New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Pixie in the Playground

Default Dominate person on unconcious targets?

Can you use dominate person on a knocked out target? It would be pretty great to know if the mage is my mind slave before I wake him up

2. - Top - End - #2
    Ettin in the Playground

Default Re: Dominate person on unconcious targets?

Quote Originally Posted by TrueChaos13 View Post
    Can you use dominate person on a knocked out target? It would be pretty great to know if the mage is my mind slave before I wake him up
    You can. But they still get their normal save against it. The DM can rule that you know whether the telepathic bond is established, but it makes just as much sense to rule that you can't know that until the target is conscious again. A Detect Magic or similar effect may be helpful in determining whether your spell took hold.
    My D&D 5th ed. Druid Handbook

3. - Top - End - #3
    Pixie in the Playground

Hmm I find it intresting that they wouldnt atleast get disadvantage to the save now that I think about it but thats 5e for ya

4. - Top - End - #4
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by TrueChaos13 View Post
    Hmm I find it intresting that they wouldnt atleast get disadvantage to the save now that I think about it but thats 5e for ya
    Literally the entire purpose of the advantage/disadvantage system is for adjudicating good or poor circumstances in a way that doesn't require prescription, so, literally yes, that is 5e for ya.

5. - Top - End - #5
    Pixie in the Playground

Zombie

While unconscious according to the condition: "The creature automatically fails Strength and Dexterity saving throws."

So the PHB is explicit that only str and dex saves are automatically failed. Doesnt mention other saves at all so DM gets to decide if unconsiousness affects this spell save.

So you can rule it the save how you want, but they can definitely still cast it on them while asleep.

6. - Top - End - #6
    Barbarian in the Playground

OldWizardGuy

Quote Originally Posted by hymer View Post
    You can. But they still get their normal save against it. The DM can rule that you know whether the telepathic bond is established, but it makes just as much sense to rule that you can't know that until the target is conscious again. A Detect Magic or similar effect may be helpful in determining whether your spell took hold.
    Given that Dominate is a concentration spell, you would know if it was in effect. However Dominate Person only lasts a minute (unless upcasting to a pretty high level), so have fun dominating the unconscious guy.
    Last edited by darknite; 2019-05-22 at 01:01 PM.

7. - Top - End - #7

Quote Originally Posted by darknite View Post
    Given that Dominate is a concentration spell, you would know if it was in effect. However Dominate Person only lasts a minute (unless upcasting to a pretty high level), so have fun dominating the unconscious guy.
    Technically... you could maintain concentration on a Dominate that the creature had successfully saved against, it just wouldn't do anything, because "It must succeed on a Wisdom saving throw or be Charmed by you for the duration." Otherwise, nothing happens for the duration.

The only case I can think of where you'd want to do this is if you're a War Wizard and you want your +2 to AC and saves. Even then, you'd often drop concentration next round in order to cast a different concentration spell.

8. - Top - End - #8
    Pixie in the Playground

Cool, thanks yall I guess my question was really can sleeping people be charmed but it looks like theres nothing stopping me. Im even a step better off as the target isnt in combat with me so it dosnt get its advantage. This all makes me happy.