The Order of the Stick: Utterly Dwarfed
The Order of the Stick: Utterly Dwarfed - Coming in December and available for pre-order now
Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #151
    Ettin in the Playground

Default Re: [OOC] Princess-Champions of Hyperborea

Quote Originally Posted by Thanqol View Post
    Oh, sure! I was assuming you had ideas but I'll happily write something.
    I am drunk with power. Specifically, the power to make my friends write cool things.
    freedom in the flame

Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by PhoeKun View Post
    Raz, you scoundrel! You planned this!
    Quote Originally Posted by BladeofObliviom View Post
    Great, and now I'm imagining what Raz's profile on a dating site would look like. "Must be okay with veils."
    Quote Originally Posted by Kasanip View Post
    I don't think there is such a time to have veils that it is not the fault of Raz_Fox.
    Quote Originally Posted by Dervag View Post
    It's a freaking Romulan dump truck. The Romulans are no more likely to build an unarmed warp-capable ship than they are to become a hippy commune.

2. - Top - End - #152
    Colossus in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Raz_Fox View Post
    I am drunk with power. Specifically, the power to make my friends write cool things.
    Will we ever be free from this tyranny
    Some stories are to tell. Some stories are to keep.

3. - Top - End - #153
    Titan in the Playground

Thanqol, you referenced standard Watch procedure for dealing with shapeshifters in your transformation post. What is that procedure? Is it specifically that Kazelia and Adila can’t be separated while investigating? Or is it that no person should be left alone? I need to know because Kazelia won’t go outside with Tashanna if she was instructed to stay with Adila, but otherwise she will.
    School Fox by Atlur

Quote Originally Posted by The Giant View Post
    Anarion's right on the money here.
    Quotes

"Man is least himself when he talks in his own person. Give him a mask, and he will tell you the truth.”
    Oscar Wilde Writer & Poet (1891)

4. - Top - End - #154

Quote Originally Posted by Anarion View Post
    Thanqol, you referenced standard Watch procedure for dealing with shapeshifters in your transformation post. What is that procedure? Is it specifically that Kazelia and Adila can’t be separated while investigating? Or is it that no person should be left alone? I need to know because Kazelia won’t go outside with Tashanna if she was instructed to stay with Adila, but otherwise she will.
    Oh yeah, good point - if the Operations Manual has one piece of advice it's 'Do not go into a room alone with a potential shapeshifter'.

(But honestly, feel free to disregard and trust in your Princess-ness to get you through, Adila won't be mad about it. This line of thinking easily tilts towards detailing patrol schedules which isn't in genre or system).

5. - Top - End - #155

I think I'm waiting on a Raz post

6. - Top - End - #156
    Ettin in the Playground

I think I'm waiting on a Raz post
    Baller! I was just coming here to ask if you needed me to help shuffle and rearrange things.
    freedom in the flame

Spoiler
    Show
    Great, and now I'm imagining what Raz's profile on a dating site would look like. "Must be okay with veils."
    I don't think there is such a time to have veils that it is not the fault of Raz_Fox.
    It's a freaking Romulan dump truck. The Romulans are no more likely to build an unarmed warp-capable ship than they are to become a hippy commune.

7. - Top - End - #157

Baller! I was just coming here to ask if you needed me to help shuffle and rearrange things.
    Please do, a warm reset would be very appreciated.

8. - Top - End - #158

Hey Raz, quick question about your answer there:

The way you've written things makes it sound like going after Ninan is a bit of a dead end; that Adila doesn't have a clear lead on where she is or which way she's going and so if she goes out after her into the street then she'll be blundering around blindly. If this is a correct read, then the only move is to go to the Watch and co-ordinate with them; there's no way to justify continuing a hunt with no lead whatsoever.

If this is what you want and the correct move is to go to the Watch, thumbs up, I can do that. If you wanted to present the scene as a moral choice, though, or have this be an Adila disobeys orders to do something important, one side has all the ammunition in the absence of a clear and present lead.

Just checking what your intent is!

9. - Top - End - #159
    Ettin in the Playground

Hey Raz, quick question about your answer there:

The way you've written things makes it sound like going after Ninan is a bit of a dead end; that Adila doesn't have a clear lead on where she is or which way she's going and so if she goes out after her into the street then she'll be blundering around blindly. If this is a correct read, then the only move is to go to the Watch and co-ordinate with them; there's no way to justify continuing a hunt with no lead whatsoever.

If this is what you want and the correct move is to go to the Watch, thumbs up, I can do that. If you wanted to present the scene as a moral choice, though, or have this be an Adila disobeys orders to do something important, one side has all the ammunition in the absence of a clear and present lead.

Just checking what your intent is!
    That’s the correct call! It’s less a moral choice, though you can tear yourself up over it; it’s “when you gotta go, you gotta go.”

I had to stack it a little, as I think haring out after Ninian would bring you crashing into the Kazelia/Alina side of things, and you were interested in making this a more Watch-centric scene, and if I didn’t pitch it that way you’d say something like “okay, I fly out and use my special eyes to figure out where Ninian is exactly, I rolled a 12 Raz” =p
    freedom in the flame

Spoiler
    Show

10. - Top - End - #160

That’s the correct call! It’s less a moral choice, though you can tear yourself up over it; it’s “when you gotta go, you gotta go.”

I had to stack it a little, as I think haring out after Ninian would bring you crashing into the Kazelia/Alina side of things, and you were interested in making this a more Watch-centric scene, and if I didn’t pitch it that way you’d say something like “okay, I fly out and use my special eyes to figure out where Ninian is exactly, I rolled a 12 Raz” =p
    Bodacious, just checking

11. - Top - End - #161

I was really hoping that I failed that dice roll, but I don't know if it would have made things better if I did

12. - Top - End - #162
    Ettin in the Playground

I was really hoping that I failed that dice roll, but I don't know if it would have made things better if I did
    That one hurt a bunch.

13. - Top - End - #163

Fantastic issue, Raz. I am continuously unbelievably hyped for this game and everything in it.

I've got some general mechanical-y thoughts:

Advancement

The Dragon has two stat advancement options; courage by +1 and any stat by +1. I'm holding off on each of those because those are Adila's big character development advances; she'll advance Courage when she's learned to be honest with her feelings, and learn Grace when she learns what it is to truly master something instead of giving up following an early setback.

Ideally she picks the Courage advance up at the end of the next episode. Then it's probably the Knight destiny. The Grace advance represents the resolution to her fundamental character flaw and accordingly it's almost endgame content.

As a result I've got one advance here which isn't tied directly to a character beat. I'm probably going to take Dragon Magic and flavour it as lingering reality-distorting devilhouse powers.

End of Session

Kazelia looks like she's extremely tapped out - she's down one stat and has basically none of her gear left (no food, no healing, no horsie, only 1 bauble). Adila is somewhat taxed - down two stats and all of Brill's stats.

Phoe, you haven't updated your sheet in forever (pre-Askatia because there's no advancements marked) so I've got no idea what your resources are looking like.

 Did we save or protect a community in need?
     Did we strike a blow against the Overlord and their minions?
     Did we learn more about the world and its peoples?

I think that we definitely did #3, but 1 and 2 need to have a whole lotta asterisks behind them. I think there's a case to be made that we should get only 2/3 of those options and use them both on levelling for thematic reasons even if we could effectively argue for all three. Here's what I'm thinking:

Currently, and in the narrative pacing of Fellowship, we're extremely due for a loss. The next episode should have us go up against the Overlord or a General and have our butts completely kicked. Due to the mechanical rhythm, story structure, and the unresolved tension for a bunch of characters - especially Adila - we're due for either a decisive loss or an extremely narrow victory/escape that leaves us totally tapped out of all our resources and forces a Downtime sequence.

I am slightly concerned, though, that if we get a gear refresh option here on account of getting all three options we're at risk of short-circuiting that narrative rhythm. Specifically, it'd let Kazelia refresh her food, which she could then share with Adila to restore 100% of both our stat damages, Adila could refresh Brill, and if Alina is mostly full up then we're strangely close to full effectiveness. It feels a bit more mechanically resonant to go into the next session with a bit of damage still on our sheets and the knowledge that's mechanically setting us up for a 'the heroes are overextended' narrative beat.

Bonds

The standard for forging Bonds is really low "Bonds are super easy to make and the fellowship should be making new ones constantly." That said, given that one of the themes for this game is uniting squabbling Princesses I'm not sure if recruiting them should play by the same rules? I don't know if the right narrative vibe here is, say, Princess Dandy comes with us, or if it's more like we need to have a Feloria episode before she joins us proper, or what.

A big part of the reason I wanted to grab a Squire Core move with previous advances before it got errata'd was because Fast Friends would let me short circuit that question - and I think better reflect the way Adila interacts with other people. The fact that I can't properly mechanically represent the way Adila makes friends until level 6 (Knight, and then three Squire Moves as a single advance) is a continuously weird stumbling point for me. I'd really like to take Fast Friends on credit or something - it doesn't represent any clear mechanical advantage and there's a lot of jank associated with being unable to take it now (will a bunch of people recruited now through Adila-bonds abruptly leave the fellowship if she acquires it later? etc).
    Last edited by Thanqol; 2019-08-20 at 12:01 AM.

14. - Top - End - #164
    Ettin in the Playground

More thoughts on this later after sleep.

Phoe, you haven't updated your sheet in forever (pre-Askatia because there's no advancements marked) so I've got no idea what your resources are looking like.
    Yeah sorry about that, I was just updating it tonight. The quickie breakdown is that Alina is undamaged but is down to 1 food, 1 spell (Shadow), her armor, and 3 throwing knives. Everything else that's expendable is gone.

15. - Top - End - #165

Yeah sorry about that, I was just updating it tonight. The quickie breakdown is that Alina is undamaged but is down to 1 food, 1 spell (Shadow), her armor, and 3 throwing knives. Everything else that's expendable is gone.
    Cool, that's more damage than I expected. It means we probably wouldn't short circuit the mechanics if we did a gear refresh but I still suspect it's preferable to not have one for pacing reasons.
    Last edited by Thanqol; 2019-08-20 at 12:29 AM.

16. - Top - End - #166
    Ettin in the Playground

One thing I am considering, and rambled more about in the Discord, is having another minisode— this one being “our heroes lose, big and painful and explosive, and also Oberon completes a Scheme with the help of Mastermind.
    freedom in the flame

Spoiler
    Show

17. - Top - End - #167
    Titan in the Playground

Some thoughts on my end.

Advancement
    If I level now, I'll probably take either "you shall not pass" or a stat boost, maybe to blood or wisdom. Kazelia's stat boosts don't have any particular meaning to me, so they're easy advances that just make her actions a bit more likely to succeed. You shall not pass is her finding a new way to focus her magic, but it's completely in keeping with existing shadow and ice powers and probably just requires her to have some insight about ways to fight alone more effectively.

The one that I'm sitting on and not taking is "take an end of days, oracle, or witch custom" which I could do at any time and is the most mechanically optimal. My current plan is to at some point have a meeting with Ourania that unlocks some of the fire within Kazelia and refluffs her powers to be less horrific void in nature and more to have a little bit of that fire and light of hope manifest within her, and to take the End of Days move It's the End of the World as we Know it, which means you never roll with Despair no matter what. Then Kazelia could use her magic freely and be aggressive and be totally effective right up until she's completely knocked out.

Another alternative if Oberon pushes this in a more bleak direction is to take "Are we Not the Same, You and I" and gain that overlord stat. I would take this if I wanted to force a confrontation with the Overlord, and it would mean that using is weakness would be a self-damaging thing, leading to either a negotiated offer you can't refuse or an "I'll do anything to stop you!" moment where Kazelia harms her own newfound power to hurt Oberon in a meaningful way.

In either case though, the End of Days move isn't something I'm ready to take now, though I'd like to put out there that I'm looking for a narrative way to get there as being able to take a Destiny playbook move right off the bat at level 2-3 is a big advantage of the Harbinger playbook that I'd be foregoing if I just took +1 blood or something.

End of Session

Because of the above, I'd actually be pretty happy not having Kazelia level up at all right now. If we picked something like refresh gear and heal a stat, that would suit me just fine. That would mean that the Overlord might not be able to take Mastermind right now though, which may not be in keeping with what the rest of the group is looking at. But, if we do pick the level up option only once, I'd rather Kazelia not level.

I also feel somewhat uncomfortable choosing what we collectively believe to be an inferior option for end of session because it's the more likely route to a certain narrative. That's very much the opposite of my approach to games. I want to try our best to stop the Overlord and have our defeats come from the fact that the Overlord is big and scary and we might have to make decisions with imperfect information and play out character agendas that lead to suboptimal results. But when we're making a mechanical choice, we should be trying our best to stop the Overlord at every turn. Or at least that's how I prefer to approach the game, I can certainly be outvoted.

Also, on the thing about whether we got 2 or 3 end of session moves, I'm unsure. I agree with Thanqol that we definitely learned more about the world and its peoples. I think we did strike a blow against the Overlord's minions, we walked out of the session with Ninian bound and imprisoned, and the Black Princess saved. I'm uncertain if we saved a community in need. We "saved" the Bazaar, but at the cost of the Snake Husband and probably made things worse for Jedad unintentionally. So...yeah I'd say that's the one we maybe didn't get, though it's not totally clear.

Also, Raz, was there a community here that we got Fellowship with? Both the Watch and the Bazaar seem like communities that we interacted with pretty heavily and whose problems we helped to solve, and Jedad feels too big (unlike Askaia) for us to get Fellowship with all of Jedad or nothing. If we didn't manage to get Fellowship, did we interact with a community enough to understand what their problems are so that we can fit solving them into our to do list?

Bonds
    Thanqol a bond thing. Since Kazelia can only have one bond with everyone, I'd like to rewrite her bond to be something about working together to protect Helya. That cool with you?

Raz, I'd like to write a bond with princess Kyouko. We had a nice time together. I would suggest as a matter of PBP functionality that "join your cause as a Companion" doesn't actually mean that they need to travel with us (this might also address some of Thanqol's concerns). I think it means that they support us in a way that we, the players can mechanically call upon when they're around. So like, if I have a Kyouko bond and we encounter her somewhere down the line, I have a mechanical way to call upon her help. If that's cool, I'd like to write something like "Kazelia and Kyouko shared a lovely meal together."

I'm very much thinking of this in some ways like a Chuubo's bond, in that if you write "X character is our companion" as a truth that's in the hands of the players, it's not something that ever comes up in the world until such time as the player makes it so. But it creates a mechanical hook for us to call upon them when it's narratively appropriate and advantages us when we do.

One thing I am considering, and rambled more about in the Discord, is having another minisode— this one being “our heroes lose, big and painful and explosive, and also Oberon completes a Scheme with the help of Mastermind.
    I'd encourage you to separate those out. I like the idea of Oberon showing his Mastermind stroke on screen and taking a power source. But I'm also sitting on the Overlord's weakness and I don't think that our first confrontation with the Overlord is compatible with the Mastermind reveal. Mastermind should be like "behold my ingenious plan, Mwahahahaha!" But with how long we've been sitting on the Overlord's weakness, I really want the first confrontation with him not to be his triumph, but to be a big serious encounter where he hurts us and we hurt him back.

When I took the Overlord's weakness in a box, I didn't expect it to be such a deterrent that we'd never meet him for a long while. I expected it to be something that would get used right away and be a big deal, but where he'd also beat us up for it and maybe make An Offer You Can't Refuse. I'm also hoping to damage his King of the Riders stat as soon as possible to create an opening to start negotiating with the many Rider princesses instead of always having them be terrible and spiteful (or be Kaja with very conflicted emotions that she can't escape). But now that we have been sitting on it, I want a confrontation with him to be a big thing that has lots of uncertain outcomes and hurts both sides. And I don't think that meshes with Mastermind.

What I would suggest, in light of the above, is that if you level up now, you reveal the mastermind stroke first in a mini-story and then have us arrive to discover it in the third full episode and OPEN that episode with a major Overlord confrontation. Make him overwhelming, give him minions and traps and set pieces if you want, have him show off his awesome new overlord stat from his new source of power and go totally hard at us. And let us go hard at him as best we can in the circumstances of arriving too late to confront him. Then he makes an Offer We Can't Refuse and the third episode is about the recovery and aftermath of all that. And it might be about Oberon nursing some of his wounds too.

And yes, maybe that puts off the Adila body swap thing (or maybe that's a part of his offer and we go straight into it, using one stone for many birds), but if you're leveling and taking Mastermind and we're going to confront Oberon that's a huge moment for Kazelia and it's important to me that we get that right too.
    School Fox by Atlur

Quotes

"Man is least himself when he talks in his own person. Give him a mask, and he will tell you the truth.”

18. - Top - End - #168

Quote Originally Posted by Anarion View Post
    Bonds
    Thanqol a bond thing. Since Kazelia can only have one bond with everyone, I'd like to rewrite her bond to be something about working together to protect Helya. That cool with you?
    For sure, I already wrote something similar in reverse.

Raz, I'd like to write a bond with princess Kyouko. We had a nice time together. I would suggest as a matter of PBP functionality that "join your cause as a Companion" doesn't actually mean that they need to travel with us (this might also address some of Thanqol's concerns). I think it means that they support us in a way that we, the players can mechanically call upon when they're around. So like, if I have a Kyouko bond and we encounter her somewhere down the line, I have a mechanical way to call upon her help. If that's cool, I'd like to write something like "Kazelia and Kyouko shared a lovely meal together."

I'm very much thinking of this in some ways like a Chuubo's bond, in that if you write "X character is our companion" as a truth that's in the hands of the players, it's not something that ever comes up in the world until such time as the player makes it so. But it creates a mechanical hook for us to call upon them when it's narratively appropriate and advantages us when we do.
    This is exactly where I'm at; I would have loved to have written 'Bond with Princess Hornet: Contractually enforced friend, buddy and/or pal' but it doesn't feel right for Princess Hornet to join the party off the back of that alone. It's part of why I want the Fast Friends bit in the first place so I can make lots of smaller connections rather than big ones that make the other person sign up before we've even visited their kingdom.

Because of the above, I'd actually be pretty happy not having Kazelia level up at all right now. If we picked something like refresh gear and heal a stat, that would suit me just fine. That would mean that the Overlord might not be able to take Mastermind right now though, which may not be in keeping with what the rest of the group is looking at. But, if we do pick the level up option only once, I'd rather Kazelia not level.

I also feel somewhat uncomfortable choosing what we collectively believe to be an inferior option for end of session because it's the more likely route to a certain narrative. That's very much the opposite of my approach to games. I want to try our best to stop the Overlord and have our defeats come from the fact that the Overlord is big and scary and we might have to make decisions with imperfect information and play out character agendas that lead to suboptimal results. But when we're making a mechanical choice, we should be trying our best to stop the Overlord at every turn. Or at least that's how I prefer to approach the game, I can certainly be outvoted.
    I respect your position here, but I have similar weird tummyfeel misgivings about interrupting the levelling rhythm. It's an important pacing mechanic that operates on a 7-8 page scale so it's tough to course correct from if we mess with it at all. If we get 2/3 I'd prefer the thing to be everyone levels, and not 2 levels and 1 gear choice. Also can be outvoted on this one.

What I would suggest, in light of the above, is that if you level up now, you reveal the mastermind stroke first in a mini-story and then have us arrive to discover it in the third full episode and OPEN that episode with a major Overlord confrontation. Make him overwhelming, give him minions and traps and set pieces if you want, have him show off his awesome new overlord stat from his new source of power and go totally hard at us. And let us go hard at him as best we can in the circumstances of arriving too late to confront him. Then he makes an Offer We Can't Refuse and the third episode is about the recovery and aftermath of all that. And it might be about Oberon nursing some of his wounds too.

And yes, maybe that puts off the Adila body swap thing (or maybe that's a part of his offer and we go straight into it, using one stone for many birds), but if you're leveling and taking Mastermind and we're going to confront Oberon that's a huge moment for Kazelia and it's important to me that we get that right too.
    This is all cool and handsome.

19. - Top - End - #169

Also: Adila's end of issue comedown

- Adila is in a state where she's doing her best to make it seem like she's got herself together. This is effectively taking all her willpower, making her otherwise extremely suggestible and unwilling to take any fights or arguments. She's currently like "I think I should report to the captain" "No," "ok". She'll capitulate basically instantly to anyone with a strong opinion and not push for anything that could potentially bring her into a conflict. A relevant part of this is that she's not going to, say, bring up Alina's community service at all - if Alina brings it up she'd go along with it, but she wouldn't do it herself.

But other than that she comes across as being stable and relatively normal. More submissive than usual but not like she's about to fall apart.

- As a result of this she doesn't have the mental energy to make the big decision on if she goes back to the Captain. She might vaguely make the attempt at some point but if even one person tells her not to do it then she won't. So, the question goes to the floor, is there anyone around who'd tell her not to go back? The obvious person to have opinions is Princess Dandy, but I'm not sure if her position is 'never' or 'not until I'm sure you're feeling better' or what.

20. - Top - End - #170
    Ettin in the Playground

Real talk, I desperately want us to nuke Oberon with that box of song so that we can stop having it already. It feels so weird and so bad to have that hanging over him over such an extended period of time. There's a want of real set pieces where he's a smarmy jerk who won't let us punch him but those haven't happened because Kazelia is equipped with the Facepuncher 5000. So we keep feeling the effects of the places he's been, but never the guy himself and, like, darn it I want to let Raz use him to chew on the scenery and humiliate my princess in ways I promise I will try very hard not to find hot. So let's rip that bandaid off soon, please.

This is exactly where I'm at; I would have loved to have written 'Bond with Princess Hornet: Contractually enforced friend, buddy and/or pal' but it doesn't feel right for Princess Hornet to join the party off the back of that alone. It's part of why I want the Fast Friends bit in the first place so I can make lots of smaller connections rather than big ones that make the other person sign up before we've even visited their kingdom.
    I have literally been doing this the entire game. Alina has bonds with Kaja, Rhyza, Helya, and Tashanna, and none of them are getting on the boat with us when we leave. The game feel we chose makes it weird or else monumentally important when a Princess chooses to join the party, and I think that rather than that meaning we never form connections without burning a level on a Squire custom, we should just treat these things like Persona-style Social links where making friends is its own reward that gives you power when you need it most. We even started with bonds in absentia with Adila I and Ourania, so it's not like there's not already a precedent.

It's what everybody wants, and I'm surprised this hasn't come up and been solved already.

I respect your position here, but I have similar weird tummyfeel misgivings about interrupting the levelling rhythm. It's an important pacing mechanic that operates on a 7-8 page scale so it's tough to course correct from if we mess with it at all. If we get 2/3 I'd prefer the thing to be everyone levels, and not 2 levels and 1 gear choice. Also can be outvoted on this one.
    Gave this some thought after sleeping some more this afternoon and I actually think it's always mechanically optimal to level over other options. Oberon gaining a lot of levels sucks, but a lot of the Overlord advances amount to one time burner dealies so all told he gets less out of advancing than we do. It takes a long time to finish a 'session', so passing over opportunities to advance our characters down their sheets feels awful and I never want to do it. I will punch a cow over the sun if I have to skip advancing for the sake of healing something. For Alina especially it sucks because so much of her gear is ablative. She wants to grow, constantly.

With that said I've noticed we're all really persnickety about earning our advances and each of them representing very specific moments in the characters' arcs, and we need to spend some time hashing that out. I think in general I think the rule should be that Webisodes should be about bridging the gaps between where the story wants us to go and where we need to be to get the things we want without feeling bad about it, though if we're going to use those as a crutch we need to be a little better on the ball about finishing them quickly, because honestly even though the first one was really cool and we wrote all sorts of pretty words that I loved, that's not where the meat of the game is.

- As a result of this she doesn't have the mental energy to make the big decision on if she goes back to the Captain. She might vaguely make the attempt at some point but if even one person tells her not to do it then she won't. So, the question goes to the floor, is there anyone around who'd tell her not to go back? The obvious person to have opinions is Princess Dandy, but I'm not sure if her position is 'never' or 'not until I'm sure you're feeling better' or what.
    Given how many people know what happened, I'm confident Alina would hear about the Watch's decision. If we live in a universe where Alina knows what happened to Adila, she is violently opposed to letting her friend go back to that until they've been thoroughly cleaned out and disinfected as an organization.
    Last edited by PhoeKun; 2019-08-20 at 05:41 PM.

21. - Top - End - #171

I have literally been doing this the entire game. Alina has bonds with Kaja, Rhyza, Helya, and Tashanna, and none of them are getting on the boat with us when we leave. The game feel we chose makes it weird or else monumentally important when a Princess chooses to join the party, and I think that rather than that meaning we never form connections without burning a level on a Squire custom, we should just treat these things like Persona-style Social links where making friends is its own reward that gives you power when you need it most. We even started with bonds in absentia with Adila I and Ourania, so it's not like there's not already a precedent.

It's what everybody wants, and I'm surprised this hasn't come up and been solved already.
    This is a great point. The main reason I never raised it was because I fixated on the Squire's mechanics as being what I wanted, trying to take it with Unusual Upbringing, finding out the rules had changed to make that impossible, and then being like 'welp guess I gotta wait for level five 40 pages from now'.

I will happily note down bonds for Princess Dandy, Princess Hornet, Iron Star Crushes the Strong, and looking back a bit Liza Rippley.

Real talk, I desperately want us to nuke Oberon with that box of song so that we can stop having it already. It feels so weird and so bad to have that hanging over him over such an extended period of time. There's a want of real set pieces where he's a smarmy jerk who won't let us punch him but those haven't happened because Kazelia is equipped with the Facepuncher 5000. So we keep feeling the effects of the places he's been, but never the guy himself and, like, darn it I want to let Raz use him to chew on the scenery and humiliate my princess in ways I promise I will try very hard not to find hot. So let's rip that bandaid off soon, please.

Gave this some thought after sleeping some more this afternoon and I actually think it's always mechanically optimal to level over other options. Oberon gaining a lot of levels sucks, but a lot of the Overlord advances amount to one time burner dealies so all told he gets less out of advancing than we do. It takes a long time to finish a 'session', so passing over opportunities to advance our characters down their sheets feels awful and I never want to do it. I will punch a cow over the sun if I have to skip advancing for the sake of healing something. For Alina especially it sucks because so much of her gear is ablative. She wants to grow, constantly.

With that said I've noticed we're all really persnickety about earning our advances and each of them representing very specific moments in the characters' arcs, and we need to spend some time hashing that out. I think in general I think the rule should be that Webisodes should be about bridging the gaps between where the story wants us to go and where we need to be to get the things we want without feeling bad about it, though if we're going to use those as a crutch we need to be a little better on the ball about finishing them quickly, because honestly even though the first one was really cool and we wrote all sorts of pretty words that I loved, that's not where the meat of the game is.

Given how many people know what happened, I'm confident Alina would hear about the Watch's decision. If we live in a universe where Alina knows what happened to Adila, she is violently opposed to letting her friend go back to that until they've been thoroughly cleaned out and disinfected as an organization.
    All of this stuff has been sentenced to life imprisonment in the extreme agreement zone.

22. - Top - End - #172
    Ettin in the Playground

Pronouncements

End of Session:
    # You protected the Bazaar. If you hadn’t been here, things would have gone very badly: Shazari would have been captured by Jessamine, the Watch would have crumpled under the snake-husband, and the Bazaar would be flattened. It’s safe, for now.
    # You struck a blow against Oberon by wiping two of his pawns from the board. I mean, we all know Ninian’s going to show up later, but a temporary setback is still a setback.
    # You learned about the world and its peoples.

Based on this, I would suggest “everyone levels and refreshes one (1) gear option.”

Fellowship:
    I am willing to grant you Fellowship as long as you all write up a post on how your princess ends up celebrating Carnival, leaving their cares behind for one raucous, devil-haunted night.

Your options for Fellowship Move include the following:
    Spoiler
    Show
    To Market, To Market: Everyone picks one (1) new Gear option from their lists.

King’s Hospitality: While in the Bazaar, you will never be followed, harassed, bothered, spied upon, or otherwise bothered; you will be informed of anything suspicious that happens, and it is impossible for you to be attacked or caught off guard. The King won’t allow it, see.

Shady Dealings: At any time, you can cash in your Fellowship to get anything you want from the Bazaar: a major favor, a massive vehicle, serious funding, or something like that. If you somehow manage to pay them back, you regain Fellowship.

Showdown:
    My current thoughts on pacing are “Mastermind cutscene, showdown at the end of Episode 3.” I want Adila to have a chance to play with the body swap before the Big Fight, and we need time to breathe. So enjoy that doom hanging overhead.

(I also am considering having you meet Ourania afterwards. I am putting this here so that I don’t forget.)

Bond Change:
    This is such a natural and desired change that I see no reason not to make this the way Bonds work, effective immediately.
    Last edited by Raz_Fox; 2019-08-20 at 07:32 PM.
    freedom in the flame

Spoiler
    Show

23. - Top - End - #173
    Titan in the Playground

I think I'm a vote for "To Market to Market" and grabbing a new gear option. Since we're moving on, I'm not sure that us being protected in the Bazaar is that helpful, and it might even make the Bazaar less fun if/when we come back. And the big favor is cool, but I have no idea what I'd want or when we'd ever cash it in, so going for the consistent and repeatable small thing seems better to me.

Also, I guess I'm convinced that we should do double level up and refresh a gear option since Raz says we checked off all three boxes. So we all gain a level. No idea what I want to take, I'd like to find a way to justify an End of Days move but I'm uncertain.
    School Fox by Atlur

Quotes

24. - Top - End - #174
    Ettin in the Playground

>Switch out your Dragon Core and Custom for Squire Core and Custom; you pick 3 Squire moves. Do the same with Agenda and Nature/Purpose.
    >You lose your Dragon Gear but do not get new Gear options; you keep your Light.
    >Keep your bonds and Companion.
    >After strong consideration, I’ll also let you change your stat line, but if you do, save your original stat line for when Adila changes back.
    freedom in the flame

Spoiler
    Show

25. - Top - End - #175

Oh, I need to clarify; Adila wasn't looking to follow Dandy and reconvene with her at the stagecoach. She was planning on going out 100% by herself and taking down the dragon before confronting Dandy again.

It's a terrible plan from someone who is used to being able to cross enormous distances in eyeblink times.

26. - Top - End - #176

Princess Adila of the Watch
    The Temporary Non-Dragon

LOOK
    Ordinary eyes - ordinary skin - borrowed shawl - ordinary body

AGENDA
    Friendship Is Magic: Make friends with whoever you can, whenever you can.
    Be Brave, Take Risks
    Tell Us Of Your People
    Improve The World Around You

STATS
    Blood 0
    Courage +2
    Grace -1
    Sense +2
    Wisdom +1

PURPOSE
    Keep Them Safe
    You are here to make sure they come back home after this is all over, no matter what. When you are with someone you have a Bond with and they take harm, you may take that harm in their place.

CORE MOVES
    Fast Friends
    When you spend a scene by someone's side or Speak Softly with them, you may gain a Bond with them immediately. You can have an unlimited number of Bonds with anybody. People who you have Bonds with do not become Companions. You do not have enough pull with the fellowship to just recruit people. Anyone you have Bonds with will think well of you and will not try to harm you if they can help it, regardless of their feelings for the rest of the fellowship.

You can Command Lore about anyone you have any Bonds with, except for your Bonds with other players. You can Command Lore about Companions, friends, and minions of the Overlord who you have Bonds with, but you cannot Command Lore about the other heroes of the fellowship or about the Overlord.
    This Move cannot be Shared.

Please, Just Listen
    When you Talk Sense to someone, you may erase a Bond with them instead of owing them a favor. When you Speak Softly with someone, you may erase a Bond with them to make them answer a question they refuse to answer.

It's Dangerous to Go Alone
    When you watch someone's back and keep your eyes peeled, you can roll to Overcome any harm against them with +Sense instead of +Blood.

CUSTOM MOVES

We'll Make It
    Your Bonds have the Healing tag, and you can Use them by erasing them. Your Bonds can only be used to heal the person listed in them, and only while you are by their side.

I Won't Let You Down!
    When you Keep Them Busy and get a 7-9, you may erase a Bond to take the 10+ result instead. The Bond must either be with someone you are protecting, or with someone who is helping you to Keep Them Busy.

Run For It!
    When you Get Away by running right past or right through the danger, roll +Courage instead of +Grace. Any allies who run after you may also roll +Courage instead of +Grace to Get Away.

GEAR
    Detective Brill. She's a firebreathing dragon teenager with a mysterious origin, he's a corrupt noir bureaucrat with a nose for trouble. They fight crime! (Master Plan, Backup Plan)
    Shawl, used

The Little Light Silver
    - Lantern
    - Weaponry
    - Lasers
    - Light Shield

BONDS
    Princess Alina is perfect, the kind of being I aspire to be.
    I promised to restore Illumina to Princess Alina
    I danced in the rain with Princess Alina
    The previous Princess Adila is a mystery, and I will learn the truth behind her legend.
    Princess Kazelia stood as my deputy and champion and won a duel on my behalf
    Princess Kazelia reflected me in her eyes
    Princess Hornet is my contractually mandated friend.
    Princess Dandy helped me when I was at my lowest.
    Princess Iron Star Crushes the Strong helped me do something terrible.
    Liza Rippley trusted me against the odds.
    Princess Eska told me about her dreams.
    Princess Eska drank tea with me.

Greymane befriended me in disguise.

ADVANCEMENT
    Level 3
    Last edited by Thanqol; 2019-09-26 at 08:41 PM.

27. - Top - End - #177
    Ettin in the Playground

Oh, I need to clarify; Adila wasn't looking to follow Dandy and reconvene with her at the stagecoach. She was planning on going out 100% by herself and taking down the dragon before confronting Dandy again.

It's a terrible plan from someone who is used to being able to cross enormous distances in eyeblink times.
    Hmmm! Would you prefer “well, you ended up circling back and oh no Dandy’s here and asking for help,” essentially a recontextualization of the post, or would you prefer “you’re so lost. you’re so very, very lost.”
    freedom in the flame

Spoiler
    Show

28. - Top - End - #178

Hmmm! Would you prefer “well, you ended up circling back and oh no Dandy’s here and asking for help,” essentially a recontextualization of the post, or would you prefer “you’re so lost. you’re so very, very lost.”
    I would prefer extremely lost, with caveats.

I've got two really important things to establish here:
    - Adila can be really brave and clever when she's not wallowing in self doubt. This sequence is really meant to exhibit what she's like when she's in a good mood instead of being miserable all the time. As a result the basic emotional tone needs to be positive and energetic.
    - Adila has not thought at all about this decision and needs to instantly and increasingly come to regret it. She doesn't really want to be a human, she just wants to be a smaller dragon.

So this needs to be a disaster for Adila, but it needs to be a high-energy disaster. She needs to continuously blunder into things that were minor inconveniences for a dragon but are life threatening perils to a barely dressed human. And she kind of needs to do this next bit on her own because I need to detach her a little bit from the guilt-and-sadness mindset which will automatically start kicking in if she's in low energy conversation or travel scenes. The ideal emotional endstate is exhausted, filthy, out of breath, giving an absolutely heartfelt THIS SUCKS.

I'm aware that this is a lot more specific preplanning than usual reactive PBP play, but I am trying to get to a specific endgoal - Adila getting out of an emotional pit.

29. - Top - End - #179
    Ettin in the Playground

Cool, cool cool cool, have some distress, you damsel
    freedom in the flame

Spoiler
    Show

30. - Top - End - #180

Cool, cool cool cool, have some distress, you damsel
    ... I deserve this meme.