The Order of the Stick: Utterly Dwarfed
The Order of the Stick: Utterly Dwarfed - Coming in December and available for pre-order now
Page 34 of 36 FirstFirst ... 924252627282930313233343536 LastLast
Results 991 to 1,020 of 1072
  1. - Top - End - #991
    Titan in the Playground

Default Re: Celestia's Finest: Comrades in Arms

Love makes sure the sailor is protected from the explosion and asks for Brazen's extra riot shield if needed. Love thinks she has identified the spell that got cast, but the spell was modified so Love SCANS the sailor just in case there is information to be had. A LoveHolo stands by her.

Scomm (EDF), in response to Star, "You be safe too." Stay away from that death laser.

Scomm (EDF), "Every pony don't give up. Things aren't over yet. He is storing everypony's life energy for something. I'll try to get a good read. We might need to SCAN more than one thing at a time and split up the task." Love can't outwork everypony shooting up the place. She already tried that.

She has her weapon set to Shock.

2. - Top - End - #992
    Ettin in the Playground

PaladinGuy

Longshot rigs two more of his Limpet Mines for quick use.

SEC: "Affirmative, Love. We'll have to take it as it comes.

Brazen, let's roll."

3. - Top - End - #993
    Troll in the Playground

Bazen nods, his grenades and shotgun are loaded and ready for the encounter. All that was waiting for one little command... Sent to the detonator.

Other Avatars
    Spoiler
    Show

4. - Top - End - #994
    Ettin in the Playground

The wall blows apart, spewing bone fragments like shrapnel into the inside of the serpent's braincase. Immediately, the air is filled with shrieks and screams of pain. Blowing through the wall was an excellent idea. The corvids had formed up at the door, ready to fill the air with bullets. Coming in from an alternate route has blindsided them, severely reducing their threat level.

They should have invested in a CCTV system for their giant doom-snake of necromantic death.

As Harrier Squad charges through the breach, the immediate situation is this: ten corvids remain alive inside the antechamber they've blown their way into, though only two are uninjured. At the back of the antechamber is an open archway, which shows the way back into a massive, open space filled with a sickly green light that spills forth from some kind of magical dynamo. Standing in front of it are two people. On the left is Iron Beak, aglow with power and only in his macabre dress uniform. And on the left is a face they did not expect. 'Hazel', the renegade zebra elder and unrepentant necromancer. She floats off the floor, incorporeal form slightly transparent and filled with the green light.

Iron Beak takes to the skies and moves with astonishing speed across the great distance. He has no weapons, no armor, only a wide, malicious grin and his claws. "If you fools can't kill them, I'll do it myself!" he snaps at his underlings.

5. - Top - End - #995
    Ettin in the Playground

PaladinGuy

Oooookay, then. He hadn't expected that.

Longshot takes on the situation and makes a few snap decisions. He charges forward, spraying snap shots at Iron Beak. Not that he expected them to actually accomplish anything.

SEC: "I'll try to distract Iron Beak. Clear the room and shut down Hazelnut Mint Chocolate Chip."

"You want to rumble? Come on!"

Spoiler
    Show
    Attack
    (3d6)[4][3][5](12) VS 31

(6d6)[6][5][1][1][1][3](17)
    (6d6)[5][4][5][1][1][2](18)
    (6d6)[5][6][2][6][2][1](22)
    (6d6)[4][1][2][3][1][4](15)
    (6d6)[1][5][1][6][2][3](18)
    (6d6)[4][2][2][5][3][3](19)
    (6d6)[1][1][6][6][1][1](16)
    (6d6)[1][6][1][3][6][3](20)
    (6d6)[3][3][4][5][5][4](24)
    (6d6)[2][6][3][3][5][5](24)

Perception
    (3d6)[6][3][6](15) VS 16
    Last edited by D.KnightSpider; 2019-09-21 at 11:37 PM.

6. - Top - End - #996
    Spamalot in the Playground

Silent Comm (EDF): 'Mmm, mint chocolate chip...'

Rose jumps into the room and runs to the zorth direction. She pulls out a spell stone and readies it to attempt shutting Hazel down.
    Digo Dragon - Artist
    D&D 5e Homebrew: My Little Pony Races

7. - Top - End - #997
    Titan in the Playground

Love grimaces at the shrieks and screams of pain. Several bugbots drop out of her bag to stop the bleeding on the downed corvids and others slowlyl spread across the room to start giving additional angles to their TacNet.

Scomm (EDF), "I'm going to try to disconnect their life tank before they burn up everypony's precious life energy! A SCAN on anything magical might give me useful information!" That is three subjects? Iron Beak. Mint. And, whatever is in the magic room?

Love flies past Rose and towards the larger room. She wants to SCAN the big magical thing in that room.

Armor transparent, Love shouts to the Zebra, "Elder! I've been looking for you. You are a very hard person to find! Are you the one that made this thing and set up the spell circles?"

8. - Top - End - #998
    Troll in the Playground

As targets become apparent Brazen takes aim and opens fire on the remaining corvids, starting with the ones that seem uninjured.

Spoiler
    Show
    AP rounds, 10 shot spray?
    Shotgun (3d6)[7] vs 23

Other Avatars
    Spoiler
    Show

9. - Top - End - #999
    Ettin in the Playground

Longshot's hail of lasers do exactly what he expects: diddly-squat. They miss, plain and simple, without Iron Beak even having to turn aside.

Fortunately, he singles out Longshot and directs his charge towards him. He closes the distance between them with an in-griffon burst of speed that leaves faint after-images behind. He comes in with a hammer blow from his right, cybernetic limb, aiming at Longshot's chin.

Brazen's shotgun barks out a quick, few reports and downs the few corvids that remain up. The others are too injured to continue, though if Love wants a 'thank you' for administering help to them, she will be sorely disappointed.

The SCAN begins! And as for the Elder, she drops down through the ground, up to her old tricks again.

10. - Top - End - #1000
    Ettin in the Playground

PaladinGuy

The griffon's speed catches him off guard, but Longshot recovers just in time to react. He releases his hold on the rifle, deflects the blow with a mid-air spin and snatches up his rifle again in one fluid motion.

Looks like all that boxing practice was paying off.

"You fight like you stratagize. No wonder I walked all over your forces."

Longshot's momentum carries him around and behind Iron Beak. He unloads another full round burst from behind the supercharged griffon.

Spoiler
    Show
    Attack VS 31
    (3d6)[4][5][1](10)

Damage
    (6d6)[2][5][4][1][3][5](20)
    (6d6)[2][1][6][3][5][2](19)
    (6d6)[5][1][4][6][1][2](19)
    (6d6)[2][1][3][3][1][1](11)
    (6d6)[2][4][1][5][2][6](20)
    (6d6)[6][4][4][3][4][1](22)
    (6d6)[2][5][1][1][2][6](17)
    (6d6)[3][1][6][6][6][1](23)
    (6d6)[1][1][1][4][4][1](12)
    (6d6)[5][5][5][5][3][1](24)

11. - Top - End - #1001

Rose will go study the Dynamo to see if can be shut down or smashed safely.

Thaumatology (3d6)[5] vs. 15
    Last edited by DigoDragon; 2019-09-22 at 07:59 PM.
    Digo Dragon - Artist

12. - Top - End - #1002
    Titan in the Playground

No thank you demanded.

Love says out loud, "I spent three months searching for you, Elder, and you are going to ghost me as soon as you see me? Not even a hello, Love? I'm going to be grabbing some strong vodka and drinks if you want to talk magical theory. I still want to chat with you."

Love pulls out an analyze magic spell stone. Little Twi is already working. She can't double scan and grab Iron Beak. She mimics Rose and spends time analyzing the magic with her Mage Sight.

Spoiler: Roll
    Show
    Thaumatology
    (3d6)[13]

13. - Top - End - #1003
    Troll in the Playground

With the smaller corvids dealt with Brazen turns his shotgun towards Ironclaw and takes aim. Not wanting to hit Longshot by accident.

Aim maneuver.

Other Avatars
    Spoiler
    Show

14. - Top - End - #1004
    Ettin in the Playground

Even from almost point-blank range, Longshot's salvo has no effect. The corvid general turns, eyes aflame and beak drawn into a rictus grin. "I don't need an army anymore," he says, "Not when I can do this!"

He throws his entire body into a single blow, aimed at Longshot's chest.

Love and Rose identify the dynamo as the central matrix of the spell animating the whole serpent. This is what the massive ritual went into making. Furthermore, Rose identifies it as mostly self-sustaining. The fact that it was not quite complete means the matrix is leaking magical energy and, if not repaired, will eventually 'die' of its own accord, but that will take some time. There is plenty that could be done to hurry along the process. Shooting it would work, but the backlash could kill everyone in the room. However, with some skill and spellcraft, the ragged edges of that hole in the matrix could be pulled apart and widened.

The SCAN continues.

15. - Top - End - #1005
    Ettin in the Playground

PaladinGuy

"Do what? Swing and miss?"

Longshot contorts through the air in a complicated twist, which leaves him perched on Iron Beak's outstretched claw for a split instant. His wings snap and carry him backward, away from the cyborg griffin general.

"That's real impressive. Not that I'd expect anything less from a coward such as yourself."

He unhooks one of the Limpet Mines from his belt.

16. - Top - End - #1006

Rose attempts to breech open the dynamo in a controlled manner. (3d6)[7]
    Digo Dragon - Artist

17. - Top - End - #1007
    Titan in the Playground

Scomm (EDF), "I need to think."

Love puts up her forelegs and crosses her backlegs while floating in the air.

18. - Top - End - #1008
    Troll in the Playground

Hrm... While Brazen's shots weren't lasers the fact that Longshot's salvo had no effect didn't bode well for the earth pony's purposes. Longshot taking out a limpet mine however did give Brazen ideas, who copies the retrieval of a limpet mine and leaps for Ironclaw while he's distracted.

Spoiler
    Show
    I think this would basically be a brawling check if I'm not mistaken?

Brawling (3d6)[7] vs 15

Other Avatars
    Spoiler
    Show

19. - Top - End - #1009
    Ettin in the Playground

Rose begins the attempt! This will take a bit and require a lot of concentration, though snarky comments are always a free action. Now, the rest of the squad has to defend her while she makes the attempt.

Love's SCAN completes! Her little AI helper pops up in the corner of her vision. "This is a TX-98 series magical dynamo, used primarily in the factories of large, enchanting companies to store and provide magical power to the assembly line. It is capable of fueling large-scale enchantments and maintaining a massive spell-load at once, up by 20% more from previous iterations. It is, however, out of date as of the release of the GT-Series."

Unfortunately, Love's thinking time is cut short as she sees the Elder rise from the floor right behind Rose and extend a magically-charged staff towards her back. Love, being the only one with the presence of mind (and Advantages) to notice this, has an opportunity to warn her. Otherwise, Rose gets no dodge roll.

Ironbeak twists away from Brazen's hooves and responds with a well-aimed kick directed at the earth pony's chest. "Down, boy," he snarls, "The adults are having a conversation."

20. - Top - End - #1010
    Ettin in the Playground

PaladinGuy

"Oh, is that what this is?"

Taking advantage of Brazen's distraction, Longshot darts forward and attempts to plant the explosive on Iron Beak.

"I thought it was you being completely ineffective despite your massive over-compensation."

Spoiler
    Show
    DX
    (3d6)[6][1][5](12) VS 13

21. - Top - End - #1011

Rose continues to unfold the matrix like someone wanting to save the Hearthswarming gift wrapping from the box.

(3d6)[7]
    Digo Dragon - Artist

22. - Top - End - #1012
    Troll in the Playground

"He does kinda look like a foal throwin a temper tantrum don't he?" Brazen tries to interpose his shield and go for another smack to apply the limpet mine.

Shield (3d6)[8] vs 16
    Brawling (3d6)[11] vs 15

Other Avatars
    Spoiler
    Show

23. - Top - End - #1013
    Titan in the Playground

Love speaks simultaneously.

She says to her armor, "Thanks for the information Little Twi!"

Scomm (Rose), "Behind you!" Love pushes a feed of Mint attacking her. "Rose, get out of the way!"

Love speaks up as Mint comes out of the floor, "Elder! Why are you doing this!?"

Love will give Rose the information on the magical dynamo.

24. - Top - End - #1014

Rose attempts to dodge? (3d6)[15]
    Digo Dragon - Artist

25. - Top - End - #1015
    Ettin in the Playground

Rose tries to leap aside, but she feels the elder's staff rap her on the spine. Immediately, a sickly feeling of nausea and decay comes over her. She knows she has just been cursed, but doesn't know by what.

Spoiler
    Show
    Make and HT roll, please. On a failure, take 1d-1 damage.

The Elder's only response to Love is a scowl and a terse, "Silence, child."

As for Ironbeak, his kick is successfully blocked by Brazen's shield...which then bends inwards, almost to the point of breaking, from the impact. That worked this time, but the shield won't survive a second hit. He chuckles. "Ah, you are trying to infuriate me. A clever ploy, and it might have worked. But I have gained a new perspective." His eyes settle on Brazen. "Namely, that you will tire and weaken. I will not. Therefore, no matter how long it takes, you will fall. My victory is assured."

The corvid general avoids Brazen's attack, but can't do the same for Longshot's. The limpet mine is planted. However, he takes the opportunity to launch a flurry of blows in Longshot's direction, striking out twice with one fist and once with the other. Three blows in total.

26. - Top - End - #1016
    Ettin in the Playground

PaladinGuy

Thumbs down Re: Celestia's Finest: Comrades in Arms

If this were baseball, then Iron Beak would have struck out. Longshot bats away the first blow as he rises into the air, circles away from the second and barely deflects the third. But the end result is that he evades unscathed.

SEC: "Brazen, get some distance."

He darts backward, attempting to get out of blast range.

"Stars, could you possible get even more cliche?"

Once Brazen is clear, Longshot sends the donation code to the Limpet Mine.
    Last edited by D.KnightSpider; 2019-09-25 at 08:02 PM.

27. - Top - End - #1017

Rose catches the upheaval of vomit in her throat and swallows it back down. Her first two steps trembled from the nausea. She looked over at the witch, then over to Ironbeak. Too much stalling. All they had to do was stall the squad, right? Rose swallowed hard. She was tired of these motherbucking artifacts, on her motherbucking planet. Rose raises her rifle and pulls the trigger on the dynamo core.

Spoiler: Do the Thing
    Show
    Rose shoots the dynamo.

Attack (3d6)[12] vs. 21+ (Base 18 +3 high RoF (15 shots), +SM modifier of the dynamo)

Spoiler: Damage if this hits
    Show
    (6d6)[21] pi (AP3)
    (6d6)[22] pi (AP3)
    (6d6)[29] pi (AP3)

(6d6)[27] pi (AP3)
    (6d6)[21] pi (AP3)
    (6d6)[19] pi (AP3)

(6d6)[12] pi (AP3)
    (6d6)[25] pi (AP3)
    (6d6)[23] pi (AP3)

(6d6)[17] pi (AP3)
    (6d6)[22] pi (AP3)
    (6d6)[16] pi (AP3)

(6d6)[23] pi (AP3)
    (6d6)[21] pi (AP3)
    (6d6)[26] pi (AP3)
    Digo Dragon - Artist

28. - Top - End - #1018
    Troll in the Playground

As much as Brazen wanted to try and plant his mine again but he didn't want to chance another jump given Longshot at least had gotten his on so the earth pony moves backwards. "Eh, ah'd prefer that over being an ugly featherball like you."

Other Avatars
    Spoiler
    Show

29. - Top - End - #1019
    Ettin in the Playground

Brazen jumps back, free and clear of the ensuing explosion. Iron Beak's body ripples like water, and a small jet of his glowing aura shoots off in the opposite direction. He, however, remains entirely whole and unharmed. He laughs. "You have my respect. I hope, when you are dead, that Equestria will remember you."

Then, Rose shoots the Dynamo and the whole world takes two steps to the left. The energy stored within surges out, filling the room and sapping the life out of everyone in it. A bolt of green lightning strikes Elder, piercing her magical protection and slaying her instantly. She lets out a small croak as she falls to the ground, incorporeal body passing right through the floor.

And the other bolt...strikes Brazen. Ever dependable, always ready to fight, and full of snark, he will be missed. The hero of Equestria is struck down, for good. At least his old enemy, the ground, did not have the satisfaction of doing him in.

"You suicidal...ponies!" Iron Beak snaps. Snarling, he whirls and flees for the door.

---------

Brazen wakes up. He is on his back with dark trees arching over him and a grey sky above that. Yet he feels calm, at peace. Everything is alright now. The chaos of battle is already fading from his mind.

It's funny how quickly things can change. One moment, he was there, fighting, taunting, and being his roguish self, and the next he's here. Wherever here is.

A pale-coated mare in a black cloak stands beside him. She slowly bends down and offers him a hoof. "Welcome, Brazen," she says, "Ah. My condolences too, of course. You had a better run than most, though, so be proud of that." Her hoof hangs there, waiting for him to take it. "I know this must be a shock. You have many questions, perhaps. But right now, there's only one question that needs to be answered: are you ready to go?"

30. - Top - End - #1020
    Troll in the Playground

Brazen blinks at his change in surroundings. Had he been... Teleported? The mine had gone off, there was a shot, a surge of green then... Here. Something didn't feel right though which only grew as the pale dark robed pony spoke. "I... Ain't finished the job though. How can I be ready?" He grunts pushing himself into a seated position.

Other Avatars
    Spoiler
    Show