The Order of the Stick: Utterly Dwarfed
The Order of the Stick: Utterly Dwarfed - Coming in December and available for pre-order now
Page 12 of 13 FirstFirst ... 2345678910111213 LastLast
Results 331 to 360 of 375
  1. - Top - End - #331
    Barbarian in the Playground
     
    BardGuy

    Join Date
    Oct 2008

    Default Re: OOTS #1164 - The Discussion Thread

    Quote Originally Posted by Ironsmith View Post
    A pan-galactic gargle blaster, of course. (He does frequent Milliway's, after all...)
    Barely in time for Towel Day. For the Western Hemisphere, at least.

  2. - Top - End - #332
    Dragon in the Playground Moderator
     
    Peelee's Avatar

    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Birmingham, AL
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: OOTS #1164 - The Discussion Thread

    Quote Originally Posted by Jaxzan Proditor View Post
    You know, I didn't really need the extra push, but this pun is enough for me to officially support whatever your theory of Gontor's abilities happens to be.
    That is the most sensible thought I've ever seen on this forum.
    The Mod on the Silver Mountain avatar by the wonderfully talented Cuthalion!

    If anyone has a crayon drawing they would like to put on the Kickstarter Reward Collection Thread, PM me.

  3. - Top - End - #333
    Ogre in the Playground
     
    Ruck's Avatar

    Join Date
    Oct 2015
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: OOTS #1164 - The Discussion Thread

    Quote Originally Posted by Goblin_Priest View Post
    Corollary, I think a lot of people that "don't like hops" just don't like the handful of super-citrous that basically every single craft brewery abuses of. Seems like at least half of all IPAs now contain Citra. Add in the next 3 most popular similar hops, and that's probably well over 95% of IPAs.

    I love hops, hate Citra.
    Mosaic is probably my favorite hop for a pale ale / IPA. I mostly prefer pilsners as a go-to though. Crisp and clean and refreshing.

  4. - Top - End - #334
    Bugbear in the Playground
    Join Date
    Mar 2019
    Location
    Magrathea
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: OOTS #1164 - The Discussion Thread

    Quote Originally Posted by Grey_Wolf_c View Post
    ...

    I don't drink alcohol. So you're going to owe me that beer for quite some time, I'm afraid.

    Grey Wolf
    Ginger Ale and Root Beer are delightful things, eh?
    An explanation of why MitD being any larger than Huge is implausible.

    See my extended signature here! May contain wit, candor, and somewhere from 52 to 8127 walruses.

    Purple is humorous descriptions made up on the fly
    Green is serious talk about hypothetical
    Blue is irony and sarcasm


    "I think, therefore I am,
    I walk, therefore I stand,
    I sleep, therefore I dream;
    I joke, therefore I meme."
    -Squire Doodad

  5. - Top - End - #335
    Barbarian in the Playground
     
    Lizardfolk

    Join Date
    Feb 2017

    Default Re: OOTS #1164 - The Discussion Thread

    Quote Originally Posted by jokem View Post
    No, pour the beer into my mouth to greatly enhance my gaming experience.
    That is the only appropriate action...
    Sorry I play j-rpgs. If I want you to drink something I throw it at you.

  6. - Top - End - #336
    Dwarf in the Playground
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    Arizona (love it)
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: OOTS #1164 - The Discussion Thread

    Quote Originally Posted by Riftwolf View Post
    Sorry I play j-rpgs. If I want you to drink something I throw it at you.
    Sounds like a waster of good beer.

  7. - Top - End - #337
    Banned
     
    zimmerwald1915's Avatar

    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    Lake Wobegon
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: OOTS #1164 - The Discussion Thread

    Quote Originally Posted by jokem View Post
    Sounds like a waster of good beer.
    Again, it's a JRPG. That which is thrown at one is necessarily cider.

  8. - Top - End - #338
    Dwarf in the Playground
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    Arizona (love it)
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: OOTS #1164 - The Discussion Thread

    Quote Originally Posted by zimmerwald1915 View Post
    Again, it's a JRPG. That which is thrown at one is necessarily cider.
    That does not tell me what cider on...

  9. - Top - End - #339
    Bugbear in the Playground
    Join Date
    Mar 2019
    Location
    Magrathea
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: OOTS #1164 - The Discussion Thread

    Quote Originally Posted by zimmerwald1915 View Post
    Again, it's a JRPG. That which is thrown at one is necessarily cider.
    If its proper alcohol, you need to be a Chemist to be able to !Drink it.
    An explanation of why MitD being any larger than Huge is implausible.

    See my extended signature here! May contain wit, candor, and somewhere from 52 to 8127 walruses.

    Purple is humorous descriptions made up on the fly
    Green is serious talk about hypothetical
    Blue is irony and sarcasm


    "I think, therefore I am,
    I walk, therefore I stand,
    I sleep, therefore I dream;
    I joke, therefore I meme."
    -Squire Doodad

  10. - Top - End - #340
    Bugbear in the Playground
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    Virginia
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: OOTS #1164 - The Discussion Thread

    Is it just me, or does the Giant get more reaction to compelling character development / dialog and world building than he does from action? Also the worm seems to have the same kind of personality that the writers of the new Ducktales gave to Launchpad McQuack...

  11. - Top - End - #341
    Halfling in the Playground
     
    GnomeWizardGuy

    Join Date
    Feb 2019

    Default Re: OOTS #1164 - The Discussion Thread

    Action gives us less to analyze. Character development and world building give us endless opportunities for speculation.

  12. - Top - End - #342
    Ogre in the Playground
     
    RedWizardGuy

    Join Date
    Jan 2015
    Location
    Brazil
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: OOTS #1164 - The Discussion Thread

    Quote Originally Posted by ijuinkun View Post
    Action gives us less to analyze. Character development and world building give us endless opportunities for speculation.
    And speculation is kinda our middle name

    D. "Speculation" One
    Each one of us, alone, is but a drop in the sea
    Our powers pale compared with the great heroes
    Our battles don’t hit theheadlines or shake the earth
    But they are few, can’t be everywhere, and we, many
    So, when the world or universe needs saving, they come
    But when people needs saving, we are the ones to appear
    We're underdogs, but we rise up to the challenge to be heroes.
    (Wishing Joe, a low-powered superhero)

    "I really like the Geek Math'ology we do here"

  13. - Top - End - #343
    Ettin in the Playground
     
    ClericGirl

    Join Date
    May 2015
    Location
    Texas
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: OOTS #1164 - The Discussion Thread

    Quote Originally Posted by Peelee View Post
    Dammit, I only drink a couple times a year and it's never beer when I do. So now what am I supposed to do with this beer?
    o/ raises hand ...
    Quote Originally Posted by zimmerwald1915 View Post
    It isn't, but refined sugar and carbonic acid are quite bad enough.
    Buzz kill, even on root beer?
    Quote Originally Posted by Ruck View Post
    I don't really understand the whole push for IPAs in the craft beer movement. I like my beer crisp and clean, not fit for a transcontinental voyage.{snip to next post} I mostly prefer pilsners as a go-to though. Crisp and clean and refreshing.
    Likewise.
    Quote Originally Posted by Malifice View Post
    (paraphrased) Rulings are not 'House Rules.' Rulings are a DM doing what DMs are supposed to do.
    Quote Originally Posted by greenstone View Post
    Player agency doesn't mean they get to roll for everything. Agency means that they control their character's actions; you control the world's reactions to the character's actions.
    Gosh, 2D8HP, you are so very correct (and also quite handsome) or so I am told ... by 2D8HP

  14. - Top - End - #344
    Banned
     
    zimmerwald1915's Avatar

    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    Lake Wobegon
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: OOTS #1164 - The Discussion Thread

    Quote Originally Posted by KorvinStarmast View Post
    Buzz kill, even on root beer?
    Buzz is a good source of Vitamin XP.

  15. - Top - End - #345
    Barbarian in the Playground
     
    Lizardfolk

    Join Date
    Feb 2017

    Default Re: OOTS #1164 - The Discussion Thread

    Quote Originally Posted by jokem View Post
    That does not tell me what cider on...
    If Durkon could murder a pint, would that be Cidercide?

  16. - Top - End - #346
    Dragon in the Playground Moderator
     
    Peelee's Avatar

    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Birmingham, AL
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: OOTS #1164 - The Discussion Thread

    Quote Originally Posted by KorvinStarmast View Post
    o/ raises hand ...
    I dunno, I saw a documentary on transporting beer from Texas to the Deep South. Seems like a risky bet.
    Last edited by Peelee; 2019-05-28 at 09:26 AM.
    The Mod on the Silver Mountain avatar by the wonderfully talented Cuthalion!

    If anyone has a crayon drawing they would like to put on the Kickstarter Reward Collection Thread, PM me.

  17. - Top - End - #347
    Ettin in the Playground
     
    ClericGirl

    Join Date
    May 2015
    Location
    Texas
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: OOTS #1164 - The Discussion Thread

    Quote Originally Posted by Peelee View Post
    I dunno, I saw a documentary on transporting beer from Texas to the Deep South. Seems like a risky bet.
    I seem to recall that a Frog, and the letters F and O were involved with that. (and it predates the restraint of trade ruling (Commerce Clause?) versus a beer company that made the premise of the movie obsolete).
    Quote Originally Posted by Malifice View Post
    (paraphrased) Rulings are not 'House Rules.' Rulings are a DM doing what DMs are supposed to do.
    Quote Originally Posted by greenstone View Post
    Player agency doesn't mean they get to roll for everything. Agency means that they control their character's actions; you control the world's reactions to the character's actions.
    Gosh, 2D8HP, you are so very correct (and also quite handsome) or so I am told ... by 2D8HP

  18. - Top - End - #348
    Ettin in the Playground
     
    Fyraltari's Avatar

    Join Date
    Aug 2017
    Location
    France
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: OOTS #1164 - The Discussion Thread

    Quote Originally Posted by Peelee View Post
    I dunno, I saw a documentary on transporting beer from Texas to the Deep South. Seems like a risky bet.
    Isn’t Texas as deep as the American South goes? I mean deeper south you’re in the United Mexican States.
    "Any technology distinguishable from magic is insufficiently advanced."
    Gehm's corollary to Clarke's Third Law



    Forum Wisdom

  19. - Top - End - #349
    Dragon in the Playground Moderator
     
    Peelee's Avatar

    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Birmingham, AL
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: OOTS #1164 - The Discussion Thread

    Quote Originally Posted by KorvinStarmast View Post
    I seem to recall that a Frog, and the letters F and O were involved with that. (and it predates the restraint of trade ruling (Commerce Clause?) versus a beer company that made the premise of the movie obsolete).
    Well clearly what we're dealing with here is a complete lack of respect for the law.
    Quote Originally Posted by Fyraltari View Post
    Isn’t Texas as deep as the American South goes? I mean deeper south you’re in the United Mexican States.
    Deep South isn't farther south, it's a a more-or-less cultural region. Usually the Mississippi, Alabama, and Georgia area.
    The Mod on the Silver Mountain avatar by the wonderfully talented Cuthalion!

    If anyone has a crayon drawing they would like to put on the Kickstarter Reward Collection Thread, PM me.

  20. - Top - End - #350
    Ettin in the Playground
     
    Fyraltari's Avatar

    Join Date
    Aug 2017
    Location
    France
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: OOTS #1164 - The Discussion Thread

    Well, now you lot are just being deliberately misleading. >:(
    Last edited by Fyraltari; 2019-05-28 at 10:34 AM.

  21. - Top - End - #351
    Troll in the Playground
     
    Gnoman's Avatar

    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    Toledo, Ohio
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: OOTS #1164 - The Discussion Thread

    Quote Originally Posted by Ruck View Post
    I don't really understand the whole push for IPAs in the craft beer movement. I like my beer crisp and clean, not fit for a transcontinental voyage.
    IPAs are fairly simple to make -and to make consistently- for one thing. For another, the craft beer movement mostly got started due to dissatisfaction with the typical American lager (Budweiser, Miller, etc.), which is not a particularly hoppy style. This was often compared unfavorably to European beers, many of which were considerably hoppier and bitterer. So the people looking for something different went to the far side of the hop spectrum. Fortunately, this trend is diminishing. While all (or most) breweries issue at least one IPA, all have a lot of other styles as well.

  22. - Top - End - #352
    Pixie in the Playground
     
    PaladinGuy

    Join Date
    Feb 2019

    Default Re: OOTS #1164 - The Discussion Thread

    I can attest that 'Texan' is basically it's own culture group separate from the Deep South. Same nation, near same region, different culture. Of course, though, every state has some unique culture. Texas just has lots of unique culture.

  23. - Top - End - #353
    Firbolg in the Playground
     
    Jasdoif's Avatar

    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    Oregon, USA

    Default Re: OOTS #1164 - The Discussion Thread

    Quote Originally Posted by Peelee View Post
    Deep South isn't farther south, it's a a more-or-less cultural region. Usually the Mississippi, Alabama, and Georgia area.
    And Louisiana. Past that...like any other area defined without tangible borders, it can vary quite a bit depending on who you ask.

  24. - Top - End - #354
    Dragon in the Playground Moderator
     
    Peelee's Avatar

    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Birmingham, AL
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: OOTS #1164 - The Discussion Thread

    Quote Originally Posted by Jasdoif View Post
    And Louisiana. Past that...like any other area defined without tangible borders, it can vary quite a bit depending on who you ask.
    I'd say that Texas and Louisiana (and, to a lesser extent, Tennessee) have their own thing going on. Like Sir Galliant touched on, Texans see themselves as their own culture, and Louisiana is much more cajun country. Tennessee has the whole country music scene going on. You're from Oregon, what would you say the cultural differences are between MS, AL, and GA? Not much, I'd reckon.
    The Mod on the Silver Mountain avatar by the wonderfully talented Cuthalion!

    If anyone has a crayon drawing they would like to put on the Kickstarter Reward Collection Thread, PM me.

  25. - Top - End - #355
    Banned
     
    zimmerwald1915's Avatar

    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    Lake Wobegon
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: OOTS #1164 - The Discussion Thread

    Quote Originally Posted by Jasdoif View Post
    And Louisiana. Past that...like any other area defined without tangible borders, it can vary quite a bit depending on who you ask.
    Texas, Louisiana, California, and the Deep South did have well-defined borders at various points in history. Texas and California were independent republics, Louisiana was a French and then Spanish and then French colony, and the Deep South were those states which seceded before the North's call for volunteers.

  26. - Top - End - #356
    Dragon in the Playground Moderator
     
    Peelee's Avatar

    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Birmingham, AL
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: OOTS #1164 - The Discussion Thread

    Quote Originally Posted by zimmerwald1915 View Post
    Texas, Louisiana, California, and the Deep South did have well-defined borders at various points in history. Texas and California were independent republics, Louisiana was a French and then Spanish and then French colony, and the Deep South were those states which seceded before the North's call for volunteers.
    Well I'll be. Guess I just been gatekeeping all this time without even knowing it.
    The Mod on the Silver Mountain avatar by the wonderfully talented Cuthalion!

    If anyone has a crayon drawing they would like to put on the Kickstarter Reward Collection Thread, PM me.

  27. - Top - End - #357
    Firbolg in the Playground
     
    Jasdoif's Avatar

    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    Oregon, USA

    Default Re: OOTS #1164 - The Discussion Thread

    Quote Originally Posted by Peelee View Post
    I'd say that Texas and Louisiana (and, to a lesser extent, Tennessee) have their own thing going on. Like Sir Galliant touched on, Texans see themselves as their own culture, and Louisiana is much more cajun country. Tennessee has the whole country music scene going on. You're from Oregon, what would you say the cultural differences are between MS, AL, and GA? Not much, I'd reckon.
    I'd say that given the sharp cultural differences between Oregon west of the Cascades and Oregon east of the Cascades, and the less noticeable cultural differences between Oregon and Washington; that culture appears to propagate across rivers more readily than it does across mountains, while at the same time (and in general) that assuming there's no cultural differences just because I don't know offhand what those cultural differences are, would be incredibly short-sighted.

    (I was about to post making a slightly-amusing comment that "Deep South" was probably copyrighted before the expansion to the west of the Mississippi River and before enough people cared whether Florida was a state...then I looked it up and apparently Louisiana and South Carolina are commonly considered part of it? Louisiana felt like an odd omission before, so I called it out.)
    Last edited by Jasdoif; 2019-05-28 at 11:39 AM.

  28. - Top - End - #358
    Dragon in the Playground Moderator
     
    Peelee's Avatar

    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Birmingham, AL
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: OOTS #1164 - The Discussion Thread

    Quote Originally Posted by Jasdoif View Post
    I'd say that given the sharp cultural differences between Oregon west of the Cascades and Oregon east of the Cascades, and the less noticeable cultural differences between Oregon and Washington; that culture appears to propagate across rivers more readily than it does across mountains, while at the same time (and in general) that assuming there's no cultural differences just because I don't know offhand what those cultural differences are, would be incredibly short-sighted.

    (I was about to post making a slightly-amusing comment that "Deep South" was probably copyrighted before the expansion to the west of the Mississippi River and before enough people cared whether Florida was a state...then I looked it up and apparently Louisiana and South Carolina are commonly considered part of it? Louisiana felt like an odd omission before, so I called it out.)
    Short version, I always thought of "Deep South" as "anywhere you could film Deliverance without noticing any difference." Louisiana kinda works, but again, the cajun/creole culture is strong down there.

    I also wanted to throw in a line about Florida sitting in the corner eating paint chips, but I really do have to wonder what kind of crazy things happen in places that don't have the sunshine laws.
    Last edited by Peelee; 2019-05-28 at 11:48 AM.
    The Mod on the Silver Mountain avatar by the wonderfully talented Cuthalion!

    If anyone has a crayon drawing they would like to put on the Kickstarter Reward Collection Thread, PM me.

  29. - Top - End - #359
    Banned
     
    zimmerwald1915's Avatar

    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    Lake Wobegon
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: OOTS #1164 - The Discussion Thread

    Quote Originally Posted by Peelee View Post
    Short version, I always thought of "Deep South" as "anywhere you could film Deliverance without noticing any difference."
    Any definition of "Deep South" that can include any part of Missouri - yes, even that one - must be wrong.

    I also wanted to throw in a line about Florida sitting in the corner eating paint chips, but I really do have to wonder what kind of crazy things happen in places that don't have the sunshine laws.
    Amen.

    That said, there's Florida and Florida. Miami and points north along the Atlantic coast have been thoroughly colonized by Caribbeans and Yankees.

  30. - Top - End - #360
    Barbarian in the Playground
     
    HalflingRogueGuy

    Join Date
    May 2018

    Default Re: OOTS #1164 - The Discussion Thread

    Quote Originally Posted by Peelee View Post
    I dunno, I saw a documentary on transporting beer from Texas to the Deep South. Seems like a risky bet.
    Smokey and the Bandit?

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •