The Order of the Stick: Utterly Dwarfed
The Order of the Stick: Utterly Dwarfed - Coming in December and available for pre-order now
Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #121
    Colossus in the Playground

Default Re: [OOC] Princess-Champions of Hyperborea

Quote Originally Posted by Raz_Fox View Post
    How are we at, Thanqol? Might be time to fade out on the exploration of the cave and talk about lanterns. Where’s your read of the pacing at right now?
    I am taking an extremely mandatory rest day so I'm not thinking very hard or clearly.

So my big thought is that this is the place I was setting up to contain a revelation about the nature of magic in this world. There needs to be some sort of revelation here and you're the only one who can drop something like that; something that the two princesses can learn that will set the pace for sharing magic and setting the pace for future discoveries.

Also I'd like some more detail on what this place is in general! I'm not entirely clear what vibe I'm meant to be taking away from it yet so I'd like just a little more tone-setting.

Thinking about it a bit more, if this was a show then the pacing would be A) Discover hidden temple B) Poke around a bit C) Discover mystic magical source D) Moment of wonder that causes some sort of reconfiguration of the island, maybe shooting a rainbow laser into the sky etc, E) Small gesture to contribute to the mystical wonder source. I'm not sure if I'm making sense here. Basically my plan was all about getting us to this point, I'd like you to push your agenda a bit instead.
    Soldiers, no poor sap ever won a war by dying for his country. He won it by being all that he can be. Damn the torpedoes, or give us death. Eternal vigilance is the price of duty and to the victors go the spoils. So remember: you are the best of the few and the proud. So ask not what our country can do, only regret that we have but one life to live.

2. - Top - End - #122
    Ettin in the Playground

Ah, that makes sense. I also had no plan here to reveal magical secrets, but a wish is a wish.

I think this is how it is. I have made references to ley lines, to flows of power that gird Hyperborea. I also have said that if magic is the blood of Hyperborea, then by extension the mountain-tree Argossa must be the heart, as the agency by which magic is compelled to move and saturate the world.

And here, in this place- which is cryptic, difficult to find clear answers for, whatever theories you might have about a secret Proto-Watch room with a statue of a Time Dragon and an alcove depicting Probably Adila I, where an entire wall is shaped by the root of Argossa which surfaces in the shrine above- that magic is deep and rich and subtle.

I also think that if there is to be an exhalation of magic here, it will be as you watch lanterns float upwards into the sky, and the night wind curls petals of living crystal about you. The abandoned shrine above is what I want to emphasize; the hidden temple is a bit of mystery, something for Adila to theorize about and share with her companions in the Watch when she returns to the Bazaar.

I don’t think you should go very loud here; I think that the sharing of magic will be the sort of thing that is soft and personal, here; Alina helping Adila coax a light from her heart, Adila asking Alina’s lights to be as strong as a dragon.

That’s how I see it, anyhow!

EDIT: Phoe has also suggested I provide a Power Source, so shall I do

EDIT EDIT: ironically, rambling about why I hadn’t provided a mystic power source gave me the mystic power source. the Magic was inside me all along!
    Last edited by Raz_Fox; 2019-06-27 at 01:32 AM.
    freedom in the flame

Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by PhoeKun View Post
    Raz, you scoundrel! You planned this!
    Quote Originally Posted by BladeofObliviom View Post
    Great, and now I'm imagining what Raz's profile on a dating site would look like. "Must be okay with veils."
    Quote Originally Posted by Kasanip View Post
    I don't think there is such a time to have veils that it is not the fault of Raz_Fox.
    Quote Originally Posted by Dervag View Post
    It's a freaking Romulan dump truck. The Romulans are no more likely to build an unarmed warp-capable ship than they are to become a hippy commune.

3. - Top - End - #123
    Ettin in the Playground

I have some really clear images I want to present in this scene as it's set up right now but I need like 1 or 2 more posts to make it feel right. If we could somehow wind up back above ground at the shrine proper while I'm getting there, that'd be wonderful

4. - Top - End - #124

I have some really clear images I want to present in this scene as it's set up right now but I need like 1 or 2 more posts to make it feel right. If we could somehow wind up back above ground at the shrine proper while I'm getting there, that'd be wonderful
    Sounds good! I'll follow your vision.
    Soldiers, no poor sap ever won a war by dying for his country. He won it by being all that he can be. Damn the torpedoes, or give us death. Eternal vigilance is the price of duty and to the victors go the spoils. So remember: you are the best of the few and the proud. So ask not what our country can do, only regret that we have but one life to live.

5. - Top - End - #125

I finally figured out what Adila's advance is!

Unique Upbringing to get her Fast Friends from the Squire playbook. Also taking Friendship is Magic as an additional agenda.

Do you mind if I retroactively add bonds with Liza and her friends as per?

6. - Top - End - #126

Also, quick question: Phoe, is Alina going to do something explicit trigger the power exchange, or should I have Adila come into that herself at this moment?

7. - Top - End - #127
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Thanqol View Post
    Also, quick question: Phoe, is Alina going to do something explicit trigger the power exchange, or should I have Adila come into that herself at this moment?
    She's already passed the spark, it's on Adila to figure out she's carrying it.

8. - Top - End - #128

She's already passed the spark, it's on Adila to figure out she's carrying it.
    Gotcha, will do the thing!

9. - Top - End - #129
    Ettin in the Playground

I finally figured out what Adila's advance is!

Unique Upbringing to get her Fast Friends from the Squire playbook. Also taking Friendship is Magic as an additional agenda.

Do you mind if I retroactively add bonds with Liza and her friends as per?
    Unfortunately, in 2E, the various “take another move” moves have been changed from “take a Core move” to “take a Custom move.” Which in most cases is good, but in this case, woof.

On the plus side, though, the Knight Destiny gives you all the Squire core moves as an Advancement...
    freedom in the flame

Spoiler
    Show
    Great, and now I'm imagining what Raz's profile on a dating site would look like. "Must be okay with veils."
    I don't think there is such a time to have veils that it is not the fault of Raz_Fox.
    It's a freaking Romulan dump truck. The Romulans are no more likely to build an unarmed warp-capable ship than they are to become a hippy commune.

10. - Top - End - #130

Unfortunately, in 2E, the various “take another move” moves have been changed from “take a Core move” to “take a Custom move.” Which in most cases is good, but in this case, woof.

On the plus side, though, the Knight Destiny gives you all the Squire core moves as an Advancement...
    *Sad trombone*

I guess I won't be good at making friends until level five.

11. - Top - End - #131

I am happy to end scene on that note!

Guess I'm just going to take Treasure Hoard after all.

12. - Top - End - #132
    Titan in the Playground

I am happy to end scene on that note!

Guess I'm just going to take Treasure Hoard after all.
    You can just buy friends, it's practically the same.
    School Fox by Atlur

Quote Originally Posted by The Giant View Post
    Anarion's right on the money here.
    Quotes

"Man is least himself when he talks in his own person. Give him a mask, and he will tell you the truth.”
    Oscar Wilde Writer & Poet (1891)

13. - Top - End - #133
    Ettin in the Playground

I’ve got a decent handle on Juniper Blue and Brookley. What’s the Captain herself like, Thanqol?
    freedom in the flame

Spoiler
    Show

14. - Top - End - #134

I’ve got a decent handle on Juniper Blue and Brookley. What’s the Captain herself like, Thanqol?
    I've couched every statement about her carefully in ambiguity, never once speculating on what she's like as a person. That's kind of how the Watch overall interacts with her - she's apart. Nobody ever calls her by her name (it's not clear if anyone even knows it), nobody ever jokes around with her, the room always goes quiet whenever she enters. Sometimes people argue in her presence but when she makes a decision it's done. She never needs to raise her voice, generally listens much more than she speaks, and never lets anything slip as to what she's thinking.

She also approaches problems in a very different way to the rest of the Watch. She does things like they used to back when they were an army. Her plans are military, not police, and she generally only gets directly involved when there's a call for that sort of thing. She also has a stockpile of strange old magic and weapons that she sometimes brings out to spooky effect. Nobody has ever quit the Watch and rumour is that's because she makes everyone swear their oath in front of a magical banner.

She is the old ways, and the only one who really keeps her company is the Annalist. The Watch would have dissolved a long time ago if it wasn't for her. She's also very old, hence the increased discussion over the Watch's future - and she seems not to think it's her place to end that argument one way or another.
    Last edited by Thanqol; 2019-07-07 at 07:13 PM.

15. - Top - End - #135

I'm going to edit that post to go into more detail, the basic action will remain the same.

16. - Top - End - #136

Done the edit!

17. - Top - End - #137
    Ettin in the Playground

Done the edit!
    And it’s fantastic, kudos. I’m majorly impressed.
    freedom in the flame

Spoiler
    Show

18. - Top - End - #138
    Ettin in the Playground

I know that’s a little short, Thanqol, but I am very eagerly awaiting your next post, because then I get to start fleshing out the Watch with you, and the Captain gets to hit the scene. Eeeee!
    freedom in the flame

Spoiler
    Show

19. - Top - End - #139

I need to wait on Anarion before I can proceed

20. - Top - End - #140
    Ettin in the Playground

Calling them the Old Bastards keeps tripping my kid’s show sensibilities, but, uh, also, I can’t say “that’s inappropriate” with a straight face while Alina is simultaneously being molested by a snake.
    freedom in the flame

Spoiler
    Show

21. - Top - End - #141

Calling them the Old Bastards keeps tripping my kid’s show sensibilities, but, uh, also, I can’t say “that’s inappropriate” with a straight face while Alina is simultaneously being molested by a snake.
    Hoisted by your own petard!

I don't think of bastard as a dirty word - but then, I'm Australian.
    Last edited by Thanqol; 2019-07-11 at 08:26 PM.

22. - Top - End - #142

Adila!

Sounds like you’re Talking Sense to me. Gracefully, even: dazzling them with your amazing pulling of rank. That’s something you’re really good at, right?
    It's a good call for the move, but I'd argue* the opposite stat applies; Princess Adila is detailing her plan - take the Captain in to custody - and their place in it - dutifully following her orders. It's as blunt as is possible and there is no trickery or dazzling whatsoever; That's the +Sense Talk Sense. The +Grace version would be something like 'oh, captain, wouldn't you mind just following me over to meet my good friend Princess Kazelia in private just for a few minutes?'

I rolled a base of a 5 so with +2 sense it hits a 7.

* If you feel strongly about the opposite I can be convinced

23. - Top - End - #143
    Titan in the Playground

The key difference between this scene and the Asteria scene for Kazelia's reaction is that Kazelia does not believe that anything she's doing in the waiting room is helping Adila. She endured Asteria to keep her distracted, but the Princess handmaidens are just hurting Kazelia and she sees no value in letting them keep on harassing her when they weren't permitted in with the captain anyway.

If you're looking for a more playful scene with Kazelia in the future, it needs to come when she's not so on edge. Her default response to stress is anger.
    Last edited by Anarion; 2019-07-11 at 09:21 PM.
    School Fox by Atlur

Quotes

"Man is least himself when he talks in his own person. Give him a mask, and he will tell you the truth.”

24. - Top - End - #144
    Ettin in the Playground

It's a good call for the move, but I'd argue* the opposite stat applies; Princess Adila is detailing her plan - take the Captain in to custody - and their place in it - dutifully following her orders. It's as blunt as is possible and there is no trickery or dazzling whatsoever; That's the +Sense Talk Sense. The +Grace version would be something like 'oh, captain, wouldn't you mind just following me over to meet my good friend Princess Kazelia in private just for a few minutes?'

I rolled a base of a 5 so with +2 sense it hits a 7.

* If you feel strongly about the opposite I can be convinced
    I think the deciding factor is: how confident is Adila that this is going to work? I associate laying out the plan with “if everybody listens and thinks about it, of course they’ll agree.” I kinda read that post as Adila trying to lean on “of course I can pull rank here and get the Old Bastards to do it before they have the chance to think about it.”

If the former, +Sense; if the latter, +Grace. The major difference will be how many of the OBs insist on accompanying you on the rest of your investigation.
    freedom in the flame

Spoiler
    Show

25. - Top - End - #145

I think the deciding factor is: how confident is Adila that this is going to work? I associate laying out the plan with “if everybody listens and thinks about it, of course they’ll agree.” I kinda read that post as Adila trying to lean on “of course I can pull rank here and get the Old Bastards to do it before they have the chance to think about it.”

If the former, +Sense; if the latter, +Grace. The major difference will be how many of the OBs insist on accompanying you on the rest of your investigation.
    It's definitely #1. The vibe throughout this scene is that Adila's been doing things by the book; it is sensible Watch protocol to take someone out to a wizard if they're accused of being mind controlled. Adila is confident that if everyone thinks about this for a few minutes then they'll all agree that it's worth being on the safe side. Pulling rank on the Captain isn't so much meant as an 'oh SNAP! No she didn't!' it's more like, 'if the Captain gives a direct order stating that she doesn't want to be examined for mental influence then that's a very bad sign for her seeming not mentally influenced'.

So Adila is basically turning her back on the Old Bastards because she's convinced they'll do the right thing. The only people she is worried about are the Captain kung-fu-old-lady'ing the entire room with her sticks or Sgt. Batty making things get weird. The way she sees it there isn't a scenario where the Old Bastards go 'oh, wait a minute, actually we are being tricked and there is no way the Captain is being mind controlled, Adila is just trying to sneak something by us.'

EDIT: That's actually a really good dividing line to figure out which one it is.
    Last edited by Thanqol; 2019-07-11 at 10:27 PM.

26. - Top - End - #146
    Ettin in the Playground

It's definitely #1. The vibe throughout this scene is that Adila's been doing things by the book; it is sensible Watch protocol to take someone out to a wizard if they're accused of being mind controlled. Adila is confident that if everyone thinks about this for a few minutes then they'll all agree that it's worth being on the safe side. Pulling rank on the Captain isn't so much meant as an 'oh SNAP! No she didn't!' it's more like, 'if the Captain gives a direct order stating that she doesn't want to be examined for mental influence then that's a very bad sign for her seeming not mentally influenced'.

So Adila is basically turning her back on the Old Bastards because she's convinced they'll do the right thing. The only people she is worried about are the Captain kung-fu-old-lady'ing the entire room with her sticks or Sgt. Batty making things get weird. The way she sees it there isn't a scenario where the Old Bastards go 'oh, wait a minute, actually we are being tricked and there is no way the Captain is being mind controlled, Adila is just trying to sneak something by us.'

EDIT: That's actually a really good dividing line to figure out which one it is.
    Thank you. I’ll reverse the ruling and call it +Sense, meaning you get a little bit of a reprieve. A little bit.
    freedom in the flame

Spoiler
    Show

27. - Top - End - #147

+The least of them is a mastermind capable of unravelling the threads of an entire kingdom if left unchecked.+
    This is the sentence that I want to cut directly to Princess Alina the House of Hospitality on.
    Last edited by Thanqol; 2019-07-15 at 08:32 PM.

28. - Top - End - #148
    Titan in the Playground

This is the sentence that I want to cut directly to Princess Alina the House of Hospitality on.
    Objectively, this is the only possible correct choice.
    School Fox by Atlur

Quotes

29. - Top - End - #149
    Ettin in the Playground

I agree! That turned out right. Go ahead and give us a description of the House so I can get you situated properly.
    freedom in the flame

Spoiler
    Show

30. - Top - End - #150

I agree! That turned out right. Go ahead and give us a description of the House so I can get you situated properly.
    Oh, sure! I was assuming you had ideas but I'll happily write something.