1. - Top - End - #1
    Firbolg in the Playground

Default Celestia's Finest: Comrades in Arms

Spoiler: General Ironbeak
    Show

Date: (REDACTED}

Interviewee: General Ironbeak

Interviewer: Dr. Hyper Thought

Notes: Subject had to be heavily restrained and dosed with 10cc enriched maginum in order to keep him from attempting to kill any member of Tartarus Station staff that came within range.

And even then, he was very belligerent. Not someone you want to meet in a dark alley. My condolences to the ponies who had to capture him.
    Dr. H. Thought

(BEGIN LOG)
    Due to the nature of the subject, the first hour of the log contains nothing but insults and taunts directed at Dr. Hyper Thought, including a wide range of recipes for cooking batpony. Apparently, the eyes are tastier compared to other breeds. A full log can be found in Document 194-734-A

Dr. Thought: ...Fascinating, yes. Absolutely fascinating. But unfortunately, I am not about to let myself be chopped up and put in a pot.

(Subject cackles and leers.)

Dr. Thought: Let’s get back to the matter at hoof. If I recall correctly, you and your worship the fourth god of the griffon pantheon, Maar, correct? The god of winter and death?

Ironbeak: Ah, you do know something about my kind then. Yes, we are followers of Maar. What of it?

Dr. Thought: Explain your faith. In your own words.

Ironbeak: Faith? Ha! What a very pony-like way of thinking. We do not distinguish between faith and fact, as you do doctor.

Dr. Thought: Why?

Ironbeak: It’s a meaningless distinction. The Three Laws would exist no matter what you believe. They shape the whole world. In a way, they are the world.

Dr. Thought: The three laws of robotics?

(Subject becomes agitated)
    Ironbeak: No! Foolish pony! (Spits. Additional dose administered. Begins chuckling) The Three Laws...the Three Laws...can you guess them?

Dr. Thought: Based upon my knowledge of your kind, I would guess something like, ‘Devour the Weak’, ‘The Strong Shall Rule’, and ‘Genocide is Okay, so Long as WE’RE the Ones Doing It’.

Ironbeak: You mock me, but those are all under the first rule. The Rule of Flesh.

Dr. Thought: Morbid. Explain.

Ironbeak: The Rule of Flesh is simple. It is the natural order of things. Yes, the strong survive and prey on the weak. Those who rule have absolute dominion. They can bind whole peoples, whole nations to their will. The only Order is that imposed by the Will! That is our Law, doctor. That is the way of the Corvid.

Dr. Thought: Then what of the other two laws? If they are not for you--

Ironbeak: The second is for you, doctor, and all the other ponies. Yours is the law of iron.

Dr. Thought: Explain.

Ironbeak: You think that, by classifying, dissecting, understanding the world, you can bind it. You can contain it, secure it, and protect yourselves behind your armor of logic and reason. And so, you call us barbarians. Barbarians! As if we were some sort of artifact, a relic beneath your consideration.

Dr. Thought: So what are you?

Ironbeak: Oh we are brutal, vicious, and cruel. But we are real. You are so wedded to your idea of ‘progress’ that you can’t see anything but a world steadily advancing towards some unseen goal. And yet, your buildings are made of calcifying concrete. You shamble around each day, living your lives to support not a Will, but a System. Your armor has become your cage. That is the Second Law, doctor.

Dr. Thought: And...the third?

Ironbeak: The Third is not a Law, it is an outcome. The two laws will always fight, and so the Third is the Law of Screaming. It’s the sound of the War, the war between Order and Chaos. And Maar, Maar lives for the war. He is the voice howling in the wind, one filled with rage and anger. Where he goes, death follows. Yours is Order, ours is Chaos. Don’t try to deny it! I know your true master, (REDACTED)! And after we devour the Sun and Moon, he shall learn that there is far more Darkness in the sky than there are Stars!

(The subject is sedated and the interview is terminated)

With a bit of light reading, Harrier Squad zooms across the ocean on the ‘Bird, Star at the helm, travelling far outside of Equestria this time. They head for the land of Vedina, a peninsula on the northern part of the Griffon Continent near to the islands where the corvids make their homes. Their mission: assist the Equestrian garrison and local military forces in defeating the corvid tribes, who have launched a series of raids against the coast. Rumor has it that General Ironbeak is in charge, cutting a brutal swathe through the countryside.

Vedina is hereditary monarchy and long-time ally of Equestria, with a mixed pony-griffon population, and allows Equestria to maintain several bases inside their territory, so the EDF can expect a warm welcome...as warm as griffons give anyway.

“So!” Star calls, “How was everyone’s leave? They kicked me out of the hangar at one point, so I had to spend mine on the beach.”
    Last edited by Miltonian; 2019-05-24 at 04:10 PM.

2. - Top - End - #2
    Ettin in the Playground

PaladinGuy

Default Re: Celestia's Finest: Comrades in Arms

Star's attitude contrasted sharply with that of Iron Beak's interview. The Corvid's attitude was rather ominous and the redacted portions of the report did little to ease his mind.

Why did it seem like every creature knew the plot of this little venture but themselves?

"Profitable in knowledge and finance thanks to Love's help." Longshot calls back to Star. "Of course, the new back drained all of that earned capital."

He shifted in his seat and noted that moving in armor no longer felt awkward. Weird how fast he'd picked this up. It was another example of his little his stubbornness helped him.

"Zero says 'hello' by the way."

3. - Top - End - #3
    Spamalot in the Playground

Rose listened to the interview, allowing a moment to consider the last part a valuable argument to take I.B. prisoner. The conversation seeps into her ears once the recording finished.

"I spent a few weeks in Stalliongrad with my sister hunting down extremists for cash, then a good month in and around Germaney getting my insides replaced by dubious chrome from an equally dubious chop shop. Panned out well enough that only one of my legs rejected the surgery." She held up her right foreleg, the only leg obviously mechanical, but it had molded steel to give it the appearance of muscle. The other three legs were good faux fur over cybernetics, with just some seams visible at the joints.

"After that I worked on my Chrysalis fan club and sent my sister off to a friend for boot camp."
    Digo Dragon - Artist
    D&D 5e Homebrew: My Little Pony Races

4. - Top - End - #4
    Ettin in the Playground

PaladinGuy

"It should be interesting to see the before and after boot camp experience. More power to her." Longshot comments.

He nods. "The new look suits you."

5. - Top - End - #5
    Titan in the Playground

The interview weighs on her mind. A few buttons get pressed. Switches get thrown. Love ponies the sensor while sitting next to Star and keeps an eye on their surroundings. The clear skies are a relaxing sight. She goes on alert anytime they fly nearish an island. The view is beautiful, and Love has one of the best seats on the ship for such a view.

Vedina. Griffons and Corvids. Love had more experience with the former than the later. The rumors over Ironbeak, after that interview, cause unease. This mission is a tough nut to crack. Hopefully, the local griffons are hospitable.

Longshot is the pony that wrote the book, brought the goods to market, but Love feels she helped enough she accepts the compliment without comment. She is happy to help Longshot spread a little capital K Kindness (in her view).

Though unnecessary since Love has tried to maintain contact with Zero, Love turns and says, "Tell her I said, 'hey' back." Love should think about bringing Zero and friends a souvenir.

"Stalliongrand and Germaney." Rose... "That's quite the trek. Did you travel by air?"

"I'm sorry about the leg rejection."

"Sounds like an interesting club. Did you see Chrysalis over your vacation?"

Love hasn't seen much of Rose lately. She is curious how she is doing.

Love smiles at Star, "The beach was lovely. I had a great leave."

6. - Top - End - #6

"Aw," Star says, "Tell her I say hi too." She grins over at Love. "Yeah. The beach was great. I think I love Mexicolt the best."

"Oh! Scarlet is joining the military? Huh." Star thinks for a moment. "We'll try not to give her the boot, eh? Booted from boot camp. Heh."

"As an update, we'll be approaching the shores of Vedina in about 20. Wheels down in 30."

7. - Top - End - #7

"Well, no my sis isn't actually joining the military. Not yet that I know of. I have a couple friends training her to fight and shoot. Might give her a self-confidence boost."

"And yeah, I flew around places."
    Digo Dragon - Artist

8. - Top - End - #8
    Ettin in the Playground

PaladinGuy

"If I run into Zero again, I'll pass along the message." Longshot replies. "I most likely will given that I've got to report back for a diagnostic and check up once we're done with the mission."

LS nods in response to Rose's explanation. "It never hurts to know what to do in a fight. I'm sure she'll get some use out of it."

"Sounds good, Star. Now that the in-flight movie is done, there's not much reason to keep circling." He jests.

9. - Top - End - #9
    Titan in the Playground

"The heart stays close to home. Mexicolt food was so good!" Love puts her hoofs closer to her mouth. "My mouth is watering just thinking about all the food." She chuckles and says to the group, "I may have gone overboard with the offered spices a few times." Love cools her tongue with a wave of the hoof.

To Star, "Roger. Message received."

Love feels like one of her questions was left unanswered.

To Longshot, "We appreciate it. We'll cover your flank kicking tech." She smiles at what is meant as a compliment. "Get you past that check up as well." She winks.

To Rose, "Yet? Is Scarlet thinking about joining the military? It'll help keep her out of trouble." Hopefully, Red Shield's need for a weapon is minimal and the she doesn't need one to get out of trouble. Traveling the world, doing stuff. It sounds like Red Shield is putting herself in danger. That has Love worried. Sounds like she is getting some training though...

To Rose, "Did you manage to relax on your leave? Sounds like work. I hope you had a time to enjoy your flights and vacation. We stopped by Germaney." Love chuckles. "We might have just missed each other on the road!"
    Last edited by Elbeyon; 2019-05-25 at 07:35 PM.

10. - Top - End - #10

Quote Originally Posted by D.KnightSpider View Post
    "It never hurts to know what to do in a fight. I'm sure she'll get some use out of it."
    "She better," Rose adds softly, but loud enough for LS to hear it. "I love her, but I can't fight her bullies for her."

Quote Originally Posted by Elbeyon View Post
    To Rose, "Yet? Is Scarlet thinking about joining the military? It'll help keep her out of trouble."

To Rose, "Did you manage to relax on your leave? Sounds like work. I hope you had a time to enjoy your flights and vacation. We stopped by Germaney." Love chuckles. "We might have just missed each other on the road!"
    "She hasn't told me she would, but she'll keep certain secrets even from me if she wants to, so... you'll have to ask her," Rose answers. "As for relaxing, I'll do plenty of it after i'm dead."
    Last edited by DigoDragon; 2019-05-26 at 08:14 AM.
    Digo Dragon - Artist

11. - Top - End - #11

"It was very good," Star says. To the rest, she adds, "If you all ever get the chance, you have to try Mexicolt food in Mexicolt. It's so much better than what they serve in Canterlot."

Star chuckles at Rose's comment. "After you're dead, eh? Grave situation you're in, no bones about it. Least you're in the spirit of things."

12. - Top - End - #12
    Ettin in the Playground

PaladinGuy

To Love: "I think the irony is going to be worse than the follow-up visits but, eh, it's going to be a long-term process getting patched up. If the cybernetics work as advertised, though, the advantages will be worth it."

"Sounds like a common denominator problem." Longshot whispers back to Rose.

He continues loud enough for the others to hear: "Given what I've been told, I'm willing to bet that any nation's local cuisine is better than our feeble replication attempts. Thankfully, though, 90% of my diet consists of salad and those are hard to ruin."

"Which is what happens when you hang about the local haunt." One last pun for the road.

13. - Top - End - #13

Rose shrugs. "Either of you want to see the row of bodies I plotted out while I was in Mareinev?"
    Digo Dragon - Artist

14. - Top - End - #14
    Troll in the Playground

"Relaxing, relaxing, and more relaxing." Brazen stretches out. "Well and reports but what soldier doesn't have to do that from time to time." The interview didn't sit to well with Brazen either though who knew how much was actual knowledge and how much was the General being insane.

15. - Top - End - #15
    Titan in the Playground

To Rose. Love chuckles. "She is a security expert. Sure, I'll shoot her a message and try to arrange a get together."

Love points at Star, looking happy, "Good spuns! Or, should I say: urns?" She smiles real big at that one.

To Longshot. Love gives him smirk. Good one as well. "I've been wanting to see you in action! You have me so curious!" She nods. "I'm here."

To Longshot. Love smiles real big. "Don't think I'll let you escape my cooking! A cook needs to know her audience. I've been picking up salad recipes and was hoping to test them on you. They are sure to tantalize the taste buds." Love is a pretty good cook so she isn't threatening him or anything.

To Longshot. Love says, "Ahh! That was hauntingly awesome! I need to pass on that one. ", at his most obvious pun.

To Rose's plotting, "Like you did architecture?"

To Brazen, "Sounds like you had a good leave. Did you do any traveling with Seafire?"
    Last edited by Elbeyon; 2019-05-26 at 01:49 PM.

16. - Top - End - #16

"Glad to hear you all haven't tired of my jokes yet," Star quips, "I worry I'm losing my edge sometimes."

"Row of...?" Star glances back for a moment. "Uh, is that what I think it is?"

In a few moments, however, she has to turn her attention to the comms and start relaying their information to the traffic control. After all, no one wants to get mistakenly blown out of the sky today.

17. - Top - End - #17
    Ettin in the Playground

PaladinGuy

"I have no comments on reports. Only that I'm sure the opportunity for salad will come in time. Otherwise," Longshot waves off Rose's suggestion. "I'm good with my ignorance.

"Any pony have any new tricks they want to share with the rest of the class?"

18. - Top - End - #18

"Yeah, it is." Rose nods to Star, and doesn't need to clarify.
    Digo Dragon - Artist

19. - Top - End - #19
    Titan in the Playground

Love looks to Star. She tries to hide a frown.

To Rose, "I'll take a look."

Spoiler: Roll
    Show
    BugButt Question
    (3d6)[9] vs 14 (Body Language) +3 (Hyper)

Plot of Bodies
    (3d6)[17] vs 14 (Body Language) +3 (Hyper)

20. - Top - End - #20

"I did take some time in a flight simulator to brush up on piloting other ships," Star says, "So if the 'Bird's ever down, I won't be."

"I also have more than a 'passing' score on my rifle accuracy." She points over her shoulder to a shiny new assault rifle hanging from the back of her seat. "So there's that."

21. - Top - End - #21
    Ettin in the Playground

PaladinGuy

"Being able to reliably shoot things is a benefit in our line of work." Longshot comments. "Maybe we should all hit the range sometime."

He adjusts the scarf Love provided. "I spent some time studying broader tactical considerations so I might be able to predict enemy movements now.

"I also spent some time messing with different gas clouds so I should have an easier time dissipating or moving them."
    Last edited by D.KnightSpider; 2019-05-27 at 01:30 PM.

22. - Top - End - #22

"I also spent some time messing with different gas clouds so I should have an easier time dissipating or moving them."
    "Between the two of us we'll not have to worry about gassing allies," Rose says.
    Digo Dragon - Artist

23. - Top - End - #23
    Titan in the Playground

Love helps Star make sure they are all green for landing. She collects the contact information as it comes through the channels.

"I'd love to hit the range with everyone. I'm always up for practice and playing around with fancy ammo."

Love whistles at Longshot's report. Impressive. "A difficult task, but always useful."

She smiles real big, "I spent a lot of time learning about magic." She claps her hoofs.

A small cloud of green smoke appears between Longshot and Rose. The vapors clear enough to reveal a cauldron with a mini LoveHolo stirring a stick through the boiling soup. Zebras are gathered around to discuss the alchemist topic on hoof. Love breaks into a silent cackle as the smoke overflows.

An ember sparks and flies through the air near the cauldron. A mini LoveHolo silently bangs a blacksmith hammer on a sword laden anvil. The ship floor around her shifts into a glowing city. A donkey steps in from the east. The scene warps and bends until she is mediating in a forest. A deer steps up behind the west. The trees to autumn and fade away in the wind. Four book shelves snap up around Love and close in on her as she studies hard. A unicorn steps in from the north. The shelves sink into the floor. Water pours in around Love to fill the cube. She sings at the bottom of the ocean. A hippogriff flies in from the south. The environment fades away until only the five people remain.
    Last edited by Elbeyon; 2019-05-27 at 09:40 PM.

24. - Top - End - #24
    Ettin in the Playground

PaladinGuy

Quote Originally Posted by DigoDragon View Post
    "Between the two of us we'll not have to worry about gassing allies," Rose says.
    "Or Brazen after he samples Mexicolt cuisine." It's a good natured quip.

The environment fades away until only the five people remain.
    "That's quite the training regiment." Longshot says. "If the skill gain is equal to the variety, then I expect great things."

25. - Top - End - #25

The environment fades away until only the five people remain.
    "Huh, you got pretty good hologram things going. My sister's description doesn't seem like enough justice."

"Or Brazen after he samples Mexicolt cuisine." It's a good natured quip.
    "If he does that, I'll just remove the air entirely," Rose says with a narrow-eyed smirk in Brazen's direction.
    Digo Dragon - Artist

26. - Top - End - #26
    Titan in the Playground

Love chuckles at the back and forth about the Brazen aftermath.

To Longshot, "I actually spent most of my time training on making that hologram! I wanted to see magic through different lenses and try to understand the thing in my own way. I could show you more, but I hadn't noticed you signing up for an in-flight movie." Love smirks.

To Rose, a little sad, "You missed the grand debut." She pops back, "I can show you my costumes later!" She adds some detail, "I've gone through several iterations of hologram editing programs! This one is a kraken! A large item database, a lot of heavy lifting from the program, and images directly from my mind allow me to create holograms on the fly. My holograms have come a long way from simply recording a 3D image or manually editing every frame. I can show people the holograms I want!"

In the background. The water in the cube must have splashed out onto the AlchemistLove as her cauldron fire has been put out. She raises her stick up in the air toward the front of the bird. Her cauldron beings to shakes and quakes. A tentacle flips out before another flurry of tentacles follow. LoveHolo turns around in surprise as her stick is tugged on. She pulls back and begins fencing a kraken in the pot.
    Last edited by Elbeyon; 2019-05-27 at 10:54 PM.

27. - Top - End - #27

"I would clap, but I think you want my hooves to stay on the controls," Star says with a chuckle, "It's a good show, though! And I'll have you all know that she only dragged me along for part of the ride."

"On final approach. The base commander says that the knight-liason will be meeting us there and transport us to the command center for a more up-to-date mission briefing."

28. - Top - End - #28
    Ettin in the Playground

PaladinGuy

"Sounds good, Star." Longshot checks his seat restraints. "All tables are stowed and the chairs are in the locked upright position."

"And since I didn't sign up for an in-flight movie, I suppose I'll never know whether Love survived her trials with the kraken. Woe is me." He leans back against the headrest and closes his eyes.

Fun time was coming to an end. It was time to start getting serious.

29. - Top - End - #29

Rose tightened her gear straps, saying nothing more on any of the current subjects.
    Digo Dragon - Artist

30. - Top - End - #30
    Titan in the Playground

Love has her hoofs on the controls! Now anyway... Joking, "I'd rather have Star pilot than auto-pilot." She smiles at Star complimenting her while she throws a switch.

To Longshot, "Spoiler. I lived! The tales of my fate were highly exaggerated!"

The hologram flickers away and the HoloBots in the cabin re-run securing protocols.

Love starts running through the co-pilot pre-landing procedures.

"An escort. How exciting. I can't wait!"
    Last edited by Elbeyon; 2019-05-28 at 12:03 PM.