New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more

Thread: Animated Shield

1. - Top - End - #1
    Bugbear in the Playground

RangerGuy

Default Animated Shield

So playground,

How would y'all/What do y'all think?:

Sundering or disarming an animated shield? Since it isn't being held, would there not be an opposed roll to sunder?
    What would stop someone from grabbing it out of the air and using it for themself?

2. - Top - End - #2
    Barbarian in the Playground

Chimera

Default Re: Animated Shield

It works as if you were wielding it. You still take all penalties related to wielding a shield, so you also get to roll against sunder and disarming.

3. - Top - End - #3
    Ogre in the Playground

OldWizardGuy

My guess would be that as it's treated as being held in all ways except using a hand ("A character with an animated shield still takes any penalties associated with shield use, such as armor check penalty, arcane spell failure chance, and nonproficiency") this also applies to things like disarm and sunder, so you'd still have to make an opposed roll as normal.

A related question, also without an official answer I can find: an Ioun Stone "must be grasped or netted to separate it from its owner". What do have have to roll to do this?

4. - Top - End - #4
    Bugbear in the Playground

RangerGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Biggus View Post
    My guess would be that as it's treated as being held in all ways except using a hand ("A character with an animated shield still takes any penalties associated with shield use, such as armor check penalty, arcane spell failure chance, and nonproficiency") this also applies to things like disarm and sunder, so you'd still have to make an opposed roll as normal.

A related question, also without an official answer I can find: an Ioun Stone "must be grasped or netted to separate it from its owner". What do have have to roll to do this?
    Since Ioun Stones have a listed AC, I imagine you have to grapple them individually?

5. - Top - End - #5
    Ogre in the Playground

OldWizardGuy

Quote Originally Posted by RNightstalker View Post
    Since Ioun Stones have a listed AC, I imagine you have to grapple them individually?
    Yeah, on Sean K. Reynold's page he suggested using a modified grapple attempt, but made it clear that that was just his take on it, not an official rule.
    Last edited by Biggus; 2019-05-26 at 07:01 PM.