The Order of the Stick: Utterly Dwarfed
The Order of the Stick: Utterly Dwarfed - Coming in December and available for pre-order now
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
  1. - Top - End - #31
    Orc in the Playground

AssassinGuy

Default Re: A fresh take on Online Roleplaying Game (free)

Been playing this for about a couple hour now and I have some thoughts.

It would be nice if when I clicked a crafting recipe if the game would automatically equip a suitable tool from my inventory if one is available. Just so that players don't have to suffer allot of extra clicks what with the laggy interface.

I suspect that it's night on tutorial island because the game has a day/night cycle based on real time. Anyway... if night is going to give a difficulty debuff to travel, and the tutorial requires that the player travel a bunch then perhaps hard coding tutorial island to always be day would have been a good idea. The difficulty to travel into the hex to hunt rabbits is currently 30% success or something... So i guess I just won't get around to hunting rabbits and crafting clothes.

Relatedly. This means that evidently I failed to travel on a dirt road and now my character has a bruise... for 5 days. I would be angry at this time scale but I can't for the life of me tell what +5 pain means mechanically.

Also. Why does it take a half hour to travel a single hex? Is that really necessary? Also if I'm reading this interface right it takes the same amount of time to travel two hexes as it does to travel one.

Edit: It does not take the same amount of time to travel multiple hexes. It only looks like it. If you initiate travel to a non-adjacent hex the timer is the time to move one space along your path. The other moves along the path automatically begin at the end of the timer. The tutorial objective to explore the island takes a minimum of 4 hexes of travel. 5 if you stay on the path. A tutorial shouldn't take the entirety of a person's available gaming time in a day to finish.
    Last edited by DeadMech; 2019-06-04 at 04:06 AM.
    Death from above
    And below
    And all sides

2. - Top - End - #32
    Pixie in the Playground

GreenSorcererElf

Quote Originally Posted by tigerusthegreat View Post
    Chrome: 74.0.3729.157
    Android 8.0.0 SM-G930P Build/R16NW

During the tutorial, the button for continue/complete quest doesn't work. It is clickable, but doesn't do anything.

To specify, the very first mission where you wait to talk to the cloaked figure, didn't pop up until I reloaded the page. Once I did that it seems to be working.

Other Feedback: Default quantity on eating/using to the minimum (1). I almost ate all my bread in one click.
    Thanks a lot for providing the exact version number, I'll be sure to give it a test.

And regarding the dialog window not opening - I think I can make that part a little bit more responsive, thanks for bringing that up!

Finally regarding food - there's really no problem eating all of the food. Your character won't eat once they are full and they getting hungry on a constant rate, regardless of how full they are. Selecting to eat 20 breads will be fine and I made sure that it doesn't result in any food being wasted :)

Quote Originally Posted by DeadMech View Post
    Been playing this for about a couple hour now and I have some thoughts.

It would be nice if when I clicked a crafting recipe if the game would automatically equip a suitable tool from my inventory if one is available. Just so that players don't have to suffer allot of extra clicks what with the laggy interface.

I suspect that it's night on tutorial island because the game has a day/night cycle based on real time. Anyway... if night is going to give a difficulty debuff to travel, and the tutorial requires that the player travel a bunch then perhaps hard coding tutorial island to always be day would have been a good idea. The difficulty to travel into the hex to hunt rabbits is currently 30% success or something... So i guess I just won't get around to hunting rabbits and crafting clothes.

Relatedly. This means that evidently I failed to travel on a dirt road and now my character has a bruise... for 5 days. I would be angry at this time scale but I can't for the life of me tell what +5 pain means mechanically.

Also. Why does it take a half hour to travel a single hex? Is that really necessary? Also if I'm reading this interface right it takes the same amount of time to travel two hexes as it does to travel one.
    Hello DeadMech, thanks for trying the game and joining us on Discord!

With the recipes and gathering resources - there is a convenience feature available later in the game (available after you finish tutorial), that allows you to very quickly swap tools. That said I've been asked about it a few times and while I initially hid it to avoid overloading users, that's one of the things that would be very welcome from the start - I'll make a change to enable that for the tutorial :)

Can you tell me a bit more about the device you use to play the game? I know the performance is not exactly stellar, but to hear you describe it as laggy I'm hoping there is something I can do, even if only for a specific device.

That's actually a very good suggestion on the tutorial island being day all the time, but I'm not sure how well I can fit that with the world building. I'll definitely give it some thought!

The bruise and pain - your character has pain thresholds and they will bear some pain without any negative effect. Once you go over those thresholds - they will be affected by a negative effect that will be reducing their mood (which in turn affects their action speed).

As for the travelling - where your character is in the world has a very strategic meaning - in terms of what dangers they might face, what resources are available nearby, etc. The travelling takes a long while to give meaning and consequence to the choice of location. In turn - a single place can offer multiple resources, host multiple structures and allow you to interact with all of that without journeys between them. All of this is built so that game can work in a tamagotchi-like fashion, where you can issue a command every 1-3 hours and actually make stready progress throughout the game. At least that is the goal I have in mind when I'm designing this game :)

3. - Top - End - #33
    Ogre in the Playground

Are there people left? Im on rook island and everyone I can see is just starving to death on some stage of malnourishment.

4. - Top - End - #34
    Pixie in the Playground

GreenSorcererElf

Hello LansXero!

Yes, there are a number of very active players, by far most of which already left Rook Island.

It's true that Rook may feel a bit depressing - as some people try the game and abandon it for one reason or another, but we have quite an active community on Discord, so why not stop by and say hello! I'm sure folks there will be happy to help you out with the tutorial with advice and welcome you once you move on to mainland. :)
    Last edited by Ethnar; 2019-06-07 at 04:33 AM.

5. - Top - End - #35
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by LansXero View Post
    Are there people left? Im on rook island and everyone I can see is just starving to death on some stage of malnourishment.
    Maybe hide people on the tutorial who have been away for a couple hours and arent doing anything?
    The Chaotic Evil Dungeon Master

Current Games:
    The Quarantine of Litala IC OOC

6. - Top - End - #36
    Pixie in the Playground

GreenSorcererElf

Quote Originally Posted by tigerusthegreat View Post
    Maybe hide people on the tutorial who have been away for a couple hours and arent doing anything?
    It's a sounds idea to a problem that I can't deny. But there are some complications that I can see by doing this.

In any case - once they perish, they'll be gone completely shortly after. All that'll be left is the things they built, collected or made..

7. - Top - End - #37
    Ogre in the Playground

Been playing for a while now, got to say its more fun than I initially gave it credit for. Sure, it goes slooow but the community is super helpful (Discord is almost mandatory) and so much of the early grind can be sped through.

Also, the dungeon system is quite unique; too bad the one dungeon we know of is frozen. Who knew seasons would be a thing?

8. - Top - End - #38
    Pixie in the Playground

GreenSorcererElf

When I initially posted this thread, I still wasn't certain if this idea can work, if players will find this engaging and fun. It's been three months and while I am aware that this game is far from perfect - I believe it's proven that there is potential in this kind of game & storytelling.

The community is still quite small (we have around ~10 active players), most of them have been around for the better part of these last three months. They've been through quite a lot already
    - orcish raids, including one where a player town was briefly overran
    - a severe winter that had everyone huddling together in towns for warmth, with one character who ventured into a dungeon very nearly dying from hypothermia
    - exploring and finding strange greyskin creatures and elves
    - discovering a variety of cooking recipes, clothing crafts, drugs and other items and structures
    - going through a mildly annoying marsh fever that ended up spreading all across our realm
    - discovering the existence of mysterious "vampires", which turned out to be other players infected with a strange disease
    And there's still much more to come and discover!

Throughout this time I continued to support and expand the game, adding new items, recipes, dungeons and events. I had a lot of very useful feedback & ideas, many of which were incorporated into the game! It really can't be overstated how crucial player feedback was in getting the game where it is right now. :)

Not too long ago I've also made changes that drastically improve the server responsiveness and performance, which would allow more players to join the game. As such we're looking for more players to join the game!

If you've been on the fence before, why not give it a try? The very friendly community will be there to help you out with your first steps so you can become a part of this world. :)

9. - Top - End - #39
    Pixie in the Playground

RogueGuy

Long time lurker of the forums, but I finally made an account to post on this topic.

I've been playing this game for a couple of days now and I've gotta say I'm enjoying it greatly. It starts out pretty slowly on Rook Island, but it gets better. The final part of it is resetting your character; but don't get discouraged. Everything you learn in the beginning transfers over and you can continue on with the knowledge gained. Until you get your bearings in the main world it can be confusing, but the community on discord is extremely knowledgeable and helpful.

I've only been in the main world a couple of days and I'm already setting up a home in one of the game's several player run towns, and even as newbies my roommate and I are able to contribute. We've already got plans to explore the untamed wilds far from player civilization to discover what else there is to find - not everything is local! Some other players have brought back some interesting things from the depths beneath the mountains. I can't wait to see what else there is.

My biggest opinion about this is that Discord will improve your experience a thousand fold! I personally enjoy a game best when there's a community i can participate with, and while this one is small it is no doubt inclusive. I'm Jack in the discord if you ever need some help when you're starting out