:

a cheating apprentice copied another apprentices weapon enchantment. and ended up putting a melee enchantment on a longbow. other wise normal longbow that when using it as an improvised melee weapon has a +1 to hit and damage and target must make a STR save or be knocked prone.

Improperly mixed dust of disappearance that also has the effects of dust of sneezing and choking.

Cast-on/off armor that the creator put a little too much power into. any time the Cast-off command word is used, the armor pieces all shoot off in opposite directions instead of falling to the ground (can be used in combat everyone else in 10 feet make a DC 12 dex save or get hit with a piece of armor)

I need more ideas, the types of things that are full of flavor and fun, but can still be useful. the kind of things an "enterprising" merchant could pick up at a steep discount, then sell as "it's not a flaw, it's a feature!"

2. - Top - End - #2
    Orc in the Playground

Default Re: Flawed (not cursed) magic items

I had a mage with items like this. Here's a few:

Bowl of gross: A bowl that is always full of food that provides nutrients and sustenance. Problem is, the food is always some variety of disgusting flavor.

Mobile home: This tiny home replica grows into a full house once per day, providing shelter. Problem is, the interior is different every time you use it, with no way to predict the amenities. Leaving anything in the house between uses likely means you have lost the item forever. The players eventually discovered that the homes were actually real homes that they were basically squatting in, and the house was kinda creating a portal to the home whenever it was used.

Can't remember others at the moment.

3. - Top - End - #3
    Dwarf in the Playground

Kobold

Quote Originally Posted by Magic Myrmidon View Post
    Bowl of gross: A bowl that is always full of food that provides nutrients and sustenance. Problem is, the food is always some variety of disgusting flavor.
    I love it. perhaps it can only copy foods it was introduced to while being created and the creator was a comically incompetent cook.

4. - Top - End - #4
    Ogre in the Playground

OrcBarbarianGirl

I know it's cursed, but Shield of Missile Attraction almost works like an upgrade to the Arrow-Catching Shield. SMA allows you to use ACS's power at a greater range and without using your reaction! Now if only you could just turn it off...
    Quote Originally Posted by Petrocorus View Post
    This thread, Questions that can't be answered... Answered by RAW by No brains, is Epic.
    Quote Originally Posted by illyahr View Post
    That is so stupid it's hilarious.
    Quote Originally Posted by georgie_leech View Post
    ...I've clearly been playing D&D for too long, because that made a demented kind of sense.
    Quote Originally Posted by that_one_kobold View Post
    And this is why I love D&D

5. - Top - End - #5
    Bugbear in the Playground

ClericGuy

A harp that can only be used to play a perfect rendition of the full "Inna Gadda da Vida." You can try and play another song, but it always produces the sound for the next note in the song, regardless of what string is plucked.
    78% of DM's started their first campaign in a tavern. If you're one of the 22% that didn't, copy and paste this into your signature.

Where did you start yours?

In a mountain after a cave-in.

MY STATS OFF THE ELITE ARRAY:
    Str: 14 Dex: 8 Con: 12 Int: 15 Wis: 10 Cha: 11

Quote Originally Posted by Vrock_Summoner View Post
    I wish I had you for a DM...

6. - Top - End - #6

(Flawed) Boots of Leaping
    Instead of allowing you to jump 3X your normal distance, these boots had their enchantment reversed. Instead of moving you, they instead now deliver an amazing kick. Unarmed attacks using these boots allows you to Shove enemies 10ft, no save.
    Quote Originally Posted by Zap Dynamic View Post
    Ninjadeadbeard just ninja'd my post. How apt.
    Ninjadeadbeard's Extended Homebrew

7. - Top - End - #7
    Dwarf in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

Found this site a while ago that has some cool flawed magic items. Some are a trade off, some are sorta cursed, and some straight cursed. They have a lot of good ideas, even if all of the items dont stick the landing. Good resource to look over to generate ideas like this.

https://manysideddice.com/category/m...-than-nothing/

8. - Top - End - #8
    Ettin in the Playground

Zombie

The magic item that made the party most paranoid, almost to the point of inter party combat, was a sentient magic sword who's only power was making people want it. This sentient weapon had no ill intent. There was nothing bad about it. It just wanted to be wanted and had the ability in a contest of wills to make people want it. When the character that wasn't proficient in it failed the contest of wills and really, really wanted it a fight nearly broke out in the party as the rest of us were convinced that it was more nefarious than that.
    I am the flush of excitement. The blush on the cheek. I am the Rouge!

9. - Top - End - #9

Quote Originally Posted by Sigreid View Post
    The magic item that made the party most paranoid, almost to the point of inter party combat, was a sentient magic sword who's only power was making people want it. This sentient weapon had no ill intent. There was nothing bad about it. It just wanted to be wanted and had the ability in a contest of wills to make people want it. When the character that wasn't proficient in it failed the contest of wills and really, really wanted it a fight nearly broke out in the party as the rest of us were convinced that it was more nefarious than that.
    I am very glad my Cleric's sentient Frost Brand Longsword seems friendly. Though that might be the 'kinship' from my Cleric being a Silver Dragonborn.

I am wary of what sorta things might happen down the line with this weapon. Named "Summer's Bane", no less..

10. - Top - End - #10
    Ogre in the Playground

DruidGuy

Whip of Encouragement
    Whenever you attack with the whip you may shout "try harder you lazy scum" and the whip will cast the guidance spell as a cantrip on the target. This lasts the normal duration of the guidance spell, but does not require concentration. Once per short rest, you may shout an insult as you hit with the whip. The next time the hit target makes a roll with a d20, it will have the total reduced by 1d6.

Extremely Eager Dagger of Returning
    This +1 dagger automatically returns to the hand of the attuned creature when dropped or thrown. However, it does so at an incredibly quick velocity. When it returns, you need to make a DC 12 strength check or be pushed 5ft in the direction the dagger is returning.
    *NOTE: If I'm evaluating your homebrew, it means that I think there is something interesting and unique about it and it looks like it would be fun. I usually forget to mention that and just go into suggestions and thoughts without saying anything enjoying it.

Extended Homebrew Post
    Winner of D&D Subclass Contest IV - Pinball Wizard
    Winner of D&D Subclass Contest VI - Bardic College of the Luchador

11. - Top - End - #11
    Barbarian in the Playground

BardGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Bubzors View Post
    Found this site a while ago that has some cool flawed magic items. Some are a trade off, some are sorta cursed, and some straight cursed. They have a lot of good ideas, even if all of the items dont stick the landing. Good resource to look over to generate ideas like this.

https://manysideddice.com/category/m...-than-nothing/
    We need an upvote feature.

12. - Top - End - #12
    Orc in the Playground

Imp

A while ago I had a similar thread, with a few of my own ideas and several by other playgrounders. Feel free to borrow whatever you think would be fun:

http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showt...ng-Magic-Items
    Last edited by Maelynn; 2019-05-27 at 08:44 AM.
    Just remember... if the world didn't suck, we'd all fall off.