The Order of the Stick: Utterly Dwarfed
The Order of the Stick: Utterly Dwarfed - Coming in December and available for pre-order now
Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567
  1. - Top - End - #181
    Colossus in the Playground

Default Re: [OOC] Princess-Champions of Hyperborea

Basically imagine the exact energy/appearance from Amphibia's Anne for Adila right now.
    Last edited by Thanqol; 2019-09-01 at 08:41 PM.
    Some stories are to tell. Some stories are to keep.

2. - Top - End - #182
    Ettin in the Playground

So do you want to pay a price (tree flings you into weird, nasty foliage) or temporary solution (pigs walk around the quicksand)?
    freedom in the flame

Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by PhoeKun View Post
    Raz, you scoundrel! You planned this!
    Quote Originally Posted by BladeofObliviom View Post
    Great, and now I'm imagining what Raz's profile on a dating site would look like. "Must be okay with veils."
    Quote Originally Posted by Kasanip View Post
    I don't think there is such a time to have veils that it is not the fault of Raz_Fox.
    Quote Originally Posted by Dervag View Post
    It's a freaking Romulan dump truck. The Romulans are no more likely to build an unarmed warp-capable ship than they are to become a hippy commune.

3. - Top - End - #183

Quote Originally Posted by Raz_Fox View Post
    So do you want to pay a price (tree flings you into weird, nasty foliage) or temporary solution (pigs walk around the quicksand)?
    I was kind of hoping for the hypnosnake but I'll settle for the temporary solution.

4. - Top - End - #184
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Thanqol View Post
    I was kind of hoping for the hypnosnake but I'll settle for the temporary solution.
    HE HAS REQUESTED THE HYPNOSNAKE

slithering and rattling of chains
    freedom in the flame

Spoiler
    Show
    Great, and now I'm imagining what Raz's profile on a dating site would look like. "Must be okay with veils."
    I don't think there is such a time to have veils that it is not the fault of Raz_Fox.
    It's a freaking Romulan dump truck. The Romulans are no more likely to build an unarmed warp-capable ship than they are to become a hippy commune.

5. - Top - End - #185

HE HAS REQUESTED THE HYPNOSNAKE

slithering and rattling of chains
    Not gonna lie, I'm really looking forwards to the hypnosnake.

6. - Top - End - #186
    Ettin in the Playground

IF YOU SAW THE VERSION BEFORE I EDITED, PLEASE IGNORE

I prewrote two posts for Adila and posted the wrong one
    freedom in the flame

Spoiler
    Show

7. - Top - End - #187

IF YOU SAW THE VERSION BEFORE I EDITED, PLEASE IGNORE

I prewrote two posts for Adila and posted the wrong one
    As much as I liked the thousand-yard-stare into the puppetshow post, this is definitely better paced.

8. - Top - End - #188
    Titan in the Playground

As much as I liked the thousand-yard-stare into the puppetshow post, this is definitely better paced.
    There was no such post. Insistence otherwise will require...correction, citizen.
    School Fox by Atlur

Quote Originally Posted by The Giant View Post
    Anarion's right on the money here.
    Quotes

"Man is least himself when he talks in his own person. Give him a mask, and he will tell you the truth.”
    Oscar Wilde Writer & Poet (1891)

9. - Top - End - #189

Just checking, but is the next narrative beat 'fade out, sleep until the morning' or 'run out to solve problems right now'? It's the difference between Adila jumping up to go help, and her jumping up to go help and immediately crashing.

10. - Top - End - #190
    Ettin in the Playground

I’m pretty sure the beat here is to sleep and then hash out a plan of attack in the morning. You’re in a spot where there are multiple Bad Things piled up on top of each other and you don’t have a clear shot at any of them, which means you have to make decisions and plans.
    freedom in the flame

Spoiler
    Show

11. - Top - End - #191
    Ettin in the Playground

A summary of where you’re at right now:

Asteria is leading the wild hunt. At an appropriately dramatic time, she intends to bring down the rampaging dragon in order to make the Felorians (and implicitly the witches) impressed with their saviors. She has Jessamine in captivity, the loyalty of Kazelia’s old huntress unit, but is constrained by needing to seem at least vaguely heroic.

Eska was lurking on the secret road to Hecatia University. She likely was another backup plan for finding Diana; it’s possible that Alina might have been set up to “save” Diana from Eska. Either way, she’s now got Dandy in her clutches and has to salvage her situation by saying “I failed, but look, something better!”

Oberon needs both Diana (willingly serving him, apparently) and an artifact known as the Caduceus before he attacks Ourania. This is information Alina could share with you, and indicates that you’re running out of time. He is currently elsewhere in Hyperborea, but the importance of his schemes here suggests more Princesses may be incoming.
    freedom in the flame

Spoiler
    Show

12. - Top - End - #192
    Ettin in the Playground

While we're adding footnotes, somebody has to actually, physically ask Alina about what's been going on with her before she'll be forthcoming. He threatened Jessamine and she's not brave enough to betray a direct order vis a vis not spilling the beans just because it's the right thing to do.

13. - Top - End - #193
    Titan in the Playground

While we're adding footnotes, somebody has to actually, physically ask Alina about what's been going on with her before she'll be forthcoming. He threatened Jessamine and she's not brave enough to betray a direct order vis a vis not spilling the beans just because it's the right thing to do.
    This is good sharing. I think I have a default mode of never asking somebody to recount a scene that we've all already read on camera because it's often both boring and difficult. We'll see where we can work this in.
    School Fox by Atlur

Quotes

"Man is least himself when he talks in his own person. Give him a mask, and he will tell you the truth.”

14. - Top - End - #194

A summary of where you’re at right now:

Asteria is leading the wild hunt. At an appropriately dramatic time, she intends to bring down the rampaging dragon in order to make the Felorians (and implicitly the witches) impressed with their saviors. She has Jessamine in captivity, the loyalty of Kazelia’s old huntress unit, but is constrained by needing to seem at least vaguely heroic.

Eska was lurking on the secret road to Hecatia University. She likely was another backup plan for finding Diana; it’s possible that Alina might have been set up to “save” Diana from Eska. Either way, she’s now got Dandy in her clutches and has to salvage her situation by saying “I failed, but look, something better!”

Oberon needs both Diana (willingly serving him, apparently) and an artifact known as the Caduceus before he attacks Ourania. This is information Alina could share with you, and indicates that you’re running out of time. He is currently elsewhere in Hyperborea, but the importance of his schemes here suggests more Princesses may be incoming.
    This recap was incredibly helpful, I've got to say. Thank you a lot for making it.

15. - Top - End - #195

Me: Alright, time to sleep now
    My brain: but wait i haven't finished thinking through all the implications of that dumb joke you made yesterday

A BRIEF HISTORY OF THE PRINCESS CHAMPIONS OF HYPERBOREA MEDIA FRANCHISE

Swordsmen and Sorcerers of Hyperborea: Visual Novel 2155

The first incarnation of Hyperborea was, of course, a visual novel by Renji Honeysmith. Honeysmith developed the concept while working as an animator for BlackSun's War Knight: Zulu propaganda anime. Most of the character designs were rejected concept sketches for War Knight characters that Honeysmith found himself attached to. The visual novel was an isekai dating simulator, wherein generic anime protagonist Hiroshi Yama is transported through to a fantasy world and can date a variety of colourful princesses while fighting against the evil Watchers and the wicked trickster-gnome Oberon. This original VN had H scenes, and those kinks never really left Hyperborea's DNA.

Princess Alina Cascade: "I love you, Hiroshi... but I know that your heart belongs to another."

Fan reception to the original Princess Alina was mixed. Her route starts off as a generic romance but over the course of it Alina identifies that Hiroshi is homesick and misses Saki, the girl who lived next door to him in the real world. At the end, Alina tearfully convinces Hiroshi to return home to earth and leave Hyperborea behind - an ending that is either considered to be a beautiful show of empathy or a disappointing shutdown, depending. She was also criticised for her endless costume changes, which some users complained 'made it difficult to remember which one she was', but dedicated fans set out to collect all of her possible variants.

Adila The Dragon: "It's not like I like you or anything! It's just that I have to obey anyone who defeats me in battle. It's a dragon thing, you wouldn't understand, baka!"

Adila the Dragon was a wicked and absurdly campy enforcer of the evil Watchers who, in most routes, kidnaps Hiroshi's love interest at some point. From the combination of her lurid appearance and ridiculous skeletor voice, most readers assumed her to be male until the Adila route - where after being defeated by Hiroshi she turns into a human girl and promptly falls in tsundere with him.

Princess Kazelia: "I've been reading books about human love and they're very confusing. I have questions."

The tutorial boss and in-game exposition encyclopaedia. After being defeated by Hiroshi she spends the rest of the game hanging around camp providing textwall infodumps about her sisters, how the magic system works, how the combat system works, etc. Her romance route is generally regarded as one of the best but is also the least played through because it's five times the length of all the others and padded out with huge amounts of worldbuilding and exposition.

Oberon: "Nyeh heh heh! These princesses are so gullible!"

A wicked little gnome who plays evil pranks on people and is the reason why all the princesses attack Hiroshi when initially encountered.

Swordsmen and Sorcerers of Hyperborea: 2158 anime adaption

Hyperborea's reception was mixed - the visual designs were universally praised but the writing was generally considered forgettable. Still, it was successful enough to get a low budget anime adaptation a few years later. S&S' reception was generally negative - the studio adapted the unpopular Alina route and the fact that they blew their entire animation budget on a small number of ridiculously high budget fight scenes really showed. The show was rushed and the voice actors were horribly miscast or phoned it in - with the sole exception of Oberon's VA who was shown the wrong concept art for his character and thought he was supposed to be a brilliant, seductive manipulator and not a creepy little gnome. To this day fans actively warn new viewers away from watching S&S for anything other than the fight scenes - or as fodder for memes about the current cast.

The Shadow War For Hyperborea: 2165 video game tie-in

BlackSun sold the rights for an underperforming Hyperborea to AEGIS, who turned the IP over to a small gaming studio to see what they did with it. They created the critically acclaimed Shadow War For Hyperborea - a prequel adventure about Princess Adila I's campaign to conquer the Hyperborea setting. The Watchers were fleshed out from generic villains into elite soldiers who wielded a variety of magical weapons that they would drop as loot upon their defeat. Shadow War was widely successful and continued to be developed for over a decade with constant patches, updates, and DLC. Honeysmith's original designs and art style remained the foundation for Hyperborea's distinctive look, but the writing was fleshed out with brilliant and beloved characters like Princess Valissa.

Princess Champions of Hyperborea: 2175 reboot

After a decade of success in rebuilding the brand identity of Hyperborea, AEGIS gave the greenlight to a new animated series remaking the original visual novel. Honeysmith was brought on as an executive producer, but he was such a fan of Shadow War he committed himself purely to doing the visual designs and letting the Shadow War team write the script. The resulting Princess Champions of Hyperborea ditched the isekai concept and re-imagined the original cast into their modern forms, to wild critical acclaim.
    Last edited by Thanqol; 2019-09-19 at 05:19 PM.

16. - Top - End - #196
    Ettin in the Playground

Hey Thanqol, if there's a way you'd like to use Alina in this scene just signal it and I'll play along

17. - Top - End - #197

Hey Thanqol, if there's a way you'd like to use Alina in this scene just signal it and I'll play along
    Thanks for asking! The main thing is set your thing up slowly, I'd like to have this conversation play out for a little bit. The conversation will end naturally after a couple of posts - either Eska will lose her temper or Kazelia will arrive with Stheno and that's the moment to intervene.
    Last edited by Thanqol; 2019-09-22 at 06:11 PM.

18. - Top - End - #198
    Ettin in the Playground

This is my compromise between not wrecking your moment and just sitting there twiddling my thumbs for 3-4 posts. Hope that doesn't heck anything up too badly

19. - Top - End - #199

This is my compromise between not wrecking your moment and just sitting there twiddling my thumbs for 3-4 posts. Hope that doesn't heck anything up too badly
    Oh, for sure, that's perfect! Sorry, didn't mean to imply you should do nothing at all for those posts

20. - Top - End - #200

Just a note that I'm waiting for Anarion before I post myself, Kazelia has the initiative here

21. - Top - End - #201
    Titan in the Playground

Just a note that I'm waiting for Anarion before I post myself, Kazelia has the initiative here
    Just posted. I kind of asked for an immediate Asteria response, but you also have about an hour of time to fill with dealing with Stheno and reacting to the plan. I then trust Adila to immediately spring into action however she feels appropriate and also I am highly confident in her Asteria taunting game.
    School Fox by Atlur

Quotes

22. - Top - End - #202

Just flagging that, again, this is a Kazelia scene so I'm going to wait on Anarion before posting

23. - Top - End - #203
    Titan in the Playground

If Asteria does go help, that might give Adila hope on the roll.
    School Fox by Atlur

Quotes

24. - Top - End - #204

Quote Originally Posted by Anarion View Post
    If Asteria does go help, that might give Adila hope on the roll.
    Wouldn't matter; I rolled with despair and got three twos. E: That is, on the roll just passed, to be clear.
    Last edited by Thanqol; 2019-10-02 at 07:12 PM.

25. - Top - End - #205
    Ettin in the Playground

Signpost for Thanqol: fight ends on my next post; feel free to simply get sidetracked by yelling at Asteria or lunge in majestically and get dunked on, that sort of thing.
    freedom in the flame

Spoiler
    Show

26. - Top - End - #206

Signpost for Thanqol: fight ends on my next post; feel free to simply get sidetracked by yelling at Asteria or lunge in majestically and get dunked on, that sort of thing.
    Thanks for the prompt!

27. - Top - End - #207
    Titan in the Playground

Hi everyone. Guess what time it is? That's right, it's time for bookkeeping!
    Spoiler: Bookkeeping Celebration!
    Show

We are doing three things all at once, which can be reflected over the course of posting the webisode, retconned before, placed after, or just kind of written onto the sheets and brought up later as the case may be. They are

1. Recover
    2. Fellowship review and choices
    3. End of session moves

Recover

PCs should heal all their stats and refresh all gear to its starting values (this includes companions if they were listed under your gear section and your "what is a [Playbook]" thing if that gave you gear)

Overlord: Two things. First, heal one stat of your choice. Now second, Advance your plans (see page 182). Your Advance options are one (1) of the following:
    a) Move a plan one step forward
    b) Heal a damaged Overlord stat (if you pick this, you'll have no damaged stats)
    c) Recruit a new (second) general. This does not require firing Azora, you just have two generals
    d) Swap out an undamaged overlord stat for a new one of your choice.

Fellowship
    Did we solve a problem and the earn the respect of a community? This is a question for the group. I would offer probably yes, given that we dealt with the rampaging dragon and the Rider invasion of Feloria. This could alternately be Argossa if we have earned Ourania's respect with our actions.

If yes, the Overlord offers us our pick of one of three Fellowship options.

End of Session
    Did we:
    -Save or protect a community in need?
    -strike a blow against the Overlord and his minions?
    -Learn more about the world and its peoples?

This is also a group decision. I would propose that all three are true. Since we're recovering and get all our stats and gear back, the only option that does anything is to pick Level Up for each one of these that's true. If it's all three, that means that all PCs and the Overlord first go to level 4, then the group picks one person and the Overlord picks one person to go to level 5 (one presumes one of those would be a level 5 Overlord, but perhaps Razalina will surprise us).

For players, this would be one or two advancements. As a reminder for Raz, who I think may have been forgetting some stuff, each Overlord level up includes ALL of the following
    -Get a new overlord custom OR recruit a new general
    -Forge a single bond with anyone, including PCs
    -Advance your plans (same pick as the list above for when we recover)

Summary
    Phoe and Thanqol need to do four (4) things.
    1. Refresh all stats and gear
    2. Vote on a Fellowship option once Raz presents them (or debate should you disagree with my evaluation of us getting Fellowship)
    3. Agree/dissent on how many end of session things we got and decide who should level extra if we pick the level option three (3) times
    4. Think about what stuff to take for level ups and how to include them in the game

Raz needs to do five (5) things and actually I'm asking for a sixth for ease of reference. <3
    1. Heal a stat
    2. Pick an option from the Master Plan move (page 182, they're the 4 I outlined here)
    3. Decide on Fellowship and the three things to offer us
    4. Vote on end of session and decide who you want to get an extra level if we pick the option three (3) times
    5. Decide what you want to do for level ups.
    6. (Not actually part of ending the session, but could I ask you to write and track all of Oberon's bonds on his sheet post that's linked in the OP?)
    School Fox by Atlur

Quotes