The Order of the Stick: Utterly Dwarfed
The Order of the Stick: Utterly Dwarfed - Coming in December and available for pre-order now
Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #31
    Ettin in the Playground

Default Re: [OOC] Princess-Champions of Hyperborea

Princess Alina Cascade
    The Petrichor Princess
    The Lantern

LOOK
    Sad, green eyes - delicate body - frosted glass armor, diaphanous, multi-colored silks - lightly curled, lavender hair

AGENDA
    Salvation: Seek out your own peace of mind.
    Be Brave, Take Risks
    Tell Us Of Your People
    Improve The World Around You

STATS
    Blood: +0
    Courage: -1
    Grace: +2
    Sense: +1
    Wisdom: +3

Wanderer
    You wander the world, keeping whatever it is you wish to keep. Your little light gains the following form:

Light convenience (Useful). Your little light can take the form of tools or comfort items, like ropes, wrenches, screwdrivers, blankets, small animals, tattoos, or clothes. These things still glow, as your light normally does.

Alina's light is derived from her crown. Each crystal has a different color, and each color has its own specialties. When needed, the crystals can float freely off of her head and clip into the bracers on her arms and legs, which stabilizes their functionality (though not their magic. That comes from her heart). Since she's missing Red, her overall fighting power is lower than her station suggests. Since she's missing Yellow, her magic's not as bright as it should be. Her rainbow bridge has holes in it sometimes, please watch your step.

CORE MOVES
    Your Little Light
    You carry a little light with you. It generally floats around you wherever it wishes, but it sticks close to you and rests inside the [lantern] you carry. Your little light cannot speak, but it can point things out to you with beams of light, and flicker or change color to relay simple messages. Your little light will always provide light for you, and it can change its form to suit your needs. Its forms are listed in your gear. When you Share this Move, they also add the little light's Basic Forms to their Gear.

Bend Light
    When you command the light to do as you say, choose a spell from the list and mark it. You cannot use a spell when it is marked. When you Fill Your Belly, remove a mark from one spell. When you Recover, remove all marks on your spells.
    [X] Bridge: The light makes a path, forming a (almost) rainbow road for you to walk on. This bridge can connect any two well-lit places you can see.
    [] Flash: The light blinds everyone nearby, everyone but you.
    [] Shadow: The light flees the area, plunging it into darkness.
    [X] Wall: The light grows still, forming a wall of hard light to block off a passageway.

This move cannot be Shared.

Reveal The Way (Wisdom)
    When you tell someone what is best for them, you mean it, and they listen, roll +Wisdom. On a 10+, they will do as you say, with Hope. On a 7-9, they'll do it, but they'll either do it in the way they think is best, or they'll only do it if you help them. On a 6-, they reject your advice entirely.
    When you Reveal The Way to another player, instead of rolling, they choose how to react. If they take the advice at face value, they roll with Hope the next time they follow it. If they refuse your advice outright, they roll with Hope the next time they do something to spite you.

CUSTOM MOVES
    Healing Light. You may damage your little light to heal someone.

Hook Shot. Your little light gains the following Form:
    Hook - Your little light can pull you to anything heavy enough to hold your weight, or pull anything lighter than that to you. The hook has a limited range, and cannot pull you past a certain distance.

Strength of a hundred. You can pick up anything and anyone you can firmly grasp with at least one hand. Objects and enemies you hold have the tags Ranged and Thrown.

GEAR
    Your little light has all of these Forms, but only one at a time:
    Lantern - its basic form. The little light can fly wherever it wants, point things out to you, and provide a warm glow. If your little light takes damage, it enters this form and cannot leave it for the rest of the scene.
    Light weaponry - (Melee). Your little light rapidly changes to suit your movements, forming blades around your arms and legs as needed.
    Laser beams - (Ranged). Your lttle light fires blasts of energy at your enemies.
    Light shield - (Armor). This shield will protect someone from all damage the light can see coming, but a hard enough hit will damage the little light. You can keep the shield for yourself, or command it to protect an ally.
    Battle Ribbon (Melee)
    A light meal (1/3 Uses, Food)
    Ornate Armor and Jewelry (Armor, 1 Use, Precious, 0 Uses)
    Throwing knives and explorer's gear (Ranged, 3 Ammo, Useful, 0 Uses)

BONDS
    Princess Adila is so honest! Listening to her, she sometimes reminds me of home.
    Princess Adila is so... big. It scares me when I think about what she might do.
    Princess Adila promised to win back Illumina
    Princess Kazelia saw me during my most vulnerable moment.

I am the light in the darkness for Princess Kaja Ironpelt
    Princess Rita von Catabas and I remember the true shape of Summerveil
    Rhyza Sussari likes me even though I'm Illuminan
    Rhyza Sussari is worthy of my treasure and my affection
    Princess Tashanna knows that I believe in her
    I helped save Princess Helya Laynasdottir from Oberon's control
    Princess Jessamine Cascade loves me enough to come back to my side

BAD BONDS
    "I have fought Alina before, and left a wound upon her. It burns with winter's chill in my presence. (Didn't you learn your lesson last time, dear?)"

ADVANCEMENT
    Level 3
    Last edited by PhoeKun; 2019-10-07 at 10:02 PM.

2. - Top - End - #32
    Colossus in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Raz_Fox View Post
    [STEP 3]

Tell us of another one of your Fellowship. Tell us what rumors or superstitions you hold concerning them, and a notable feud, rivalry, or alliance your kingdoms have had. Take a chance and catch someone else in the spotlight. Tell us what they look like from the outside, and add your own little flourishes to Hyperborea's long and contentious history. Notably, they are not allowed to tell you whether the rumors and superstitions are true or not.
    .oO: Princess Alina? The most perfect princess in Hyperborea's history? The one who moves like sunlight and is descended directly from Queen Ourania and is destined to rule all of Hyperborea one day?

You know what? I'm glad! I'm glad that she's the most absurdly over the top perfect person I've ever met! If someone has to hold justice in their hands and ensure that the Law and the heavens remain in harmony, if someone has to be more beautiful and perfect than all us lumpen mortals, then I'm glad it's someone who is genuinely flawless! It's a good thing that ballet dancers look like river dredgers alongside her! Someone has to be the most pretty princess, after all!
    Soldiers, no poor sap ever won a war by dying for his country. He won it by being all that he can be. Damn the torpedoes, or give us death. Eternal vigilance is the price of duty and to the victors go the spoils. So remember: you are the best of the few and the proud. So ask not what our country can do, only regret that we have but one life to live.

3. - Top - End - #33
    Titan in the Playground

Tell us of Oberon. What impossible thing has he already done?

Oberon entered the tomb of Vrex and plundered its secrets. This tomb has stood untouched for thousands of years as a monument to a great beast long since passed from Hyperborea. None could enter Vrex’s tomb. I don’t mean it was sealed tight or difficult to find, I mean it was impossible to enter. Father had me scout it when we acquired the land as our borders expanded and every time I approached it I found that I simply...hadn’t. I had gone the wrong direction or it had moved. Whatever magic it was, the tomb remained as a distant monument. But Oberon entered it, and plundered it, returning with a massive tooth that stood twice again his impressive height. I fear that he has found a way to wake something that should not be.

Bonuses!!!
    What are the motifs and symbols of your kingdom's heraldry? What lovely flowers, what strange beasts, what iconic colors and, well, icons mark your company as distinct when you enter the fray? What's their aesthetic?
    Oberon has not been terribly interested in these things, but part of playing by Ourania's rules includes appropriate iconography, and my brother Cassian, of all people, took to this task with remarkable joy. Our flower is not truly a plant as such, but the frost flower that blooms on newly formed ice upon water. The colors of our kingdom are blue and black. The blue hues can vary to the so faint it's nearly white color of fresh ice down to the deepest midnight, while black complements are consistent and all steeds brought by the riders from the beyond are pure jet black (they do not all have wings, though). Our icon is the Timber Wolf, typically portrayed on a field of snow, often at 3/4 angle from the front so that it appears to be stalking off the banner. It's rather imposing.

Who does your kingdom look favorably upon? Who, conversely, does your kingdom despise and scorn, and/or have a real geopolitically tsundere relationship with? (We're not joining your alliance because we like you or anything, b-baka!)
    The Hecatians as a group feel in sympathy to us. We'd much rather conscript than conquer them, not least because assaulting a witch academy sounds like a terrible idea even to Oberon. It's at the least extremely expensive and time consuming, and it would probably require a lot of his personal attention to get past the worst spells. Much better to get them on our side, they really wouldn't even have to make many changes and there's a lot of knowledge we could trade back and forth. So, we've been sending them gift baskets with runestones and raven talons.

I'm struggling with this, but for everyone else in the kingdom, the Illuminans are viewed as weak. We conquered them so quickly! And they just kind of rolled over. It was pathetic and if the rest of the world were like that, we'd already own all of it. They, not we, sorry. This is hard, I don't think the Illuminans are like that, but it's still hard to take them seriously sometimes. I'm trying though. But I wouldn't be surprised if at least one of my sisters was setting up to harry them.

What does your kingdom's political structure actually look like? Is your mother supported by a democratic council or a witch she married despite her parents' misgivings, was she chosen by the White Stag of the Giant's Wood or the victor in a tournament of arms, does she adopt princesses (adopting a princess is Valid), or how else do you distinguish yourself from all the other matriarchies?

Oberon rules and all power flows from him. He selects his daughters for their roles by talent and merit, with a slight preference given towards age and hierarchy. He believes there is a place for everything and it is his ownership of it to decide such a place.

Which Virtue does your kingdom most value, and which does it overlook? What brings you glory in the eyes of your people, and what do they shun you for? What is Wicked action, only permissible in Devilhome beneath the earth?
    Our virtue is strength, and speed and skill. Our people are powerful and even those who are not princesses are honored for going beyond expectations in what they do. The skilled smith or laborer is to be praised and the weak to be trained or reviled if they won't learn. We fail to appreciate beauty, especially of anything different than what Oberon expects. Disobeying Oberon is wicked and even raising the possibility that he might be wrong about something is a great risk. Disobeying his direct agents is tantamount to disobeying him, and authority flows downward as such.

What is your kingdom's greatest accomplishment in the annals of Hyperborea?
    Well, we kind of sacked Illumina and established ourselves as a great kingdom is less than three years. I guess that's something?

What is your kingdom's greatest city called, and what is it like?
    The capital of the new kingdom is the capital of the former Illumina. But Oberon doesn't always stay there. His witches have set up a great watchtower called Winter's Eye several days march Northwest of the city, in the coldest and most frozen point closest to where we first entered Hyperborea. I think that holds greater power and Oberon visits it frequently.

How do the magicians of your people interact with the living magical essence of Hyperborea? Do they call upon the High Queen's ley lines, gather shimmering dust washed up upon the shoreline, woo the sea and sky and earth by their secret love-names, call upon the power of their wishing hearts all praying as one, or what? What's your kingdom's view on Hecatia Academy and its graduates?
    The power of the Riders comes from our blood. Perhaps these are blood ties to Oberon? Perhaps they are something more fundamental about our nature as beings of the beyond. Not every Rider can actually learn to control magic, but we all feel that heritage pulsing within us. See above for Hecatia.

What strange monsters haunt your kingdom, forcing you and your companions to do battle against them to drive them away?
    With Oberon have come the Wendigoes. These are beasts like yetis, but they exist in part in the spiritual realm with ties to the cold of the realms beyond Hyperborea. They feast on fear and loneliness and are liable to kidnap wanderers and drag them away to caves or dens. Wandering Oberon's domain alone and without his protection is not recommended. I'm not sure if they'd even leave me alone now that I've forsaken my father.

Conspiracy theory time: who is Ourania, really, and where did the Riders come from?
    Ourania is the only woman I've ever seen stand up to Oberon and she's actually my hero now. I think she's really the pure heart of fire made manifest and so long as Hyperborea stands and is full of magic and joy she will always be greater than he is. The Riders, well, personally, I think we were once normal people from somewhere far far away, and we've been twisted by the power that Oberon wields and the journey we've taken. But maybe we were never good people? And I don't know why we went with him or how he had his power before he began to travel the beyond.
    Last edited by Anarion; 2019-06-02 at 02:10 AM.
    School Fox by Atlur

Quote Originally Posted by The Giant View Post
    Anarion's right on the money here.
    Quotes

"Man is least himself when he talks in his own person. Give him a mask, and he will tell you the truth.”
    Oscar Wilde Writer & Poet (1891)

4. - Top - End - #34
    Ettin in the Playground

[STEP 3]

Tell us of another one of your Fellowship. Tell us what rumors or superstitions you hold concerning them, and a notable feud, rivalry, or alliance your kingdoms have had. Take a chance and catch someone else in the spotlight. Tell us what they look like from the outside, and add your own little flourishes to Hyperborea's long and contentious history. Notably, they are not allowed to tell you whether the rumors and superstitions are true or not.
    - "I have heard that, if you strike a Rider's fancy, they will come for you in the night. First they will threaten you, and if they cow you then you are Lost. Next they will woo you, and if you swoon then you are Lost. After, they will kiss you. And if your lips touch theirs, then you are truly Lost. For no Rider knows love, and no Rider has a care for who or what you really are. If they kiss you, they will steal your soul and carry it with them in their jewels, and your body will freeze day by day until you are not a creature of flesh but of ice.

I have... heard that, in the gardens of Castle Illumina, the ponds have frozen over. And in place of flowers, there are statues of beautiful boys and girls. Some look terrified, some enraptured, and some are missing pieces."

- "A lot of people didn't escape from Illumina. When Mother told me to run I took who I could but... right. No. That's not a rumor. I'm sorry. I'll try again. Nobody's heard so much as a whisper about Queen Halcyon or her Adjutants, and in front of me at least they're not willing to guess. She might be safe! She might even be hiding! That's... not a rumor either. I'm really sorry! Here it is: the people are held as slaves. Many are still used as craftsman, which is some cold comfort, but the rest (it's said) are being sent into 'the mines'. Which I don't understand at all. You don't mine for glass. There's no need. It grows up anywhere out of the ground, and what doesn't you can find just glittering inside of caves. A child could, with a few of her friends and a basket, collect enough in an afternoon to keep her town busy for a week. So what in Ourania's name could they possibly be mining for?"

- "I have also heard that Princess Kazelia Swiftlance is not here to help us. They say she wants to devour Oberon Greymane and conquer us with his power for herself. They say she's only pretending to have changed sides, and when the time is right she'll put that lance in my back and go running back to Daddy. They say she might be here to help after all, but that she's so clumsy she'll freeze half the world before she gets there. They say there is no Kazelia Swiftlance and that there never was. That she's some spell Azora Howl cast, or maybe Azora Howl herself.

They also say her horse has just the prettiest wings."
    Last edited by PhoeKun; 2019-06-02 at 12:53 PM.

5. - Top - End - #35
    Titan in the Playground

-Riders have heard rumors of dragons even from beyond the void. Hyperborea is not the only place dragons exist and it may be that the dragons here trace their descent in some distant way to the dragons from the beyond, perhaps even those of another planet.

-Riders are terrified of dragons. Stories of dragons are what Rider parents tell their children to scare them from wandering too far. They're known as monstrous, terrifying beasts of massive size, capable of breathing tremendous gouts of fire that could melt a whole rider princess in a single breath and happy to do so at the slightest provocation. If a bad Rider child breaks things they're not supposed to or tries to disobey Oberon's laws, a dragon will fly out of the sky and eat them!

-I heard from my sister Azora that if a dragon gets really mad, they go blind and start spouting fire everywhere and can't stop it, even if they wanted to until it runs out after a few minutes. She said it can be enough to wreck a whole town or melt a hillsize snowdrift.

-The Riders don't think that there's a dragon kingdom, but I think if they encountered dragons, they'd want to ally with them and would try and pay tribute to be on their good side, show off to demonstrate how valuable they are alive rather than dead, and generally be nice rather than pick a fight.
    School Fox by Atlur

Quotes

"Man is least himself when he talks in his own person. Give him a mask, and he will tell you the truth.”

6. - Top - End - #36
    Ettin in the Playground

EPISODE 1: PERIL IN THE JUNGLES OF ASKAIA

A bit of character establishing, and then a Set Piece. Let’s Doing!
    freedom in the flame

Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by PhoeKun View Post
    Raz, you scoundrel! You planned this!
    Quote Originally Posted by BladeofObliviom View Post
    Great, and now I'm imagining what Raz's profile on a dating site would look like. "Must be okay with veils."
    Quote Originally Posted by Kasanip View Post
    I don't think there is such a time to have veils that it is not the fault of Raz_Fox.
    Quote Originally Posted by Dervag View Post
    It's a freaking Romulan dump truck. The Romulans are no more likely to build an unarmed warp-capable ship than they are to become a hippy commune.

7. - Top - End - #37

story time

Once upon a time the people dug up a clock.

It was a big clock and it took a lot of digging. The desert for half a mile around the clock indented downwards steeply like a crater made from shovels. The more they dug the more clock was found. The more clock was found the more things they found that it told the time for. How long until the rivers flooded, how long until the summer ended, how long until a Princess came of age. The Sultana gathered all her slaves and had them dig, and dig, and dig - more clocks, more knowledge, more secrets to help make Jedad the greatest kingdom in the world.

Then one day the Sultana ordered the excavation to be stopped, an iron floor added to the current base of the clock, and harsh punishment for anyone who dug deeper. She ordered an army to be stationed permanently by the tower to enforce this law.

This is how the Clocktower of the Bazaar was found.

Once upon a time the Princess of Jedad stole the secret of silk from Illumina.

The kingdom had become addicted to silk - so light, so smooth, so cool! It was the clothing of the desert and no one could do without! The army camp around the Clocktower had become a bazaar, their original mission forgotten to focus on the glorious trade of silks and dyes from the rainbow kingdom. All the gold and silver was sucked out of Jedad but, oh, how the people were splendid!

At first the kingdoms were joined by marriage and alliance, peers in beauty. But competing with Illumina in the arena of beauty was foolish and soon Jedad was but a vassal province. Maybe that could have been endured, but Illumina snubbed the marriage proposal from a Jedad Princess to seek a more prestigious match and that could not be borne.

There is much deceit, intrigue and romance to the Princess of Jedad's perilous theft, but the truly inspired part comes in her escape. The Princess had to conceal the silkworms on her person but where to hide such a prize in the free and breezy garb of the desert? So, in the silken workshops, she had an idea: the veil. She wrapped herself in layers and layers of fine fabric, concealing herself and her cargo behind beautiful fabrics. When she was challenged by the Princess of Illumina, she removed the outmost veil - and then the secondmost, and as the veils fell away the Illuminian Princess became increasingly hypnotized - until the Princess of Jedad was able to punch her in the jaw and run across the kingdom, bringing silk back to the desert.

This is how the veil became the traditional garb of Jedad.
    Last edited by Thanqol; 2019-06-03 at 11:57 PM.
    Soldiers, no poor sap ever won a war by dying for his country. He won it by being all that he can be. Damn the torpedoes, or give us death. Eternal vigilance is the price of duty and to the victors go the spoils. So remember: you are the best of the few and the proud. So ask not what our country can do, only regret that we have but one life to live.

8. - Top - End - #38

Also! Assume anything in any of Adila's internal monologues is public information.

Her telepathy is erratic so she doesn't necessarily broadcast everything she thinks, and you're not necessarily always listening to it. Imagine like she's always quietly talking to herself and sometimes you'll overhear bits or if you focus you can follow it more closely. It's in your hands how much you pick up, or don't

9. - Top - End - #39
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Thanqol View Post
    story time
    I love these to bits

Also! Assume anything in any of Adila's internal monologues is public information.

Her telepathy is erratic so she doesn't necessarily broadcast everything she thinks, and you're not necessarily always listening to it. Imagine like she's always quietly talking to herself and sometimes you'll overhear bits or if you focus you can follow it more closely. It's in your hands how much you pick up, or don't
    I promise to use this power only for good mischief

10. - Top - End - #40
    Titan in the Playground

All of Phoe, Raz, and Thanqol have made veil references. I feel left out.

I think this is a really good idea and I like that we can take the opportunity to respond to things in the internal monologue where it seems cool. I promise to try and have Kazelia not always pose like a statue in her scenes so you can at least read her more than the average magical ice witch who freezes everything she touches.
    Last edited by Anarion; 2019-06-03 at 02:11 PM.
    School Fox by Atlur

Quotes

11. - Top - End - #41
    Ettin in the Playground

You both rolled 12s. You both rolled 12s? I am pouting so hard right now you have no idea. Hmph!

(hey Thanqol: I'm not trying to be snooty but it looks like your fingers are muscle memorying the wrong name. It's Alina, with an N)

12. - Top - End - #42

I love these to bits
    I'm glad! I'll write more soon!

Quote Originally Posted by Anarion View Post
    Truly this is the one club that is impossible to join.

I think this is a really good idea and I like that we can take the opportunity to respond to things in the internal monologue where it seems cool. I promise to try and have Kazelia not always pose like a statue in her scenes so you can at least read her more than the average magical ice witch who freezes everything she touches.
    I promise to use this power only for good mischief
    I knew I could count on you to let me down! <3

You both rolled 12s. You both rolled 12s? I am pouting so hard right now you have no idea. Hmph!
    I paid for that luck in blood @_@ *flashbacks of last night's tabletop*

(hey Thanqol: I'm not trying to be snooty but it looks like your fingers are muscle memorying the wrong name. It's Alina, with an N)
    I have been spelling it consistently wrong since the game began, multiple edits have been made.

13. - Top - End - #43
    Ettin in the Playground

We all have our vices. Mine just happens to be diaphanous.

I have been spelling it consistently wrong since the game began, multiple edits have been made.
    If it gets truly arduous, I will switch to Princess Cascade. That being said, my mnemonic (D for Dragon, N for Nobody loves you*) is working a treat!

*: not actually true
    freedom in the flame

Spoiler
    Show
    Great, and now I'm imagining what Raz's profile on a dating site would look like. "Must be okay with veils."
    I don't think there is such a time to have veils that it is not the fault of Raz_Fox.
    It's a freaking Romulan dump truck. The Romulans are no more likely to build an unarmed warp-capable ship than they are to become a hippy commune.

14. - Top - End - #44

Once upon a time a djinn cursed the people of Jedad.

"I am as the desert, fiery and beautiful," said she, "and truly it is I who should be called Princess and sung to by poets and dressed in the finest of silks, not that skank Princess Valissa." And so she defied the Law of Ourania that the land should be bountiful, and cast a spell that her fire should infuse all things - the earth, the sky, the plants. And so the sun blazed hotter and brighter, and the earth burned away to scorched sands, and the trees sprouted thorns, and the fruits became only poison.

The people despaired as their land burned away but the Princess Valissa was not troubled. Her cunning and guile had overcome mighty Illumina, after all - she had no fear that she should be defeated by a djinn. So she travelled to the djinn's court and asked for hospitality, and of course the djinn was obligated to provide. As she helped the Princess unravel her layers of silken veils the djinn asked how her ride had been.

And here the Princess was the worst of all things: rude.

She complained of her trip - how bland was the sky! How barren was the earth! How ugly were the trees! How had Jedad once been beautiful but - if we are to be honest as a princess must surely be honest - it was now ruined. Truly whoever had cursed it must have had a truly ugly heart.

The djinn smiled through her teeth but she was enraged. She excused herself, went upstairs, and screamed in fury. How dare this princess insult the sky she had made, the sands she had ground? So she poured even more of herself into the sky and the land - her beauty and her passion, and so the endless white-sand deserts became alight with wind-whorls of crushed azure and the skies became filled with cloud formations grander than seen anywhere else in the world, and the sunset - ah, the sunset! There were never anything like the sunsets of Jedad across all the world after that day!

So the djinn came downstairs and asked the Princess what she thought. And, chastised, the Princess meekly agreed that the djinn's work was in fact very beautiful and that she had been wrong to say that the mysterious malefactor had ugliness in her heart.

Then they went to dinner. Here the djinn would have her revenge for the insult. She smiled most cruelly as she decorated the table with all the poisoned fruits of all the thorny trees and bid Princess Valissa to eat her fill.

And Princess Valissa ate. And then she again was the worst of all things.

She bit deep into a poisoned apple and, mouth full, began to loudly criticise the djinn's cooking. "This is so mild, so bland!" said she. "I have just come from Illumina and there they had lemon cakes before which these fruits are as nothing!"

The djinn flew into a rage - but she could not yet curse the Princess, for she was a guest - even after she retired to her room and snored so loudly that she kept the djinn and her household awake all night. So the djinn, to spare herself further unfavourable comparisons to the damned lemon cakes everyone seemed to be talking about, blessed all the poisoned fruits. She poured all her beauty and passion into them and filled every seed and every scrap of flesh with her glory! Her fire, her sweetness, her savage kisses and her gentle warmth and subtle perfume - all went into the plants of Jedad. And when the Princess came downstairs the next day and took a single bite of breakfast she was humbled and was forced to admit before the djinn that this was the best food she had ever tasted and she had been wrong to say that the mysterious malefactor had been mild in her passions.

So the Princess readied to leave and was one final time the worst of all things.

The Princess thanked her kind and gracious host, who clearly had such beauty of spirit even though her body was ravaged and old. The Princess said that all would know of the djinn's kindness and hospitality and eye for the finest things in life and the blessings she had brought to Jedad, and how she was the grandmother of the desert. The djinn of course smiled politely, and then went away to her room to ready all her curses of vengeance - but there she saw, horrors, that she was in fact as old as the Princess had said. She had poured all her youth and beauty into her blessings on the land and now she was withered and frail. She wept! Of course she wept! She wept that she had been outfoxed by a princess and her fire had burned down to coals.

And then came a knock on the door.

A travelling pilgrim had stopped by. He had heard that the kindest and most brilliant old lady lived here, a woman of incredible hospitality who he wished to pay his respects to. The next day came another traveller. And then more. And each one praised the djinn with more honest and heartfelt words than she had ever heard when she was merely beautiful, and soon she came to love it.

This is how Jedad came to be beautiful, and how the spices came to grow, and why the House of Hospitality is still the finest lodging in the kingdom for those on the road to the Bazaar.
    Last edited by Thanqol; 2019-06-04 at 12:44 AM.

15. - Top - End - #45
    Ettin in the Playground

I am being pandered to. Folklore stories about djinn and tricksters? Thanqol, you shouldn’t have, but also know that it was greatly appreciated. <3
    freedom in the flame

Spoiler
    Show

16. - Top - End - #46

Once upon a time the Bazaar did not have the Carnival.

This was a fate dourly inflicted upon the city by the Eternal Blades, the warriors of the Sultana of Jedad. They had always been grim and rancorous sorts, but they were paid well enough that when it became fashion to wear cursed swords from Devilhome they all bought two. The stories say that the swords were forged from those devils who had sinned against the King of Evil and been remade into grim and unsmiling steel as punishment and prison. So the Bazaar became more and more grim even as its wealth became greater and greater.

This was the time of tombs, the time when skulls were carved into every surface and dour and unadorned towers rose over the city. The Blades bound their spirits to their devil-swords that their inheritors might have their advice and build their legend. So feared were they that none dared to challenge them or their dark designs. Commerce was conducted under hushed voices under the effigies of the grave. The Blades were a dynasty awaiting death and had they a little longer they would have turned to pyramid building in the ways of old.

The Eternal Blades were stirred from their contemplation of death by the invasion of the army that would become the Watch. This campaign was not conducted by Princess Adila - the grand army had been disbanded, and these were their strange remnants. But they were not without the aid of Princesses: Princess Oministra of Devilhome was bound to help these battered souls to find a new home, and she had decided that they would not be farmers. She had a plan by which they would take the richest city in the world for their own.

Using the cunning siege-craft that they had developed over many long campaigns, the army tunnelled into the heart of the Bazaar. When they emerged they did so not with flashing steel and fire - instead they came black in robes and paper masks in the custom of Devilhome. Instead of swords each of them held an instrument, cymbals and pipes and drums and every kind. Silently they began to process along the streets in ranks, heads bowed, even as the Eternal Blades roused themselves and surrounded them. Soon the armies stood alongside each other, all wrapped through the twisted streets.

And then, with a howl, Princess Oministra struck the bell of the great Clock. She struck it again and again until she ripped from its bronze the beat and rhythm of the hells. The masked warriors remained still but the devils could not. With a scream that shook the skulls from the walls a devil ripped itself from the sword. It snatched a flute from the hands of one of the masked warriors and began to play in tune with the howling of the bell. And with frenzied screams all the devils came forth and took their instruments and played, and played, and played. As they did, with bare hands and cudgels, the Watch fell upon the Eternal Blades and defeated them, and took their city.

The Devils remained loose in the Bazaar. Every year they emerge and try to drown the city in their music and dancing and chaos, and they drag all the people of the town down with them. Every year the Watch beats them back with fists and truncheons alone, in gratitude to Princess Oministra.

This is how the greatest party of the surface world got started.
    Last edited by Thanqol; 2019-06-05 at 10:37 PM.

17. - Top - End - #47
    Ettin in the Playground

Hmmm, Thanqol, I’m not sure that Fill Your Belly works this way - it’s meant for the spaces between major scene breaks. And we’re still in Scene here. (Plus, if Food works that way, it devalues the utility of Healing items.) I know having damaged Sense sucks, but go bug Kazelia about it.
    freedom in the flame

Spoiler
    Show

18. - Top - End - #48

Hmmm, Thanqol, I’m not sure that Fill Your Belly works this way - it’s meant for the spaces between major scene breaks. And we’re still in Scene here. (Plus, if Food works that way, it devalues the utility of Healing items.) I know having damaged Sense sucks, but go bug Kazelia about it.
    Having damaged sense does not, in fact, suck - 3d6 drop the highest is secretly just 2d6 but doing a psychological trick to make you feel worse about it.

Still, I'm fine to change it, I'm not committed to the action. In fact, I was a bit confused by your post. It looked to me like 'do you want to write yourself out of the scene for the foreseeable future y/n' so I hammered 'n' as hard as I could. Did you have something else in mind there? Is there a different angle I should be approaching this from? I'm happy to course correct if I've misread you.

19. - Top - End - #49
    Ettin in the Playground

Having damaged sense does not, in fact, suck - 3d6 drop the highest is secretly just 2d6 but doing a psychological trick to make you feel worse about it.

Still, I'm fine to change it, I'm not committed to the action. In fact, I was a bit confused by your post. It looked to me like 'do you want to write yourself out of the scene for the foreseeable future y/n' so I hammered 'n' as hard as I could. Did you have something else in mind there? Is there a different angle I should be approaching this from? I'm happy to course correct if I've misread you.
    Soft Cut to indicate you shouldn’t lurk down there for the rest of the scene, actually, moving towards putting you on the spot if you did. (Though that was at the subconscious level; consciously I just went “okay, how is the arrow wound going to affect Adila?)

I am so glad we’re communicating all this stuff as clearly as possible, incidentally.
    freedom in the flame

Spoiler
    Show

20. - Top - End - #50

Soft Cut to indicate you shouldn’t lurk down there for the rest of the scene, actually, moving towards putting you on the spot if you did. (Though that was at the subconscious level; consciously I just went “okay, how is the arrow wound going to affect Adila?)

I am so glad we’re communicating all this stuff as clearly as possible, incidentally.
    I thought the rider lady was going to the boat right away, so I had the double 'buh' of her turning around in the same moment I was told that I was dying of poison and should go to sleep until she turns around again.

Also my dumb brain reads a post like that as 'have you considered giving up on life' which was part of why I pushed back with max force. I'm trying not to do that this time around.

What's your thoughts to structure things here?

Want to word better but phone posting
    Last edited by Thanqol; 2019-06-06 at 01:11 AM.

21. - Top - End - #51
    Ettin in the Playground

I thought the rider lady was going to the boat right away, so I had the double 'buh' of her turning around in the same moment I was told that I was dying of poison and should go to sleep until she turns around again.

Also my dumb brain reads a post like that as 'have you considered giving up on life' which was part of why I pushed back with max force. I'm trying not to do that this time around.

What's your thoughts to structure things here?

Want to word better but phone posting
    I do like “no, no, no, I eat the spicy pepper and start yeeting boats onto the shore furiously because I am Adila of the Watch and I am awesome,” especially now that I am moving Kazelia and Eska to the docks and Phoe has revealed to me her plan for tomorrow.

That was not my most elegant Cut yet, but thankfully we have managed to avert disaster, I think.
    freedom in the flame

Spoiler
    Show

22. - Top - End - #52

I do like “no, no, no, I eat the spicy pepper and start yeeting boats onto the shore furiously because I am Adila of the Watch and I am awesome,” especially now that I am moving Kazelia and Eska to the docks and Phoe has revealed to me her plan for tomorrow.

That was not my most elegant Cut yet, but thankfully we have managed to avert disaster, I think.
    Okay! I have a real computer again. Phone-typing for me is some kind of unique hell.

Anyway, just to clarify a bunch of thoughts I couldn't quite get at before:

Firstly, my mental sequence was: <My post>, your post: Kazelia carries Alina onto the boat, my post: Adila takes off carrying the boat and everyone on it, scene plays out from there. When I read your post which was: Kazelia suddenly turns around and walks in the opposite direction from the boat(?) looking for you(??), also you are cold and dying, I wasn't clear if you were setting me up to be written out of the scene, or do a near-death dream sequence, or fishing for an Overcome roll or what. So I instead just hard no'd it. This is fine, but see below.

Secondly, Adila is a character with an unbreakable psychological core. This is totally new territory for me, I have no idea what I'm doing or how to write for that, but I'm committed to it. This is a situation where you've basically explicitly asked 'how does she deal with suicidal thoughts?' and, in the absence of knowing how a normal person deals with it, I'm going with 'extremely decisively'. This means she has to immediately act to cut the impulse off at the base as alien and foreign.

If she can't do that then I'm in a hell of a bind.

So I need to ask that either that the healing goes through just this once or that you completely rewrite/delete your post so that you're not asking how she deals with suicidal thoughts.

(This is not a case where I myself am endangered in any way by this process; I frequently play characters far more self-destructive than this. But I'm trying explicitly to carve myself new psychological space here and can't do it if I have to make allowances for the character having those kind of thoughts. Also I want to emphasise that I can see how the post reads as you intended it and we are still all cool and good, it's just that there's also an alternate reading that stands out incredibly sharply to me.)

Anyway it seems like we're on the same page, I just wanted to make my thought processes as transparent as possible.
    Last edited by Thanqol; 2019-06-06 at 02:13 AM.

23. - Top - End - #53
    Ettin in the Playground

I can do a rewrite, no problem. I’ll roll it back once I’m home and make a new post for “Adila challenge 2.0”

(Also, one of my tricks for phone writing is to a) figure out the bulk of it on scrap paper first, and b) Use The Notes App so I’m not trying to write the whole thing in GiantITP’s text editor, I say as I do exactly that)
    Last edited by Raz_Fox; 2019-06-06 at 02:17 AM.
    freedom in the flame

Spoiler
    Show

24. - Top - End - #54

I can do a rewrite, no problem. I’ll roll it back once I’m home and make a new post for “Adila challenge 2.0”
    *Thumbs up* Thanks. Sorry to be a brain weird.

25. - Top - End - #55
    Titan in the Playground

I’m playing Kazelia, Alina is being kidnapped by Kaja.
    School Fox by Atlur

Quotes

26. - Top - End - #56
    Ettin in the Playground

I lied, I just edited a challenge into the preexisting post after agonizing over my Cuts for a while. This is... kinda an unwelcome truth? It’s the sort of thing that forces Adila to show her priorities, at least.
    freedom in the flame

Spoiler
    Show

27. - Top - End - #57

I’m playing Kazelia, Alina is being kidnapped by Kaja.
    I'm going to be like this all game ><

This is just after I finally learned how to spell Jedad correctly. I don't even have an excuse for that one!

28. - Top - End - #58

I lied, I just edited a challenge into the preexisting post after agonizing over my Cuts for a while. This is... kinda an unwelcome truth? It’s the sort of thing that forces Adila to show her priorities, at least.
    Oh, this is perfect actually, I love it.

29. - Top - End - #59

Misread a thing, editing - done.
    Last edited by Thanqol; 2019-06-06 at 05:15 PM.

30. - Top - End - #60
    Ettin in the Playground

Sure, that tracks. Rider mooks are, like, a one-stat threat, so that Finish Them will just take them out anyhow.
    freedom in the flame

Spoiler
    Show