New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Bugbear in the Playground

Default Ways of destroying a magical weapon

We have Blackrazor loose in a game I DM. Its hunger for souls problem is a little annoying and I really wouldn't mind having a bad guy want it or having a good guy want to get it from the party and destroy it. Heck, I even have an NPC in mind who may want or want to destroy it depending on a Charisma check or two.

This campaign has a Bag of Devouring in it but that only kicks it out to some strange random dimension where someone else will get it so feeding it to the extra planar creature seems ripe for creating a sequel.

Will Shatterspike do the trick?

In general besides dropping the darn thing into a Volcano any accepted ways to destroy magical items?

2. - Top - End - #2
    Barbarian in the Playground

OldWizardGuy

Default Re: Ways of destroying a magical weapon

There's a trope that magic items are hard to destroy in D&D (ie they survive castings of Disintegrate vs their bearer when all other items are dusted, etc) and an explicit directive that powerful magic items such as artifacts are impossible to destroy without following a certain prescription.

As the DM it's pretty much up to you how you want to handle that.

3. - Top - End - #3
    Dwarf in the Playground

Chimera

magic items are as fragile as any other mundane item, unless it specifically states that it can only be destroyed in a particular way.
    What makes a man turn neutral? Is it lust for gold, power? Or were you just born with a heart full of neutrality?

4. - Top - End - #4
    Titan in the Playground

Imp

Quote Originally Posted by MarkVIIIMarc View Post
    We have Blackrazor loose in a game I DM. Its hunger for souls problem is a little annoying and I really wouldn't mind having a bad guy want it or having a good guy want to get it from the party and destroy it. Heck, I even have an NPC in mind who may want or want to destroy it depending on a Charisma check or two.

This campaign has a Bag of Devouring in it but that only kicks it out to some strange random dimension where someone else will get it so feeding it to the extra planar creature seems ripe for creating a sequel.

Will Shatterspike do the trick?

In general besides dropping the darn thing into a Volcano any accepted ways to destroy magical items?
    Blackrazor is an artifact, right? Doesn't the description includes how to destroy it?

If it is not an artifact, then it just has resistance to all damage, and the AC-HPs described in the rules to break an item in the DMG.

5. - Top - End - #5
    Ogre in the Playground

A barbarian NPC takes the item and seeks to destroy it to appease their god

Spoiler: For Thor!
    Show

6. - Top - End - #6
    Firbolg in the Playground

There are two different types of magic items, with their own rules on destruction.

Regular Magic Items are exactly the same as the non-magical version, except the magic version has resistance to all damage. That's it. So if you have a set of Winged Boots, they're twice as durable as normal boots. Antimagic Field can remove their resistances.

Artifacts are indestructible, except by one special method, unique to that artifact. These are usually akin to Lord of the Rings-style, put-that-thing-back-where-it-came-from-or-so-help-me kinda quests. Blackrazor would have its own weakness that your DM might have to plot out. Artifacts ignore Antimagic Fields.
    Last edited by Man_Over_Game; 2019-05-23 at 10:13 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by KOLE View Post
    MOG, design a darn RPG system. Seriously, the amount of ideas I’ve gleaned from your posts has been valuable. You’re a gem of the community here.

5th Edition Homebrewery
    Prestige Options, changing primary attributes to open a world of new multiclassing.
    Adrenaline Surge, fitting Short Rests into combat to fix bosses/Short Rest Classes.
    Pain, using Exhaustion to make tactical martial combatants.
    Fate Sorcery, lucky winner of the 5e D&D Subclass Contest VII!

7. - Top - End - #7
    Titan in the Playground

Imp

Quote Originally Posted by Man_Over_Game View Post
    There are two different types of magic items, with their own rules on destruction.

Regular Magic Items are exactly the same as the non-magical version, except the magic version has resistance to all damage. That's it. So if you have a set of Winged Boots, they're twice as durable as normal boots. Antimagic Field can remove their resistances.

Artifacts are indestructible, except by one special method, unique to that artifact. These are usually akin to Lord of the Rings-style, put-that-thing-back-where-it-came-from-or-so-help-me kinda quests. Blackrazor would have its own weakness that your DM might have to plot out. Artifacts ignore Antimagic Fields.
    Also there is the "indestructible" minor property for the regular magic items, which add the "indestructible unless X condition" thing to a given magic item.