The Order of the Stick: Utterly Dwarfed
The Order of the Stick: Utterly Dwarfed - Coming in December and available for pre-order now
Page 7 of 23 FirstFirst 1234567891011121314151617 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #181
    Troll in the Playground

Default Re: (IC) The Tentacle Terror

Momoku and her squire move to the deck of the ship themselves. "I don't see what the big deal is here. Looks perfectly normal to me. The sound though.." Momoku says standing on the ship as she faces the direction the others are facing. The badger remains silent behind her for now.
    Animated Spellcards from the Deck of Many Things
    A game I found interesting Aegis: Innocence

2. - Top - End - #182
    Troll in the Playground

GnomeWizardGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Triskavanski View Post
    Momoku and her squire move to the deck of the ship themselves. "I don't see what the big deal is here. Looks perfectly normal to me. The sound though.." Momoku says standing on the ship as she faces the direction the others are facing. The badger remains silent behind her for now.
    Momoku's skin...it feels like little ants are moving at random across it.

Conflicting sensations. The heaviness of tropical summer, and the crackle of a silk robe on a dry winter day.
    General purpose Avengers: Endgame and G.O.T 8.3 spoiler.

Spoiler:
    Show
    <The short Stark pulls a slick move to get the weapon to the other hand, then with one final stroke disintegrates the Big Bad and takes out his army. >

]

3. - Top - End - #183
    Troll in the Playground

AssassinGuy

Deku turns to the first officer while squinting his eyes for a better view and keeping his ears peeled for any unusual sounds.

"Are you certain there is little sign of activities in the village?"

Perception: (1d20+11)[20]
    "Everything in creation is flawed. Humans don't need to be mentioned. Air, intent, and even time. My eyes can see the death of things. They're special, like yours. So I can kill anything that lives. Even if that thing is God."

4. - Top - End - #184
    Barbarian in the Playground

BardGuy

Kiyoko remains silent, watching the island, and not having anything to add at this time.

5. - Top - End - #185
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by jakarta View Post
    "The approaches to the island are all on the south side. The main harbor is roughly in the middle here. That would be the direct approach. Anyone watching from the port would see you coming."
    The ratling wonders aloud, "You don't think they already saw the Reliant?" Her mind is mostly focused on smells, though ...

Spoiler: Scent?
    Show
    In case there's some invisible monstrosity hanging overhead again, well, the sidekick has Scent ability. Also, does she smell anything unusual around the island? Like, say, ozone?
    Last edited by Dimers; 2019-06-15 at 03:01 AM.
    Avatar by Meltheim: Eveve, dwarven battlemind, 4e Dark Sun

6. - Top - End - #186
    Troll in the Playground

GnomeWizardGuy

Burnt bananas.

But burnt bananas aren't that odd for a tropical island.

I could give you a list of faint odors, but they all add up to "typical tropical island".

Is anyone trying other detection abilities?

You are a few miles out, but if someone on the ship can see the island, then someone on the island can see the ship.

Spoiler:
    Show
    <The short Stark pulls a slick move to get the weapon to the other hand, then with one final stroke disintegrates the Big Bad and takes out his army. >

]

7. - Top - End - #187
    Troll in the Playground

GnomeWizardGuy

Oh, and she doesn't smell "sky octopus" or any other overly fishy or octopussy smell from the air.

Spoiler:
    Show

]

8. - Top - End - #188
    Troll in the Playground

AssassinGuy

OOC: You missed my post somehow.
    "Everything in creation is flawed. Humans don't need to be mentioned. Air, intent, and even time. My eyes can see the death of things. They're special, like yours. So I can kill anything that lives. Even if that thing is God."

9. - Top - End - #189
    Troll in the Playground

GnomeWizardGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Yas392 View Post
    Deku turns to the first officer while squinting his eyes for a better view and keeping his ears peeled for any unusual sounds.

"Are you certain there is little sign of activities in the village?"

Perception: [roll0]
    First Officer Thomas calls up to the Crow's nest, "RO, WHAT DI YOUR ELF EYES SEE?"

The response, "LOOKS LIKE SOMEONE S FISHING OFF THE DOCKS".

Without a glass, a seasoned elven sailor's eyes, or elevation, Deku cannot confirm the observation., But has no reason to doubt it.

Spoiler:
    Show

]

10. - Top - End - #190
    Troll in the Playground

AssassinGuy

OOC: Even with low light vision?

11. - Top - End - #191
    Troll in the Playground

GnomeWizardGuy

*ding ding....* The ship's bell rings to signal 10 in the morning.

(The "elf eyes" was a lot joke. Nearly everything else is a Star Trek ref)

Spoiler:
    Show

]

12. - Top - End - #192
    Troll in the Playground

AssassinGuy

OOC: He has "elf eyes" though. Unless you are meaning that his roll in general failed.
    Last edited by Yas392; 2019-06-15 at 02:47 AM.

13. - Top - End - #193
    Troll in the Playground

GnomeWizardGuy

(Hopefully not in his pocket...)

Thomas asks Deku, "Do you want to take your dog along?"

Spoiler:
    Show

]

14. - Top - End - #194
    Troll in the Playground

AssassinGuy

OOC: We are going off tangent here. What I mean is "low light vision" literally instead of meme/reference. I am not sure whether the roll or the vision failed. Instead of making it complicated, can you give me a clear answer?
    Last edited by Yas392; 2019-06-15 at 05:10 AM.

15. - Top - End - #195
    Troll in the Playground

GnomeWizardGuy

(yes, I know he has low light vision. It doesn't matter because it is daytime and they are out doors and lowlight only means seeing twice as well as a human in dim light. There isn't anything to spot here, but some paranoia is healthy for pcs...

Since the only party members without low light vision are the Human Terka, and the Blind Monoku (who has limited blind sense) I'm usually not going to mention lighting conditions unless darkvision is a factor)

The cooks bring up bowls of stew (with walnuts and peanuts), and a snack of peanut butter on crackers with a side of roasted peanuts for your dinner later. The quarter master gives each of you 3 days of prepackaged rations and a day and a half worth of water.

"Where do you want to set ashore?"

(Sea Caves, Docks, or Light house. First 3 players who agree decides)

Spoiler:
    Show

]

16. - Top - End - #196
    Bugbear in the Playground

BarbarianGuy

As everyone preps to go to shore, Terk pulls Tori into the storage area. "Come on Father, I think I saw something in here that could be useful to you." "What are you on about Terk? Can't you see we are about to land?" Going into the chests, Terk eventually finds and pulls out a set of Mithral Plate Armor. "Here it is! This would be perfect for you Father, I remember the captain saying there was some armor that magically resizes to its wearer in the storage. You'd be able to wear this in both of your forms!" "Bah! My hide is already incredibly thick during battle, I don't need this weighing me down." Tori says stubbornly. Looking at Terk's hurt expression however, the small halfling man sighs. ".....Help me put it on" Suddenly happy that she got her way, Terk helps her father don the armor. He feels clumsy in the plate, unused to the feeling of such protection, but knows he will be able to make the best of it. The pair go back on deck to prepare to land with thr others.

Spoiler: OOC
    Show

What type of Plate is the armor, Half or Full? Need to know what stats to add on.
    Quote Originally Posted by Suzanne Collins
    Strange things did happen here, no stranger would it be if we met at midnight in the hanging tree

17. - Top - End - #197
    Troll in the Playground

Let's hit the docks first.

18. - Top - End - #198
    Troll in the Playground

GnomeWizardGuy

(Full, but note weight modification for the special material.)

The Halfling is downright shiny in his new armor.

Spoiler:
    Show

]

19. - Top - End - #199
    Troll in the Playground

GnomeWizardGuy

The cooks, as has become their habit, make sure the Hyena-kin get the marked bowls with the soup bones in them.

"Do ya want a ranged weapon?" asks the quartermaster.

Spoiler:
    Show

]

20. - Top - End - #200
    Troll in the Playground

AssassinGuy

OOC: Ah, should have mention daytime, lol. Maybe he cannot see too far then. That's another probable explanation.

"Perhaps not if we are exploring the docks. Only miles offshore. While you are waiting for our findings, keep him fed. He gets hungry often."

Deku restock his arrows then scanning the ship with his detection spells (magic, law, good, evil, chaos) before joining others in exploring the docks, repeating the same procedure he did on the ship (see detection spells) all the while taking the time to scan the new area with his natural senses.

Perception (Take 20) - 31

Spoiler: Just so I don't have to repeat myself
    Show

Do I need to pay to restock arrows? If yes, he will skip this.

Stuff that Deku always do; detection spells (detect magic, law, chaos, good & evil) upon reaching new area & lead his mount to the nearest place before combat (if it is with him)

Last edited by Yas392; 2019-06-15 at 06:47 PM.

21. - Top - End - #201
    Troll in the Playground

GnomeWizardGuy

The ship doesn't have a magic shop, and Old Maggie is being left intentionally undefined. She is a character of convenience to provide minor plot relevant items like 'scrolls of check in with the ship", and allow the gm to provide magical information, but not otherwise overshadow the party.

The armory will provide 'regular' old arrows to top off quivers, and can make silver arrow heads if you provided them with alchemical grade silver. These are free. If you need to say you bought a few silver arrows (or such) before you left port, you may.

...more later, got to babysit

Spoiler:
    Show

]

22. - Top - End - #202
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by jakarta View Post
    The cooks, as has become their habit, make sure the Hyena-kin get the marked bowls with the soup bones in them.

"Do ya want a ranged weapon?" asks the quartermaster.

"Bah! Coward's weapons!"

"What about the birds?"
    "Cowards, every one of them. Of course I used one." FF patted the trio of bolas on her harness of weapons and useful items.

Axe sighed and turned back to the quartermaster. "If you could make sure you have a few replacements on hand when we get back, it would save us all some screaming."

When the quartermaster asked him, he patted the tomahawks in his belt. "When mum insists on a theme, she becomes unmanageable unless she gets her way." Leaning foreward, he murmurs, "But if someone happens to be carrying a bow they cant use, I am a decent shot."
    Last edited by Rakaydos; 2019-06-15 at 07:50 AM.

23. - Top - End - #203
    Troll in the Playground

AssassinGuy

(OOC: He has the means to imbue his arrows with silver & cold iron so he's good)

24. - Top - End - #204
    Troll in the Playground

GnomeWizardGuy

For those with detection abilities:
    "Bad" Mojo could mean many things.
    "Not good aligned"
    "Not Lawfully aligned"
    "Not neutrally aligned"
    "rotted magic gone bad"
    "Broken magic working improperly"
    "undefinable; not following the usual rules; perhaps not of our system"

This seems to be maybe all of those.

It is as though motes of magic, chaos, and weird are floating in the air and water. Your 'vision' is clouded. Everything detects as magic, chaos, and pineapple flavored grapenuts.

Experimenting with familiar items, those that you know the normal auras of, you find that you can concentrate to get a true reading, but it takes more time and proximity than usual.

Something is definitely wrong on that island.

Spoiler:
    Show

]

25. - Top - End - #205
    Troll in the Playground

For the moment, Momoku and her badger companion remain silent on the deck of the ship. No sense in getting worked about things, especially since they couldn't yet be seen, even with people with functional eyes.

26. - Top - End - #206
    Troll in the Playground

GnomeWizardGuy

Does Monoku or her companion have an opinion on the proper landing zone?

Spoiler:
    Show

]

27. - Top - End - #207
    Troll in the Playground

"If we're going to go anywhere, might as well start off in the normal starting place for ships.. "

28. - Top - End - #208
    Troll in the Playground

AssassinGuy

"Chaotic magic. Island not what it seems. Bad feeling. This should be exciting."

Deku concentrates his detection magic to get a true reading.

29. - Top - End - #209
    Barbarian in the Playground

BardGuy

"I think we should go to the docks, get a better idea of whats going on at the village, if possible."

30. - Top - End - #210
    Troll in the Playground

GnomeWizardGuy

to the docks of the port village in the harbor of the bay...

The deck hands help the group to board the launch.

Osrik and Zander ride on Snek.

"Team dragon" start out in the boat, but might fly off later.

It takes a few minutes to coordinate your rowing efforts. A few different arrangements are needed before the strength and rate of the sides are balanced and you start going in more of a straight line than a series of semi circles.

The closer you get to the island, the more charged things feel. Motes of bright and dark drift in the air. There is an almost overbearing sense of anticipation.

Nothing attacks you. There are seagulls around, but they avoid you. You catch glimpses of people hiding in the trees, watching from behind beached boats, and disappearing into warehouse alleys.

At the end of the pier sits a young man. He looks like he spends most of his time sitting here. Sun bleached hair, sun darkened skin, cane pole in hand, torn shorts, and a shirt that is more hole than cloth. He doesn't call out or respond to your greetings. He just watches, seeming more interested in Snek than anything else.

Spoiler:
    Show

]