New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Bugbear in the Playground

HalflingPirate

Default Pathfinder: Can a rogue disable spells?

Not talking about magical traps, but actual spells and other magical effects on, say, a door.

Not a symbol spell, but like a wall of force, or something like that.
    Last edited by MonkeySage; 2019-05-28 at 05:24 PM.

2. - Top - End - #2
    Barbarian in the Playground

Zombie

Default Re: Pathfinder: Can a rogue disable spells?

Quote Originally Posted by MonkeySage View Post
    Not talking about magical traps, but actual spells and other magical effects on, say, a door.

Not a symbol spell, but like a wall of force, or something like that.
    In most cases, probably not. Disable Device might apply if there is something mechanical going on. There are uses for Rogue skills other than Disable Device that might come into play, such as Use Magic Device, which can be used to attempt to bypass some requirement to pass thru a portal (the Emulate portion of UMD).

But just a standard Wall of Xxxxx? That's a job for the caster in the party.
    "Save your tears, my fetid friends, the dead have Wept enough!"
    The Tears of Blood Campaign Setting Updated 15 Dec 2019
    From the Tears of Blood GiTP Forums 2004-09: "20 million dead. Whatcha gonna do with 20 million dead? You can’t bury ‘em, no time or energy to dig the graves. You could chuck ‘em somewhere out of the way. Or you could burn ‘em. But, but what if those things angered someone, or put a bad curse on 'em? Maybe gettin’ rid of ‘em is better. Just a thought. Hey, you could help us!"

3. - Top - End - #3

HalflingPirate

So I had a password activated wall: The stone would melt apart when the password was spoken, then reassemble after a few moments. Wall was protected by a special kind of wall of force: a person could place their hand on the stone without being repelled, but come at it in aggressive manner and they'd be repulsed (several feet). I had a player try to disable it as if it were a magical trap, and was uncertain whether that would actually work.

4. - Top - End - #4
    Troll in the Playground

OrcBarbarianGuy

As a rogue I would focus on the non-force walls, pillars or posts that the wall of force was attached to, myself.

Light the lamp not the rat LIGHT THE LAMP NOT THE RAT!!!

5. - Top - End - #5
    Titan in the Playground

So I had a password activated wall: The stone would melt apart when the password was spoken, then reassemble after a few moments. Wall was protected by a special kind of wall of force: a person could place their hand on the stone without being repelled, but come at it in aggressive manner and they'd be repulsed (several feet). I had a player try to disable it as if it were a magical trap, and was uncertain whether that would actually work.
    I would say yes, as the mechanism has a trigger (approaching with too much force). The detector for this trigger could be disabled, thus disabling the mechanism. It's technically a trap in the same way a self resetting spell trap that creates food and water is technically a trap, just a defensive one, rather than one that aims to kill the victim.

For this circumstance, I would say yes.
    World of Madius wiki - My personal campaign setting, including my homebrew Optional Gestalt/LA rules.
    The new Quick Vestige List

Quote Originally Posted by Kazyan View Post
    Playing a wizard the way GitP says wizards should be played requires the equivalent time and effort investment of a university minor. Do you really want to go down this rabbit hole, or are you comfortable with just throwing a souped-up Orb of Fire at the thing?
    Quote Originally Posted by atemu1234 View Post
    Humans are rarely truly irrational, just wrong.

6. - Top - End - #6
    Troll in the Playground

Yeah, this is not just a wall of force spell, but a wall-shaped magic item, so I'd probably let the rogue take a crack at it.
    Jasnah avatar by Zea Mays

7. - Top - End - #7

That "Wall of Force" is obviously some form of custom spell that works similarly to a Gylph of Warding, or a Permanent Symbol spell. And Disable Device clearly states that you can disable those if you have Trapfinding.

Sure, only specific spells are listed - but if you make up a custom spell, that spell should clearly be added to that list. Take a look at the design intent:
    All the spells that are listed as being possible to disarm with trapfinding are ones that have some sort of trigger mechanism that can be bypassed. Fire Traps explode when interacted with by anyone but the owner, Gylphs are set to a password but can also identify certain characteristics, Symbols can recognize a host of characteristics or actions - all of those are triggers that someone trained in disarming magical traps (so, someone with Trapfinding) can bypass.
    Take a look at the spells which can't be bypassed (Spike Growth/Spike Stones). Those don't have triggers, they're just always-active. They're only "traps" in the sense that they're hard to spot and dangerous, not because they have a magical trigger. That's the logic behind whether someone with Trapfinding can disable it - whether the magic has a trigger that can be fooled. An invisible wall of fire would be a "trap" (you could fail to notice it and just take damage by accident), but there's nothing to disable.

So yes, a Rogue can disable magical triggers. They can't disable spells in general, but if the spell has a trigger which makes it go off, or allows it to be bypassed, they can bypass that.
    That means you can't do anything against a normal Wall of Force - but you can do something against the custom "Wall of Repelling Force" that only lets certain people pass. In the same way that you can Disable Device a door, but not a wall.

8. - Top - End - #8
    Barbarian in the Playground

Zombie

With this added bit of information I would agree with others and say yes. In fact, probably either Disable Device or Use Magic Device might work. I'd let the player decide which one they wanted to try, and maybe allow high ranks in one to grant a Synergy bonus in the other (not much, +1 to +3) if the activation method was really obscure. This seems like a construction method that might have been learned during training, or from a book or tome somewhere. Good imagination on your part, MonkeySage!

I'm half-tempted to try to reverse-engineer this one... Let's see, Wall of Force, some modified form of Repulsion, Permanency...yessss.
    Last edited by Lord of Shadows; 2019-05-29 at 10:15 AM.
    "Save your tears, my fetid friends, the dead have Wept enough!"
    The Tears of Blood Campaign Setting Updated 15 Dec 2019
    From the Tears of Blood GiTP Forums 2004-09: "20 million dead. Whatcha gonna do with 20 million dead? You can’t bury ‘em, no time or energy to dig the graves. You could chuck ‘em somewhere out of the way. Or you could burn ‘em. But, but what if those things angered someone, or put a bad curse on 'em? Maybe gettin’ rid of ‘em is better. Just a thought. Hey, you could help us!"