The Order of the Stick: Utterly Dwarfed
The Order of the Stick: Utterly Dwarfed - Coming in December and available for pre-order now
Page 9 of 38 FirstFirst 1234567891011121314151617181934 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #241
    Orc in the Playground

Imp

Default Re: DM & Players required for a Custom Tristalt PF.5 game in an Overlord-esque world

Quote Originally Posted by thethird View Post
    I would personally like to give chronicles of legends a read.

For what is worth "with this sword" would be a very nice capstone for soulknife / aegis if applied to mindblade / astral suit.
    You're certainly not wrong, but it does require a little bit of GM fiat to work on class features like an Astral Suit or a Mindblade that are basically remade each time they are used. That, and I don't think I'll be able to apply it to both my Astral Suit and my Mindblade.

Given that you can't take alternate capstones if you took an archetype that trades your capstone, I can pretty much only take it on Aegis or Daevic, but the Daevic capstone gives them the all-important Body Bind, so that ain't gonna fly.

Also, I'm not even sure what I'd spend an extra 100k on concerning my astral suit/mindblade. I might need something custom made, which would of course require more GM fiat.

The one that just gives stats was really just a safer option, IMHO.

2. - Top - End - #242
    Bugbear in the Playground

Default Re: DM & Players required for a Custom Tristalt PF.5 game in an Overlord-esque world

Some of those are certainly better than others...

I would prefer to read the Chronicles of Legend myself, rather than get it through a second-hand source. As I'm sure there is more to it than those capstones... but if it can't be shared for some reason. What does the Bard and the Vigilante have as possible capstone replacements?

3. - Top - End - #243

HalflingPirate

Need to fill out 5 levels, so requesting LA for:

- Archon Graced (Star Archon)

- Celestial-Blessed (Astral Deva)
    3.99 Project, Trying to Improve the 3.5 version, current fixes:

- Soulknife Fix
    - Samurai Rework
    - Paladin Fix

4. - Top - End - #244
    Orc in the Playground

Imp

Quote Originally Posted by Storyteller_Arc View Post
    Some of those are certainly better than others...

I would prefer to read the Chronicles of Legend myself, rather than get it through a second-hand source. As I'm sure there is more to it than those capstones... but if it can't be shared for some reason. What does the Bard and the Vigilante have as possible capstone replacements?
    Barring the GM, I'm not going to put an online link to the book until at least 2 weeks after it's release. Despite me not caring too much about Paizo, I still don't want people to not support the offcial release, so I think this is probably for the best. The thing released on May 29, so it might take a while.

That said, you're right that there's more to the book than just capstones. Occult prestige classes, new feats for old prestige classes, alternate abilities for a few classes, new items, and some bonuses for wearing item sets.

At any rate, Bard capstone:
    Bard—Adoring Fan (Su): At 20th level, the bard can use his performance to convert even the toughest audience. To be affected, a target must be able to see and hear the bard perform for 1 full round and be within 30 feet. The target can attempt a Will save (DC = 10 + half the bard’s level + the bard’s Charisma modifier) to negate the effect. If a creature succeeds at the saving throw, the bard cannot use this ability on that creature again for 24 hours. On a failure, the creature is dominated (as dominate monster) for as long as the bard keeps playing and is charmed (as charm monster) for 1d4 hours thereafter. Adoring fan is a mind-affecting, compulsion effect that relies on audible and visual components.
    Vigilante capstone:
    Vigilante—Past Your Limits (Ex): At 20th level, the vigilante has learned to stretch himself to do what he never thought he could before. The vigilante gains one additional social talent and one additional vigilante talent. This bonus vigilante talent is not subject to specialization requirements—a stalker can select an avenger-only talent, and vice versa. At the GM’s discretion, the vigilante can instead select an archetype-only vigilante talent, such as the cabalist’s living shadow.

5. - Top - End - #245

So the Alchemist gains 2 Discoveries and a super discovery, whilst a Vigilante just gets 2 different talents? Sounds about fair.

Quote Originally Posted by Kaouse View Post
    That said, you're right that there's more to the book than just capstones. Occult prestige classes, new feats for old prestige classes, alternate abilities for a few classes, new items, and some bonuses for wearing item sets.
    All of that sounds prertty amazing, I won't like.

Can you PM me a link or something? I would love to have a proper read of it, even if I can't actually use most of the content in this game.
    Last edited by Storyteller_Arc; 2019-05-31 at 01:34 PM.

6. - Top - End - #246

RedKnightGirl

Quote Originally Posted by Morcleon View Post
    See above note. Master Spellthief does not actually raise your caster level, simply increasing your effective caster level for Steal Spell.
    It actually does, as a secondary characteristic. Though I'm not taking too many levels in Spellthief, so it wouldn't add up to be that much if we truly do count it like that.
    Your spellthief and arcane spellcaster levels also stack when determining your caster level for all arcane spells.

(At least, if that was you not knowing what the feat did, and wasn't instead you making a specific ruling on how Master Spellthief works in this game. If that was a ruling rather than a misreading, that's 100% fine too.)
    Last edited by Epinephrine_Syn; 2019-05-31 at 11:01 AM.

7. - Top - End - #247
    Ogre in the Playground

Well I may as well join in on the capstone questions.

So what do they do for a class that doesn't have a capstone?

What does the investigator get as an alternate capstone.
    Custom avatar by Emperor Ing

8. - Top - End - #248

Given that you can't take alternate capstones if you took an archetype that trades your capstone
    Well, the patch notes indicate we can pick and choose which Archetype features we use and are not required to take the entire archetype so you could just choose to not trade your capstone to the archetype and instead trade it for an alternate capstone.
    A man who dies fighting with his principles intact dies in glory. To expect enemies to follow the same code of honor defiles that honor, reducing it to a set of arbitrary rules.

9. - Top - End - #249
    Orc in the Playground

Imp

Quote Originally Posted by redfeline View Post
    Well I may as well join in on the capstone questions.

So what do they do for a class that doesn't have a capstone?
    The wizard and the cleric are the only two that don't normally get capstones. Despite being Tier 1 classes though, Paizo gotta Paizo, so they basically get to take their alternate capstone (whether class specific or not) for free.

Spoiler: Rules on Alternate Capstones
    Show

When a character reaches the 20th level of a class, she gains a powerful class feature or ability, sometimes referred to as a capstone. The following section provides new capstones for characters to select at 20th level. A character can select one of the following capstones in place of the capstone provided by her class. Some capstones are for specific classes, while others are for a range of classes that qualify for them. In some cases, a capstone specifies what ability it replaces. A character can’t select a new capstone if she has previously traded away her class capstone via an archetype. Clerics and wizards can receive a capstone at 20th level, despite not having one to begin with.

What does the investigator get as an alternate capstone.
    Spoiler: Investigator Alternate Capstone
    Show
    Investigator—Deadly Study (Ex): At 20th level, the investigator knows just how to hit where it hurts. The investigator increases the bonus from studied combat by 4, and his studied strike damage increases by 3d6.

Quote Originally Posted by Warlawk View Post
    Well, the patch notes indicate we can pick and choose which Archetype features we use and are not required to take the entire archetype so you could just choose to not trade your capstone to the archetype and instead trade it for an alternate capstone.
    You know, I totally forgot about the mix-and-match archetype thing. That...would actually be pretty useful for my Aegis, as I could mix and match from the Ascendant and the Host of Heroes. Host of Heroes also gets a pretty nice capstone, as well as really good reasons to stay in the class. So I guess this means no Alternate Capstone for me, then. Heh.

10. - Top - End - #250
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Morcleon View Post
    Please link the specific trait so that we can ensure that we are reviewing the correct content.
    It is from psionics augmented compilation 2, previously appearing in one of the books about soulknives.

It allows a Soulknife to add a specific weapon property to the list of weapon properties he can add to his mindblade (It doesnt give it for free).

You're certainly not wrong, but it does require a little bit of GM fiat to work on class features like an Astral Suit or a Mindblade that are basically remade each time they are used. That, and I don't think I'll be able to apply it to both my Astral Suit and my Mindblade.

Given that you can't take alternate capstones if you took an archetype that trades your capstone, I can pretty much only take it on Aegis or Daevic, but the Daevic capstone gives them the all-important Body Bind, so that ain't gonna fly.

Also, I'm not even sure what I'd spend an extra 100k on concerning my astral suit/mindblade. I might need something custom made, which would of course require more GM fiat.

The one that just gives stats was really just a safer option, IMHO.
    It works on an arcane bond so it probably would work on other class features.

Also I was not suggesting you take them I was considering it myself

Aegis // Soulknife goes very well with a psionics based character.

@Admin could I take the capstones and apply them to the mindblade and astral suit? One capstone per class i.e. soulknife and Aegis taking the capstone. I would assume that the 200k gp are against wealth by level.

Also, wondering what's the LA for primordial giant (secrets of xendrik) it is LA 0 in the original source but... just making sure.

The psychic mage switching things around is a bit confusing.

Psionic infusion replaces arcane school. Formulaic power replaces nothing. Arcane power replaces nothing. Arcanomorph replaces nothing. I am assuming that those go together as a pack (and they are all replacing arcane school, if that's not the case... well all the more fun)

What gods if any are available? Can I revere mystra? (I am considering taking initiate of mystra, which goes a long way into negating antimagic fields)

What do we do if a feat exists in pathfinder and 3.5? Also what if they are totally different? Persistent spell exists on both but do completely different things.
    Last edited by thethird; 2019-06-01 at 06:38 AM.

11. - Top - End - #251

NecromancerGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Stevesciguy View Post
    Starting level 20, tristalt

Pathfinder, with 3.5 content allowed, and homebrew reviewed upon request. Dreamscarred Press and spheres allowed automatically

Starting gold 880,000

25 point buy, max health each level

One tier 1 or 2 flexible 9th level vancian casting class maximum

Templates need to be run by Admin for LA assignment

LA only takes up one side of your tristalt

All standard races allowed, no monstrous characters

You can pick and choose features from archetypes, still replacing things, but you don't have to take a whole archetype

Fractional bab and saves, get the +2 on good saves only once

Classes with 2+Int skills get boosted to 4+int

Feat every level

2 traits, 2 flaws

You can stack items onto each other without increasing costs

No pregame crafting
    Thank you.

Now to get an idea together, may just try a Storm Kindler because, hey, why not play as a tornado if you can.

Another question for anyone, what qualifies a tier one or two casting class? is there a list anywhere?

build wise the basic plan is Druid or shaman going into Storm Kindler, a spherecaster for weather control, and something else (kineticist?). I may also take a monk dip to boost tornado damage as it is based on unarmed strike.

I do not know if I would use it but can I get a ruling for level adjustment for Implacable Stalker please?
    Last edited by ThreadNecro5; 2019-05-31 at 04:45 PM.
    my homebrew signature:
    here on page 9

12. - Top - End - #252

Quote Originally Posted by ThreadNecro5 View Post
    Thank you.

Now to get an idea together, may just try a Storm Kindler because, hey, why not play as a tornado if you can.

Another question for anyone, what qualifies a tier one or two casting class? is there a list anywhere?

build wise the basic plan is Druid or shaman going into Storm Kindler, a spherecaster for weather control, and something else (kineticist?). I may also take a monk dip to boost tornado damage as it is based on unarmed strike.

I do not know if I would use it but can I get a ruling for level adjustment for Implacable Stalker please?
    Tier 1 and 2 casting classes in this case are any vancian classes that get 9th level spells that get to choose their spell list.

This is stuff like:

Sorcerer
    Wizard
    Arcanist
    Druid
    Cleric

Classes that get 9th level spells, but have fixed spell lists, do not count as your one class. Similarly, classes that can cast 9th level equivalent effects but not vancian spells, such as Incanter, also do not count

13. - Top - End - #253

You know, I totally forgot about the mix-and-match archetype thing. That...would actually be pretty useful for my Aegis, as I could mix and match from the Ascendant and the Host of Heroes. Host of Heroes also gets a pretty nice capstone, as well as really good reasons to stay in the class. So I guess this means no Alternate Capstone for me, then. Heh.
    Sadly Living Legends' protagonist's abilities and the Moonlight Mediant's In Wolves’ Clothing replace overlapping Blade Skills, so you can't blend those two archetypes together. But, you can pick up Savage Pursuit (+20ft of movement before I make a Mind Blade Attack? Just for Throw Mind Blade? Jackpot~) and Controlled Composition (+2 Strength or Dex when Mind Blade is up. Good Flight, Climb Speed, Swim Speed and Water Breathing? All for one Blade Skill? Yes Please~).

Also, don't forget you can pick up the other Archetypes unique Talents as well. If your going a Crit Fisher, consider Shadow Critical from the Ghostwalker. Burn your Psionic Focus on a Crit (and then just gain it back again! :D) in order to give a foe Vunrablity to Positive or Negative Energy Damage until the end of your turn. How does letting that Cleric's Harm do an extra 75 damage feel? Or maybe you got a Kineticist around? They have access to both types of Energy Damage!. Or maybe you can pick up Night Blade, and have all your Mind blade hits do Negative Energy Damage?

14. - Top - End - #254
    Titan in the Playground

I'm definitely excited about the upcoming patch, and hope I'll have the opportunity to play! I have a few questions for our amazing admin:

• What sort of interfaces work best with Dragons of Alnia? Can it be played with the old keyboard and mouse, or is specialized full-immersion technology required?
    • How is the world of Alnia populated? Mainly, what sort of AI systems are in place, and what does the player base look like in comparison to monsters and NPCs?
    • I've heard some whispers about Dragons of Alnia working with content creators to set up custom dungeons and quests, as well as even bosses run by contractors or volunteers. Is this true?
    • Finally, I'd like to ask about the possibility of implementing the Ebon Initiate, with a bonus necromantic invocation set, and the Lost Spheres Reaper class designed for the Spheres of Power/Might subsystem.

Spoiler
    Show
    I thought it'd be fun to do a little bit of in character talking myself, but I also want to be clear. So...

I'm looking to learn a little bit about the system behing Alnia. First, the interface, whether its some kind of VR headset, or something that can be played on computer. Also whether NPCs exist. I'm also interested in how the game is going to handle the 'you're in the game world now' twist. Are people just going to be locked into playing the game somehow, or will they enter the world? How 'real' is that world going to be? I know it might spoil things a little, but I'll be able to create a much more suitable character with that knowledge.

My 'custom dungeons and quests' question ties into the character concept I'm considering - basically, a content creator who has played the game more as a player-driven dungeon boss than the typical adventuring hero. Someone who has set up a big lair, stocked it with stuff, and made the typical dungeon run more interesting for players by adding a personal touch. I like the concept because it lets me play with all the flavor of a big villain without really being one, and also provides us with a nifty base of operations.

The plan is to play a necromancer - currently I'm looking at Ebon Initiate // Sage // Reaper, but there are a couple implications there I want to make sure of. First, the nature and number of NPCs, monsters, and the nature of game immersion is important to determining what kind of necromancy I can do without being a horrible person. Second, I do want to be able to have a bunch of undead, but I'm not particularly interested in using minionmancy to add to our party: I just want them in the background, building up my base and providing other weird utility. Would that avoid your concerns over leadership and similar abilities?

15. - Top - End - #255

How long do we have to rebuild our characters before the path goes live?

That is to say: when's the deadline?

Also, how much player input do we have on the lore? For example, if I wanted to write up a guild to be part of my character's(that is, the character inside the VR game) background, could I do so?
    Last edited by Stevesciguy; 2019-05-31 at 11:43 PM.

16. - Top - End - #256
    Ogre in the Playground

Can you use the wish spell to give a familiar an inherent bonus?

17. - Top - End - #257
    Orc in the Playground

Imp

Quote Originally Posted by Storyteller_Arc View Post
    Sadly Living Legends' protagonist's abilities and the Moonlight Mediant's In Wolves’ Clothing replace overlapping Blade Skills, so you can't blend those two archetypes together. But, you can pick up Savage Pursuit (+20ft of movement before I make a Mind Blade Attack? Just for Throw Mind Blade? Jackpot~) and Controlled Composition (+2 Strength or Dex when Mind Blade is up. Good Flight, Climb Speed, Swim Speed and Water Breathing? All for one Blade Skill? Yes Please~).

Also, don't forget you can pick up the other Archetypes unique Talents as well. If your going a Crit Fisher, consider Shadow Critical from the Ghostwalker. Burn your Psionic Focus on a Crit (and then just gain it back again! :D) in order to give a foe Vunrablity to Positive or Negative Energy Damage until the end of your turn. How does letting that Cleric's Harm do an extra 75 damage feel? Or maybe you got a Kineticist around? They have access to both types of Energy Damage!. Or maybe you can pick up Night Blade, and have all your Mind blade hits do Negative Energy Damage?
    I don't often care too much about damage, but those Moonlight Meditant abilities seem really great! Thanks for the tip.

18. - Top - End - #258
    Troll in the Playground

GnomeWizardGuy

Default Re: Table Update

Player Character Sheet Completion Status
    Drako_Beoulve Astrid Lightbringer WIP
    Anti-Eagle Armand Uncarnate Complete pending lore change and approval...
    ptrcz09
    Heavenblade
    Gunhaven
    samduke Naomi Complete
    Nightraiderx
    JMS
    Aegis013 Aegis - aka "Sir Smite-a-Lot" Complete
    RoTWS
    Lix Lorn Elixia dis gonn take a while
    JNAProductions No name yet WIP
    Warlawk
    greenpotato Lord Bison WIP
    Quantumphear
    Stevesciguy Zak Firebrand WIP
    paradox26
    thethird
    Snowbluff
    Hellfire014
    Chromascope3D
    Scarlet Thirst
    Denomar
    redfeline
    Storyteller_Arc
    wantgame
    Thokk_Smash
    Suzune
    Jack_Simth
    Epinephrine_Syn Rachel WIP

With a few minor tweaks after DM clarification, Sir Smite-a-Lot is done. I'll probably go through and touch up backstory points, but there should be enough there to work with.
    Quote Originally Posted by Thatwarforged View Post
    You sir are a True Pirate Lord.

19. - Top - End - #259
    Titan in the Playground

Non specific class capstones are as follows:

If anybody wants to see the class specific alternate capstones, just let me know which class you're interested in. Again though, only the 1st party Paizo classes have alternate capstones.
    Is there one for the Summoner? Twin Eidolon really doesn't strike my fancy.
    Of course, by the time I finish this post, it will already be obsolete. C'est la vie.

20. - Top - End - #260
    Orc in the Playground

Lizardfolk

ptrcz09
    Heavenblade
    Gunhaven
    samduke Naomi Complete
    Nightraiderx
    JMS
    RoTWS
    Warlawk
    Quantumphear Myrsirim Completed, build notes here
    paradox26
    thethird
    Snowbluff
    Hellfire014
    Chromascope3D
    Scarlet Thirst
    Denomar
    redfeline
    Storyteller_Arc
    wantgame
    Thokk_Smash
    Suzune
    Jack_Simth

Updated
    Oh geez, this should probably be meaningful or something.

21. - Top - End - #261
    Ogre in the Playground

Very much still a WiP sheet, I will have a lot of time to work on it soon. My wife will be induced into labor tomorrow. So I may not be working on the character for a few days.

Wish me luck as player four is about to join my family.

edit: forgot to link the sheet.
    Last edited by redfeline; 2019-06-01 at 12:48 AM.

22. - Top - End - #262

I'm working on my courtier character (aka submission number two) and I've somehow ended up with every class skill except autohypnosis and iaijutsu focus.

Ironically, at level 10 and level 15 I also get Versatile two more times. Anyone have any funny ideas for other skills for the character to gain?
    All Hail Fun!
    Quote Originally Posted by Cardea View Post
    No... no... its... its supposed to be 'then'... NO. DENOMAR OUT. YOU HAVE RUINED EVERYTHING.
    New Sexy Mordrent Avatar via Tiffany Lirle! I bow down to her sense of fun.

23. - Top - End - #263

So Aegis quoted an earlier table and trimmed a few of us out, I assume by accident (unless they're feeling REALLY competitive about getting into this game). Might want to check and be sure your character is still linked here. Anything between my character post and Aegis' table post probably got left out. I know Gunhaven was trimmed as well but I'm a few too many vodkas in to fix that

Spoiler: Character Submission Table
    Show
    ptrcz09
    Heavenblade
    Gunhaven
    samduke Naomi Complete
    Nightraiderx
    JMS
    RoTWS
    Warlawk Oblivion/Jorge - Submission Post WIP
    paradox26
    thethird
    Snowbluff
    Hellfire014
    Chromascope3D
    Scarlet Thirst
    Denomar
    redfeline
    Storyteller_Arc
    wantgame
    Thokk_Smash
    Suzune
    Jack_Simth
    Last edited by Warlawk; 2019-06-01 at 02:12 AM.
    A man who dies fighting with his principles intact dies in glory. To expect enemies to follow the same code of honor defiles that honor, reducing it to a set of arbitrary rules.

24. - Top - End - #264
    Ettin in the Playground

I was gonna plug myself back in once I get closer to being done.

I'm unsure if Barrage and Cluster Toss (from Alchemy) stack, for example. Or if having multiple hands matter when it comes to chucking all of the Aligned Liquids/Thunderstones at these Balors. I figure I can pretty easily hit the 60 DC to do 12d4 damage to probably all 4 of them with each AL, it's just the matter of chucking 13 of them before I go back to my timeless demiplane.
    Back on my normal work schedule. Updates will happen when I can finangle them at work or on my nights off on Monday and Friday (unless I get caught up doing something else).

Your understanding is appreciated.

25. - Top - End - #265
    Orc in the Playground

Imp

I mean, my sheet is still a work in progress, but can somebody add me tot the table? Here's my current sheet.

26. - Top - End - #266
    Troll in the Playground

GnomeWizardGuy

So Aegis quoted an earlier table and trimmed a few of us out, I assume by accident (unless they're feeling REALLY competitive about getting into this game). Might want to check and be sure your character is still linked here. Anything between my character post and Aegis' table post probably got left out. I know Gunhaven was trimmed as well but I'm a few too many vodkas in to fix that
    Yikes. I thought I had grabbed the most recent table. My mistake and I apologize to anyone inconvenienced. Once I'm on my desktop and not mobile I'll go back and make sure the table is totally current.

I know it was a joke, but I'm not THAT competitive about getting in. I'd like to, but even if I don't get selected, I still got to have fun building a character. I'd rather cooperate than compete.
    Quote Originally Posted by Thatwarforged View Post
    You sir are a True Pirate Lord.

27. - Top - End - #267

ptrcz09
    Heavenblade
    Gunhaven
    samduke Naomi Complete
    Nightraiderx
    JMS
    RoTWS
    Warlawk Oblivion/Jorge - Submission Post WIP
    paradox26
    thethird
    Snowbluff
    Hellfire014
    Chromascope3D
    Scarlet Thirst
    Denomar
    redfeline
    Storyteller_Arc
    wantgame
    Thokk_Smash
    Suzune
    Jack_Simth
    Kaouse Dr. Tenma WIP

Added Kaouse in

28. - Top - End - #268

Quote Originally Posted by Aegis013 View Post
    Yikes. I thought I had grabbed the most recent table. My mistake and I apologize to anyone inconvenienced. Once I'm on my desktop and not mobile I'll go back and make sure the table is totally current.

I know it was a joke, but I'm not THAT competitive about getting in. I'd like to, but even if I don't get selected, I still got to have fun building a character. I'd rather cooperate than compete.
    No worries man, just poking fun . I think the lists you missed were all spoilered to keep the thread size down and it's easy to miss. I'm totally with you on the fun of building the character, I've discovered a bunch of things that I was peripherally aware of without truly understanding while making this one, which is always very cool.

29. - Top - End - #269

No worries man, just poking fun . I think the lists you missed were all spoilered to keep the thread size down and it's easy to miss. I'm totally with you on the fun of building the character, I've discovered a bunch of things that I was peripherally aware of without truly understanding while making this one, which is always very cool.
    Yeah, I'm basically addicted to character building. I apply to too many games. It's also why you find me in so many gestalt/tristalt threads - more tracks means MOAR CHARACTER BUILDING

30. - Top - End - #270
    Titan in the Playground

Do I "win" by pointing out that I've found a way to make nine character sheets for one game?

I am definitely losing. This is losing. ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh I have SO MUCH TO DO
    Last edited by Lix Lorn; 2019-06-01 at 12:56 PM.
    Recent Homebrew: The Socialite | The Crystalline: Memory Altering Construct Race | Sanguine Hand, a ToB Discipline of blood and cruelty
    Homebrew Signature | NEW Homebrew Collection
    Thanks to all my avatar artists, especially to Paisley for my avatar of Vivian, cowardly cryophoenix.
    Quote Originally Posted by Thanqol View Post
    It's like the feng shui version of an orbital death laser.