New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more

Thread: Triple-Classing

1. - Top - End - #1
    Dwarf in the Playground

RedKnightGirl

Default Triple-Classing

In my campaigns, I usually do either one class all the way to Level 20 or two and have it roughly even. Any advice for three classes?

2. - Top - End - #2
    Titan in the Playground

Default Re: Triple-Classing

Mostly Bard with one level in Cleric for Armor, bless, and domain goodies with two levels in Warlock for blasting was my first thought.

Or maybe a ranger who goes three or four levels into fighter for maneuvers and two levels into Rogue for Expertise and Cunning Action.
    Spoiler: Check Out my Writing!
    Show

https://www.patreon.com/everskendra

I post short stories in the middle of every month, and if you want to follow my novels as they’re edited and written, you can join as a patron!

3. - Top - End - #3
    Ettin in the Playground

Ranger 3/Druid 3/Rogue X would be pretty amazing for an infiltrator (and not MAD). You wildshape into something tiny, sneak in using pass without a trace and gloomstalker invisibility, bonus action into regular shape and surprise the heck out of anyone in the room with an assassin crit. Then wildshape back into a mouse the next round and you are gone.

Druid/Cleric/Ranger also play pretty well together for a character that has a solution to almost all problems.

Dex EK Fighter/Rogue/Fighter

Dex EK/AT/Baldesinger is also an interesting one.
    Last edited by nickl_2000; 2019-05-20 at 07:32 PM.
    Pronouns he/him/his
    Spoiler: 5e Subclass Contest Wins
    Show

● IV-Pinball Wizard
    ● VI-Luchador Bard
    ● XIII-Rogue, Tavern Wench
    ● XV-Monk, Way of the Shrine Guardian
    ● XVI-Cleric, Madness Domain
    ● XVIII-Fighter, Chef
    ● XXI-Artificer, Battling Bowman
    ● XXV-Ley Line Sorcerer

4. - Top - End - #4
    Orc in the Playground

Paladin 2 (or 6)/Hexblade 1/Sorcerer X. Attacks and smites and saves and spells are all CHA based. Can take either Paladin first or Sorcerer first for Heavy Armor or Con saves respectively.

Hexblade 2/Eldritch Knight 7/Paladin or Rogue X. Take Crossbow Expert, fire off Agonizing Eldritch Blast in melee and follow up with a bonus action weapon attack with either sneak attack or smite. Takes a while to come online fully but lots of flavour and utility and very good DPR. Fighter level 1, Hexblade next two levels, then Fighter to level 7, then Rogue or Paladin.

War Cleric 1/Gloomstalker Ranger 3/Shadow Monk X. Lots of attacks which makes Divine Favour actually pretty powerful and worthwhile, hence War Cleric dip. Plus shadow sneakiness.

Rogue Assassin 3/Gloomstalker Ranger 3/Shadow Monk X. Same as above, but Assassin instead of Cleric to make those extra attacks really hurt. Heavily reliant on surprise, one trick piney but potentially massive nova damage.
    Last edited by BarneyBent; 2019-05-20 at 08:17 PM.

5. - Top - End - #5
    Dwarf in the Playground

I'm currently playing a Goblin Ranger 1/Shadow Monk 6, but my plans are to go Gloomstalker Ranger 3/War Wizard 2/Barbarian 1/Shadow Monk 14. I rolled well for stats, though, so this obviously doesn't work for everyone.

My understanding is that martials are mostly free to jump into and out of each other, or to add spellcasting classes once they get all the martial abilities that they want. Charisma classes are eminently able to mix and match, with Hexblade Sorlock being the most prominent, though Hexblade 1/Paladin 2/Valor or Swords bard 17 is also effective.

Spellcasters lose quite a bit for mixing a matching, but I guess you could always do something like Sorcerer 1/Cleric 1/Other Spellcaster X to get the good level 1 benefits of those classes at the cost of MADness. If there isn't a good level 18 benefit (like Wizards at-will casts, or spellcasting in beast form for Moon Druid), you could even mix in another level 1, or go to level 2 in Cleric to get the channel divinity.

6. - Top - End - #6
    Troll in the Playground

My retired character is tri-classed. At the time he retired he was Rogue 6/Cleric 1/Fighter 2.

My advice if you plan to multiclass in this way:
    -Avoid classes that require deep dives for core features like Sorcerer or Ranger (Ranger because of its poor starting abilities more than anything else) those are fine and dandy for a simple two class character but will set you far behind if you tri-class early.
    -Focus your character build. There's no reason to take this many different class levels without a specific goal in mind. I took the Fighter and Cleric levels to allow my character alternate uses for his action/bonus action in spellcasting and make him more of a skill monkey. The fighter levels were to help his martial ability as a crossbow user.
    -Learn your splits. Make sure you know when it's best to switch out of a class. You don't typically want to do so before your main class has reached level 4 unless the class features you would gain are equal or greater than an ASI/Feat.
    -Avoid it if you are a spellcaster. Multiclassing between two classes does enough to hamper your spellcasting ability, limiting your usable spell level by that is ill advised.

Just my personal take on the idea. Most of the times that I see more than a single multiclass is only to gain early class features. Cleric, Hexblade and Fighter seem to be among the most popular single level dips, with Cleric being the absolute #1.

7. - Top - End - #7
    Nobody in the Playground Moderator

You can slap Fighter 2 onto any popular multiclass combo. Rogue 2 is almost just as good.

I've done Ranger 5/Fighter 2/Rogue X before and it was an amazing archerer.

Right now I'm playing a Monk 2/Warlock 2 and after I get to Monk 5/Warlock 3, I'm really considering on switching over to Swashbuckler to at least 5. This character was almost a Monk/Rogue with 2 levels of Bladesinger. I have a Swords Bard/Zealot Barbarian that may end up switching over to Paladin.

I have a GWM Barb/Ranger/Cleric build in mind for one day.

I've seen Sorcadins with a 2 level Paladin dip for added toughness and melee capability.

Triclassing is easy with the group I play with because they always roll 4d6 drop lowest, reroll 1s and always give a free feat so ASI/feats are much less important than normal.

8. - Top - End - #8
    Pixie in the Playground

I'm currently lvl 10 with 5 Rouge (swashbuckler) and 5 Fighter (Battlemaster). We rolled for stats, I rolled really good stats so I will be going at least 3 warlock (Fiend) and then I don't know.

My battlebuckler is an arrogant duelist who wants to ruin a particular noble family in our campaign for backstory reasons. The time has come to make a fiendish pact in order to better achieve that goal.

9. - Top - End - #9
    Ogre in the Playground

I am correctly playing a level 8 character half-elf(drow). I started with 1 level of paladin, one level of haxblade warlock, 5 more vengeance paladin and 1 Divine soul Sorcerer.
    I am going to keep taking Sorcerer.

You can go tank or DPS. Taking GWF(to reroll the 1/2 on crit smites, it Should be easy to get crits with this build) or Defense(for super armored guy, 21 base armor with no magic items that go to 26 with the shield spell) for your fighting style.

You can even consider going 5 warlock for 2 smites at a time, I recommend doing it after Sorcerer 3.
    Then finish the last 6 levels with a bard for extra goods or more Sorcerer for higher level spells.

For this build you will want to start with:
    15 str 8 dex 16 con 8/10 int 8/10 wis 17 cha
    You will want to take Elven Accuracy as soon as possible.

10. - Top - End - #10
    Dwarf in the Playground

SolithKnightGuy

Shadow Monk - 6 / Gloomstalker Ranger - 5 / Assassin Rogue - 9

You are the master of stealth and can even teleport when in low light. Also while unnoticed you hit like a truck.

(I'd actually quad class this and pick up Fighter - 2 and lower Rogue to 7 for the extra attacks XD)
    Fear Victor Von Kittie!!!!

11. - Top - End - #11
    Nobody in the Playground Moderator

Quote Originally Posted by Kwinza View Post
    Shadow Monk - 6 / Gloomstalker Ranger - 5 / Assassin Rogue - 9

You are the master of stealth and can even teleport when in low light. Also while unnoticed you hit like a truck.

(I'd actually quad class this and pick up Fighter - 2 and lower Rogue to 7 for the extra attacks XD)

Why Ranger 5 and not just 3? I'd rather add 2 more levels of Monk or Rogue. This is a solid idea though that I've thought about for a while now.

12. - Top - End - #12
    Dwarf in the Playground

SolithKnightGuy

Quote Originally Posted by CTurbo View Post
    Why Ranger 5 and not just 3? I'd rather add 2 more levels of Monk or Rogue. This is a solid idea though that I've thought about for a while now.
    You're right, Ranger - 5 isn't needed. Add two more of rogue for the sneak attack or if you quad class, go Fighter - 4 so you dont lose an ASI and you can pick up Battlemaster for even more burst.
    Fear Victor Von Kittie!!!!

13. - Top - End - #13
    Firbolg in the Playground

MonkGirl

I had a lot of fun as a Warlock/Sorcerer/Assassin 3/Fighter 2... max range Eldritch Blast Sniper

14. - Top - End - #14
    Orc in the Playground

PirateCaptain

Warlock 2 Sorcerer 3 Ftr 2 is the ultimate disco ball lazer lock (Shiny armor included!). Could probably go warlock 5 for 3rd level sr spell slots, then sorcerer all the way.

15. - Top - End - #15
    Orc in the Playground

RedWizardGuy

I'm running one game where the party is literally three triple class characters.

One is a Berserker 6 / Battlemaster 5 / monk 2, with mobile and GWM. She's got a 60ft move speed and insane mobility, can use step of the wind to dash 120ft and leap ridiculous distances and heights, and she hits like a truck, but usually several times all at once.

Another is a Deep Stalker 6 / Assassin 5 / War Cleric 2, with sharpshooter and some seriously terrifying opening round damage. War Cleric's +10 to hit can turn a miss into like 80 damage in the right circumstances.

The last is a Tiefling Draconic Sorcerer 6 / Lore Bard 5 / Warlock 2, who styles herself a warlock and fluffs her bard powers as "the black speech," reweaving the strands of fate and twisting the minds of mortals with words of eldritch power.

They're some insanely powerful characters.
    The Stormwind Fallacy, Just because one optimizes his characters mechanically does not mean that they cannot also roleplay, and vice versa.

Corollary: Doing one in a game does not preclude, nor infringe upon, the ability to do the other in the same game.

Generalization 1: One is not automatically a worse roleplayer if he optimizes, and vice versa.
    Generalization 2: A non-optimized character is not automatically roleplayed better than an optimized one, and vice versa.

16. - Top - End - #16
    Pixie in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by ProsecutorGodot View Post
    -Focus your character build. There's no reason to take this many different class levels without a specific goal in mind.
    This, to me, is the most important bit of advice. Pick a goal, stick to your goal, every new class or additional levels need to be moving you towards that goal.

The other key bit of advice is that you want to think about what spells you are expecting to use. There's a bunch of spell builds that don't actually care about stat boosts, or save DCs. Which means you can easily get away with a 13 in your spell casting stat. Are you taking wizard just for identify and shield and rituals? Then you don't need a good int. Bless-bot and Guidance spammer, don't need more than a 13 Wisdom. This makes it much easier to play what would normally be considered a MAD multi-class.

Last bit of advice is to figure out early what your preferred basic combat attack will be and push early to that. You can diverge a little, but don't put off your signature combat method for very long. If you want to be a fireball thrower, push for wiz/sor 5. If you have a key combat feat, dive for it. if you want a key sub-class get that started. I might still do 1 level in a different class, just to define the multi-class and claim that first dip goodness, but I probably wouldn't put off my signature thing by more than 1 level.

As an example, I'm actually playing a quad-class character in a long-term campaign. My goals were simple, decent ranged attack and party buff/support with all the skills and languages. Cleric/Ranger/Rogue/Bard. I started Knowledge cleric, and then went to Ranger 5 to get my 2 attacks with sharpshooter. That established me as the bless-bot, backup healer with some skills/languages who stood in the back and did solid damage. From there I slowly worked to Cleric 5, Rogue 4, Bard 3 with most every level giving me some form of utility spell access, more skills, expertise, or more languages. All I really needed was a high dex. The only spell I typically cast that even uses a stat bonus is cure wounds so the build works just fine with 13 Wis, 13 Cha.

17. - Top - End - #17
    Ogre in the Playground

RangerGuy

My favorite archer was a ranger 5/druid 8/rogue 7

Wildshape into a sparrow, fly up to a tree in the enemy camp, shift back, conjure a pack of wild boar to wake the enemy (and keep an ally within 5 feet), then ping away into the fray, if they spot you or turn their ranged attacjs towards you just wildshape again and fly away.

18. - Top - End - #18
    Orc in the Playground

WolfInSheepsClothing

One of my favorite characters to play is Fighter 5/ Rogue 4/ Warlock 8. The initial character concept was a duelist, so my goal was to get 10 Battle master/ 10 Swashbuckler. Around level 9 they got plane shifted to the 9 Hells. And that was too fun not to incorporate into the character. So I started taking levels in warlock. Pact of the Blade and some choice spells(mainly Shadow Blade) made for a surprisingly strong character in the long run. Really good AC, initiative bonus the uses two key stats, and really fun role play opportunities (especially after becoming a yuan-ti and flipping gender/alignment after Tomb of Horrors)

The biggest thing to watch out for is making sure that you don't spread yourself too thin. Pick something to focus on, and stick with it.
    Quote Originally Posted by Unoriginal View Post

"Fighting a Death Gish? If you have a death wish."

19. - Top - End - #19
    Barbarian in the Playground

OldWizardGuy

I've got a couple of 20th level, triple+ classed characters.

o Paladin(6)/Fighter(4)/Sorcerer(8)/Barbarian(2)
    Not a great build (started in early 5e), sort of clumped together as I went and with some RP concerns tossed in.

o Fighter(12)/Rogue(7)/Druid(1)
    Lots of fun. A Stealth-based wood elf archer-assassin with a Staff of the Woodlands and a Cloak of Elvenkind. Can max out a stealth check at something like DC 47 by themselves.

20. - Top - End - #20
    Bugbear in the Playground

Offhand I’ve always been wanting to try Brute fighter 6/bloodhunter (ghostslayer) 4/rogue (not sure on subclass yet) 10.

Go elf, take valenar double scimitar and revenant blade, elven accuracy feats which both give you +1 dex.

Welcome to 3d4+1d4 radiant +dex+sneak attack damage on one attack and 3d4+1d4 radiant+dex on the others with three attacks on your turn, or two and bonus action rogue fun, as well as good skill usage. Also extra damage based on wisdom modified against undead

I went ghostslayer for radiant damage and half damage when performing the crimson rite.

For rogue you can go with whatever but inquisitive might be best if you’re wanting a high wisdom to take advantage of the ghost slayer damage though that’s super situational. Seriously though most any rogue that would normally work works here.

For fighting styles you can go with great weapon fighting style for rerolls on some of those d4s and defensive styles to boost AC
    Last edited by Mikal; 2019-05-21 at 10:23 AM.

21. - Top - End - #21
    Pixie in the Playground

MindFlayer

I played through Storm King's Thunder ending up as a (UA)Ranger6/Rogue5/Fighter4 and the character was surprisingly effective in my chosen role of scout/archer.
    Last edited by Morollan; 2019-05-21 at 10:25 AM.

22. - Top - End - #22
    Firbolg in the Playground

I mean, as long as you don't do these things, you can multiclass however you want and do it well:
    • Don't mix Rogues or Barbarians with casters (unless that caster deals more weapon attacks than spells).
    • Don't get Extra Attack from 2 different classes.
    • Don't mix casters, unless they share their primary attribute and you're dipping into one for a low level feature
    • Try to always match primary or secondary attributes.
    • When taking levels into non-full casters, try to do so to get armor proficiencies

So if you wanted to play a Ranger 4, Barbarian 5, Rogue 11, that'd actually work out fine!
    Or maybe you want to play a Paladin 1, Sorcerer 15, Bard 2, Warlock 2. That'd work, too!

You don't have to plan everything out to make a good character. You just have to avoid the few caveats that might set you back.
    Last edited by Man_Over_Game; 2019-05-21 at 10:56 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by KOLE View Post
    MOG, design a darn RPG system. Seriously, the amount of ideas I’ve gleaned from your posts has been valuable. You’re a gem of the community here.

5th Edition Homebrewery
    Prestige Options, changing primary attributes to open a world of new multiclassing.
    Adrenaline Surge, fitting Short Rests into combat to fix bosses/Short Rest Classes.
    Pain, using Exhaustion to make tactical martial combatants.
    Fate Sorcery, lucky winner of the 5e D&D Subclass Contest VII!

23. - Top - End - #23
    Troll in the Playground

I have a current player using a Gloom Stalker 3, War Cleric 1, Rogue 1. It's an interesting build, and very strong at what it does (which is producing a lot of high damage arrows quickly while also buffing teammates). However, he's only about equal with the other two players, which are single classed Open Hand Monk and Ancients Paladin, respectively.
    Awesome avatar (Kothar, paladin of Tlacua) by Linkele!

Quote Originally Posted by William Shakespeare, King Lear, IV.i.46
    'Tis the time's plague, when madmen lead the blind.
    My Nexus characters

24. - Top - End - #24
    Dwarf in the Playground

Forge Cleric 1 gives you weapon and armor proficiencies and Blessings of the Forge.
    Fighter 2 gives you more proficiencies, a Fighting Style, Second Wind and Action Surge.

Now, if from then on you go Pact of the Blade Hexblade, there's potential for +1 or +2 AC depending on your fighting style choice (BoF+Defense gives AC+2), or a +3 to hit on a Bowlock (Archery + BoF).

Plus the level 15 Ultimate Pact Weapon Invocation's +3 to hit on a bow pact weapon can stack with the +2 from Archery.

17 levels of Warlock remains very good, and the dips make you both meaner and tougher.

Another funky triple class: Gloom Stalker Ranger 7/Samurai 7 with Resilient + Transmutation Wizard 6 -> all six save proficiencies with Transmuter's Stone.
    (GS has Str and Dex, gains Wis at Level 7, Samurai gains Wis at Level 7 but lets you take Int or Cha if you're already proficient in Wis, Resilient gives you the penultimate save, and Trasmuter's Stone the CON save).
    ASI's-wise you'll get four (1 from Ranger, 2 from Fighter, 1 from Wizard), five with Variant Human.
    You'll also get one Extra Attack and Spell Slots up to Level 5 (Ranger's 3,5 levels rounded down, plus Wizard's six levels grant you a Spellcaster Level 9 on the Multiclassing Table), but wouldn't be able to prepare spells higher than 2nd (Ranger) or 3rd (Wizard).

Have fun trying those triple classes out!

25. - Top - End - #25
    Barbarian in the Playground

WolfInSheepsClothing

Quote Originally Posted by CTurbo View Post
    I've seen Sorcadins with a 2 level Paladin dip for added toughness and melee capability.
    I think you mean "Sorclocks" which is basically what I came here to say.

The paladin/sorcerer multiclass is very good, and adding in 3 levels of warlock for your pact boon is flavorful and fun. Starting warlock for 3 levels, picking up 2 paladin, and then sorcerer X can give you a lot of power early and a lot of growth later on. Hexblade is a great way to make yourself SAD. Pact of the blade is the obvious boon choice, but tome and chain could add some utility. While having 5 levels away from your "primary" casting class means you'll never get 9th levels, you will have a bit of short-rest recharge where a dual class sorcadin is exclusively dependent on long rests.