New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 1 of 17 1234567891011 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Troll in the Playground

Default Baldur's Gate 3...confirmed!

Anyone else hear about this?
    Last edited by JadedDM; 2019-06-06 at 09:44 PM.

2. - Top - End - #2
    Titan in the Playground

AssassinGuy

Default Re: Baldur's Gate 3...confirmed?

Yes. Direct link to Larian's site for the curious.

Im hopeful. Really enjoyed DOS2, and I think they could do well with it.
    “Evil is evil. Lesser, greater, middling, it's all the same. Proportions are negotiated, boundaries blurred. I'm not a pious hermit, I haven't done only good in my life. But if I'm to choose between one evil and another, then I prefer not to choose at all.”

3. - Top - End - #3
    Firbolg in the Playground

Wowza. I'd play it.

Hopefully we can get a mod to go I->TotSC->SoD->II->ToB->III

SoD optional.
    My one and only handbook: My Totemist Handbook
    My one and only homebrew: Book of Flux
    Spoiler
    Show
    A comment on tiers, by Prime32
    Quote Originally Posted by KillianHawkeye View Post
    As a DM, I deal with character death by cheering and giving a fist pump, or maybe a V-for-victory sign. I would also pat myself on the back, but I can't really reach around like that.
      /l、
    ゙(゚、 。 7
     l、゙ ~ヽ
     じしf_, )ノ

4. - Top - End - #4
    Bugbear in the Playground

Given that Baldur's Gate is the whole reason I'm interested in role-playing games and Dungeons & Dragons in particular, and it's been my favourite game for literally two thirds of my lifespan so far, there are literally no words to express the magnitude of this.
    Spoiler: In case this signature gets lengthy
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Max_Killjoy View Post
    A game setting does need to be designed to be fun and functional to game in.

But there's more to good worldbuilding than piling the "parts to game in" on a big pile.

Farmland isn't there to be adventured in, primarily, but one assumes it's still there and part of the landscape -- just because adventurers don't go there often doesn't mean it doesn't or shouldn't or needn't exist.

5. - Top - End - #5
    Barbarian in the Playground

Looks like Larian finally changed the filename for the image. I guess they realized the mistake a bit too late though heh. As far as Baldurs Gate 3 goes, I cant say I'm really excited for another Baldurs Gate game since really that series storyline is pretty much wrapped up. I am however quite excited for a new DnD game set in the Forgotten Realms which will hopefully be a party based isometric RPG.

6. - Top - End - #6
    Bugbear in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Inarius View Post
    Looks like Larian finally changed the filename for the image. I guess they realized the mistake a bit too late though heh. As far as Baldurs Gate 3 goes, I cant say I'm really excited for another Baldurs Gate game since really that series storyline is pretty much wrapped up. I am however quite excited for a new DnD game set in the Forgotten Realms which will hopefully be a party based isometric RPG.
    Well the city’s still there to be used as the location, and they can tie parts of the story into those previous events. I wonder if they’ll also reference Baldur’s Gate Dark Alliance
    Spoiler: In case this signature gets lengthy
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Max_Killjoy View Post
    A game setting does need to be designed to be fun and functional to game in.

But there's more to good worldbuilding than piling the "parts to game in" on a big pile.

Farmland isn't there to be adventured in, primarily, but one assumes it's still there and part of the landscape -- just because adventurers don't go there often doesn't mean it doesn't or shouldn't or needn't exist.

7. - Top - End - #7
    Troll in the Playground

Or maybe it will even be based on Descent Into Avernus? Could this be the first 5E D&D videogame?

8. - Top - End - #8
    Eldritch Horror in the Playground Moderator

Call me odd, but while I'd like another isometric RPG based off D&D... the Baldur's Gate saga earned its ending with Throne of Bhaal. Making another sequel would cheapen the story, when I'd rather see the same skill and writing quality put towards a new saga instead.

9. - Top - End - #9
    Barbarian in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by The Glyphstone View Post
    Call me odd, but while I'd like another isometric RPG based off D&D... the Baldur's Gate saga earned its ending with Throne of Bhaal. Making another sequel would cheapen the story, when I'd rather see the same skill and writing quality put towards a new saga instead.
    I wouldn't say thats odd, I agree with you. I mean I could see a few ways they could continue the character if they really wanted, but the story feels complete as is and doesn't really need anything else imo. Honestly I'd bet they're just calling it Baldurs Gate 3 for name recognition while following a new PC who bumps into some companions from the prior games.

10. - Top - End - #10
    Titan in the Playground

I'm not thrilled. I didn't particularly enjoy Larian's games that I did play, Divinity 2 and DOS2. And Baldur's Gate should be allowed to rest in peace. Though as others said, it's likely that it has little or nothing to do with the original saga's story and is just using the name for recognition.
    My FFRP characters. Avatar by Ashen Lilies. Sigatars by Ashen Lilies, Gullara and Purple Eagle.
    Interested in the Nexus FFRP setting? See our Discord server.

11. - Top - End - #11
    Titan in the Playground

I would have more assumed to would likely be Divinity OS 3, if it's larien, myself, with the image title, if it was labelled BG3, being an in-joke or obfuscatement they realised was a bad idea.

I'd certainly think it was more likely than Larien doing BG3 (would they even USE D&D? Whcih edition?), anyway.

Especially, as Glyph rightly pointed out that we had a solid conclusion to BG that we really couldn't carry on from, so it would be "Forgotten Realms game based in the same area..." in reality.

Call me slightly sceptical, then. (I mean, it'll be great for another Larien RPG, I played through both DS for the first time recently as they clocked up 260 hours between them, but...)
    Last edited by Aotrs Commander; 2019-05-31 at 06:16 AM.

12. - Top - End - #12

The saga of Baldur's Gate ended with Throne of Bhaal.

Baldur's Gate games are about the Bhaalspawn. That story is over. I don't mind other dnd games in the same mould, but calling it Baldur's Gate sounds like trying to cash in on nostalgia and brand popularity, and it's not the sort of creative attitude I will trust from a game creator.

13. - Top - End - #13

Oh man!

They could totally pick up where ToB left off. Import your save and everything.

Went good god? Murder some evil gods.

Went bad god? Murder some good gods.

Went mortal? Avenge Viconia.
    My one and only handbook: My Totemist Handbook
    My one and only homebrew: Book of Flux
    Spoiler
    Show
    A comment on tiers, by Prime32
    Quote Originally Posted by KillianHawkeye View Post
    As a DM, I deal with character death by cheering and giving a fist pump, or maybe a V-for-victory sign. I would also pat myself on the back, but I can't really reach around like that.
      /l、
    ゙(゚、 。 7
     l、゙ ~ヽ
     じしf_, )ノ

14. - Top - End - #14
    Librarian in the Playground Moderator

Count me in the "The Baldur's Gate Series is over." You want to make a new Neverwinter Nights? That's cool, that's not a story of a single character.

I feel the concept of Mass Effect: Andromeda was more justified than a BG3. Mass Effect 1-3 was the story of Commander Shepard, but the universe was bigger than that, and called the Mass Effect Universe. Baldur's Gate was the story of the Bhaalspawn, and its larger universe has another name.
    The Cranky Gamer
    *It isn't realism, it's verisimilitude; the appearance of truth within the framework of the game.
    *Picard management tip: Debate honestly. The goal is to arrive at the truth, not at your preconception.
    *Mutant Dawn for Savage Worlds!
    *The One Deck Engine: Gaming on a budget
    Written by Me on DriveThru RPG
    There are almost 400,000 threads on this site. If you need me to address a thread as a moderator, include a link.

15. - Top - End - #15
    Ettin in the Playground

GnomeWizardGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Hall View Post
    Count me in the "The Baldur's Gate Series is over." You want to make a new Neverwinter Nights? That's cool, that's not a story of a single character.

I feel the concept of Mass Effect: Andromeda was more justified than a BG3. Mass Effect 1-3 was the story of Commander Shepard, but the universe was bigger than that, and called the Mass Effect Universe. Baldur's Gate was the story of the Bhaalspawn, and its larger universe has another name.
    I would actually say the opposite - a sequel named the same as Neverwinter Nights implies a continuation of the same story through the "Nights" portion of the title, while calling something "Baldur's Gate" is simply referring to the city. At best it's the same equivalence.

That said, the "III" is objectionable unless it's a direct story continuation. Which it shouldn't be, because the story was wrapped up. Call it "Baldur's Gate: Subtitle related to the Plot" or some such. Heck, Baldur's Gate: Dark Alliance already did exactly that. I'm oddly amused that there was apparently a GBA version of that game.

While the BG games never really settled with me, what I did play of the second game would make me interested in seeing Larian's take on the setting. That is, assuming they do straight turn-based like their other titles.

16. - Top - End - #16

Quote Originally Posted by Rodin View Post
    I would actually say the opposite - a sequel named the same as Neverwinter Nights implies a continuation of the same story through the "Nights" portion of the title, while calling something "Baldur's Gate" is simply referring to the city. At best it's the same equivalence.

That said, the "III" is objectionable unless it's a direct story continuation. Which it shouldn't be, because the story was wrapped up. Call it "Baldur's Gate: Subtitle related to the Plot" or some such. Heck, Baldur's Gate: Dark Alliance already did exactly that. I'm oddly amused that there was apparently a GBA version of that game.

While the BG games never really settled with me, what I did play of the second game would make me interested in seeing Larian's take on the setting. That is, assuming they do straight turn-based like their other titles.
    But there's no continuation of any story between NWN and NWN2

17. - Top - End - #17
    Ettin in the Playground

GnomeWizardGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Cikomyr View Post
    Huh, okay. I had actually scrubbed from my mind that Neverwinter Nights 2 existed. As in, I played it, but I literally couldn't tell you a single thing about the plot or the characters.

That's fair enough I suppose then.

18. - Top - End - #18
    Titan in the Playground

AssassinGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Cikomyr View Post
    Well, sort of. NWN2 takes place in the aftermath of 1, and the damage caused in 1 is a significant part of why the protagonist needs to step up the way they do in 2.
    “Evil is evil. Lesser, greater, middling, it's all the same. Proportions are negotiated, boundaries blurred. I'm not a pious hermit, I haven't done only good in my life. But if I'm to choose between one evil and another, then I prefer not to choose at all.”

19. - Top - End - #19

Flumph

Quote Originally Posted by Keltest View Post
    Well, sort of. NWN2 takes place in the aftermath of 1, and the damage caused in 1 is a significant part of why the protagonist needs to step up the way they do in 2.
    Which would be a possible way to do a Baldur's Gate 3. A story set in the aftermath of the Bhaalspawn war where you play as a new character and things that CHARNAME did are still echoing around the sword coast.

20. - Top - End - #20

Quote Originally Posted by Keltest View Post
    OK. I know my answer below may seem like me arguing over pointless tidbits, but I feel it's the core of my argument.

What you are describing is the continuation of a setting, not the continuation of a story.

Baldur's Gate has never been about the setting, only about a character's personal story. You know why I can make this statement?

Because the setting changes completely from game to game.

Baldur's Gate was.. In/around Baldur's Gate.
    Baldur's Gate II had nothing to do with Baldur's Gate at any moment. It was entirely about Ann and the sorrounding countryside (and underdark)
    Throne of Bhaal is set in Tethyr.

The location was never important: the main character was. It was, and always has been, about the Bhaalspawn.

Neverwinter Nights? The only connectivity between the two games is the setting. Hence why NWN games have to be about the city, one way or the other. That's the connecting thread.

21. - Top - End - #21
    Titan in the Playground

This, although with games like Pillars of Eternity and Divinity: Original Sin still on my list to finish I'm finding myself a lot less interested in a D&D game than I would have been a decade ago. Not uninterested, but if they revealed new games for not just the Forgotten Realms, but also Eberron, Dark Sun, Birthright (I'm thinking a Turn Based Strategy game instead of an isometric RPG), and Spelljammer I wouldn't be preordering them.

Actually, I wouldn't mind seeing a D&D TBS in a more Fire Emblem style anyway, or something more like Temple of Elemental Evil was.
    Snazzy avatar (now back! ) by Honest Tiefling.

RIP Laser-Snail, may you live on in our hearts forever.

Spoiler: playground quotes
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Zelphas View Post
    So here I am, trapped in my laboratory, trying to create a Mechabeast that's powerful enough to take down the howling horde outside my door, but also won't join them once it realizes what I've done...twentieth time's the charm, right?
    Quote Originally Posted by Lord Raziere View Post
    How about a Jovian Uplift stuck in a Case morph? it makes so little sense.

22. - Top - End - #22

Minority opinion: I want an Infinity Engine version of the two Dark Sun games: Shattered Lands and Wake of the Ravager.
    The Cranky Gamer
    *It isn't realism, it's verisimilitude; the appearance of truth within the framework of the game.
    *Picard management tip: Debate honestly. The goal is to arrive at the truth, not at your preconception.
    There are almost 400,000 threads on this site. If you need me to address a thread as a moderator, include a link.

23. - Top - End - #23
    Eldritch Horror in the Playground Moderator

Is a Spelljammer 4X or RTS an option?

24. - Top - End - #24

Is a Spelljammer 4X or RTS an option?
    Spell jammer role-playing game would be ****ing awesome.

25. - Top - End - #25
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Hall View Post
    Minority opinion: I want an Infinity Engine version of the two Dark Sun games: Shattered Lands and Wake of the Ravager.
    Definitely this. That setting has been so harshly underutilized that it's not even funny.

26. - Top - End - #26

Dark Sun centric game would be awesome.

Make it a Tyranny-like game

27. - Top - End - #27

Quote Originally Posted by Cespenar View Post
    Definitely this. That setting has been so harshly underutilized that it's not even funny.
    They have rebuilds of Baldur's Gate, Icewind Dale, and Pool of Radiance in Neverwinter Nights 2's engine... but no one wants to do Shattered Lands.
    The Cranky Gamer

28. - Top - End - #28
    Ettin in the Playground

I am in the same boat. I positively *love* BG saga... but it's over. And I'm kinda sad because of it. At the same time, BG: ToB was contentious in it's own time. It's still objectively a great game. Not on par with SoA... but still, more than good. Great, even.

And I want those memories intact. Call me purist, call me elitist... you might not be too far off the mark. But there will never be another Irenicus, Minsc, Imoen, Sarevok... and even Jan Jansen, Ilmater rest his black soul.

Much like Glyphstone, I would prefer altogether new game. I am not objecting to resurrecting Infinity engine... making it anew, even.

But let Baldur's Gate rest on it's well deserved laurels.
    Adrie, half elven bard. Drawing by Vulion, avatar by CheesePirate. Colored version by Callos_DeTerran. Thanks a lot, you guys.
    This place is not a place of honor…no highly esteemed deed is commemorated here… nothing valued is here.
    "There will come a day so dark you will pray for death. On that day your prayers will be answered."
    Book of shadows, book of night, wake the beast and banish light.

29. - Top - End - #29
    Titan in the Playground

Lizardfolk

I want a Lost Empires game, either one at the fall of Imaskar or Netheril. Deific invasions and collapsing flying cities are fantastic.

Spelljammer would also be amazing.
    Vibranium: If it was on the periodic table, its chemical symbol would be "Bs".

30. - Top - End - #30
    Ettin in the Playground

I have to admit that I never managed to play the Baldur's Gate games, but I would look forward to this game. Having went back and played some retro style games, Shadowrun and Battletech (kind of retro style, turn based tactical games are few and far between at this point at least) I've really found them a lot more engaging than so many of the modern RPGs which are more action game than anything. So more quality games along those lines would be welcome.

I can't say much for the storyline of Baldur's gate, but the name is well known enough that it is easy to see why they would use it if they could. The name is much better known than Forgotten Realms. I'm sure there are plenty of ways to tie into the original story without trying to re-tell or change it.