The Order of the Stick: Utterly Dwarfed
The Order of the Stick: Utterly Dwarfed - Coming in December and available for pre-order now
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Firbolg in the Playground

Default Good anime to watch with wife?

First let me say I've seen a good few anime. Maybe 50 or so series/movies. Mostly stuff that's 10+ years old though.

My wife and I watched Fushigi Yuugi together, a decent bit of InuYasha, and (after like a 15 year break) now we're watching Bleach (don't judge >.>).

She's into movies like Lord of the Rings, Harry Potter, Indiana Jones, chick flicks. TV shows like Law & Order, The Good Place, Call the Midwife, etc. Diverse tastes.

With that said, I'm looking for a classic (not necessarily old, maybe iconic) anime to watch with my wife. Doesn't have to be the greatest of all time. Preferably on Netflix or Hulu. I was thinking like Cowboy Bebop, Death Note. Problem is, I haven't seen *that* much anime, especially not recent stuff, figured I'd draw upon the experience of my fellow Playgrounders.

Thanks!
    My one and only handbook: My Totemist Handbook
    My one and only homebrew: Book of Flux
    Spoiler
    Show
    A comment on tiers, by Prime32
    Quote Originally Posted by KillianHawkeye View Post
    As a DM, I deal with character death by cheering and giving a fist pump, or maybe a V-for-victory sign. I would also pat myself on the back, but I can't really reach around like that.
      /l、
    ゙(゚、 。 7
     l、゙ ~ヽ
     じしf_, )ノ

2. - Top - End - #2
    Barbarian in the Playground

Default Re: Good anime to watch with wife?

Hunter x Hunter and One Punch Man are worth a watch.

3. - Top - End - #3
    Pixie in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by danzibr View Post
    First let me say I've seen a good few anime. Maybe 50 or so series/movies. Mostly stuff that's 10+ years old though.

My wife and I watched Fushigi Yuugi together, a decent bit of InuYasha, and (after like a 15 year break) now we're watching Bleach (don't judge >.>).

She's into movies like Lord of the Rings, Harry Potter, Indiana Jones, chick flicks. TV shows like Law & Order, The Good Place, Call the Midwife, etc. Diverse tastes.

With that said, I'm looking for a classic (not necessarily old, maybe iconic) anime to watch with my wife. Doesn't have to be the greatest of all time. Preferably on Netflix or Hulu. I was thinking like Cowboy Bebop, Death Note. Problem is, I haven't seen *that* much anime, especially not recent stuff, figured I'd draw upon the experience of my fellow Playgrounders.

Thanks!
    The 2 animes you thinking on are pretty good choices. I donít quite know what animes either Netflix or Hulu have, so Iíll just throw my word for those 2.

Death Note I would say is pretty good if youíre into characters change over the plot and outmaneuvering between two geniuses in plots to catch the otherís key to success.

Like early on, master detective hides his name and goes to take on the case of getting Light (the protagonist) and bring him to justice. So, Light has to find out the detectiveís name, while keeping himself from getting caught, and itís quite interesting if your into that kind of story.

Cowboy Bebop is much less elaborate than Death Note in terms of constant tenseness of whatís the next move, but itís one of the biggest names among anime for good reason. Thereís a lot of good parts to throw on Bebop. Action scenes where the crew actually show theyíre bounty hunters for a reason, witty banter that has you smile. Itís all really good, but donít expect the atmosphere to be bright and colorful.

Funny and uplifting? Sure, but itíd rarely if ever get actually bright like a cartoony or peacefully pleasant background. Things arenít good in the world of Cowboy Bebop, but they make the best of it and thatís alright.

Overall, if youíre into something to watch casually for a while, Bebop is one of the best choices. Interested in the plotting and maneuvers of strategists against one another? Thatís the main focus of Death Note, so obviously itís what Iíd recommend if it interests you.

4. - Top - End - #4
    Ettin in the Playground

Hmmm..Full Metal Alchemist is always a good recommendation and it is currently still on Netflix. Any Miyazaki movie you can get a hold of, if you haven't seen them before that is, are generally good recommends as well with special mention to Howl's Moving Castle, Princess Monoke, and Spirited Away.

If you're enjoying Bleach I'd recommend Naruto as well, but I don't know how much of it is on Netflix, I just know some of it is. There doesn't seem to be an interest in more violent, darker shows so I can't recommend Hellsing no matter how much I enjoy that series.

Hmm...Fate/Zero if you want something intense and pretty standalone for the Fate franchise that's also one of its best offerings.

If you want something dark but not gory or sexual, try to find Hell Girl, it has a lot in common with police procedural, but don't expect to come out of it with warm, fuzzy feelings considering its basically a bunch of vaguely interconnected stories about very awful people and things happening. I don't know if its on Hulu or Netflix, but see about watching a series called Kaguya-Sama: Love is War or Konosuba. both very good for their genres and definitely on the more light-hearted side of things.
    Warriors & Wuxia: A community world-building project focused on low-magic wuxia/kung-fu action using ToB.

"These 'no-nonsense' solutions of yours just don't hold water in a complex world of jet-powered apes and time travel."

5. - Top - End - #5
    Troll in the Playground

BardGuy

Trigun is really good. I enjoyed watching it years ago and more recently (still years ago, but like 5 instead of 10-15) with my wife.

Nice mix of Western, action, a touch of romance, and a lot of comedy. And it waxes more serious and emotional as it goes on. I think if you liked InuYasha, you'd probably like it.

Not sure if it's on any streaming services, though.

---

For Netflix, I found Silver Spoon good, but not sure if it'd meet your tastes. Rather slice-of-life. There's also "The Disastrous Life of Saiki K" (or some title similar to that) about a high schooler with psychic powers. I liked season 1 but season 2 seemed to just have a different feel and I didn't get into it. It's also kinda slice-of-life (despite the supernatural aspects), so not really similar to the others you have mentioned.

Death Note was really good.

6. - Top - End - #6
    Ogre in the Playground

If you want Saiki K, but better and somewhat less slice-of-life, try Mob Psycho 100.

7. - Top - End - #7
    Dwarf in the Playground

It strongly depends on what you're looking for.

Do you want more long-running fighting shows, in the same general vein as Inuyasha and Bleach? Some names you'll almost certainly recognize: Dragon Ball Z, Naruto, One Piece. Slightly less well-known: the entire Gundam franchise, Rurouni Kenshin, Yu yu Hakusho, Hunter x Hunter, and the recent My Hero Academia.

More character-driven shows with less focus on fighting (from slightly less to almost no fighting)? (This division is entirely artificial; I put it approximately at "Is there a tournament arc, or would it fit in very easily without a thematic break?") This is generally the group that contains the most prized series for the anime community: Code Geass, Fullmetal Alchemist (either series), Death Note. This also includes the massively popular (and massively controversial) Attack on Titan.

If there's a sport, there's a sports anime for that sport. Free! Iwatobi Swim Club and Yuri!!! on Ice are some recent well-received series.

Of course, there's plenty of anime that don't quite fit into any of the above. One of the more popular ones is the fantasy/paranatural-based Monogatari series; another is the science fiction/comedy The Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya.

All of the above are "shounen" shows, aimed at teen boys. Fushigi Yuugi is considered a "shoujo" show, aimed at teen girls. Other shoujo shows include many "magical girl" shows, like Cardcaptor Sakura, Sailor Moon, Magical Girl Lyrical Nanoha and the (very) long-running Pretty Cure franchise.

There are also "seinen" and "josei" shows, aimed at more mature audiences (men and women, respectively). Some popular examples include space western Cowboy Bebop, the very well-acclaimed philosophy-heavy cyberpunk Ghost in the Shell, and science fiction thriller Steins;Gate. This also commonly includes mature takes on common shoujo and shounen genres; Puella Magi Madoka Magica (also known as Maho Shoujo Madoka Magica, PMMM, and MSMM) is a mature take on the magical girl genre (and a well-known emotional rollercoaster), while Neon Genesis Evangelion is a hugely popular mature take on the character-arc shounen series.

Some genres you may want to see intersect all of the above; romance anime can be in any of the above. Toradora is a shounen romance that (mainly) focuses on the male lead's point of view; Kare Kano (His and Her Circumstances) is a shoujo romance that (mainly) focuses on the female lead's point of view. Ouran High School Host Club focuses on the female point of view and parodies the genre (including the common harem subgenre).

Fushigi Yuugi can be considered part of the "isekai" genre of people going to other worlds. The recent most common subgenre of this is people entering an RPG world. This became mildly popular with .hack//sign and hugely popular with Sword Art Online, a show that is massively disliked in the anime community. One that's commonly praised is Log Horizon; a highly popular parody is Konosuba.

Technically outside of anime itself would be the abridged series, which take the visuals from an anime, but rework them and redub the voices to parody the original. The starting example is Yu-Gi-Oh The Abridged series; the most popular is Dragon Ball Z Abridged. Hellsing Ultimate Abridged is by the same people as DBZA. Another highly acclaimed abridged series is Sword Art Online Abridged. Each of these except YGOTAS have their own plotlines beyond the comedy, which is part of why they were received well.

I'm sure I've missed several big series, but I've tried to include the ones that are commonly thought of by people in the anime community. I haven't included movies, and there are several that are worth watching.
    Last edited by uncool; 2019-09-29 at 12:15 AM.

8. - Top - End - #8
    Ogre in the Playground

SwashbucklerGuy

I'll echo the recommendations for Mob Psycho and One Punch Man, also add Soul Eater and an anime that just ended: Kimetsu no Yaiba (aka: Demon Slayer). It's one the most beautifully animated show I've ever seen.

If she likes fantasy stuff, Record of Lodoss Wars is a classic. For a more Harry Potter show, try Little Witch Academia. And I always recommend Konosuba (aka: Kono Subarashii Sekai ni Shukufuku wo!), because it's freaking hilarious! Mahoutsukai no Yome (aka: the Ancient Magus' Bride) is a nice, more slow-paced romance/slice-of-life show that I really enjoyed.

Now... In general, I'm not a fan of Japanese comedy, but there are a few shows that got genuine laughter out of me: Kaguya-sama wa Kokurasetai: Tensai-tachi no Renai Zunousen (which can be summarized by the following question: if two tsunderes fell in love with one another, would they ever find out? . A pretty funny and sweet romcom. Another one, that is much, much more focused on comedy is Kore wa Zombie Desu ka?, which I haven't watched in a while, but I remember LOLing quite a few times. And then there's Zombieland Saga, which is about cute zombie girls trying to become idols (it's better than it sounds). Last, but definitely not least is Konosuba... Which I already mentioned, but I honestly think it's one of the funniest shows I've ever seen! And I meant it in general, not only in anime!
    Last edited by Lemmy; 2019-09-29 at 12:21 AM.
    Homebrew Stuff:

9. - Top - End - #9
    Troll in the Playground

GnomeWizardGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Lemmy View Post
    I'll echo the recommendations for Mob Psycho and One Punch Man, also add Soul Eater and an anime that just ended: Kimetsu no Yaiba (aka: Demon Slayer). It's one the most beautifully animated show I've ever seen.
    Kimetsu no Yaiba hasn't ended. They finished a mini-arc and I think maybe took a week off, but the show is still going - there's a new episode in my watchlist from the last day or so, and they're starting up on the next storyline. Edit: My bad, I watched the episode I had left and turns out it's the last episode of season 1, so they're on hiatus for a while until season 2 can be filmed. I didn't expect them to announce the new villain at the end of the season like that. So it's "ended" in that there's a wrap on season 1, but the show itself has a long way to go.

As to classic stuff, I recommend Slayers Next. Comedy fantasy adventure with serious plots. The show moves back and forth between goofy comedy like the gang trying to catch a lake dragon by using the party fighter as bait to serious plots about demons trying to take over a city. It was the first anime I was introduced to other than DBZ (and other such shows that made up Toonami's afternoon block back in the day), and it remains one of my all time favorites. It is technically the second season of the greater Slayers franchise, but the seasons are so self-contained that you don't need to know anything from the first season to get what's going on. The show itself goes back over anything you might have missed.

As far as watching it, I know it used to be up on Hulu and/or Funimation, depending on how the rights squabbling was going at the time. Since I moved, I no longer have visibility into what's available in the U.S.
    Last edited by Rodin; 2019-09-29 at 06:54 AM.

10. - Top - End - #10
    Titan in the Playground

One Punch Man lost me when it got gross and mean with the lobster dude and then the naked giant dude squashing his own brother gorily by accident in the first episode. Not cool.

Trigun was pretty good, but on the second watch-through with my wife, we got tired of how many horny/sex type jokes there were. It would be much improved without them.

NGE was a waste of my time and not something I'd inflict on my wife.

11. - Top - End - #11
    Troll in the Playground

Thanks!
    Cowboy Bebop is an iconic anime on the level you are looking for. The bounty hunters in their clunky space ship find a mix of adventures, blues, and rich personal stories as they barely scrap by in a sci-fi future that manages to fully invoke the feel of the old West.

Record of the Lodoss Wars is the classic epic fantasy, but might be too much swords and sorcery (its based on novelfication of someone's D&D campaign), for someone who thinks of fantasy as Tolkien, rather than the likes of Jack Vance, Robert Jordan, and so on.

If the two of you are into swords and sorcery, the original Slayers (start with the first if you go there) is a light anime adventure comedy that switches between a parody of the fantasy adventure tropes and straightforward fantasy action.

The problem with Bleach is it starts out good in the beginning when these powers and the nature of the world are mysterious, but then it eventually devolves into a prolonged series of multi-episode fights with repetitive themes. Ditto for Naruto, although it's less about the mysteries and more about how it makes you feel for that spastic pariah kid ninja in orange. I wouldn't stick with these shows if they start to bore you...there is many, many hours of the same.

On that note, avoid Dragon Ball Z, it goes straight to the fighting and you get no background on the fighters as it is a continuation of another anime.

The original Dragon Ball (with five year old Goku) is anime comedy/martial arts but will put off some people since it starts strong with easily objectionable themes that you won't see in America (and certainly not in a children's show).

Ranma 1/2 is the perfect introduction to an old iconic comedy involving romantic and sexual themes...except it starts slow and awkward. It doesn't hit its stride until something like 12 episodes in when they start to reveal that every innocent activity in this town is also an "anything goes" martial art and the jokes start to land perfectly. You might appreciate the fact that it uses many of the same voice actors as Inuyasha.
    Quote Originally Posted by Morty View Post
    It would have been awesome if the writers had put as much thought into it as you guys do.
    The laws of physics are not crying in a corner, they are bawling in the forums.

Thanks to half-halfling for the avatar

12. - Top - End - #12
    Ogre in the Playground

SwashbucklerGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Rodin View Post
    Kimetsu no Yaiba hasn't ended. They finished a mini-arc and I think maybe took a week off, but the show is still going - there's a new episode in my watchlist from the last day or so, and they're starting up on the next storyline. Edit: My bad, I watched the episode I had left and turns out it's the last episode of season 1, so they're on hiatus for a while until season 2 can be filmed. I didn't expect them to announce the new villain at the end of the season like that. So it's "ended" in that there's a wrap on season 1, but the show itself has a long way to go.
    Oh, yes. It was only the 1st season that ended... Now it'll be continued in a movie and then, hopefully, another season.

I mentioned it because it's a pretty good story already, and the animation is freaking amazing!
    Homebrew Stuff:

13. - Top - End - #13
    Dwarf in the Playground

Given some of your wife's taste consider such series as Record of Lodoss War or Slayers. Other old school items to consider, if she likes movies, Green Legend Ran, Galaxy Express 999, A Wind Called Amnesia, Eyes of Mars, and Vampire Hunter D. All have a mixed variety of genres. If see is wanting more female leads the Gall Force series of movies were good. But most of these are old school anime from the mid 80's to early 90's.

14. - Top - End - #14
    Ogre in the Playground

If you haven't watched Jojo's Bizarre Adventure, that's one you definitely need to see. I'd explain it to you, but it defies explanation. Anything I could say would just make you confused. Regardless, it's definitely worth watching.

My favorite arc is when the 6'5" teenager with magic breathing powers teams up with a cyborg Nazi to fight Aztec bodybuilders.
    Princess Celestia's Homebrew Corner
    Old classes, new classes, and more!

Thanks to AsteriskAmp for the avatar!

15. - Top - End - #15
    Titan in the Playground

Netflix does have some anime, but the selection isn't what I'd call comprehensive. (It tends to get cycled in and out kind of quickly). I believe they have Fullmetal Alchemist up at the moment. (They've also had Naruto, Bleach, Inuyasha, and Jojo's Bizarre Adventure, but those have already been mentioned as well).

Would something like Violet Evergarden be up her alley? Seven Deadly Sins? Maybe Your Lie in April? (That one's more of a "slice of life" than most of the adventure animes, but it's very good). The new Voltron series is (obviously) heavily anime-influenced, but I don't know that I'd exactly call it anime. More of a blended style.
    Last edited by Telonius; 2019-10-01 at 12:47 PM.

16. - Top - End - #16
    Troll in the Playground

BardGuy

I'd second Violet Evergarden. In fact, I might recommend that to my wife as she'll probably have a good bit of time at home with no kids in the near future.

I really enjoyed season 1 of Seven Deadly Sins, but it ranks rather high on the "protagonist pervert" chart (at least with regards to one character.) If you don't mind spoilers, you can look at one of the previous threads about Seven Deadly Sins to get some details. I didn't find it bad enough to make me dislike the series, but it was enough that I wouldn't feel comfortable watching it with my wife as I think she'd get offended.

17. - Top - End - #17
    Barbarian in the Playground

Dr. Stone is pretty good. The first episode is boring in my opinion, but just suffer through it because the second is so much better. I haven't seen anything beyond episode three though so I'm not sure how much I can endorse it.

18. - Top - End - #18
    Firbolg in the Playground

Planetar

I'm going to add six to the list above.

Yona of the Dawn, about a princess who fights as an outlaw both to liberate her kingdom from the one who stole it from her, and also protect it from alien invaders.
    The opening credits .

Kino's Journey and its successor Kino's Journey: The Beautiful World. The second show is a remake of the first, and IMO higher quality. This is a story about a young orphan who travels the world with her talking motorcycle. She is also a badass with her guns, but she doesn't show this often. It is a very thoughtful show.

Yamato 2199, seen on Crunchyroll. A remake of the original "Space Battleship Yamato", our heroes travel the stars in the IJNS Yamato, raised from the depths of the sea on a mission to the planet Iscandar in an effort to obtain terraforming technology which will prevent humanity's extinction. It has a number of strong female characters , and is a great watch for mature viewers. I can't recommend this one highly enough.

Macross, one of the oldest and best animes. Originally released as one of three cartoons pasted together as Harmony Gold's Robotech, in the 1980s, it's a great love story and a great show. Susan and I love it. Dunno if you'll be able to get the original, but you can always get the first thirty-five episodes of Robotech and ignore the rest.

El Cazador De La Bruja, "The Hunter of the witch". LS is an escapee from a government lab who has partnered with Nadie, the bounty hunter who is pursuing her. They travel throughout Mexico having a number of daring escapes. Nadie is a very strong character and the scene where Ellis beats the **** out of a male stalker is still one of my favorite scenes in anime. If you're looking for an Indiana Jones show this will be right up your alley.

Fractale, in which a young man who lives in a matrix-like world is sucked into a whirlwind of intrigue revolving around the Lost Millenium, an insurgency which seeks to remain outside the holographic world inhabited by the rest of mankind.

All of these are great shows. Thanks for the reminder!

Respectfully,

Brian P.
    Last edited by pendell; 2019-10-01 at 02:42 PM.
    "Every lie we tell incurs a debt to the truth. Sooner or later, that debt is paid."

-Valery Legasov in Chernobyl

19. - Top - End - #19
    Troll in the Playground

Zombie

Legend of the Overfiend. If you want to get a divorce.
    Member of the Giants in the Playground Forum Chapter for the Movement to Reunite Gondwana!

20. - Top - End - #20
    Titan in the Playground

Thanks!
    Looking up what's available on Netflix/Hulu and that hasn't already been mentioned:

Mushishi is a fairly slow paced thoughtful anime featuring an investigator of strange and wonderful critters called mushishi, which are part spirits, part natural phenomena and are generally more accidentally harmful than intentionally malicious. Best description I can think of is a turn of the century Japan version of Kolchak The Night Stalker.

Soul Eater is one of your typical shonen high school full of superpowered children dramas, which immediately has an advantage over the typical series as it actually finished in 2 seasons. Essentially you have two types of pupils - those who can turn into weapons, and those who can wield said weapons - said children try and develop their abilities, while learning about their duty to hunt down evil witches and capture their souls.

Tokyo Ghoul - my wife really likes this show, although I've not had a chance yet to watch it. Skimming wikipedia indicates it's an urban fantasy show.

Death Parade - another interesting one. Trying not to spoil it, two people find themselves at a bar with little memory of themselves and the bartender makes them play a game. As the game goes on, they start remembering things about their collective past.

Ushio and Tora - I've heard this described as Calvin and Hobbes on acid. Tora is an ancient tiger demon, sworn to seek revenge on the samurai who trapped him for hundreds of years. Meet Ushio, a schoolboy, who is a descendant of said samurai and can channel his ancestor's powers though the magic spear which trapped Tora in the first place. Hi-jinks ensue.
    I recommend the 2015 reboot as it's more comprehensive than the original anime.

Branching out a bit and some suggestions on what my wife and I enjoyed together:

Chihayafuru - a sports anime based on the competitive version of the traditional Japanese game of karuta, which is best described as snap, except someone is reading out the name of the card you have to match.

Barakamon - a 'slice of life' anime following the trials and tribulations of young calligrapher sent to a remote island due to his poor behavior during a competition.

Is It Wrong to Try to Pick Up Girls in a Dungeon? - wait! I'm serious! Despite the title, it's actually an interesting version of the 'single dungeon supporting an economy' style of story. Gods have come down to the earthly plane and try and recruit humans to act as their followers/worshipers. In return for swearing fealty, the gods impart some of their divine power into their recruits, or familia. The series follows the adventures of a new recruit, Bell Cranel, in the service of his patron goddess, Hestia.
    A bit fan-servicey in places (ok, a lot fan-servicey), but my defence is that my wife started watching it first and we both ended up binging the entire first season in a day.

There's a couple others that my wife likes, but are probably too weird (eg. Jungle wa Hale Itsumo nochi Guu/The Jungle was fine, then came Guu), require a deep knowledge of Japanese culture and the anime industry (Gintama and its meta episodes) or both (Osomatsu reboot).

Quote Originally Posted by Magic_Hat View Post
    Dr. Stone is pretty good. The first episode is boring in my opinion, but just suffer through it because the second is so much better. I haven't seen anything beyond episode three though so I'm not sure how much I can endorse it.
    Personally, I loathe Dr Stone. It's aimed for a shonen market, so the science is aimed at the average 12 year old, which is further compounded by the fact that the writer is a physicist thus all the chemical/biological processes are seen through that lens, so all the scenes of 'this is the power of science!' resemble the chemistry/biology version of 'perfect frictionless spheres in a vacuum' physics problems and it's nearly as bad as Hollywood science.

The instance that made me give up the show is the use of silver spear head to detect hydrogen sulphide/sulphur dioxide near a volcanic spring, since silver tarnishes rapidly in the presence of sulphur compounds. This is completely ignoring the fact that the human nose can detect hydrogen sulphide as low as 0.0013 - 0.0047 ppm since it's so toxic to us. For reference, that's equivalent to detecting something about the size of a grain of sand that's been dispersed in about an Olympic swimming pool volume of water.

Quote Originally Posted by HandofShadows View Post
    Legend of the Overfiend. If you want to get a divorce.
    Actually if you can get past the gratuitous tentacle stuff, Urotsukidoji is quite a good horror movie. Second and subsequent ones, not so much.
    Last edited by Brother Oni; 2019-10-01 at 05:32 PM.

21. - Top - End - #21
    Troll in the Playground

SamuraiGirl

If you do watch Fate/Zero, I'd highly suggest its other sequel, the El-Melloi Case Files, that just finished up. It's a good mix of magic, mystery, comedy and action set in the Fate universe, but you won't get the full impact if you don't watch Fate/Zero first, but I think it's still quite good on its own.

Another recent anime that was pretty good is Kanata no Astra/Astra:Lost in Space, about a bunch of high school kids who get lost in space, and slowly uncover a huge conspiracy, but it's quite good.
    "And if you don't, the consequences will be dire!"
    "What? They'll have three extra hit dice and a rend attack?"

Factotum Variants!

22. - Top - End - #22
    Ettin in the Playground

How about Fairy Tail [sic]? It's a pretty good fantasy anime and last I checked (which admittedly was a while ago) the first few story arcs were on Netflix.

Seven Deadly Sins is also a good one that's on Netflix, but hasn't really been around long enough as an anime to be 'classic'

23. - Top - End - #23
    Ogre in the Playground

I don't know if it's been mentioned yet, but Anohana is currently on Netflix. That's a great anime to watch if you feel like crying for a few hours. It's probably my number one favorite anime of all time, actually.

24. - Top - End - #24
    Dwarf in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Celestia View Post
    I don't know if it's been mentioned yet, but Anohana is currently on Netflix. That's a great anime to watch if you feel like crying for a few hours. It's probably my number one favorite anime of all time, actually.
    It's also on crunchyroll, so there's not necessarily a rush (subbed, not dubbed - I dunno which Netflix chose).

25. - Top - End - #25
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Brother Oni View Post

Personally, I loathe Dr Stone. It's aimed for a shonen market, so the science is aimed at the average 12 year old, which is further compounded by the fact that the writer is a physicist thus all the chemical/biological processes are seen through that lens, so all the scenes of 'this is the power of science!' resemble the chemistry/biology version of 'perfect frictionless spheres in a vacuum' physics problems and it's nearly as bad as Hollywood science.

The instance that made me give up the show is the use of silver spear head to detect hydrogen sulphide/sulphur dioxide near a volcanic spring, since silver tarnishes rapidly in the presence of sulphur compounds. This is completely ignoring the fact that the human nose can detect hydrogen sulphide as low as 0.0013 - 0.0047 ppm since it's so toxic to us. For reference, that's equivalent to detecting something about the size of a grain of sand that's been dispersed in about an Olympic swimming pool volume of water.
    Right, sure, but...wasn't the whole point to NOT breathe in hydrogen sulfide? As I recall in that chapter they were wearing makeshift gas masks, but knew they wouldn't protect them for long/deep exposure, so used the silver as an alternate detection measure so they'd know when to GTFO.

26. - Top - End - #26
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by uncool View Post
    It's also on crunchyroll, so there's not necessarily a rush (subbed, not dubbed - I dunno which Netflix chose).
    I'm pretty sure Netflix has both. I know it's got the dub, though, because that's what I watched.

27. - Top - End - #27
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Callos_DeTerran View Post
    Hmm...Fate/Zero if you want something intense and pretty standalone for the Fate franchise that's also one of its best offerings.
    Fate/Zero was the first Fate thing I tried to watch and it was utterly incomprehensible to me.

I came back to it after having watched Fate/Unlimited Blade Works, which is the show I usually recommend as a Fate entry point now, and I loved it, but they really strongly assume that you know what's going on with a lot of things.
    If you like my ideas, why not take a peek at my Patreon? New RPGs and campaigns on a constant drip!

28. - Top - End - #28
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Rynjin View Post
    Right, sure, but...wasn't the whole point to NOT breathe in hydrogen sulfide? As I recall in that chapter they were wearing makeshift gas masks, but knew they wouldn't protect them for long/deep exposure, so used the silver as an alternate detection measure so they'd know when to GTFO.
    I didn't get to the gas mask bit. The part I saw was Senku making Ginro go first, using the with the silver spearhead like a HS detector.

While silver does tarnish easily with HS, it doesn't tarnish that quickly unless it reaches such a concentration that would be toxic to people - anything above 5-10 ppm leads to rapid desensitization of the sense of smell and the gas can kill you at this level is exposure is long enough. This paper seems to suggest that to get the silver to tarnish as quickly as seen in the show, you need pure sulphur vapour at least 120C.

29. - Top - End - #29
    Titan in the Playground

I'd recommend Moribito. It's a low fantasy series based on a series of books written by an actual anthropologist, which really comes through in the worldbuilding. On top of that it's just really good storytelling.
    I would really like to see a game made by Obryn, Kurald Galain, and Knaight from these forums.

I'm not joking one bit. I would buy the hell out of that.
    -- ChubbyRain

Current Design Project: Legacy, a game of masters and apprentices for two players and a GM.

30. - Top - End - #30
    Troll in the Playground

Zombie

Quote Originally Posted by Knaight View Post
    I'd recommend Moribito. It's a low fantasy series based on a series of books written by an actual anthropologist, which really comes through in the worldbuilding. On top of that it's just really good storytelling.
    Should have thought of this one myself. As already stated, good story, realistic (despite being low fantasy) and has very human characters who are likable.
    Member of the Giants in the Playground Forum Chapter for the Movement to Reunite Gondwana!