Page 4 of 12 FirstFirst 123456789101112 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #91
    Ogre in the Playground

Default Re: OOTS #1165 - The Discussion Thread

Quote Originally Posted by Ridureyu View Post
    Can that stone bridge be dispelled, thus sending all the dwarves falling to their tragic deaths?
    No, it's instantaneous conjuration so it's there forever until physically broken.

Luckily Redcloak didn't remember to cast that during the siege of Azure city (standard cleric spell so every one gets it regardless of god/domain).

Although Durkon didn't use it to just seal up any breaches in the walls so meh.
    Quote Originally Posted by Lord Of Mantas View Post
    "You know, Durkon, I built this planet up from nothing. When I started here, all there was was a snarl. All the other gods said we were daft to build a planet over a snarl, but I built it all the same, just to show then. It got eaten by the snarl...

...so we built a five millionth, three hundreth, twenty first one. That one burned down, fell over, then got eaten by the snarl, but the five millionth, three hundreth, and twenty second one stayed up! Or at least, it has been until now."

2. - Top - End - #92
    Dwarf in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Gallowglass View Post
    In before:

*nasal whine* "but Wall of Stone doesn't work that way! */nasal whine*

Great comic!
    Looking at the 3.5 SRD, at first glance, it certainly appears to be a valid use of Wall of Stone.

Quote Originally Posted by 3.5 SRD
    This spell creates a wall of rock that merges into adjoining rock surfaces. A wall of stone is 1 inch thick per four caster levels and composed of up to one 5-foot square per level. You can double the wall’s area by halving its thickness. The wall cannot be conjured so that it occupies the same space as a creature or another object.

Unlike a wall of iron, you can create a wall of stone in almost any shape you desire. The wall created need not be vertical, nor rest upon any firm foundation; however, it must merge with and be solidly supported by existing stone. It can be used to bridge a chasm, for instance, or as a ramp.
    Using it to create a ramp from the broken part of the stone bridge to the higher part of the meeting hall, at first glance, does fit with the spell description.

3. - Top - End - #93
    Bugbear in the Playground

How nice of Roy to keep Giant Death Worm from being unable to eat anyone else while the others all attack.

And we see Mysterious Not!Thad again, if only briefly.
    I'd just like to point out that saying that something unsupported is the case unless someone else can prove that it is not is an utter failure of logic. - Kish

4. - Top - End - #94
    Dwarf in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Jasdoif View Post
    That's an awfully defenestrative position to take.
    Praguematic of you to point that out.

Let's not poke the sleeping dragon. Seriously Fish, did you also ask the teacher back in grade school if s/he forgot to pick up everyone's homework from last night? (Whistles aimlessly, watches clock until next strip.)

(It is really refreshing.)

5. - Top - End - #95
    Dragon in the Playground Moderator

Quote Originally Posted by Ghosty View Post
    Praguematic of you to point that out.
    You need to Czech yourself before you wreck yourself.
    The Mod on the Silver Mountain avatar by the wonderfully talented Cuthalion!

Quote Originally Posted by Heksefatter View Post
    All hail the dragon.

6. - Top - End - #96
    Pixie in the Playground

Flumph

Ah, so awesome to see Durkon's Cleric magic in action again.

and lol, he doesn't have the heart to tell his uncle that he has a bard on his party 24/7.

7. - Top - End - #97
    Ogre in the Playground

ElfRogueGirl

Quote Originally Posted by deuterio12 View Post
    No, it's instantaneous conjuration so it's there forever until physically broken.

Luckily Redcloak didn't remember to cast that during the siege of Azure city (standard cleric spell so every one gets it regardless of god/domain).

Although Durkon didn't use it to just seal up any breaches in the walls so meh.
    To be fair, Durkon never got close enough to the breach to close it in time.

8. - Top - End - #98

RedKnightGirl

Well, it certainly seems like circumstances are beginning to... slide into place for our heroes, eh?
    Hi! I'm a Girl At A Desk. I like DnD and Path of Exile a lot.

Spoiler: Previous Avatars
    Show

By Howl

9. - Top - End - #99
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Resileaf View Post
    To be fair, Durkon never got close enough to the breach to close it in time.
    Durkon was in the walls at that time wasn't he? And Wall of Stone has a pretty nice range of 100 feet+10 per CL, so certainly over 200 feet for Durkon.

If nothing else, Durkon could've used it to seal the secondary gate once the first wall was lost.

Although granted that just goes to show just how crazy things start getting once you start adding even medium-level magic in D&D 3.5.

Like Xykon could've gone around teleporting packs of hobgoblins right inside the city to bypass the fortifications right away, then after there is some carnage inside the walls animate the corpses for complete chaos. Bring some wights too which we know they had, those can multiply on their own. Even a dozen dropped in the middle of the fleeing civilians could spiral out of control pretty fast.
    Quote Originally Posted by Lord Of Mantas View Post
    "You know, Durkon, I built this planet up from nothing. When I started here, all there was was a snarl. All the other gods said we were daft to build a planet over a snarl, but I built it all the same, just to show then. It got eaten by the snarl...

...so we built a five millionth, three hundreth, twenty first one. That one burned down, fell over, then got eaten by the snarl, but the five millionth, three hundreth, and twenty second one stayed up! Or at least, it has been until now."

10. - Top - End - #100

Quote Originally Posted by deuterio12 View Post
    Durkon was in the walls at that time wasn't he? And Wall of Stone has a pretty nice range of 100 feet+10 per CL, so certainly over 200 feet for Durkon.

If nothing else, Durkon could've used it to seal the secondary gate once the first wall was lost.

Although granted that just goes to show just how crazy things start getting once you start adding even medium-level magic in D&D 3.5.

Like Xykon could've gone around teleporting packs of hobgoblins right inside the city to bypass the fortifications right away, then after there is some carnage inside the walls animate the corpses for complete chaos. Bring some wights too which we know they had, those can multiply on their own. Even a dozen dropped in the middle of the fleeing civilians could spiral out of control pretty fast.
    The wall was pretty long, and the Giant did make it a point to separate the Order from the start. Plus, maybe Durks didn't prepare a Wall of Stone, thinking that they wouldn't breach the wall. Nobody expected the Titanium elementals, after all.

All hail the dragon.

11. - Top - End - #101
    Halfling in the Playground

Look's like Squeaky's apprentice has improved a lot. Good for her.

So what's the game plan after the family make it into the barrier? They'll be mostly safe from attacks at least.

12. - Top - End - #102
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Ninerga View Post
    I find the detail of Roy being eaten really funny.
    Some things about fighting alongside Durkon never change.

It appears Thirden's gotten used to Janna calling him "Master".
    Dang, this was one of my first observations!

Quote Originally Posted by 2D8HP View Post
    I'll owe a pint to whomever I first hear say out loud "Kill two bushes with one stone axe"
    Hah, I didn't notice until you pointed it out that Durkon mixed up two metaphors / used a metaphor far more appropriate for Dwarven culture.

13. - Top - End - #103

Quote Originally Posted by Ruck View Post
    Hah, I didn't notice until you pointed it out that Durkon mixed up two metaphors / used a metaphor far more appropriate for Dwarven culture.
    I love when, in stories with different races/aliens, the writer has then say idioms that make far more sense in their culture. IIRC I think Timothy Zahn in particular is fond of that as well.

All hail the dragon.

14. - Top - End - #104

DwarfBarbarianGuy

O.K., so now the dwarves are the primary team and Roy&Co. are serving to distract the bad guys. I love it!

And Mr. Scruffy's helping! :)
    http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showt...6#post15476516

I know I'm stealing this from someone else. But it's SO FUNNY

Zweisteine quoting Razanir:

"I am a human sixtyfourthling! Fear my minimal halfling ancestry!"

Bagnold could be one sixty-fourth halfling.

15. - Top - End - #105
    Orc in the Playground

That's a waterslide and everyone here knows it.

16. - Top - End - #106
    Ogre in the Playground

That's an awfully defenestrative position to take.
    Defenestration is out of an window. They're going in, so its, I don't know ... Refenestration?

17. - Top - End - #107

Flumph

Quote Originally Posted by Psychronia View Post
    Look's like Squeaky's apprentice has improved a lot. Good for her.
    It's been 20 or 30 years (I forget exactly how many). I would hope she got better.

So what's the game plan after the family make it into the barrier? They'll be mostly safe from attacks at least.
    Only if they make into the blue barrier.

As far as what they'll do inside there, here's my theory:

They won't be able to change the votes of the dominated Councilors. But each of the Councilors is head of a Dwarven Clan. So they'll create a new Clan on the spot, with all of Durkon's extended family plus the Thor clerics as members, headed by Sigdi. She'll vote No, of course. Since the dominated ones are a bare majority, that'll result in the vote being tied. Then the tie-braking rules are consulted, at which point I run out of guesses as to what happens.

In other words, a repeat (of sorts) of the Godsmoot.
    Last edited by dtilque; 2019-05-30 at 01:40 AM.
    Curated Thread: Gazetteer of the Stick

18. - Top - End - #108
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Sian View Post
    Defenestration is out of an window. They're going in, so its, I don't know ... Refenestration?
    But they weren't even fenestrated the first time!

19. - Top - End - #109
    Titan in the Playground

BlackDragon

Quote Originally Posted by Timy View Post
    What worries me is the fact that once all the dwarf will be inside the building, there will be no more cleric with the team fighting the death worm...
    We haven't seen a single cure wounds or heal being thrown, so it's not likely to make any difference that I can see.

20. - Top - End - #110
    Dwarf in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by factotum View Post
    We haven't seen a single cure wounds or heal being thrown, so it's not likely to make any difference that I can see.
    Yes, but we have seen a "Remove Paralysis" spell being cast. And, importantly, "Remove Paralysis" is only a Cleric or Paladin spell. V doesn't have any way of preparing it. Which means... it's all on Durkon.

21. - Top - End - #111

Flumph

As far as healing goes, Elan has quite a bit of it at his disposal. In fact, because the worm is undead, a Cure Serious Wounds spell would probably cause more damage to the worm than his sabre. (If that's wrong, I'm sure one of you will let me know.) If Roy gets swallowed, Elan should cast Mass Cure Light Wounds (which he can up to 3 times, I believe) on the whole party plus the worm. Roy will need all the healing he can get to survive the worm's gizzard.
    Curated Thread: Gazetteer of the Stick

22. - Top - End - #112
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by zimmerwald1915 View Post
    Good riddance to the Order of the Stick.
    I never liked them in the first place.
    It appears Thirden's gotten used to Janna calling him "Master".
    Quote Originally Posted by Resileaf View Post
    Or he managed to get her to say "Master Squeaky" and decided "Good enough".
    Or maybe she's saying it ironically, in a joking manner?
    Quote Originally Posted by Agnostik View Post
    Sure looks like somebody should talk to Elan about a certain prestige class...
    About what?
    Spoiler
    Show

23. - Top - End - #113
    Dwarf in the Playground

DwarfClericGuy

Quote Originally Posted by HorizonWalker View Post
    Yes, but we have seen a "Remove Paralysis" spell being cast. And, importantly, "Remove Paralysis" is only a Cleric or Paladin spell. V doesn't have any way of preparing it. Which means... it's all on Durkon.
    Exactly that.

I was not worried about healing but about drained level, paralysis and any other nasty stuffs we haven't see yet...
    My english is bad.
    But my kiss is french.

24. - Top - End - #114
    Orc in the Playground

Noooooo! Please don't kill the awkward nightcrawler!
    Awesome stickwraith-avatar by Iruka. Such a talented mortal.

25. - Top - End - #115
    Barbarian in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Peelee View Post
    I love when, in stories with different races/aliens, the writer has then say idioms that make far more sense in their culture. IIRC I think Timothy Zahn in particular is fond of that as well.
    edge chronicles does that too
    Current characters:
    Drakirr (Blue Dragonborn Warlock)
    Alyfyldyr Hyalythki (Rock Gnome Wizard)
    Harilidir (Hald-elf Bard)
    Kazaharad Akaztkl (Goliath Barbarian)
    Luft (air-genasi druid)
    And of course Lizard Wizard (Lizardfolk Sorcerer)

26. - Top - End - #116
    Ettin in the Playground

Depends, when the author just akes a real expression and change one word, like in this case, it breaks my immersion, unless the alien is very close to humanity or the work isn't serious in the first place.
    Quote Originally Posted by Sian View Post
    "Any technology distinguishable from magic is insufficiently advanced."
    Gehm's corollary to Clarke's Third Law

Forum Wisdom

27. - Top - End - #117
    Pixie in the Playground

SamuraiGuy

I see the puns already run ramp-ant in this thread... great strip, Roy taking one for the team!

28. - Top - End - #118

Lizardfolk

Quote Originally Posted by dtilque View Post
    As far as healing goes, Elan has quite a bit of it at his disposal. In fact, because the worm is undead, a Cure Serious Wounds spell would probably cause more damage to the worm than his sabre. (If that's wrong, I'm sure one of you will let me know.) If Roy gets swallowed, Elan should cast Mass Cure Light Wounds (which he can up to 3 times, I believe) on the whole party plus the worm. Roy will need all the healing he can get to survive the worm's gizzard.
    Spell resistance would block most of Elans magic (as hes multiclassed and so his caster level will be lower), and cure spells against LDW amounts to a tickle at best. Fight first, heal later would be the better tactic; this will probably be the only fight the non-dwarf Order will be involved in today, so once the LDW is down, they'll have plenty of by time for wand healing/cure light wounds.
    Last edited by Riftwolf; 2019-05-30 at 07:10 AM.

29. - Top - End - #119

PirateCaptain

Oh, uncle Kandro, you poor ignorant fool...

TO be honest, though, I liked the "inclined" pun, because I learned a new meaning of that word because of it.

30. - Top - End - #120
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Riftwolf View Post
    Spell resistance would block most of Elans magic
    The nightcrawler has SR 31. Elan pierces its SR on a roll of 17 or better, Durkon on a roll of 18 or better, and Vaarsuvius on a roll of 14 or better. Casting SR: yes spells is a sucker's bet for any of the Order.
    You, who have nothing at all to believe in; to you, whose motto is "money comes first;" who are you, to tell us that our lives have been wasted? That all that we've fought for has turned into dust?

I'm jumping on the Zim bandwagon.
    Human stick-figure Twilight Sparkle by me. Find more here.