The Order of the Stick: Utterly Dwarfed
The Order of the Stick: Utterly Dwarfed - Coming in December and available for pre-order now
Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #61
    Colossus in the Playground

Default Re: [OOC] Princess-Champions of Hyperborea

Quote Originally Posted by Raz_Fox View Post
    Sure, that tracks. Rider mooks are, like, a one-stat threat, so that Finish Them will just take them out anyhow.
    Rad.

I'm under the impression that Strength of A Hundred gives me a free Advantage any time it turns into a contest of raw strength unless I'm dealing with a giant monster or similar.
    Soldiers, no poor sap ever won a war by dying for his country. He won it by being all that he can be. Damn the torpedoes, or give us death. Eternal vigilance is the price of duty and to the victors go the spoils. So remember: you are the best of the few and the proud. So ask not what our country can do, only regret that we have but one life to live.

2. - Top - End - #62
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Thanqol View Post
    Rad.

I'm under the impression that Strength of A Hundred gives me a free Advantage any time it turns into a contest of raw strength unless I'm dealing with a giant monster or similar.
    You’re in the same weight class as Kaja Ironpelt and Devil royalty, essentially.
    freedom in the flame

Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by PhoeKun View Post
    Raz, you scoundrel! You planned this!
    Quote Originally Posted by BladeofObliviom View Post
    Great, and now I'm imagining what Raz's profile on a dating site would look like. "Must be okay with veils."
    Quote Originally Posted by Kasanip View Post
    I don't think there is such a time to have veils that it is not the fault of Raz_Fox.
    Quote Originally Posted by Dervag View Post
    It's a freaking Romulan dump truck. The Romulans are no more likely to build an unarmed warp-capable ship than they are to become a hippy commune.

3. - Top - End - #63

Hey Raz, that kind of looks like half a post so I assume you're setting up for Anarion to do a thing as discussed in the Discord?

If it's not, though, in my mind's eye that leaves her open for Adila to fly directly into her. Is there anything stopping me doing just that?

answered nm
    Last edited by Thanqol; 2019-06-06 at 08:58 PM.
    Soldiers, no poor sap ever won a war by dying for his country. He won it by being all that he can be. Damn the torpedoes, or give us death. Eternal vigilance is the price of duty and to the victors go the spoils. So remember: you are the best of the few and the proud. So ask not what our country can do, only regret that we have but one life to live.

4. - Top - End - #64

*Raises hand* I am confused again! I do not know if I can or should be doing anything or if this scene is over or what.

5. - Top - End - #65
    Ettin in the Playground

*Raises hand* I am confused again! I do not know if I can or should be doing anything or if this scene is over or what.
    We have to rescue cats and cat treasures and then also high five and hang in midair, I think

6. - Top - End - #66

We have to rescue cats and cat treasures and then also high five and hang in midair, I think
    Did I not just knock over everyone guarding the boat that was being filled with cats and cat treasures, leaving me in sole possession of both? Or is there a different location of cats+cat treasures?

High fives are super doable, someone suggest outro music.

7. - Top - End - #67
    Ettin in the Playground

Did I not just knock over everyone guarding the boat that was being filled with cats and cat treasures, leaving me in sole possession of both? Or is there a different location of cats+cat treasures?

I dunno, I just naturally assumed there were more ships and that there'd be different stuff on them. Or maybe we need to get chewed out by the Queen of Askaia or something for not doing this entirely correctly. It's a mystery!

8. - Top - End - #68
    Ettin in the Playground

Whoops, this is what happens when you juggle post drafts. I’d intended to say that the fleeing Riders (the few you hadn’t knocked into the sea) were taking to sea, because there are multiple boats’ worth of cats and cat treasures.

That said I was also gonna say “you wanna try Keeping Them Busy?” But the pacing right now suggests just letting you block the mouth of the harbor with your scary dragon-ness without a roll, if you’d prefer! Again, originally intended to post that with Kazelia doing a backflip off the Pegasus.
    freedom in the flame

Spoiler
    Show
    Great, and now I'm imagining what Raz's profile on a dating site would look like. "Must be okay with veils."
    I don't think there is such a time to have veils that it is not the fault of Raz_Fox.
    It's a freaking Romulan dump truck. The Romulans are no more likely to build an unarmed warp-capable ship than they are to become a hippy commune.

9. - Top - End - #69

Whoops, this is what happens when you juggle post drafts. I’d intended to say that the fleeing Riders (the few you hadn’t knocked into the sea) were taking to sea, because there are multiple boats’ worth of cats and cat treasures.

That said I was also gonna say “you wanna try Keeping Them Busy?” But the pacing right now suggests just letting you block the mouth of the harbor with your scary dragon-ness without a roll, if you’d prefer! Again, originally intended to post that with Kazelia doing a backflip off the Pegasus.
    Yeah - if there's one thing in the world that really doesn't want to tangle with a dragon it's a boat made out of wood. I'll just post that zoomed-out-ish.

10. - Top - End - #70
    Ettin in the Playground

Right, I am tempted to rush a montage ending but I think the right move is to give y’all a chance to breathe, make concluding posts, and close this episode out.

Some notes to weave in to your concluding posts, if you want:
    # Kaja and Eska have legged it, abandoning their troops, but that’s a thing you can do in Hyperborea. They’ll just end up paying ransom to Askaia later.
    # The Askaian penal system is in no way capable of handling a war party. Instead of sticking them all into a cat-sized cell, they’re gonna convert a shrine - recently “renovated” and emptied out by some starry-eyed jerks - as a jail.
    # The cat that Adila saved was, by the laws of narrative, totally actually Queen Felicia von Catabas.
    # The storm’s gonna clear out in a day or two. You’ll get your choice of fellowship moves to pick from as a group, in the handy spoiler below.
    # This, narratively, doesn’t have to be a Recovery period; but, on the flip side, giving you the End of Session buff for closing out an adventure feels appropriate. Y’all protected a community in need and foiled the Overlord’s minions, and you learned about Askaia, so everyone gets a pick. (If two of you pick “level up,” everyone does - including Oberon.)

Spoiler: Askaian Fellowship
    Show
    “A Cat at Heart.” You all gain the Halfling move “Sting Like A Bee.” Annie cries in joy.

“Askaian Hospitality.” You all get an extra pick from any one of your Gear lists. Somehow. They’ll find a way.

“Shrine Rituals.” Askaia can never fall to the Overlord. If the Overlord had plans to destroy this community, they lose those plans now.
    freedom in the flame

Spoiler
    Show

11. - Top - End - #71

Right, I am tempted to rush a montage ending but I think the right move is to give y’all a chance to breathe, make concluding posts, and close this episode out.
    I want to make the observation that the end to this encounter felt very abrupt. We went through the villains extremely rapidly and it didn't really give much sense of suspense.

This is something I'm extremely conscious of because it's a potential issue with a lot of PBTA games. For instance, the vast majority of how I'm structuring scenes in Masks is to make it so that villains don't get instantly bopped and a lot of that is making sure there are a lot of villains and threats on hand at any given time. Also remember: Don't put anyone in the same room as a PC if you don't want to see that person get dunked on immediately.

It's a feel thing, managing pacing. My personal approach is to create one more problem than the number of PCs present so the free space can sub in for whoever gets through their issue the fastest.

# This, narratively, doesn’t have to be a Recovery period; but, on the flip side, giving you the End of Session buff for closing out an adventure feels appropriate. Y’all protected a community in need and foiled the Overlord’s minions, and you learned about Askaia, so everyone gets a pick. (If two of you pick “level up,” everyone does - including Oberon.)
    Some things that might not be obvious from reading the book: Recovery periods are really significant in terms of importance. I'd suspect that the average Fellowship wants to do 2-3 quests before Recovering, and the last quest they should be doing on absolute fumes in terms of gear and damage which might end in a humiliating defeat. Recovering is what the Fellowship does when they get to Lothlorien after dodging giants, blizzards, orcs, trolls, etc - it's a major narrative beat and gives the Overlord a hugely free hand in response.

The rhythm of Fellowship is about attrition, exhaustion, and wanting to push yourself just a little bit harder to see if you can save the world even when you think you need to ease off for a bit.

Secondly, think very hard about taking the Overlord move Master Planner - the one that gives you an extra plan every cycle. It's a move that totally changes the rhythm of the game from 'light-hearted and the heroes are usually winning' to 'this is serious and the heroes are losing the war even if they win every fight'. This is fine, just be aware that it's the most significant single pick you can make.

(One other thing - because the end of session move gives an option for limited recovery, if the sessions are too short then that also short-circuits the pacing of Fellowship by letting us constantly top up after brief skirmishes. I'd make the average issue 3-4 times longer than what we just went through)

Spoiler: Askaian Fellowship
    Show
    “A Cat at Heart.” You all gain the Halfling move “Sting Like A Bee.” Annie cries in joy.

“Askaian Hospitality.” You all get an extra pick from any one of your Gear lists. Somehow. They’ll find a way.

“Shrine Rituals.” Askaia can never fall to the Overlord. If the Overlord had plans to destroy this community, they lose those plans now.
    I don't want to get Sting like a Bee because it's add odds with my character concept. Of the other two I'm agnostic.
    Last edited by Thanqol; 2019-06-06 at 11:23 PM.

12. - Top - End - #72
    Ettin in the Playground

Okay, the very quick answer is that you’re right, this is way too early for the End of Session. Cancel that. Still pick a Fellowship move as a early episode perk, though.
    freedom in the flame

Spoiler
    Show

13. - Top - End - #73

Okay, the very quick answer is that you’re right, this is way too early for the End of Session. Cancel that. Still pick a Fellowship move as a early episode perk, though.
    Yeah - I just took a walk around the block to think about it and it just bugged me more and more. We haven't done enough to call this a session yet. Adila especially didn't even get to meaningfully interact with any threats, she hasn't learned anything or grown at all - she might in a little while but it's still all setup. She certainly hasn't earned a level up.

There are also a bunch of unresolved questions on the table, like who's casting the spell on the mist-incense etc.

14. - Top - End - #74
    Ettin in the Playground

I would personally benefit in this game from a little bit of slowdown. Thinking in terms of, like, multi-part episodes where there's lots of room for pretty princess drama and several tiers of threats lying underneath each other in between moments of apparent victory. A longer period of time to chew on posts before I actually submit them. Eyes on longer term goals, a little bit.

I really feel like my posting rate and general level of quality has been a sign of how mega into this game I am (it's unprecedented), but I'm also starting to feel like everything's stuck in light speed and I'm not sure I can keep up like that forever. So I'm just going to voluntarily pump the brakes a little bit to make sure my relationship with this stays as glowingly positive as its been so far. Also I'm sorry if I sound fatalistic right now, I'm not. I've just got a headache trying to murder me and I've had a super crap personal day on top of that. I don't know if it's affecting my tone or not, but it's definitely constraining my thoughts. I can expand on this later if I need to

15. - Top - End - #75
    Ettin in the Playground

I want to make the observation that the end to this encounter felt very abrupt. We went through the villains extremely rapidly and it didn't really give much sense of suspense.
    Previously unbeknownst to me, that was actually the first half of a two-parter. Tune in for Perils Part II.

Quote Originally Posted by Thanqol
    Some things that might not be obvious from reading the book: Recovery periods are really significant in terms of importance.
    I am aware! Which is why I was trying to head that off at the pass. (I should have gone with my first instinct, which was “okay, let them burn food and go to Jedad;” I managed to psych myself out imagining pushback to that call.)

Secondly, think very hard about taking the Overlord move Master Planner - the one that gives you an extra plan every cycle. It's a move that totally changes the rhythm of the game from 'light-hearted and the heroes are usually winning' to 'this is serious and the heroes are losing the war even if they win every fight'. This is fine, just be aware that it's the most significant single pick you can make.
    I’m aware MP is a hell of a move, but it’s also a trade-off: you have three plans, but you keep advancing your plans one at a time, one step per opportunity. So you have more options, but you execute plans at the same speed- or slowly, then all at once.

(I'd make the average issue 3-4 times longer than what we just went through)
    Noted.

There are also a bunch of unresolved questions on the table, like who's casting the spell on the mist-incense etc.
    I would be interested in hearing what you all are interested in following up on in Part II, and I can certainly retcon my previous statements about the mists in order to give it a more sinister origin.

I would personally benefit in this game from a little bit of slowdown. Thinking in terms of, like, multi-part episodes where there's lots of room for pretty princess drama and several tiers of threats lying underneath each other in between moments of apparent victory. A longer period of time to chew on posts before I actually submit them. Eyes on longer term goals, a little bit.
    As much as I don’t want to, I have to agree; I’m pretty sure my attempts to make sure I post multiple times a day are devaluing the quality and making me make dumb slip-ups. I’m painfully aware that my leisure time is out of sync with both you and Annie, and I have been pushing myself over the thought of you guys waiting all night on me to reply to posts. But I definitely can’t keep that up much longer, either.
    Last edited by Raz_Fox; 2019-06-07 at 01:45 AM.
    freedom in the flame

Spoiler
    Show

16. - Top - End - #76

I really feel like my posting rate and general level of quality has been a sign of how mega into this game I am (it's unprecedented), but I'm also starting to feel like everything's stuck in light speed and I'm not sure I can keep up like that forever. So I'm just going to voluntarily pump the brakes a little bit to make sure my relationship with this stays as glowingly positive as its been so far. Also I'm sorry if I sound fatalistic right now, I'm not. I've just got a headache trying to murder me and I've had a super crap personal day on top of that. I don't know if it's affecting my tone or not, but it's definitely constraining my thoughts. I can expand on this later if I need to
    As much as I don’t want to, I have to agree; I’m pretty sure my attempts to make sure I post multiple times a day are devaluing the quality and making me make dumb slip-ups. I’m painfully aware that my leisure time is out of sync with both you and Annie, and I have been pushing myself over the thought of you guys waiting all night on me to reply to posts. But I definitely can’t keep that up much longer, either.
    A post cycle a day is the natural state of the world

Previously unbeknownst to me, that was actually the first half of a two-parter. Tune in for Perils Part II.

I would be interested in hearing what you all are interested in following up on in Part II, and I can certainly retcon my previous statements about the mists in order to give it a more sinister origin.
    I've given you ideas elsewhere, but I think Adila needs some sort of closure on her stealth vs openness theme now that it's been brought up. Spotlight that particular dilemma somehow. Not necessarily permanently, but enough that there's an internal arc over the episode.
    Last edited by Thanqol; 2019-06-07 at 02:27 AM.

17. - Top - End - #77
    Titan in the Playground

On the fellowship option, I actually don't want Sting Like a Bee for everyone. It only applies to targets bigger than you and doesn't really fit the group, even though I love the move. I'm kind of torn between the other two. Getting an extra gear option will make all of us just consistently better the whole game. But I'm ultimately leaning somewhat towards the shrine ritual because it likely vexes an overlord plan, establishes a bastion of safety, and is ultimately the clearest progress towards our goal available in the game.

So, I guess that one, even if I did want a chimera.
    School Fox by Atlur

Quote Originally Posted by The Giant View Post
    Anarion's right on the money here.
    Quotes

"Man is least himself when he talks in his own person. Give him a mask, and he will tell you the truth.”
    Oscar Wilde Writer & Poet (1891)

18. - Top - End - #78
    Titan in the Playground

Three and a half years ago

Let it be hereby and forthwith proclaimed that all daughters of King Oberon Greymane, Lord of Lords, The Heart of Winter, The Robber King, The Shadow Dancer, and King of the Riders shall henceforth be known by the title of "Princess" should be addressed as such or as "Your Grace" and are to be treated with all respect due to their station!

So proclaims King Oberon Greymane

"Uuuugh, who wrote that drivel and posted it across the entire castle town?" Eska groaned out loud as she walked with Kaja and Kazelia through one of the frozen gardens. "I swear, I swear next father is going to have us all dressed is tutus and dancing across the castle gardens at this rate!" Eska emphasized her complete and utter disgust for this image by using her bow to hack off a frozen rose and let it drop with a thunk onto a nearby block of ice. That block had once been a a merrily tinkling stream pouring from a fountain set into the castle, part of a series of little water paths that broke up the stroll within the gardens, creating mesmerizing rainbow patterns and letting someone walking in bare fit deep their toes in for a moment of cool refreshment. Now, they were frozen blocks of ice an inch or two high leading across the gardens and to the walls.

"I like it" Kaja said, picking up the rose and trying to set it back on top of the bush behind Eska. "I mean, who doesn't want to be a princess, right? Maybe this means Dad's finally settling in and planning to stick around someplace for once, right?" She tried to settle the rose back into place, but the pressure she put on the poor thing caused half the bush to shatter instead, frozen roses in multicolors clattering around, some settling to a stop on petrified blades of grass, others rolling and skidding on the ice several feet away. Kaja looked abashed and slowly dropped the single rose she was holding, creating a repeat thunk. Saying nothing, she caught up to the other two.

Kazelia sighed, half in exasperation and half dreamily. "It means that father has to play by the rules here." She was picturing the fight and the woman who looked like fire, who glowed like a beacon to eyes just exiting the void. She'd had the better of Oberon from the start and that had been such a shock. Kazelia might have been in love, but she couldn't let that show, so she answered the question instead. "Anyway, Cassian wrote the proclamation. It's kind of a joke really, he made it so it's only Oberon's daughters who get the title, but he's the one that's been doing all the princess stuff. He designed the new flags, wrote out the proclamation, created Oberon's personal stamp. I heard he even started some kind of flower service or something."

"Flower arranging" Eska corrected, then tried to shrug when both of her sisters stopped walking and turned to look at her with complete shock. "What? Don't look at me like that, he came to ask me about self-delivering gift baskets, said he needed some way to get in touch with the witches that already lived here. It seemed like a good idea and frozen flowers don't wilt so they're actually better than regular flowers anyway.

"Right, well flower arranging," Kazelia went back into her stride and her sisters followed as she headed to the stables. "Anyway, point is that Cassian's way more into the princess thing than any of the rest of us, and he went out of his way to leave himself out. Maybe father told him not to do it, but I'd be shocked if he cared...about anything. The proclamations are already covering the entire town though, and I'm supposed to fly a bunch of them to the new settlements at the mines and that town they're founding near the port to get a fleet started. Azoria, they're calling it." Kazelia tried not to laugh, ended up swallowing it instead, looked away from her sisters to avoid showing them anything with the excuse of saddling up Shiva. The stables they still kept unfrozen, the horses needed to eat and sleep, and while Rider horses didn't mind the cold at all, they still found it slippery and they couldn't eat frozen hay and oats. Stablehands were selected in part because their cold powers manifested less noticeably (everyone's powers were weaker than Oberon's daughters, but some barely manifested at all), and Kazelia almost found herself jealous of them when she saw them working so naturally.

She saddled up Shiva herself though, tying the saddle with an expert hand around the shimmering crystal wings that she had gained as part of their conquest of Illumina. Those were rare and had been a special reward for Kazelia, even if Azora had been the one doling out the rewards while father couldn't be bothered. The saddle set to her satisfaction, she mounted the pegasus and started into the sky. "Bye sisters, try not to get into any trouble while I'm gone. And send those flowers you crushed to Cassian, maybe he'll do something nice with them!" She laughed, but it hurt just a little and she gave Shiva a gentle nudge to urge her to fly away faster.
    School Fox by Atlur

Quote Originally Posted by The Giant View Post
    Anarion's right on the money here.
    Quotes

"Man is least himself when he talks in his own person. Give him a mask, and he will tell you the truth.”
    Oscar Wilde Writer & Poet (1891)

19. - Top - End - #79
    Ettin in the Playground

Oberon Greymane

The Heart of Winter. The Robber King. The Shadow Dancer. King of the Riders, first over Ouroboros's nigh-impassable back, handsome and quick to laughter, yet covetous and arrogant in equal measure. Has an uncomfortable amount of Hot Dad Energy. If he usurps Ourania’s throne in Argossa's branches, you won't need a weather forecast anymore: snow upcoming for the next seven hundred years.

Look:
    Rider’s Eyes, naturally.
    Finely-made yet practical clothing, in various shades of black and blue, but also the night-cloak Kthos.
    Really distractingly hot in that silver fox sort of way; clean-shaven, and the lines just make his face better-defined.
    Commanding attitude, buried underneath superficial gentleness.

• UNQUESTIONED KING OF THE RIDERS - like it or not, by the ancient codes of Hyperborea, the queens of Hyperborea have to treat Oberon as a peer, and no Rider would ever disobey or question an order from their King. (SoP: Castle Thessia)
    • WINTER'S PANOPLY - some of the things he carries are undeniably from places that are not Hyperborea, and others are wonders that he has stolen from the kingdoms of Hyperborea and turned to his own ends: the abhorrent wonder-knife Yearning/Echidna, the unbreakable ribbon-spear Pearlion, the black eclipse-bow Blinding, the rippling night-cloak Kthos, the writhing blade-tattoos of Ynloc-Athera...
    • MASTER OF SHAPES AND SEEMINGS - he can, at a whim, become a howling gale, a great grey wolf, a child, a giant, or you, even. Those night-filled eyes never change, but he can lay a spell upon you such that you don't notice until it's too late...

GEAR
    • Many artifact weapons of terrible power, each with their own enchantments. Also, they have the Melee tag, generally- except for Blinding, which has Ranged.
    • A clever plan (1 use) which he may use to reveal a trap or escape route. Really, if you’d just been paying attention, you would have noticed it.
    • A Traitor (1 use) who dramatically reveals their allegiance and betrays the Fellowship.

Agenda: Ultimate Power. Hyperborea gets colder by the day. Riders go where they please, seeking beautiful things to steal and carry off to their king, humiliating every champion who dares stand up to them. Soon, if not checked, Oberon will feel confident enough - and potent enough - to challenge Ourania’s champions directly, and then there shall be winter without end.

Army: The Organization. Your average Rider isn't a serious threat to a Princess-Champion. Again, they're mostly just people, if an alien people. No, his army consists largely of his children, the princesses (and prince) of the Riders, equal to any challenge he sets before them.

General: Princess Azora Howl. Presently most favored of Oberon's children, Azora Howl is the foremost witch of the Riders, and maintains her position as her father's second-in-command by tactical use of her siblings and the careful unraveling of various protective spells wrapped around Hyperborea and Argossa.

Weakness: The Dolorous Song. Sing before him a song that makes him weep. Undo his justifications and self-confidence, make him feel regret and shame for what he has done, leave him a tired and friendless old man, and his power will melt like the spring thaw. Sing to him the song from beyond the coils of Ouroboros, which shall undo his heart.

Known Children:
    • Azora Howl, foremost witch among the Riders and his second-in-command. She's scary!
    • Morgina Fang, who is a were-void-wolf; maybe the journey changed her, or maybe she was born wrong. Her skin opens up into more star-filled eyes and tusk-bristling mouths and she bleeds shadows in her wake when she's upset. Super scary.
    • Kaja Ironpelt, who is really big, really strong, and really gay. Wants to commit illegal kiss crimes without her dad finding out about them.
    • Eska Glinteye, who likes machines and plans and perfect 360 noscopes, and hates friendship, which isn't even an emotion, you idiots.
    • Cassian Fleet, who is spoiled rotten and likes flower arrangement and masked balls and manicures.
    • Asteria Spite, who is strict and dramatic and likes making people clean her boots. Super mean!
    • Ninian Jadetongue, who inherited all her dad's shapeshifting prowess and none of his gravitas; mostly sits on things which are not designed to be sat on and practices looking innocent.
    • Kazelia Swiftlance, who listened to the Singers and may yet save her sisters.
    freedom in the flame

Spoiler
    Show

20. - Top - End - #80

So this is an entirely academic point because my Sense is damaged and I'm rolling with despair anyway, but I don't agree with this:

Mist-haunted. Attempts to Look Closely are rolled with Despair, here. Yes, even yours, Adila, though you still have the right to Look Closely from afar.
    Like, Eyes of Fire does one thing: It lets me see through mist and darkness. There are no mechanics associated with it! It's entirely a narrative positioning move. Telling me that there's mist I can't see through is like saying there's a magical fire that hurts me despite being immune to it; it's creating a special circumstance to negate literally the only thing that move does.
    Last edited by Thanqol; 2019-06-09 at 08:35 PM.

21. - Top - End - #81
    Ettin in the Playground

So this is an entirely academic point because my Sense is damaged and I'm rolling with despair anyway
    Oh! Your character sheet still has 2/3 Fruit so I somehow got it into my head you’d Filled Your Belly in Askaia City; since my intention was to give you that breather, you can go ahead and do that retroactively if you like.

Like, Eyes of Fire does one thing: It lets me see through mist and darkness. There are no mechanics associated with it! It's entirely a narrative positioning move. Telling me that there's mist I can't see through is like saying there's a magical fire that hurts me despite being immune to it; it's creating a special circumstance to negate literally the only thing that move does.
    There is a mechanical effect to EoF, actually; you can Look Closely at any place within eyesight, no matter how far. Combined with the cutting through mist, you have the freedom in this scene to look anywhere you like, the camp or the estate or the hill, from any of the three, and see what’s happening there at a glance, and Look Closely there.

The Despair is my way of saying, rather: this is a place that wants to reveal unpleasant truths. This is a place that wants to reveal danger. This is a place that wants to distract you and mislead you. It is corrupt. But you can risk it, if you like, if you need; because you are the Dragon, with Eyes of Fire, and no one else in this scene can do what you can.
    freedom in the flame

Spoiler
    Show

22. - Top - End - #82

Oh! Your character sheet still has 2/3 Fruit so I somehow got it into my head you’d Filled Your Belly in Askaia City; since my intention was to give you that breather, you can go ahead and do that retroactively if you like.
    My thought patterns are dumb and contradictory and tried to make that a much more complicated choice than it should have been. I'll heal the damage.

There is a mechanical effect to EoF, actually; you can Look Closely at any place within eyesight, no matter how far. Combined with the cutting through mist, you have the freedom in this scene to look anywhere you like, the camp or the estate or the hill, from any of the three, and see what’s happening there at a glance, and Look Closely there.

The Despair is my way of saying, rather: this is a place that wants to reveal unpleasant truths. This is a place that wants to reveal danger. This is a place that wants to distract you and mislead you. It is corrupt. But you can risk it, if you like, if you need; because you are the Dragon, with Eyes of Fire, and no one else in this scene can do what you can.
    Alright. I took issue because the move phrases it as specifically being an aspect of the mists; if it was phrased as 'A Vile and Wicked Glade' I wouldn't have noticed.

23. - Top - End - #83
    Ettin in the Playground

I'm actually looking at this and wondering if maybe the non-Adilas in the room shouldn't be hit a little harder? Like, between the thick mist and the rushing waterfall and the nostalgic headtrip and the general ick I don't think Alina is even kind of fictionally positioned to even make a Look Closely roll right now. I assume "to do it you, have to do it" is still a basic principle in this game, yes?

edit: Hi, my name is Phoe and my hobby is unnecessarily angling for handicaps at extremely inopportune moments. I do not understand what makes me tick
    Last edited by PhoeKun; 2019-06-09 at 10:39 PM.

24. - Top - End - #84
    Ettin in the Playground

My thought patterns are dumb and contradictory and tried to make that a much more complicated choice than it should have been. I'll heal the damage.
    Aces!

Alright. I took issue because the move phrases it as specifically being an aspect of the mists; if it was phrased as 'A Vile and Wicked Glade' I wouldn't have noticed.
    I’m a dumb, news at 11

I'm actually looking at this and wondering if maybe the non-Adilas in the room shouldn't be hit a little harder? Like, between the thick mist and the rushing waterfall and the nostalgic headtrip and the general ick I don't think Alina is even kind of fictionally positioned to even make a Look Closely roll right now. I assume "to do it you, have to do it" is still a basic principle in this game, yes?
    Yeah, but if you suddenly end up near a Rider patrol or get so lost you walk into Asteria’s tent you should still be able to Look Closely, if you have a moment to stop and actually look! The trick is finding them before they find you, at that range.

Quote Originally Posted by PhoeKun
    edit: Hi, my name is Phoe and my hobby is unnecessarily angling for handicaps at extremely inopportune moments. I do not understand what makes me tick
    I wouldn’t have it any other way.
    freedom in the flame

Spoiler
    Show

25. - Top - End - #85

Unsure what to roll here if anything, potentially an Overcome? If it's that I got a 10.

26. - Top - End - #86

Purely a personal feeling, and possibly a curmudgeonly one, but posts with multiple moves in them like Anarion's just there feel incredibly awkward to me. It's moving through an interesting scene extremely quickly and decisively when I really want to see how this all plays out a bit more.

27. - Top - End - #87
    Ettin in the Playground

Purely a personal feeling, and possibly a curmudgeonly one, but posts with multiple moves in them like Anarion's just there feel incredibly awkward to me. It's moving through an interesting scene extremely quickly and decisively when I really want to see how this all plays out a bit more.
    Well, I generally agree, which is why when Annie mentioned he wanted to do multiple things there in the ol’ Discord I sat down with him and worked through what he wanted to do in the fiction. Don’t worry, he ran most of it well by me first.
    freedom in the flame

Spoiler
    Show

28. - Top - End - #88

Well, I generally agree, which is why when Annie mentioned he wanted to do multiple things there in the ol’ Discord I sat down with him and worked through what he wanted to do in the fiction. Don’t worry, he ran most of it well by me first.
    Oh, yeah, I'm sure that happened. But I still think it's really awkward in terms of pacing and flow.

I have a sense that it's pushing the system's boundaries in a gamey way rather than letting the individual narrative beats breathe. I have the associated worry that if I also start treating the system that, hmm, roughly then I could blow through encounters that I narratively shouldn't be able to.
    Last edited by Thanqol; 2019-06-10 at 09:38 PM.

29. - Top - End - #89
    Ettin in the Playground

Oh, yeah, I'm sure that happened. But I still think it's really awkward in terms of pacing and flow.

I have a sense that it's pushing the system's boundaries in a gamey way rather than letting the individual narrative beats breathe. I have the associated worry that if I also start treating the system that, hmm, roughly then I could blow through encounters that I narratively shouldn't be able to.
    Then be like me and don't push the system like that. Set the pace and all that jazz.

But man, you've gotta de-grump a little bit. I understand these are for real concerns you have and I'm not trying to sell them short but you've struck me as being uncomfortably combative over the course of this game so far and I think you could do with a step back and a breath before you come highlighting the way this or that play shines a dangerous light against your principles
    Last edited by PhoeKun; 2019-06-10 at 09:51 PM.

30. - Top - End - #90

Then be like me and don't push the system like that. Set the pace and all that jazz.

But man, you've gotta de-grump a little bit. I understand these are for real concerns you have and I'm not trying to sell them short but you've struck me as being uncomfortably combative over the course of this game so far and I think you could do with a step back and a breath before you come highlighting the way this or that play shines a dangerous light against your principles
    Feedback taken