Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Titan in the Playground

Imp

Default Ghosts of Satlmarsh: already out?

Title says it: is the "Ghosts of Saltmarsh" book out already?

I'm hyped for it, though I think WotC made a mistake announcing Baldur's Gate: Descent into Avernus a couple of day before GoS's release. People only have a limited amount of hype and money to spend.

Anyway. time for salty ghosts.

2. - Top - End - #2
    Dwarf in the Playground

RogueGuy

Default Re: Ghosts of Satlmarsh: already out?

I believe the answer to your question is yes (depending on what time zone you live in) as release date is 21st May.

3. - Top - End - #3
    Titan in the Playground

Imp

If anyone already has the book, would you mind telling us more about the content?

4. - Top - End - #4
    Bugbear in the Playground

Horror-themed adventures in the style of Tales from the Yawning Portal. It's not a sourcebook for running a pirate campaign or having pirate-y adventures, though it does have a bunch of nautical crunch. The focus of the adventures is Lovecraftian weird horror, and some of them have interesting methods. One, I think, is intended to be a stealth-based adventure, and another has the players as diplomats. I'm really interested to sit down with it, Princes of the Apocalypse and the starspawn from Mordenkainen's Tome of Foes and try to put together a really tight cult-based weird horror campaign and sand off some of PotA's weak bits.

5. - Top - End - #5
    Ettin in the Playground

ClericGirl

Quote Originally Posted by Unoriginal View Post

I'm hyped for it, though I think WotC made a mistake announcing Baldur's Gate: Descent into Avernus a couple of day before GoS's release. People only have a limited amount of hype and money to spend.

Anyway. time for salty ghosts.
    I ordered it, have not received it.
    Quote Originally Posted by Malifice View Post
    (paraphrased) Rulings are not 'House Rules.' Rulings are a DM doing what DMs are supposed to do.
    Quote Originally Posted by greenstone View Post
    Player agency doesn't mean they get to roll for everything. Agency means that they control their character's actions; you control the world's reactions to the character's actions.
    Gosh, 2D8HP, you are so very correct (and also quite handsome) or so I am told ... by 2D8HP

6. - Top - End - #6
    Ettin in the Playground

Zombie

Does it have enough ship crunch to actually handle ships without totally winging it? That's what 8m most interested in.
    I am the flush of excitement. The blush on the cheek. I am the Rouge!

7. - Top - End - #7
    Firbolg in the Playground

If anyone already has the book, would you mind telling us more about the content?
    Quote Originally Posted by Sigreid View Post
    Does it have enough ship crunch to actually handle ships without totally winging it? That's what 8m most interested in.

I bought it and brought it home last week but I've only glanced at it, but so far it seems AWESOME!

First off the setting is Greyhawk! There's even a dot on a map for "The Tower of Zenopus" which was the 'sample dungeon' in the first D&D rules I had back in '78 which warms my heart emmensely!

The first chapter details the base setting with some interesting NPC's and NEW BACKGROUNDS for PC's, including 'Fisher" and "Shipwright' plus some more (IIRC as I'm at work and the book is under my nightstand right now), many plans of boats and ships are in the book and there's some new rules for nautical stuff, I've only fully read a few pages so far but I like what I've seen, the recommended levels are one through 12, and it suggests interposing the adventures with those from Tales of the Yawning Portal which seems a fine idea, in fact I suggest that you buy both books and DM sessions from them at the Gilman Street Brewery, ale's on me!
    Grim specter of noogie hangs like shroud over us all

Extended Sig

PBP's

Quote Originally Posted by JoeJ View Post
    Does the game you play feature a Dragon sitting on a pile of treasure, in a Dungeon?
    Quote Originally Posted by Ninja_Prawn View Post
    You're an NPC stat block."I remember when your race was your class you damned whippersnappers"
    Snazzy Avatar by Honest Tiefling!

8. - Top - End - #8
    Titan in the Playground

Imp

Quote Originally Posted by 2D8HP View Post
    ale's on me!
    Be careful saying that, you're risking an Alestorm.

9. - Top - End - #9
    Ogre in the Playground

OrcBarbarianGuy

My DM just got it and shared it with my party on DndBeyond. He's requested we stay away form the adventure itself but are welcome to take a look at the Ship rules.

I will return and report as soon as I give them a look.

10. - Top - End - #10
    Barbarian in the Playground

DwarfFighterGuy

Just got my copy! Gave it a blisteringly quick perusal, but it looks intriguing.

The monsters in the back seem to be a pretty even mix between different ranks of a faction (lizardfolk, drowned, kaolinths, bullywugs, and sahuagin all getting more variants) and unique monsters (vampiric jade statues, skeleton behemoths, and skum just to name a few). I'd say 20% of them are repeats from other books, but the other 80% are unique.

Just one page of magic items, all aquatic themed. Two new backgrounds apparently?

Saltmarsh has a magic store. Could be optional, not sure.

The sailing rules seem to treat the boat as a single large living organism, immune to poison, psychic, and a bunch of mental conditions. It gives advice on how to handle crew, and suggests abstracting them during boarding actions.

Disclaimer: I literally flipped through the book for 2 minutes while pumping fuel for my car. Take everything I say with a generous helping of salt because I literally wasn't reading it.
    Last edited by NRSASD; 2019-05-21 at 12:55 PM.

11. - Top - End - #11
    Titan in the Playground

Question: How different is the Saltmarsh of this book from the Saltmarsh described in 3.5's Dungeon Master's Guide II? I'm wondering if scrounging up the old 3.5 book would enhance my experience of the 5e one.
    "Reach down into your heart and you'll find many reasons to fight. Survival. Honor. Glory. But what about those who feel it's their duty to protect the innocent? There you'll find a warrior savage enough to match any dragon, and in the end, they'll retain what the others won't. Their humanity."

12. - Top - End - #12

NinjaGirl

There are a few prebuilt ships, some potential upgrades, rules for crew in and out of combat, and rules for ship combat and travel. Would have to actually play with them a bit to know how good they are, but they definitely exist.

13. - Top - End - #13

RedWizardGuy

Quote Originally Posted by NRSASD View Post
    The monsters in the back seem to be a pretty even mix between different ranks of a faction (lizardfolk, drowned, kaolinths, bullywugs, and sahuagin all getting more variants) and unique monsters (vampiric jade statues, skeleton behemoths, and skum just to name a few). I'd say 20% of them are repeats from other books, but the other 80% are unique.
    Are any of them of the "Beast" type?

If so, I'll get the book to add these beast forms to my Druid guides.

14. - Top - End - #14
    Ettin in the Playground

Zombie

Quote Originally Posted by Lunali View Post
    There are a few prebuilt ships, some potential upgrades, rules for crew in and out of combat, and rules for ship combat and travel. Would have to actually play with them a bit to know how good they are, but they definitely exist.
    Thanks. The info in this thread is pushing me off the fence on buying it.

15. - Top - End - #15
    Orc in the Playground

OldWizardGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Merudo View Post

There's a sea lion.

16. - Top - End - #16

Quote Originally Posted by Merudo View Post

There are a few beasts! The giant sea eel is CR 1/2, the sea lion is CR 1/2, the giant white moray eel is CR 2, and the giant coral snake is CR 4. There's also a sahuagin hatchling swarm at CR 3, which is classified as a beast for some reason, and a unique CR 1/8 awakened crab named Barnacle Bess, which belongs to an NPC.

17. - Top - End - #17
    Ettin in the Playground

ClericGirl

I got mine. Yay. Began reading it. (Wow, small print again!)
    I'll get back to you in a week after I've read the whole thing. I'll be running the first adventure with a biweekly group starting in June.
    Quote Originally Posted by Malifice View Post
    (paraphrased) Rulings are not 'House Rules.' Rulings are a DM doing what DMs are supposed to do.
    Quote Originally Posted by greenstone View Post
    Player agency doesn't mean they get to roll for everything. Agency means that they control their character's actions; you control the world's reactions to the character's actions.
    Gosh, 2D8HP, you are so very correct (and also quite handsome) or so I am told ... by 2D8HP

18. - Top - End - #18

DwarfFighterGuy

Just finished the section on Saltmarsh town. I really like how they set it up! Even though this is just a hub-town, there's 3 major factions (one evil, 2 neutral) who all have reasonable agendas and resources. Rather than your classic good vs evil, law vs chaos, nature vs civilization, it's a much more grounded struggle between the low-key themes of wanting to unify with the neighboring kingdom or sticking to the old ways of low-key smuggling. Both sides have all alignments arrayed on them, so it's a good, complicated struggle.

It's also dripping with plot hooks, which is awesome!

19. - Top - End - #19
    Halfling in the Playground

Considering I spent most of the winter months re-writing the original U1: Sinister Secrets of Saltmarsh for 5th edition so my son and his friends could play. And considering I didn't really want or feel to do the same to U2 and U3, I might buy this just to mix into what I do, or fully incorporate it except for the U1 adventure (the house and smuggler ship).

I'm a huge old-school Greyhawk fan too, so that's going to be my setting for as long as I play D&D anymore. Just can't give it up.

20. - Top - End - #20
    Orc in the Playground

OldWizardGuy

Got mine today with the alt cover. Perused the appendices but that's about it. Looks okay.

21. - Top - End - #21

Quote Originally Posted by darknite View Post
    Got mine today with the alt cover. Perused the appendices but that's about it. Looks okay.
    Ok! Ok! I think we can do better than that!
    It has the Charles atlas seal of approval.

- sorry couldn’t help myself.

22. - Top - End - #22
    Ettin in the Playground

Zombie

Quote Originally Posted by 8wGremlin View Post
    Ok! Ok! I think we can do better than that!
    It has the Charles atlas seal of approval.

- sorry couldn’t help myself.
    Nice one Frankie.

23. - Top - End - #23
    Pixie in the Playground

DwarfFighterGuy

I've done a full review of it if you're on the fence and need a bit more info.
    Ghosts of Saltmarsh - Review

I really like the back of the book content (ships and water based adventures) as well as the details provided on the village of Saltmarsh itself.

24. - Top - End - #24
    Titan in the Playground

Imp

Quote Originally Posted by allthingslich View Post

I really like the back of the book content (ships and water based adventures) as well as the details provided on the village of Saltmarsh itself.
    What can you tell us about the new monsters, if you don't mind me asking?
    Last edited by Unoriginal; 2019-05-23 at 10:17 AM.

25. - Top - End - #25

DwarfFighterGuy

Quote Originally Posted by allthingslich View Post

Thanks for the review! I enjoyed

26. - Top - End - #26
    Ogre in the Playground

NinjaGuy

My gf got me a copy of it and gave it to me last night, I'm really excited at looking over it.
    Always looking for critique of my 5E homebrew!
    Including new Base Classes, a better Ranger, and Subclasses based on:
    • Books
    • TV Shows
    • Marvel Cinematic Universe
    • League of Legends IP
    • Current series: Planeswalker-themed Subclasses based on Magic: The Gathering's War of the Sparks
    And MORE!
    Quote Originally Posted by Bjarkmundur View Post
    ... does this stuff just come naturally to you? Do you even have to try anymore xD
    Quote Originally Posted by Man_Over_Game View Post
    Vogie is the sh**. I don't really have anything to contribute to the topic, just wanted to point that out.

27. - Top - End - #27
    Firbolg in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by KorvinStarmast View Post
    I got mine. Yay. Began reading it. (Wow, small print again!)
    I'll get back to you in a week after I've read the whole thing. I'll be running the first adventure with a biweekly group starting in June.

Your players are a lucky crew!

Quote Originally Posted by deljzc View Post
    ...I'm a huge old-school Greyhawk fan too, so that's going to be my setting for as long as I play D&D anymore. Just can't give it up.

It's not just Greyhawk, it's old Greyhawk, there's a brief mention of "The Great Kingdom" and the "Overking"!

What can you tell us about the new monsters, if you don't mind me asking?

There's a lot of them, mostly nautical themed but not all
    Spoiler: a sample
    Show
    Vampiric Jade Statue
    A large exquisitely carved jade statue of a vampire guards the tunnels in Isle of the Abbey, having been brought to life by dark magic. Its stone fangs draw blood that it uses to work a curse on its victims.
    Large construct unsigned
    Armor Class 14 (natural armor)
    Hit Points 114 (12d10 ÷ 48)
    Speed 30ft.
    LEGENDARY ACTIONS
    The statue can take 3 legendary actions, choosing from the options below. Only one legendary action option can be used at a time and only at the end of another creative's turn. The statue regains spent legendary actiond at the start if its turn

Bite. The statue makes one bite attack.
    Blood Reaper. All creature currently cursed by the statue and within 20 feet of it take 5 neurotic damage.
    Move. The statue moves up to its speed without provoking opportunity attacks.
    Grim specter of noogie hangs like shroud over us all

Extended Sig

PBP's

Quote Originally Posted by JoeJ View Post
    Does the game you play feature a Dragon sitting on a pile of treasure, in a Dungeon?
    Quote Originally Posted by Ninja_Prawn View Post
    You're an NPC stat block."I remember when your race was your class you damned whippersnappers"
    Snazzy Avatar by Honest Tiefling!

28. - Top - End - #28

Kobold

Skum have a cool new design.

Spoiler
    Show
    Last edited by Envyus; 2019-05-24 at 02:32 AM.

29. - Top - End - #29

d20 Re: Ghosts of Satlmarsh: already out?

Quote Originally Posted by 2D8HP View Post
    It's not just Greyhawk, it's old Greyhawk, there's a brief mention of "The Great Kingdom" and the "Overking"!
    I had just asked on Canonfire! what the module's starting year could be, and I suppose that certainly narrows it down; I recall hearing ages ago that they wanted to reboot the WORLD OF GREYHAWK® back to 576 CY, and as an ardent fan of 3e… I'm honestly not against that.

Hell, when contemplating converting my plane-hopping 3e sorceress, Quintessa, to 5e, I had thought of her visiting Toril just as the Spellplague hits and ending up frozen by a variant temporal stasis. Eventually she's freed only to find that not only has a 100+ years passed, but the temporal connection between Oerth and Toril has altered so that she'd return the Oerth of "the past" — possibly an Oerth where she was never born.
    3e5e : Quintessa's Dweomerdrain (Drain power from a magic item to fuel your spells)
    3e │ 5e : Quintessa's Dweomershield (Protect target from the full effects of a magic item)
    3e │ 5e : Hordling Generator (Edit "cr=" in the address bar to adjust the Challenge Rating)
    3e │ 5e : Battle Sorcerer Tables (For Unearthed Arcana)
    3e │ 5e : Scion (Sorcerous Origin)
    URNOTE

30. - Top - End - #30
    Halfling in the Playground

RogueGuy

It's essentially the Ships and Sea UA. I haven't compared them to see what changes, if any, where made.