New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Orc in the Playground

Question Construct help/suggestions

I am nearly level 20 in a campaign that I am playing in and I have quite a bit of GP laying around. Can anyone suggest a nice construct, even a custom one? Money is almost no object since I rarely ever buy anything and I just hoard all of my wealth. (Playing a Warlock, staying out of harm's way!)

My character is tiny sized so I am thinking maybe some sort of construct that I can actually get inside of and ride around like a Gundam suit lol...

Suggestions? I've looked through the various Monster Manuals but none of them really have spoken to me yet. Also, what are some lesser-known yet cool things you can enchant your constructs with?

2. - Top - End - #2
    Firbolg in the Playground

Default Re: Construct help/suggestions

Buy a ML 15 psychoactive skin of proteus (made with the Words of Creation and Reserves of Strength feats, to make it ML 19 or so) and dip into a psionic manifesting class, taking the Psicrystal Affinity feat for a psicrystal? It can use the skin to turn into all the constructs! Even animated objects! Which means it can be damned near anything at all.

If you dip into ardent, you can even boost your starting ML to get higher level powers so you don't fall behind quite as much.
    Last edited by MaxiDuRaritry; 2019-05-21 at 01:38 AM.

3. - Top - End - #3
    Orc in the Playground

Psionics are off of the table and I also cannot afford to take any more crafting feats.

4. - Top - End - #4
    Ogre in the Playground

Beholder

Templated effigies. I'm AFB now, but do effigies retain Swallow Whole? If so, you get both your wishes at once.

5. - Top - End - #5
    Orc in the Playground

What sorts of templates are you talking about?

6. - Top - End - #6
    Orc in the Playground

I'm still in the dark as to what templates I can apply to effigies and how it affects price. Help anyone?

7. - Top - End - #7
    Ogre in the Playground

Beholder

Quote Originally Posted by skunk3 View Post
    I'm still in the dark as to what templates I can apply to effigies
    You can apply as many templates as you want, as long as the final type still fulfills the pre-requisites for applying the effigy template.

and how it affects price. Help anyone?
    That's the thing: you calculate the price normally based on the body size and HD, regardless of how broken the templated version is.

I suggest Monstrous Crab, maybe Huge Dungeonbred+Tauric to add a creature with Swallow Whole for you to get inside.

8. - Top - End - #8

A Max Hit Die Hellfire Golem (Fiend Folio)
    1. It has 3.0 Spell Immunity so it's immune to all supernatural and spell effects instead of just spells. DM might rule otherwise.
    2. It has INT So it gets Epic Feats.

So completely forget about all the SLA or attack options the golem has. Give it something like Gloves of Endless Javelins and epic feats like Distant Shot and Perfect Two Weapon Fighting and you got a robot that can shoot javelins like a machine gun at infinite distance.

There's only a real handful of constructs that have Int scores. I only count 2 that can get epic feats: Hellfire Golem and Demonflesh Golem.

You might need to give it some +6 stat items to meet the prerequisites of the epic feats.
    Last edited by RoboEmperor; 2019-05-22 at 05:56 AM.

9. - Top - End - #9
    Ettin in the Playground

What are your available sources? What would you like the construct to do (being tiny it would be complicated to find one not large enough for you to ride)?
    Thanks a lot Gengy for the awesome... just a sec... avatar. :)

10. - Top - End - #10
    Orc in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by MisterKaws View Post
    You can apply as many templates as you want, as long as the final type still fulfills the pre-requisites for applying the effigy template.

That's the thing: you calculate the price normally based on the body size and HD, regardless of how broken the templated version is.

I suggest Monstrous Crab, maybe Huge Dungeonbred+Tauric to add a creature with Swallow Whole for you to get inside.
    So I can apply basically as many templates as I want so long as I can afford it based upon body size and HD? That seems... broken.

11. - Top - End - #11
    Orc in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by thethird View Post
    What are your available sources? What would you like the construct to do (being tiny it would be complicated to find one not large enough for you to ride)?
    Pretty much any official 3.5 material and certain homebrew as long as it is reasonable/balanced and I get DM approval. As far as what I'd like it to do, I am not entirely sure yet. I just got the idea to make a construct the other day and I'm still exploring the whole idea since I have never played a character that got much into crafting... much less a character this high of level with this much wealth.

12. - Top - End - #12
    Orc in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by RoboEmperor View Post
    A Max Hit Die Hellfire Golem (Fiend Folio)
    1. It has 3.0 Spell Immunity so it's immune to all supernatural and spell effects instead of just spells. DM might rule otherwise.
    2. It has INT So it gets Epic Feats.

So completely forget about all the SLA or attack options the golem has. Give it something like Gloves of Endless Javelins and epic feats like Distant Shot and Perfect Two Weapon Fighting and you got a robot that can shoot javelins like a machine gun at infinite distance.

There's only a real handful of constructs that have Int scores. I only count 2 that can get epic feats: Hellfire Golem and Demonflesh Golem.

You might need to give it some +6 stat items to meet the prerequisites of the epic feats.
    That sounds badass other than that my character is good aligned. (Gestalt game, Warlock primarily but I also have 10 levels of Enlightened Spirit)

I also don't understand how constructs get feats? I guess I need to read up on this more.

13. - Top - End - #13

That sounds badass other than that my character is good aligned. (Gestalt game, Warlock primarily but I also have 10 levels of Enlightened Spirit)

I also don't understand how constructs get feats? I guess I need to read up on this more.
    All creatures with INT get feats. Hit Dice = Character Level. So at hit dice 1, 3, 6, 9, 12, 15, 18......60 monsters gain feats. And if their hit dice is above 20 they can get epic feats. These are general monster rules.

14. - Top - End - #14
    Ogre in the Playground

Beholder

So I can apply basically as many templates as I want so long as I can afford it based upon body size and HD? That seems... broken.
    Hey, you can do it with player characters too. Tauric Creature only counts the LA for the top creature, for example.