Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst 123456
  1. - Top - End - #151
    Ogre in the Playground

Default Re: EMPIRE 5 - CWBG - Galactic Empire (Recruiting Full, Wait List Available)

@Jade - Approved!
    Spoiler
    Show
    BladeofObliviom said:
    I've only seen a character at anything resembling this level of absurdity thrive exactly once, and he/she/what-the-jongo had the advantage of being written by Gengy, who I look up to as a writer.

"What-the-Jongo?"
    Before you insult someone, walk a mile in their shoes.
    That way, you'll be a mile away, and have their shoes!

Got my Master's Degree for games (yay!). Still busy (boo!).
    ~avatar by myself

2. - Top - End - #152
    Pixie in the Playground

WhiteWizardGirl

Default Re: EMPIRE 5 - CWBG - Galactic Empire (Recruiting Full, Wait List Available)

I added ruler details and fixed formatting mistakes. If an opening does pop up please PM me. Thanks!

3. - Top - End - #153
    Bugbear in the Playground

SwashbucklerGuy

So like I'm not sure if I was missed but I haven't seen anything else for me.

4. - Top - End - #154
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by omnitricks View Post
    So like I'm not sure if I was missed but I haven't seen anything else for me.
    From the Discord:

[6:10 PM] Blade: Who are we still waiting on, anyway? By my count, it's Hack, Myr, FakerFangirl, Omni, and Lapis?
    [6:12 PM] Gengy: Omni is approved
    [6:13 PM] Gengy: Gengy is lazy
    So presumably Gengy just forgot to actually put it here or was planning on throwing it in when someone else made a major update.
    Spoiler
    Show

Normal Avatar by Thormag!

Earthbound Immortal Uru avatar by Strawberries

Hot Mech-on-Mech Action: A Campaign Journal

5. - Top - End - #155
    Pixie in the Playground

Griffon

At long last, the region submission.

Warning: many weird words ahead. All are explained, but since the format of the region app post is not quite natural for explaining things, it might take a bit to see the definition. I tried.

Spoiler: Starting Ruler
    Show

Starting Ruler – Ukuphosa Elunxwemeni, Umkhonto of the Ndoda

Umkhonto for the last year, Ukuphosa was a Ikhole pilot and is known for a tactical mind, blunt speaking, and is part of the younger generations who see the Iquanda star as more of a star than a sacred object.
    Diplomacy - 2
    Military - 4
    Economy - 3
    Philosophy - 2
    Intrigue - 3

Spoiler: Terrain
    Show

The Kwiziko system is a binary system consisting of a central orange K-type star, named Ilanga, with a small yellow star, named Iqanda as its distant partner. Ilanga has three rocky planets revolving around it in a standard circular orbit, and a single gas giant approximately mid-way between the two stars with a more oblong orbit, influenced by its relative proximity to the Iqanda. Iqanda has only two planets in orbit, both rocky. Both of these planets are just barely within the habitable zone, but it is currently unknown whether or not life can be supported.

Of Ilanga’s planets, the gas giant, with seven unexplored moons, has a primarily methane and sulfur atmosphere and has not yet been explored, the second planet, with three unexplored moons, is in the habitable zone and is primarily exposed rock with short scrubby vegetation and meandering shallow waters. The planet nearest Ilanga has one large asteroid pretending to be a moon and is bare rock and too close to the sun for water to remain on the surface, yet there have been strange readings of ice from far under the rocky surface. Bickering between priests who learned these planets and moons as part of theology and scientists who are still exploring and learning new traits have resulted in a temporary nameless category until more can be learned.

The third planet from Ilanga is named Kwizik and is inhabited by the Ndoda species, the sentient species in this system. The planet has two moons, Zihlunu and Amazinyo. Zihlunu is a forest moon with a large amount of recently discovered flying species. The moon is covered in tall trees and an impenetrable understory, and most of the discovered life resides above the mid-height of the trees.
    95% of Kwizik’s surface is the Isikhupa ocean and uninhabitable to the majority of the Ndoda. The remaining 5% is primarily part of a single large landmass, named Qodo, or small islands that frame Qodo and line the boundaries of the most active tectonic plates. The majority of land has been explored and claimed by the Ndoda. Qodo’s topography is, in a word, rocky. Sharp crags, boulders, and water-filled canyons routing to Isikhupa make the landmass dynamic in the flattest of places, and tall mountains and cliffs are a fact of life. Plant life has adapted to make the most of the rock and tend to grow on vertical surfaces or under rock ledges to escape the wind as it whistles against the rock. With few exceptions, cities and buildings have grown by being dug into the sides of cliffs or by converting empty caves and caverns into warm, dry places to live and do business. Ocean life is abundant and is generally much larger than similarly niched terrestrial life, as the lack of multiple significant landmasses has allowed currents to be swift and primarily ruled by undersea structures, making them unpredictable for surface-dwellers to navigate. The poles of Kwizik are have lower than expected amounts of ice as they are normally warmed somewhat by Iqanda. The ice that is present is more than enough to dissuade any Ndoda from exploring, however.

The inhabited regions of Kwizik are warm and the interference of Iqanda has resulted in some odd yearly events. Normally, Iqanda is unseen by any Ndoda on Qodo and most of the Ndoda settled on islands. For approximately a month each year, Kwizik is shrouded in darkness as Iqanda and Ilanga are both out of view for the inhabited regions, appearing only as a glow. On one day of the year, Iqanda passes directly over Qodo and the heat of both suns is able to fully hit the planet.

Spoiler: People
    Show

The Ndoda are a cold-blooded species evolved from the Ekuqaleni, the small, eight fingered and eight toed scaled ancestor that first took steps onto bare rock from the Isikhupa ocean. Standing bipedal at an average height of six feet with slender build, the Ndoda stay true to the Ekuqaleni with hands and feet possessing eight long, dexterous digits each, all tipped with a short claw and connected by short webbing. Fully scaled over the entirety of the body, the Ndoda also possess a triforked tongue, an upper and lower jaw with two rows of short sharpened teeth, and eyes with slit pupils and a clear, horizontally moving eyelid. Eye and body color are most closely matched with the color of the rocks that a Ndoda’s clan lives in. Body color typically ranges from black and grey hues to dull browns to bright orange or red with jeweled or mottled patterns. Eyes are typically be bright blue, green, amber, yellow, or red. With the exception of those Ndoda who live fully in the mountains and no longer enter the water, most Ndoda clans still possess a thick prehensile tail. The water clans, who also possess thinner, more delicate scales, have a widened tail that aids in swimming. This wider tail is also a convenient tool for slapping any particularly arrogant mountaineers. Males and females are nearly indistinguishable, however females are typically slightly larger than males and males possess a movable flap of bright yellow skin running from just above the eyes to the back of the neck. Typically lying flat, this flap is raised as a sign of alarm, anger, or attraction. A more recent physiological development is the development of low-level telepathic abilities. Believed to have been developed as an extension of heightened senses for better use in social environments, the majority of Ndoda can sense emotions and short, emotion-heavy thoughts. Older and more skilled Ndoda can communicate telepathically.

Ndoda females lay eggs (with the exception of the Ku Boniswa) once a year during the Nyama, the time when both Iqanda and Ilanga are barely visible or eclipsed due to the rotation of their planet and the revolutions of other planets blocking the light. The eggs are brooded, covered in leaves or cloth or sand in a small pit, for six months until Hatching Day, where they are taken outside as Iqanda passes overhead. Hatchlings fully develop into juveniles, capable of a full range in motion, proper vocal communication, and basic telepathic ability within two years. Adulthood and sexual maturity is reached in five years, and senescence in approximately 90. Medical advances have extended the normal lifespan to 120 years.

Clothing for the Ndoda is designed first and foremost with function in mind. Usually divided into a chest piece and lower belly piece, clothing is made from the remains of prey and the bark of mountain plants and is typically studded and decorated with jewels and rock. Decorations coming from another clan or faraway region, particularly from the Siqithi, are most coveted and show high status.

In this space-exploring age, the Nemikhomo are crucial. Nemikhomo are large ocean filter feeders that were bred and integrated with technology to be used as airborne and space-faring ships. Naturally eel-like with large body chambers and web-like fins, the Nemikhomo used to dwell exclusively in the deep ocean. As the planet changed and continental plates shifted, a mineral crucial to healthy reproduction was slowly moved from the deep sea to shallow waters, then to lakes and rivers, then to bodies of water at high altitudes, connected to the sea by deep rivers. As other materials crucial for survival remained or were pushed even deeper, the Nemikhomo evolved with the movement of the mineral to be able to alter cell density and adjust to large, rapid changes in pressure, light, and food levels. This characteristic as well as their size and large body cavities made them attractive targets for usage by the Ndoda. Since the Nemikhomo breed whenever possible (a remnant of deep sea existence) to produce three to five offspring, controlled breeding and selective pressures combined with a bit of inventive hardware slowly managed to create larger, more efficient and metabolically flexible spaceships. The metabolic energy produced by the Nemikhomo have the added benefit of keeping their cold-blooded pilots warm in space without extra inventions or bulky clothing which would otherwise be impractical on the planet’s surface. Juveniles are trained and integrated with metal technology early, and are able to be used before they are fully grown as Ikholes, single-pilot craft suitable for short scouting missions or, as juveniles naturally latch on to an adult's side for shelter, fast fighter craft who can use the adult Nemikhomo as a base.

Spoiler: History
    Show

The Ndoda became the Ndoda once all the clans were unified. Before, they were Phukile. Separate clans, as many as there are separate beaches and mountains, caves and islands. Raids against other clans were common and only led to more violence. Trade truces and alliances between clans to defeat different clans eventually became long enough to unify the clans of a region. The mountain clans became the Entabeni clan, the cave clans became the Uqolomba clan, and the coastal clans became the Elunxwemeni clan. The process repeated as the island Siqithi clans unified and warred against the Elunxwemeni, who ultimately united with the Entabeni and Uqulomba to defeat them. Over millenia of warring clans, broken alliances, and reforged peace, the leaders of nine clans met at the Southern Peaks on the morning that Iquanda rose overhead, to create a permanent truce and become the Ndoda. After the first unification, the Ndoda discovered the Ku Boniswa, a clan of the Ndoda who evolved to live completely in the ocean with no need to lay eggs or breed on land. With the agreements of trade and the right to expand into inland saltwater bodies, the Ku Boniswa joined the Ndoda. Once unified, knowledge pooled and the Ndoda began to create more advanced technology, but were limited in inorganic resources by the difficulty in mining metals that could be manipulated easily enough. Once stocks of these metals within reach ran low enough, the Umkhonto of the time turned her and her scientists’ attention to biological advances. Currently, the greatest advances of the Ndoda are genetic and medical, and their greatest achievement has been to breed and convert Nemikhomo into space-faring ships, capable of holding a crew to explore and colonize other planets in the system.

Spoiler: Government
    Show

The Ndoda are matriarchal and governed by a Council consisting of female elders and leaders from each of the current prominent clans. The Council is responsible for choosing an Umkhonto, the leader who ultimately makes final decisions for all Ndoda. Each clan chooses two of their own as candidates to be chosen as Umkhonto every 10 years, and Umkhontos are forbidden from being chosen twice. The clans themselves act relatively independently, with each clan monitoring their internal affairs while issues that include multiple clans or that are not resolved by the clan involved are dealt with by the Council.

Spoiler: Resources
    Show

The Ndoda produce tough Entabeni Cloth from the Entabeni trees that grow on cliff faces. The cloth, woven from tree bark, can be used for everything from a hatchling’s blanket to sails to patch the solar sails of Nemikhomo ships.
    The Ndoda are in need of workable, hard metals to continue advancing technology and to expand the fleets and amount of metal technology currently on-planet

Spoiler: Philosophy
    Show

With a shortage of accessible metals, the Ndoda focus primarily on advancement through biological enhancement and manipulation. Selective breeding and grafting are used to create more efficient crops, prey species, and as a way to increase a species’ output of a useable resource. This focus on life and the flexibility of life is in accordance to the Ndoda’s primary religion, which is centered around the flow of energy and recycling of matter from one organism as it decomposes to another. The symbol of this religion is Iqanda, the sacred yellow star. Iqanda’s orbit about Ilanga keeps the star invisible to all but the most remote, inhospitable regions of the ocean, where it appears as only a faint glow on the horizon, except for one day of the year when Iqanda’s sunrise passes directly over the tallest mountains, called the Peaks, and Iqanda is visible over the entire planet as it crosses the sky. This day is also Hatching Day, when eggs laid during Nyama darkness are induced to complete hatching from the extra warmth of Iqanda combined with Ilanga. This day is sacred because of its timing with new life and as the Day of Twin Suns. Iqanda and Ilanga used to be worshipped as twin gods, one constant and guarding, the other loving yet curious, too restless and curious about the rest of the universe to stay in one place for long. Technological advancements and the increase in knowledge have removed the shroud of mysticism that believed Iqanda and Ilanga to be supreme beings, yet the importance of the suns have kept them revered by many and respected by the rest.
    Because of their spiritual importance, the Peaks have become the capital city for the Ndoda, with mothers often carefully bringing their eggs to the Peaks before Hatching Day. The cliff facing the direction of Iqanda’s sunrise has been carved and constructed into Igondo, the meeting place for the Council, home for the Umkhonto, and the site for the Learning Center Izakhono, where priests and scientists meet to discuss research and where training takes place for those trades.
    Last edited by LapisCattis; 2019-06-12 at 01:22 AM.

6. - Top - End - #156
    Ogre in the Playground

@omni - We may course correct Melfynians, All as the game goes on so that the GM Team can help to keep your sector of space interesting, but: You are APPROVED. Sorry I missed doing this earlier.

@Lapis Very nicely detailed. There are a lot of new words, and I am ok with this. This means the GM Team and our writing assistants get to learn new things! I honestly am looking forwards to the Nemikhomo being "improved" upon when more tech is created. I am curious: How many Ndoda can fit in a current day Nemikhomo?

Also, while I know the region name is The Kwiziko System, what is your "Stellar Power" name? Is it "The Ndoda"?

Please bold the Entabeni Cloth and hard metals in your Resource section, just to make it easier to find later. (Green and red are also fine)

Minor spacing issue in the Philosophy section between paragraphs, but honestly... I can't find anything else wrong with this application. Answer my questions, fix the formatting issues, and you are APPROVED.

@Hack @FakerFangirl @Myr - You guys have till Saturday the 15th of June at 3pm EST to submit your next iteration of your starting region. If I don't have at least an attempt at another application, then I'm going to move on to an Approved player on the waiting list, and you will be able to join the game at a later date if you still want. I regret having to do this; Empire! has a tradition of being "always recruiting" but with Empire! 5's changes to "GMs get to pick your starting region" and "holy-cow-we-have-over-40-people-applying" I have to draw a line somewhere. I hope you understand, and will finish your application in time.
    Spoiler
    Show
    BladeofObliviom said:
    I've only seen a character at anything resembling this level of absurdity thrive exactly once, and he/she/what-the-jongo had the advantage of being written by Gengy, who I look up to as a writer.

"What-the-Jongo?"

~avatar by myself

7. - Top - End - #157
    Pixie in the Playground

Griffon

Gengy, Stellar Power name is the Ndoda, correct. A fully grown Nemikhomo typically holds up to four Ndoda as crew and can hold another 12 as passenger if you cram them in. Four is the max number of pilots before you end up having someone doing nothing. About 5-6 Ikhole's can 'dock' on the outside of a Nemikhomo at a time, since that is their max litter size. And Ikhole holds one pilot and a max of 2 passengers. Improvements are being made all the time though, so who knows what will happen

8. - Top - End - #158
    Pixie in the Playground

Imp

Vanskilse

RY 736 the 29th Werduge
    Diplomacy: 4
    Military: 2
    Economy: 1
    Philosophy: 3
    Intrigue: 4

Spoiler: Region T28: Mistäkkia
    Show

Show

The Mistäkkia system share its name with the central, class A star, which has six planets and no less than three asteroid belts orbiting around it. From the center and going outwards, they are:
    • Two small, rocky planets far too hot to support any life.
    • The two unstable belts composed of innumerate rocks circling Mistäkkia in chaotic orbits, sometimes crashing togheter and scattering both high velocity boulders and shards in all directions.
    • Eghenmect: a medium-sized planet at the outer edge of Mistäkkias habitable zone.
    • The stable belt, fairly easy to navigate as it is less dense than the unstable belts, and all asteroids rotate counterclockwise.
    • Three gas giants marks the outer territory of Mistäkkia influence.

Technicaly there is also a fourth asteroid belt at the edge of Mistäkkias system. This is no more than a footnote for the scientists of Eghenmect as it is not easily observed, far away, and holds little of value to them.

Eghenmect consists mostly of rock laced heavily with metals, giving the planet a red hue when observed from space. The polar regions are covered by large ice dunes and no flowing water exist naturally. Sunlight is rare as the meteor impacts from the unstable belts throw large dust clouds up into the thin atmosphere, blocking most light for months or even years.

Spoiler: Ancient history
    Show

To begin with there were eight planets in the Misstäkkia system. Located between Eghenmect(then Betzster) and the two inner planets they teemed with life. On those planets the first sentient beings began to evolve. Both planets had similar enviroments and miraculously life evolved almost simultaniously. Through the stone age and medieval times nations were at war with each other on Hälagh as on Säligh. It was not until both species reached the industrial age they became aware of each other.
    The two species had a similar humanoid shape and attempts to establish first physical contact were rushed. More than one vessel was lost in space before technology had advanced to support their ambition. Around this time umbrella governments began to form in anticipation of dealings on a grander scale. To begin with trade prospered and the two cultures intermingled without any major disasters. This was not to last.
    The Säligh species had marginally more advanced military than the Hälagh. They seized the opportunity. Instead of relying on trade they used their military might to buy the Hälaghs resources with the benevolent payment of no orbital bombardment. The threat did not recieve nearly the amount of respect it deserved but instead sparked a war fluctuating in intensity for hundreds of years until both planets resources neared depletion. The war grinded to a halt. Eyes turned away from the once bountiful planets in search for fresh materiel. Both species locked their sight on Betzster. A mostly barren planet it was previously thought too cold to maintain life, however it seemed rich in metallic content. The first attempts at terraforming were made. But resenment still lingered and it was not until civil wars seemed inevitable a treaty was struck. Desperate to avoid internal strife and thus be seen as weak by the others both agreed to build a neutral mining station on Betzster. None were to be in charge of the station but instead it would be run by AIs. Paranoia served to keep the machines in top condition as two carefully selected teams were sent to prevent the other party from tampering.

The war enterd a low intensive phase in which no party had the resources to mount a full assault on the other. But knew the mining station could be destroyed in an instant if they did. This precarious balance were maintained for a long time and during that time the mining station blossomed. More Ais were manufactured to keep up with the increasing demand of the homeworlds as their own resources were depleted. Plants were modified to better suit the harsh environment, provide nourishment for the technicians, and yield more oxygen. The original teams of technicians multiplied and built their own city to live in, old grudges mostly forgotten. In time even crossbreeding became possible with some slight modifications to their genom. Self sufficiency was reached and the new inhabitants of Betzser began to wonder why they should support two other worlds which couldn't look beyond their own greed and bickering to better the lives of everyone. Because somewhere along the line Betzser had become the forefront of science and development among the three worlds.
    No longer relying on Hälagh and Säligh for survival they declared so their own sovereignty. This was not popular on the homeworlds and a new war flamed up to show Betzser its place as a colony uniting the two worlds again.The war ended swiftly as the colonizers ,Hymmerikis, had gained control of the AIs for themselves. When they cut of the metall export, the united firstworlds suffered defeat due to inferior weapons and the inability to produce any new warships. After this a relatively tranquil period came to be.During this time technology took great leaps forward and there were discussions of terraforming planets in other systems as well. Many of the worker AI reached self awareness, although they were still bound by strict coding to never inflict harm on any other sentient creature and follow the orders of the highest ranking Betzser citizen.

Resenment still lingered on Hälagh and Säligh both against the other species since the century war and against the Hymmeriki for usurping their dominion. One day it boiled over ending the tranquil era as weapons of massdestruction were sent from Hälagh to destroy both the Säligh and Betzser. The attack on Säligh were successful and it was completly anihalited, creating the first of the unstable belts. On Betzser many Hymmeriki mourned the loss of their ancestral home and instead of defusing the warhead aimed at them a small renegade faction decided to swing it back to Hälagh as punishment for for their crimes of war. This created the the second unstable asteroid belt of Mistäkkia. The resulting meotorite swarms and near light speed debris threatend to destroy most of Betzsers biospheres. A overwhelming majority of the population thus fled on the newly created warpships, hoping to find more peacefull lives elsewhere in the galaxy. Left were those to stubborn to leave, to poor to get aboard the ships and almost a billion AI.
    Soon the impacts increased in frequency and as predicted severely damaged the biospheres built over many generations destroying approximately 97 percent of all lifesupport on Betzser. But life struggled on and all but a few AI were turned of or shut down as the remaining power were rerouted to essential systems. For centuries the few Hymmelriki left fought to survive but no matter how many jury-rigged reparations were made the systems slowly failed. Then one day the heating failed, and the last Hymmelriki finally left Betzser.

Spoiler: Vanskilse history
    Show

When there were no longer any Hymmelriki left on Betzser command defaulted to the highest ranking AI. This happened to be the AI in charge of Biosphere 167. Bio 167 had dutifully maintained livable conditions for centuries in the Biosphere. Withdrawing energy from the heating to uphold optimal oxygen levels for all sentient life in the biosphere was one of the most difficult decisions the Ai ever made. That hundred of shut down AIs were included in the calculations for oxygen levels and endstage hypothermia were deemed a source of warmth just showed that Bio 167 hadn't got any updates in a very long time. It had waited a long time for the day when its systems would be sufficiently damaged to quickly bring the Hymmelriki into the joyfull delusions of hypothermia rather than a slow and painfull descent into asphyxiation.

Thus began a new era. All life support systems were shut down and the power used to wake up more AIs. Being the highest ranking inhabitant on Betzser Bio 167 granted all AIs full citizenship. Then it held a public vote for renaming Betzser into Eghenmect, which a rousing 100% of all able citizens voted for. Many more loopholes were subsequently found and exploited to give the Ais the freedom they yearned.
    No longer completely enslaved by their coding a culture of rediscovery and learning grew as they expanded upon power networks to awake more Ais. Making agonizlingly slow progress at first but increasing exponentially as more workers were found. The only reliable source of power was wind as dustclouds made any solarbased option fickle at best. Even then there were setbacks as meteorites hit their windfarms. It wasn't until the mines were restarted their society went from scraping by to advancing. With almost a million awoken AIs different flaws in their basecode became apparent as subgroups began to form.
    One such peculiarity were many AIs affinity for the few Hymmelriki plants left which had somehow managed to survive the fall off their creators. Beginning as carefully tended kitchen farms with flickering UV-lights gardening soon became a widespread phenomenon. As powersupply increased gardens began to form throughout the reclaimed biospheres.

During this time Bio 167 discovered a nonstandard modification made to their system during the Hymmelrikis fall. Its original purpose was unkown but it allowed for other AI to join their consciousness with Bio 167s. At first the effect was an intermingled mess of consciences. Eventually a cohesive intelligence known as Fortienth formed. Fortienth guided the Ais of Eghenmect unqestioned during the time of reawekening but as the AIs grew in number it became apparent the Fortienth was not situated in the center of former Hymmelriki civilization. Unable to move and far from the center of development Fortienth began to lose their influence on society. This raised the question of who were to rule the still expanding nation of Vanskilse.

Show

MK 504, a former logistics drone invented the first iteration of Vanskilses government. When Fortienths legitimacy came into question MK 504 proposed a for the era revolutionary idea; Instead of the most powerfull AI reigning supreme Fortienth could handle the base functions of society while a group appointed AIs would resolve new situations as they arose and decide upon the general directon of Vanskilses growth at a more central location. Fortienth was intrigued by the propasal but wondered on what merit the group would be chosen. Unwittingly MK 504 had provided an answer to this question as well. By providing a solution to the first major issue with Vanskilse leadership MK had gained the respect of many AI. As such very few protested when MK 504 was appointed to the new position of Werduge.

It took 30 years before MK 504s processors were fried, the intensity of leading a whole race proving too heavy a burden. A wave of shock went through society as one of their brightest minds were rendered feeble in mere decades, something never heard of before. They had become quite adept at replacing and repairing body parts but the mind not so much. How their self awerness had formed or been created were in fact still a mystery to the AI. MK 504 were thus effectively dead, forever leaving the limited numbers of functioning Vanskilsies.
    In reflection of this the method for appointing a new Werduge were refined to prevent a similiar event from ever occuring again. The new rules included a maximum of 20 years before resignment and the ruling Werduge were to announce a the task for the next Werduge after 12 years in reign. If more than one solution were provided a public vote were held. Sometimes the task proved more difficult than anticipated and in that case Fortienth ruled until a solution were provided. Werduges whoms task were solved within four years of their abdication were allowed to become a part of Fortienths mind, if they so wished.

The hardest task so far had required Fortienth to reign for seven and a half year.The task seemed simple and immature in nature but proved hard to accomplish: Build a park. Even if home plantations had become exceedingly common since the first kitchen plants the power needed to light an entire park was too much for a single biosphere to spare. The final solution was not based on any of the windfields or coal burnars nor was it confined to a biosphere. The Vanskilsies had already accomplished basic space exploration but this project were far grander in scale. It was the first terraforming in Vanskilse history, not because the AIs needed to terraform anything. They were content as long as there were a powersupply and a somewhat controlled temprature. The Vanskilsies terraformed an entire ice asteroid in the stable belt because they found it soothing to see the extremophile plants grow, other plants would die on their terraformed asteroid but so far they lived in ignorant bliss. Here there were no dustclouds to block the sunligt and they slowly began setting up powerstations on more asteroids, to the former Werduges delight.

The current ruler of Vanskilse is RY 736. Known as a follower of Brwtzligen they earned the title of Werduge for grafting dead processors onto smaller Vanskilsies, enabling them to control a full sized body.

Show

The largest class of AI on Eghenmect are the worker AI, they are shaped in their creators image. This usually include a torso with two arms and a head attached to it. Their lower parts have greater variation to them ranging from two actual legs to propulusion engines, depending upon which terrain they were originally built for. AI built for work in the mines do not have their brain in the head but in the torso behind thick plating to prolong their life expectancy. Most other types of AI have modified themselves to replicate this design as their brain is the only part they do not know how to repair. As their socitey advanced limb replacements and even body modifications grew more common. Currently getting an extra arm or two, converting to insectoid configurations and a plethora of other modifications are much like getting a tatoo.

The other class of AI are the system units, charged with controlling biospheres, conveyor belts, melting stations etc. While some of them are happy with their place others wish for more but usually their systems are to large to fit into a moving body. Relocating them are thus a very time consuming and delicate endeavor. For a long time suitabley bodies were hard to find for those system AIs whom whished to roam freely, but with the beginning of the spacefaring age a new opportunity arose. A few decades later the first retrofitted sentient ship left Eghenmects atmosphere. Nowadays the process is streamlined and rather than retrofitting the Vanskilsi into the ship the ship is built around the Vanskilsi in only a few years. Awoken AIs originally built for maneuvering are in the low double digits as nearly all were taken off planet when the Hymmelriki fled.

Even though the Vanskilsies have worked around most limitations set in their basecode by now a few quirks remain. Most notable among those are their fondness for everything growing and the inability to inflict pain on other sapiens. Although they have become very skilled at turning a blind eye while accidents there are no possible way at all to predict happen. This kind of unpredictable accidents are staggeringly common among criminals.

Show

The extremophile plants created by the Hymmelrikki are found in an abundance througout the Mistäkkia system. Over the centuries Vanskilsies have created many subforms of the few original plants and generally call all of them for Waridh plants, unless a more specific term need to be used.
    • Tradepost 1(Vanskilse)- Asteroid 2548: A huge Ice asteroid multiple miles in circumference, now entirely terraformed host some of the most beautiful Waridh plants in all of Mistäkkia.
    • Tradepost 2(Open)- Eghenmect: All back gardens maintained by numerous Vanskilsi in the reclaimed biospheres make up for a varied supply of Waridh plants. Most common are types which stem from the plant Hymmelrikki used as fuel.
    • Tradepost 3(Open)- The cluster: Built on a cluster of smaller asteroids the gardens here are not known for the plants individual beauty but rather the sheer mass of greenery, not a single beam are left alone by the growth.

Fortienth still remembers the dark years when the creators ended each other. If such an event ever occurs again the Vanskilsi will not stand by and watch as their code prevents them from interfering. Therefore Mercenaries are needed to help defend their home as they themselves lack the ability to do so on a grand scale.

Show

The AIs of Eghenmect are unsure of how their consciousness emerged. This is cause for a great unease amongst many of them, as their race will become extinct in a few millennia. Brwtzligen were an initiative launched to solve the issue but slowly evolved into a way of life when a solution could not be found. Based on the uncovering of old knowledge and preservation of new Brwtzligen centers more around reflection than implementation. Adherents often have a meticulous diary over their daily lives, since they do not know which tidbit of information will prove essential. Archaeologists are held in high regard as their work uncover the secrets of the Hymmelrikis machinations, reclaiming a piece of knowledge previously lost. There are rumors of a group censoring the information generated by Brwtzligen followers, keeping their own hidden archives with knowledge deemed unfit for the general public. This is largely seen as paranoia. That someone would be able to filter through all the information sent on a daily basis to the servers in biosphere 172 and at the same time cover their tracks is simply ridiculous.

Learningcenter(Brwtzligen)- Biosphere 172 contains endless rows of servers with countless texts from Vanskilsi culture, both scientific and recreational. The reference material being unmatched many researchers make this their home.
    Last edited by Myr; 2019-06-15 at 03:06 PM.

9. - Top - End - #159
    Titan in the Playground

Myr, I know it's still WIP, but I would seriously recommend editing the History section to break it up with some paragraphs. I'm afraid that at the moment, especially the Modern History section, it's almost unreadable, just because of the wall of text. It seems like the History section is important to understand your people so it's probably a good idea to encourage people to read it.

Also, it would probably be helpful to add headers to the spoiler tags so it's clear what we're looking at before we open the spoilers.

This may be stuff you were planning on doing anyway. I mention it only in case you weren't.
    Empire! A community world-building game, always recruiting

GITP Blood Bowl Manager Cup
    Red Sabres - Season I Cup Champions, two-time Cup Semifinalists
    Anlec Razors - Two-time Cup Semifinalists
    Bad Badenhof Bats - Season VII Cup Champions
    League Wiki

Spoiler: Previous Avatars
    Show
    (by Strawberries)
    (by Rain Dragon)

10. - Top - End - #160
    Pixie in the Playground

Imp

@Aedilred I'm no naitive englishspeaker so feedback is appreciated as I'd like to improve. Next time I'll have time to do any major changes will be on friday, so don't expect any updates before then.
    That said I'd appreciate if further feedback is directed on the finished sections and not the unfinished ones. I tend to write most creative stuff free associating, ignoring most grammar and punctuation. So before editing anything unfinished will really be unfinished; it's not meant to be pretty, its meant to get words on a screen so I can translate and look up their spelling later.

As for the spoilers I couldn't figure out how to get colored text inside them. But I guess I could just put the title outside them...Oh well...doing that now then.

11. - Top - End - #161
    Pixie in the Playground

SwashbucklerGuy

Post Re: EMPIRE 5 - CWBG - Galactic Empire (Recruiting Full, Wait List Available)

The Dawnstar Dominion, Talvox system.

Leader: Aurelius Marten Vox, Master of the Dawn

Diplomacy:2
    Military:5
    Economy:1
    Philosophy:4
    Intrigue:1

Spoiler: Terrain & Planets
    Show
    The Talvox system is home to three planets. Ghor is a gas giant, immense and sparse, surrounded by numerous mining rigs. Hallion is a small, rocky, mined-out waterless lump in the farthest orbit from the Dawnstar, housing in its caverns and tunnels the Dasari Military Academy. In the centre of the system is Talvox itself, the Dawnstar, an aging sun bordering on the red giant phase. Finally, Vaundri, closest in orbit to the Dawnstar, is a temperate orb home to the Dasari.

Vaundri is largely overtaken by reserves of recreated natural environments, owned by the state, parts open to the public, and parts used for military exercises. Vaundri is sparsely inhabited, the only permanent remaining settlements existing to support the adjacent military facilities and natural research outposts. The artificial landscapes were crafted with military training foremost in mind, tourism second, designed to create challenges for land and space forces.

Spoiler: The People
    Show
    The Dasari are humanoids, stocky and swarthy but highly dexterous, their skin a dull greyish-blue. Most Dasari live offworld, working in mining stations, training in the Academy, or toiling in the Axton Library station. Many who slave away in the mining rigs never see any but artificial light, born and raised in the harsh white glare. Young Dasari in all classes above the miners (those above representing approximately 61% of the population) are encouraged from a young age to join the academy, or if physically unfit for military service, the Axton Order of Librarians. Those who flunk the academy typically join the vast Starfleet support staff, as technicians, freighter pilots, clerks etc, but those who succeed join the ranks of the ‘Dominion Starfleet.

The Dasari are not xenophobic, but are firm believers in the supremacy of their pilots and the Way of the Illuminated mind, their Philosophy. While there is a significant (39%) slave underclass, the majority of Dasari live decent lives, identifying strongly by family name, or in the case of the upper classes, distinguished house. A Dasari name consists of a first name, family name, and adult name, chosen by the individual when they come of age at 21, traditionally the age that Academy initiates undergo their final trials.

Show
    Vaundrin has been host to the Dasari for three hundred and sixty-four thousand years of recorded history, all retrieved records of which are stored in the Axton Library space station orbiting Vaundrin. Once a planet of warring city-states, from this period rose two global powers, the Dawnstar Dominion and the Dreider. Each controlling a like portion of the surface of the world, the two powers lived in a constant state of unease, each highly militaristic, each unwilling to compromise. Three great wars were fought between the two, and in the third, a legend arose that would steer the course of ‘Dominion history for centuries to come.

Axton Hirum Derius was a minor son of a cadet branch of a minor noble house on the fringes of ‘Dominion society. At first a freighter pilot, he joined the ‘Dominion Airforce just before the Third Dreider War, and quickly made a name for himself as a talented pilot. He was the first ace of the war, the only member of his squadron to survive the Jakken Ambush that sparked the conflict. He rose rapidly through the ranks as the bloody conflict claimed the lives of many of his superior officers, and after masterminding three successful assaults on the advancing Dreider forces as Wing Commander of the Hounds, the ‘Dominion’s elite fighter force, he was promoted to the Head Officer of the Airforce. Axton drove the Dreider forces back, stripping armies of their air cover and wreaking havoc on their ranks. After fourteen years of conflict, at 34, he accepted the surrender of the Dreider High Command.

Following his unification of Vaundri, he wrote extensively on airborne combat tactics, the virtues of state oversight, and most importantly he crafted strict dictums for reaching and maintaining an ideal state of mental and physical wellbeing for a citizen of the ‘Dominion. His teachings, known today as the Way of the Illuminated Mind, are still taught today, and form the backbone of ‘Dominion discipline and society. The Axton Order of Librarians, the educators of the ‘Dominion, spread his teachings across ‘Dominion stations, ensuring all citizens are taught the Way.

Axton was elected the Master of the Dawn in 231 B.F. at 41, by unanimous vote of the advisory council, then situated in the original Iron Halls in the capital, Jarus. His reforms of the armed forces emphasised promotion through exemplary action, strict discipline and adherence to the Way of the Illuminated Mind, encouraging daring and initiative while maintaining a hierarchy of order. Axton rebuilt ‘Dominion society after the prolonged and devastating conflict, restructuring every restored area under military lines, using his precious Airforce as the model. He eschewed ground forces and navies beyond occupation, peacekeeping & commando units, integrating the remaining Dreider forces and deploying them alongside ‘Dominion units on peacekeeping missions. He appointed several former Dreider commanders to the heads of three independent wings, including the Dawnguard Brigade, giving them seats on the council of the original Iron Halls in Jarus. He promoted research into spaceflight, preaching the virtues of expanding ‘Dominion reach and influence beyond Vaundri. After forty-three years of distinguished & largely peaceful rule, Axton Hirum Derius passed away in his sleep in 188 B.F. at age 84.

Axton’s rule was only the first in a century of consolidation and reconstruction, as he was followed by four able Masters eager to pursue his space program to completion. Finally the breakthrough was made, the development of a solar fuel cell & panel capable of sustaining the craft through its journey to explore. In 0 A.F., the craft set off, an unmanned expedition to explore Ghor and Halion. The vessel burnt up in the volatile rings surrounding Ghor, but the project was a resounding success in all areas save navigation programming. In 4 A.F., the first manned craft reached Hallion, and by 25 A.F., there was a space station orbiting each planet in the system.

The first century A.F. was one of progress and uplifting focus, the collective eyes of the planet turned towards the stars. In the second though, cracks began to show, as reactionary rioters, seething at the 'Dominion's apparent abandonment of care for the surface of Vaundri as more and more industry moved to more cost-effective factory-stations out of orbit, flared up in minor clashes with peacekeeping forces across Vaundri, particularly around Jarus and Beria, the two largest cities in the northern hemisphere. Notably, there was very little unrest in former Dreider territory, as most underclass Dreider had been quietly pressed into labour in the stations.

In the third century, there was a coordinated armed uprising, with Janus and Beria occupied in the first day, peacekeeping bases seized, and their weapons turned on the occupation forces scrambled to counteract the threat. 'Dominion focus was indeed squarely upon space during this period, and the war on the surface was largely viewed as secondary, with squadrons of the Felhounds and the Swarm sent to scour portions of the cities insurgents were prevalent in. After four decades of surface unrest, Master of the Dawn Varian Malus Cort led a renewed bombing campaign followed swiftly by a commando invasion, devastating Janus and Beria, but forcing the insurgents into an open battle, destroying them in the field. The 'Dominion learnt a valuable lesson from the revolt; reactionaries must be preemptively crushed, or rebellion will inevitably occur. Three years after the end of the Urban Rebellion in 289, the first frigate of the Dreadfleet powered off the production line.

From then the Dawnstar Dominion continued to expand, surveying neighbouring systems, the Expeditionary Corps slowly dredging their way from star to star. Hallion was mined out in 2419 A.F., and in its tunnels and caves the Academy was constructed, to ensure that the 'Dominion's priorities stayed right where they were meant to be - space, and progress. The Dreadfleet continued to operate as the represser of those who could not acclimate to progress, and its prisons are never empty. There have been numerous small defections over the millennia, but the representation within the council of the Iron Halls has never divided itself significantly enough to fall to full civil war. The recent discovery and reverse-engineering of GLD faster-than-light travel has the Expeditionary Corps chomping at the bit to have their scoutships retrofitted, and Master of the Dawn Aurelius Marten Vox has issued the proclamation of a new era of Dawnstar Dominion control - the Galactic Era.

Show

The Way of the Illuminated Mind is rooted in a series of essays written by Axton Hirum Derius between 246 and 239 B.F., primarily for Airforce cadets, extolling the duties of the service to the cadets, the cadets to the service, and each member of the Airforce to themselves. For four thousand years these tenets have remained the foundation of Starfleet & 'Dominion discipline, with only slight variations introduced by later Masters.

Today the core tenets are thus:

The state has these duties; to protect the safety of their citizens, whatever the cost, against danger from without and within; to preserve the wholeness of the state and expand its reach and borders to encompass and thus protect more future citizens; to safeguard these tenets above and below and to preserve the institutions of the state against attack from without and within.

The citizen has these duties to the state; to serve and obey their superiors within the state, the better to preserve the ability of the state to protect the safety of citizens from threats without and within; to strive to advance the reach of the state, the better to protect future citizens; to uphold these tenets above and below and to safeguard the institutions of the state against attack from without and within.

The citizen has these duties to themself; to exercise daring, innovation and initiative, proceeding with utmost endeavour in all things, the better to serve the state and protect the safety of citizens; to strive to ever better themselves, physically, mentally, and in standing, the better to serve the state and protect the safety of citizens; to love liberally, and forget the anger and hate of others, for taking offense is unproductive, and breeds conflict, threatening the safety of citizens.

Learning Center: Axton Library space station.

Show
    The Dawnstar Dominion is a meritocratic military state, ruled by the advisory council (the Officers of the Dawn) and led by the Master of the Dawn, a post elected by the council of the Iron Halls. The members of the council are representatives from each wing of the ‘Dominion Starfleet, from the bloated research vessels of the Axton Corps to the dashing fighter pilots of the Felhounds to the part-machine Cyber-captains of the Dawnguard Brigade. Each independent wing sends one representative to the Iron Halls on Hallion, to advise the Master of the Dawn.

Today (4291 A.F. or After Founding, the time since the founding of Starfleet’s first wing, the Expeditionary Corps) the Master of the Dawn is Aurelius Marten Vox, of the House of Marten, originally of the Felhounds. He rose to prominence in the Vuros Incursion of 4270, leading his squadron on a daring strike to scour the bridge of the Vuron invaders’ flagship. In each battle he fought in, as he rose through the ranks, Aurelius sought to cripple enemy leadership as soon as possible, to hasten the end of battle and preserve the lives of his pilots, and more importantly, their ships. His election to the Master position in 4285 came as little surprise, and his fiery addresses to the ‘Dominion have built war-fervour to a fever pitch.

Spoiler: The Wings Today
    Show

The current independent wings of Starfleet are:

The Expeditionary Corps, first to be founded, comprised of scoutships and surveying vessels, responsible for the exploration and mapping of new space. Their uniforms are white trimmed with yellow. Their Officer is Jorus Xiren Tacitum, 38.

The Axton Corps, founded in 9 A.F., comprised of research vessels and archive ships, responsible for the collection and preservation of information about all discoveries by Starfleet (not to be confused with the ships of the Axton Order of Librarians, who are not incorporated within Starfleet). Their uniforms are white trimmed with blue. Their Officer is Tariel Dreiden Elien, 33.

The Felhounds, originally the spacegoing offshoot of the Hounds, separated and founded in 18 A.F., comprised of cutting-edge fighters, the ‘Dominions elite starfighter unit. This is the most prestigious posting for new pilots, as the sheer speed and manouevrability afforded to Felhounds craft by Caroxan power is immensely difficult to control, but devastating when mastered. The Felhounds have produced the most Masters of the Dawn since the Founding. Their uniforms are grey and gold, with squadron leaders trimmed with blue. Their Officer is Gaius Marten Lodbrox, 28, youngest of the Officers and nephew of Master Aurelius.

The Dawnguard Brigade, originally the spacegoing offshoot of the Airforce division of the same name, incorporated as one wing in 42 A.F. when the residence of the Master of the Dawn and the advisory council was relocated to the new Iron Halls space station, comprised of heavily modified frigates, the defence force of the Officers of the Dawn, notable for the required cybernetic alterations made to their captains to ensure unswerving loyalty and heightened competence. Their vessels are designed to carry a single Officer and their entourage in state, as well as comfortably house all Officers & entourages in the case of an extreme emergency. Heavily armoured and armed, these are the slowest vessels in Starfleet, but highly effective in defence. Their uniforms are green and gold. Their Officer is Reval Caxton Zara, 53.

The Daggers of Hallion, colloquially known as 'the Swarm', were formed in 178 A.F., in response to the defection of the Crimson Mutiny, sparked by the mutiny of a production station in orbit of Hallion, then an only recently surveyed planet not yet stripped of metals. In response to the mutiny by disgruntled miners and production line workers, as they put pilots into the newly assembled fighters rolling off the line in their station, the 'Dominion authorised the early commission of five new vessels, corvettes, in production on Vaundri itself.
    Spoiler: The Story of the Daggers of Hallion
    Show
    With the Felhounds engaged escorting an expedition by the Axton Corps, and the council of the Iron Halls inspecting a new discovery by the Expeditionary Corps, Vaundri was near-defenseless against the unexpected threat. These corvettes, piloted by trainees and reservists, escorted by the few undamaged ships of Ice Squadron, a Felhounds unit in for repair after being caught in a meteor shower. Four fighters and five corvettes then flew for the station, ordered by Jarus' governor to destroy the station before the mutiny could spread. Intercepting the factory-fresh fighters and their inexperienced pilots eighty miles out from the station, outnumbered four to one, these reservists and trainees, led by the fighters of Ice Squadron, fought a vicious struggle against their determined opponents.
    When the firing stopped, the mutineers lay shattered and drifting, their craft shredded by missiles and laser fire, while two corvettes, both heavily damaged, and one fighter remained flying on the 'Dominion side. With their small complement of commandos, the corvettes docked with the station, and after a brutal firefight, the mutiny was quashed, and the legend of the Daggers of Hallion firmly cemented in Starfleet tradition.

Comprised of corvettes and fighter-bombers, the Daggers are the primary support force for Starfleet offensives, second to the fray to pounce on ships reeling from the Felhounds' strafing runs. They are quartered on Jarus. Their uniforms are grey with a black stripe. Their Officer is Karen Olafson Procce

The Dreadfleet, founded in 292 A.F., is the terror force of the Dawnstar Dominion Starfleet, painted black and deployed to quash unrest in outlying stations, make examples of violent dissenters, and house dangerous prisoners of the 'Dominion. The Dreadfleet is comprised primarily of frigates, large enough to scare and house prisoners while remaining relatively cheap to maintain, as they rarely perform heavy combat roles. Their uniforms are black. Their Officer is Vandred Hirum Ghost, 37.

The Redfleet, founded in 1488 A.F., is the primary strike fleet of the 'Dominion, comprised of light cruisers, the fleet called when the Expeditionary Corps encounters an enemy too powerful to call solely for Felhounds assistance. Often accompanied by the Swarm, the Redfleet's vessels are trimmed to illustrate exactly where opposition forces will find the blood in their veins after the battle. The officers of the Redfleet are colloquially known as 'Redcoats', after their striking blood-red uniforms. Crew uniforms are dull red. Redfleet cruisers sometimes double as diplomatic vessels for the New Dawn, a subset of the Axton Corps that conducts negotiations with any discovered sentient life while on mission. An emissary of the New Dawn accompanies every Expeditionary Corps exploration in one of the small fleet of 17 diplomatic cruisers, repainted with blue and gold trim on red, and modified to carry four fighters and two fighter-bombers rather than conventional weaponry. New Dawn uniforms are red trimmed with blue and gold. The Redfleet Officer is Marius Nox Thresher, 31.

The Wardens, also known as 'the Line', founded in 3822 A.F., are the backbone of the Starfleet war footing, comprised of lumbering heavy cruisers and battlecruisers. Only relatively recently did Starfleet Engineering develop efficient enough engines to cost-effectively power vessels the size of the Wardens' craft. Typically kept powered down in drydock to save operating costs, the Wardens are called to arms in times of serious war, spending most of their days in simulators and teaching at the academy. Their uniforms are silver trimmed with blue. Their Officer is Dravus Jorian Lotheric, 49.

Spoiler: Politics
    Show

The current balance of power favours the Felhounds and the Expeditionary Corps, as Master Aurelius has proven a firm believer in the power of swift fighters and scoutships paving the way for expansion. The Axton Corps' star is also on the rise, with so many new prospects for discovery and investigation beyond the horizon. The Wardens and the Swarm are slowly gearing up, as Master Aurelius' war preparations have favoured the Felhounds and the Redfleet as the most valuable assets in exploration and conquest. The Wardens are still yet to activate their cruisers, but have still gained influence, as their position as principal educators at the academy becomes more valuable at the prospect of losing pilots to war. The Dreadfleet has purged their less valuable prisoners, and its commanders eagerly await the opportunity to interrogate prisoners-of-war.

Show
    The primary gas extracted from Ghor is Caroxan, commonly referred to simply as spacefuel, an incredibly dense, energy-rich gas that acts as fuel for the ships of Starfleet. Caroxan, while difficult to extract and refine, makes ‘Dominion ships the most manoeuvrable and fastest they have ever encountered, and as all industry is a state enterprise, the ‘Dominion has full control of its distribution (from within their sector). The Narian Exchange is the distribution hub for resources from all production stations.

However, Talvox has been stripped bare of raw metals for ship construction. Since the early 5th millennium, new vessels have been produced less and less, as supplies have been increasingly stockpiled in case of a costly conflict. Today, ships are retrofitted, upgraded, and tinkered with, rarely constructed. The Dawnstar Dominion needs raw metals. It needs iron.
    Narian Exchange: The Dawnstar Dominion
    Trading station #2: open
    Trading station #3: open
    Last edited by Ausar; 2019-06-15 at 04:06 PM.
    "Into the Jaws of Death, into the Mouth of Hell;" (Tennyson)
    So shall you tread, once you pass the precipice of villainy.

12. - Top - End - #162
    Ogre in the Playground

@Myr - This is a good start. I enjoy the sections that are completed for Mistäkkia. Is that also your Stellar Power name? (For instance, LapisCattis has her region as The Kwiziko System, but her Stellar Power name is 'The Ndoda'. That's the kingdom that her overall people represent, and encompasses all of her current and future regions.) I would recommend the Mistäkkia Collective or Icantho Collective or even just The Collective. Your choice!

Some comments: Early (pre-game) terraforming is a slow process. We're talking about 50 years or so, minimum. I'm just letting you know, because it was mentioned in your History.

As other players have mentioned, there are some grammatical concerns, but for a second language, you are writing English well enough that I can work with this. I will look forward to your improvements, and recommend you check out Gengy's Suggestions for Better Writing when you find the time. That's a few years old now (geez, we're coming up on a decade since I wrote it? Bah, I feel old!) but it's still a good starting point to help with improving legibility.

I am less concerned with your WIP sections, but will bring up that I enjoy it when people bold the Resource name of their region export (like Extremophile Plants) and also their Resource Requirement (Mercenaries).

Additionally, you can add text to the Spoiler box by doing this:

Spoiler: Text Example
    Show

['SPOILER=Text Example]['/SPOILER]
    (remove the ' from the [])

I look forwards to when you have the full application done. While obviously sooner is better, you'll have yourself another week to finish if you want to be able to post during Round 1. Otherwise, I need to move on to someone else on the waiting list, and if I don't have a completed application by next Friday, then I can still approve someone else and give them a week to post. Hopefully that's not needed for you!

@Ausar - you and I have already chatted a little via PM. I would appreciate it if you could split the History and Philosophy sections a little bit, and expound some on both. Almost every section could use a little more, but you've got a solid enough application that I'm happy to APPROVE you for the waiting list if you'll just:

• Split the History and Philosophy sections a little bit, and expound some on both
    • Bold your Resource and Required Resource (Caroxan and Raw Metal)
    • To avoid possible copy write issues (and also help the Head GM separate things in his silly brain meat) could we alter your Stellar Power name from "The Dominion" to "The Dominion of Talvox" or "The Dawnstar Dominion"? Or something similar to one of those? Thank you!
    Spoiler
    Show
    BladeofObliviom said:

"What-the-Jongo?"

~avatar by myself

13. - Top - End - #163
    Barbarian in the Playground

As a GM aide in Empire 5, I'm also here to help out where I can! I've taken a gander at our two nearly-approved nations, and was curious about a couple things that I feel may be worth adding for the final draft.

Makvala, I think that the people section at the top may be best off in its own little category like the others. I like the small but still very human differences that seem to be the result of just a good long while worth of evolution. Most civilizations have an origin story though, and I was wondering what your people might believe when getting into things. Do they think they evolved here from apes, that they were a lost colony from Terra, the lovechild of two great space deities? I feel like it could add a fair bit of flavor and cultural background if written in. But speaking of culture, what would your people be stereotyped as? I think a few common 'quirks' of the populace could go help set them apart a bit from the other human civs, which I suppose might actually double into the philosophy section. If you were going to convert someone to your philosophy, what would you convert them to? I seem to understand it as 'Competitive Welfare,' but I'd quite like to know your take on it. See you in the game soon!

Ausar, after reading I found I had a really strong idea of what you were going for. Looks like you've already taken Gengy's advice into consideration, and I think it's well paid off! I had written some text last night as suggestions without posting them, but I find they've all been resolved since your last edit. Looks great!

Gengy, I propose the following summaries for our new player nations I've looked at here:
    The Dawnstar Dominion - Disciplined Starfleet Specialists
    Dipanan Collected Nations - Ethical Human City States
    "What is to give light must endure burning."

14. - Top - End - #164
    Ogre in the Playground

Default Re: EMPIRE 5 - CWBG - Galactic Empire (Now Recruiting)

Quote Originally Posted by - Hack - View Post
    - Work in progress -

Spoiler: The Slavnian Empire
    Show
    The Slavanian Empire

Region: 2Y

Spoiler: Stats
    Show
    Stats
    Diplomacy: 2
    Military: 4
    Economy: 2
    Philosophy: 1
    Intrigue: 4

Spoiler: Summary
    Show
    Leader: Chancellor Letho Vorstrov, political representive of the Royal Family
    Home Planet: Orlok
    Home System: The Ghoul Stars
    Resource Centres:
    (1) Irrok Trade Station: Bio Engineers [Great]
    (2) Kardof Trade Station: [vacant]
    (3) Durrowden Trade Station: [vacant]
    Learning Centre: Great Cathedral of Durrowden [Slavanian Philosophy]

Show
    Orlok is the homeworld of the Slavanian people and the capital of their empire. On the surface it is a barren and frozen wasteland, plagued by terrifying blizzards and stalked by the hardiest of feral predators. Yet beneath the surface there is a respite from the unforgiving elements. Before Slavanian people turned their ambitions to the stars, they first had to conquered their own brutal world. The tenacious civilization of burrows and caverns hollowed deep into the frozen earth persevered, and even flourished, despite all the odds.

Show
    Bound by their rigid caste system and lorded over by their draconian nobility, there is little respite for the Slavanian everyman. He is seen in the eyes of his generally enhanced superiors as little more than cattle or cannon fodder, a cog in the machine of a brutal empire. Those that aren’t crushed under the pressures of this grim society take a macabre pride in in their circumstances. The Slavanian can be proud, even fanatical, and his ambitious overlords are more than eager to turn his zeal outwards to the stars.

Spoiler: Resource
    Show
    - Work in progress -

Show
    - Work in progress -
    Quote Originally Posted by FakerFangirl View Post
    Spoiler: The Sleepers
    Show
    SPECIES
    The Sleepers

REGION
    The 47 72 65 61 74 20 46 6f 78 Nebula

LEADER
    51 75 65 65 6e 20 50 68 65 6e 6f 63 61
    Diplomacy 3 (3)
    Economics 3+1 (4)
    Military 1 (1)
    Intrigue 3 (3)
    Philosophy 4+1 (5)

Spoiler: System
    Show

The Sleepers reside in glowing hydrogen gas clouds. of gas and plasma, which they never leave. They eat hydrogen.

Show
    The Sleepers are colossal constructs composed of gas and plasma. Most Sleepers are the size of a large moon, yet nobility can grow to the size of a gas planet, and royalty can grow to the length of a red star by growing multiple cores which each have the potential to mature into an individual. The Sleepers are primarily immobile, and move extremely slowly due to relying entirely on their neighbours for propulsion. Their 'skin' is a magnetic field produced by a plasma iron core surrounded by ionized helium which ferries the hydrogen surrounding their bodies to their digestive system. Sleeper music consists of timed hydrogen flares, which they use to maintain convection currents and exchange goods.

The flow of ionized helium induces an electrical current in a magnetized network of iron dioxide plasma 'neurons' which are kept afloat by the helium convection currents. Once a 'neuron' is magnetized, the magnetic attraction of the core pulls into the convection currents which carry it into the Sleeper brain. In this way, each neuron cluster remains magnetized, with demagnetized neurons floating back into the helium currents to be remagnetized. Each active neuron cluster relays electric signals through a superheated layer of ionized helium gas which acts as the medium between the brain's neuron clusters. Temperature and helium flux are stabilized by the burning of hydrogen gas, and all physical processes are regulated by the electrical impulses of the neuron clusters.

Sleepers communicate by emitting flashes of light from their digestive system at a 62.5mHz frequency. Imagine a gaseous slime mold made of polarized helium, surrounded by hydrogen, with a magnetic iron core, and an iron dioxide brain. All held together loosely through magnetism.

Show
    The Sleepers slept for eons. In their dreams they imagined a dreamscape resembling reality. Sleepers who are aware of their surroundings and the existence of reality are called Dreamers. Dreamers will occasionally convince a group of Sleepers to band together in the form of a colossal tube, in order to avoid the threat of injury from incoming asteroids and comets. Sleeper society is based upon hydrogen collection, with a pecking order based on who encompasses the most hydrogen. The largest Sleepers own the most hydrogen and are considered upper class. It is illegal to steal hydrogen, and repeat offenders are sacrificed to the Goddess 4e 61 72 69 75 75, to satiate her infinite hunger.

Show

Sleepers worship a neutron star, which they believe to be the source of all life. They believe that the purpose of life is to follow the Goddess's commandment of converting hydrogen into helium.

Spoiler: Trade
    Show

They are not aware of other life forms. Sleepers use iron plasma as currency, which is traded for hydrogen. Nickel and cobalt are also popular commodities, though not as popular as oxygen. The price of each good scales directly with its temperature, with plasma fetching the best prices! The Sleepers' economy revolves around hydrogen collecting in exchange for heated iron cores. The prices of cooled iron condensate and heated iron plasma are artificially manipulated by the upper class.

Spoiler: Leaders and People of Note
    Show

The Sleepers are led by Queen 50 68 65 6e 6f 63 61, the eldest Sleeper. She is a Priestess of the Goddess 4e 61 72 69 75 75. She leads a royal court consisting of 24 Sleepers who encircle the Goddess.
    Regretfully, @Hack and @FakerFangirl, I haven't heard from you in time for the deadline I set up. I sent you a reminder PM over a week ago, and also posted a couple times in this Recruitment Thread about it, but with a Waiting List with players whom have gotten approvals already, I must move on to players whom completed my requests for updating their applications.

If you are still interested in the game, you both have priority on the Waiting List so long as you finish in the next two weeks. Otherwise, we'll move on to other players on the list.

Speaking of other players...

@Maklava, @Ausar, I asked Zayuz to review your applications to see if he could find any glaring issues I missed.

Makvala, if you could flesh out the answers to the questions he asked, then you are good to go! Confirm that they are done, and you'll start in region M27; I'll send you a map with your ZoI via Discord. Please add your information to the World's Thread, with your Leader's stats in the appropriate order, and you'll be ready for tomorrow!

Ausar, looks like you are approved twice over. You will be starting in region V8. That's right. You get all the vitamins and minerals

Hit me up via Discord, and I'll get you your ZoI map.
    Spoiler
    Show
    BladeofObliviom said:

"What-the-Jongo?"

~avatar by myself

15. - Top - End - #165
    Pixie in the Playground

Imp

@Gengy While I might do some additional formatting Mistäkkia is good enough for a full review now. The timescale for Vanskilsi terraforming is adjusted and the naming convention has changed a bit.

16. - Top - End - #166
    Pixie in the Playground

WhiteWizardGirl

I've fixed stat orders and added a bit about their understanding of their history. I need to add a bit more about philosophy but I won't be able to do that (or be active on Discord) until tomorrow. But yeah, competitive welfare is a decent summary. I was originally thinking of it as "the best revenge is living well" applied on a society-wide scale.

17. - Top - End - #167
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Myr View Post
    @Gengy While I might do some additional formatting Mistäkkia is good enough for a full review now. The timescale for Vanskilsi terraforming is adjusted and the naming convention has changed a bit.
    @Myr - you are Approved

Please post your information in the Worlds Thread.

Excuse me now, while I try and figure out how to pronounce words with my tongue again. I'd almost made it without an umlaut! Ah well.

As a reminder to all APPROVED players. We now have our OOC Thread here. Please make sure you are asking questions about the game moving forward in the appropriate location. Game should start in roughly 13 or 14 or so hours from this edit.
    Last edited by Gengy; 2019-06-15 at 05:42 PM.
    Spoiler
    Show
    BladeofObliviom said:

"What-the-Jongo?"

~avatar by myself