New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Orc in the Playground

Default New Game Need Ideas

So we are starting a whole new game and for the first time the DM has opened all the books with a few little twists and turns here and there. So in making my char i first looked at having a crazy AC with armour and mobility and dodge and what not but than decided that i would love to play the seller type like char. This is the build i have made up right now and would like some idea of which way i could go. Now mind you this is the first time ever all books have been open and it has thrown me for a loop a little but i want this char to be fun in the end. So here we go.

Human Marshal 1
    Str 16 Dex 16 Con 17 Int 16 Wis 9 Cha 18
    Aura motivate Cha
    Traits: Honest +1 Diplomacy -1 Bluff
    Illiterate +1 Diplomacy
    Flaw: Shaky -2 ranged attacks
    Frail -1 HP per level
    Feats
    Lv1 Mercantile Background
    Human Bonus Feat: Apprentice
    Flaw Feat: Iron Will
    Flaw Feat: Criminal Background: Skill chosen for take 10 Diplomacy
    Bonus Feat: Skill Focus Diplomacy

I am looking for other stuff that would tie into this build as this right now with the rolled starting gold gives me 550 starting gold
    A Diplomacy of +27 at level 1 when mu aura is activated. So where should i be going to next with this in the up coming levels.

2. - Top - End - #2
    Barbarian in the Playground

Default Re: New Game Need Ideas

It's not clear what the roles of the PC should be; outside of combat probably party face, but in combat?

Regarding diplomacy, it's a good skill, but I'd ask the DM how he's going to handle it - in some games it's nerfed, so having a very high modifier isn't that useful. Are you going to increase diplomacy as much as you can? If so, a DFA dip could be interesting (+6 to bluff, diplomacy and intimidate).

Regarding feats, I guess you have mixed up criminal background and hardened criminal. Just nitpicking. Also, have you considered nymph's kiss? I love it!

Regarding flaws, if you want to be tanky, I'd take murky eyed instead.

3. - Top - End - #3
    Bugbear in the Playground

RangerGuy

The character I had the most fun with basically took all luck feats until epic levels and included the full Fortune's Friend PrC. All those luck re-rolls prevented a TPK.

4. - Top - End - #4
    Orc in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Kaleph View Post
    It's not clear what the roles of the PC should be; outside of combat probably party face, but in combat?

Regarding diplomacy, it's a good skill, but I'd ask the DM how he's going to handle it - in some games it's nerfed, so having a very high modifier isn't that useful. Are you going to increase diplomacy as much as you can? If so, a DFA dip could be interesting (+6 to bluff, diplomacy and intimidate).

Regarding feats, I guess you have mixed up criminal background and hardened criminal. Just nitpicking. Also, have you considered nymph's kiss? I love it!

Regarding flaws, if you want to be tanky, I'd take murky eyed instead.
    You are correct on the criminal background and the hardened criminal. In combat he is going to be basically the second tank/combat face. I have thought about the DFA but i have also been thinking about the warlock with UMS and imbue items. than selling them for tons of profit. The feats are what i am mostly looking for but some class idea would be welcomed as well. The holy liberator and evangilist came to mind and could be some really good fun.

5. - Top - End - #5
    Ogre in the Playground

1. With any character focused on money I have to suggest Disciple of Mammon
    2. If you have money you need a way to spend it on interesting things. Mercenaries, magical items, or otherwise power. Setting up an organization can help with this. However the easiest to use money for is magical equipment and crafting it yourself.
    3. Look into businesses (legitimate or otherwise)
    4. If your planning on running a business look into the Merchant Prince class from Power of Faerun
    Quote Originally Posted by Zaq View Post
    I feel like telling the ghost of Gary Gygax to hold your beer is a good way to suddenly stop being the GM, but I have to admit that this would probably be remarkably effective. At what, I dunno, but effective.
    Quote Originally Posted by Zombulian View Post
    I am continually astounded by how new you are here in contrast to how impressive your mind is.

6. - Top - End - #6
    Titan in the Playground

First of all, making a character whose focus is to break WBL is only going to make your DM's job harder. It's not a good idea because it makes the game less fun for at least one other person.

Second, trying to optimize Diplomacy does the same thing as above. It just forces the DM to design NPCs around it, or just not using RP encounters, or houseruling diplomacy to be based on actual role-playing instead of dice rolls, rather than letting it work every time.

You're clearly looking to play some sort of tank, so build a character toward that goal. Give opponents a reason to attack you that doesn't feel like a MMO aggro mechanic.

I recommend a Warforged, Dragonborn of Bahamut (Heart aspect), Crusader. You'll keep your creature type and subtype and everything that automatically comes with it. Use two flaws (Shaky and Murky-Eyed, or find more here), get Entangling Exhalation, Adamantine Body, and either Stone Power or Extra Granted Maneuver (have both of those by 3rd). Get the Quick trait, and either Detached or Plucky. Use a heavy shield, see if your DM will allow you to keep the slam attack that adds 1.5x Str to damage, otherwise get a decent one-handed weapon. Trade Ride for Tumble as a class skill, you're not slowed down because of armor (the feat itself permanently reduces your land speed) so you're still able to tumble.

There's a pretty good build that goes Crusader 5/ Binder 1/ Hellreaver 5/ Crusader 9, you'll want that Binder level fairly early. Always bind Naberius for fast ability healing at Hellreaver 5, so you basically have unlimited holy power.

The goal is to use your entangling breath attack as often as possible to keep as many opponents debuffed as you can, filling in the rounds between breaths with martial strikes that heal yourself or stone power attacks that grant temporary hp. You'll be hitting decently hard, and your breath attacks will be dealing constant damage, plus the entangled opponents will have a difficult time moving past you to attack weaker party members. With Hellreaver you can hit harder and heal significantly better, and you'll still have 9th level maneuvers by 20th.

7. - Top - End - #7
    Bugbear in the Playground

Something I'll note for you playing a human to consider is to be a silverbrow human (you get all the bonuses of a regular human (including the bonus feat) except you get featherfall as a SLA, a little bit of silver in your eyebrows, and you get the dragonblood subtype which unlocks a few interesting feats and prc opportunities later. 0 LA, so it's just like a human, but now it's silver dragon flavoured, like pepsi max- tastes better than the real thing)

Another consideration is I think the Marshall Auras are considered the same as Draconic Auras in... I think it was Dragon Magic, I'll have to check what book they're in. So you might have a bigger list of auras possible than you might think.

Oh, and if you're going to tank, consider the feat Good Karma from Complete Scoundrel. As an immediate action you can make attacks to adjacent targets to go against you (and your AC) instead, spending luck rerolls (you get 1 accumulating per day, costs 2 luck rerolls to use Good Karma).

Some of the other luck feats from complete scoundrel might work for you thematically with the criminal background bit, mostly they're focused on rerolling things you've done, i.e. say you fail a skill check, then spend a luck point to reroll that.
    Last edited by Malphegor; 2019-05-28 at 06:07 AM.
    OI YOU! Join this one Discord where people talk 3.5 stuff! Also chicken infested related things! It’s pretty rad! https://discord.gg/6HmgXhUZ

8. - Top - End - #8
    Ogre in the Playground

Beholder

Quote Originally Posted by Malphegor View Post
    Something I'll note for you playing a human to consider is to be a silverbrow human (you get all the bonuses of a regular human (including the bonus feat) except you get featherfall as a SLA, a little bit of silver in your eyebrows, and you get the dragonblood subtype which unlocks a few interesting feats and prc opportunities later. 0 LA, so it's just like a human, but now it's silver dragon flavoured, like pepsi max- tastes better than the real thing)
    They lose the skill bonus. Not much, but it's important to note for builds that need it to meet PrC pre-requisites.

Quote Originally Posted by Malphegor View Post
    Another consideration is I think the Marshall Auras are considered the same as Draconic Auras in... I think it was Dragon Magic, I'll have to check what book they're in. So you might have a bigger list of auras possible than you might think.
    I'm pretty sure there's a fine print somewhere on DrM that mentions Marshals can get it at a reduced level.

Oh, no, no. It's just the Marshall itself that has less powerful auras than the Dragon Shaman.
    Last edited by MisterKaws; 2019-05-28 at 06:37 AM.

9. - Top - End - #9
    Orc in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by MisterKaws View Post
    They lose the skill bonus. Not much, but it's important to note for builds that need it to meet PrC pre-requisites.

I'm pretty sure there's a fine print somewhere on DrM that mentions Marshals can get it at a reduced level.

Oh, no, no. It's just the Marshall itself that has less powerful auras than the Dragon Shaman.
    The Marshal gives me the aura for motivate Cha which is what i will need for the face tank type build

10. - Top - End - #10
    Orc in the Playground

I am also planning a back up char if this one dies because the DM does not like me flooding the game with gold from selling things at such high prices so we will see. But the back char is a simple idea get the most amount of attacks possible at level 1 while not incurring a LA in any way.

I have thought about the the following

Xeph Lion Spirit Whirling Frenzy Barbarian 1
    Feat with flaws would be the following
    Lv1
    Flaw: Xeph Clarity
    Flaw: Two Weapon Fighting

Now since we are in forgotten realms i know there are reginal feats and could have sworn there was one for fighting with axes that gave you another attack if using axes but i can not find it. grrrrr