New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Dwarf in the Playground

WolfInSheepsClothing

Default How to Build a (red) Dragon-slayer

I want to play a character that is specialized to kill dragons, specifically one a**hole of a red dragon. I already figured that playing a ranger would be the most straightforward method, but I feel like the playground may have some better methods, as well as magic items that would help.

We are starting at level 5, but my DM plans on playing until around level 15. So, it would be appreciated if you could give me some level 15 builds.

2. - Top - End - #2
    Titan in the Playground

Default Re: How to Build a (red) Dragon-slayer

A couple of questions first off ... is this Red Dragon the main point of the campaign, how optimized is your party expected to be, have you ever heard your DM say the words "Scintillating Scales," and what books are you allowed to use?

Killing a Red Dragon is kind of trivial, if (and only if) you have access to Frostburn, and the dragon in question doesn't have Scintillating Scales active. The "Shivering Touch" spell is pretty well-known as being a dragonslayer. It's third level (so is valid for Spectral Hand), is on both the Wizard and Cleric list, works off touch AC (Dragons' touch AC is about equal to the broad side of a barn) and deals Dex damage (which is usually a very, very low score on dragons). With a good roll you'll one-shot it. With a bad roll you'll two-shot it.

There are two big problems with this tactic. First, it's pretty well-known, and there's a well-known counter to it: the Scintillating Scales spell, from Spell Compendium. It turns a Dragon's Natural Armor bonus into a Deflection Bonus, which means it's good against your touch attack. Second, if this is for a "Boss Monster," campaign-ender sort of a fight, you will make your DM cry if his big baddie goes down like a punk in a single round (possibly before getting to do anything, if you win initiative).

3. - Top - End - #3
    Dwarf in the Playground

WolfInSheepsClothing

Quote Originally Posted by Telonius View Post
    A couple of questions first off ... is this Red Dragon the main point of the campaign, how optimized is your party expected to be, have you ever heard your DM say the words "Scintillating Scales," and what books are you allowed to use?
    The red dragon is not necessarily the main point of the campaign, but I felt that my DM would be willing to have him make an appearance.

The goal of the campaign is a little bit of fun, it will only span about 5 sessions. We already have one Over-Optimized character with some wicked spellcasting abilities.

I'm not sure if you are talking about the level 2 Wizard Spell "Scintillating scales" but I don't completely understand how it's relevant.

We are allowed any books from this list, save for the Magazines and 3.0 content
    https://www.reddit.com/r/DnD/comment..._source_books/

4. - Top - End - #4
    Titan in the Playground

1. Wand of Find the Gap with only one charge remaining (225 gp)
    2. One +1 Spell Storing Arrow (166 gp 5 cp)
    3. Hire an NPC spellcaster to cast Maximized Shivering Touch at a caster level of 20th into the arrow, preferably a spellcaster with Greater Spell Penetration (1200 gp)
    4. Potion of Invisibility (300 gp)

There you have it, for less than 2,000 gp you can one-shot any dragon. Be sure to keep your distance so you'll stay safe until you get your shot off.

5. - Top - End - #5
    Colossus in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by SpicyBoi_Nezu View Post
    I want to play a character that is specialized to kill dragons, specifically one a**hole of a red dragon. I already figured that playing a ranger would be the most straightforward method, but I feel like the playground may have some better methods, as well as magic items that would help.

We are starting at level 5, but my DM plans on playing until around level 15. So, it would be appreciated if you could give me some level 15 builds.
    Swordsage would be a nice start. As it just so happens to be a red dragon, Flame's Blessing stance gives you immunity to its breath weapon and you get Evasion down the line anyways. There are also some maneuvers that help you beat up on things bigger than you.

Of course, it's a particular problem that dragons cast spells. Especially red dragons. And spellcasting dragons are frightening above and beyond their immense physical prowess; not having spells of your own would be bad. To that end, it might be worth it to consider a Crusader/Cleric/Ruby Knight Vindicator. Or just plain Cleric would work of course; Cleric charger of some sort could be built á la Dragoon to ram your lance deep up inside the beast's belly with your magic to ensure that you can get to it and dispel its potentially problematic defenses.

Fighting at a range and with a Dragon's speed, archery has to be considered too. It's hard to get enough punch for an archer to meaningfully play the damage game with a Dragon though. Still, the ToB-laced archery option of Dancing Mongoose/Raging Mongoose + Time Stands Still and company exists, and the shell of Fighter/Barbarian/Ranger is decent enough anyways so that's one way to go about it.

Honestly, the class that best matches a Dragon's powers and thus is best suited for this is probably the Cleric (good casting, decent fighting, decent all-roudner) but there's a wide array of alternatives in the system. Ultimately, any class can do it; it's more about the choices made in-class than the class itself.
    Campaign Journal: Uncovering the Lost World - A Player's Diary in Low-Magic D&D (Latest Update: 8.3.2014)
    Being Bane: A Guide to Barbarians Cracking Small Men - Ever Been Angry?! Then this is for you!
    SRD Averages - An aggregation of all the key stats of all the monster entries on SRD arranged by CR.

6. - Top - End - #6
    Ogre in the Playground

OldWizardGuy

I want to play a character that is specialized to kill dragons, specifically one a**hole of a red dragon. I already figured that playing a ranger would be the most straightforward method

So, it would be appreciated if you could give me some level 15 builds.
    If you want to go the Ranger route, consider taking the Dragonstalker prestige class (Draconomicon). Conveniently you'd be able to complete it at level 15. Obviously it's mostly dragon-focused, but some of its abilities are usable against other creature types.

Oh, and don't forget to take Knowledge Devotion with Arcana as your chosen class skill.

We are starting at level 5, but my DM plans on playing until around level 15.
    The goal of the campaign is a little bit of fun, it will only span about 5 sessions.
    Are you expecting to gain 2 levels per session? If so either those are some long sessions or your DM is very generous with XP...
    Last edited by Biggus; 2019-05-29 at 06:25 PM.

7. - Top - End - #7
    Ogre in the Playground

If youa re looking for a CLass Version instead of a Magical Solution (those see above) I would for Irony do this:

Half Red Dragon Dragonborn of Bahamut Ranger 2/3. (depending if your DM accepts the changed LA of the threads here its not +3 but +2 iirc, so not so bad, and if buyoff is in even better, as it wont affect your Level 15 classes at all).

You are immune to your Targets Breath Weapon, have a Reason to be mad at him (maybe he raped your mother?, or killed your actually likeable Red Dragon parent?), and get quite some goodies. If you take up heart Aspect you get a Breath Weapon that changes at will, to show off your Superiority above the Reds Fire, and with a Rangers Favoured Enemy Bonus, the massive Attribute Bonuses of being a Half Dragon, and that you ahve a good Chance to beat a "normal" Red Dragon. If you take Wings, you can fly (albeit much much slower than the Red, I would suggest Heart for this purpose).

Now if your DM plays Dragons as they are supposed to be acting if going by their Fluff and Abilities isntead of regualr Adventures... youa re out of luck without a good Group of Casters. ^^
    A neutron walks into a bar and says, “How much for a beer?” The bartender says, “For you? No charge.”

01010100011011110010000001100010011001010010000001 10111101110010001000000110111001101111011101000010 00000111010001101111001000000110001001100101001011 100010111000101110

Later: An atom walks into a bar an asks the bartender “Have you seen an electron? I left it in here last night.” The bartender says, “Are you sure?” The atom says, “I’m positive.”

8. - Top - End - #8
    Bugbear in the Playground

RangerGuy

Bow with Splitting, and a Quiver of Ehlonna full of slaying arrows...gotta roll a 1 eventually.