New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Ogre in the Playground

DwarfFighterGuy

Default Caught in the middle

Between fan of TOR (The One Ring) and AiME (adventures in Middle Earth) as to which one best reflects a Tolkienian world.

One truly dislikes D&D 5e and The other wonders why anyone would want anything else than 5e so neither may be objective. Putting it mildly...

Help me here, please. Which one would most/better reflect a JRRT world setting game?

Ordered both for my wife and I to review. She won’t return to 5e because “... the very nice people do not negate the murder hobo/chaotic greedy players enough...” and she is willing to try a less “5e” style game. She played OD&D and AD&D in the past but the jerks turned her off to 5e D&D. Canadian chicks can be stubborn once their patience is worn out and hers is.
    Last edited by ZorroGames; 2019-05-20 at 08:40 PM.
    With one exception, I play AL games only nowdays.

I am the eternal Iconoclast.

Mountain Dwarfs Rock!

Song of Gorm Gulthyn
    Blessed be the HAMMER my strength which teaches my hands to war, and my fingers to fight.

Otto von Bismarck Quotes

When you want to fool the world, tell the truth.

2. - Top - End - #2
    Troll in the Playground

OrcBarbarianGuy

Default Re: Caught in the middle

"Happy wife, happy life". Go with whichever one makes your wife happy.

Light the lamp not the rat LIGHT THE LAMP NOT THE RAT!!!

3. - Top - End - #3
    Dwarf in the Playground

Daemon

"Adventures in Middle Earth" is fairly different to standard 5e, and I know it while I do not know "The One Ring". You could use MERP or other systems made to fit middle earth, too. "Adventures in Middle Earth" looks pretty good for what it covers; the time & place is very limited to me, which really hurts it, but again, it's got the feel for what it covers.

4. - Top - End - #4
    Bugbear in the Playground

EvilClericGuy

Quote Originally Posted by CE DM View Post
    "Adventures in Middle Earth" is fairly different to standard 5e, and I know it while I do not know "The One Ring". You could use MERP or other systems made to fit middle earth, too. "Adventures in Middle Earth" looks pretty good for what it covers; the time & place is very limited to me, which really hurts it, but again, it's got the feel for what it covers.
    TOR is the Lord of the Rings game Cubicle 7 made before they got AiME out under the 5E OGL. *A lot* of AiME material is based on TOR materials.

They're both beautiful products and good reading. I think both capture the Middle Earth feeling while being playable. AiME might be a better choice, as a 5E game, it's got a lower barrier to entry. But really, you've got a win-win situation here.

5. - Top - End - #5
    Dwarf in the Playground

Daemon

thanks, Ill look for it!