The Order of the Stick: Utterly Dwarfed
The Order of the Stick: Utterly Dwarfed - Coming in December and available for pre-order now
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #31
    Orc in the Playground

PaladinGuy

Default Re: Coriolis - The Third Horizon IC

"And, by some, he means only the basic fee," Fahim confirms. "If you could indulge my shipmates."

2. - Top - End - #32
    Orc in the Playground

MindFlayer

Salaame smiles, "Don't sell yourself short Fahim. You also told us where to go, to meet Mr. Yusef here.
    Song of my soul, my voice is dead,
    Die thou, unsung, as tears unshed.
    Shall dry and die in,
    Lost Carcosa.

The King In Yellow - Robert W. Chambers

3. - Top - End - #33
    Titan in the Playground

Yusef Kander

Yusef took a deep breath before turning around to face the lot of you. His face was scarred and one of his eyes were missing (most likely), a eyepatch covering over the right eye socket.
    "Yes. Fahim, I know you did not break the NDA you signed. I got eyes and ears everywhere here on Coriolis after all." Yusef said with his single-eyed gaze focused straight on Fahim for a few seconds, then Yusef closed it and took a deep breath before turning his focus to the others as well. "You must be Salaame, yes? Now, the Job that I have in mind for all of you is to go salvage the bridge of the wreck of a massive Dreadnought-Class Warship, that would be a Class V Battlecruiser in our own classification format. It's a relic of the Portal Wars, a leftover flotsam created within the First Horizon. At least that's what our first estimate-examinations could give us." Yusef said and coughed a little to clear his throat.
    "The warship's been spotted orbiting the Empty Portal in the Menkar System. We currently know that the Warship apparently just appeared there only a week or so ago, and that it's engine core is gone, signs clearly indicating it exploded. Historic references could indicate that this Warship is also of Earth Descend and it's engine core exploded just as it passed through the portal transferring it from the First Horizon, to our Third Horizon."
    With a deep breath, Yusef's manners turned more business-like as he continued. "Returning with the salvaged Bridge of this Warship will net you all a collective total of 50.000 Birr, Return with a recording of the salvage itself will give a bonus, depending on the quality and overall value of the recordings. Any salvages weaponry found is mandatory to be handed over to us. you will of course be paid an additional bonus for it. Any non-weaponry salvaged from the wreckage are yours to keep or sell as you see fit. I shall send you all along with a signed papers of Salvage-rights, so should anyone else arrive, you have legitimate rights to be there, with Consortium Support and Backing. Now, will you take the job? You will have to return within a Segment's Time, otherwise our contract will be voided. That is why we have paid for the direct-line of travel to Menkar so you have no need for waiting around during portal jumps. To and from Menkar only, no deviation from the jump path is allowed or paid by us. Agreed?" Yusef said, his eye wandering to and from each of you, gauging your responses.
    Awesome avatars:
    Spoiler
    Show

Awesome dark heresy inquisitor avatar by Emperor Ing

Gender bended avatar by Emperor Ing

.... in her party dress, also by Emperor Ing

Epic imperial Guardsman by The Architect

Youtube Account:Here.

4. - Top - End - #34
    Orc in the Playground

PaladinGuy

Fahim turns to his shipmates. "I think this is a good opportunity; what say you?"

5. - Top - End - #35
    Orc in the Playground

MindFlayer

"Yes, I am Salaame."

Salaame pauses for a moment, then shrugs; "So, you want the four of us to go to a remote sector of space. With salvaging rights, and you really think that if someone's already there, or arrives while we're searching the ship and salvaging. That they will just turn tail and leave us alone. Is that correct?"

"I don't have a problem with the mission, we'll take it. I'm not so sure we'll get out of this, without, having to turn people away with force. Although, I sincerely hope it doesn't come to that. Since it's a remote segment of space, my worry is how fast Consortium support would get there."

Salaame does have a worried look on his face, how long would it take for "support" to arrive. Could the other three handle such a situation? Could he coordinate them through such a situation without losses? When he was working for The Order, he had more than three people under his command, better weaponry, better armor, and better training.

"So, salvage the bridge, weaponry; and, record the salvage. Now, are we talking ship weapons systems . . . personal armor, and weapons . . .both? Are there any other things you'd like us to grab? Hypothetically, recordings of what happened on the ship? That sort of thing. Oh, and what's the name of the ship?"
    Last edited by SaturnSolaris; 2019-08-02 at 10:43 PM.
    Shall dry and die in,
    Lost Carcosa.

6. - Top - End - #36
    Ettin in the Playground

Damis

The potential of this could be interesting. While the talk about running into others is a concern, their employer really only wants what appears to be military supplies. They could gift their benefactor some artifacts, even small ones. From experience, a lot of people just want to get their hands on anything old enough to be said in the same breath as "earth". Or, of course, if everyone forgets they were asking favors just sell the things.

Plus there doesn't seem to be anything immediate causing potential harm if they get there alone. Just the usual problems with heavy equipment. Something does seem just a bit off though.
    "Do you expect salvaging the bridge to be uniquely complicated? Having a recording of salvage doesn't seem like a usual request as long as the job is done."
    Ask me about our low price vacation plans in the Elemental Plane of Puppies and Pie
    Spoiler
    Show

Evoker avatar by kpenguin. Evoker Pony by Dirtytabs. Grey Mouser, disciple of cupcakes by me. Any and all commiepuppies by BRC

Ask blogs: Screwball and Derpy | Gummy

7. - Top - End - #37
    Titan in the Playground

Yusef Kander

"I expect no complications from this. You're the only ones that have been introduced to this job so far and chronological measurements show that the Warship had only arrived a day prior to the surveyor-team we had stationed out there. No one else should as if yet, be aware of what we have located there." Yusef replied to Salaame's thoughts on 'what if we are not the first there'.
    To affirm the above, Yusef continued with "As long as they aren't Pirates, SHOULD anyone arrive and you show My mark and signature, they'll more likely than not just skirt at the edge of the Empty Portal's area and wait until you leave."

"Yes, salvage the bridge, record the procedure, return and hand over any additional-salvage considered weaponry. This means both ship components as well as personnel-type weaponry like guns and such. Any found and intact body armor and whatnot is NOT required to be handed over, but at least a uniform or two would be appreciated as part of the future-exhibit. Should you find any artefacts or unknown devices, please bring them here and we'll help investigate their purpose. Full recompense-deed given should anything happen to any of them during the investigative measures taken. And yes, should you find any recordings, be they ship's logs, security-recordings, etc. please bring such back as well."

Yusef was about to turnwards Damis to answer his question when Salaame's question with regards to the Warship's name. "That is a very good question. from what our databases could tell us, it would appear to be the specific warship named 'Red Octo Bear'.... But it doesn't sound quite right, so I'm fairly certain that's faulty data. We do know it's from the First Horizon however, so for now, I'd recommend we call it as such until an official name for it can be found. If you find any information about it's name and greater purpose, bring that back as well."
    Then Yusef turned to Damis. "From what I understood, your ship is a Class III Salvage Vessel, yes? should be no trouble using that salvage rig to cut free the bridge from the wreck itself."

And with that Yusef went quiet again, attentive and waiting for either further questions or a 'well that was it, we will head off now for the job' sort of response.
    Last edited by Hemnon; 2019-08-04 at 07:08 AM.
    Awesome avatars:
    Spoiler
    Show

8. - Top - End - #38
    Orc in the Playground

MindFlayer

"My worry is pirates, or desperate people, which isn't mutually exclusive. But, while I admit it may be wasted. I think it's good to start planning for such a circumstance."

Salaame looks at Damis and Fahim.

"That's an odd name. Do we have any other questions?"
    Last edited by SaturnSolaris; 2019-08-04 at 02:57 PM.

9. - Top - End - #39
    Orc in the Playground

PaladinGuy

"None from me. I'm eager to explore such an historical ship," Fahim says. "The salvage itself shouldn't be difficult, as I expect whatever power sources it has are long since exhausted. And ships this large were generally built in sections and assembled later; we can use that to our advantage."

10. - Top - End - #40
    Ettin in the Playground

"Well there's a lot we don't know about Earth, but that does sound like a creature to name a warship after."

There's a lot of half-answer about the response Damis received from their contact, but historical documentation seems well enough. Especially with assurances that space would be quiet it seems a no-brainer for a first mission, including short travel time.

"I'm satisfied this will be mutually-beneficial," he responds to the 'any more questions' question.
    Ask me about our low price vacation plans in the Elemental Plane of Puppies and Pie
    Spoiler
    Show

Evoker avatar by kpenguin. Evoker Pony by Dirtytabs. Grey Mouser, disciple of cupcakes by me. Any and all commiepuppies by BRC

11. - Top - End - #41
    Orc in the Playground

MindFlayer

Salaame reaches out to shake Yusef's hand, "Right, then I believe we are done here."

"Alright, time to get stocked up and get ready to head out.
    Shall dry and die in,
    Lost Carcosa.

12. - Top - End - #42
    Orc in the Playground

PaladinGuy

"I'll start on preflight checks," Fahim offers. He starts for the ship, stops, and turns around. "Hey, if you're getting provisions, grab some of those chocolate crunch bars for me; thanks."

He then heads for the ship.

13. - Top - End - #43
    Orc in the Playground

MindFlayer

"Right. Check on Ramad, while you're there. I'm fairly certain he went to the ship. Check our ammo and **** too, and reach me on the comm if we need anything else."

Salaam reaches out to shake Yusef's hand, then turns around to head out.

"We'll be seeing you."

"Looks like it's just us two, Damis. We need to make a stop, and then we'll get provisions, and anything else we might need.
    Last edited by SaturnSolaris; 2019-08-07 at 05:50 PM.

14. - Top - End - #44
    Ettin in the Playground

"Right, since the trip is going to be short we should be able to have decent food the whole way there and back. I may need to stop elsewhere for a couple of other things," Damis replies deliberately not.

"Before I forget, does everyone know their blood type?"
    Spoiler
    Show

15. - Top - End - #45
    Titan in the Playground

Yusef Kander

Yusef shook the offered hand from Salaame and pushed a signed contract over over the table to the group, sealing the deal of the Job.
    "As long as you stay on schedule and don't deviate, you shouldn't have problems with pirates." Yusef said with a knowing half-smirk. it was clear he had some contacts that could help report on pirate migration patterns and where to avoid and when to do so.

to Damis' words, Yusef just nodded in affirmation once.

Along with the contract, there was a basic singleformat Tabula with further details about the old Dreadnought, and with that, Yusef no longer showed any direct interest in the group, allowing them to leave as they wished.

---------------------------

Spoiler: Questions and Shopping
    Show

Alright, finally able to update the IC! In terms of food, provisioning, etc. etc. You really only need to pay for your month's living expenses.
    Coriolis is an Advanced Enviroment, but travelling via ship most of that month it'd be downgraded to an Ordinary Enviroment. It's 500 Birr to live spartanly, that means no additional goodies, new clothes, snacks, etc. etc. It's 1.000 birr if you want a more standard style of living, or you can pay 2.500 for a month of luxurious living.

You never negotiated food and livining expenses, so that's something you'd need to handle on your own after all. However, I will allow a small retcon chance if any of you feel up to trying to get Yusef to also deal with the living expenses for that month.

You can all also try and find a sponsor willing to pay out in exchange for, well, think commercialization purposes, like owning rights to the story of the mission post-completion. Or a totally 3rd way could be done that I haven't thought of. But right now, it's up to allow if you how you'd like to deal with living expenses.

Please keep any and all replies about this to the OOC.

Last edited by Hemnon; 2019-08-26 at 03:45 AM.
    Awesome avatars:
    Spoiler
    Show

16. - Top - End - #46
    Orc in the Playground

MindFlayer

Salaame shakes Yusef's hand, firmly. Signs the contract, and gives everyone a chance to sign. Ramad is off on the ship however, or somewhere else, he must have gotten really upset about words spoken earlier. Or, maybe he ran out on his social battery. I still stand by what I said, even if I could have sugar coated the words a bit better. But, he's a grown man, he should be able to handle it, it's not like he lived a pampered existence.

Salaame walked out of the room, last. Trying to decide what all needed to be done before leaving; and, pondering how they were going to pay for all of this food, and medicine, and ****.

[To Damis] ++My Blood Type is B-, I'm assuming you're going to pick up some blood bags. That, you're not just sizing us all up for some organ legging.++

[To Fahim, And Ramad] ++Run flight checks, check supplies, etc. You should know the drill, let's be ready to leave when we get back. Contact us if you decide you need something that hasn't been mentioned, or you notice something.++

"We need to contact Miss Marhoun, and, I believe I have another way to pay for supplies."

Spoiler: Spoiler
    Show
    Let me know if I'm wrong on Ramad, and I'll edit. Last thing I remember, they mentioned going to the ship in their post. Then we didn't hear anything after that, so I'm assuming that they are, in fact, still there.

Last edited by SaturnSolaris; 2019-09-15 at 07:46 AM.
    Shall dry and die in,
    Lost Carcosa.

17. - Top - End - #47
    Ettin in the Playground

Damis

I don't know who you normally talk to but this is more of an in-case. Besides, no proper refrigeration, so knowing blood types is more of a... donor match. Don't worry, I'm used to working in such situations."

Damis was about to head towards the shops before the last line is said.

"I didn't hear anything about an advance, I think we're on our own for the first go."
    Spoiler
    Show

18. - Top - End - #48
    Orc in the Playground

MindFlayer

Salaame looks at Damis, inquisitively,before continuing. We could probably smuggle some medical supplies from the wreck, hell, maybe even a body. Some other medical curiosities, we won't get as much, but it'll be enough. Old ship like that, should have something. Sell it off to the Samaritans, bam, we make up for money lost on supplies.

Salaame makes a mental note, of what Damis is saying.
    "We don't have proper refrigeration on the ship? We'll have to fix that: Is there anything else you're aware of? I'll start making a list. Sometimes it's hard to find proper donor materials, when you're caught unprepared. Unless, someone on the crew happens to be a universal donor. I know this much."

[pause]

"No, there's no advance. I think I just came up with a way, to wrench some more cash out of this mission. We might be able to negotiate for some funds upfront; or, at the very least we'll break even. Maybe, even gain some funds."
    Last edited by SaturnSolaris; 2019-09-21 at 10:51 AM.
    Shall dry and die in,
    Lost Carcosa.

19. - Top - End - #49
    Titan in the Playground

On Coriolis Space Station

While everyone are doing their thing, a PA-notice rings out, even for those on the ship, they'd get a broadcast-comm pinging in.
    "*bing-ding-duuuuuum* This is a Public Service Announcement, the upper foodcourts are now having a sale on group reservations for this afternoon and evening. 30% off for today. *bing-ding-buuuuuum*" and then the announcement ended.

(Just a post to keep things active until the living-expenses deal can be finished)
    Awesome avatars:
    Spoiler
    Show

20. - Top - End - #50
    Orc in the Playground

MindFlayer

Salaame

Salaame listens to the announcement, coming in through the PA. He perks up a bit: I bet everyone would enjoy getting some food in their stomachs, and that isn't a bad deal. It would also be nice to get away from the stuck up meetings we've been having all day. "You know, that's not a bad deal Damis. I'm going to contact an old friend, I might be able to work out a deal to pay for our living expenses." Salaame drifts off into thought for a moment. "Do we have a list of all of the **** that we need. So, we don't forget anything."

[To Sigliah]++"Hey, how busy are you? I think I might have an offer you'd be interested in."++
    Last edited by SaturnSolaris; 2019-10-28 at 11:16 PM.
    Shall dry and die in,
    Lost Carcosa.

21. - Top - End - #51
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by SaturnSolaris View Post
    Salaame

Salaame listens to the announcement, coming in through the PA. He perks up a bit: I bet everyone would enjoy getting some food in their stomachs, and that isn't a bad deal. It would also be nice to get away from the stuck up meetings we've been having all day. "You know, that's not a bad deal Damis. I'm going to contact an old friend, I might be able to work out a deal to pay for our living expenses." Salaame drifts off into thought for a moment. "Do we have a list of all of the **** that we need. So, we don't forget anything."

[To Sigliah]++"Hey, how busy are you? I think I might have an offer you'd be interested in."
    Sigliah

"++Why hi there Salaame! Well not too busy... and depending on that offer, I maybe have more than enough time for you today~ When can you be here?" Sigliah replied over the comms to Salaame, light on humor and other such trivialities due to the mention of a possible offer on the line.
    Awesome avatars:
    Spoiler
    Show

22. - Top - End - #52
    Orc in the Playground

MindFlayer

Salaame

++"It might take a moment, but I'll head there next. But, where is there? You're office? The lab? Class?"++

Salaame gives a hearty chuckle to that last one, and motions for Damis to follow. Those are all in the same general area of the station, so the specifics don't matter till they get there.
    Last edited by SaturnSolaris; 2019-11-05 at 10:53 PM.
    Shall dry and die in,
    Lost Carcosa.

23. - Top - End - #53
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by SaturnSolaris View Post
    Salaame

++"It might take a moment, but I'll head there next. But, where is there? You're office? The lab? Class?"++

Salaame gives a hearty chuckle to that last one, and motions for Damis to follow. Those are all in the same general area of the station, so the specifics don't matter till they get there.
    Sigliah

++"Main Lab, as always. I've been experimenting w-... nevermind anyways, I'm at the Lab, just tell the desk Clerk to buzz you in. He can call me if he needs my verbal authorization."++ Sigliah replied, while in the background there were a sudden dull-sounding 'boom'. as if some sort of chemical mix had just cracked a testvial and semi-violently gone 'poof' from the interaction.
    Awesome avatars:
    Spoiler
    Show

24. - Top - End - #54
    Orc in the Playground

MindFlayer

Transitional Post

Damis and Salaame, moved through the crowds as they ebbed and flowed in the station. The trip from the Archaeological to the University district was mostly by cable car with a bit of walking that kept the blood pumping comfortably in their systems. The technology and architecture was a clear testament to the engineers, builders and culture that surrounded them. The sponsors and factions whom had made the maze of universities possible had little stake in the University of Icons, a decaying corpse with a still beating heart. Originally a project by the church of the same name, it had a limited scope that would have untimely failed had some of the other Firstcome factions not pitched in and sponsored them. Now, however the heart which kept them relevant was the Samaritans, with their biological science and medical programs. Renowned for the skill of their students, the Samaritans now all but owned the entire university. It was here that the protagonists found themselves, traveling to the lab of Salaame's contact, and long time acquaintance.
    Shall dry and die in,
    Lost Carcosa.

25. - Top - End - #55
    Titan in the Playground

Sigliah's Lab

As Salaame and Damis moved towards the lab at the university, access to it had of course been gained without any issue with the front door guard just buzzing them in at the mention of Sigliah's name.
    She was currenly busy inside the slightly-messy looking lab, eyeing through a microscope with some sort of sample-of-sorts underneath the lense.
    Awesome avatars:
    Spoiler
    Show

26. - Top - End - #56
    Orc in the Playground

MindFlayer

Salaame

Salaame takes a, somewhat, irked visage as he walks through the threshold. She had all this time to prepare for us, and yet she's still deep in work? That sounds about right. "What is it, you're working on there?!" Salaame says, with a certain abruptness to startle her out of her work. As, he walks further into the room, then begins to look for a chair, stool, or something to sit on. "I'm sure it's very interesting."
    Last edited by SaturnSolaris; 2019-11-05 at 10:52 PM.
    Shall dry and die in,
    Lost Carcosa.

27. - Top - End - #57
    Titan in the Playground

Sigliah

Sigliah looked up from the microscope at Salaame and smiled. "Hi Salaame.... Sorry about all this... I got caught up in work right after the comms-chat. It's just some bioscience samples to be prepared for some of the university students for next week. Anyways, you mentioned you had some sort of deal or offer in mind, yes?" She said, fixing the glasses on her nose a little while talking.
    Last edited by Hemnon; 2019-11-07 at 11:25 AM.
    Awesome avatars:
    Spoiler
    Show

28. - Top - End - #58
    Orc in the Playground

MindFlayer

Salaame

"Yes, right to the matter at hand. I can't release too many details, as, I'm under a non-disclosure agreement at the moment." Salaame stops for a moment to gauge her reaction, as this obviously limits the details he will be able to give. Just as well, details can make or break interest on an offer like this, and makes this a bit of a gamble. "But, we're doing a salvaging operation, on the edge of civilized space. I have a strong feeling we may, likely, come along some bodies in stasis, old bodies, but, hopefully in good condition. That we can snag and offer to you, as they have nothing to do with the job. I figured you may be interested." Man, that would be a lot more interesting if I could describe more about the ship. When It's From! Where It's Been!
    Last edited by SaturnSolaris; 2019-11-11 at 08:58 PM.
    Shall dry and die in,
    Lost Carcosa.

29. - Top - End - #59
    Titan in the Playground

Sigliah

In response, Sigliah just raised an eyebrow. "Hmm... An NDA you say... seriously? well, depending on who you made it with, you can break it without issue... or you'll get a tech'd out assassin on your old soldier butt. Hmm, Old bodies you say. How old? We talking old crash spaceship here with colonists on it, or even older than such?" She asked Salaame with a quirked eyebrow and a finger rubbing againt her lower lip in thought.
    "And what specifically do you wish for me to do beyond graciously accepting cryopods with old, most likely dead but sterile-kept bodies? Research Team along, no... if so you'd just ask if I got anyone that wanted to go on a trip, does it perhaps have something to do with your new birr-loaned ship and, as you mentioned, the further edges of the Horizon?" She continued with thoughtful care.
    Awesome avatars:
    Spoiler
    Show

30. - Top - End - #60
    Orc in the Playground

MindFlayer

Salaame

Salaame scowls at the mention of breaking the NDA. "I would rather keep it professional, and, not provide too much information. Or keep it very vague, at the very least, until we finish the job. At which point, I'd be happy to provide you with any information important to your job. Hell, if it was just my own welfare at stake. I might be more willing to break it, but I have a crew to think of."

"This may be older than you're thinking, by a bit. But . . . outside of, possibly, some interesting genetic finds. These bodies have been through some odd phenomena. The kind of phenomena, that to my knowledge; we've gotten little, if any empirical data from. Whether that be from survivors, bodies, or objects."

"We have someone on board that should have, the know how, to maintain any specimens we may run into." Salaame glances at Damis as he says this, before continuing. "What I'm asking for, in return is a month of living expenses, 1000 Birr per person. Which, while I know this is a bit of a gamble on your part, I feel is apropos."
    Last edited by SaturnSolaris; 2019-11-12 at 02:14 PM.
    Shall dry and die in,
    Lost Carcosa.