Halfling in the Playground

Default Inquisition: Discussion

Inquisition: Characters
    Put your character data here
    Inquisition: Story
    Read your mission briefing here
    Inquisition: Discussion
    For out of character talk
    Last edited by Kaspar; 2019-05-30 at 02:23 PM.

2. - Top - End - #2
    Orc in the Playground

BlueKnightGuy

Default Re: Inquisition: Discussion

I forgot to ask, but what are your (GM Kaspar's) thoughts on a Karrikian Lock-Arm, from DH's Book of Judgment (pg. 77)? The book's missing the availability and prices for its cybernetics but FFG's customer support gave a table with its availability as Rare, price 1200t.

Spoiler: From the book
    Show

I was considering having it on a future brawler character but since the Debt-Crusader already has a fast Strength track and I've never got access to the cybernetic I might as well check in advance if it'd be allowed in this campaign instead of dreaming about future ifs.

Also, could I swap out Las training for Power training?

Edit: It's truly amusing how I've recently joined dojango's game with an ocean-worlder PDF trooper and now our first mission in this campaign is in an ocean world.

Edit 2: I'll plop down my secondary sheet here in case I feel like working on it.

Also a list of other characters to work on in the future: performancer warrior-poet, voidfarer turned wasteland runner after a ship disaster, a stuntman/actor who played a hardass daredevil enforcer in a holo-vid series for propaganda purposes and who ends up in hot water after being mistaken for the real deal, the psychic Knight World heir scorned by his family who ends up quite bitter about it, a wasteland crusader on a combat bike trying to get closer to hit people with his sword/hunting lance/power fist, an electoo-covered ganger or mutant.

Spoiler: WIP, Diplomantic Influencer Duelist Person
    Show
    Talky Person #3

"Herpa derpa hurrrrp."

-New character showing off their diplomatic skills.

Spoiler: Basic Information
    Show

Name: Bernardo Alves
    Build: Highborn - Adeptus Arbites - Hierophant
    Divination: 93. There is no substitute for zeal.
    Aptitudes: Defense, Fellowship, Offense, Social, Toughness, Weapon Skill, Willpower.

Appearance & Voice: .

Personality: .

Backstory: .
    Spoiler: Stats & Skills, Talents & Traits
    Show
    Spoiler: Characteristics Breakdown
    Show
    WS: 25 Base +10 PB
    BS: 25 Base +0 PB
    S: 25 Base +5 PB
    T: 20 Base +15 PB
    Ag: 25 Base +5 PB
    Int: 25 Base +0 PB
    Per: 25 Base +0 PB
    WP: 25 Base +10 PB
    Fel: 30 Base +5 PB
    Inf: 30 Base +10 PB +1 Peer Talents

Wounds: 9 Base +5 Rolled
    Initiative: 3 Agility Bonus
    Movement: 3 AB

~~Stats~~

W.Skill B.Skill Strength Toughness Agility Intelligence Perception Willpower Fellowship Influence
    (3) 35 (2) 25 (3) 30 (3) 35 (3) 30 (2) 25 (2) 25 (3) 35 (3) 35 (4) 41
    Wounds: 14/14
    Fate Points: 4/4
    Initiative: +3
    Corruption: 0 | Insanity: 0
    Movement: Half: 3m / Full: 6m / Charge: 9m / Run: 18m
    Carrying Capacity: Max Carrying: 36kg / Max Lifting: 72kg / Max Pushing: 144kg

~~Skills~~

• Awareness (Per);
    • Charm (Fel);
    • Common Lore: Adeptus Arbites, Underworld (Int);
    • Inquiry (Fel);
    • Interrogation (WP);
    • Intimidate (S);
    • Scrutiny (Per).

~~Talents~~

• Spoiler: Clues from the Crowds
      Show
      Description: Once per day, the Acolyte can re-roll a test made to gather information from a group of people.
    • Spoiler: Hatred (Bob Lexmechanic from IT)
      Show
      Description: When fighting opponents of these groups in close combat, the Acolyte gains a +10 bonus to all Weapon Skill tests made against them. He also finds it difficult to back down from a fight with his hated foe, and must make a Challenging (+0) Willpower test to retreat or surrender when fighting them, unless suicidally outnumbered or outclassed.
    • Spoiler:
      Show
      Description: .
    • Spoiler: Peer (Adeptus Arbites)
      Show
      Description: The Acolyte knows how to deal with a particular social group or organisation, or even xenos race. He gains a +10 bonus to all Fellowship and Influence tests when interacting with this chosen group, and at the GM’s discretion can sometimes call upon them for favours. The GM and player may agree to award this talent when appropriate to the adventure or campaign, though the character must still pay the experience cost for the Talent as normal.

This talent can be awarded multiple times for the same group, in which case it should be listed as Peer (X), with X equalling the number of times the talent has been awarded. This can be used to represent groups who particularly like the character and may even be staunch allies. In game terms, the bonus to Fellowship tests increases to +10 times X. Additionally, when the character acquires this talent, he increases his Influence by 1.
    • Spoiler: Weapon Training (Shock)
      Show
      Description: Allows usage of weapons without the -20 Untrained penalty.

~~Traits & Abilities~~

• Spoiler: Breeding Counts
      Show
      Trait's Effect: Any time a highborn character would reduce his Influence, he reduces it by 1 less (to a minimum reduction of 1).
    • Spoiler: The Face of the Law
      Show
      Trait's Effect: An Arbitrator can re-roll any Intimidation and Interrogation test, and can substitute his Willpower bonus for his degrees of success on these tests.
    • Spoiler: Sway the Masses
      Show
      Trait's Effect: In addition to the normal uses of Fate points (see page 293), a Hierophant character may spend a Fate point to automatically succeed at a Charm, Command, or Intimidate skill test with a number of degrees of success equal to his Willpower bonus.
    Spoiler: Inventory
    Show
    • Spoiler: Enforcer Light Carapace Armor
      Show
      Description: A simple enforcer's carapace.

Locations: All | Armor Points: 5 | Max Ag: 45 | Weight: 15.0 kg | Availability: Rare
    • Spoiler: Shock Maul
      Show
      Description: A simple shock maul: a metal haft with a mace-like head that crackles with electricity when activated.

Class: Melee - Shock | Damage: 1d10+6 I | Pen: 0 | Special: Shocking | Weight: 2.5 Kg | Availability: Scarce
    • Spoiler: Best Craftsmanship Clothes
      Show
      Description: Fancy clothes. | Weight: — | Availability: Scarce
    • Spoiler:
      Show
      Description: . | Weight: 2.0 Kg | Availability: Common
    • Spoiler: 3 doses of Stimm
      Show
      Description: . | Weight: — | Availability: Plentiful
    • Spoiler: 12 Lho-sticks
      Show
      Description: Some smokes. Not a lot to see. | Weight: 0.5 Kg | Availability: Common

Implants & Bionics:

• None

Spoiler: Experience Track
    Show
    Current Experience: 600/1000xp
    Experience Gains: 1000xp Starting.
    Advance Track: Peer: Adeptus Arbites (200xp), Charm (100xp), Interrogation (100xp).
    Spoiler: Acquisitions
    Show
    Initial: Best Craftsmanship Clothing.
    Post-Start:
    Last edited by Caellath; 2019-06-03 at 03:54 PM.
    Active, but always unlikely to post from Friday evening to Sunday evening.

3. - Top - End - #3
    Bugbear in the Playground

BlueWizardGirl

So long as we aren't going under the waves to investigate a processing facility and have to turn xenos away from being evil buggers.
    Now if you don't mind, I am somewhat preoccupied telling the laws of physics to shut up and sit down.
    I cast irresistable phantasmal killer as a 4th level spell. No save, just die.

4. - Top - End - #4

BlueWizardGirl

So is the Story thread where the game is taking place, then?
    Now if you don't mind, I am somewhat preoccupied telling the laws of physics to shut up and sit down.

5. - Top - End - #5

OrcBarbarianGuy

I assume so. So we are on board the ship, heading to the world, then?

6. - Top - End - #6
    Orc in the Playground

BlueKnightGuy

I was giving my character a few last tweaks while waiting for an answer from the GM but I suppose I might as well start posting with the assumption we're in transit.

As a suggestion to all people who joined and haven't done so already, it might be good to create an experience track, and possibly a breakdown of your stats as well, for enhanced bookkeeping. The Administratum will probably be thankful.

7. - Top - End - #7

Got a plan for what you will tell to the customs inspection? All those guns and armor will attract notice. The Inquisitor can provide documents if you want to pose as someone. The papers wouldn't even be counterfeit- genuine issue from subsector capital's Administratum.

Quote Originally Posted by Caellath View Post
    -
    Sure. Not a problem.
    Last edited by Kaspar; 2019-05-31 at 02:51 PM.

8. - Top - End - #8
    Orc in the Playground

BlueKnightGuy

Was that "sure" related to the Talent or arm?

And one of the last sheet changes I was considering is related to armor. Enoch was going to join a more wasteland-ish game, and since that isn't the case anymore it isn't far-fetched to think he'd trade off his poor-craftsmanship storm carapace for cc light carapace since the latter's less conspicuous. Not the pc thunder hammer, that's important enough for the concept I'm only ditching it via GM decree.

I got a bit tangled up before posting, but since you're here I can ask: were our characters allowed to roam the ship? That's something important to know.

My intention was having Enoch spend time with the logistics workers of the merchant ship and use his experience with ships and bureaucracy to see if there's any lost-and-found (or just lost) cargo that ended up never delivered, was never collected, or was just forgotten in the crannies of imperial bureaucracy and large scale shipping operations. TL;DR: see if there's small, easy-to-find items we could obtain, or maybe a random selection of crap we could try to use our Influence to acquire.
    Last edited by Caellath; 2019-05-31 at 03:15 PM.

9. - Top - End - #9

Both are good. An you can change the armor too.

Until you have landed you can all still make adjustments and use Influence.

As for the ship, it is rather small one, with a crew of about 50. You had access to everything except private quarters, the bridge and and the central engineering. The ship is not big enough to get any cargo lost.

10. - Top - End - #10

BlueWizardGirl

Adeptus Mechanicus Mystic
    A Psyker from a hive world overun by daemons. Intead of being sent to Terra, she was trained by Inquisitor Andreus' own chief psyker, and declared Sanctioned by Inquisitorial decree.
    So does this mean I have the Sanctioned trait, and start at Psy Rating 2 instead of 1?

11. - Top - End - #11
    Orc in the Playground

BlueKnightGuy

Thanks!

Would the Tithe-Provost title in Enoch's backstory fly with the local Administratum and customs? If we could make an ID with that it'd be great and give us good cover to visit the government bureaucrat.

Is the merchant ship capable of warp travel? The smallest warpship I remember off the top of my head is the Viper scout sloop and it's nearly a kilometer long with over seven thousand crew, while cargo ships are usually bigger. It's kind of important because of Enoch's impression of the ship, since he was born in a well-armed cruiser around 5km long and is still proud of his birthplace.

And derp, I almost forgot to mention/ask how to convert the Unn.Str.(x3) bonus to grappling only the arm gets. The bit about converting the old multipliers to the new flat values (found in OW) says that "These Traits no longer multiply Characteristic Bonuses, but rather increase them by a flat value. A good rule of thumb is that a 3-5 point increase to a Characteristic Bonus is functionally equivalent to the level of the ‘old’ Unnatural Characteristics values".
    Last edited by Caellath; 2019-05-31 at 04:27 PM.

12. - Top - End - #12

Quote Originally Posted by RelentlessImp View Post
    So does this mean I have the Sanctioned trait, and start at Psy Rating 2 instead of 1?
    No, only that you wont get sent to the black ships because an Inquisitor vouched for you.

Would the Tithe-Provost title in Enoch's backstory fly with the local Administratum and customs? If we could make an ID with that it'd be great and give us good cover to visit the government bureaucrat.
    That would work. The rest of the the team could be presented as your assistants and guards.

Is the merchant ship capable of warp travel? The smallest warpship I remember off the top of my head is the Viper scout sloop and it's nearly a kilometer long with over seven thousand crew, while cargo ships are usually bigger. It's kind of important because of Enoch's impression of the ship, since he was born in a well-armed cruiser around 5km long and is still proud of his birthplace.
    Yes. Eisenhower's ship was even smaller, if I recall correctly. In my book, imperial ships run the whole gamut from small to gargantuan. Also, warships tend to have far larger crews than civilian ships.

13. - Top - End - #13
    Orc in the Playground

BlueKnightGuy

Thanks, and posted IC. Only the arm question remaining, I think.

The Training talent swap will also allow me to get more utility stuff, I believe. I'll add it in a bit.

14. - Top - End - #14

OrcBarbarianGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Kaspar View Post
    Got a plan for what you will tell to the customs inspection? All those guns and armor will attract notice. The Inquisitor can provide documents if you want to pose as someone. The papers wouldn't even be counterfeit- genuine issue from subsector capital's Administratum.
    You said the bureaucrat we're going to meet is high-ranked? Just going to name-drop him, say something like "I'm working for the [plausible rogue trader dynasty], here on official business to meet [contact]. Here's my ID card with a 100 throne note paper-clipped to the back."

15. - Top - End - #15
    Orc in the Playground

BlueKnightGuy

Just going to say that my posting's always spotty to non-existent every weekend.

As a good rule of thumb, it's always better to not roll and try to get by with roleplay unless the GM asks for rolls. It prevents giving the GM ideas when the roll fails.
    Last edited by Caellath; 2019-06-02 at 01:08 AM.

16. - Top - End - #16
    Pixie in the Playground

Sorry, I had a busy weekend and didn't get around to posting. Will have a better post rate from now on.

17. - Top - End - #17

OrcBarbarianGuy

Well, we will see whether we can bluff our way through. Was basically going the 'surprise audit' route, and warning the guard that if he lets others know we're here, he'll be in trouble too. "You'll be manning a customs post on Sceptri if you squeal on us".

18. - Top - End - #18
    Orc in the Playground

BlueKnightGuy

Like the captain said, our official documents should get our team through customs without much trouble. They are actually legit, after all. I think bluffing our way through things would come up only if a problem showed up.

What are your plans for Dariel's advancement, Morovir? At first I thought he was going to be part of the diplo-team but the advances and stats seem to say otherwise.

19. - Top - End - #19
    Barbarian in the Playground

Goblin

Advancement-wise, I was planning on making him at least decent in combat, and able to fulfil the archetype and be good at tracking etc.

Basically filling in the left-hand Seeker Sample Path in the Core Rulebook.

20. - Top - End - #20
    Orc in the Playground

BlueKnightGuy

Perhaps ironically, Dariel's a sourpuss but he has the Fellowship-Social aptitude combo that's excellent for most diplomatic skills.

TL;DR replacing what was here before: auspex good, we should get Dariel (or any Awareness people in our party) one.

And RelentlessImp, your corrupted tech-priestess needs Int 40 for the shield and Jaded costs 200xp.
    Last edited by Caellath; 2019-06-03 at 03:23 PM.

21. - Top - End - #21
    Orc in the Playground

BlueKnightGuy

While I dislike double-posting, I have to say it is important to draw the GM's attention to a question I have: do the documents mention the government office Jacobus works in or is his picture and house address all we have with us?

22. - Top - End - #22

OrcBarbarianGuy

Do we want to name-drop our contact or leave everything vague? I vote vague.

23. - Top - End - #23
    Orc in the Playground

BlueKnightGuy

Vague. But my thought is: he works in government, so if we know where he works we'd have an excuse to visit his workplace under official Administratum business.

24. - Top - End - #24

BlueWizardGirl

And RelentlessImp, your corrupted tech-priestess needs Int 40 for the shield and Jaded costs 200xp.
    Ugh. Fixed. Sorry, work's been utter hell lately and I was making characters recently with the scant few hours I have of relaxation.

25. - Top - End - #25
    Orc in the Playground

BlueKnightGuy

Yeah, that happens. I've found myself dropping 100xp talents on my sheet before due being used to 1st edition, and that was without being stressed out. And that reminded me I still have to update my sheet's experience expenditure and I still have to fix Enoch's appearance since it still has the older look I'd given him. Hopefully the browser didn't eat the edit changing the storm trooper carapace to light carapace.

Kaspar, still waiting on a response to this:
    do the documents mention the government office Jacobus works in or is his picture and house address all we have with us?
    Last edited by Caellath; 2019-06-04 at 12:29 PM.

26. - Top - End - #26

Kaspar, still waiting on a response to this:
    Yes, you know his workplace too, the Bureau of Interstellar Commerce.

27. - Top - End - #27
    Orc in the Playground

BlueKnightGuy

Thanks, posted IC.

And I noticed we're talking to each other without having any idea how we look unless we poke at each other's charsheets so here's Enoch's description from the character sheet, for anyone who cares:

Spoiler: Enoch's Appearance
    Show
    As with many voidborn, Enoch is tall and sleek-looking. Unlike many voidborn, he's brown-skinned thanks to his family being only a few generations old arrival to the ship, after an accident involving a previous scribe lineage. Enoch could have avoided the stereotypical fame of the "ill-omened" children of the void weren't his gray eyes so unsettling. His stare is weird to anyone not voidborn or at least used to them.

He has visible muscle tone, making him look like he was born to his birthship's gun crews. He keeps his head and facial hair clean shaven, and he has a few scars—pale lines and jagged cuts on his skin—here and there on his face, with more extensive scarring under his armor and robes. He's left-handed, not that he still has his original hand. His left arm was messily ripped off some time ago and a powerful, bulky "Lock-Arm" prosthetic has been implanted in its place.
    Last edited by Caellath; 2019-06-04 at 04:24 PM.

28. - Top - End - #28
    Orc in the Playground

BlueKnightGuy

I intended to be discreet but that works. Let's say that we perhaps toured the building and asked about the missing employee? I'll add flavor along those lines to the post, just in case.

And assuming we get free time after this mission, you should all totally help Enoch with his collection business.
    Last edited by Caellath; 2019-06-07 at 04:02 PM.

29. - Top - End - #29

OrcBarbarianGuy

We should, you know, set up a perimeter rather than being cooped up in a crashed shuttle. Any rate, going to chuck one of my choke grenades into the doorway once it opens up, hopefully they didn't bring gas masks.

30. - Top - End - #30
    Orc in the Playground

BlueKnightGuy

Feel free to set up a perimeter. Enoch is staying cooped up in the crashed shuttle because it provides cover, he's theoretically a VIP, and he isn't going to charge into melee swinging his hammer this time. He'll provide suppressive fire instead.

Janwin: The group was introduced as assistants and guards. Add that to the fact no one likes tax collectors, that Enoch mentioned he was considering forcefully collecting taxes even from the criminal elements since that's in line with his backstory, and that none of us has pulled out a bolter or plasma gun out of nowhere and I don't think the cover's immediately blown.