The Order of the Stick: Utterly Dwarfed
The Order of the Stick: Utterly Dwarfed - Coming in December and available for pre-order now
Page 5 of 23 FirstFirst 123456789101112131415 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #121
    Troll in the Playground

GnomeWizardGuy

Default Re: (IC) The Tentacle Terror

Take another round of actions.
    General purpose Avengers: Endgame and G.O.T 8.3 spoiler.

Spoiler:
    Show
    <The short Stark pulls a slick move to get the weapon to the other hand, then with one final stroke disintegrates the Big Bad and takes out his army. >

]

2. - Top - End - #122
    Barbarian in the Playground

BardGuy

"Fair enough." Kiyoko says, casting another cantrip to clean herself. Prestidigitation, what can't you do?

3. - Top - End - #123
    Ettin in the Playground

Spoiler: Tam meldshaper info (AC 23)
    Show
    8 melds, 8 essentia, 2 binds to crown/feet/hands/totem:
    Crystal helm, 2 essentia, +2 resistance to Will vs charm/compulsion, +2 deflection AC
    Urskan greaves, 0 essentia, icewalk ; BOUND TO FEET, no further benefit without essentia
    Sphinx claws, 2 essentia, +3 competence to Strength checks and Strength skill checks
    Girallon arms, 0 essentia, +2 competence to grapple and Climb checks ; BOUND TO TOTEM, four natural weapons at +0 enhancement atk/dmg
    Blink shirt, 0 essentia, dimdoor 10' as standard action
    Pauldrons of health, 0 essentia, immunity to sickened/naus/disease, Fortitude +0
    Dissolving spittle, 2 essentia, may make 30' ranged touch attacks for 3d6 acid
    Wormtail belt, 2 essentia, +4 enhancement natural armor

Spoiler: Ratling meldshaper info
    Show
    6 melds (one expanded capacity), 4 essentia, 1 bind to crown and 1 bind to totem:
    Shedu crown, 1 essentia, immune to bull rush, +1 save vs mind-affecting ; BOUND TO CROWN, telepathy 100'
    Kraken mantle, 0 essentia, +8 competence Swim, swim 40' as full-round or 20' as move ; BOUND TO TOTEM, waterbreathing
    Sighting gloves, 1 essentia, +2 insight ranged weapon damage
    Blink shirt, expanded capacity, 0 essentia, dimdoor 10' as standard action
    Kruthik claws, 0 essentia, +4 Hide and Move Silently
    Wormtail belt, 2 essentia, +4 enhancement to natural armor

Tam tells his rattish friend, "Don't let it fall on you," and then goes right where the floating tentacle-beast might fall on him. He nimbly scampers up the mast. His cheeks seem to swell for a moment, surrounded by a dim blue light, and he spits a large wad of something vile up at his foe. Miss Chief wisely backs off and reloads her crossbow.

Spoiler: mechanics, Tam 21/45 hp, ratgirl 24/32 hp
    Show
    Miss Chief: leave the fall zone and load up.
    Tam: use climb speed up the mast, then spit at beastie, (d20+4)[24] to hit touch AC, (3d6)[13] acid damage. If a crit threat, (d20+4)[15] to add (3d6)[11].
    Last edited by Dimers; 2019-06-06 at 07:46 PM.
    Avatar by Meltheim: Eveve, dwarven battlemind, 4e Dark Sun

4. - Top - End - #124
    Troll in the Playground

GnomeWizardGuy

Crit on the dazed creature!

Spit. Sisssszzzzzzel hiiissssssssfoooomkracaBOOOOOOOM!!!!

(10d6)[35]

Reflex save as the giant octopus filled with hydrogen detonates.

Spoiler:
    Show
    <The short Stark pulls a slick move to get the weapon to the other hand, then with one final stroke disintegrates the Big Bad and takes out his army. >

]

5. - Top - End - #125
    Troll in the Playground

GnomeWizardGuy

Oh, that save is for everyone, though the damage type will be adjusted by distance.

Spoiler:
    Show

]

6. - Top - End - #126
    Ettin in the Playground

Reflex saves: Tam (d20+5)[13], ratling (d20+5)[6]

7. - Top - End - #127
    Troll in the Playground

GnomeWizardGuy

Nat 1. Fortunately, she isn't "where it would fall on her" , and is therefore in the non-lethal zone. she does get knocked into next week, where she finds herself in a hospital bed with all of her exposed fur singed off.

I'll assume everybody fails the save and edit the days of hospital days as needed.

The blast crackes both masts, incinerates the sails, and sends splinters, pullies, flaming remnants of cloth, and scorched calamari across everything and everyone on deck, preceded by a fur (singing singe singeing I'll check the spelling in a bit) "burning off" wave of heat, and followed by a layer of mostly carbonized squid ink. Rat, Natzu, and Raven are knocked down (and probably all out), and are then rained on by more flash fried octopus.

As for those who were "where it would fall on you"...

Tam, Snek, and his rider, Osrik, are engulfed by the fire ball and blasted down, bouncing off the masts and each other, landing on Zander as they crash into the deck. Fortunately, the removable lattice grate covering the hold isn't as stout as the rest of the deck. It, and several bones, breaks on impact, absorbing some of the force.

Directly under the grating are crates of cargo that the crew figured wouldn't be hurt if a little water fell through the grating.
    This cargo consists of crates cockery, mostly cheap dinner plates and "China" tea service sets, the white ones with blue patterns featuring roosters and windmills. The crates, and a few organs, burst under the force. The cockery, and several vertabrea, shatters into lacerating fragments, distributing the force. Then, of course, a ton of hot octopus flumps over the plie of shattered dinnerware and adventurers.

Several hours later, the crew are shocked to find them broken, burn, but barely breathing. For in one if the Universe's fits of G[/U]reatly Magnificant Benevolent Synergies, the healing belt work by Tam was deteonated by the blast, and cooked off it's remaining charged, which enteracted with the mist of octopus fragments, which acted as an additional spell component. Octopus, you see, has regenerative qualities much like lizard tail, which can enhance healing spells....

Everybody, due to the discharge of the belt, is stable at no less than -9, and will awaken in the Military Naval Hospital sometime next week.

The remaining crew press every remaining pole and scrap of fabric into service as makeshift sales, and manage to get close enough to port to tow the ship in with row boats.

Entering the port, they discover that this battered ship is the lucky one. Every other ship is capsized, sunk, or burned to the water line. And every docking station but one has been burned or smashed.

The party at the dock are taken into custody and confined under guard at the hospital. After all, three were seen hugging the attacking octophis.... After their identifies are confirmed
    And a statement taken from the fishing merchant, the guards are stood down.

The party in the ship are taken to the same facility. After it is discovered that both groups were meant to join on the same mission, all are moved to the same ward.

The coastline becomes militarized.

....(more after dinner)

Spoiler:
    Show

]

8. - Top - End - #128
    Troll in the Playground

AssassinGuy

During the week in the hospital after his group has been detained and released from custody, Deku helped to heal the patients by channeling and casting healing spells on them. For critical injuries, he spent time treating the burns carefully. When he had free time, the tengu tried to identify the green crystals they found on the octoroks.

Knowledge (Arcana): (1d20+4)[15]
    Last edited by Yas392; 2019-06-07 at 08:10 AM.
    "Everything in creation is flawed. Humans don't need to be mentioned. Air, intent, and even time. My eyes can see the death of things. They're special, like yours. So I can kill anything that lives. Even if that thing is God."

9. - Top - End - #129
    Troll in the Playground

GnomeWizardGuy

It is a green crystal that seems to be of no particular significance. (Ever play A Link to the Past?) Might be worth a gold piece to some one who doesnt know gems.

The authorities fear another assault and mass troops, but the only incident is an attack on the Seaworth orphanage at a small coastal town thought to be not worth attacking. They found 5 orthans arranged in a pentagram around a horse. Their eyes were removed....

There was debat as to what to do, but it was decided to stick to the original plan. The armies are now needed to defend the coast, and the Animal Adventurers, as they now dub you were the most effective force during the raid, though some comparison to roosters and Unsullied was mentioned.

Deku is given a voucher for 5000 gp in consumables (charged items, potions, scrolls, wands, alchemicals, ammonition...)

A second voucher for the same amount is given to whomever wakes up frist from the ship group.

A strange book was found in the wreckage on the deck of the Maru. The exterior and page edges were scorched, but the interior is mostly unharmed. Many of the pages need to be cleaned of octopus in that seeped between the pages. This would probably take weeks.

A military ship, the Reliant is pressed into service and you launch as soon as the healers have everyone on their feet. Their new fur hasn't grown in yet, but the 2 month voyage will provide time for that.

Spoiler:
    Show

]

10. - Top - End - #130
    Troll in the Playground

GnomeWizardGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Yas392 View Post
    During the week in the hospital after his group has been detained and released from custody, Deku helped to heal the patients by channeling and casting healing spells on them. For critical injuries, he spent time treating the burns carefully. When he had free time, the tengu tried to identify the green crystals they found on the octoroks.

Knowledge (Arcana): [roll0]

You have time to examine the rest of the docks.

Spoiler:
    Show

]

11. - Top - End - #131
    Troll in the Playground

AssassinGuy

Deku surveys the dock.

Perception: (1d20+11)[21]
    "Everything in creation is flawed. Humans don't need to be mentioned. Air, intent, and even time. My eyes can see the death of things. They're special, like yours. So I can kill anything that lives. Even if that thing is God."

12. - Top - End - #132
    Troll in the Playground

GnomeWizardGuy

He finds 3 more green crystals, a red one, and what looks like an hand held cogwork device.

Spoiler:
    Show

]

13. - Top - End - #133
    Troll in the Playground

AssassinGuy

Deku tries to identify the red crystal to see if it is more useful/valuable than the green ones and that it can be used as a power source.

Knowledge (Arcana): (1d20+4)[17]

14. - Top - End - #134
    Troll in the Playground

GnomeWizardGuy

Not that he can tell. No auras.. seems exactly the same as the green ones, other than being red.

Spoiler:
    Show

]

15. - Top - End - #135
    Troll in the Playground

AssassinGuy

OOC: Not sure if he used detect magic. I assumed that you assumed Deku did. If he did, he will try to detect four alignment (chaos, good, law, evil) next.
    Last edited by Yas392; 2019-06-07 at 09:44 AM.

16. - Top - End - #136
    Troll in the Playground

GnomeWizardGuy

Some time during the week before the voyage, or during the voyage...no auras on the crystals.

Spoiler:
    Show

]

17. - Top - End - #137

BardGuy

"Still trying to figure out those crystals? I can give a second opinion if you want."

Spoiler: Ooc / If he accepts / Rolls
    Show
    During the downtime, I heal my SAN damage and help with the ability damage.

If Deku accepts my help with the crystals:
    Green: Appraise (1d20+3)[21]
    Red: Appraise (1d20+3)[22]

Know Arcane: (1d20+11)[14]
    red: (1d20+11)[22]

Know Nature: (1d20+11)[21]
    red: (1d20+11)[13]

Know Religion: (1d20+13)[17]
    red: (1d20+13)[15]

And, if none of those work:
    Know Mythos: (1d20+7)[12]
    red: (1d20+7)[26]
    I got it, I'm using it

18. - Top - End - #138
    Troll in the Playground

AssassinGuy

"By all means."

Deku shifts a little to give Kiyoko space to analyze the crystals.

"Note that they are not magical."
    Last edited by Yas392; 2019-06-07 at 06:26 PM.

19. - Top - End - #139
    Ettin in the Playground

Tam comes to his senses long enough to accept kudos for the brave anti-tentacle defense, ask after his companions' health, and notice that his everything hurts. "I have been in worse fights. I'm sure I have, it's just that the explosion harmed my memory, that's why I don't remember any such battles."

After hearing the fate of the other manimal weirdos, Tam returns to sleep for another day or two. But soon enough he's up and hobbling about on crutches. He shops for military supplies, flirts outrageously with two barmaids and one cow, challenges strangers to burping contests in the town square and generally makes an amusing pest of himself. Tam and his protege are both quite fit, so their recovery is quick. Somewhat to the dismay of the townsfolk.

(( Jakarta, is there a limit on what kind of things we can get with those vouchers? ))

20. - Top - End - #140
    Troll in the Playground

GnomeWizardGuy

(yes, you can get another belt.)
    The quartermaster tells you that it is for charged, consumable, and otherwise expendable items.

Spoiler:
    Show

]

21. - Top - End - #141
    Troll in the Playground

Mōmoku sighed after she was released with Anaguma, "I don't know why the ended up arresting us as well.. but seems we might need to work on our game of avoiding multiple other attacks.." "I'm sorry, it was my fault I wasn't able to stop the other heads" "No ones fault on that.. I'm not even sure how we ended up living after that."
    Animated Spellcards from the Deck of Many Things
    A game I found interesting Aegis: Innocence

22. - Top - End - #142
    Troll in the Playground

GnomeWizardGuy

Is anyone examining the book that was found on the ship?

Kikoyu:
    Spoiler: checks and such
    Show

The crystals are valuable only as a novelty.

They are hamless, ,and harmless) but you might choke on them if you try to swallow them, and might contribute to an obstructed it impacted bowel.

They might be ground up as a component for a spell requiring powdered glass or crystal.

They are not religious items in and of themselves, but might be used in rituals involving crystals.

Charlatan or deluded crystal healing practitioners might employe such crystals in their frauds and useless procedures.

The green crystals have no mythos significance, but the red one can be used to produce the red light needed to summon
    Spoiler: the Elder Beast called...
    Show

Naw....it doesn't work that way.

Sanity heals by die rolls after

(Got to parent for a bit...)

Spoiler:
    Show

]

23. - Top - End - #143
    Troll in the Playground

GnomeWizardGuy

After his first day out of bed, the military assign a gu...err... escort and "drinking buddy" to Tam, as does the Association to Guard the Virtues of Milkmaids, who usually don't worry with the Virtues of cows....

Momoku's and Anaguma find a nice garden to meditate in.

The rest...rest...recovering in the hospital or preparing for the mission.

Kikoyu:
    Spoiler: continuing
    Show

Sanity heals by die roll after accomplishing something signicant against the dark forces, or while under physiatrist care, or after an extended separation from the mythos. You might,say, be awarded 2d6 sanity for stopping the cult's ritual, or after a couple months of avoiding any mythos interactions.

As for skill checks, right now you have only been slightly exposed. You have learned of the existence of a cult, and enough about it to be disturbed. However, before you can do anything "useful" with the skill, you would need to "hit the books", which might lead to learning some thing and additional sanity loss.

Speaking of which, they did find a book on the ship...

And...

The day you depart on the Reliant, a brown paper wrapped package arrived for you.

You unwrap it to discover a Codex. On the back cover is your name. It seems you are a good source of vitamin A, but you don't know if you should be embarrassed by your fat content.

The personalization inculdes "Sacrificed in your name by "Mr. Tentacles" " and a list.

Julie Rivers age 6
    Brandon Flowers age 9
    Rob Stonehammer age 23
    Maria Exposito age 11
    Carlos Inglesia age 4

Charlie the Lame Horse 1265 lbs.

There is a book mark, actually a donation request flyer for the Seaworth Children's Home network, marking a page in the Hymns Appendix.

Ik thu lu eats the little chillll dren
    All of the children of the world...

What do you do with your Codex?

Spoiler:
    Show

]

24. - Top - End - #144

BardGuy

Kiyoko checks with the 'ship party', and asks about the book. "We still have a bit of time til we can leave, and I'm getting a bit bored, too much meditation. Anyone know who's book that is that came off the ship with you?"

Spoiler: When I get the package
    Show
    When I first receive it, I'll stick it in my bag of holding til I can look at it later. Randomly getting a package? Seems suspicious.
    When I discover what it actually is, I'm definitely keeping it in the bag of holding when people are around. It doesn't seem like the kind of thing I should be should be seen with.

25. - Top - End - #145
    Troll in the Playground

GnomeWizardGuy

The Reliant is much larger than the Maru. You are offered individual cabins, though you can pair off if you wish.

Spoiler:
    Show

]

26. - Top - End - #146
    Troll in the Playground

DwarfClericGuy

Zander wakes up and, as soon as their new quarters are made know to them, makes their way to there to study. Osrik mostly helps with the healing, though they grumble about Zander's habit of shutting themselves in.

Spoiler: reflex saves
    Show
    Zander: (1d20+3)[15]
    Osrik: (1d20+11)[22]

27. - Top - End - #147
    Troll in the Playground

GnomeWizardGuy

Osrik made the save for half of the blast damage. We didn't calculate the falling damage though, so he still had a good bit to recover from, as did Snek.

Will you be buying anything?

Spoiler:
    Show

]

28. - Top - End - #148
    Troll in the Playground

GnomeWizardGuy

Tam: Shopping for the group, what are you buying? Healing belts all around?

Deku: What is going into your basket?

Kiyoko:
    Spoiler: a little light reading?
    Show

The Codex is oddly organized.

First, it is in Sumarian, with margin and foot notes in Infernal.

Second, it uses a mix of styles, and they change without warning. Some pages don't have spacesbetweenwordsands
    ometimesthewordsbreakatthelineedgespunctuationseem sopt
    ionalndsmprts'mtvwlss'tcnbehrdt'tellwhtwrdsrwhch.

and sometimes the direction of the text changes at the end of each line.

on some page pages the words wrap around the edges of the page and corkscrew inward like a snail shell...and when you read starting at the center the message is different...

other pages are laid out like a grid, and it seems the words can be read in any direction...

Anyone else? any notes? Wish lists for the potion and ammo shop?

Spoiler:
    Show

]

29. - Top - End - #149
    Troll in the Playground

The badger and cat continued their walk, back towards where they were suppose to meet up with other people of the party.
    Animated Spellcards from the Deck of Many Things
    A game I found interesting Aegis: Innocence

30. - Top - End - #150
    Troll in the Playground

GnomeWizardGuy

(you may still describe actions before the ship leaves and finish shopping)

Interlude
    “The Heist”

-“Flail” the Flind

Ears, Feathers, and Hooves thought this caper up.

Ears and Feathers both used to work together as assistants to an illusionist. The kind of illusionist who doesn’t know any real magic and only makes it appear like he is sawing women in half and escaping form locked crates before getting smashed. A locked crate just like this one.

Feathers and Hooves used to work together in the shipping and postal industries. They know how all this stuff with the shipping labels work. We don’t even have to carry anything away. Just swap the labels and the stuff will be delivered to our fence.

So that’s what we’re doing, me and “Axe”. We’re sitting in this dark box. We got delivered to this warehouse. Been sitting in here a few days. Just a bit longer, the magic alarm clock will go off to tell us that it’s after midnight, then we pull the peg that keeps the trick box closed.

This trick box folds open and flat in an instant when you pull the peg. And it comes apart easy, so we just scatter the parts around the warehouse and anyone who sees them just thinks they’re extra crate lids. Just got to remember to take the shipping label off the crate we’re in. That is on the list. Follow the list and we’re good!

Then we just find the crates with the goods, and the crates with the dummy shipments, swap the shipping labels, leave via the window, and we are golden. Even if we set off an alarm, we’ll be long gone by the time anyone responds, and they won’t find anything missing, so they won’t even know to look for us.

They’ll deliver the goods to us, and they’ll be fenced before the dummy goods get across the sea. This is a perfect crime. Lucky for us that Ears and the others needed “experience, expert operators” like us to pull it off for them. Cut us in for an easy 20%.

Oh, there it is. The glow and the cricket chirps of the alarm.

It is go time.

“Ready Axe? Yeah? Good! Let’s do this!”

Pull the peg.

Box opens perfect!

Uh oh….

First, it is day light. Not night time. Did ears forget time zones, or daylight savings, or get AM and PM mixed up?

Second, it is day light, as in sun light. This isn’t a warehouse. Oh, it used to be. Looks like it burned to the foundation and has been swept up already. The dummy shipment is stacked up right next to us there. But it is the only stack of crates here. Outside. Under a clear blue sky. In the daytime sunlight. Where all of them can see us.

Third. Them. The completely surrounding them. The constables, town guards, Port Authority Police, Wells Fargo Security, chubby NCIS agent, Coast Guard, and a few hundred of every other branch of the military services..….in our immediate proximity and packed along every possible avenue of escape.

We

Are

So

Screwed!

Most are watching that ship over there, but some are looking right at us.

Wait. That isn’t the smug smile of a copper how knows he’s got you cornered and red handed.

That is the smile of surprised but genuinely happy to see you. Joy even. They all develop that smile when they notice us. And now a lot of them have noticed us. And are joy smiling… it is almost creepy!

Those aren’t hands reaching to catch, subdue, beat, handcuff, and incarcerate. Those are reaching to shake hands, backslap, applaud, and usher ‘right this way, friend!’

So, we’re walking down the street here ushered by a friendly mob of cops and troops, and civilians are handing us flowers and packages of food and are all happy to see us… this isn’t the usual reception for Hyena-kin!

Looking back, Axe is carrying an enormous fruit basket and various other goodies with both hands…and a marine is carrying his axe for him… shrug what ever.

Oh, they are taking us to the ship. Past a bunch of mages. Ok, so casting prestidigitation without permission is rude, but hey, we were in that box for a while and were a bit ripe and now we don’t stink any more, so ok.

Oh, dignitaries! Did I just shake hands with the Mayor? Was that a Prince?

Oh, um, thanks for the back pack.

At the gangplank now. Where a red headed human girl and a short for a halfling bald guy are arguing with a soldier of some type about wanting to get on the ship.

Oh, up the gang plank we go, the gang plank lined with armed troops, with the whole port’s worth of troops and cops behind us so we have no where else to go.

Welcome aboard. Oh thank you. Glad to be here! …. Where is here I wonder…

Oh, there is a fox lady, and a cat lady, and a badger lady, and a little badger dude and a …blue…red… panda guy…and a crow guy…and some scaly dudes and others…. Ah! They think we’re with them! Is this a circus ship doing a military tour? A military ship transporting a sideshow? Some of these folks looks like they were in a fire and will need a while for new fur to grow in.

Oh, hey, that tiny halfling dude is getting really feisty with the gangplank guard. And that redhead has a ridiculously oversized hammer.

“We don’t need you Shrimp! Be gone with ya, before I punt ya!”

“Shrimp! Punt! I am going aboard this ship!

The halfling’s nose and ears enlarge and unfold as his skin greys and fangs grow.
    No, not fangs. Tusks. And the guard is now craning his neck to look up at the now 13 ft tall no longer halfling but bipedal elephant.

Everyone is dead silent. Seconds pass as elephant glowers down at guard.

The guard swallows. Snaps to attention saluting.

“Yes Sir, Mr. Jumbo, Sir.”

The guard snaps to the side and aside face, arm extended up the gangplank. All the other guards copy the gesture.

The crowd breathes and resumes cheering as the elephant strides up the gangplank. If he didn't like the Jumbo crack is isn't letting one. He comes to a stop at the top. The Officer looking guy stands there confused, facing the elephant.

The redhead sticks her head from behind the elephant. “Permission to come aboard?”

“Um, Granted. Welcome aboard.” Goes the officer. The elephant and the redhead board and come over to stand next to us.

A different officer with a clipboard looks at the elephant, at his clipboard, then runs to the side of the ship. He yells down at someone below. “YOU THERE! WE’LL BE HAVING THOSE NUTS! AND EVERYTHING ELSE THERE! LOAD IT UP QUICK.”

The mages pitch in with the cranes and with unbelievable speed they load a crate of walnuts, a crate of peanuts, 5 crates of ‘whatever’ vegetables, and a wagon load of cabbage still in the wagon.

“Sir, we don’t have room in the hold..”
    “Nail it to the Deck, Cover with oilcloth. We are leaving now.” Cuts off the apparent quarter master.

Click, click, click, clan’uk!
    “Anchor secure, Captain.”

“Very good. Set sails, cast off lines. Number One, You may signal the Mages when ready.” Goes the guy in the really big hat.

Now? Ready? Hey…Oh, the gangplank is already gone.

Who is the first officer waving his hat at?

Oh, about 20 mages. Blue and white robes. Water and air mages. All casting together now…

A surge of wind and water carries the ship right off the dock and across the harbor, gathering speed as it makes for open water….

Were are we going?

Thus, Flail the Flind, Axe the Gnoll, Tori the halfling were-elephant, and his human daughter Terka the Barbarian join the party.

Spoiler:
    Show

]